Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 1444 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 65Likes

post #43291 of 43862 Old 10-30-2014, 11:02 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 1113
Also, I hope that was a typo and you have the V3.10 firmware in the Anthem. You should not be running v2.10 firmware on a D2v/3D.

While you are at it, check what version of the ARC setup app you are using on your Windows computer. It should be v3.0.2.

If you have the wrong versions. Update and do a fresh ARC run.
--Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43292 of 43862 Old 10-30-2014, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Also, I hope that was a typo and you have the V3.10 firmware in the Anthem. You should not be running v2.10 firmware on a D2v/3D.

While you are at it, check what version of the ARC setup app you are using on your Windows computer. It should be v3.0.2.

If you have the wrong versions. Update and do a fresh ARC run.
--Bob
Yes I had a few Typos. I am running 3.10 and the latest ARC,

Doing some further research I do believe I have my fronts too close to the side and back walls.

ARC charts to follow
post #43293 of 43862 Old 10-30-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerard1meehan View Post
Yes I had a few Typos. I am running 3.10 and the latest ARC,

Doing some further research I do believe I have my fronts too close to the side and back walls.

ARC charts to follow
And

Use a mirror to find the reflection points on the side walls. Those bare side walls have to be causing you problems.
As a starting point move the Sub 1 into the left corner before you run Anthem PBK.
Move the LF and RF speakers about 3 ft from the rear wall and 3 ft from the side walls
before you do the mirror reflection test.
Run PBK. Then set all your levels and bypass the SUb 1 crossover then Run ARC
post #43294 of 43862 Old 10-31-2014, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Greetings,

I am hoping a few of you folks could point me in the right direction. I have owned my D2v/3d for some time now and have had a few posts and replies on our little forum. After 2 years, 1 month, and 4 days I finally completed my home theater project. It was only 1+ year over my projected time line, and my budget went out the window in the 5th month.

That said I have a 16.5 wide by 27.5 long room with 8 ft ceiling. I have one window at the back of the room. (pictures atatched)

Equipment:
Pre pro D2v (running 2.10)

Sources:
Oppo 103
Clear Audio Turntable with CONCERTO V2i cartage
Saunders Audio Phono stage
Sonos
Otari Reel to Reel
Direct TV

Speakers:

Paradigm Signature for all

S8 v2 right and left front
C5 v3 Center
ADP3’s for all surrounds (7.1)
Sub1

Amplification:

Anthem Statement p5 runs the center and 4 surrounds
One Anthem Statement p2 powers left front
One Anthem Statement p2 powers right front

Display:

Panasonic ZT60 (fully set up for future projector)

So I have run a few ARC setups and I am not too happy with the sound. I have had this system in other rooms while this was being built and I was happier with the sound. Of course I do not have my Arch results to post right now, but I think I am starting out wrong. I have never run the bas kit for the Sub and only have used ARC to correct. I have seen post that state that I should run that first ten ARC. Is that Correct?

I feel the room is very booming I do need some absorbers and diffusers but I believe my speaker placement is off as well.

Looking for a starting point form the peanut gallery
Ok,

Last evening when I got home I did maneuver the speakers and sub around.

The front speakers are now 6.5 feet from the rear wall and 3.5 feet from the side walls.

I move the sub into the front right corner

Then I ran Arc in automatic ( forgot to run the sub correction)

See charts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arc1.PNG
Views:	81
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	342561   Click image for larger version

Name:	arc 2.PNG
Views:	78
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	342569  
post #43295 of 43862 Old 10-31-2014, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Quote:
Greetings,

I am hoping a few of you folks could point me in the right direction. I have owned my D2v/3d for some time now and have had a few posts and replies on our little forum. After 2 years, 1 month, and 4 days I finally completed my home theater project. It was only 1+ year over my projected time line, and my budget went out the window in the 5th month.

That said I have a 16.5 wide by 27.5 long room with 8 ft ceiling. I have one window at the back of the room. (pictures atatched)

Equipment:
Pre pro D2v (running 2.10)

Sources:
Oppo 103
Clear Audio Turntable with CONCERTO V2i cartage
Saunders Audio Phono stage
Sonos
Otari Reel to Reel
Direct TV

Speakers:

Paradigm Signature for all

S8 v2 right and left front
C5 v3 Center
ADP3’s for all surrounds (7.1)
Sub1

Amplification:

Anthem Statement p5 runs the center and 4 surrounds
One Anthem Statement p2 powers left front
One Anthem Statement p2 powers right front

Display:

Panasonic ZT60 (fully set up for future projector)

So I have run a few ARC setups and I am not too happy with the sound. I have had this system in other rooms while this was being built and I was happier with the sound. Of course I do not have my Arch results to post right now, but I think I am starting out wrong. I have never run the bas kit for the Sub and only have used ARC to correct. I have seen post that state that I should run that first ten ARC. Is that Correct?

I feel the room is very booming I do need some absorbers and diffusers but I believe my speaker placement is off as well.

Looking for a starting point form the peanut gallery
Ok,

The front speakers are now 6.5 feet from the rear wall and 3.5 feet from the side walls.

See charts.
May I suggest that you do your speaker setup completely Independent of ARC? In other words nail the sound without ARC first. I think you have placement issues that have nothing to do with ARC. ARC isn't a cure-all and will greatly enhance speakers that are already properly placed in a room.
thestewman likes this.
post #43296 of 43862 Old 10-31-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok,

See charts.
Not bad but you can improve this a lot.
You need to do the mirror test for first reflections and mount something that is non reflective on the sidewalls. As you can see there is a huge rise in your left front speaker which may be caused by the first reflection.
You do not have to be 6 feet from the rear wall 3 to 3.5 is sufficient. You do want some of the rear firing sound to reach the listening position and the distance will change the timing it arrives there.
You do need to work on the integration of the sub with the front speakers.
You will notice the front speakers start to fall off dramatically at 100hz and the sub starts to fall off at 50hz.
First use Quick measure and RBK to find the best location for the sub. You are looking for the flatest response curve.
Then Run RBK.
Using RBK will lessen the loss of processing power that ARC has to use to correct the SUB.
Then use the manual feature in ARC not auto.
You should be familiar with most of ARC now.
Open The ARC program.
Click on Targets in the upper Toolbar. Then click on Advanced at the lower right
Your SUB 1 easily goes to below 20hz without a problem.
So set the Subwoofer High Pass Order to FLAT in both movie and music config
Then set the Min Subwoofer EQ to 20 in both movie and music config
Click on OK
Now rerun ARC
Again post your charts and be sure to include the Targets window

Stew

Last edited by thestewman; 10-31-2014 at 12:47 PM.
post #43297 of 43862 Old 10-31-2014, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AVM 50 Upgrade

I have an older AVM 50 that was installed in 2006. I've never done any upgrades at all. Model number in the low 130500'5. Thinking about doing the $1500 upgrade. Having said that, I don't really care about 3D. I'm also questioning whether there will be a whole new platform by the time 4K hits for real in a couple years.

What is the community consensus? I'm really not disatisfied with it as it is now. Just not sure if the money is worth it.

Thanks in advance,

Frank
post #43298 of 43862 Old 10-31-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgbaloh View Post
I have an older AVM 50 that was installed in 2006. I've never done any upgrades at all. Model number in the low 130500'5. Thinking about doing the $1500 upgrade. Having said that, I don't really care about 3D. I'm also questioning whether there will be a whole new platform by the time 4K hits for real in a couple years.

What is the community consensus? I'm really not disatisfied with it as it is now. Just not sure if the money is worth it.

Thanks in advance,

Frank
I believe the upgrade period is long gone and does not exist anymore.
Other than 3D Pass Through what would you gain ?

Upgrading the original AVM50v to 3D
Anthem offers existing AVM 50v owners the option to add 3D capability through a physical upgrade via a new dealer-installed circuit board which replaces two smaller boards for HDMI inputs 1 through 4 and HDMI output 1. This upgrade will also include a software update. Complementing the 3D switching and automatic passthrough features, the upgrade also provides the AVM 50v with video processor bypass for 2D, something useful for reference quality video content that doesn't require processing or scaling.
post #43299 of 43862 Old 11-01-2014, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
I believe the upgrade period is long gone and does not exist anymore.
Other than 3D Pass Through what would you gain ?

Upgrading the original AVM50v to 3D
Anthem offers existing AVM 50v owners the option to add 3D capability through a physical upgrade via a new dealer-installed circuit board which replaces two smaller boards for HDMI inputs 1 through 4 and HDMI output 1. This upgrade will also include a software update. Complementing the 3D switching and automatic passthrough features, the upgrade also provides the AVM 50v with video processor bypass for 2D, something useful for reference quality video content that doesn't require processing or scaling.
I believe that the only upgrade that can be done to the original AVM50 (I have one) is ARC. This requires replacing the DSP board. I'm not sure if Anthem still offers this. I had mine done in 2009.

Glenn
post #43300 of 43862 Old 11-01-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:

Not bad but you can improve this a lot.
You need to do the mirror test for first reflections and mount something that is non reflective on the sidewalls. As you can see there is a huge rise in your left front speaker which may be caused by the first reflection.
You do not have to be 6 feet from the rear wall 3 to 3.5 is sufficient. You do want some of the rear firing sound to reach the listening position and the distance will change the timing it arrives there.
You do need to work on the integration of the sub with the front speakers.
You will notice the front speakers start to fall off dramatically at 100hz and the sub starts to fall off at 50hz.
First use Quick measure and RBK to find the best location for the sub. You are looking for the flatest response curve.
Then Run RBK.
Using RBK will lessen the loss of processing power that ARC has to use to correct the SUB.
Then use the manual feature in ARC not auto.
You should be familiar with most of ARC now.
Open The ARC program.
Click on Targets in the upper Toolbar. Then click on Advanced at the lower right
Your SUB 1 easily goes to below 20hz without a problem.
So set the Subwoofer High Pass Order to FLAT in both movie and music config
Then set the Min Subwoofer EQ to 20 in both movie and music config
Click on OK
Now rerun ARC
Again post your charts and be sure to include the Targets window

Stew
Stew,

Thanks for the advise.

So I moved the to fronts back a foot to 5 ft from the wall, and re-positioned the sub. Then I found the first and second reflections and added some absorbing panels. Ran the PBK, then Arc. So far so good. Happier with the results but I am sure i do need further tweeking

Charts below

Gerard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11-1arc1.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	344658   Click image for larger version

Name:	11-1arc2.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	344666  
post #43301 of 43862 Old 11-01-2014, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Something strange happening with my D2v, while playing Destiny on my Xbox One my center channel amp and my surrounds amps cut out due to no signal, but my D2v displays that I am still running 7.1. If I switch to another game my amps click on and all is good. Back to Destiny and after a while the amps click off again, I just get stereo sound but the D2v reads 7.1 Change to another game like BF4 and they click back on. I thought maybe my HDMI cable was the culprit but after changing it the problem continues. I thought it was isolated to the game Destiny but now for the second or third week in a row, while watching the Toronto Maple Leafs on CBC the same thing continues to occur. The amps click off but the D2v still reads 5.1, if I change to another CBC feed the problem persists, but any other channel is good and the amps click on. I did find one CBC feed where the amps don't click off. Anyone ever had something like this happen?

John

Anthem Statement D2v3D, Paradigm Sub 2, Paradigm S8s with C5, Anthem Statement M1 Amps, 174" AT Scope Screen, Epson 6010 3D Projector
post #43302 of 43862 Old 11-01-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Stew,

Thanks for the advise.

So I moved the to fronts back a foot to 5 ft from the wall, and re-positioned the sub. Then I found the first and second reflections and added some absorbing panels. Ran the PBK, then Arc. So far so good. Happier with the results but I am sure i do need further tweeking

Charts below

Gerard

Questions for you

Did you use a sound level meter to set the levels.? They are a bit high at 85 db. They should be 75 db

Did you use ARC in the Manual mode and not Auto ?
Did you go into the Targets/Advanced screen and set the Sub Woofer to Flat ? And at 20hz

Have you checked you turned Room EQ ON for the audio sources you want to use ARC with ?
Most of your sources are analog so remember ARC does not work with any source audio set to Analog Direct they have to be Analog Digital

You forgot to post the Targets window we need that to make suggestions.

You can see that RBK took care of reducing ARC's processing of the SUB.
I think you should use ARC / Quick Measure and see if you can eliminate the low end problem with your Left Front speaker. Maybe they are still to far from the front wall.

What is your assessment of what you now hear.

Personally I would not use ARC for your turntable/phono amp or your open reel machine.
I like to use Analog Direct on all my analog and HiRez stereo or multichannel sources.
You should compare Analog Direct to Analog Digital to determine which you prefer.

Stew
post #43303 of 43862 Old 11-01-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studlygoorite View Post
Something strange happening with my D2v, while playing Destiny on my Xbox One my center channel amp and my surrounds amps cut out due to no signal, but my D2v displays that I am still running 7.1. If I switch to another game my amps click on and all is good. Back to Destiny and after a while the amps click off again, I just get stereo sound but the D2v reads 7.1 Change to another game like BF4 and they click back on. I thought maybe my HDMI cable was the culprit but after changing it the problem continues. I thought it was isolated to the game Destiny but now for the second or third week in a row, while watching the Toronto Maple Leafs on CBC the same thing continues to occur. The amps click off but the D2v still reads 5.1, if I change to another CBC feed the problem persists, but any other channel is good and the amps click on. I did find one CBC feed where the amps don't click off. Anyone ever had something like this happen?

John
Hey There Studly

Not unusual for cable or satellite and especially hockey or sporting events. They transmit stereo almost exclusively.
The game you will have to test on another machine or get a second copy to determine if it is the game or if it is defective.
post #43304 of 43862 Old 11-02-2014, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!
Are there any plans to implement Dolby Atmos or Auro3d?
post #43305 of 43862 Old 11-02-2014, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hey There Studly

Not unusual for cable or satellite and especially hockey or sporting events. They transmit stereo almost exclusively.
The game you will have to test on another machine or get a second copy to determine if it is the game or if it is defective.
Hey Stew,

But if it was the source you would think the D2v would change the display wouldn't you?

Anthem Statement D2v3D, Paradigm Sub 2, Paradigm S8s with C5, Anthem Statement M1 Amps, 174" AT Scope Screen, Epson 6010 3D Projector
post #43306 of 43862 Old 11-02-2014, 08:01 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 1113
^ What he's saying is that it is not unusual for programs like that to only have audio in the LF/RF channels even though they are transmitting a 5.1 Bitstream.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #43307 of 43862 Old 11-02-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^ What he's saying is that it is not unusual for programs like that to only have audio in the LF/RF channels even though they are transmitting a 5.1 Bitstream.
--Bob
+1

Thanks Bob

There are so many people and so much handling of the signal before it reaches us there is no way to know where the multichannel signal disappeared or when it was removed.
post #43308 of 43862 Old 11-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
--Bob
I did not know that, thanks for your time guys.

post #43309 of 43862 Old 11-04-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Questions for you

Did you use a sound level meter to set the levels.? They are a bit high at 85 db. They should be 75 db

Did you use ARC in the Manual mode and not Auto ?
Did you go into the Targets/Advanced screen and set the Sub Woofer to Flat ? And at 20hz

Have you checked you turned Room EQ ON for the audio sources you want to use ARC with ?
Most of your sources are analog so remember ARC does not work with any source audio set to Analog Direct they have to be Analog Digital

You forgot to post the Targets window we need that to make suggestions.

You can see that RBK took care of reducing ARC's processing of the SUB.
I think you should use ARC / Quick Measure and see if you can eliminate the low end problem with your Left Front speaker. Maybe they are still to far from the front wall.

What is your assessment of what you now hear.

Personally I would not use ARC for your turntable/phono amp or your open reel machine.
I like to use Analog Direct on all my analog and HiRez stereo or multichannel sources.
You should compare Analog Direct to Analog Digital to determine which you prefer.

Stew
Stew,

I did not set the levels, I did use the manual ARC and set the sub levels. Since that post I did move my fronts back a little to about 4.5 feet from the wall.

Of course my laptop is having issues and not letting copy my charts.

As for my Analog side. While i was in mid construction I had the D2v in a room with cathedral ceilings and wood floors. So I found that the Analog DSP was blessing in that room. In the new room I prefer the tape in DSP, as for Vinyl I don't know. Sunday when I was going to play my first record I snapped my cartridge. A heartbreaking and stupid thing on my part. Waiting for an exchange with ClearAudio, and that will be a few weeks, (and the coin I stashed for acoustical treatments).

More to follow as I progress. Hope to have charts up shortly.

But I am much happier with the sound today than when I first posted.

G
post #43310 of 43862 Old 11-04-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Stew,

I did not set the levels, I did use the manual ARC and set the sub levels. Since that post I did move my fronts back a little to about 4.5 feet from the wall.

Of course my laptop is having issues and not letting copy my charts.

As for my Analog side. While i was in mid construction I had the D2v in a room with cathedral ceilings and wood floors. So I found that the Analog DSP was blessing in that room. In the new room I prefer the tape in DSP, as for Vinyl I don't know. Sunday when I was going to play my first record I snapped my cartridge. A heartbreaking and stupid thing on my part. Waiting for an exchange with ClearAudio, and that will be a few weeks, (and the coin I stashed for acoustical treatments).

More to follow as I progress. Hope to have charts up shortly.

But I am much happier with the sound today than when I first posted.

G
Good to hear it is sounding better.
This is very important..If I am to interpret literally your statement " I did not set the levels, ".
And how do you come up with 4.5 ft from the front wall. Arbitrarily ?
Use Quick Measure so you can improve on the Left Front response and the sound stage
You have to set the levels EXACTLY as outlined in the manual. ARC cannot correctly or properly function without the basic setup. So what you are hearing is an improperly setup system. You might as well turn it off as ARC is currently trying to compensate for the wrong sound levels.

When you get the charts up do not forget the Target window.

And you never said if you checked each source to see if Room EQ is set to ON.

Stew
post #43311 of 43862 Old 11-04-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Good to hear it is sounding better.
This is very important..If I am to interpret literally your statement " I did not set the levels, ".
And how do you come up with 4.5 ft from the front wall. Arbitrarily ?
Use Quick Measure so you can improve on the Left Front response and the sound stage
You have to set the levels EXACTLY as outlined in the manual. ARC cannot correctly or properly function without the basic setup. So what you are hearing is an improperly setup system. You might as well turn it off as ARC is currently trying to compensate for the wrong sound levels.

When you get the charts up do not forget the Target window.

And you never said if you checked each source to see if Room EQ is set to ON.

Stew
I am confused as to setting the levels. Page 30 of the manual says use a meter to set the levels if not using ARC. So I did not adjust as I am using ARC. Please clarify how I am approaching this incorrectly.

I did utilize the quick measure function for the L&R fronts. This was how I determined that distance.

ARC is on for all sources.

As for the targets I set the SUb as you suggested. As for the the remainder of the speakers I left the crossovers at what ARC Autodetected. They were as Follows

Front 60
Center 60
surrounds 110
rears 95
Sub 85

I will hopefully have the charts up in a few hours
post #43312 of 43862 Old 11-04-2014, 02:40 PM

OK,

Arc results
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	arc 11-2-1.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	349778   Click image for larger version

Name:	arc 11-2-2.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	349786   Click image for larger version

Name:	arc targets.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	349794   Click image for larger version

Name:	arc sub.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	349802  
post #43313 of 43862 Old 11-04-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am confused as to setting the levels. Page 30 of the manual says use a meter to set the levels if not using ARC. So I did not adjust as I am using ARC. Please clarify how I am approaching this incorrectly.

I did utilize the quick measure function for the L&R fronts. This was how I determined that distance.

ARC is on for all sources.

As for the targets I set the SUb as you suggested. As for the the remainder of the speakers I left the crossovers at what ARC Autodetected. They were as Follows

Front 60
Center 60
surrounds 110
rears 95
Sub 85

I will hopefully have the charts up in a few hours
I guess I would be confused also if I had to follow the Anthem manual exclusively.
Luckily we have some knowledgeable forum members who have hashed this out previously.

It does state in the ARC section of the D2v manual " The first microphone position is at the central listening position". " This is used to set Speaker Calibration Levels".
Yet Anthem does not have the instructions

You will need a Sound Lever Meter set to C weighted, Slow response

Here is Bob Pariseau's Speaker Calibration Technique

"Zero all the lines in Setup > Level Calibration, then use the Test Level line (test tone will come from LF speaker) and adjust that to yield 75dB SPL measured with a sound pressure level meter at your ARC mic position 1 (center seating).
Everyone uses the inexpensive, digital readout SPL meter sold by Radio Shack. Point that straight up, held at arm's length, at seated ear height, and set to "Slow" response and "C" weighting.

Leave the rest of the Level Calibration lines at 0dB. Go down to to the Subwoofer line and, leaving that at 0dB, adjust the volume using the volume knob on the Sub itself. Ballpark settings are fine for this, as ARC will do all the fine tuning of volume levels.

With the Test Level line and the Sub volume knob set, and with speaker distances and Sub Phase dialed in, you can now do your ARC Measurement pass.
NOTE: You only have to do these preliminaries once (presuming you don't shift speakers around), as what you set up here will still be in place for any subsequent ARC runs you do."

Also I looked at your latest charts and noticed two items that absolutely need fixing.

There is something wrong with both the front speakers
The anomaly in the frequency response of the Left Front speaker. Try Quick Measure and see if you can eliminate the dip from 50hz to 200hz.
There is also an anomaly in the right front speaker starting at 400 hz and going to 50hz.
I suggest you try switching the amp inputs and rerunning ARC or Quick Measure to see if changing the inputs changes the freq response charts.
Or, temporarily switch the speakers and see if the charts change with the speakers.
You are not going to get the sound you want until you get a hand on the problem.
With the left front speaker ARC has added as much correction as the program allows and it is not enough to overcome the problem.

Last, when looking at your Targets for some reason it did not lock in the changes to the sub.
Maybe you forgot to click OK It should look like this.

Name:	ARC .JPG
Views:	55
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	349914

Last edited by thestewman; 11-04-2014 at 06:44 PM.
post #43314 of 43862 Old 11-04-2014, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Questions for you

I would question first if he is running Windows 8. ARC is known to number the charts 10dB high under Windows 8.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #43315 of 43862 Old 11-04-2014, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
I would question first if he is running Windows 8. ARC is known to number the charts 10dB high under Windows 8.
He has stated,

"I am confused as to setting the levels. Page 30 of the manual says use a meter to set the levels if not using ARC. So I did not adjust as I am using ARC. Please clarify how I am approaching this incorrectly."

He properly followed the Anthem D2v manual which does not instruct you to set the speaker levels if using ARC.
post #43316 of 43862 Old 11-05-2014, 05:40 AM

OK,

Looks like I'll start from scratch again. Thanks for taking the time to help

I'm running Vista on my laptop

More to follow
post #43317 of 43862 Old 11-05-2014, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Arc results
1. Front Left measured response has a notch at 80 Hz resulting in a slight miss after eq compared to target curve. This 2 dB may not be audible since another front speaker and the sub are also playing though repositioning the speaker may help (the right speaker would also have to be moved in symmetry) if there's room for doing so. Either way, changing Fronts and Center targets to 80 Hz and recalculating can also help.

2. Your sub channel measured response (red curve) declines steadily from just over 70 Hz, and it's really low at 100 Hz, which usually means the sub's crossover is in effect. This could contribute to booming sound. Check whether the sub's crossover setting is as high as it goes and if it's not, set it to max and re-run ARC. Since it's a Sub 1, don't forget to set sub advanced target to Flat in ARC (PBK does this in itself since it knows you're using a Sub 1... ARC doesn't).

No need to set levels manually because absolute level (75 dB) matters in terms of getting certain SPL when volume dial is at 0 dB, which hardly seems to happen since it's so loud. The main point is that all speaker levels are matched to one another.

Uploading ARC turns it on for all sources.

For more advice you can always send your .arc and .pdm files to tech support.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #43318 of 43862 Old 11-05-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post
1. Front Left measured response has a notch at 80 Hz resulting in a slight miss after eq compared to target curve. This 2 dB may not be audible since another front speaker and the sub are also playing though repositioning the speaker may help (the right speaker would also have to be moved in symmetry) if there's room for doing so. Either way, changing Fronts and Center targets to 80 Hz and recalculating can also help.

2. Your sub channel measured response (red curve) declines steadily from just over 70 Hz, and it's really low at 100 Hz, which usually means the sub's crossover is in effect. This could contribute to booming sound. Check whether the sub's crossover setting is as high as it goes and if it's not, set it to max and re-run ARC. Since it's a Sub 1, don't forget to set sub advanced target to Flat in ARC (PBK does this in itself since it knows you're using a Sub 1... ARC doesn't).

No need to set levels manually because absolute level (75 dB) matters in terms of getting certain SPL when volume dial is at 0 dB, which hardly seems to happen since it's so loud. The main point is that all speaker levels are matched to one another.

Nick,

Thanks for the information. I have some work ahead of me
post #43319 of 43862 Old 11-05-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post

Nick
Thanks for adding a professional opinion on his charts.Really appreciated to see you are still watching the forum.
In regards to setting the levels. How would one know the levels are matched if you do not test and set them ?
He is using separate amplifiers and we do not know if he is using a mixture of balanced and single ended connections.
With the Signature S8 speakers I could not find any user manuals on the Paradigm web site.
Is there a User manual available to download ?
This leaves us in the dark in knowing what is adjustable on each speaker or where they might be set.

He ran PBK on his Sub 1 prior to ARC and all his SUB 1 settings should have been preset.
post #43320 of 43862 Old 11-05-2014, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 75
^
"How would one know the levels are matched if you do not test and set them ?"

ARC measures levels and during upload it sets the level calibration menu according to mic position 1. This is why the instructions say start ARC measurements in the central listening position and don't worry about setting levels in the calibration menu if using ARC.

"He is using separate amplifiers and we do not know if he is using a mixture of balanced and single ended connections."

Knowing wouldn't make a difference. Level measurement picks up on everything affecting level from signal generator to mic, namely pre-out voltage, amp gain, speaker efficiency and proximity. Calibration exists to account for the differences by making all speakers play at the same volume.

"With the Signature S8 speakers I could not find any user manuals on the Paradigm web site. Is there a User manual available to download ?"

Click on Reviews & Downloads or Support. It's the same layout on the Anthem site.

"He ran PBK on his Sub 1 prior to ARC and all his SUB 1 settings should have been preset."

The subwoofer measured curve (the red one) on his second set of ARC graphs resembles an 80 Hz crossover. This means the subwoofer's crossover isn't set where it needs to be.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page