Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 1457 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 48Likes
post #43681 of 43688 Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 1069
Stereo Mode still uses the Sub for steered bass.
--Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43682 of 43688 Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
Then my sub won't be engaged when the setup mode for music is stereo, or am I wrong?
Your sub will be active if the source is set to 'analog dsp' and ARC is enabled. In 'source set-up'-- For that music source set 'audio in' (g) to 'analog dsp'. (m) turn ARC on.
Tom

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #43683 of 43688 Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
You need to press MODE then use the arrow keys to scroll through the choices. You will have more choices if you have > 5 speakers, but there should always be some choices.
I tried pressing mode , then arrow keys, no change?
post #43684 of 43688 Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 1069
^ The available Modes are determined by the content you are playing and the number of speakers you have configured.

Press the Select button on the remote several times and note the display that shows the speaker channels coming in on the content you are playing.

If your Dolby Digital input is 5.1, and you have 5.1 speakers configured, there's no work for the Surround Sound Modes to do, so none are offered. (You can still choose to add THX post processing or not with the THX button.)

If you have 7.1 speakers configured, that same 5.1 input will now offer several Mode choices -- i.e., different ways to expand that into 7.1 speakers output.

If you play stereo input, you'll have even more Mode choices available to expand that into 5.1 or 7.1 speakers output.

So what were you playing as input and what were you trying to achieve as output?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #43685 of 43688 Unread Today, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Exactly, TV material is so center channel centric that my mains fall silent and at times, they power down because they receive no signal. This often happens when I watch hour long PBS news broadcasts with no commercials.

I really like the ambience effect and like you said, its the main reason I wanted to see if I can duplicate it if I route all program material from the center channel to the main speakers. I re-upload the 4.1 configuration last night before I went to sleep so I'll test it this week to see if it works well.

Tom:
For my music setup, I have ARC set up as a 2.1 for stereo sources, so I can't have both 5.1 and 4.1 configurations in ARC, as it doesn't have a third configuration. But thanks for the great suggestions...
Quote:
Then my sub won't be engaged when the setup mode for music is stereo, or am I wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Stereo Mode still uses the Sub for steered bass.
--Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
Your sub will be active if the source is set to 'analog dsp' and ARC is enabled. In 'source set-up'-- For that music source set 'audio in' (g) to 'analog dsp'. (m) turn ARC on.
Tom
Guys

I hate to be the contrarian but why would you care about low rez audio for hour long PBS News broadcasts ?
There is no need for sub output and probably no sub signal exists and the audio is probably 384mhz or less.
The PBS network news when I checked on my cable system was mainly a mono signal

I also question the source hookup if it is dropping the signal so you might tell us how you are feeding the PBS news network to the Anthem.
post #43686 of 43688 Unread Today, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Stew:

The original intent was not to engage sub output when watching low-res PBS newscasts as you've stated. My goal was to try eliminating the center channel since its so predominant in TV material for both news and music shows leaving sometimes causing my L/R speakers to power down. I have a 5.1 DD cable feed into the Anthem.

Hence the suggestion I came up with to try a 4.1 setup (without center channel activated) and that's when I asked if I need to re-ARC or not. Bob P. told me to simply set it to 'n' and re-upload ARC. Others suggested other helpful tips as well hence the back and forth you observed.

As you've observed, having subs engaged for mono low-res material like newscasts is meaningless(even kind of silly I'd say). I'm giving the new 4.1 configuration a try the next few weeks (w/o center) and will make the final decision whether to keep it or revert to the original 5.1.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #43687 of 43688 Unread Today, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Stew:

The original intent was not to engage sub output when watching low-res PBS newscasts as you've stated. My goal was to try eliminating the center channel since its so predominant in TV material for both news and music shows leaving sometimes causing my L/R speakers to power down. I have a 5.1 DD cable feed into the Anthem.

Hence the suggestion I came up with to try a 4.1 setup (without center channel activated) and that's when I asked if I need to re-ARC or not. Bob P. told me to simply set it to 'n' and re-upload ARC. Others suggested other helpful tips as well hence the back and forth you observed.

As you've observed, having subs engaged for mono low-res material like newscasts is meaningless(even kind of silly I'd say). I'm giving the new 4.1 configuration a try the next few weeks (w/o center) and will make the final decision whether to keep it or revert to the original 5.1.
Don't get me wrong I was not criticizing your objective just questioning what would be the result.
I am and think you should be concerned the signal drops out to keep your amps powered up for the left and right front speakers. Something is not right there
I assume the DD 5.1 cable signal is over HDMI ?
Why not try listening to the PBS News broadcasts using the normal 5.1 source feed using all the speakers as a mono or Anthem Logic or All Channel just for the news broadcasts.
It definitely will give you ambience for a low rez source without using up your ARC setup choices
post #43688 of 43688 Unread Today, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Sorry for the miss-speak on my part. The power down is caused by my speakers and not the amps. They have this thing where if they don't get a large enough signal for about 10-15 minutes, they power down. All Martin-Logan electro-stats do that. Its part of the power-saving feature required for active components that are to be sold world-wide, especially the EU.

I would also implement your suggestion if it wasn't for the faulty encoding PBS does for its programming. The news broadcasts are encoded at DD5.1, yet when you check each speaker, only the center channel is active and others are silent. Its a farce that sours me greatly but they do that a lot. Even their music programs are encoded as DD5.1 but only the front mains (L/R) are really active. So I can't engaged other surround modes because according to Anthem, its receiving DD5.1 material(even though actual material isn't) so no way to engage other surround modes.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page