20Likes

post #43351 of 43379 Old 11-10-2014, 04:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
I would suggest you try my setup suggestion and if you want to use ARC modify it by changing your source setup to Analog Digital. This would let you pass the DSD converted to analog by the OPPO to the D2 and also analog from the Sony.
Stereo or surround ?. Use the Anthem remote to select the correct source and input.
Forget using HDMI for HiRez audio except for Blu Ray lossless audio with the accompanying video.

Understand the reason for the HDMI is to prevent you from making 1:1 copies.
So playing a SACD or streaming of DSD to analog by the OPPO DAC is usually a bit perfect copy.
Somewhere in the chain there has to be a DAC to convert the DSD to analog.
You may find the Anthem D2 with Analog Direct sounds as good and maybe better than the Parasound.
The Anthem in Analog Direct only has the volume control op amps in the circuit.
Only limitation is the D2 is limited to 96k. There are a lot of HiRez LPCM signals higher than that

Remember most if not all music has no LFE signal for the sub woofer.

Unless I am misreading what you state above how do you connect surround directly to the amps ?
The Oppo outputs analog LPCM to enable speaker management.If I were to set the output of the Oppo to be DSD, there would be no speaker management. Thus, my thinking was to send digital from the Oppo and use the DAC process of the D2, which i would hope is at least equal to that of the Oppo 105. That would permit the use of ARC.

At first I thought your setup recommendation was brilliant, because I could use DSD surround from the Oppo if the D2 provides speaker management. But then I realized the D2 would need to digitize the input from the Oppo in order to provide speaker management. Am I missing something? I'm easily confused when it comes to DSD.

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
Ayre C-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-105, & Sony XA5400ES disc players
Parasound JC-2 preamp into Proceed HPA amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds
Velodyne SMS-1 bass managers & a pair of HGS-15 subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43352 of 43379 Old 11-10-2014, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 66
^ Since the D2 applies bass management and time alignment, make sure the player doesn't also apply these processes when outputting PCM - set all channels to Large and to the same distance in the player. As for D series DAC sound quality, we ran listening tests and no one could tell the difference between analog-direct and analog-DSP when anything meant to change the sound was disabled (D series bass management set Large etc). This is to say that the ADC is also transparent.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #43353 of 43379 Old 11-10-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
The Oppo outputs analog LPCM to enable speaker management.If I were to set the output of the Oppo to be DSD, there would be no speaker management. Thus, my thinking was to send digital from the Oppo and use the DAC process of the D2, which i would hope is at least equal to that of the Oppo 105. That would permit the use of ARC.

At first I thought your setup recommendation was brilliant, because I could use DSD surround from the Oppo if the D2 provides speaker management. But then I realized the D2 would need to digitize the input from the Oppo in order to provide speaker management. Am I missing something? I'm easily confused when it comes to DSD.

db
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post
^ Since the D2 applies bass management and time alignment, make sure the player doesn't also apply these processes when outputting PCM - set all channels to Large and to the same distance in the player. As for D series DAC sound quality, we ran listening tests and no one could tell the difference between analog-direct and analog-DSP when anything meant to change the sound was disabled (D series bass management set Large etc). This is to say that the ADC is also transparent.
Hey guys !
What's missing here is the Anthem. Any model. Cannot do DSD. Period. And not SACD via HDMI.
With your setup if you are going to do DSD or SACD you should output analog from the OPPO. You have a state of the art DAC used in many high end DACs in the OPPO 105 and it has an audiophile analog section that works excellently. For stereo music and music surround you do not need the speaker management of the OPPO. Same goes for SACD. Use the OPPO analog output. It will sound overwhelmingly better than the OPPO digital coaxial or optical. If you feel ARC is necessary use Analog DSP in the Anthem.
Personally I like the idea of feeding the OPPO analog stereo directly to the Parasound and using the Home Theater Bypass to eliminate the Anthem for analog stereo. With the Surround feed the OPPO or Sony multi channel outputs to the Anthem. Then use the Anthem 6.1 SE source set to analog DSP to enable ARC if you want.

Last edited by thestewman; 11-10-2014 at 10:17 AM.
post #43354 of 43379 Old 11-10-2014, 11:22 AM

I wish to thank Bob, Nick @ Anthem, and thestewman for their advice in using an Anthem D2 with my Oppo 105 and Sony XA5400ES.

Oppo to D2
I think that advice leads me to take analog DSD from the Oppo to the D2 and use the analog-DSP provision of the D2. DSD output from the Oppo eliminates any speaker management by the Oppo, so the D2 will provide that. I would expect to continue to use the stereo output of the Oppo for front LR. I assume the Oppo can process the lossless codecs and send the result as DSD to the D2, is that correct?

Sony to D2
Given the Sony outputs surround only as HDMI, it will be connected to the D2 via HDMI. Analog stereo DSD from the Sony will go to the JC-2 BP. (Multi/2 channel and HDMI are button selections at the Sony.)

Ayre & JC-3
The C-5xeMP and JC-3 phono stage will continue to go only through the JC-2 BP.

Thanks for all your help,
db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
post #43355 of 43379 Old 11-10-2014, 01:06 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
I wish to thank Bob, Nick @ Anthem, and thestewman for their advice in using an Anthem D2 with my Oppo 105 and Sony XA5400ES.

Oppo to D2
I think that advice leads me to take analog DSD from the Oppo to the D2 and use the analog-DSP provision of the D2. DSD output from the Oppo eliminates any speaker management by the Oppo, so the D2 will provide that. I would expect to continue to use the stereo output of the Oppo for front LR. I assume the Oppo can process the lossless codecs and send the result as DSD to the D2, is that correct?

Sony to D2
Given the Sony outputs surround only as HDMI, it will be connected to the D2 via HDMI. Analog stereo DSD from the Sony will go to the JC-2 BP. (Multi/2 channel and HDMI are button selections at the Sony.)

Ayre & JC-3
The C-5xeMP and JC-3 phono stage will continue to go only through the JC-2 BP.

Thanks for all your help,
db
DSD is a digital audio format used for SACD discs (and some media files you might play off a hard drive). Unless you play media files, the only place you will encounter DSD is on SACD discs.

The normal digital audio formats on the HDMI cable are Bitstreams (like DTS-HD MA) and LPCM. LPCM is the "simplest" audio format, and it's what you get from a Bitstream when the Bitstream is decoded. The OPPO can decode Bitstreams to LPCM -- which is good for you because the D2 does not handle the newer, lossless Bitstreams (TrueHD and DTS-HD MA).

The OPPO can ALSO convert DSD digital audio to LPCM digital audio. The resulting LPCM can be sent out over HDMI to the D2 or it can be sent to the DACs in the OPPO for conversion to Analog -- including all of the processing the OPPO offers for its Analog outputs. Things like down-mixing, speaker distance adjustment, and crossover processing.

The OPPO also has the special DACs needed to convert DSD digital Audio *DIRECTLY* to Analog for output. However if you use that path, no audio processing is available in the OPPO. I.e., the only thing the OPPO can do for you in that usage is Volume control.

The D2 has the ability to play Analog input unprocessed -- it stays as Analog and you get, basically, just Volume control. Or the D2 can re-digitize the Analog input and then process the resulting digital audio -- as with ARC. The results after processing then get converted BACK to Analog for output to your amps.

---------------------------------------------------------

So when playing an SACD in the OPPO, using a D2, your choices are as follows:

1) HDMI LPCM from the OPPO to the D2. The OPPO will convert the DSD from the SACD discs into multi-channel LPCM 2.0 or LPCM 5.1, at 88.2KHz 24-bit. The D2 can play that unprocessed or processed through ARC. Note that no re-digitization is needed prior to applying ARC because the audio has remained digital (from DSD off disc to LPCM over HDMI to the D2). No speaker configuration processing happens in the OPPO when using HDMI audio output. The D2 is responsible for all that.

2) Multi-channel Analog from the OPPO to the D2 with SACD Output PCM set in the OPPO. The OPPO will convert the DSD from the SACD discs into LPCM as above, process the LPCM according to your settings in the OPPO (e.g., Crossover or down-mix), and send the resulting LPCM to its DACs for conversion to Analog for output. The D2 can play that Analog input unprocessed, or it can re-digitize the Analog input and then do any processing you have specified -- such as ARC. Note that in this PROCESSED case you have a conversion to Analog in the OPPO, followed by a conversion back to Digital in the D2, followed by a conversion back to Analog for output from the D2. You also have the conversion of DSD to LPCM in the OPPO. You can bypass any additional processing in the OPPO (even when using LPCM to its DACs) if you prefer to let the D2 re-digitize and process the audio as through ARC.

3) Multi-channel Analog from the OPPO to the D2 with SACD Output DSD set in the OPPO. The OPPO will pass the DSD from the SACD discs *DIRECTLY* to its DACS for conversion to Analog for output. No processing (other than Volume control) is available in the OPPO when DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion is in effect. That means no down-mixing, no crossover processing, no speaker distance adjustments, no DTS Neo:6 Surround Sound -- nothing. The D2 can handle that incoming Analog audio just as in (2) above, either with or without ARC. To use ARC the D2 has to re-digitize the Analog audio input just as in (2) above.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are going to use SACD Output PCM (OPPO converts DSD from SACD discs to LPCM), I recommend you use (1) above -- HDMI LPCM to the D2 -- instead of (2).

If you want to compare DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion, i.e., (3) above), I recommend you START by having the D2 re-digitize that Analog input so that you can apply ARC. Compare that against ARC processed LPCM input from the OPPO. My guess is you will find the LPCM sounds *IDENTICAL*. So you might as well stick with HDMI LPCM and keep things simple.

After doing THAT comparison, next switch to ANALOG-DIRECT in the D2 -- which disables ARC among other things. And compare DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion in the OPPO, with the D2 acting as an Analog pre-amp (i.e., NO PROCESSING AT ALL in the D2), against the HDMI LPCM case (1) above processed by ARC.

Keep in mind that since neither the OPPO nor the D2 is doing any audio processing, you will not have Crossover processing (bass directed from the main speakers to the Sub) or down-mix processing (if you have less than 5.1 speakers configured), or speaker distance adjustment (if your speakers are not all equidistant from your seating position).

My guess is you will discover that the advantages of ARC far outweigh any minor difference that exists from having the OPPO convert DSD directly to Analog instead of going the LPCM route. And again, if THAT'S the case then you should stick to HDMI LPCM from the OPPO as it avoids two steps of the audio path -- conversion to Analog in the OPPO and re-digitization back into Digital in the D2 prior to ARC.
--Bob
AVfile and tizzy like this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 11-10-2014 at 01:13 PM.
post #43356 of 43379 Old 11-10-2014, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
^ Bob, that is a very thorough and thoughtful reply. Anyone who visits this forum will readily appreciate the wealth of knowledge that you have and are willing to share with the rest of us. Thank you for doing this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #43357 of 43379 Old 11-10-2014, 04:52 PM

The discussions on using another piece of equipment/device to process SACD/DSD signals (the Oppo in this case) is illustrative of how changes in technology can affect once technology-leading products.

The Anthem D2 came out in late 2005 I believe. This A/V preamp became better with the D2v variant (2009?) which included significant improvements to the video section of the preamp. I read in this forum, that the D2v did not make any significant changes in the audio circuitry. So that means that in the past 9 years, there have been little improvements to the audio side of this A/V preamp.

I bought the D2 to replace two separate audio and video processors. I liked the simplicity of having just one unit that provided great features and sound. For my use today, I still would prefer a single A/V preamp. The audio section of that ideal A/V would have room correction (which the D2/D2v already does) plus do the following: internally decode high resolution files (above 96k), process downloaded DSD files, connect to a NAS (via Wi-Fi and Ethernet), render files, and play the digital files using an app.

My biggest concern as far as Anthem products goes is that maybe Anthem is no longer committed to the high-end technology-leader that the D2/D2v has represented for BOTH audio and video. For a while now, I have been looking for a “tell me it ain’t so Joe” answer. I am still hoping...
post #43358 of 43379 Old 11-10-2014, 05:42 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 945
^ Personally I found the audio in the D2v superior to the audio in the D2. I was *NOT* expecting that, but when I tested it at the time it was pretty obvious to me. Since the Analog sections are the same (barring the usual changes in parts selection as manufacturing evolves through the years), I have to assume that's all in the digital processing for audio in the D2v.
--Bob
Billybobjimbob likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #43359 of 43379 Old 11-10-2014, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Personally I found the audio in the D2v superior to the audio in the D2. I was *NOT* expecting that, but when I tested it at the time it was pretty obvious to me. Since the Analog sections are the same (barring the usual changes in parts selection as manufacturing evolves through the years), I have to assume that's all in the digital processing for audio in the D2v.
--Bob
Since Anthem would not tell us at the time we have to speculate that maybe they changed, upgraded or wrote new firmware for the DAC.
The change to 24/192kHz frrom 24/96 kHz made a big difference in the D2v capabilities.
And the ability to decode the lossless HD audio codecs on Video files was dramatic.
post #43360 of 43379 Old 11-10-2014, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

3) Multi-channel Analog from the OPPO to the D2 with SACD Output DSD set in the OPPO. The OPPO will pass the DSD from the SACD discs *DIRECTLY* to its DACS for conversion to Analog for output. No processing (other than Volume control) is available in the OPPO when DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion is in effect. That means no down-mixing, no crossover processing, no speaker distance adjustments, no DTS Neo:6 Surround Sound -- nothing. The D2 can handle that incoming Analog audio just as in (2) above, either with or without ARC. To use ARC the D2 has to re-digitize the Analog audio input just as in (2) above.
--Bob
You are missing the fact the user Nicoff is concerned about only the best audio he can hear and listen to when playing SACD or DSD. None of the above codecs such as DTS Nero:6 Surround has any bearing on listening to SACD or DSD

Quote:
Keep in mind that since neither the OPPO nor the D2 is doing any audio processing, you will not have Crossover processing (bass directed from the main speakers to the Sub) or down-mix processing (if you have less than 5.1 speakers configured), or speaker distance adjustment (if your speakers are not all equidistant from your seating position).

My guess is you will discover that the advantages of ARC far outweigh any minor difference that exists from having the OPPO convert DSD directly to Analog instead of going the LPCM route. And again, if THAT'S the case then you should stick to HDMI LPCM from the OPPO as it avoids two steps of the audio path -- conversion to Analog in the OPPO and re-digitization back into Digital in the D2 prior to ARC.
--Bob
It would be great if Nicoff returns to the forum after all his testing and gives us his opinion

Last edited by thestewman; 11-11-2014 at 10:03 AM.
post #43361 of 43379 Old 11-11-2014, 02:26 AM

I just set SACD output to be DSD in the Oppo 105 menu. I hadn't tried that before. I'm impressed with the sound. Of course, speaker management is disabled, but I don't notice a hole even though I have no center channel, and the KEF 107/2s don't need to be supplemented by subs for music. If the analog-DSP provision really is transparent, I think I'll take analog DSD surround from the 105 to the D2. Of course, HDMI will be connected for Blu-ray, so I can compare the two connection schemes. I'm eager to try the Anthem ARC for 4.2 (or 6.2 if the D2 can do it).

Thanks guys,
db

post #43362 of 43379 Old 11-11-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoff View Post
The discussions on using another piece of equipment/device to process SACD/DSD signals (the Oppo in this case) is illustrative of how changes in technology can affect once technology-leading products.

The Anthem D2 came out in late 2005 I believe. This A/V preamp became better with the D2v variant (2009?) which included significant improvements to the video section of the preamp. I read in this forum, that the D2v did not make any significant changes in the audio circuitry. So that means that in the past 9 years, there have been little improvements to the audio side of this A/V preamp.
Outside of Dolby Atmos (and other Object-based audio codecs, which are only just now trickling to market) there's been nothing new to add/improve since the D2 came out.

Quote:
I bought the D2 to replace two separate audio and video processors. I liked the simplicity of having just one unit that provided great features and sound. For my use today, I still would prefer a single A/V preamp. The audio section of that ideal A/V would have room correction (which the D2/D2v already does) plus do the following: internally decode high resolution files (above 96k), process downloaded DSD files, connect to a NAS (via Wi-Fi and Ethernet), render files, and play the digital files using an app.
"Glad" isn't really the right word, but I'm "glad" that Anthem doesn't waste their time trying to implement a network media player. That market changes every week and it would be essentially impossible for Anthem to keep up with that market. I've seen the integrated media players in a number of devices and they all have one thing in common, they all suck compared to dedicated streaming devices made by companies (or teams within companies) that make devices specifically for that.

Of course frankly the same thing goes for video processing. I really wish Anthem would offer a processor with only video switching, the video processor in my 50V was an utter waste of money for me since I replaced it with a Lumagen Radiance XE which is just in another league, and really only costs about the difference between an AVM50 and an AVM40 to begin with.

I've basically become completely disillusioned with the whole "one box" mentality, it sounds great in theory, but you end up making too many sacrifices in performance and functionality that it's just not worth it IMO. I'd rather have an excellent SSP (like an AVM 40V in theory), VP (Lumagen Radiance), media player (Roku, WDTV, XBMC/OpenELEC PC, etc, or ideally a Kaleidescape), etc than one box that does everything mediocrely like a (no offense) Anthem AVR.

Quote:
My biggest concern as far as Anthem products goes is that maybe Anthem is no longer committed to the high-end technology-leader that the D2/D2v has represented for BOTH audio and video. For a while now, I have been looking for a “tell me it ain’t so Joe” answer. I am still hoping...
Unfortunately the D2 is far, far from a technology leader on the video front. It may be above average on the SSP/AVR front but you can do a lot better for about what the price difference was (AVM40, HDMI but no Video processing and AVM50).
AVfile likes this.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #43363 of 43379 Old 11-16-2014, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Trying to set up ARC on AVM 50v.

Latest firmware installed by local dealer.

Obtained new Tripp-Let Keyspan USB serial adapter.

Using 11" Macbook Air running latest OS and VMWare running Windows 7.

Tried original install disk software. Able to create and save settings. Unable to upload.

Installed latest ARC software. Again, able to create and save settings. Unable to upload.

The ARC software turns the 50v off and on, and can see the serial number, but is unable to upload.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
post #43364 of 43379 Old 11-16-2014, 02:16 PM

I am trying to set up a Logitech Harmony Remote with my Anthem D2.

I have several devices connected to the DVD inputs (DVD1-4), how can I tell the Harmony which input I want it to use, say DVD3 for example? I read here that Logitech fixed this for the D2v, but they only give one option (DVD) for the D2.

Or can I call my device a D2v even if it is a D2? Maybe they share the same codes for remote?
post #43365 of 43379 Old 11-16-2014, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ht guy View Post
Trying to set up ARC on AVM 50v.

Latest firmware installed by local dealer.

Obtained new Tripp-Let Keyspan USB serial adapter.

Using 11" Macbook Air running latest OS and VMWare running Windows 7.

Tried original install disk software. Able to create and save settings. Unable to upload.

Installed latest ARC software. Again, able to create and save settings. Unable to upload.

The ARC software turns the 50v off and on, and can see the serial number, but is unable to upload.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Do you mean you that are able to run ARC, but are not able to upload the ARC correction to your unit?? Or are you unable to get ARC to run at all. Were you able to get the speaker sweeps at the 5 different mic locations and have RC create a solution?
Just want to make sure I understand where your are getting hung up.

Tom

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #43366 of 43379 Old 11-16-2014, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I am trying to set up a Logitech Harmony Remote with my Anthem D2.

I have several devices connected to the DVD inputs (DVD1-4), how can I tell the Harmony which input I want it to use, say DVD3 for example? I read here that Logitech fixed this for the D2v, but they only give one option (DVD) for the D2.

Or can I call my device a D2v even if it is a D2? Maybe they share the same codes for remote?

I use a URC remote, not Harmony, but the codes are the same for the D2 and D2v. I've used their D2 codes for both a D2 and D2v without any problem. D2v codes should work for you.

Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #43367 of 43379 Old 11-16-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Outside of Dolby Atmos (and other Object-based audio codecs, which are only just now trickling to market) there's been nothing new to add/improve since the D2 came out.

I really wish Anthem would offer a processor with only video switching, the video processor in my 50V was an utter waste of money for me since I replaced it with a Lumagen Radiance XE which is just in another league, and really only costs about the difference between an AVM50 and an AVM40 to begin with.
I agree completely. I have an AVM50v and do not use any of its video processing capabilities.
post #43368 of 43379 Old 11-16-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
I use a URC remote, not Harmony, but the codes are the same for the D2 and D2v. I've used their D2 codes for both a D2 and D2v without any problem. D2v codes should work for you.
Thanks tngiloy! Using the codes for D2v worked!
post #43369 of 43379 Old 11-16-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Do you mean you that are able to run ARC, but are not able to upload the ARC correction to your unit?? Or are you unable to get ARC to run at all. Were you able to get the speaker sweeps at the 5 different mic locations and have RC create a solution?
Just want to make sure I understand where your are getting hung up.
Tom
Yes, I'm able to run ARC, (both measuring and calculating) but am not able to upload the ARC correction to my unit.

Speaker sweeps completed and profile file saved in both original cd (older) and downloaded (current) ARC versions.

Funny thing is, the ARC software turns the unit off and on, as part of the measuring process (and displays the processor serial number) in the software, but when trying to upload, it runs for 30 seconds and then it's "Processor not found."
John
post #43370 of 43379 Old 11-16-2014, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I'm able to run ARC, (both measuring and calculating) but am not able to upload the ARC correction to my unit.

Speaker sweeps completed and profile file saved in both original cd (older) and downloaded (current) ARC versions.

Funny thing is, the ARC software turns the unit off and on, as part of the measuring process (and displays the processor serial number) in the software, but when trying to upload, it runs for 30 seconds and then it's "Processor not found."
John
For some reason I do not remember ARC turning the unit on and off during upload. But the firmware upgrade does turn it on and off.
Are you somehow getting the incorrect windows exe file to run ?
Confirm which is running. Also confirm you only have 1 version of ARC installed and you are using the UPLOAD button at the top of the ARC toolbar ?
post #43371 of 43379 Old 11-17-2014, 03:49 AM

Quote:
For some reason I do not remember ARC turning the unit on and off during upload. But the firmware upgrade does turn it on and off.
Are you somehow getting the incorrect windows exe file to run ?
Confirm which is running. Also confirm you only have 1 version of ARC installed and you are using the UPLOAD button at the top of the ARC toolbar ?
It's not during upload but part of the automatic option for using ARC. The software completes the sweeps and does the calculations, no problem. Even recognizes the processor and shows it's serial number during the process.

When you ask if I am getting the "incorrect exe file to run," are you suggesting I'm accidentally running the firmware update exe? That is definitely not happening.

There is also only one version of ARC running at a time. I am sure of that. I initially tried using only the downloaded (as I would do with other installers - you know, get the latest version) and it failed to even do the sweeps. Then I discovered that the CD has serial number files the installer requires. After I installed that version (in the same folder as the ARC files installed by the CD) it worked to the same point as the original CD install - sweeps and calcs, but alas, failed upload.

If, after the failed automatic run, I go into the manual option and select the setup file (that ARC created from the sweeps and calculations) and select "upload" from the top bar, I get the same result as when the automatic version runs - 30 seconds of waiting and then "processor not found."

Last edited by ht guy; 11-17-2014 at 03:55 AM.
post #43372 of 43379 Old 11-17-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's not during upload but part of the automatic option for using ARC. The software completes the sweeps and does the calculations, no problem. Even recognizes the processor and shows it's serial number during the process.

When you ask if I am getting the "incorrect exe file to run," are you suggesting I'm accidentally running the firmware update exe? That is definitely not happening.

There is also only one version of ARC running at a time. I am sure of that. I initially tried using only the downloaded (as I would do with other installers - you know, get the latest version) and it failed to even do the sweeps. Then I discovered that the CD has serial number files the installer requires. After I installed that version (in the same folder as the ARC files installed by the CD) it worked to the same point as the original CD install - sweeps and calcs, but alas, failed upload.

If, after the failed automatic run, I go into the manual option and select the setup file (that ARC created from the sweeps and calculations) and select "upload" from the top bar, I get the same result as when the automatic version runs - 30 seconds of waiting and then "processor not found."
The two files you may be referring to are the Cal file and .file
There is variation depending on the age of your ARC unit
The .cal file should have the serial number of your ARC microphone.
The other file may have your unit serial number and the microphone serial number

I would also check:

The virtual port must be assigned to COM1 through COM6 for installer to run. If installer can not locate preamp, go to Start Menu / Settings / Control Panel / System / Device Manager. Double-click on Ports, then double-click on the adapter. In Port Settings, if it shows COM7 or higher, change to an available port between COM1 and COM6.

If installer says "processor cannot be found", make sure the serial cable is a straight-wired (also known as extension cable - check the cable's package), and it is not null-modem, which looks identical.

RTS/CTS should be turned off in the RS-232 setup menu.

Alao set the speed at the slowest setting
post #43373 of 43379 Old 11-18-2014, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The two files you may be referring to are the Cal file and .file
There is variation depending on the age of your ARC unit
The .cal file should have the serial number of your ARC microphone.
The other file may have your unit serial number and the microphone serial number

I would also check:

The virtual port must be assigned to COM1 through COM6 for installer to run. If installer can not locate preamp, go to Start Menu / Settings / Control Panel / System / Device Manager. Double-click on Ports, then double-click on the adapter. In Port Settings, if it shows COM7 or higher, change to an available port between COM1 and COM6.

If installer says "processor cannot be found", make sure the serial cable is a straight-wired (also known as extension cable - check the cable's package), and it is not null-modem, which looks identical.

RTS/CTS should be turned off in the RS-232 setup menu.

Alao set the speed at the slowest setting

ht guy,
If Stew's suggestions don't help (and they are all valid concerns and good suggestions) try running just one ARC program on your computer. You will need to copy the 2 files that came with the ARC cd --- the files with the serial #'s of your processor and mic--- to the latest version of ARC that you downloaded from the Anthem website. Then just keep the downloaded ARC and delete the other one.

Also go to the Tripp-Lite website and make sure you have downloaded the latest driver for the serial/usb adapter. Since you are you using a Mac with VM firmware I would think you should download the win7 driver. I know Bob P runs an apple with Bootcamp, and he can verify which driver to download to get things running correctly.

Anthem tech help is available thru their website by email or phone help also. They may have run for you.into this problem before and have a fix

It does not make sense that you can run ARC, but not upload the correction, but its probably something simple. Keep trying til you get it to work. ARC is wonderful and I think you will find the effort needed to get it to download correctly will be rewarded with the results ARC produces in your system.

Tom

post #43374 of 43379 Old 11-18-2014, 07:06 PM

What I don't use in my Anthem D2:
-No Composite-Video In or Out
-No S-Video In or Out
-No Component-Video In or Out
-No Analog Audio out
-No RCA Main Audio Out (I use XLR outputs)

What I would like more of:
-XLR inputs
-More HDMI inputs (the D2v has this)

When you look at the back of the D2 or D2V, without those analog input/outputs it looks as if the processor could be about half its current size. We are paying for a lot of stuff that we no longer use and probably never plan to use again.
post #43375 of 43379 Old 11-19-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
I just set SACD output to be DSD in the Oppo 105 menu. I hadn't tried that before. I'm impressed with the sound. Of course, speaker management is disabled, but I don't notice a hole even though I have no center channel, and the KEF 107/2s don't need to be supplemented by subs for music. If the analog-DSP provision really is transparent, I think I'll take analog DSD surround from the 105 to the D2. Of course, HDMI will be connected for Blu-ray, so I can compare the two connection schemes. I'm eager to try the Anthem ARC for 4.2 (or 6.2 if the D2 can do it).

Thanks guys,
db
dbphd,
Did you try it with ARC yet? What road did you decide to take?
post #43376 of 43379 Old 11-19-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
dbphd,
Did you try it with ARC yet? What road did you decide to take?
I appreciate all the help I've received on this thread, but it occurred to me that the Cary Cinema 11a I had before the Parasound JC-2 BP did accept DSD via HDMI, although I didn't use it. So I bought one to try, even though its HDMI handshakes may be buggy. The 11a has an elaborate setup menu so I'll use that for speaker management and let the Oppo send bitstream. The Cary's claim to fame was its excellent sound quality.

With the help of Dan Wemmer of Cary and Richard Schram of Parasound, I've come up with the following setup plan: Oppo and Sony HDMI to the Cary, stereo from the Cary through the JC-2 BP to the amps, surround from the Cary directly to amps, SW to Velodyne SMS-1 bass manager. Analog stereo from the Oppo and Sony will continue to go to the JC-2 BP.

For now, the only acoustic room correction will be that provided by the SMS-1 for the subs.

db

post #43377 of 43379 Old 11-19-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
ht guy,
If Stew's suggestions don't help (and they are all valid concerns and good suggestions) try running just one ARC program on your computer. You will need to copy the 2 files that came with the ARC cd --- the files with the serial #'s of your processor and mic--- to the latest version of ARC that you downloaded from the Anthem website. Then just keep the downloaded ARC and delete the other one.

Also go to the Tripp-Lite website and make sure you have downloaded the latest driver for the serial/usb adapter. Since you are you using a Mac with VM firmware I would think you should download the win7 driver. I know Bob P runs an apple with Bootcamp, and he can verify which driver to download to get things running correctly.

Anthem tech help is available thru their website by email or phone help also. They may have run for you.into this problem before and have a fix

It does not make sense that you can run ARC, but not upload the correction, but its probably something simple. Keep trying til you get it to work. ARC is wonderful and I think you will find the effort needed to get it to download correctly will be rewarded with the results ARC produces in your system.

Tom
Tom,

Thanks much to you and theStewman.

I will def be working on the setup this weekend and will report back.

Have also contacted Anthem CS. They have indicated bootcamp may be necessary vs. running vmware. My only question is - If so, why can I sweep and save profiles? Maybe the answer is VMware handles the USB mic ok but as it's not native, can't handle the USB/serial adapter/serial connection? Regardless, I'm going to borrow a laptop with bootcamp (and, if necessary, an actual PC, yii!)

But long before I get to that, I am going to follow the excellent advice I've received and will report back.
thestewman likes this.
post #43378 of 43379 Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a line on a AVM50v3D(NIB) for $3k CDN(no receipt). Would that be a fair price? Also what would the Anthem offer me over a Denon AVR A100 that I am currently using as a pre/pro with my MCA 50

Last edited by Kevin. W; Yesterday at 09:16 PM.
post #43379 of 43379 Old Today, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin. W View Post
I have a line on a AVM50v3D(NIB) for $3k CDN(no receipt). Would that be a fair price? Also what would the Anthem offer me over a Denon AVR A100 that I am currently using as a pre/pro with my MCA 50

Great deal. You will have a cure for your upgraditis, plus hopefully ARC (make sure you get a microphone and CD with matching serial number). First thing you will notice is clearer dialog and a more robust sound, even without ARC.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page