post #43261 of 43290 Old 10-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDec View Post
I have a Velodyne DD15 (not the plus). Its about 10 years old. I have just noticed at times there is no sound from the woofer. Im watching Nascar too which is usually loaded with heavy bass.
That might be the problem or the balanced cabling too.

Rob
Buy a shorty Y-splitter and feed the Sub signal into BOTH of the inputs of your Velodyne. That doubles the volume the Velodyne sees and pretty much guarantees it will come out of stand-by automatically, when it is supposed to.

Note that you will need to re-adjust the power-on Volume of the Velodyne accordingly, and then re-run your ARC setup.

If you are comparing RCA vs XLR signal levels, be advised that by design XLR is +6dB hotter. Meaning that the speaker level will be lowered by ARC to compensate. If the XLR is running through an amp, the amp may have a switch setting to attenuate the XLR by 6dB.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43262 of 43290 Old 10-26-2014, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Buy a shorty Y-splitter and feed the Sub signal into BOTH of the inputs of your Velodyne. That doubles the volume the Velodyne sees and pretty much guarantees it will come out of stand-by automatically, when it is supposed to.

Note that you will need to re-adjust the power-on Volume of the Velodyne accordingly, and then re-run your ARC setup.

If you are comparing RCA vs XLR signal levels, be advised that by design XLR is +6dB hotter. Meaning that the speaker level will be lowered by ARC to compensate. If the XLR is running through an amp, the amp may have a switch setting to attenuate the XLR by 6dB.
--Bob
Thanks Bob
The Velodyne DD15 has only 1 balanced input. It also has a mic balanced input, but I don't think that will work. Am I missing something? Again much appreciated.

Rob
post #43263 of 43290 Old 10-26-2014, 03:17 PM
Read the FAQ!

No. I was talking about its L/R RCA Inputs.
--Bob
post #43264 of 43290 Old 10-26-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
No. I was talking about its L/R RCA Inputs.
--Bob
HI Bob!
Do you think redoing the ARC will stop the sub db levels for changing? And should the difference be Day and Night when turning the EQ on and off. I know each system is different, so can the difference be subtle. Also sometimes I do hear a slight difference but it might be placebo.

Rob
post #43265 of 43290 Old 10-27-2014, 02:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks! Bob!
Actually, my D2v 3D purchase a year ago, the firmware is 3.09.  I find that rca sub 1 pre-out have a good performance and a higher sound pressure than rca sub 2 significiantly. Anyone have the same issue.
Dealer told me to update the firmware 3.10 to see if it can solve the problem. After update the firmware, some problem have occur,such as 1) 5.1 source will automatically change to 7.1 even I set all the present mode to NONE.  2) it can't show the setup menu in the TV while holding the menu bottom. 
The dealer in Hong Kong can't provide me any solution.
Any suggestion? Can I reinstall 3.09? Is it ok? I don't know the software on the official web is compatible with my D2V 3D! Thanks!
post #43266 of 43290 Old 10-27-2014, 06:42 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
HI Bob!
Do you think redoing the ARC will stop the sub db levels for changing? And should the difference be Day and Night when turning the EQ on and off. I know each system is different, so can the difference be subtle. Also sometimes I do hear a slight difference but it might be placebo.

Rob
I don't know what you mean by the Sub levels changing. The Sub levels (in Setup) should not change after you have Uploaded any given ARC solution. If you are getting different Sub levels from the ARC solution than what you think you should get based on a manual (non ARC) setup, my recommendation is that you trust what ARC has produced. Its answer is more accurate than what you yourself can do with an SPL meter for example.

Keep in mind that after Uploading an ARC solution you need to Save User and/or Installer Settings to capture those results in those memories. Otherwise, if you restore from Saved User or Installer Settings you will wipe out the results ARC has Uploaded.

Screen Capture your ARC results charts, including the Measure, Target, and Calculated curves, and also your ARC Targets Window and then post them here. Folks can't tell you anything about what you should be hearing without seeing those. If your room does not need much correction then of course the difference with ARC will be less. The charts will show that.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #43267 of 43290 Old 10-27-2014, 06:51 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockychan View Post
Thanks! Bob!
Actually, my D2v 3D purchase a year ago, the firmware is 3.09.  I find that rca sub 1 pre-out have a good performance and a higher sound pressure than rca sub 2 significiantly. Anyone have the same issue.
Dealer told me to update the firmware 3.10 to see if it can solve the problem. After update the firmware, some problem have occur,such as 1) 5.1 source will automatically change to 7.1 even I set all the present mode to NONE.  2) it can't show the setup menu in the TV while holding the menu bottom. 
Any suggestion? Can I reinstall 3.09? Is it ok? I don't know the software on the official web is compatible with my D2V 3D! Thanks!
You can re-install 3.09 but you should not. Firmware 3.10 is the correct firmware for a D2v/3D.

The two RCA Sub outputs should have IDENTICAL signals. If you are certain that is not the case -- tested with the same cable into the same Sub -- then your D2v/3D needs hardware service. Service for a unit purchased in Hong Kong is likely done through Anthem's Distributor for Hong Kong. Your dealer should know how to get you in touch with them. You can also get this info from Anthem Support in Canada. It may even be on the International Dealers locator portion of their web site.

Your 5.1 vs. 7.1 output is likely a misunderstanding of how the D2v/3D works, but that can be sorted out after you figure out if the hardware needs service.

If the Setup menu fails to appear, power cycle the D2v/3D and try again. If it STILL fails to appear (Press and Hold the MENU button for about 3 seconds), then, again, your hardware likely needs service. The Setup menu is implemented as an internally generated S-Video Source, and so it is Analog video that needs to be digitized for display, and that's a portion of the hardware that you don't normally use if you have only HDMI Source devices.

Before sending the player in for service it would be wise to do a re-install of v3.10 firmware (a fresh copy downloaded from Anthem), and do a Reload Factory Defaults, and see if the problems still exists when you make only the minimal MANUAL changes in Setup necessary to show the problem. That eliminates the chance that there might be some sort of corruption in your older Setup settings. There is only one firmware for the D2v/3D that works for both the North America and overseas hardware.
--Bob

post #43268 of 43290 Old 10-27-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsinclair View Post
My d2v (with 3D upgrade) stopped being able to handle bitstreamed audio output from my Xbox One literally overnight.

In the Xbox One interface, I have always had both "HDMI audio" and "Optical audio" set to "Bitstream out" so the d2v will do the decoding. The HDMI audio is sent to my home theater speakers, and I have the Optical audio sent to some wireless headphones simultaneously. Works great for when I need to switch to headphones for WAF; just Mute the d2v which is sending audio to my speakers, and I can don the headphones and keep playing seamlessly.

Everything has been working fine. Went to bed one night after playing, then the next morning the audio on my Xbox One was mysteriously silent. Not muted, volume is up, input is correct (can see Xbox One video), other inputs on d2v work fine. I made no changes to the d2v setup or the Xbox One setup at all, it just stopped working.

However, in the Xbox One interface, if I change "HDMI audio" from "Bitstream out" to "5.1 uncompressed" and "Optical audio" from "Bitstream out" to "Stereo uncompressed", which presumably is having the Xbox One do the decoding before sending it to the d2v, I get sound back.

It seems like the d2v just "forgot" how to handle bit streamed audio from the Xbox One literally overnight.

I have of course rebooted both the Xbox One and d2v numerous times, but the results are the same.

Any ideas what could have happened here, and how to fix?

Thanks,
-R

Edit: I also have a PS4 connected to the d2v, and the d2v can handle any of the audio output modes from the PS4 (Linear PCM, Bitstream (Dolby) and Bitstream (DTS) just fine. So this seems like something specific to Xbox One.

What are your Video Output settings for each Source? Is the TV/display on or off when the input is selected?

Setup another input (source setup) for your Xbox with Video Output set to something other than THROUGH. This should work. Then switch back to the other source and my guess is it will be working.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #43269 of 43290 Old 10-27-2014, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Actually, my D2v 3D purchase a year ago, the firmware is 3.09. I find that rca sub 1

Actually, my D2v 3D purchase a year ago, the firmware is 3.09. I find that rca sub 1 pre-out have a good performance and a higher sound pressure than rca sub 2 significiantly. Anyone have the same issue.
Dealer told me to update the firmware 3.10 to see if it can solve the problem. After update the firmware, some problem have occur,such as 1) 5.1 source will automatically change to 7.1 even I set all the present mode to NONE. 2) it can't show the setup menu in the TV while holding the menu bottom.
  • Like Its COMON PROBLEM in D2V 3d 5.1 source will automatically change to 7.1 i also somany times told in this forum but company no have any perfect and corect answer
post #43270 of 43290 Old 10-27-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide

^ why wouldn't you want all 7 speakers to be used? It is the dts spec by the way.

- AVStefan
post #43271 of 43290 Old 10-27-2014, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Iam using 7 speakers but 5.1 is going to mix in seven speaker thats not correct way. when we use 7.1 signal it must automatic activation is corect way "its firmware 3.10 problen when using 3.09 its a perfectly right

Last edited by dreamhomecinema; 10-27-2014 at 09:41 AM.
post #43272 of 43290 Old 10-27-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Look at the DTS speaker configurations on the web. It has to do with the degrees of separation between the sides and rears, which is different for 5.1 and 7.1. With a proper 7.1 setup, a 5.1 signal needs some blending of the sides and rears to achieve the illusion of a proper 5.1 setup.

- AVStefan
post #43273 of 43290 Old 10-27-2014, 10:02 AM

I found that the sound is downgraded significantly when 5.1 source automatic change to 7.1. I try to set the rear channel to NONE under the speaker configuration. It seem that the rear channel sound is mix to the surround channel.
post #43274 of 43290 Old 10-27-2014, 12:28 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockychan View Post
I found that the sound is downgraded significantly when 5.1 source automatic change to 7.1. I try to set the rear channel to NONE under the speaker configuration. It seem that the rear channel sound is mix to the surround channel.
Have you done your ARC setup for 7.1 speakers? Do the ARC charts show that your Rear speakers are broken?

As I said above, you should be using the v3.10 firmware if you have a D2v/3D. That firmware is certified by DTS for how it processes DTS-HD MA 5.1 tracks in a 7.1 speaker configuration. If you find the audio is downgraded due to DTS mapping a portion of the Side Surround content into the Rears in that case then the answer is to figure out what's wrong with your speaker configuration.
--Bob

post #43275 of 43290 Old 10-27-2014, 08:30 PM

Hello again
I had a friend with a laptop redo ARC, like you guys said. And everything is good except the Db levels change on their own (the Db levels you change on the fly, and are OSD)
That's the only thing so far. I would sincerely appreciate any help!
Thanks Rob

Last edited by RobDec; 10-27-2014 at 08:39 PM.
post #43276 of 43290 Old 10-27-2014, 08:54 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Hello again
I had a friend with a laptop redo ARC, like you guys said. And everything is good except the Db levels change on their own (the Db levels you change on the fly, and are OSD)
That's the only thing so far. I would sincerely appreciate any help!
Thanks Rob
Describe what you are doing and what you are seeing that's confusing you.

Are you attempting to adjust the "temporary" level settings for the speakers using the buttons around the arrow keys on the remote?

Those "temporary" level settings are remembered separately for each type of audio input format. If you are checking them and seeing different values from what you set, and if the current audio input format is different from what you were playing when you tried to set them, then that is "normal".
--Bob

post #43277 of 43290 Old 10-27-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Describe what you are doing and what you are seeing that's confusing you.

Are you attempting to adjust the "temporary" level settings for the speakers using the buttons around the arrow keys on the remote?

Those "temporary" level settings are remembered separately for each type of audio input format. If you are checking them and seeing different values from what you set, and if the current audio input format is different from what you were playing when you tried to set them, then that is "normal".
--Bob
Bob
I do adjust the temporary settings and about half way through they change. This happened yesterday and also today. I too thought I was using different audio input formats but today they were the same. All temporary settings went to 0.0

Thank you for your time
Rob
post #43278 of 43290 Old 10-27-2014, 09:08 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Reload Factory Defaults and see if the same thing happens while using default settings.

If so, your Anthem probably needs service as the settings memory is failing.
--Bob

post #43279 of 43290 Old 10-27-2014, 09:19 PM

Thanks Bob
Will do. One question will I lose all my user settings or can I just reload them?
Rob
post #43280 of 43290 Old 10-27-2014, 09:39 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ You can Save your settings in the User or Installer Memory. But I don't know of any reason why the Temporary settings would act as you've described except possibly that what's currently in the Settings is corrupted. That's why I asked you to check with Default settings.

If the problem does NOT happen with Defaults, the good news is that your hardware is probably OK, but the bad news is your existing settings may be corrupted, which means you should recreate them manually instead of relying on the Saved version.

You need to be very clear about what I said above. If the audio format currently playing changes, it is NORMAL for the temporary settings to switch to what was last set for THAT new format. If you are correct that the audio format is NOT changing, but the settings are changing anyway, then that sounds like a hardware fault.
--Bob

post #43281 of 43290 Old 10-27-2014, 09:53 PM

Bob
They are the same.
Rob
post #43282 of 43290 Old 10-27-2014, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

can you give us an example of what levels are changing and what the values are changing from/to?

- AVStefan
post #43283 of 43290 Old 10-27-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
can you give us an example of what levels are changing and what the values are changing from/to?
Yesterday just the Sub levels from +3.o to 0.0 also +3.0 to -3.0. Today all levels went to 0.0
Rob
post #43284 of 43290 Old 10-27-2014, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide

So half way through a program trim levels pop up on the display and jump by 3dB?! Try leaving them all at zero and see if they change. If you are using ARC you shouldn't need to adjust them anyway (unless you are playing poorly mastered material).

Save your user settings. Then load factory defaults followed by load user settings is a sure way to clear out the trims. They are not saved as part of the user settings.
thestewman likes this.

- AVStefan

Last edited by AVfile; 10-27-2014 at 11:14 PM.
post #43285 of 43290 Old 10-27-2014, 11:18 PM

Thanks Avfile
The levels don't pop on the screen. I have to use the buttons. I will try your recomenfdtions tomorrow with my fingers crossed
Rob
post #43286 of 43290 Old 10-28-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Have you done your ARC setup for 7.1 speakers? Do the ARC charts show that your Rear speakers are broken?

As I said above, you should be using the v3.10 firmware if you have a D2v/3D. That firmware is certified by DTS for how it processes DTS-HD MA 5.1 tracks in a 7.1 speaker configuration. If you find the audio is downgraded due to DTS mapping a portion of the Side Surround content into the Rears in that case then the answer is to figure out what's wrong with your speaker configuration.
--Bob
Yes, I have done the ARC for 7.1 speakers. But the graph alway show the front left, front right, surround left and surround right channel. Sometimes it will show all the channels including rear channels.
post #43287 of 43290 Old 10-28-2014, 07:31 AM
Read the FAQ!

Screen capture your ARC charts and Targets window and post them here. All 7.1 speakers should show (if you scroll down). If not, then you've likely made a simple mistake in your ARC setup.

From the charts, we may be able to see if your Rear speakers have a problem.
--Bob
post #43288 of 43290 Old Today, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Some help with my final setup

Greetings,

I am hoping a few of you folks could point me in the right direction. I have owned my D2v/3d for some time now and have had a few posts and replies on our little forum. After 2 years, 1 month, and 4 days I finally completed my home theater project. It was only 1+ year over my projected time line, and my budget went out the window in the 5th month.

That said I have a 16.5 wide by 27.5 long room with 8 ft ceiling. I have one window at the back of the room. (pictures atatched)

Equipment:
Pre pro D2v (running 2.10)

Sources:
Oppo 103
Clear Audio Turntable with CONCERTO V2i cartage
Saunders Audio Phono stage
Sonos
Otari Reel to Reel
Direct TV

Speakers:

Paradigm Signature for all

S8 v2 right and left front
C5 v3 Center
ADP3’s for all surrounds (7.1)
Sub1

Amplification:

Anthem Statement p5 runs the center and 4 surrounds
One Anthem Statement p2 powers left front
One Anthem Statement p2 powers right front

Display:

Panasonic ZT60 (fully set up for future projector)

So I have run a few ARC setups and I am not too happy with the sound. I have had this system in other rooms while this was being built and I was happier with the sound. Of course I do not have my Arch results to post right now, but I think I am starting out wrong. I have never run the bas kit for the Sub and only have used ARC to correct. I have seen post that state that I should run that first ten ARC. Is that Correct?

I feel the room is very booming I do need some absorbers and diffusers but I believe my speaker placement is off as well.

Looking for a starting point form the peanut gallery
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1020141445.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	340337   Click image for larger version

Name:	1020141445a.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	340345   Click image for larger version

Name:	1020141446.jpg
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	340353   Click image for larger version

Name:	1020141446a.jpg
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	340361   Click image for larger version

Name:	1020141533.jpg
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	340369  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1020141711.jpg
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	340377   Click image for larger version

Name:	1020141715.jpg
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	340385  
post #43289 of 43290 Old Today, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerard1meehan View Post
Greetings,

I am hoping a few of you folks could point me in the right direction. I have owned my D2v/3d for some time now and have had a few posts and replies on our little forum. After 2 years, 1 month, and 4 days I finally completed my home theater project. It was only 1+ year over my projected time line, and my budget went out the window in the 5th month.

That said I have a 16.5 wide by 27.5 long room with 8 ft ceiling. I have one window at the back of the room. (pictures atatched)

Equipment:
Pre pro D2v (running 2.10)

Sources:
Oppo 103
Clear Audio Turntable with CONCERTO V2i cartage
Saunders Audio Phono stage
Sonos
Otari Reel to Reel
Direct TV

Speakers:

Paradigm Signature for all

S8 v2 right and left front
C5 v3 Center
ADP3’s for all surrounds (7.1)
Sub1

Amplification:

Anthem Statement p5 runs the center and 4 surrounds
One Anthem Statement p2 powers left front
One Anthem Statement p2 powers right front

Display:

Panasonic ZT60 (fully set up for future projector)

So I have run a few ARC setups and I am not too happy with the sound. I have had this system in other rooms while this was being built and I was happier with the sound. Of course I do not have my Arch results to post right now, but I think I am starting out wrong. I have never run the bas kit for the Sub and only have used ARC to correct. I have seen post that state that I should run that first ten ARC. Is that Correct?

I feel the room is very booming I do need some absorbers and diffusers but I believe my speaker placement is off as well.

Looking for a starting point form the peanut gallery
That room is just slight longer than mine but the rest of the dimensions are similar. I had this same speaker configuration (minus that sub) for a while and it sounded fantastic. That room should definitely get some acoustic treatments in it, both bass traps and treatments at the main reflection points at a minimum. One Sub1 is not going to do a very good job with that size of room. It has decent output, but you would want multiple subs to smooth the response and to cut down the load on the Sub 1 so you're not driving into distortion trying to fill that room. While you're only using 1 sub, I would use the quick measure function to try and find the best place for that sub, where you have it in the pictures is probably not it. I would start with the corners or do the crawl test (quick measure would still be the best).

Once you've found the best place for the sub then do the PBK cal, then ARC. Then post your results here and go from there.

Also, no offense to whoever sold you your equipment but you DEFINITELY do NOT need a dedicated P2 for each of those S8s you're running. Way overkill for that speaker. One P2 can handle the S8's with no issues at all, especially if you're engaging any type of bass management (which you should).

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #43290 of 43290 Old Today, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
That room is just slight longer than mine but the rest of the dimensions are similar. I had this same speaker configuration (minus that sub) for a while and it sounded fantastic. That room should definitely get some acoustic treatments in it, both bass traps and treatments at the main reflection points at a minimum. One Sub1 is not going to do a very good job with that size of room. It has decent output, but you would want multiple subs to smooth the response and to cut down the load on the Sub 1 so you're not driving into distortion trying to fill that room. While you're only using 1 sub, I would use the quick measure function to try and find the best place for that sub, where you have it in the pictures is probably not it. I would start with the corners or do the crawl test (quick measure would still be the best).

Once you've found the best place for the sub then do the PBK cal, then ARC. Then post your results here and go from there.

Also, no offense to whoever sold you your equipment but you DEFINITELY do NOT need a dedicated P2 for each of those S8s you're running. Way overkill for that speaker. One P2 can handle the S8's with no issues at all, especially if you're engaging any type of bass management (which you should).
Thanks for the recommendations. Ill start on that this weekend.

BTW I went went two amps on my own. Driven the S8s both ways and although one P2 is enough I felt the two amp configuration sounded better. Also got the other P2 dirt cheap!

Arc pics to follow, other recommendations welcome
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page