29Likes

Old Today, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
I suspect you just got a partial update on the front panel display - i.e., it was trying to display 1080i and put up the wrong thing. Confusing, but harmless if you actually got audio and video. If you did NOT get audio and video, then you had an instance of HDMI handshake failure. The first thing to check in such cases is the HDMI cabling.

Dolby TrueHD Bitstreams do come in 2.0 (i.e., Stereo: Left Front / Right Front and no LFE content). So a report of Dolby HD 2.0 could be real.
--Bob
Thanks again Bob
From what I understand is the Oppo103d and AVM50v both support Dolby hd 2.0. or the AVM50v doesn't support Dolby HD 2.0 but as a result of the partial update it just displays it on the front panel.

Can anyone verify another problem? I have noticed especially with pro football that my sound format will change to DPLIIx when it should be 5.1 I was told that it is a handshake issue. And a gentleman by Glenn gave me a quick fix, which was to go into a different input then reenter directv. That does solve it. Or I learned to go into menu on directv and reenter Dolby digital under audio. but my question is "Is this a handshake issue?"

it seems when I enter things multiple times I run into problems. i.e. Anthem O.S.D, guide on directv, on and off. It seems that way and I hope it isn't a defective unit.

Have a Happy New Years

Rob

Thanks again Rob

Last edited by RobDec; Today at 02:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDec View Post
Thanks Stew
When the resolution changed to 720i I was using CD and watching Directv. I apologise for not mentioning that. But there is no such thing as 720i.
My bluray player is an Oppo 103d and I believe it does not have Dolby HD2.0. So how could it be sending Dolby HD 2.0 when there is no such thing?
I really do appreciate your input and thanks again!
Rob
Do I interpret you saying "using CD and watching Direct TV "as you have Direct TV on a CD input source ?

There is a reason for the 720i video and DD 2.0 audio and it is problematic with RF transmission both on the broadcasters end and in your case with Direct TV your receiving end.

Sporting events are notorious for switching from stereo to 2.0 channel especially NFL and MLB.
So, I use PL II. It derives/synthesizes the two channel source into 5.1 or in my case 7.1.
You will never notice when the signal goes back and forth between 2.0 and 5.

The 720i was probably RF interference somewhere in the transmission of the video signal and your Anthem was displaying what it had measured and received even if it was momentary and incorrect

Last edited by thestewman; Today at 06:08 PM.
Old Today, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
Do I interpret you saying "using CD and watching Direct TV "as you have Direct TV on a CD input source ?

There is a reason for the 720i video and DD 2.0 audio and it is problematic with RF transmission both on the broadcasters end and your receiving end.

Sporting events are notorious for switching from stereo to 2.o channel especially NFL and MLB..
The 720i was probably RF interference somewhere in the transmission of the video signal and your Anthem was displaying what it had measured and received even if it was momentary and incorrect
Yes
I watch Directv through the CD input. Thank you for explaining the 720i and Dolby hd2.0 issues.
And thanks for the NFL and MLb explanation. The interesting thing is I use the quick fixes that I mentioned above (Switching inputs on the Anthem or changing Dolby digital from off to on again in the Directv menu and it returned to 5.1. Which is why im concerned if its a handshake issue. also I noticed it does this on regular programs like "Two anda Half men"

Rob
Old Today, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes
I watch Directv through the CD input. Thank you for explaining the 720i and Dolby hd2.0 issues.
And thanks for the NFL and MLb explanation. The interesting thing is I use the quick fixes that I mentioned above (Switching inputs on the Anthem or changing Dolby digital from off to on again in the Directv menu and it returned to 5.1. Which is why im concerned if its a handshake issue. also I noticed it does this on regular programs like "Two anda Half men"

Rob
As Bob explained if it were a handshake problem you would not be getting an acceptable video signal nor a clear audio signal.
Your quick fixes are just covering over the fact that the problem you are or were experiencing is short in nature and would have cleared shortly by itself.
Switching back and forth between sources does solve some handshake problems by the way
just not in your case
Old Today, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes

Rob
Same broadcaster problem not your Anthem
Use PLII or PLIIx.
You will never notice when the broadcaster changes the signal between 2.0 and 5.1.
Old Today, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
Same broadcaster problem not your Anthem
Use PLII or PLIIx.
You will never notice when the broadcaster changes the signal between 2.0 and 5.1.
Yes
I do use 2.0 + PLIIx and 5.1+ PLIIX and it switches between the two, but I am guessing its a broadcasting problem.
Thanks Rob

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers