Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 1463 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 65Likes
post #43861 of 43886 Old 04-16-2015, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2AUDIO View Post
Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a used Anthem AVM 20 from an individual on Audiogon, but the yahoo who sold it to me forgot to remove the setup password for the preamp and I can't get a hold of that individual to get the password. Is there any way to do a "hard reset" of the AVM 20 using a sequence of buttons on the front panel in order to erase the settings to factory defaults?
It might not work, but in the D2 manual to clear the password, you press the right arrow key 4 times, then 4 times again to confirm. It may flash message "user password removed".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43862 of 43886 Old 04-17-2015, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had my anthem d2v updated to the 3d model about 11 months ago.
running fine up to six weeks ago. Sent it back to anthem and another almost a month went by.
it was the cable to the 3d hdmi that was replaced
they sent it back with defaults installed. I do not think i saved by last settings. But I put in the user settings.
everything working fine including oppo on bluray and dvds, except my media server that has blu rays and dvds on it.
The 1080p films have a jitter, jumping. In both 60 frames or 24p

the 24p from my oppo works fine

settings
ntsc
hdmi
1920x1080p/24
hdtb
studio rgb
12 bit i have tried lowering it to 8 bit no luck
black
normal
passthru

set on sat 1 and 2
sat two is

hdmi 2
dig hdmi
auto dig no

any suggestions, please
thanks
gerry

Last edited by slots1; 04-17-2015 at 08:32 PM.
post #43863 of 43886 Old 04-18-2015, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by slots1 View Post
I had my anthem d2v updated to the 3d model about 11 months ago.
running fine up to six weeks ago. Sent it back to anthem and another almost a month went by.
it was the cable to the 3d hdmi that was replaced
they sent it back with defaults installed. I do not think i saved by last settings. But I put in the user settings.
everything working fine including oppo on bluray and dvds, except my media server that has blu rays and dvds on it.
The 1080p films have a jitter, jumping. In both 60 frames or 24p

the 24p from my oppo works fine

settings
ntsc
hdmi
1920x1080p/24
hdtb
studio rgb
12 bit i have tried lowering it to 8 bit no luck
black
normal
passthru

set on sat 1 and 2
sat two is

hdmi 2
dig hdmi
auto dig no

any suggestions, please
thanks
gerry

Gerry

What is your media server ?

What kind of video files are you attempting to playback ?

How do you get the signal fromyour media server ?

How do you get the video and audio signal to the Anthem HDMI input ?

The playback should be the same for your OPPO. Have you tried switching the Anthem HDMI inputs ?
post #43864 of 43886 Old 04-20-2015, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
Hopefully a 'flash erase' and new firmware download and installation will fix it.
From personal experience sending equipment back to Anthem can be a slow trip. Especially if US Customs is involved.
N2AUDIO, please let us know how it works out for you.

Tom
Tom,

Thank you for your help and concern (and for everyone else's for that matter). I was able to obtain the password from the guy I bought the AVM-20 from, so disaster was averted. On a different note, I noticed that when I power up the AVM20, it takes about 8 to 10 seconds for the preamp to trigger my Emotiva UPA-500 amp to turn on. This did not happen with my NAD T747 that I was using as a preamp, because I could vary the trigger delay with that unit, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that with the AVM20 (only enable/disable it). It's kind of annoying and certainly doesn't seem like it should work that way. It's very consistent in the lag, too. Has anyone experienced this long lag in triggering amps with their AVM 20, 30, and/or 40 processors? Not sure if this is normal behavior for these Anthems or not. As always, your inputs are greatly appreciated.

James
post #43865 of 43886 Old 04-20-2015, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Tom,

Thank you for your help and concern (and for everyone else's for that matter). I was able to obtain the password from the guy I bought the AVM-20 from, so disaster was averted. On a different note, I noticed that when I power up the AVM20, it takes about 8 to 10 seconds for the preamp to trigger my Emotiva UPA-500 amp to turn on. This did not happen with my NAD T747 that I was using as a preamp, because I could vary the trigger delay with that unit, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that with the AVM20 (only enable/disable it). It's kind of annoying and certainly doesn't seem like it should work that way. It's very consistent in the lag, too. Has anyone experienced this long lag in triggering amps with their AVM 20, 30, and/or 40 processors? Not sure if this is normal behavior for these Anthems or not. As always, your inputs are greatly appreciated.

James
My D2v takes about 45-60 seconds to power up to the point that the 12v triggers are enabled. This is normal with all the Anthem processors I have owned. During the 'power up' cycle none of the remote functions will work-- volume, source select, etc.
If it really bothers you, just turn the AVM 20 on first, then your sources and monitors.

Tom

BTW-- glad you were able to get the password and didn't have to do anything drastic.

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3/50;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre C-5exMP;Ayre QB-9;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #43866 of 43886 Old 04-21-2015, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Has anyone experienced this long lag in triggering amps with their AVM 20, 30, and/or 40 processors? Not sure if this is normal behavior for these Anthems or not. As always, your inputs are greatly appreciated.
My D2 takes about 12 seconds before it triggers the amp.
I didn't see anything in the AVM 20 manual (sec 7.4.9) about the initial delay, but the sequential delay is 250 ms so that you don't end up with a voltage drop.

Last edited by MitchPope; 04-21-2015 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Checked the manual
post #43867 of 43886 Old 04-21-2015, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchPope View Post
My D2 takes about 12 seconds before it triggers the amp.
I didn't see anything in the AVM 20 manual (sec 7.4.9) about the initial delay, but the sequential delay is 250 ms so that you don't end up with a voltage drop.

I just timed my D2v at 27 seconds. Guess my 45-60 second estimate was way off. It says a lot about my patience level, or lack of patience level to be more precise.
You must have faster electricity up there in Canada than I have down here in Colorado.

Tom

Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3/50;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre C-5exMP;Ayre QB-9;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #43868 of 43886 Old 04-23-2015, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
I just timed my D2v at 27 seconds. Guess my 45-60 second estimate was way off. It says a lot about my patience level, or lack of patience level to be more precise.
You must have faster electricity up there in Canada than I have down here in Colorado.

Tom
I believe their electricity is metric so there ya go
post #43869 of 43886 Old 04-23-2015, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Tom[/QUOTE]

I think it is an elevation problem
post #43870 of 43886 Old 04-24-2015, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceko View Post

Tom
I think it is an elevation problem[/QUOTE]

With the new laws in both our states I bet you can get just as 'elevated' in Washington as we can in Colorado. Just saying.

post #43871 of 43886 Old 04-24-2015, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I just upgraded from a D2 to D2V. Prior to the upgrade, I had my Oppo Blu Ray player set to decode everything to 5.1 LPCM to the D2 via HDMI. Now that the D2V can decode all of the HD audio formats, I changed the setting on the Oppo to Bitstream. None of the speakers or amps changed, so I just uploaded my last ARC settings to the new D2V. and set the main volume trim (can't recall exact name) to match what is was previously. I've noticed a huge volume increase...used to listen at -3 or -4 from reference (so -13 -14). Those same levels now are way to loud...so we have to back off to -23 or -24 and the subs have really lost thier punch. Is there anything that would affect volume level from changing LPCM to bistream?

Will re-run arc with the new unit when we have time..but was curious if this change had something to do with it?

I don't really like talking about my flair

Chromebox W/ XBMC For Sale
RTI T4 Remote For Sale:
post #43872 of 43886 Old 04-24-2015, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Dts ma 2.0

Hi
I was watching a bluray "Death Hunt" which is DTS MA 2.0, and I put my D2v on DTS MA 2.0+ neo 6 cin and didn't get any sound on the surrounds or rears. Tried DTS MA 2.0 + plII x and the same thing ( however I did get a slight sound on the left surround on both of these formats)
My Oppo 103d is set to bitstream. Is this an issue with the D2v or Oppo? Or possibly a software issue?

Thanks
Rob
post #43873 of 43886 Old 04-24-2015, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post
I just upgraded from a D2 to D2V. Prior to the upgrade, I had my Oppo Blu Ray player set to decode everything to 5.1 LPCM to the D2 via HDMI. Now that the D2V can decode all of the HD audio formats, I changed the setting on the Oppo to Bitstream. None of the speakers or amps changed, so I just uploaded my last ARC settings to the new D2V. and set the main volume trim (can't recall exact name) to match what is was previously. I've noticed a huge volume increase...used to listen at -3 or -4 from reference (so -13 -14). Those same levels now are way to loud...so we have to back off to -23 or -24 and the subs have really lost thier punch. Is there anything that would affect volume level from changing LPCM to bistream?

Will re-run arc with the new unit when we have time..but was curious if this change had something to do with it?

I wouldn't think that it would change that much from D2 to D2v. It didn't with me.
Bob had mentioned something on the last page about Dolby Volume affecting the volume by + 10 dB somehow. I don't know if this might be your problem, but make sure that Dolby Volume is not enabled for that source. Otherwise you may need to adjust the 'test volume' and reset the subs to 75 dB with a SPL meter, and then re-run ARC.
Hopefully someone else will have another suggestion if the Dolby Volume setting isn't the problem so that you don't have to re-run ARC.

Good Luck,
Tom

post #43874 of 43886 Old 04-24-2015, 10:37 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
^ Even though you can upload D2 ARC results into the D2v, I'd recommend you re-run ARC for the D2v setup before you do anything else.

Also, if this new D2v was used, or a demo unit, it may have "temporary" speaker level adjustments in place -- the ones you can set with the buttons around the Arrow keys. To clear all of the "temporary" settings:

1) Save User Settings
2) Reload Factory Defaults -- if you lose video at this point, you can continue using the Front Panel Display
3) Reload Saved User Settings

The "temporary" settings are not Saved, so this clears all of them.

--------------------------------------

Be sure you have both the latest firmware in the D2v, and also the latest ARC application on your Windows PC. Both are downloadable from the Anthem support page.

And double check that you have Room EQ enabled for each Setup > Source Setup definition, otherwise those ARC results aren't actually being used.

After you re-do your ARC setup, check your levels using a calibration disc -- I recommend the LPCM test tracks on AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray. If you've used this disc with your prior, D2 setup, you can also compare your memory of the Main Volume level needed to achieve a certain output from the speakers -- say 75dB SPL -- with the D2 vs. the D2v.

In addition to the Dolby Volume comment above, note that if you have switched to using the XLR outputs to your amps those run, by design, +6dB hotter than the RCA outputs. Typically there is a setting on the amp's inputs to compensate for that if desired.

You can also use the Bitstream tracks on that disc to compare Bitstream and LPCM output from the OPPO into your D2v. The levels should be the same.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #43875 of 43886 Old 04-24-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDec View Post
Hi
I was watching a bluray "Death Hunt" which is DTS MA 2.0, and I put my D2v on DTS MA 2.0+ neo 6 cin and didn't get any sound on the surrounds or rears. Tried DTS MA 2.0 + plII x and the same thing ( however I did get a slight sound on the left surround on both of these formats)
My Oppo 103d is set to bitstream. Is this an issue with the D2v or Oppo? Or possibly a software issue?

Thanks
Rob
Now I put in "Clash of the Titans" which is also DTS MA 2.0. I get no sound and the front panel reads DTS MA 7.1( put the previews I do get sound). I put in a DTS MA 7.1 movie "Escape" and it works fine.
Is this the Oppo or D2v. Ive read of other receivers/processors that have problems with DTS MA 2.0.

Any help would be appreciated.
Rob
post #43876 of 43886 Old 04-24-2015, 01:40 PM
Read the FAQ!

Neither the OPPO nor the D2v have problems with DTS-HD MA 2.0. There's something else going on.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #43877 of 43886 Old 04-24-2015, 02:55 PM

Thanks Bob
Although I suffer from CRS I think I remember Death Hunt did this on my previous processor. The 7.1 on Clash of the Titans has me worried.
Thanks Again
Rob
post #43878 of 43886 Old 04-24-2015, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Now I put in "Clash of the Titans" which is also DTS MA 2.0. I get no sound and the front panel reads DTS MA 7.1( put the previews I do get sound). I put in a DTS MA 7.1 movie "Escape" and it works fine.
Is this the Oppo or D2v. Ive read of other receivers/processors that have problems with DTS MA 2.0.

Any help would be appreciated.
Rob

The web is full of complaints about DTSMA 1.0 and 2.0 playback especially the Clash of Titans and DTS MA 1.0 and 2.0 discs from Warner Bros.
Try changing from Bitstream, which I believe you are currently using, to LPCM and see if your Bluray player exhibits the sound decoding problem too
post #43879 of 43886 Old 04-24-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
The web is full of complaints about DTSMA 1.0 and 2.0 playback especially the Clash of Titans and DTS MA 1.0 and 2.0 discs from Warner Bros.
Try changing from Bitstream, which I believe you are currently using, to LPCM and see if your Bluray player exhibits the sound decoding problem too
Thanks Thestewman,
Ill give that a try once I get home from work.
Much appreciate it!
Rob
post #43880 of 43886 Old 04-24-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
thestewman,
Just got done changing to lpcm and it works fine! Thanks!
Can anyone tell me if I should change my Coax/optical Output Settings to 192k on my Oppo for playing CDs and if it runs tandem with the D2v?

Rob

Last edited by RobDec; 04-24-2015 at 10:23 PM.
post #43881 of 43886 Old 04-25-2015, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
thestewman,
Just got done changing to lpcm and it works fine! Thanks!
Can anyone tell me if I should change my Coax/optical Output Settings to 192k on my Oppo for playing CDs and if it runs tandem with the D2v?

Rob
If you set the D2 to use 192k everything you connect exept HDMI will be processed at 192k.
Do you have a compelling reason to use optical or coaxial ?
Personally since CD is a 2 channel audio signal usually stereo I would be using analog out from the OPPO and analog direct with the D2.
Experiment and test it
post #43882 of 43886 Old 04-25-2015, 11:42 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ For the OPPO players, the Optical/Coax output rate setting is a limit, not an up-sampling choice.

CDs will be output on Optical/Coax as 44.1KHz regardless of the setting. If you select a setting of, say, 88.2KHz, content at that rate or lower will be output unchanged. Content at a higher rate will be limited -- down-sampled -- to 88.2KHz for output.

The setting only impacts Stereo LPCM output on the Optical/Coax (S/PDIF) outputs. The idea is to make sure those are limited to what the device at the other end of the cable can accept for Stereo LPCM, since there's no equivalent of the HDMI handshake to limit things automatically for S/PDIF.
--Bob

post #43883 of 43886 Old 04-25-2015, 01:20 PM

Thanks thestewman and Bob,
Its always good to learn!
Rob
post #43884 of 43886 Unread Today, 06:08 AM

Quick question,

On the D2v. Analog DSP input is processed at 24/96 or 24/192??
post #43885 of 43886 Unread Today, 07:09 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ It is digitized on input at up to 96 -- there's a pair settings in Setup > ADC that controls this for stereo and for multi-channel Analog input. This digitization prior to processing is the critical factor. So, 96.
--Bob

post #43886 of 43886 Unread Today, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ It is digitized on input at up to 96 -- there's a pair settings in Setup > ADC that controls this for stereo and for multi-channel Analog input. This digitization prior to processing is the critical factor. So, 96.
--Bob
Thanks Bob,

And I am correct in saying that if I then chose analog direct that the it also bypasses the digital crossovers within the unit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page