Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 1459 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes
post #43741 of 43765 Old 02-16-2015, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Surge protection is different from power conditioning. Protection makes sense, especially if you live in an area prone to spikes, lightening strikes, etc. Perhaps Anthem is referring to the vast number of audiophile power conditioners that can be had ....some for the price of a small car! I have tried several over the years, with no noticeable affect on sound quality. But I live in an area with clean, consistent power.
AVfile likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43742 of 43765 Old 02-16-2015, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 216
I don't see any such warning in the AVM50V manual (I do see it if I go back to the AVM20 manual).

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #43743 of 43765 Old 02-16-2015, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Thanks guys
Interesting info. If the processors come with surge protection, then that's good enough for me.
Rob
post #43744 of 43765 Old 02-16-2015, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I don't see any such warning in the AVM50V manual (I do see it if I go back to the AVM20 manual).
I remember Nick commenting on power conditioning.
Hopefully he will read our comments and state the companies position.
post #43745 of 43765 Old 02-16-2015, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDec View Post
Thanks guys
Interesting info. If the processors come with surge protection, then that's good enough for me.
Rob

What makes you think that they come with surge protection? I thought we were talking about the Furman not the Anthem.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #43746 of 43765 Old 02-16-2015, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
I remember Nick commenting on power conditioning.

Hopefully he will read our comments and state the companies position.

They used to advise against using power conditioners or line filters with their older, more esoteric Sonic Frontiers preamps and amps. It was simply not recommended for optimal performance, but using one would not do any physical damage.

In this thread I have seen Nick suggest (temporarily) eliminating any power conditioner as a debugging step for potential problems, when someone was experiencing strange behaviour with their Anthem. If one is not having issues then one could carry on using them.

- AVStefan

Last edited by AVfile; 02-16-2015 at 06:10 PM.
post #43747 of 43765 Old 02-16-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Power conditioners have not been recommended by Anthem. if you search this forum somewhere you will find a statement from Anthem stating not recommended.
I do know this is not the case with many owners.
Try it both ways and see if you hear or see any difference which would then make a case for the use of the Furman unit.
The unit has surge protection it does not have a built in UPS. In the case of a power failure the unit will turn off and not restart automatically
No reason not to try and then use a better power cord too

ifi phono should work without problems. Use it with the aux source and setup for stereo analog input
Quote:
Thanks thestewsman
I have a few more questions. I hope anyone can answer.
1) I have heard the AVMv/D2v does not work well with power conditioners. I have a Furman (spr 20i) power conditioner. That I would like to utilize. If not does the processors have a built in surge protector and black out protection?
2) I also have a Audioquest (NRG 2) that im not using and wonder if I can use with the processors?
30 Is the phono preamp "ifi iphono" compatable with the procerssors?
Thanks Rob
AVfile, Here are quotes from earlier (My quote is before thestewmans) If I have misread his post, or wrongly asked my question, please forgive me

Rob.
post #43748 of 43765 Old 02-16-2015, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
AVfile, Here are quotes from earlier (My quote is before thestewmans) If I have misread his post, or wrongly asked my question, please forgive me.

No sweat Rob. I think Stew was talking about the Furman here:

Quote:
... which would then make a case for the use of the Furman unit.

The unit has surge protection it does not have a built in UPS. In the case of a power failure the unit will turn off and not restart automatically
I would advise getting some form of surge protection on your system, if not the whole AC circuit for the room, or even the whole home! Depending how common surges are in your area you might need something more serious than what I have, professionally installed at the junction panel. Keep in mind some simple devices are sacrificial and would need replacing after being hit by a major power surge. There are many approaches as you can see here:

Surge Protectors ??? (Brickwall, Zero Surge, Furman, SurgeX, Etc.)

This can quickly get off topic so I encourage you to do some searches and read the appropriate forums. Let us know what you decide!

Stefan

- AVStefan
post #43749 of 43765 Old 02-16-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
No sweat Rob. I think Stew was talking about the Furman here:

I would advise getting some form of surge protection on your system, if not the whole AC circuit for the room, or even the whole home! Depending how common surges are in your area you might need something more serious than what I have, professionally installed at the junction panel. Keep in mind some simple devices are sacrificial and would need replacing after being hit by a major power surge. There are many approaches as you can see here:

Surge Protectors ??? (Brickwall, Zero Surge, Furman, SurgeX, Etc.)

This can quickly get off topic so I encourage you to do some searches and read the appropriate forums. Let us know what you decide!

Stefan
Thanks Stefan,
I do have a Furman spr-20i that I would like to utilize but heard it may damage the processor. If not ill be utilizing it with the Anthem.
Thanks again,

Rob
post #43750 of 43765 Old 02-16-2015, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Stefan,
I do have a Furman spr-20i that I would like to utilize but heard it may damage the processor. If not ill be utilizing it with the Anthem.
Thanks again,

Rob

Sorry I forgot you had mentioned you have a power conditioner (voltage regulator). It's probably overkill but, barring any catastrophic malfunction, won't hurt anything.

- AVStefan
post #43751 of 43765 Old 02-17-2015, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Welcome to the forum and the Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 thread

i am responding to some of your questions against my better judgement. Since you are a new member and maybe unfamiliar the forum is not a text messaging service or a Facebook social gathering place.
It is useful when a forum member needs information and advice for problems etc that are not found in the manuals or on support sites
It would help you significantly and maybe save you much time and energy if you would undertake some searching with Google or here in the forum in regards to some of your answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcobb22 View Post
Hi Bob. Are you available to have a quick phone conversation today? I'm trying to decide between picking up a late model D2 w/ a red video board & a late model D2v with the newer video board that is able to be upgraded to 3D for $500. I just need to go over what differences there are between the two. I know all the basic changes but you may point something out that I wasn't aware of. I'm thinking this would be no more than a 5 min conversation that I'd paypal you to have with me. Let me know how much is fair, thanks. Steve XXX-XXX-XXXX

The answer in great detail is available by checking right here on earlier entries in the forum

Quote:
Btw, can anyone advise on what the differences are between the Hdmi 1.1 standard & the 1.3c standards?
Differences between HDMI versions 1.1, 1.2, 1.3a, and 1.4a

Quote:
Does either unit process DSD downloads? I don't believe so but just figuered I'd ask. Whew
No. If this means you are interested in listening to hirez downloads of music etc and lossless audio for video then moving to the D2v would be beneficial since some of the features of the D2v is it processes up to 192kHz and decodes lossless Dolby and DTS audio formats

Hope the above answers help you make a decision.
And again, Welcome to the forum and the Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 thread
gcobb22 likes this.

Last edited by thestewman; 02-17-2015 at 08:49 AM.
post #43752 of 43765 Old 02-17-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry all. I thought I was sending that last post to Bob P. I apparently cannot pm anyone yet as I don't have enough posts.
Search this thread for "comparison chart" I just posted it a couple weeks ago.

There is no DSD decoding in any model (edit: stew beat me to it).

PS - there is a delete button if you want to edit your posts.

Last edited by AVfile; 02-17-2015 at 08:55 AM.
post #43753 of 43765 Old 02-20-2015, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks. I have an Anthem D2 which has started having some issues.

The video drops out periodically and stays out until the Anthem is rebooted. This happens on component and HDMI connections from the FIOS cable box (Motorola DVR or non-DVR both the same). Sound does not drop.

Curiously, an HDMI connection from a ROKU 3 to the D2 does NOT drop out nearly as much, taking over an hour. I'm not convinced it's heat-related, but it is possible.

I have also swapped the cable box, and have the same result. So the issue is with the Anthem, it seems

Input Output to TV Issue
HDMI HDMI video dropout
Component HDMI video dropout
Component component video dropout

Is this a symptom of a dying video board? This will be the second repair on this beast (the first for HDMI input ports).

Anything else to try before contacting Anthem?
Thanks.
post #43754 of 43765 Old 02-20-2015, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy999 View Post
Hi folks. I have an Anthem D2 which has started having some issues.

The video drops out periodically and stays out until the Anthem is rebooted. This happens on component and HDMI connections from the FIOS cable box (Motorola DVR or non-DVR both the same). Sound does not drop.

Curiously, an HDMI connection from a ROKU 3 to the D2 does NOT drop out nearly as much, taking over an hour. I'm not convinced it's heat-related, but it is possible.

I have also swapped the cable box, and have the same result. So the issue is with the Anthem, it seems

Input Output to TV Issue
HDMI HDMI video dropout
Component HDMI video dropout
Component component video dropout

Is this a symptom of a dying video board? This will be the second repair on this beast (the first for HDMI input ports).

Anything else to try before contacting Anthem?
Thanks.
Do you have the RED video/HDMI board ?

Have you tried a reboot by disconnecting the AC line and restarting ?
Or maybe shuffling or swapping the source inputs as a test. Say swap TV for CD etc
post #43755 of 43765 Old 02-20-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Do you have the RED video/HDMI board ?

Have you tried a reboot by disconnecting the AC line and restarting ?
Or maybe shuffling or swapping the source inputs as a test. Say swap TV for CD etc
I"m not sure about the color of the board. It'd be a PITA to take the unit out of the cabinet to see (plus remove all cables).
I've tried swapping inputs, and thought that was going to help, but the output drops no matter whether inputs are component or hdmi as I mentioned above.

I'll try to reboot. it'd be just great if it's just a little software issue. Just unplug it for a while and then restart?

This was in for service once before for a problematic HDMI input, I believe. When it came back, it had firmware 1.47f loaded and I was no longer able to load 1.33 (boot loader error, which others have had and Anthem claims requires a return to factory). So it's running 1.47f.

tx
post #43756 of 43765 Old 02-20-2015, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I"m not sure about the color of the board. It'd be a PITA to take the unit out of the cabinet to see (plus remove all cables).
I've tried swapping inputs, and thought that was going to help, but the output drops no matter whether inputs are component or hdmi as I mentioned above.

I'll try to reboot. it'd be just great if it's just a little software issue. Just unplug it for a while and then restart?

This was in for service once before for a problematic HDMI input, I believe. When it came back, it had firmware 1.47f loaded and I was no longer able to load 1.33 (boot loader error, which others have had and Anthem claims requires a return to factory). So it's running 1.47f.

tx
From your description of the install in such tight quarters it may be you are having a overheating problem.
Maybe try opening cabinet doors or a temp fan or other device to help cool the unit.

You can look down thru the slots in the cover and with small mirror and a flashlight see the board.

Disconnect or use the main switch to remove all AC. Wait a few minutes, maybe 10, and restart.

That is the correct firmware.

If none of this works a call to Anthem would be next

Last edited by thestewman; 02-20-2015 at 09:18 PM.
post #43757 of 43765 Old 02-21-2015, 05:17 AM

Quote:
From your description of the install in such tight quarters it may be you are having a overheating problem.
Maybe try opening cabinet doors or a temp fan or other device to help cool the unit.

You can look down thru the slots in the cover and with small mirror and a flashlight see the board.

Disconnect or use the main switch to remove all AC. Wait a few minutes, maybe 10, and restart.

That is the correct firmware.

If none of this works a call to Anthem would be next
I suppose heat is possible, but the problem is erratic. It can happen pretty quickly after turning on the system (5 minutes).

After the power reset failed to change things, I tried more cable/port combos and generally, it still cut out the video. BUT, the ROKU 3 ran continuously for nearly 2 hours with no drops. So I took the same HDMI cable from the ROKU and used it on the FIOS DVR box (same inputs, everything) and the image failed to display. I then returned that cable to the ROKU and the image displayed, then dropped immediately. I don't get it.

The Anthem is in a 3-bay Salamander cabinet which is open to the left (center bay/center speaker) and rear and has a mesh door on the front. It's on the upper shelf. Below it is a Rotel RMB-1095, but that has fins on the front, next to the mesh screen door. The space above the Anthem is about the same height as below it, meaning "feet height". I don't generally run the system hard, but over time, heat may be a concern. If I end up shipping the D2 to Anthem, I will relocate the amp.

This D2 has never liked HDMI from the Verizon FIOS box, so I used components there with an optical connection for audio.

For now, I've eliminated use of video switching, going directly to the TV so we can use the system
post #43758 of 43765 Old 02-21-2015, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I suppose heat is possible, but the problem is erratic. It can happen pretty quickly after turning on the system (5 minutes).

After the power reset failed to change things, I tried more cable/port combos and generally, it still cut out the video. BUT, the ROKU 3 ran continuously for nearly 2 hours with no drops. So I took the same HDMI cable from the ROKU and used it on the FIOS DVR box (same inputs, everything) and the image failed to display. I then returned that cable to the ROKU and the image displayed, then dropped immediately. I don't get it.

The Anthem is in a 3-bay Salamander cabinet which is open to the left (center bay/center speaker) and rear and has a mesh door on the front. It's on the upper shelf. Below it is a Rotel RMB-1095, but that has fins on the front, next to the mesh screen door. The space above the Anthem is about the same height as below it, meaning "feet height". I don't generally run the system hard, but over time, heat may be a concern. If I end up shipping the D2 to Anthem, I will relocate the amp.

This D2 has never liked HDMI from the Verizon FIOS box, so I used components there with an optical connection for audio.

For now, I've eliminated use of video switching, going directly to the TV so we can use the system
1. Buy or borrow a different HDMI cable your first response sure sounds like a cable problem.

2. Using a fan, leave all the cabinet doors open while using the system

3. I would call Anthem C/S and discuss this with them
post #43759 of 43765 Old 02-23-2015, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Is there a thread that discusses features one wants in an ideal or next generation AV Pre-Pro?

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #43760 of 43765 Unread Today, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Greetings,

I was hoping that some of you could review the following and let me know you thoughts on where I am.

Back in October I posted the following about my room set up and everyone was beyond helpful with their recommendations. Below is link to where the journey started

I have been able to have the room measured and put up the appropriate room treatments. This improved things dramatically, however due to equipment issues I haven't been able to focus on buttoning this up as they say.

If some of you could take time out to review my ARC charts It would be appreciated. I did not amend the targets that were "auto detected" as I felt it was a good starting point. I am very pleased with the sound of Movies and TV. Music is a little boomy but very little.

Anyway attached are my arc charts and targets generated along with some picks of the new treatments
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arc 2-15 2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	566961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Arc 2-15 1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	566969   Click image for larger version

Name:	0126151720a.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	566977   Click image for larger version

Name:	0126151720.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	566985   Click image for larger version

Name:	0126151721b.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	566993  

Name:	0126151721a.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	567001   Click image for larger version

Name:	0126151721.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	567009   Click image for larger version

Name:	0126151720b.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	567017  
post #43761 of 43765 Unread Today, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerard1meehan View Post
Greetings,

I was hoping that some of you could review the following and let me know you thoughts on where I am.

Back in October I posted the following about my room set up and everyone was beyond helpful with their recommendations. Below is link to where the journey started

I have been able to have the room measured and put up the appropriate room treatments. This improved things dramatically, however due to equipment issues I haven't been able to focus on buttoning this up as they say.

If some of you could take time out to review my ARC charts It would be appreciated. I did not amend the targets that were "auto detected" as I felt it was a good starting point. I am very pleased with the sound of Movies and TV. Music is a little boomy but very little.

Anyway attached are my arc charts and targets generated along with some picks of the new treatments
The auto detect targets would have been helpful, sorry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Targets.png
Views:	17
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	567073  
post #43762 of 43765 Unread Today, 12:22 PM

Quote:
The auto detect targets would have been helpful, sorry
From our friends at Anthem/Paradigm

The left front response falls short by a small amount in the crossover region around 80 Hz, but this is unlikely to be of consequence because while the graph shows a worst-case 2 dB drop after correction relative to target, with the subwoofer playing the same material, and the right front to some extent, the in-room level difference will be very small.
Some alternatives are reducing room gain to 3 dB, recommended only if the existing setup sounds a little bass-rich, or changing crossover frequency from 60 Hz to 80 Hz, although I’m a little hesitant to recommend this in a system consisting of P series amps and S8s, especially since this is more for the sake of the graphs than audible results.
The deciding factor is whichever configuration sounds best. The graphs are very good, with the only issue being a minor one that doesn’t necessarily call for any form of adjustment.

Technical Advisor | Paradigm/Anthem Support Team
post #43763 of 43765 Unread Today, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The left front response falls short by a small amount in the crossover region around 80 Hz, but this is unlikely to be of consequence because while the graph shows a worst-case 2 dB drop after correction relative to target, with the subwoofer playing the same material, and the right front to some extent, the in-room level difference will be very small.
Some alternatives are reducing room gain to 3 dB, recommended only if the existing setup sounds a little bass-rich, or changing crossover frequency from 60 Hz to 80 Hz, although I’m a little hesitant to recommend this in a system consisting of P series amps and S8s, especially since this is more for the sake of the graphs than audible results.
The deciding factor is whichever configuration sounds best. The graphs are very good, with the only issue being a minor one that doesn’t necessarily call for any form of adjustment.

Technical Advisor | Paradigm/Anthem Support Team
Very good you got someone at Anthem to respond to your charts. I agree with their assessment except.
You say it sounds a bit boomy or bass heavy.

I think it would be worth the effort to try this.

Raise the Left and Right front speaker lower cutoffs in the targets by 20Hz.
Rerun your ARC calculations and then if it looks good upload the results to your unit. Sit back and listen to the results.
I noticed you have either a Sub 1 or 2 in your room. Your charts indicate it is easily handling your bass demands without any distortion or bass boomyness.

Hopefully the output of the open reel tape deck is going to a stereo input set as analog direct so you get the full enjoyment
of the 2 track machine

Enjoy. Your room looks just like the sign at your entrance "Man Cave "
post #43764 of 43765 Unread Today, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

The left front response falls short by a small amount in the crossover region around 80 Hz, but this is unlikely to be of consequence because while the graph shows a worst-case 2 dB drop after correction relative to target, with the subwoofer playing the same material, and the right front to some extent, the in-room level difference will be very small....
I think that the problem with your front-left could be because it is at the same distance from the backwall and sidewall. You should try something like 2 feet from the backwall and 3 feet from the sidewall. Your right-front is good so the speaker can do better (unless it is broken).
If moving around a little bit does not help you could swap the left and right to see if it is the speaker or the placement.
post #43765 of 43765 Unread Today, 10:51 PM

Liked: 17
The Beta FW 1.47f seems to have fixed my problems with handshaking (to a PRO-101FD) and I can now use my Darblet again!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page