Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 1460 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 57Likes
post #43771 of 43785 Old 02-27-2015, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide

^ have you tried eliminating the sub temporarily and set the main speakers to full range to see if you like the bass better on music?

You could also try without the Center speaker if you are using that for music.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.

Last edited by AVfile; 02-27-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43772 of 43785 Old 02-27-2015, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 100
^ Good test indeed!

Great theatre BTW

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #43773 of 43785 Old 02-27-2015, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
^ have you tried eliminating the sub altogether for music listening to make sure it is not the speakers that you simply don't like?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
^ Good test indeed!

Great theatre BTW
Should probably make little difference since music contains very little if any LFE.
post #43774 of 43785 Old 02-27-2015, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 100
True but his speakers can play down to 30Hz which many bass notes from Jazz, drums and Organ notes reside. The mains will not have the same heft as the subwoofer in the bass notes however...

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #43775 of 43785 Old 02-28-2015, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
gerard1meehan,
How do you listen to your music?? I'm not concerned about how many glasses of wine you have while listening, just how many speakers are you using when listening to music?
I have a 6.1 setupand use all speakers and subs for movies and sports. I prefer my music in stereo. Since my fronts are bookshelf's I include my subs and use 2.1 for music. I do separate movie and music runs during my ARC readings. ARC consistently sets my room gain and sub level for music 1-2 dB less and it sounds excellent. Plenty of punch for lfe in movies and smooth, tight bass for music.

With your fronts (look like S8's?) setting them to full range and doing a music run with just those 2 speakers (no sub) would be my suggestion. It takes a little longer to do the ARC run when you do both movie and music sweeps. In your case it would take 1/3 to 1/4 the time to do music compared to movie. I can't tell if you run 5.1 or 7.1 for movie. Well worth the little time it takes. 'N'-ing out speakers in a 'same as' run does not work as well as doing separate movie and music runs. In my experience it leaves the room gain the same and makes music bass boomy.

If you do listen to your music in stereo (or even in Anthem Logic Music) do a separate ARC music run for just the speakers you're using. It will take a little extra time, but it looks like you are willing to spend the time (and bucks) to get it right. I second dmusoke's Great theatre BTW.

Tom
AVfile likes this.

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3/50;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre C-5exMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #43776 of 43785 Old 03-02-2015, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to work on my left speaker placement or any of the other items I was going to try this weekend to resolve my “Boomy or Base heavy issues” . Other responsibilities cropped up.

But late Friday while watching a movie it dawned on me that I had changed the distance setting of my sub after I ran and uploaded ARC. I had changed the position of my sub and my front right speaker and neglected to change the distances in the processor prior to running. When I reviewed the settings after uploading arc I changed the distance from 13.5 to 11.5.

So I just put it back to the 13.5 and the base issue was gone. I do have to re-measure the distances and I will re-measure ARC.. But with any luck this is it. As of right now it sounds the best it ever has

Will advise

As for How do I listen to music. Best way to state it would be as the media I’m listing to was intended to be heard. I do not eliminate any of my speakers for my Music Arc calculations. If the track I am listing to was mastered in Stereo I listen to it in Stereo. If it’s 5.1 or 3.1, or even 4.1 I do the same

On analog inputs as in my Turntable our Reel to reel I swap between Analogue direct and DSP
post #43777 of 43785 Old 03-02-2015, 09:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerard1meehan View Post
Unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to work on my left speaker placement or any of the other items I was going to try this weekend to resolve my “Boomy or Base heavy issues” . Other responsibilities cropped up.

But late Friday while watching a movie it dawned on me that I had changed the distance setting of my sub after I ran and uploaded ARC. I had changed the position of my sub and my front right speaker and neglected to change the distances in the processor prior to running. When I reviewed the settings after uploading arc I changed the distance from 13.5 to 11.5.

So I just put it back to the 13.5 and the base issue was gone. I do have to re-measure the distances and I will re-measure ARC.. But with any luck this is it. As of right now it sounds the best it ever has
Technically since the "room" changed (you moved speakers, so it will sound different) then you should have to re-measure with ARC. If you had just goofed up the distance then you wouldn't have to remeasure.

That said, boomy base that depends on distance settings sounds like a phase matching issue, you might want to try making sure you've got your sub/mains in phase and then re-run ARC. I think there are instructions in this thread on how to set phase.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #43778 of 43785 Old 03-02-2015, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerard1meehan View Post

Will advise

As for How do I listen to music. Best way to state it would be as the media I’m listing to was intended to be heard. I do not eliminate any of my speakers for my Music Arc calculations. If the track I am listing to was mastered in Stereo I listen to it in Stereo. If it’s 5.1 or 3.1, or even 4.1 I do the same

On analog inputs as in my Turntable our Reel to reel I swap between Analogue direct and DSP

Is the position of the speakers now the same as they were when you ran ARC?? It was not clear to me.
If they are, you do NOT need to re-run ARC. Speaker distance can be put in before or after the ARC run. They just need to be put in correctly. A tape measure and a friend are all that are needed.
As far as sub distance you may want to read the link in dmusoke's signature on how to best set sub distance.
If you use his technique you will need an SPL meter.

If the speaker placement has changed and you do need to re-run ARC then you may want to consider doing a separate movie/music runs IF you listen to the majority of your music in stereo. I have a few SACD's and DVD-A's that are encoded in 5.1 that I play on my oppo 103D in surround using my ARC movie configuration. DSOTM for instance. But I listen to 99.5% of my music in stereo, so I set up a separate music configuration for 2.1 in ARC. I think it works better than playing stereo thru a 5.1/7.1 ARC configuration, since it is specific to the speakers being used. Not drastically better, but noticeably better. My 2 cents.

Tom

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3/50;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre C-5exMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #43779 of 43785 Old 03-02-2015, 09:56 AM

The speakers were moved prior to ARC measurements. I changed the distance in the processors menu after I ran and uploaded ARC.

But I want to tweak my Left front so I'll measure the distances again and re-run the full ARC process.

Appreciate everyone taking time to help out

thanks
post #43780 of 43785 Old 03-03-2015, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a problem. This has just happened. My D2v is stuck in pcm and 2 channel. On all devices that I try to play. Any suggestions or is the processor fried?
post #43781 of 43785 Old 03-03-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothaselin View Post
I have a problem. This has just happened. My D2v is stuck in pcm and 2 channel. On all devices that I try to play. Any suggestions or is the processor fried?
have you tried loading factory defaults?
post #43782 of 43785 Unread 03-03-2015, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I guess I am going to try that when I get back from work.
post #43783 of 43785 Unread Today, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 19
D2V question...

I recently upgraded from a D2 to a D2V. Blu Ray player is a Oppo 103. With the change, I now bit-stream from the Oppo to the D2V. I've watched about 5 movies. Twice during playback, the sound went completely silent. When I checked, it was showing PCM instead of DTS MA or TruHD...and no sound at all. Switching to a different input, then back, fixed the issue. Fist time it happened, I thought I may have had a dirty disk. The second time it happened was a networked .mkv file--so I know it's not a disk problem. Any ideas...I recall hearing some possible issues with dropouts while bitstreaming...but assumed those had all been fixed by now. Firmware on both should be most up to date.

I don't really like talking about my flair

Chromebox W/ XBMC For Sale
RTI T4 Remote For Sale:
post #43784 of 43785 Unread Today, 10:15 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Sounds like audio got muted due to a failure of the periodic Copy Protection check which happens during playback. This is a type of HDMI failure.

Check your HDMI cables. It may be as simple as the plugs are not fully inserted in the sockets. HDMI is only friction fit, and it just takes a small shift of plug in socket to screw things up. Check that nothing (e.g., cable weight) is tugging on the plugs. New cables may still have kinks in them causing such tugging. Unplug and replug each end.

The D2v (unlike the D2) supports Deep Color video signals. If you have that turned on in the OPPO that puts more bandwidth on the HDMI cable. If your HDMI cables are marginal for their length that too can cause HDMI issues. Keep in mind that HDMI is an end to end protocol, so the problem could be the cables on either side of the D2v.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #43785 of 43785 Unread Today, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post
D2V question...

I recently upgraded from a D2 to a D2V. Blu Ray player is a Oppo 103. With the change, I now bit-stream from the Oppo to the D2V. I've watched about 5 movies. Twice during playback, the sound went completely silent. When I checked, it was showing PCM instead of DTS MA or TruHD...and no sound at all. Switching to a different input, then back, fixed the issue. Fist time it happened, I thought I may have had a dirty disk. The second time it happened was a networked .mkv file--so I know it's not a disk problem. Any ideas...I recall hearing some possible issues with dropouts while bitstreaming...but assumed those had all been fixed by now. Firmware on both should be most up to date.
Networked MKV file ? That can be problematic for several reasons.

Your network cannot handle the hi bitrate transfer of lossless audio
Your streaming device may have problems handling the hi bitrate audio
The ripped MKV file you have may not be perfect and causes the dropouts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page