Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 1441 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 83Likes
post #43201 of 44092 Old 10-09-2014, 05:02 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecamaross View Post
I was using the extended rgb and had zero issues with it when feeding it to the back input of the oppo... It actually makes the colors more vivid or the overall image seems a little brighter then when using studio. I also can't use any other setting besides those 2 otherwise I get the terrible colors Etc. I'm using a Sony 40es projector and the cable is about 30ft long. no issues when it comes to grabbing the signal. To be honest, the picture looks better when I go through the oppo rather than going through the d2. Maybe it's the darbee in the oppo that makes things pop.
The HDMI Inputs of the OPPO can not be set to expect Extended RGB input. They assume that any RGB input is Studio RGB (what OPPO calls "RGB Video Level"). If you use Extended RGB input your video calibration will be incorrect.

The best choice of HDMI input format into the OPPO is either YCbCr 4:4:4 or YCbCr 4:2:2. That can be calibrated correctly. Even Studio RGB input is not truly "right" in that it introduces a color space math error (Greens are too dark) when the input video Resolution is 720p or higher. This is a problem that's been around so long without getting fixed that I suspect it is baked into the OPPO hardware that processes those inputs.

As I stated above, green or red tinted video is a symptom of HDMI handshake failure. Simplify the handshake with settings: Set the OPPO to an explicit Color Space (not Auto). Set your input device into the OPPO to send an explicit color space (not Auto). It is OK to send YCbCr into the OPPO and yet have the OPPO send RGB Video Level to the Display. Turn Deep Color OFF until you resolve the handshake failure. Deep Color puts more bandwidth on the HDMI cable and that makes failures more likely. If settings changes alone don't fix the problem then you really should check out different cabling.
--Bob
AVfile likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 10-09-2014 at 05:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43202 of 44092 Old 10-09-2014, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Ok Bob. I'll try what you suggested when I get home. Is there a specific hdmi cable you recommend ? I'd hate to buy 86 different cables in order to find the one I need.
post #43203 of 44092 Old 10-09-2014, 06:16 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Ok Bob. I'll try what you suggested when I get home. Is there a specific hdmi cable you recommend ? I'd hate to buy 86 different cables in order to find the one I need.
First, buy only cables that are labelled as "For 1080p" or "High Speed" or "Category 2", which all mean the same thing.

Next, use a 6 foot (2 meter) cable between any devices close enough together. 6 foot length (not shorter or longer) is ideal for HDMI robustness.

The Redmere technology cables are good for longer distances. They have an active circuit in the plug at one end that makes the longer length act like a 6 foot cable. This also means they are directional -- you have to plug them in the right way around (source to destination).

Monoprice and Blue Jeans cable -- both AVS Forum sponsors -- sell good cables at reasonable prices.

Before replacing your long cable to the projector, check whether cabling makes a difference by temporarily carrying the OPPO and your source device (the Anthem if that's what you intend to use) over near the projector so that you can hook things up using 6 foot cables. The cable that comes with the OPPO is a good one for this, and that means you'll only need one more.

ANYTHING in the HDMI path should be suspect. That includes daisy-chained cables, adapters, switches, gizmos (like stand-alone Darbee), and wall plates. Wall plates (used to tidy up the end of long cable runs in the walls) are particularly suspect. There was a point in time where it was very hard to buy a wall plate which actually worked for 1080p/60 video. So when testing, bypass all such stuff and use single cable runs from source to OPPO and from OPPO to display. Once THAT works, then add back in your longer cable and other stuff to see if you can find the culprit.

HDMI plugs are just friction fit. It is VERY common for handshake problems to be caused by nothing more complicated than a plug shifting a bit in the socket -- it only takes a small shift to screw things up -- perhaps due to cable weight or packaging kinks in a newly purchased cable. Try reseating the plugs, making sure they are fully inserted STRAIGHT into the sockets with nothing tugging on them in any direction. Again, remember that HDMI is an end to end protocol, so any connection or cable along the ENTIRE path could be the cause of your problem.

If your display prefers RGB input, then set the OPPO to output RGB Video Level. It's OK to still feed YCbCr into the OPPO from your source device.

Set Deep Color output OFF in the OPPO. Set the Anthem to output "8 bit" video.

Use an explicit Color Space choice in both the OPPO and the source device -- not Auto or Through.

Use an explicit Resolution choice in the OPPO and the source device -- typically 1080p -- not Auto, or Source Direct, or Through.

If you are still having trouble with YCbCr input into the OPPO, try switching the Sync setting back to normal in the Anthem.
--Bob
AVfile likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 10-09-2014 at 06:22 AM.
post #43204 of 44092 Old 10-09-2014, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question.
I had to replace my ARC-1 mic for my D2V. I downloaded the newest software, copied over the .cal file from the orig CD and renamed to match my D2V serial.
Once I received prompt and selected mic with correct serial #, received an error "failed to load calibration File" Does anyone know how to resolve, or are their other files I need to copy from the orig CD to the ARC folder prior to running setup?
post #43205 of 44092 Old 10-09-2014, 06:16 PM
Read the FAQ!

If you got a new ARC mic then you need a new calibration file to match.

Email Anthem Tech Support with the Serial Number of your D2v and the Serial Number of your new ARC mic and they will email back what you need to copy into Windows > Program Files.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 10-09-2014 at 06:52 PM.
post #43206 of 44092 Old 10-09-2014, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
If you got a new ARC mic then you need a new calibration file to match.

Email Anthem a Tech Support with the Serial Number of your D2v and the Serial Number of your new ARC mic and they will email back what you need to copy into Windows > Program Files.
--Bob
Thanks Bob
post #43207 of 44092 Old 10-10-2014, 05:21 AM

Bob,
So last night when I got home from work I powered on all my equipment and the oppo has one long 30ft hdmi cable connected to the projector and I had terrible handshake. Like errors on the image and all I have was a Blu-ray playing. So I removed the hdmi cable and plugged in a 30 ft hdmi redmere cable. I also changed the settings on the oppo to rgb level I think it's called and set the output to 1080p. I turned off deep color and on the d2 I changed it to 4:4:4 and the resolution to 1920 60p I think it's called?
I couldn't find the 8 bit setting you mentioned. I looked everywhere.
Anyhow I don't have per say any handshake issues other than the occasional video drop when the Blu-ray movie Is loading before it begins.
A couple of things that I noticed was that for some reason I leave everything working just fine and then I turn everything off and when I turn things on the next day then the madness begins again? A handshake issue... Hopefully it doesnt today after all the tweaking I did last night.
I remember having the regular oppo 103 and not having many handshake issues so that's why I bought the 103d last week and I've noticed more handshake issues with it? The reason why I'm using the oppos rear hdmi input is so that I can use the d2 as a switcher and feed the video signal to the oppo from the d2 so that I can take advantage of its darbee because thats the whole reason why I bought it. I thought of just running everything through the d2 and then straight to the projector from there but that would pretty much defeat the purpose of the darbee...
Thoughts?
post #43208 of 44092 Old 10-10-2014, 06:36 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Bob,
So last night when I got home from work I powered on all my equipment and the oppo has one long 30ft hdmi cable connected to the projector and I had terrible handshake. Like errors on the image and all I have was a Blu-ray playing. So I removed the hdmi cable and plugged in a 30 ft hdmi redmere cable. I also changed the settings on the oppo to rgb level I think it's called and set the output to 1080p. I turned off deep color and on the d2 I changed it to 4:4:4 and the resolution to 1920 60p I think it's called?
I couldn't find the 8 bit setting you mentioned. I looked everywhere.
Anyhow I don't have per say any handshake issues other than the occasional video drop when the Blu-ray movie Is loading before it begins.
A couple of things that I noticed was that for some reason I leave everything working just fine and then I turn everything off and when I turn things on the next day then the madness begins again? A handshake issue... Hopefully it doesnt today after all the tweaking I did last night.
I remember having the regular oppo 103 and not having many handshake issues so that's why I bought the 103d last week and I've noticed more handshake issues with it? The reason why I'm using the oppos rear hdmi input is so that I can use the d2 as a switcher and feed the video signal to the oppo from the d2 so that I can take advantage of its darbee because thats the whole reason why I bought it. I thought of just running everything through the d2 and then straight to the projector from there but that would pretty much defeat the purpose of the darbee...
Thoughts?
The 8-bit setting I was talking about is in the video output configuration for a D2v. If you have the original D2 there is no such setting.

In the OPPO, the equivalent setting is to turn Deep Color OFF for the output you are using.

Problems that happen on power up almost always are just due to the order in which you turn on the gear. The recommended order is in the reverse order of the signal flow. So turn on the display first, wait, then the OPPO in your case, wait, then any source device plugged into the OPPO, wait, then anything plugged into that source. What happens is that HDMI handshakes are driven by the earliest device in the chain. But if that device starts the handshake before some later device has fully woken up then you may get bogus responses from that later device which screw up the handshake. Some displays and projectors are known to screw up in this fashion.

You can test this by doing the power ups and waits manually using the separate remotes for each device. Wait until the device you've turned on has fully booted up before turning on the next, earlier device. If a slow and deliberate power up sequence like this cures the issue, then you can automate it with a programmable remote such as the Logitech Harmony remotes. You may very well find that only the display needs a significant delay after it is turned on before you turn on the next, earlier device.
--Bob
AVfile likes this.

post #43209 of 44092 Old 10-10-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide

Quote:
The reason why I'm using the oppos rear hdmi input is so that I can use the d2 as a switcher and feed the video signal to the oppo from the d2 so that I can take advantage of its darbee because thats the whole reason why I bought it. I thought of just running everything through the d2 and then straight to the projector from there but that would pretty much defeat the purpose of the darbee...
Thoughts?

That's awkward and may be problematic. It should go Other source -> Oppo -> D2 -> Projector.

If you have more than one "other source" just connect it to the D2. Can't have Darbee on everything but hopefully no big loss.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #43210 of 44092 Old 10-10-2014, 05:19 PM

OK but what other options do i have if I want to take full advantage of the darbee??? I have to go straight from the oppo to my projector if I want to take advantage of it because the d2 doesn't have a pass through mode. If I route it through the d2 then it will do its internal processing before going to the oppo. That would defeat the purpose of me buying the darbee.....
post #43211 of 44092 Old 10-11-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
^ Do not use Extended RGB when sending video into the OPPO. It is not designed to handle that properly.

You should be able to use Studio RGB or either YCbCr choice. It is possible that you need to change the Sync setting according to which you are using.

Video which is tinted Ghastly Green or Shocking Pink means that the HDMI handshake has failed to resolve whether RGB or YCbCr is in use. That's a type of handshake failure, and could be happening on the output side of the OPPO or on the input from the Anthem.

As always with handshake failures, you should first consider improving your HDMI cabling. Remember that HDMI is an end to end protocol, so the entire HDMI cabling path from end to end is suspect.
--Bob
Bob,
it looks like only studio rgb does not give me the crazy colors when feeding it through my bluray back input.
Lastly, i have 2 30ft monoprice hdmi cables that i had original connected to a line booster in order to make it long enough to reach my projector. Anyhow, after i decided to not use them like that anymore and just run one of them straight to my projector, none of the 2 30ft redmere cables are working today. I tried connecting them to the ps3, d2, etc and the screen is black on the projector. I swapped them out and tried a cheap bluerigger 35ft hdmi that i had in my garage and i get a picture.
How could a line booster damage 2 redmere cables that NEVER moved anymore? i have contacted monoprice to see if they can replace the cables since they have a lifetime warranty..
post #43212 of 44092 Old 10-11-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OK but what other options do i have if I want to take full advantage of the darbee??? I have to go straight from the oppo to my projector if I want to take advantage of it because the d2 doesn't have a pass through mode. If I route it through the d2 then it will do its internal processing before going to the oppo. That would defeat the purpose of me buying the darbee.....

NOPE. The D2 should be quite transparent if you don't fiddle with its video setup controls. Set the Oppo to output Studio RGB and set the D2 to output same (that is the native format of the Gennum processor inside the D2). With Deep Color OFF the output will be 8-bit per channel (24-bit) which the D2 will pass no problem, regardless of any Darbee processing added to the image.

- AVStefan
post #43213 of 44092 Old 10-11-2014, 10:18 AM

Has anyone actually proven this... I don't mind running everything through the d2 but I'd prefer to use the video processor of the oppo..
post #43214 of 44092 Old 10-11-2014, 10:19 AM

Has anyone actually proven this... I don't mind running everything through the d2 but I'd prefer to use the video processor of the oppo..
post #43215 of 44092 Old 10-14-2014, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
any new firmware for anthem D2v 3d of rectify of 5.1 DTSHD signal l audio which is coming 7.1 speakers
post #43216 of 44092 Old 10-14-2014, 10:00 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ That is not a bug. It does that in accordance with the DTS specs for any advanced pre-pro which implements the DTS "speaker presentation" processing as part of its decoding.

Technically what's happening is that the side surrounds in a 7.1 mix default to 90 degrees either side of center -- i.e., even with the seating. But the side surrounds in a 5.1 mix default to BEHIND the seating -- for example 110 degrees.

When you play a 5.1 mix into 7.1 speakers, DTS-HD MA creates a phantom placement of those 5.1 side channels (somewhat behind the seating) by sending audio to both the side and rear pair of surround speakers in the 7.1 layout.
--Bob

post #43217 of 44092 Old 10-14-2014, 10:05 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
If you use the default picture settings in the OPPO and in the original D2, and turn Deep Color OFF for the output of the OPPO, then the D2 preserves the data values of a 1080p image coming in from the OPPO.

The original D2 does not support Deep Color so attempts to enable that in the OPPO will be ignored due to the HDMI handshake. The newer D2v is different.
--Bob

post #43218 of 44092 Old 10-14-2014, 07:59 PM

Ok so are you saying that connecting the oppo 103d to the d2 and going out of the d2 into the projector will not defeat the darbee ? You're staying it will be the same as doing a video pass through without degrading the signal from the oppo ???
post #43219 of 44092 Old 10-15-2014, 05:55 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Ok so are you saying that connecting the oppo 103d to the d2 and going out of the d2 into the projector will not defeat the darbee ? You're staying it will be the same as doing a video pass through without degrading the signal from the oppo ???
Yes, so long as you have the OPPO and the D2 set to 1080p output and with Deep Color OFF, and with default picture adjustment settings in the D2, the video will got through the original D2 unmolested.
--Bob

post #43220 of 44092 Old 10-15-2014, 06:14 AM

Bob,
when you say 'original settings', can you elaborate what these are on the D2 and on the oppo? you had me do rgb level on the oppo and i touched the settings all over on the d2..
post #43221 of 44092 Old 10-15-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

He's talking about the video settings when you press and hold '7' to get into the video processor setup (see the manual) on the D2. Not sure why you would touch these if you are trying to be a purist. Have you even been in that menu? It stores separate settings for each input, so just go to one of the inputs you haven't molested yet and note the defaults if you need them.

This is a reference grade processor, on the market for many years. If it was degrading video signals people would have noticed by now. You need to trust us

As for other settings on the D2 and Oppo we've already gone over that, Bob and I.

- AVStefan
post #43222 of 44092 Old 10-15-2014, 10:29 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Bob,
when you say 'original settings', can you elaborate what these are on the D2 and on the oppo? you had me do rgb level on the oppo and i touched the settings all over on the d2..
Factory Default settings for the D2 can be seen in the menu pictures in the User Manual.

Alternatively, Save User Settings, Reload Factory Defaults, poke and around and jot down the default settings, Load Saved User Settings, adjust as necessary.

Primarily you are interested in the Settings in the Video Source Adjust menu (press and hold the "7" key). These settings are remembered "per input", so adjust as needed for any Setup > Source Setup which happens to use the video feed from the OPPO.

For the OPPO, Setup > Video Setup > Picture Adjustments have "0" as their default value. The OPPO puts out "reference level" video on HDMI when those are all left at their factory default (0) values.

Obviously if you want to view with Darbee processing turned on in the OPPO then that will not be at its default (Off) setting.
--Bob

post #43223 of 44092 Old 10-15-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 103
OK folks, I'm stumped...

I have Dolby volume ON but the commercials on TV are still louder than standard program material. I know its ON because if I turn it OFF, the overall volume goes down.

What else should I do to tone down commercials using DV?

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #43224 of 44092 Old 10-16-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
OK folks, I'm stumped...

I have Dolby volume ON but the commercials on TV are still louder than standard program material. I know its ON because if I turn it OFF, the overall volume goes down.

What else should I do to tone down commercials using DV?
You have to suffer with it unless you use the volume control or muting.
There was a was or rule passed by the FCC recently and all tv stations will have to reduce the level of their commercials soon
post #43225 of 44092 Old 10-16-2014, 06:52 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Dolby Volume raises Volume for softer content rather than lowering volume for louder content.

So turn Dolby Volume ON and set Volume as you like it for the loudest content you are playing -- commercials in your case. Depending on the Level setting you've chosen, lower volume portions of the content will be increased to be more audible. Note that the change is not instantaneous, so if you have a higher Level set it may take a few seconds for the lower volume content to adjust.
--Bob

post #43226 of 44092 Old 10-16-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I recently purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 w/ Windows 8. Does ARC on a D2v support this yet? I see at the Anthem website that Windows 7 is supported. Anyone have info on Windows 8 being supported now or in the future? Nick?
post #43227 of 44092 Old 10-16-2014, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensmith48 View Post
I recently purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 w/ Windows 8. Does ARC on a D2v support this yet? I see at the Anthem website that Windows 7 is supported. Anyone have info on Windows 8 being supported now or in the future? Nick?
I use a Surface Pro 1 with ARC. The level on the final graphs reads low, but they look the same as the ones ran on my Win 7 computer and there is no difference in the volume level on my AVM-50v. Sometimes transferring the ARC calculations to the prepro does go really slow. It could be the USB 3 hub I use though. I keep meaning to try a USB 2 hub, but haven't bothered to dig it out of my parts box.
post #43228 of 44092 Old 10-17-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Thanks for the info. I think I'll keep using my old Gateway laptop with Vista until Anthem makes the upgrade.
post #43229 of 44092 Old 10-19-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
^ Dolby Volume raises Volume for softer content rather than lowering volume for louder content.

So turn Dolby Volume ON and set Volume as you like it for the loudest content you are playing -- commercials in your case. Depending on the Level setting you've chosen, lower volume portions of the content will be increased to be more audible. Note that the change is not instantaneous, so if you have a higher Level set it may take a few seconds for the lower volume content to adjust.
--Bob
Thanks Bob and sorry for the late response. I checked the Dolby site and it says it shouldn't matter whether the content it louder or softer than previous content. It claims to just set the level setting and DV will take care of the rest to equalize the volume based on human psychoacoustic models of hearing.

I'll play with the various DV options to see which one works...

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #43230 of 44092 Old 10-19-2014, 02:50 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Yeah. Theory vs. practice. Try it the way I suggested and see if it does the trick for you.
--Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers