Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #43231 of 43245 Old 10-20-2014, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I realize this thread seems moribund, but I'll ask anyway:

Has anyone compared the sound quality of analog direct from an Oppo 105 to that of an Oppo 105 passed via HDMI though an Anthem D2 or D2V? Is it superior going through the Anthem, just different, or is there no audible difference?

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
Ayre C-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-105, & Sony XA5400ES disc players
Parasound JC-2 preamp into Proceed HPA amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds
Velodyne SMS-1 bass managers & a pair of HGS-15 subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43232 of 43245 Old 10-20-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
I realize this thread seems moribund, but I'll ask anyway:

Has anyone compared the sound quality of analog direct from an Oppo 105 to that of an Oppo 105 passed via HDMI though an Anthem D2 or D2V? Is it superior going through the Anthem, just different, or is there no audible difference?

db
mor·i·bund
ˈmôrəˌbənd/Submit
adjective
(of a person) at the point of death.
synonyms: dying, expiring, terminal, on one's deathbed, near death, at death's door, not long for this world
"the patient was moribund"
antonyms: thriving, recovering
(of a thing) in terminal decline; lacking vitality or vigor.
"the moribund commercial property market"
synonyms: declining, in decline, waning, dying, stagnating, stagnant, crumbling, on its last legs
"the moribund shipbuilding industry"

You have to be kidding ? This forum ? Not in your lifetime.

Give us more information on your sources and your setup.
There are significant differences when playing back different sources
post #43233 of 43245 Old 10-20-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
mor·i·bund
ˈmôrəˌbənd/Submit

You have to be kidding ? This forum ? Not in your lifetime.

Give us more information on your sources and your setup.
There are significant differences when playing back different sources
I misread the calendar of the thread, sorry.

The sources I propose to connect to a D2V via HDMI are an Oppo 105 and Sony XA5400ES. The D2V would connect to Proceed HPA-2, HPA-3, and Amp-2 amps that drive KEF Reference 107/2 mains and 102 surrounds. It would also connect to a pair of Velodyne HGS-15 subs. This setup would be aimed at surround.

For stereo, I use an Ayre C-5xeMP and Thorens TD-124 with Ortofon SME 30H cartridge through a Parasound JC-3 phono stage to a JC-2 preamp to the Proceed amps. A Goldpoint switch would be used to select the D2V or JC-2.

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
post #43234 of 43245 Old 10-20-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:

The sources I propose to connect to a D2V via HDMI are an Oppo 105 and Sony XA5400ES. The D2V would connect to Proceed HPA-2, HPA-3, and Amp-2 amps that drive KEF Reference 107/2 mains and 102 surrounds. It would also connect to a pair of Velodyne HGS-15 subs. This setup would be aimed at surround.

For stereo, I use an Ayre C-5xeMP and Thorens TD-124 with Ortofon SME 30H cartridge through a Parasound JC-3 phono stage to a JC-2 preamp to the Proceed amps. A Goldpoint switch would be used to select the D2V or JC-2.

db
A very commendable audiophile equipment setup.
I can assure you from experience passing an analog audio signal from the OPPO 105 via analog to the D2v and using analog direct sounds quite a bit better than using HDMI from the OPPO. I have not been able to discern much of a difference when using the D2v as the preamp and analog direct for an analog source. Different setups can and do influence the sound stage, noise and sound character.
Anthem has stated there is nothing in the circuit to interfere or influence the sound except the op amps used for the volume control.
Another feature you might someday utilize would be to use the OPPO as a DAC for DSD input and play either HiRez PCM or DSD files.
In my system PCM or DSD exceeds anything I ever heard on any CD player even some state of the art CD players costing tens of thousands of dollars.

I needed a way to bypass the D2v and play analog surround signals and currently use a Parasound P7 to switch from the D2v to play DSD or PCM analog surround.
I gave up looking for my first choice for a surround preamp the Audio Research MP1
I am interested in hearing your experience with the Goldpoint switch and what Goldpoint selector switch are you utilizing ?
That is an option I did not realize existed and may give me an other option.
post #43235 of 43245 Old 10-21-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

I am interested in hearing your experience with the Goldpoint switch and what Goldpoint selector switch are you utilizing ?
That is an option I did not realize existed and may give me an other option.
I ordered the 2 XLR in 1 XLR out switch, but have yet to receive it. Abe on the Oppo 105 thread of AVS uses a Goldpoint RCA switch, and claims it's acoustic transparent. I trust his observations. Others whose posts I haven't calibrated as well say the same thing. The cost delivered is well over $400. I get the impression that Goldpoint is the gold standard of such switches.

db

post #43236 of 43245 Old 10-21-2014, 09:55 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 908
^ With either a D2 or D2v you should also plan on experimenting with Anthem Room Correction. You may very well find out that gives you better sound unless your listening room is already acoustically treated.

If you do find ARC improves things (which is often the case), then HDMI LPCM or HDMI Bitstream audio into the Anthem is usually the way to go. The Anthem will re-digitize Analog audio input if you set that for processing via ARC so you can use the Analog input if you prefer. But generally keeping the audio in the digital domain until all processing is done is the way to go. Also the HDMI input on the D2v (but not the D2) can accept 7.1 channel input, whereas the Analog input on both the D2 and D2v is limited to 5.1.
--Bob
AVfile likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #43237 of 43245 Old 10-21-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:

db
Does your JC-2 have the home theater bypass?? It would say BP next to JC-2. If so, you can use that and not have to deal with the goldpoint switch.

Also, I've owned an Ayre K-5xeMP and Parasound JC-2 preamp and when I did extensive listening tests between them and the D2V as an analog pre I could not detect any performance benefits to the Ayre or the Parasound. You might consider trying the same thing, the Anthem is a fantastic analog preamp in direct mode. I too use a JC-3 phono preamp with my VPI Traveller turntable with Lyra Kleos cartridge.
AVfile likes this.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #43238 of 43245 Old 10-21-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Does your JC-2 have the home theater bypass?? It would say BP next to JC-2. If so, you can use that and not have to deal with the goldpoint switch.
Kris,

I do have a JC-2 BP. Stereo from the Oppo 105 goes through the JC-2 BP, surround directly to Proceed amps. I plan to use the Goldpoint to add another XLR input. I've compared the analog connection of the Oppo 105 to the JC-2 via XLR and RCA. The JC-2 pads the XLR input so it makes comparison easy. I can't hear a difference. IIRC, there is an XLR-RCA difference with my Sony XA5400ES, so it and the JC-3 will share an XLR input through the Goldpoint; the other input will be devoted to the Ayre.

Do you have any experience with Modwright and the Oppo?

db

post #43239 of 43245 Old 10-21-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Kris,

I do have a JC-2 BP. Stereo from the Oppo 105 goes through the JC-2 BP, surround directly to Proceed amps. I plan to use the Goldpoint to add another XLR input. I've compared the analog connection of the Oppo 105 to the JC-2 via XLR and RCA. The JC-2 pads the XLR input so it makes comparison easy. I can't hear a difference. IIRC, there is an XLR-RCA difference with my Sony XA5400ES, so it and the JC-3 will share an XLR input through the Goldpoint; the other input will be devoted to the Ayre.

Do you have any experience with Modwright and the Oppo?

db
No experience with the Modwright. I don't use XLR from the JC-3 since my table doesn't have XLR either. I just keep it RCA all the way thru (runs are only a meter anyways). You should do a comparison of the JC-2 to the Anthem. Use the RCA of the Oppo to the JC-2 and the XLR to the Anthem. Level match and done.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #43240 of 43245 Old 10-21-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
You should do a comparison of the JC-2 to the Anthem. Use the RCA of the Oppo to the JC-2 and the XLR to the Anthem. Level match and done.
I don't have an Anthem yet.

post #43241 of 43245 Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a D2V 3D. I want to ask a few questions. 1) Do HDMI 2 output can output the on screen display? Any configuration to set? 2) I found that when I hold the SUB-LFE button on the remote control, it can enter in the menu. Is it normal?
Thanks!
post #43242 of 43245 Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM

Liked: 12
RC
#2 ......yes.
TJG55
post #43243 of 43245 Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ #1 -- No. The character generator for the on-screen text over HDMI, such as Volume info, only operates on the Main (HDMI 1) output.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #43244 of 43245 Old Today, 12:36 AM

Liked: 0
That's mean both HDMI output can display the menu page, but only HDMI 1 can display the character, such as Volume info! Is it right?
post #43245 of 43245 Old Today, 09:49 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Correct. You'll also lose the on-screen display on HDMI 1 when you set a Setup > Source Setup to THROUGH for Video Configuration, as when passing 3D video through the D2v/3D.
--Bob

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page