Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 1435 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 124Likes

post #43021 of 44569 Old 09-02-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post
My African Grey parrot, Sterling, has taken to making the ARC frequency sweep sounds now as a call for me. Just thought that was kinda funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ It's good to have a well-calibrated parrot. So long as it doesn't try to mate with your speakers.
--Bob
Most important to the sound and equalization of your system is the natural dampening material
which may be deposited on your speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43022 of 44569 Old 09-03-2014, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post
My African Grey parrot, Sterling, has taken to making the ARC frequency sweep sounds now as a call for me. Just thought that was kinda funny.
I'd love to see a video of that! Share if you can.
post #43023 of 44569 Old 09-03-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 182
^ And maybe Sterling can post his graphs?

As an aside, sweep sounds are known in the industry as...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chirp

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.

Last edited by Nick @ Anthem; 09-03-2014 at 02:25 PM.
post #43024 of 44569 Old 09-03-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post
^ And maybe Sterling can post his graphs?

As an aside, sweep sounds are known in the industry as...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chirp
Good to see you are alive and well, And that you still occasionally monitor the forum,
Any information on products that are being upgraded or advanced ?
post #43025 of 44569 Old 09-04-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 182
^ Plan is to keep producing AVM/D the way it is. The 4K upgrade question comes up every now and then but $4K camcorders aside, playing native material means using a TV with streaming apps (Netflix/Amazon/DirecTV by 2016) or hard drive/streamer that works only when connected straight to certain TVs from same manufacturer. This negates foreseeable need for switching in the AV processor.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #43026 of 44569 Old 09-06-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm doing some theater room reconstruction and playing with sub positions. Which of the two ARC results look better? The left chart is the preferred position as it has the sub behind the screen wall. Position on the right is near-field with the sub just to the right of the seating area. Sound wise--I couldn't tell that much of a difference, but its hard to readjust and listen for differences.

Also--not sure why the sub levels are so different between the two...measurements were taken a few days apart. Will ARC readjust...left one seems to low 65db?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compare.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	249434  

I don't really like talking about my flair
post #43027 of 44569 Old 09-07-2014, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post
I'm doing some theater room reconstruction and playing with sub positions. Which of the two ARC results look better? The left chart is the preferred position as it has the sub behind the screen wall. Position on the right is near-field with the sub just to the right of the seating area. Sound wise--I couldn't tell that much of a difference, but its hard to readjust and listen for differences.

Also--not sure why the sub levels are so different between the two...measurements were taken a few days apart. Will ARC readjust...left one seems to low 65db?
Left chart looks better but may be the result of the lower levels. Your sub may have performed better with the lower levels so maybe not such a good comparison.
post #43028 of 44569 Old 09-08-2014, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hooked up and unable to play 5.1 sacd via hdmi//D2 says it is getting 2.0 signal while oppo says it is playing 5.0? Help!
post #43029 of 44569 Old 09-08-2014, 01:40 PM

Help with 5.0 problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhrvatin View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by bhrvatin

I am curious however to see what the output would be at 480i - would the two units sync and just lower the bitrate? One other odd test is that I am going to set the Oppo to DSD over HDMI and see what the result is. This would require HDMI 1.2 - but I am curious to see how the 980H and D2 work that out.

I am still unable to pass 3.0, 4.0 and 5.0 SACDs to the D2 via HDMI from the Oppo 980H in any configuration. 5.1 and 2.0 work as expected. I am running the v1.31 firmware on the Anthem and the "...-0903" on the Oppo. I'll call Anthem & Oppo tech support on Monday and see what they have to say.

Bart
Was this resolved by anyone? I am having same issue
post #43030 of 44569 Old 09-08-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlopezmdfacp View Post
Was this resolved by anyone? I am having same issue
This is an Anthem issue. Anthem, in their infinite wisdom, designed the D2 series to not process a multi-channel signal unless there is a Subwoofer signal available in the HDMI signal. OPPO does not phantom speaker channels. So if the soundtrack were 3.0, you would get LCR only.

The lack of the subowofer channel on the 0.x SACDs is what is causing the Anthem to be stereo only.

You will need to use multi-channel analog in this case.
drlopezmdfacp likes this.
post #43031 of 44569 Old 09-08-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
This is an Anthem issue. Anthem, in their infinite wisdom, designed the D2 series to not process a multi-channel signal unless there is a Subwoofer signal available in the HDMI signal. OPPO does not phantom speaker channels. So if the soundtrack were 3.0, you would get LCR only.

The lack of the subowofer channel on the 0.x SACDs is what is causing the Anthem to be stereo only.

You will need to use multi-channel analog in this case.
Thanks! Contacted Anthem (PF took phone call). I hope they have a different answer. Otherwise, have to buy cables. Thank you again.
post #43032 of 44569 Old 09-08-2014, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello,
I have one simple question. From what I heard, (that no new processors will be coming out), Will the AVM50v 3d remain competitive?

Rob
post #43033 of 44569 Old 09-08-2014, 06:19 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked: 1341
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlopezmdfacp View Post
Hooked up and unable to play 5.1 sacd via hdmi//D2 says it is getting 2.0 signal while oppo says it is playing 5.0? Help!
Which OPPO, and how is it cabled? What is your SACD Output setting in the OPPO?
--Bob
post #43034 of 44569 Old 09-09-2014, 04:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1978 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDec View Post
Hello,
I have one simple question. From what I heard, (that no new processors will be coming out), Will the AVM50v 3d remain competitive?

Rob
The only thing I can think of that it's missing, that can't be handled by an HDMI switch or (superior) video processor (ie HDMI 2.0), is Dolby Atmos, but it will probably take a while for that to gain traction. Maybe Anthem will have a new model next year for 4K BD.
post #43035 of 44569 Old 09-09-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
The only thing I can think of that it's missing, that can't be handled by an HDMI switch or (superior) video processor (ie HDMI 2.0), is Dolby Atmos, but it will probably take a while for that to gain traction. Maybe Anthem will have a new model next year for 4K BD.
Thanks Stranger

Rob
post #43036 of 44569 Old 09-09-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
Left chart looks better but may be the result of the lower levels. Your sub may have performed better with the lower levels so maybe not such a good comparison.
Thanks. Any reason why the levels are low? Do i need to raise the sub(s) volume prior to calibration? I think I set them both at 73db with the internal tone prior to running ARC with the assumption that they would combine to 75db.

I don't really like talking about my flair
post #43037 of 44569 Old 09-09-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post
Thanks. Any reason why the levels are low? Do i need to raise the sub(s) volume prior to calibration? I think I set them both at 73db with the internal tone prior to running ARC with the assumption that they would combine to 75db.
If your using multiple subs that is what is supposed to be the correct setup procedure.
I don't have multiple subs so i can not confirm. The manual states what you just stated.
It probably would not be a bad idea to raise the levels and rerun ARC
You may have some error within your sound meter.

And, You have tested your subs for correct phasing ?
post #43038 of 44569 Old 09-09-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Did you see Nick's response above ?
post #43039 of 44569 Old 09-09-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1978 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Did you see Nick's response above ?
Yes I did. I took that to mean near term ("forseeable"), at least, near enough term that they're willing to comment. ie, that there aren't any updates planned to be announced at CEDIA. Nobody is willing to comment on products shipping a year from now, so I personally would not read that to mean they're not doing anything.

Also read carefully, Nick said their plan is to keep producing the AVM/D the way they are, it doesn't address a new model.

IMO, it makes sense this year, as Nick points out, there's really nothing on the immediate horizon (next 12 months) that the AVM/D can't handle. There is one exception, Dolby Atmos. Those disks are only just going to start shipping this fall, so there's really no reason to "rush" out a new model (and it would have to be a new model with at least 4 more output channels), but I think by this time next year (CEDIA 2015), Anthem will be looking at some very anxious owners/customers. By that time Atmos will be more common, there will be a bit of a library built up to be able to take advantage of it, 4K Blu-ray (which will include Atmos as well) is scheduled for the same time period, and 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 chips with HDCP 2.2 will be available in quantity. Holiday 2015, or early 2016 would be a good time to have a new product out to take advantage of all that, and I don't think any of this conflicts with what Nick said, especially considering anything that supports Atmos will have to be a new platform with more channels.
post #43040 of 44569 Old 09-10-2014, 01:15 PM

Hi
I have some questions before I get the AVM50v 3d

1) will this setup work with Velodyne dd15. Red, white and composite cables from sub to AVM and then use composite out to display. Will this give me the graph for the Velodyne 15?

2)For 3d. I looked at manual online. Does this unit come with ARC, or is it a separate purchase? Do I need to install ARC from computer or is it ready to work right from the box?

3)I noticed with 3d I have to use HDMI1 out on Anthem. Can I share HDMI1 out with Directv box HDMI input (1-4) and Oppo 103d Input (1-4)?

4) Is there any problem using a phono preamp with Anthem? I have phono and a red light comes on. Im assuming it is clipping.

5)Is IR emitter on back the same thing as IR in (From my lex mc8). Also I have Krell amps daisy chained to Lex (so the amps turn on when the Anthem turns on) connected to the block in back. Can I use one of the ports on the 12 volt trigger ( in back of AVM50)instead?

6)Can I use a optical cable from TV to anthem and get sound. I realize I wont get OSD.

Thanks for your time.

Rob
post #43041 of 44569 Old 09-10-2014, 01:45 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Hi

1) will this setup work with Velodyne dd15. Red, white and composite cables from sub to AVM and then use composite out to display. Will this give me the graph for the Velodyne 15?

2)For 3d. I looked at manual online. Does this unit come with ARC, or is it a separate purchase? Do I need to install ARC from computer or is it ready to work right from the box?

3)I noticed with 3d I have to use HDMI1 out on Anthem. Can I share HDMI1 out with Directv box HDMI input (1-4) and Oppo 103d Input (1-4)?

4) Is there any problem using a phono preamp with Anthem? I have phono and a red light comes on. Im assuming it is clipping.

5)Is IR emitter on back the same thing as IR in (From my lex mc8). Also I have Krell amps daisy chained to Lex (so the amps turn on when the Anthem turns on) connected to the block in back. Can I use one of the ports on the 12 volt trigger ( in back of AVM50)instead?

6)Can I use a optical cable from TV to anthem and get sound. I realize I wont get OSD.

Thanks for your time.

Rob
1) The Anthem does not "process" Composite video inputs -- meaning you can only see them by using its corresponding Composite video output, not the HDMI you normally use to your display. The fix is to go to Radio Shack and get an inexpensive Composite to S-video converter which you put on the end of the Video cable coming from the Velodyne. Plug the other end into an S-Video input on the Anthem and then you can see the results using the normal HDMI output to your display. You only need to run the Red/White RCA Audio pair from the Velodyne to the Anthem if you want to use its internal test tone sweeps. You can certainly play those for kicks and grins, but for REAL setup you want to set the Velodyne to the preset (#6 as I recall) that BYPASSES its Internal EQ -- and also disable its Crossover processing (go to the upper left crossover entry and press Reset -- if you did it right, those all change to N/A). The reason is, you will be using ARC in the Anthem to do all your EQ, so you don't want the Velodyne to be sticking its nose in as well.

2) The AVM 50v/3D comes with ARC. ARC Measurement and Calculation is done using a program that runs on your Windows PC -- install disc included in the ARC kit that comes with the AVM. The resulting ARC solution data gets Uploaded into the Anthem by that program, and then you don't need the Windows PC attached for normal use of the Anthem after that.

3) Yes, you can use the main (HDMI 1) output for ALL your sources. In the Anthem you will define Setup > Source Setup info for each source device. For 3D viewing the Setup > Source Setup must specify "THROUGH" as its Video Configuration -- meaning the 3D video gets passed through the Anthem unprocessed. You select which Source you want to watch with the remote.

4) You can use a phono pre-amp with the Anthem. There is a ground screw on the back panel for making a ground connection between that and the Anthem.

5) The IR stuff is kinda-sorta standardized, so the answer is probably yes. The Trigger outputs of the Anthem can be used for turning on your amps.

6) Yes, you can use Optical from the TV to get sound through the Anthem while your TV is playing video from, say, its internal channel tuner. See the TV manual for how to disable its internal speakers.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #43042 of 44569 Old 09-10-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi

Thanks for your time.

Rob
#1 I do not have the answer for this. Maybe Bob P will jump in as I think he had this sub

#2 ARC has nothing to do with 3D. ARC and everything you need to run it except a laptop comes with the unit.
It does require installation on to a laptop which is not hard or complicated.

#3 You may be confused asking this question. The Anthem HDMI #1 OUT goes to your DISPLAY HDMI input.
Your HDMI OUT from the Direc TV and OPPO will go to an Anthem Input. You will set that up in the setup and can be
any Anthem input from 1 to 8.

#4 Your phono output should be connected to the Aux input for 2 channel Bal input. Then go to setup /source and
set it to analog direct or analog Dig. Then you need to go into the Anthem setup/Analog input level and reduce the input
level for that analog source.

#5 One of the IR ports in the rear is the same as the front. Yes, you can also use one of the 12v triggers.
Make sure you do not overload the single 12v port with your daisy chained connection.

#6 Yes. But if your using a sat box or cable box that is not needed the audio is carried on the HDMI.
Unless you are viewing tv channels tuned directly by the tv or streaming from a built in tv application.

Hope that helps
Sorry Bob didn't know you were responding the same time as I was typing

Last edited by thestewman; 09-10-2014 at 02:04 PM.
post #43043 of 44569 Old 09-10-2014, 02:42 PM

Thanks Bob and Thestewman

Im not sure if I got these right.

For the sub I use red and white rca cables from Velodyne to Lex, also the yellow composite cable from Velodyne to lex. Then I use something on the lex called MAIN out to the display (main out is for composite cables) and get the graph. Im just looking for the graph screen. and I thought using a composite in and out would get me that graph.

As for ARC are detailed instructions given? Im not very computer literate and instructions would be helpful.

Thanks again

Rob
post #43044 of 44569 Old 09-10-2014, 03:24 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Thanks Bob and Thestewman

Im not sure if I got these right.

For the sub I use red and white rca cables from Velodyne to Lex, also the yellow composite cable from Velodyne to lex. Then I use something on the lex called MAIN out to the display (main out is for composite cables) and get the graph. Im just looking for the graph screen. and I thought using a composite in and out would get me that graph.

As for ARC are detailed instructions given? Im not very computer literate and instructions would be helpful.

Thanks again

Rob
The Anthem does not "process" Composite video (1 RCA cable) input. So you can not get it to output Composite video input as either Component video (3 RCA cables) or HDMI video. Like I said above, the workaround is easy. Use a Composite to S-Video adapter, and plug that video from the Velodyne into an S-Video input of the Anthem instead. If all you want is the Velodyne user interface screen that's all you need -- no need to also hook up its Red/White audio cables. Those are only needed if you want to use the built in test tones of the Velodyne.

For ARC, check the AVM 50v Manual and give it a try. If you run into problems, just ask here.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #43045 of 44569 Old 09-10-2014, 03:50 PM

Thanks Bob. Ill give it a try.

Rob
post #43046 of 44569 Old 09-10-2014, 04:06 PM

Bob one last question. If the Velodyne has a s-video port then cant I eliminate to adaptor and use straight s-video? Forgive my ignorance.

Rob
post #43047 of 44569 Old 09-10-2014, 05:00 PM
Read the FAQ!

Yes. That must be a new addition.
--Bob
post #43048 of 44569 Old 09-12-2014, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Bob one last question. If the Velodyne has a s-video port then cant I eliminate to adaptor and use straight s-video? Forgive my ignorance.

Rob
The video out of the Velodyne is really used on for setup and calibration, when I had my velodyne I just run the s-video cable directly to the tv so I can see the setup and set everything on the velodyne to flat and disconnect it.

You need to run 1 rca cable or xlr cable from the anthem to the velodyne for audio sub-woofer out. And just use Anthem's ARC to calibrate everything.
post #43049 of 44569 Old 09-12-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranle View Post
The video out of the Velodyne is really used on for setup and calibration, when I had my velodyne I just run the s-video cable directly to the tv so I can see the setup and set everything on the velodyne to flat and disconnect it.

You need to run 1 rca cable or xlr cable from the anthem to the velodyne for audio sub-woofer out. And just use Anthem's ARC to calibrate everything.
Thanks Tranli
That's what Im gonna do. It would be overkill to do both.

Rob
post #43050 of 44569 Old 09-13-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
#1 I do not have the answer for this. Maybe Bob P will jump in as I think he had this sub

#2 ARC has nothing to do with 3D. ARC and everything you need to run it except a laptop comes with the unit.
It does require installation on to a laptop which is not hard or complicated.

#3 You may be confused asking this question. The Anthem HDMI #1 OUT goes to your DISPLAY HDMI input.
Your HDMI OUT from the Direc TV and OPPO will go to an Anthem Input. You will set that up in the setup and can be
any Anthem input from 1 to 8.

#4 Your phono output should be connected to the Aux input for 2 channel Bal input. Then go to setup /source and
set it to analog direct or analog Dig. Then you need to go into the Anthem setup/Analog input level and reduce the input
level for that analog source.

#5 One of the IR ports in the rear is the same as the front. Yes, you can also use one of the 12v triggers.
Make sure you do not overload the single 12v port with your daisy chained connection.

#6 Yes. But if your using a sat box or cable box that is not needed the audio is carried on the HDMI.
Unless you are viewing tv channels tuned directly by the tv or streaming from a built in tv application.

Hope that helps
Sorry Bob didn't know you were responding the same time as I was typing
Thanks Thestewman specifically your answer on #5
I have 3 Krell 250 KAV amps. Do you think I should use all three trigger ports or would just 1 suffice.

Sorry about the late post.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page