Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 1450 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #43471 of 43481 Old 12-15-2014, 07:16 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I do believe My partner and i may possibly have got asked this inside a different type, but will be the analog audio section of the D2 various coming from which of a D2v? I could send lossless codecs processed by my 105 because LPCM to a D2 by means of HDMI. Any kind of comparison of the analogue seem from a D2 together with that from the 105 or Sony XA5400ES would be appreciated. Presently, stereo coming from my personal Oppo as well as Sony tend to be connected to my own Parasound JC-2 BP analog preamp, surround from your Oppo goes straight towards the amps. The Sony can easily just do surround via HDMI, therefore that used with regard to stereo just. Obviously, My partner and i can search for a good utilized D2v or abandon the particular setup as it will be without an Anthem. Maybe right now there just isn't any role for your Sony given that the actual Ayre will be carrying out stereo.
AbleArch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #43472 of 43481 Old 12-15-2014, 07:58 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,032
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoff View Post
I finally had a chance to run the tests suggested by Bob.

I set up the Oppo to output DSD audio on SACD sources. Then I listened to an SACD as follows: D2 fed via HDMI with ARC (anthem-music, this is Bob's choice #1 ); D2 fed via Analog with ARC (anthem-music, this is choice #3 in Bob's post and includes re-digitation); D2 fed analog-direct with no ARC (a 2 channel set up).

The best sound came from the Analog-Direct, 2-channel with no processing. The second best was the re-digitized analog set up (Bob's choice #3 ). Last came the mode using HDMI in which the music felt shallow compared to the deeper sound of the other two analog-fed modes.

So my conclusion is that it is best to listen to the DSD analog outputs of the Oppo when listening to SACDs even if I plan to use ARC (which requires re-digitizing).
A suggestion: For the best comparison of the processed, Stereo Analog (and HDMI) choices here you should set the Audio Surround mode in the D2 to STEREO, not to Anthem Logic - Music. That will produce sound on the Left Front / Right Front and Subwoofer only. Press Mode and use the Arrow keys to cycle through the choices -- or set Stereo as the default choice for 2 channel input in Setup > Mode Presets for that Source line.

I.e., engage ARC processing but do NOT also engage Anthem Logic - Music surround sound processing (which converts Stereo input to more speakers output).

For the processed Analog case (Stereo Analog input re-digitized so as to allow ARC processing), also be sure to check your setting for how the D2 does that re-digitizing. See Section 3.9 of the Manual. By default, the D2 re-digitizes Stereo Analog input at 44.1KHz. Raise that to 96KHz. This is particularly important when the Source material is recorded at a higher sample rate to begin with -- as with SACD. (The Multi-channel Analog input already re-digitizes at 96KHz by default.)
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #43473 of 43481 Old 12-15-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thestewman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NW Chicago
Posts: 1,635
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoff View Post
I finally had a chance to run the tests suggested by Bob.

I set up the Oppo to output DSD audio on SACD sources. Then I listened to an SACD as follows: D2 fed via HDMI with ARC (anthem-music, this is Bob's choice #1 ); D2 fed via Analog with ARC (anthem-music, this is choice #3 in Bob's post and includes re-digitation); D2 fed analog-direct with no ARC (a 2 channel set up).

The best sound came from the Analog-Direct, 2-channel with no processing. The second best was the re-digitized analog set up (Bob's choice #3 ). Last came the mode using HDMI in which the music felt shallow compared to the deeper sound of the other two analog-fed modes.

So my conclusion is that it is best to listen to the DSD analog outputs of the Oppo when listening to SACDs even if I plan to use ARC (which requires re-digitizing).
Thank you for reporting your testing. I have been espousing this for a long time and now another forum member has confirmed what I hear. Though this does not hold true for videos played on a home theater.In that case HDMI to the Anthem with multichannel DTS HD Master or Dolby True HD lossless formats using ARC are the best formats.
thestewman is offline  
post #43474 of 43481 Old 12-15-2014, 07:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Nicoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
A suggestion: For the best comparison of the processed, Stereo Analog (and HDMI) choices here you should set the Audio Surround mode in the D2 to STEREO, not to Anthem Logic - Music. That will produce sound on the Left Front / Right Front and Subwoofer only. Press Mode and use the Arrow keys to cycle through the choices -- or set Stereo as the default choice for 2 channel input in Setup > Mode Presets for that Source line.

I.e., engage ARC processing but do NOT also engage Anthem Logic - Music surround sound processing (which converts Stereo input to more speakers output).

For the processed Analog case (Stereo Analog input re-digitized so as to allow ARC processing), also be sure to check your setting for how the D2 does that re-digitizing. See Section 3.9 of the Manual. By default, the D2 re-digitizes Stereo Analog input at 44.1KHz. Raise that to 96KHz. This is particularly important when the Source material is recorded at a higher sample rate to begin with -- as with SACD. (The Multi-channel Analog input already re-digitizes at 96KHz by default.)
--Bob
Thanks Bob! Following up on your suggestions, I have confirmed that the D2 was already set to process all 2.0 signals at 96 kHz.

I listened to an SACD (DSD) orchestral recording using the following four settings:

A) PCM Stereo (HDMI input, Stereo 2.1 channels output)

B) 2-channel Analog Direct (Analog-Direct input, Stereo 2.0 channels output, no ARC)

C) 2.1 channel from Analog source (AnlDSP input, Stereo 2.1 channels output, ARC Processing of analog 2-channel signal coming from Oppo 105D), and, just to relate to my previous listening test,

D) 4.1 channel derived from analog source (AnlDSP input, 4.1 channels output, AnthemLogic-Music mode, ARC Processing of analog 2-channel signal coming from Oppo 105D).

Here is how I ranked them:

1st. 2-Channel Analog Direct, no processing. The sound was much more engaging and musical than any of the other settings.

2nd 4.1 Channel Analog (AnthemLogic-Music, AnlDSP coming from Oppo 105D’s 2-channel analog). This setting was closer to the 2-channel set up than any of the others.

3rd 2.1 channel Analog (Stereo 2.1 channels, AnlDSP, coming from Oppo 105D’s 2-channel analog).

4th PCM Stereo (Stereo 2.1 channels, HDMI input). This setting lacked bass, not a deep or wide soundstage, in fact, the music was not very engaging.

My conclusions from this test are the following:
· The analog output from DSD sources provides better sound than digital PCM even though the analog DSD requires reconverting to digital (i.e., double processing).
· The quality of the DACs in the Oppo is superior to those in the D2. That should be expected though, because the DACs in the D2 are already aging technology, meanwhile, the Oppo uses some of the best DAC technology of today.
· ARC is doing its job, but it cannot make up for the aging DAC technology inside the D2. The 4.1 AnthemLogic-Music mode sounded better and fuller than the 2.1 Stereo when using the same analog source. With 2 extra speakers to work with, ARC is able to do a better job.

I love my D2, but it is obvious that it has not kept up with the times. The D2V is also an old by A/V processor by the standards of the times. I am still hoping that Anthem has a strong replacement of their flagship unit coming VERY soon (hint: a good showing at CES this January for example). Hope is the last thing that dies…
Nicoff is online now  
post #43475 of 43481 Old Yesterday, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AVfile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 2,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide

I don't think the DACs are entirely to blame. The D2v and 50v have better digital input clocking circuits, and they sound quite a bit better. I believe final DAC stage is the same as their earlier versions (50v lacks up-sampling).

With your 2nd favourite choice, the DACs are in use but not the digital input.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
AVfile is online now  
post #43476 of 43481 Unread Yesterday, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dmusoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 2,458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Is there a pre-pro out there that would be an excellent or even superior alternative to the D2v in sound and video?

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
dmusoke is offline  
post #43477 of 43481 Unread Yesterday, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thestewman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NW Chicago
Posts: 1,635
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
Is there a pre-pro out there that would be an excellent or even superior alternative to the D2v in sound and video?
Almost a dead area for manufacturers I believe.
The closet thing out there would be an OPPO 105D except it does not have multi port HDMI switching or 4K.
There are some really high end pre pros but they lack also 4k and 3D such as Datasat and McIntosh
thestewman is offline  
post #43478 of 43481 Unread Yesterday, 08:46 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,032
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
^ "Two" is still, technically, "multi".

The main disadvantage of the OPPO 105D as a pre-pro is that neither of those two HDMI inputs can accept 3D (or 4K), or Bitstreams for Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA, or DSD. Of course you can play shiny discs or play media files on an attached drive -- or over your house network.

So you have to deprecate HDMI input as the fundamental -- must do "everything" -- input.

Wait, maybe that's a GOOD THING!
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; Yesterday at 08:48 PM.
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #43479 of 43481 Unread Yesterday, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AVfile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 2,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
Is there a pre-pro out there that would be an excellent or even superior alternative to the D2v in sound and video?

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/proce...or-review.html

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
AVfile is online now  
post #43480 of 43481 Unread Today, 07:49 AM
Senior Member
 
p.las's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
digital or analog tone control

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.las View Post
When using the tonecontrol on the Remote . Is there a a/d converting in the chain then?
My unit is a avm50v
anybody?

its the kontrol on the remote or/and the front panel digital or analog ?

Peter
Denmark
p.las is online now  
post #43481 of 43481 Unread Today, 08:37 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,032
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
^ All audio processing other than Volume is done in the digital domain. So yes, no Tone control if you are using Analog-Direct to avoid re-digitizing an Analog input.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off