Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 1468 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 79Likes
post #44011 of 44037 Old 06-23-2015, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 28
FWIW-
D2v NON 3D running v3.09h. My testing showed:
DTS-MA 5.1 -- D2v video pop-up screen shows Audio Source: Lossless
DTS-MA 7.1 --D2v shows Lossless
DD-HD 7.1 --D2v shows Lossless

Oppo 103D is set to 'SPLIT A/V'. (This may or may not be important, but may be worth looking into) with HDMI #1 going to Panny plasma display and HDMI #2 going to D2v.
HDMI #1 out set to RGB.
HDMI #2 out set to YCbCr 4:2:2 (although D2v shows it is receiving RGB).
3-D set to off. Deep color off for both.
Set to bitstream for HDMI.

Tom

"When all else fails, read the manual."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44012 of 44037 Old 06-23-2015, 08:46 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
My guess at this point is that the bug is in the /3D configuration.
--Bob
post #44013 of 44037 Old 06-23-2015, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
D2v 3D, Firmware v3.09
v3.09 (not followed by a letter) is exclusively for 2D hardware and v3.10 is exclusively for 3D hardware. Please ensure that correct software is installed. This would not only help sort out the contradictory display conditions, it should be done anyway.
AVfile likes this.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #44014 of 44037 Old 06-23-2015, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Confirmed, the audio display in the 3D-model video menu is bogus in regard to lossless encoded audio. For now, please just ignore this info. Sorry for the confusion. The fix, if any (no idea - the code has been locked down for a while) would likely be to just delete that line item since the more comprehensive audio info appears on the regular display correctly.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #44015 of 44037 Old 06-24-2015, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post
v3.09 (not followed by a letter) is exclusively for 2D hardware and v3.10 is exclusively for 3D hardware. Please ensure that correct software is installed. This would not only help sort out the contradictory display conditions, it should be done anyway.
As Nick recommended I updated my D2v 3D firmware to v3.10.
I always have hesitated to update the D2v firmware as others have experienced either problems conducting the update or new problems especially with HDMI switching suddenly were experienced.
I wonder what benefits I might get from the update as the firmware notes are not specific.
The update went without any problems and so far I see no positive or negative results or advantages
post #44016 of 44037 Old 06-25-2015, 04:08 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
While on the subject of the D2v 3D (firmware 3.10), has anyone experienced the inability of the unit to display the Setup Menu and Video Processing on projector screens AFTER about 1 1/2 hours into use? I first noticed the problem in the D2v when new, and now with the 3D board installed, it is still there.

No problem with the screen display within that time period, but after that, it will simply refuse to do so. For the Setup Menu, I will then have to depend on the front panel display, but with the Video Processing, the penal will just show a reference to OSD.

When I was using the Sony D50 CRT, I thought it was a display problem, but now, I am having the same issue with my JVC DLA-X900R.

Ben
post #44017 of 44037 Old 06-25-2015, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Experienced and odd issue last night with my D2V for the second time.

We were watching DirectTV (via component input) yesterday, and switched over to BluRay (HDMI) for a while. When we switched back to DirecTV, we got sound, but no picture. Screen was just blank/black. The first time this happened, I thought it was an issue with DirectTV and after disconnected and reconnecting everything, finally got the picture back.

After switching between several of the other inputs and back...still could not get a picture to display. We turned the D2V off and then back on and the picture from DirectTV (over component) returned. After a while, had the same issue again switching from sourced. Cycling power seemed to be the only fix.

Any ideas?

I don't really like talking about my flair

Chromebox W/ XBMC For Sale
RTI T4 Remote For Sale:
post #44018 of 44037 Old 06-27-2015, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benleeys View Post
While on the subject of the D2v 3D (firmware 3.10), has anyone experienced the inability of the unit to display the Setup Menu and Video Processing on projector screens AFTER about 1 1/2 hours into use? I first noticed the problem in the D2v when new, and now with the 3D board installed, it is still there.

No problem with the screen display within that time period, but after that, it will simply refuse to do so. For the Setup Menu, I will then have to depend on the front panel display, but with the Video Processing, the penal will just show a reference to OSD.

When I was using the Sony D50 CRT, I thought it was a display problem, but now, I am having the same issue with my JVC DLA-X900R.

Ben

Ben,
I have had the same issue with my D2 and now my D2v.
Perhaps we have the only three units with this problem that Anthem has manufactured. But I doubt it.
If I had to guess I would say it has something to do with temperature and/or the fact that the setup menu is S-Video.
I have tried different settings to no avail. Perhaps I missed something.
I have learned to work around this by using the front panel display, but it is not as easy to read and navigate as the on-screen setup menu. And it is totally useless when trying to adjust 'ANALOG INPUT LEVELS'.

If there is a setting Ben and I are missing, please let us know. If this is a problem that others are experiencing please let us know. This should not be happening with a $10K processor, so I must assume its a settings problem. Or I would hope so anyway.

Tom

post #44019 of 44037 Old 06-27-2015, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
Ben,
I have had the same issue with my D2 and now my D2v.
Perhaps we have the only three units with this problem that Anthem has manufactured. But I doubt it.
If I had to guess I would say it has something to do with temperature and/or the fact that the setup menu is S-Video.
I have tried different settings to no avail. Perhaps I missed something.
I have learned to work around this by using the front panel display, but it is not as easy to read and navigate as the on-screen setup menu. And it is totally useless when trying to adjust 'ANALOG INPUT LEVELS'.

If there is a setting Ben and I are missing, please let us know. If this is a problem that others are experiencing please let us know. This should not be happening with a $10K processor, so I must assume its a settings problem. Or I would hope so anyway.

Tom
Tom

What has Anthem support suggested or offered ?

Stew
post #44020 of 44037 Old 06-28-2015, 02:16 AM

Tom,

So I am not alone with this issue after all!

Years ago I posted this topic here when I was using the D2. Nobody responded, so I thought it was just me. Then came the D2v, and the issue was there again. I was still using the Sony D50 crt display and I thought maybe it was the culprit, so I just learnt to live with it. Setup and video changes are done when the unit is newly turned on. No problem.

When the D20 was replaced with the DLA-X900R and the issue remained, I thought I'd try my luck on this topic again. And bingo! You turned up.

Tom, I don't think it has to do with any setting we missed. It's not an overheating problem either, because my D2v3D is on the top shelf out in the open in an air-conditioned theatre. Neither do I think it's my 25ft Monster HDMI cable which has never, ever given me any video problem.

I guess if a few more users indicate having this issue, Anthem might just find it worthwhile to take note.

Ben
post #44021 of 44037 Old 06-28-2015, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

Years ago I also posted a similar question. I seem to remember Bob stating it had something to do with the fact that the set-up menu used internal S-Video and may have been due to heat. Forgive me, Bob if I am remembering wrong. I tried to find the post but grew tired of looking. Please refresh my memory or add your input.

Stew,
I just learned to work around it-- doing my set-up soon after turning it on, or using the front panel display. Never contacted Anthem tech. It was a problem, but a minor problem and assumed it was only me having the problem. I didn't want to ship my unit back to Canada and be D2-less for a month or more for a nuisance.
Maybe some you and others here would check and see if they can get the on-screen set-up menu to come up after using your D2 or D2v for an hour or so. Maybe check after watching a movie.
Let us know if you get a menu or a blank screen.

Tom

I found my original post on page 905. I don't think I made it clear to Bob that there wasn't just a delay when going from line to line in the menu, but that that menu would eventually completely disappear.

Last edited by tngiloy; 06-28-2015 at 06:21 AM.
post #44022 of 44037 Old 06-28-2015, 06:26 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ The workaround is to power cycle the Anthem. That should get your menu back.

There are several, unrelated issues here, all of which should be cured by that. For example, if you leave the Video Source Adjust menu on screen without doing anything -- long enough that it times out -- then you will need to power cycle to get it back.

The Setup menu is an internally generated analog (S-video) source. Evidently the hardware can get in a state where the portion that digitizes analog video for HDMI output doesn't lock on to that analog video.

(In the older D2, it was also possible for the firmware to get zapped so you could not bring up Setup at all -- even after a power cycle. The cure for THAT was to re-install the firmware.)

One last note: If you lose your on-screen info displays (volume and the Select button stuff) after using Video Source Adjust, just hit the Back button one more time. If you look at the Front Panel display you will see it is still showing OSD (on-screen display) even after you dismiss Video Source Adjust. The extra Back cures that.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #44023 of 44037 Old 06-28-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
This should not be happening with a $10K processor.......
Tom
I wholeheartedly agree, Tom. It's irritating to have to resort to workarounds.

Ben
post #44024 of 44037 Old 06-28-2015, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
(In the older D2, it was also possible for the firmware to get zapped so you could not bring up Setup at all -- even after a power cycle. The cure for THAT was to re-install the firmware.)
Thank you - I have my OSD back again!

post #44025 of 44037 Old 06-28-2015, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^ The workaround is to power cycle the Anthem. That should get your menu back.

There are several, unrelated issues here, all of which should be cured by that. For example, if you leave the Video Source Adjust menu on screen without doing anything -- long enough that it times out -- then you will need to power cycle to get it back.

The Setup menu is an internally generated analog (S-video) source. Evidently the hardware can get in a state where the portion that digitizes analog video for HDMI output doesn't lock on to that analog video.

One last note: If you lose your on-screen info displays (volume and the Select button stuff) after using Video Source Adjust, just hit the Back button one more time. If you look at the Front Panel display you will see it is still showing OSD (on-screen display) even after you dismiss Video Source Adjust. The extra Back cures that.
--Bob

Bob,
Power cycling does not work. At least not as fast as your suggestions imply.
The only thing that works for me is to turn off the D2v long enough for it to cool down. I have tried after a just few minutes and it still won't work. If I wait an hour or so it will work.
This does not affect the on-screen info displays for volume or source display, only the set-up menu.
I have never not been able to pull up the Video Source Adjust menu (pushing and holding #7 ) at any time with either D2 or D2v. This only happens with the main set-up menu (pushing and holding SUB/LFE).
My D2v has plenty of ventilation also.

Tom

post #44026 of 44037 Old 06-28-2015, 11:33 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ If power cycling doesn't work to bring back Setup menu on the D2v (immediately), then the D2v likely needs hardware service.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #44027 of 44037 Old 06-28-2015, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Tom
Is it possible your remote is not working. Especially the old style D2 remotes. They have a high failure rate. I go through 2 a year.
post #44028 of 44037 Old 06-28-2015, 12:17 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ At the very least, you'll want to check with fresh batteries.
--Bob

post #44029 of 44037 Old 06-28-2015, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^ If power cycling doesn't work to bring back Setup menu on the D2v (immediately), then the D2v likely needs hardware service.
--Bob
Quote:
Tom
Is it possible your remote is not working. Especially the old style D2 remotes. They have a high failure rate. I go through 2 a year.

I use a universal remote. It works fine. New batteries. It seems unlikely that I would get 2 units with the same problem due to a hardware failure and only one other person on this site has the same problem.
I will not send my unit back to Anthem for a problem I can work around by using the set-up menu only on start-up or use the front panel display which works for most settings I need to use. It is a 5-6 week turn around for Anthem tech and I am pretty sure they would tell me that there is no problem that they could find.

Bob and Stew (and anyone else),
have you tried accessing your set-up menu after an hour or two's use?? Are you able to get it to come up on your display??

Tom

post #44030 of 44037 Old 06-28-2015, 03:19 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Yes. Or if not (the failure case seems random), a power cycle cures it immediately.
--Bob

post #44031 of 44037 Old 06-28-2015, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^ Yes. Or if not (the failure case seems random), a power cycle cures it immediately.
--Bob
In your set-up, section 3.12, what are your settings for 'main' ??

post #44032 of 44037 Old 06-28-2015, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I use a universal remote. It works fine. New batteries. It seems unlikely that I would get 2 units with the same problem due to a hardware failure and only one other person on this site has the same problem.
I will not send my unit back to Anthem for a problem I can work around by using the set-up menu only on start-up or use the front panel display which works for most settings I need to use. It is a 5-6 week turn around for Anthem tech and I am pretty sure they would tell me that there is no problem that they could find.

Bob and Stew (and anyone else),
have you tried accessing your set-up menu after an hour or two's use?? Are you able to get it to come up on your display??

Tom
Tom
I have had a D2. Then a D2v and then that was converted to a D2v 3D. I never have had a problem. I can get the OSD display even after the unit has been on for hours or all day.
The unit is mounted into a 19" equipment rack and the temp on a warm summer day is 90 degrees F.
There is cooling air ventilation being drawn in at the bottom and below the D2 that exits out the ceiling of the equipment rack room when the temp exceeds 88 F..
There is something weird about the coincidence of you owning two different units that might just be the key to the problem,
tngiloy likes this.
post #44033 of 44037 Old Yesterday, 12:36 AM

Quote:
.......There is something weird about the coincidence of you owning two different units that might just be the key to the problem,
Tom, I wonder what we both have in common. Like you, both my D2 and D2v/D2v3D exhibit the same symptoms. Both of them were purchased new, and from day 1, the problem was there.

Ben
post #44034 of 44037 Old Yesterday, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benleeys View Post
Tom, I wonder what we both have in common. Like you, both my D2 and D2v/D2v3D exhibit the same symptoms. Both of them were purchased new, and from day 1, the problem was there.

Ben

Being from the Denver area, we usually blame weird stuff on the mile high altitude.
Maybe I'll put the D2v on a lower shelf and see if that helps.

Since it really is not a big problem and the unit works perfectly otherwise I'm not going to worry too much about it. Would like to know what others have their video config and display settings (13.1-main) at just to make sure its not something there, although if the settings were wrong I should not get the on screen set-up display at all.

Tom

post #44035 of 44037 Unread Yesterday, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

^
I did some more testing this evening thinking that it might be a over-heating problem, since the set-up menu would work when cool on start up but would stop working after it had run for a while. After reading how Stew had his ventilation/cooling system for his rack I decided to try an experiment.
I took a small room/desk fan and set it up to help cool the D2v. As usual the menu worked shortly after start up. I set a timer for 30 min and tried to bring up the menu again. It did not come up, but it did come up right after a power cycle. I set the timer for another hour and retried. Again it did not come up then, but did come up immediately after another power cycle. It seems as if the S-video system for the set-up menu is susceptible to overheating, even if the rest of the audio/video functions work fine.

Ben,
this leads me to believe that my unit was not as well ventilated as I thought. I will be rearranging my components to allow better ventilation for the D2v. I would suggest you try this experiment and if you have similar results you may want to adjust your spacing also.

Thanks to Stew for the insight.

Tom

post #44036 of 44037 Unread Yesterday, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^
I did some more testing this evening thinking that it might be a over-heating problem, since the set-up menu would work when cool on start up but would stop working after it had run for a while. After reading how Stew had his ventilation/cooling system for his rack I decided to try an experiment.
I took a small room/desk fan and set it up to help cool the D2v. As usual the menu worked shortly after start up. I set a timer for 30 min and tried to bring up the menu again. It did not come up, but it did come up right after a power cycle. I set the timer for another hour and retried. Again it did not come up then, but did come up immediately after another power cycle. It seems as if the S-video system for the set-up menu is susceptible to overheating, even if the rest of the audio/video functions work fine.

Ben,
this leads me to believe that my unit was not as well ventilated as I thought. I will be rearranging my components to allow better ventilation for the D2v. I would suggest you try this experiment and if you have similar results you may want to adjust your spacing also.

Thanks to Stew for the insight.

Tom
You might want to try sitting the D2v on top of a laptop cooler or place a small silent computer fan behind the unit
post #44037 of 44037 Unread Today, 01:08 AM

Quote:
^
Ben,
Tom
Tom, my D2v3D sits on the top shelf of a 3ft high open rack. There's nothing on that level near it and it is in the direct path of the aircon draft. Sitting on the shelf below it is an Oppo 93, and below that an Oppo 83. The shelves are of 2 inch thick solid walnut. I cannot see how I can improve further on the ventilation in my setup and the unit feels lukewarm even after 2 hours of use. Which leads me to think that ventilation is not the cause .... unless it needs to be seated on top of an ice pack.

Nevertheless, I shall be very interested in the result of your experiments.

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page