Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #43021 of 43031 Old 08-26-2014, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello
Been in the market for a new processor to replace my Lexicon mc8b. Ive been researching the AVM 50v 3d. I have some questions and I would appreciate some answers please.

1) It is my understanding that the avm50v3d does not have OSD for 3d content. Is this true and can you get OSD for just regular HDMI hookup?

2)Does it have anything similar to Logic 7?

3) Can you use phono with a phono Preamp?

4)Does anyone think there will be a upgrade to 4K?

5)Will the latest models being shipped have the latest firmware (ARCv 3.02 and v3.10)

6) Will there be a upgrade from 6 analog ins to 8 analog ins? If not possibly on a later version of the AVM50v 3d?

Thanks for any replies,

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43022 of 43031 Old 08-27-2014, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Hey guys, I am in the need of a processor that can do basic HDMI switching and has balanced outputs. My source is an Oppo 103D. If I were to pick up the Statement D2 with ARC, I can set my 103 to decode the blu-rays ( in order to get DTS MA) and pass it through the Anthem via HDMI, correct? Only other source is a DirecTV genie.
post #43023 of 43031 Old 08-27-2014, 04:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDec View Post
Hello
Been in the market for a new processor to replace my Lexicon mc8b. Ive been researching the AVM 50v 3d. I have some questions and I would appreciate some answers please.

1) It is my understanding that the avm50v3d does not have OSD for 3d content. Is this true and can you get OSD for just regular HDMI hookup?
Yes, you get an OSD unless you're using the "Through" function (video passthrough), which is required for 3D.

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure what Logic 7 does, but there's DPL IIx, Anthem's proprietary solution, and DTS Neo.

Quote:
My wild guess is that there will be a new model once the "true" 4K HDMI hardware (ie that capable of HDCP 2.2 and 18Gbps) becomes available. There maybe be an upgrade/trade-in program at that time. There was something like that for the 50V/D2V.

Quote:
5)Will the latest models being shipped have the latest firmware (ARCv 3.02 and v3.10)
I would assume so.

Quote:
6) Will there be a upgrade from 6 analog ins to 8 analog ins? If not possibly on a later version of the AVM50v 3d?
I'm sure there won't be an upgrade, that would be a major hardware (chassis) change, and I kind of doubt there will be more on a future version. Analog inputs are kind of dead with HDMI now.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #43024 of 43031 Old 08-27-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDec View Post
Hello

OSD works with anything other than Pass Through which is used for Blu Ray 3D playback

Anthem uses PLIIx

3) Can you use phono with a phono Preamp?

The Anthem phono input requires a phono preamp

Pure speculation. Probably not. They had an opportunity when they devised the 3D upgrade and stated they had little or no interest.

Yes. but the software is easily uploaded so don't hesitate buying a older or used unit

Again pure speculation. Probably not. There are not many 8 channel analog sources or 6 channel analog sources either

Thanks for any replies,

Rob
Personally, if your Lexicon works I would wait. The newer processors require less video processing and the newer HDMI, codecs, h265 and 4K will be a must.
post #43025 of 43031 Old 08-27-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnM5 View Post
Hey guys, I am in the need of a processor that can do basic HDMI switching and has balanced outputs. My source is an Oppo 103D. If I were to pick up the Statement D2 with ARC, I can set my 103 to decode the blu-rays ( in order to get DTS MA) and pass it through the Anthem via HDMI, correct? Only other source is a DirecTV genie.
If I was in your position I wouldn't use the HDMI switching of the Anthem at all. Feed the Genie into one of the HDMI inputs on the Oppo and use it for switching. Send HDMI 2 to the Anthem for audio and HDMI 1 out to your display directly. This allows you to take advantage of the video processing in the Oppo for satellite sources and you don't have to worry about any HDMI synch issues with different resolutions with the Anthem. Best of all worlds.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #43026 of 43031 Old 08-27-2014, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
If I was in your position I wouldn't use the HDMI switching of the Anthem at all. Feed the Genie into one of the HDMI inputs on the Oppo and use it for switching. Send HDMI 2 to the Anthem for audio and HDMI 1 out to your display directly. This allows you to take advantage of the video processing in the Oppo for satellite sources and you don't have to worry about any HDMI synch issues with different resolutions with the Anthem. Best of all worlds.
Excellent idea!
post #43027 of 43031 Old 08-27-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
Personally, if your Lexicon works I would wait. The newer processors require less video processing and the newer HDMI, codecs, h265 and 4K will be a must.
I just want to comment because I see this a lot. H.265 (or H.264, or VC1, or MPEG-2 or whatever) have no impact on a video processor, they are all decoded to raw video in the player. You will not see or need H.265 support in a AVR, SSP or Video Processor. H.265 and the like have nothing to do with HDMI or video processing.

The only way you might see it, is if they start integrating streaming services (Netflix/etc) in which case the decoding would be done in the AVR/SSP/VP, but I find that unlikely except maybe in HTIBs.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #43028 of 43031 Old 08-27-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I just want to comment because I see this a lot. H.265 (or H.264, or VC1, or MPEG-2 or whatever) have no impact on a video processor, they are all decoded to raw video in the player. You will not see or need H.265 support in a AVR, SSP or Video Processor. H.265 and the like have nothing to do with HDMI or video processing.

The only way you might see it, is if they start integrating streaming services (Netflix/etc) in which case the decoding would be done in the AVR/SSP/VP, but I find that unlikely except maybe in HTIBs.
I don't think I meant to infer that the processor was necessary for h265 etc only its switching and the capability of passing the signal of which it currently cannot. I currently cannot use my Anthem for any HDMI 2.0. H265, 4K or other new video formats or codecs.
post #43029 of 43031 Old 08-28-2014, 05:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

But that's my point, H.265 will never make it to your SSP. H.264 never leaves the BD player or video streamer today. So you don't switch H.265, you don't pass H.265, and you won't ever see H.265 on a video processor spec sheet. I think people get confused because they see H.265 on TV spec sheets, but that's only for the TVs internal apps (streaming/Netflix/USB/etc). H.265 is a video compression codec, not a video format, and HDMI does not pass compressed video. Video is not like audio, there is no "bitstream" option that passes the compressed video over HDMI, so what codecs get used for 4K (or any) video (H.265, VP9, whatever) are irrelevant to the AVR/SSP/Video Processor.

But you're right about the rest though, Anthem's don't support HDMI 2.0 and can't pass 4K video. At least I assume no, but has anyone tried 4K24 via "through", that should work with HDMI 1.4.

post #43030 of 43031 Old 08-28-2014, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks to all for the informative posts. I have thought it over and I think I will wait for a future processor with 4K. Ill just have to recover from the upgrade bug.LOL

Rob
post #43031 of 43031 Old Yesterday, 04:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, at this point I'd at least wait til CEDIA in a couple weeks to see what's announced. If we're lucky maybe we'll hear from Lumagen and Anthem about HDMI 2.0 products.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page