Forum Jump: 
 22Likes
post #43381 of 43406 Unread 11-21-2014, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My new (second hand) D2 with ARC is coming tomorrow. From reading this it appears I use the CD that comes with the ARC kit? There is also reference to downloading the latest ARC software but I don't see anything listed for ARC software under the D2:

http://www.anthemav.com/support/latest-software.php

As this thread is very long, can someone point me in the right direction as to the proper steps to get me going please? I will be running it out a Windows 7 PC 64bit. Does the kit come with a cable, do I need to buy one if so does anyone have a link to the correct type?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43382 of 43406 Unread 11-22-2014, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
My new (second hand) D2 with ARC is coming tomorrow. From reading this it appears I use the CD that comes with the ARC kit? There is also reference to downloading the latest ARC software but I don't see anything listed for ARC software under the D2:

As this thread is very long, can someone point me in the right direction as to the proper steps to get me going please? I will be running it out a Windows 7 PC 64bit. Does the kit come with a cable, do I need to buy one if so does anyone have a link to the correct type?

Thanks in advance
Start with PAGE 1 of this Thread - all the steps are there
post #43383 of 43406 Unread 11-22-2014, 06:24 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 957
ARC v3.0.2 as found in Anthem's downloads for the D2v is also what's used for the D2. Do not install ARC from the original D2 ARC install disc. Instead install the v3.0.2 version.

To do that, download and unzip that version. Dive into the resulting folder to find the Setup.Exe program -- the installer itself. Load your original ARC install CD. If that automatically launches its installer simply Quit out of that. Dive into the loaded CD to find the Setup.Exe program in it. In that same location you will find two files with names made up of numbers. The numbers are the serial number of your D2 and the serial number of your ARC mic. Check that these numbers match the actual serial numbers. If not, call Anthem tech support and they can email you the correct two files. These files are your ARC license and the mic calibration data for your specific ARC mic.

Copy the correct two files, both of them, from the ARC CD into the folder where you found Setup.Exe in the downloaded version.

Now eject the ARC CD. Save it in case you ever need to copy those two files in the future.

Run Setup.exe from the v3.0.2 downloaded version. It will install ARC and copy those two files where they need to go as part of that.
--Bob
AVfile likes this.

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 11-22-2014 at 06:25 AM.
post #43384 of 43406 Unread 11-22-2014, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

^^^^ thank you Bob!
post #43385 of 43406 Unread 11-22-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post

Thanks in advance
If not included with your purchase you will need a Keyspan USB Serial Adapter
model USA-19HS made by Tripplite
There should be a RS232 cable with the ARC kit
post #43386 of 43406 Unread 11-22-2014, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

^ Thank you guys for saving me a bunch of time searching
post #43387 of 43406 Unread 11-23-2014, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ht guy View Post
Tom,

Thanks much to you and theStewman.

I will def be working on the setup this weekend and will report back.

Have also contacted Anthem CS. They have indicated bootcamp may be necessary vs. running vmware. My only question is - If so, why can I sweep and save profiles? Maybe the answer is VMware handles the USB mic ok but as it's not native, can't handle the USB/serial adapter/serial connection? Regardless, I'm going to borrow a laptop with bootcamp (and, if necessary, an actual PC, yii!)

But long before I get to that, I am going to follow the excellent advice I've received and will report back.
...and the report is...

SUCCESS!

The difference was bootcamp.

Now I see what all the fuss is about. Best my system has ever sounded. Thank-you Anthem! (big upgrade from my very good Yamaha) And thank-you AVS users!

As an aside, I previously had my turntable hooked up via the CD input, but it shows "N/A" for EQ(?,) so I switched it to the TAPE input.
post #43388 of 43406 Unread 11-23-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
ht guy,
If Stew's suggestions don't help (and they are all valid concerns and good suggestions) try running just one ARC program on your computer. You will need to copy the 2 files that came with the ARC cd --- the files with the serial #'s of your processor and mic--- to the latest version of ARC that you downloaded from the Anthem website. Then just keep the downloaded ARC and delete the other one.

Also go to the Tripp-Lite website and make sure you have downloaded the latest driver for the serial/usb adapter. Since you are you using a Mac with VM firmware I would think you should download the win7 driver. I know Bob P runs an apple with Bootcamp, and he can verify which driver to download to get things running correctly.

Anthem tech help is available thru their website by email or phone help also. They may have run for you.into this problem before and have a fix

It does not make sense that you can run ARC, but not upload the correction, but its probably something simple. Keep trying til you get it to work. ARC is wonderful and I think you will find the effort needed to get it to download correctly will be rewarded with the results ARC produces in your system.

Tom
...and Tom, you are 100% correct. I have been rewarded.

Wow. What a difference!
post #43389 of 43406 Unread 11-23-2014, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Hi everyone
I have another problem with the AVM50v 3d. I was watching football on directv and was switching between two channels. Both games are in 5.1 pl IIx but as I was going back and forth games the front panel was swiching to 2 PL IIx. Is this something common for tv channels? This happened while watching the actual games

Also occasionally the "on the fly" trim levels changed but then changed back to their proper setting. (they were delayed)

Please comment as I really like this unit

Rob
post #43390 of 43406 Unread 11-23-2014, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
...and Tom, you are 100% correct. I have been rewarded.

Wow. What a difference!

Please post your ARC charts and targets page. Members here may be able to help you get it sounding even better. And list your speaker setup (# of speakers and subs, etc.).

Tom

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #43391 of 43406 Unread 11-23-2014, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDec View Post
Hi everyone
I have another problem with the AVM50v 3d. I was watching football on directv and was switching between two channels. Both games are in 5.1 pl IIx but as I was going back and forth games the front panel was swiching to 2 PL IIx. Is this something common for tv channels? This happened while watching the actual games

Also occasionally the "on the fly" trim levels changed but then changed back to their proper setting. (they were delayed)

Please comment as I really like this unit

Rob

I have had this happen many times with my AVM50 and a Motorola cable box. I cure it by switching to a different source (ie: DVD), then back to the TV source. The other source device does not have to be on. I'll leave it to the more technically astute to explain why (I assume that it is a HDMI handshake issue). Not elegant, but it does work.

Glenn
post #43392 of 43406 Unread 11-23-2014, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Thanks for the quick fix Glenn!
I think I solved the other issue too (about trim levels changing) They don't go to their proper settings if I access them just after I switched to that audio format.. Thus far the solution is to wait a few more seconds. Curious if anyone else had these issues?

Rob
post #43393 of 43406 Unread 11-23-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
...and the report is...

SUCCESS!

The difference was bootcamp.

Now I see what all the fuss is about. Best my system has ever sounded. Thank-you Anthem! (big upgrade from my very good Yamaha) And thank-you AVS users!

As an aside, I previously had my turntable hooked up via the CD input, but it shows "N/A" for EQ(?,) so I switched it to the TAPE input.
In many instances since the turntable is 2 channel analog input users will set the source as analog direct for an attempt at purity of the analog signal. This makes EQ N/A. Myabe this is why EQ wa N/A.
If you have the availability try setting up multiple sources at the CD input. You can name them Phono 1,Phono 2 etc.
Then set one as Analog Direct, one as Analog Dig, and one as Analog Dig multi channel. The you can listen and decide which you prefer. You might even want to go into ARC and reconfigure the speakers for Music as only having the Right and Left front. Then use that ARC config for listening to phono music.
We call this "Fun and Games with Anthem "

Last edited by thestewman; 11-23-2014 at 07:24 PM.
post #43394 of 43406 Unread 11-24-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin. W View Post
think Anthem will update it to support Atoms through a new board or software
It's unlikely, Atmos basically requires an entirely new platform since it requires more output channels than the current platform supports, at least two more.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #43395 of 43406 Unread 11-24-2014, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Anthem pre-pro's do not have dedicated 'phono' inputs. Unless your turntable has a built in pre-amp, you will need to add a phono pre-amp between your turntable and the D2.

Since a turntable is an analog source you will need to go into the D2 menu and set up the phono in the ANALOG INPUT LEVEL section and adjust the level for the input that the turntable/phono pre-amp is connected to.

Tom
thestewman likes this.

Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #43396 of 43406 Unread 11-24-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
Anthem pre-pro's do not have dedicated 'phono' inputs. Unless your turntable has a built in pre-amp, you will need to add a phono pre-amp between your turntable and the D2.

Since a turntable is an analog source you will need to go into the D2 menu and set up the phono in the ANALOG INPUT LEVEL section and adjust the level for the input that the turntable/phono pre-amp is connected to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEzOVL97Lfc
Tom
Thanks Tom. Understood. Previously obtained a pre-amp and had it hooked up to the CD input. My issue was my lack of understanding about selecting the proper source for the CD input. Got that now. Thanks!
post #43397 of 43406 Unread 11-24-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
In many instances since the turntable is 2 channel analog input users will set the source as analog direct for an attempt at purity of the analog signal. This makes EQ N/A. Myabe this is why EQ wa N/A.
If you have the availability try setting up multiple sources at the CD input. You can name them Phono 1,Phono 2 etc.
Then set one as Analog Direct, one as Analog Dig, and one as Analog Dig multi channel. The you can listen and decide which you prefer. You might even want to go into ARC and reconfigure the speakers for Music as only having the Right and Left front. Then use that ARC config for listening to phono music.
We call this "Fun and Games with Anthem "
Excellent. Got it.

Thanks!
post #43398 of 43406 Unread 11-25-2014, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks Tom. Understood. Previously obtained a pre-amp and had it hooked up to the CD input. My issue was my lack of understanding about selecting the proper source for the CD input. Got that now. Thanks!

I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but please make sure to adjust the ANALOG INPUT LEVELS in the D2's setup menu for the input you have chosen for your turntable. This is an important step when connecting any equipment by analog RCA or XLR cables. The input level for your turntable may be OK without adjustment, but if its too hot it may make your phono sound harsh. My Ayre cd , which is connected via XLR, needs to be attenuated to -13 dB in the ANALOG INPUT LEVELS to get to the right level in the Anthem setup. It seems to do more than just volume matching.
You do not need to worry about digital connections like HDMI, toslink or coax.

Tom

post #43399 of 43406 Unread 11-25-2014, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
D2 3D pass through?

Hi all
Been a while since I posted. I'm thinks about upgrading my projector to 3D. How would my D2 handle the video? Can it pass the 3D video or do I have to make other arrangements.

FREAK!

3X SUPERBOWL CHAMPION PATRIOTS!
post #43400 of 43406 Unread 11-26-2014, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicafreak View Post
Hi all

Been a while since I posted. I'm thinks about upgrading my projector to 3D. How would my D2 handle the video? Can it pass the 3D video or do I have to make other arrangements.

FREAK!

The D2 can't. At a minimum you would need a Blu-Ray player with dual HDMI outputs to split the audio (to the D2) and video (directly to the PJ).

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #43401 of 43406 Unread 11-26-2014, 07:38 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ To do 3D video pass-through you would need a D2v / 3D, i.e., a D2v (not a D2) with the 3D hardware upgrade.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #43402 of 43406 Unread 11-26-2014, 01:24 PM

Liked: 0
Desparately hoping I can get some help!

I have an Anthem D2 which has been doing well for for years. Suddenly it appears that I am having a problem with HDMI inputs. HiDef cable box (HDMI 1) gets video feed but no sound. BluRay player (HDMI 2) cant get past initial loading. First thought it was the cable box which was replaced with new unit --> same problem. Tried swapping cable bow HDMI from 1 to 4, without any change (video but no sound). Tried a new HDMI cable --> no change.

I have done a hard reset (unplugged Anthem unit), checked to make sure the settings for components did not somehow get changed, etc. Any other ideas?

The unit cost me a bundle, and the place I purchased locally isn't even in business anymore. Wondered if there is a know issue with the HDMI input. Any help is greatly appreciated.
post #43403 of 43406 Unread 11-26-2014, 05:59 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ I'm assuming you know what you are doing, since you've had the D2 for so long. Obviously there are settings mistakes that could cause this, and I'm assuming you've checked to make sure, e.g., the Setup > Source Setup you are using actually specifies HDMI Digital as the source of its audio. If you've not checked this, then that's the place to start. It is quite easy to screw things up. For example, if you changed the Source Setup to use Component Video as an experiment, that has the side effect of SWITCHING THE AUDIO AS WELL since obviously you can't have HDMI audio coming in on Component Video.

Similarly, try running HDMI from the cable box direct to an HDMI TV to make sure you haven't somehow altered the settings in the HDMI cable box to disable HDMI Audio output altogether.

So ignoring settings mistakes, that leaves settings corruption, firmware corruption, or a hardware failure.

Jot down your settings, then do a Reload Factory Defaults on the D2. Make only the minimum necessary setting changes to test if the problem still exists.

If it does, Reload Factory Defaults again, then re-install the v1.33 firmware in the D2. Once again, make the minimum necessary settings changes to see if the problem still exists.

If you've still got a problem, call Anthem Tech Support and they can help you diagnose this further.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #43404 of 43406 Unread Yesterday, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ I'm assuming you know what you are doing, since you've had the D2 for so long. Obviously there are settings mistakes that could cause this, and I'm assuming you've checked to make sure, e.g., the Setup > Source Setup you are using actually specifies HDMI Digital as the source of its audio. If you've not checked this, then that's the place to start. It is quite easy to screw things up. For example, if you changed the Source Setup to use Component Video as an experiment, that has the side effect of SWITCHING THE AUDIO AS WELL since obviously you can't have HDMI audio coming in on Component Video.

Similarly, try running HDMI from the cable box direct to an HDMI TV to make sure you haven't somehow altered the settings in the HDMI cable box to disable HDMI Audio output altogether.

So ignoring settings mistakes, that leaves settings corruption, firmware corruption, or a hardware failure.

Jot down your settings, then do a Reload Factory Defaults on the D2. Make only the minimum necessary setting changes to test if the problem still exists.

If it does, Reload Factory Defaults again, then re-install the v1.33 firmware in the D2. Once again, make the minimum necessary settings changes to see if the problem still exists.

If you've still got a problem, call Anthem Tech Support and they can help you diagnose this further.
--Bob
One note of precaution
*********Before you reload the factory Settings make sure you save the User Settings first**********
post #43405 of 43406 Unread Yesterday, 06:52 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

--Bob
Thanks Bob.

Unfortunately I didn't tweak the Anthem at all, but swapped out a Time Warner cable box that was malfunctioning. Coincident with this was non-function of my BluRay player (seems like there is no handshake between unit and Anthem). When I got yet another cable box and had same problem I realized my problem lied on the Anthem side. Seems weird to me that I get HDMI video feed but no audio. Probably an explanation for that somewhere, but I dont know it!

I have gone into menus and checked settings - all looks good. I took an optical cable and ran digital audio from cable box to Anthem then reassigned setting to reflect digital optical in - and now I have some sound.

Im guessing Ill need to do the firmware reset. Is there a link to information on how to do this? I am running virgin firmware at the moment and havent done this before.

Thanks for your help.
post #43406 of 43406 Unread Today, 11:54 AM

seriously considering anthem for my new front end...I need to read up on this thread!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers