Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 1432 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #42931 of 42942 Old 06-22-2014, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 74
The way ARC does it's sub correction is correct and the preferred way. You ideally should treat all subs as one and apply an EQ that way. While it may seem inuitive to EQ them all individually, anthem is correct in their approach. You can certainly argue that there is still manual setting of distance and phase but it's pretty straightforward to do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42932 of 42942 Old 06-22-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
So, is a mono cable absolutely necessary, or will a stereo cable work??
Stereo cables work perfectly.
post #42933 of 42942 Old 06-22-2014, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Stereo cables work perfectly.

Thanks Roger. I was actually able to find a mono cable at RS, even though I could not find it on their website.

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #42934 of 42942 Old 06-22-2014, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
The way ARC does it's sub correction is correct and the preferred way. You ideally should treat all subs as one and apply an EQ that way. While it may seem inuitive to EQ them all individually, anthem is correct in their approach. You can certainly argue that there is still manual setting of distance and phase but it's pretty straightforward to do that.

Audyssey also treats the subs as one. But first it eq's the subs to each other, then matches them together, treating them as one, to the other speakers (and the room).
The sub matching that XT32 --and the SVS AS-EQ1 and the DSPeaker units, and others-- just saves the time needed to phase match the subs yourself.

I spent hours matching my subs using QM, and was able to get it pretty good.
I used the SVS AS-EQ1 and it took minutes and did a better job. I sold the SVS unit when I bought the Integra since XT32 had the same sub eq included.
Since I went back to Anthem I have been using the DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0 Dual Core. It matches my subs to each other better and faster than I can do. I then use ARC.
I stand by my statement that ARC would be improved if it were able to do dual sub equalization on top of everything else it does now. Hopefully they will include that feature on their future units.

Tom

Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #42935 of 42942 Old 06-23-2014, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
Audyssey also treats the subs as one. But first it eq's the subs to each other, then matches them together, treating them as one, to the other speakers (and the room).
The sub matching that XT32 --and the SVS AS-EQ1 and the DSPeaker units, and others-- just saves the time needed to phase match the subs yourself.

I spent hours matching my subs using QM, and was able to get it pretty good.
I used the SVS AS-EQ1 and it took minutes and did a better job. I sold the SVS unit when I bought the Integra since XT32 had the same sub eq included.
Since I went back to Anthem I have been using the DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0 Dual Core. It matches my subs to each other better and faster than I can do. I then use ARC.
I stand by my statement that ARC would be improved if it were able to do dual sub equalization on top of everything else it does now. Hopefully they will include that feature on their future units.

Tom
This is just symantics in terminology but ARC does do multiple sub EQ it doesn't phase and level match multiple subs.

I think what you're saying--and it's a fair point--is the option to do multiple sub phase and level matching in addition to the EQ curve.

It's important to note that phase isn't part of even the single sub proceess with ARC.
post #42936 of 42942 Old 06-23-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Let's not forget that Audyssey down-samples all data to 48kHz which shocked the heck of out me. So all your Hirez sources at 96kHz, 176kHz and 192kHz will be processed at 48kHz by Audyssey. So What's the point paying extra coin for these pristine hirez sources only to be down-sampled to 48KHz??? The analogs will be output with a limited frequency range of 24 kHz(in theory).

Please see attachment of the Marantz AV8801 pre-pro which uses Audyssey MultiEQ XT32. The frequency response curve with Xt32 activated speaks for itself.

But ARC samples and processes analog signals up to 96KHz and digitals up to 192kHz. BuYah!!!

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/audio...all-pages.html
Attached Images
File Type: gif Anthem-Room-Correction-FrequencyResponse-24-96-AudysseyXT32-On.gif (15.1 KB, 20 views)

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630

Last edited by dmusoke; 06-23-2014 at 11:19 AM.
post #42937 of 42942 Old 06-23-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
Let's not forget that Audyssey down-samples all data to 48kHz which shocked the heck of out me. So all your Hirez sources at 96kHz, 176kHz and 192kHz will be processed at 48kHz by Audyssey. So What's the point paying extra coin for these pristine hirez sources only to be down-sampled to 48KHz??? The analogs will be output with a limited frequency range of 24 kHz(in theory).

Please see attachment of the Marantz AV8801 pre-pro which uses Audyssey MultiEQ XT32. The frequency response curve with Xt32 activated speaks for itself.

But ARC samples and processes analog signals up to 96KHz and digitals up to 192kHz. BuYah!!!

post #42938 of 42942 Old 06-24-2014, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
This is just symantics in terminology but ARC does do multiple sub EQ it doesn't phase and level match multiple subs.

I think what you're saying--and it's a fair point--is the option to do multiple sub phase and level matching in addition to the EQ curve.

It's important to note that phase isn't part of even the single sub proceess with ARC.

I use the process explained in the link at the bottom of dmusoke's post to phase match my subs to my speakers. Takes a little extra time but its well worth it. It's an important final step when doing ARC.

post #42939 of 42942 Old 06-24-2014, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Great point. I had forgotten about the down sampling that Audyssey does.
One more reason to go with ARC.

post #42940 of 42942 Old 07-03-2014, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will the ARC-2 software be available for the D2V-3D? Is it better than the ARC-1 software we currently use?
post #42941 of 42942 Old 07-03-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 244
No and No. ARC-2 is more of a software upgrade for the ARC process because the new receivers work over USB. There is no benefit in terms of actually processing performance and from what I've been told by the engineers at Anthem the ARC solution in the D2V is still the most robust and capable of all Anthem products.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #42942 of 42942 Old Today, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Will the D2V be able to get updated to Atmos and DTS-UHD in the near future?

Dali Helicon 400MK2'S | Dali Helicon C200 MK2 | Dali Phantom Ikon's | Paradigm Signature Sub1 | OPPO 105D | Quake 10B | Arcam FMJ P777 Power Amp | Primare SP33 | JVC Dila 950 | AudioQuest Yukon XLR audio cables |Pioneer Kuro 500A | Tivo | Harmony 1100
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page