Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 1434 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 131Likes

post #42991 of 44652 Old 08-06-2014, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sometimes when i open avm 50v says power interrrupted than its work without problem what s that mean ?

Last edited by barasn; 08-07-2014 at 12:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42992 of 44652 Old 08-07-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2290 Post(s)
Liked: 1092
It means it lost power at some point. Only effect I know of is it can throw off the internal clock.
post #42993 of 44652 Old 08-07-2014, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Power interrupted check current time said whats between time and power cant understand
post #42994 of 44652 Old 08-07-2014, 04:01 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
^ The Anthem has a rechargeable battery which maintains the clock even if the unit loses power.

I believe you will get that message if the rechargeable battery has run out of charge.

If it is happening on most every power up, then your Anthem may need service to replace that battery.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #42995 of 44652 Old 08-07-2014, 09:10 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 700
post #42996 of 44652 Old 08-08-2014, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
ARC vs Audyssey any experience?
I have limited experience with ARC and it's been a few years. My opinion is that Audyssey Pro is more on par with ARC comparing other versions of Audyssey I didn't like my options as much and I'd consider target audience to be non-installer and more casual enthusiast. That's just my opinion and I'm open to being wrong. Audyssey pro also gives you more graphs and I believe more filters and measurement positions. I haven't looked at it in some time as I said.
post #42997 of 44652 Old 08-09-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ The Anthem has a rechargeable battery which maintains the clock even if the unit loses power.

I believe you will get that message if the rechargeable battery has run out of charge.

If it is happening on most every power up, then your Anthem may need service to replace that battery.
--Bob
Yikes, mine does that all the time but I thought it was normal (and annoying)

Thanks!

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #42998 of 44652 Old 08-09-2014, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

--Bob
Is it really a rechargeable battery or is it like standard lithium battery that you find these day on all the computer motherboard ?
post #42999 of 44652 Old 08-09-2014, 04:48 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ I'm not really sure. I think it is rechargeable as there are plenty of old units out there which are NOT losing the date/time every time they are powered off or lose wall power. Dating back to the original D2 units, that's quite a few years.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #43000 of 44652 Old 08-10-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

My 50V and I'm pretty sure my old 20 before it behaved the same as I recall. They would display that message every time they lose wall power, be it from an outage or from being unplugged. But they never showed it after just being off. Now since I don't really care about the time on them, I don't recall if they actually lost time or not, I want to say not. I always thought it was just a precautionary message saying, hey, power was lost, and since we can't be sure the time is still right, you should check it.
post #43001 of 44652 Old 08-24-2014, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Two problems with Statement D2

I hope the forum can assist me.

The theater is set up and complete. I have an OPPO BDP-105D as the source and a Statement D2 with v1.47 firmware. HDMI Audio output is PCM. I have all possible outputs on the OPPO going into the Anthem (HDMI, 5.1 Analog, XLR Stereo), including the second HDMI out on the OPPO as split audio to the Anthem. If there is any setting I have missed here, let me know. :-)

First problem: Every movie I play through the OPPO, after turning everything on, I do not get the center channel sound. I switch to analog 6 channel, then back to HDMI, and the center channel comes back. That, though, introduces the second problem. I get a loud "POP" through the speakers when I switch between analog and digital sources. It scared the crap out of me the first time because it was so loud.

OPPO tells me it is because I set the Anthem up with auto digital, which I turned off, then the center channel seemed to work when I switch BDs and leave all the equipment on. I am wondering, though, if it is not the OPPO since I have been having other issues like freezing on DVDs and some of the apps (Berliner app, for example).

Has anyone else suffered through this and could it be something simple I have overlooked in getting this to work?

Thanks in advance,

-Steve
post #43002 of 44652 Old 08-24-2014, 10:37 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Disconnect the HDMI cable from the HDMI 2 output of the OPPO. You only need the single cable from its HDMI 1 output to the D2. The HDMI 1 cable will carry best quality video AND audio to the D2 and without the extra complexity of dual cabling HDMI handshakes. Seriously, you lose nothing using just the one cable. Double check to be sure you don't confuse the HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 output sockets.

Set the OPPO to explicit 1080p output resolution (not Auto or Source Direct) and to HDMI Audio LPCM (not Auto).

Turning off Auto Digital in the D2 is correct advice.

The correct firmware for your D2 is Official firmware v1.33 (available from Anthem's Support Downloads page). The Beta V1.47f firmware you are using now was created to deal with certain HDMI specific problems in other hardware but is actually LESS reliable for the hardware (e.g., Display and Sources) most people have.

Issues with freezing of the OPPO should be posted in the 105D thread in the Blu-ray Players forum here, and folks can help you sort that out. Usually there are simple answers.

You should use a 6 foot HDMI cable (not shorter or longer) between the OPPO and the D2, even if the placement is closer. The cable provided by OPPO with the player is a good one. Make sure the HDMI plugs are fully inserted straight into the sockets with nothing (e.g., cable weight or kinks) tugging on the plug. HDMI plugs are just friction fit, and it only takes a small shift of plug in socket to screw things up.

Check that you have the latest firmware in the OPPO. In Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information, the "Main" firmware number should end "0515".
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 08-24-2014 at 10:42 AM.
post #43003 of 44652 Old 08-24-2014, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bob,

Thank you for your quick response. I apologize that I did not mention this earlier but I send the HDMI 1 output of the OPPO to my 4k projector which is why I am using the second HDMI port for audio. I will switch out the HDMI cable to the Anthem ASAP. Right now, I am using a redmere 3 foot HDMI cable from Monoprice but will go back to a 6 foot cable. I added cable supports on the back of the rack to support the HDMI cables but will confirm that they are not putting any strain on the cable or the HDMI "outlet."

I thought about going back to the 1.33 firmware but thought the 1.47 was to deal with new HDMI hardware. I will switch back the firmware ASAP as well.

Bob, thanks again for your advice and guidance. It is nothing short of amazing how much knowledge you have and are willing to share.

-Steve
post #43004 of 44652 Old 08-24-2014, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekappy View Post
Bob,

Thank you for your quick response. I apologize that I did not mention this earlier but I send the HDMI 1 output of the OPPO to my 4k projector which is why I am using the second HDMI port for audio. I will switch out the HDMI cable to the Anthem ASAP. Right now, I am using a redmere 3 foot HDMI cable from Monoprice but will go back to a 6 foot cable. I added cable supports on the back of the rack to support the HDMI cables but will confirm that they are not putting any strain on the cable or the HDMI "outlet."

I thought about going back to the 1.33 firmware but thought the 1.47 was to deal with new HDMI hardware. I will switch back the firmware ASAP as well.

Bob, thanks again for your advice and guidance. It is nothing short of amazing how much knowledge you have and are willing to share.

-Steve
^
I did that once, sending oppo-hdmi-1 to my tv and oppo-hdmi-2 to anthem-d2 to tv.
I seems that when I did that the tv replied faster that it had only 2 speakers and the oppo refused to send the center channel to the anthem d2.

And it did not always do that, so I remove the 2nd hdmi connection. Even with the 'split audio' option it seem that there is some hdmi handshake going and the fastest win.
post #43005 of 44652 Old 08-24-2014, 01:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

OK, so you do *NOT* have both HDMI cables running from the OPPO to the D2? Good.

The Redmere 3 foot cable is OK. The Redmere technology (active circuit in the plug at one end) makes the cable act "like" a 6 foot, normal cable, regardless of its length. Just remember Redmere is directional, so you have to have the cable plugged in the correct way around. The long cable run to your projector might also need special attention. Redmere is good for that as well.

Now, since you have OPPO HDMI 1 going direct to the projector and OPPO HDMI 2 going direct to the D2, you *MAY* have a problem with leaving the HDMI output of the D2 also connected to the projector. The reason is, if the projector keeps its non-selected HDMI inputs "live", it will see the HDMI handshake coming into it from two directions -- direct from the OPPO and also from the back of the D2. You can eliminate the video output from the D2 by specifying that "NONE" will be sent to the Scaler in the Setup > Source Setup line you are using with the OPPO. Alternatively, there may be a setting you need to make in the projector to let it shut down the HDMI input (from the D2) which it is not actually using. The usual culprit is either HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel -- not to be confused with Anthem Room Correction), or HDMI CEC -- remote control over the HDMI cable.
--Bob

post #43006 of 44652 Old 08-24-2014, 01:22 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranle View Post
^
I did that once, sending oppo-hdmi-1 to my tv and oppo-hdmi-2 to anthem-d2 to tv.
I seems that when I did that the tv replied faster that it had only 2 speakers and the oppo refused to send the center channel to the anthem d2.

And it did not always do that, so I remove the 2nd hdmi connection. Even with the 'split audio' option it seem that there is some hdmi handshake going and the fastest win.
The problem is with Auto Dig enabled in the D2, the D2 is trying to decide whether to use the HDMI audio input or Analog audio input (depending on whether HDMI audio is present or not). And THAT complicates the handshake that the player sees.
--Bob

post #43007 of 44652 Old 08-26-2014, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello
Been in the market for a new processor to replace my Lexicon mc8b. Ive been researching the AVM 50v 3d. I have some questions and I would appreciate some answers please.

1) It is my understanding that the avm50v3d does not have OSD for 3d content. Is this true and can you get OSD for just regular HDMI hookup?

2)Does it have anything similar to Logic 7?

3) Can you use phono with a phono Preamp?

4)Does anyone think there will be a upgrade to 4K?

5)Will the latest models being shipped have the latest firmware (ARCv 3.02 and v3.10)

6) Will there be a upgrade from 6 analog ins to 8 analog ins? If not possibly on a later version of the AVM50v 3d?

Thanks for any replies,

Rob
post #43008 of 44652 Old 08-27-2014, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hey guys, I am in the need of a processor that can do basic HDMI switching and has balanced outputs. My source is an Oppo 103D. If I were to pick up the Statement D2 with ARC, I can set my 103 to decode the blu-rays ( in order to get DTS MA) and pass it through the Anthem via HDMI, correct? Only other source is a DirecTV genie.
post #43009 of 44652 Old 08-27-2014, 05:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDec View Post
Hello
Been in the market for a new processor to replace my Lexicon mc8b. Ive been researching the AVM 50v 3d. I have some questions and I would appreciate some answers please.

1) It is my understanding that the avm50v3d does not have OSD for 3d content. Is this true and can you get OSD for just regular HDMI hookup?
Yes, you get an OSD unless you're using the "Through" function (video passthrough), which is required for 3D.

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure what Logic 7 does, but there's DPL IIx, Anthem's proprietary solution, and DTS Neo.

Quote:
My wild guess is that there will be a new model once the "true" 4K HDMI hardware (ie that capable of HDCP 2.2 and 18Gbps) becomes available. There maybe be an upgrade/trade-in program at that time. There was something like that for the 50V/D2V.

Quote:
5)Will the latest models being shipped have the latest firmware (ARCv 3.02 and v3.10)
I would assume so.

Quote:
6) Will there be a upgrade from 6 analog ins to 8 analog ins? If not possibly on a later version of the AVM50v 3d?
I'm sure there won't be an upgrade, that would be a major hardware (chassis) change, and I kind of doubt there will be more on a future version. Analog inputs are kind of dead with HDMI now.
post #43010 of 44652 Old 08-27-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDec View Post
Hello

OSD works with anything other than Pass Through which is used for Blu Ray 3D playback

Anthem uses PLIIx

3) Can you use phono with a phono Preamp?

The Anthem phono input requires a phono preamp

Pure speculation. Probably not. They had an opportunity when they devised the 3D upgrade and stated they had little or no interest.

Yes. but the software is easily uploaded so don't hesitate buying a older or used unit

Again pure speculation. Probably not. There are not many 8 channel analog sources or 6 channel analog sources either

Thanks for any replies,

Rob
Personally, if your Lexicon works I would wait. The newer processors require less video processing and the newer HDMI, codecs, h265 and 4K will be a must.
post #43011 of 44652 Old 08-27-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1413 Post(s)
Liked: 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnM5 View Post
Hey guys, I am in the need of a processor that can do basic HDMI switching and has balanced outputs. My source is an Oppo 103D. If I were to pick up the Statement D2 with ARC, I can set my 103 to decode the blu-rays ( in order to get DTS MA) and pass it through the Anthem via HDMI, correct? Only other source is a DirecTV genie.
If I was in your position I wouldn't use the HDMI switching of the Anthem at all. Feed the Genie into one of the HDMI inputs on the Oppo and use it for switching. Send HDMI 2 to the Anthem for audio and HDMI 1 out to your display directly. This allows you to take advantage of the video processing in the Oppo for satellite sources and you don't have to worry about any HDMI synch issues with different resolutions with the Anthem. Best of all worlds.

My Home Theater
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
post #43012 of 44652 Old 08-27-2014, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
If I was in your position I wouldn't use the HDMI switching of the Anthem at all. Feed the Genie into one of the HDMI inputs on the Oppo and use it for switching. Send HDMI 2 to the Anthem for audio and HDMI 1 out to your display directly. This allows you to take advantage of the video processing in the Oppo for satellite sources and you don't have to worry about any HDMI synch issues with different resolutions with the Anthem. Best of all worlds.
Excellent idea!
post #43013 of 44652 Old 08-27-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
Personally, if your Lexicon works I would wait. The newer processors require less video processing and the newer HDMI, codecs, h265 and 4K will be a must.
I just want to comment because I see this a lot. H.265 (or H.264, or VC1, or MPEG-2 or whatever) have no impact on a video processor, they are all decoded to raw video in the player. You will not see or need H.265 support in a AVR, SSP or Video Processor. H.265 and the like have nothing to do with HDMI or video processing.

The only way you might see it, is if they start integrating streaming services (Netflix/etc) in which case the decoding would be done in the AVR/SSP/VP, but I find that unlikely except maybe in HTIBs.
post #43014 of 44652 Old 08-27-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I just want to comment because I see this a lot. H.265 (or H.264, or VC1, or MPEG-2 or whatever) have no impact on a video processor, they are all decoded to raw video in the player. You will not see or need H.265 support in a AVR, SSP or Video Processor. H.265 and the like have nothing to do with HDMI or video processing.

The only way you might see it, is if they start integrating streaming services (Netflix/etc) in which case the decoding would be done in the AVR/SSP/VP, but I find that unlikely except maybe in HTIBs.
I don't think I meant to infer that the processor was necessary for h265 etc only its switching and the capability of passing the signal of which it currently cannot. I currently cannot use my Anthem for any HDMI 2.0. H265, 4K or other new video formats or codecs.
post #43015 of 44652 Old 08-28-2014, 06:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

But that's my point, H.265 will never make it to your SSP. H.264 never leaves the BD player or video streamer today. So you don't switch H.265, you don't pass H.265, and you won't ever see H.265 on a video processor spec sheet. I think people get confused because they see H.265 on TV spec sheets, but that's only for the TVs internal apps (streaming/Netflix/USB/etc). H.265 is a video compression codec, not a video format, and HDMI does not pass compressed video. Video is not like audio, there is no "bitstream" option that passes the compressed video over HDMI, so what codecs get used for 4K (or any) video (H.265, VP9, whatever) are irrelevant to the AVR/SSP/Video Processor.

But you're right about the rest though, Anthem's don't support HDMI 2.0 and can't pass 4K video. At least I assume no, but has anyone tried 4K24 via "through", that should work with HDMI 1.4.
post #43016 of 44652 Old 08-28-2014, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks to all for the informative posts. I have thought it over and I think I will wait for a future processor with 4K. Ill just have to recover from the upgrade bug.LOL

Rob
post #43017 of 44652 Old 08-29-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, at this point I'd at least wait til CEDIA in a couple weeks to see what's announced. If we're lucky maybe we'll hear from Lumagen and Anthem about HDMI 2.0 products.
post #43018 of 44652 Old 09-02-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
My African Grey parrot, Sterling, has taken to making the ARC frequency sweep sounds now as a call for me. Just thought that was kinda funny.
post #43019 of 44652 Old 09-02-2014, 04:08 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ It's good to have a well-calibrated parrot. So long as it doesn't try to mate with your speakers.
--Bob

post #43020 of 44652 Old 09-02-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers