Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 1468 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 127Likes

post #44011 of 44612 Old 06-28-2015, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ The workaround is to power cycle the Anthem. That should get your menu back.

There are several, unrelated issues here, all of which should be cured by that. For example, if you leave the Video Source Adjust menu on screen without doing anything -- long enough that it times out -- then you will need to power cycle to get it back.

The Setup menu is an internally generated analog (S-video) source. Evidently the hardware can get in a state where the portion that digitizes analog video for HDMI output doesn't lock on to that analog video.

(In the older D2, it was also possible for the firmware to get zapped so you could not bring up Setup at all -- even after a power cycle. The cure for THAT was to re-install the firmware.)

One last note: If you lose your on-screen info displays (volume and the Select button stuff) after using Video Source Adjust, just hit the Back button one more time. If you look at the Front Panel display you will see it is still showing OSD (on-screen display) even after you dismiss Video Source Adjust. The extra Back cures that.
--Bob

Bob,
Power cycling does not work. At least not as fast as your suggestions imply.
The only thing that works for me is to turn off the D2v long enough for it to cool down. I have tried after a just few minutes and it still won't work. If I wait an hour or so it will work.
This does not affect the on-screen info displays for volume or source display, only the set-up menu.
I have never not been able to pull up the Video Source Adjust menu (pushing and holding #7 ) at any time with either D2 or D2v. This only happens with the main set-up menu (pushing and holding SUB/LFE).
My D2v has plenty of ventilation also.

Tom

"When all else fails, read the manual."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44012 of 44612 Old 06-28-2015, 11:33 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked: 1428
^ If power cycling doesn't work to bring back Setup menu on the D2v (immediately), then the D2v likely needs hardware service.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #44013 of 44612 Old 06-28-2015, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Tom
Is it possible your remote is not working. Especially the old style D2 remotes. They have a high failure rate. I go through 2 a year.
post #44014 of 44612 Old 06-28-2015, 12:17 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ At the very least, you'll want to check with fresh batteries.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #44015 of 44612 Old 06-28-2015, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^ If power cycling doesn't work to bring back Setup menu on the D2v (immediately), then the D2v likely needs hardware service.
--Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
Tom
Is it possible your remote is not working. Especially the old style D2 remotes. They have a high failure rate. I go through 2 a year.

I use a universal remote. It works fine. New batteries. It seems unlikely that I would get 2 units with the same problem due to a hardware failure and only one other person on this site has the same problem.
I will not send my unit back to Anthem for a problem I can work around by using the set-up menu only on start-up or use the front panel display which works for most settings I need to use. It is a 5-6 week turn around for Anthem tech and I am pretty sure they would tell me that there is no problem that they could find.

Bob and Stew (and anyone else),
have you tried accessing your set-up menu after an hour or two's use?? Are you able to get it to come up on your display??

Tom

post #44016 of 44612 Old 06-28-2015, 03:19 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Yes. Or if not (the failure case seems random), a power cycle cures it immediately.
--Bob

post #44017 of 44612 Old 06-28-2015, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^ Yes. Or if not (the failure case seems random), a power cycle cures it immediately.
--Bob
In your set-up, section 3.12, what are your settings for 'main' ??

post #44018 of 44612 Old 06-28-2015, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
I use a universal remote. It works fine. New batteries. It seems unlikely that I would get 2 units with the same problem due to a hardware failure and only one other person on this site has the same problem.
I will not send my unit back to Anthem for a problem I can work around by using the set-up menu only on start-up or use the front panel display which works for most settings I need to use. It is a 5-6 week turn around for Anthem tech and I am pretty sure they would tell me that there is no problem that they could find.

Bob and Stew (and anyone else),
have you tried accessing your set-up menu after an hour or two's use?? Are you able to get it to come up on your display??

Tom
Tom
I have had a D2. Then a D2v and then that was converted to a D2v 3D. I never have had a problem. I can get the OSD display even after the unit has been on for hours or all day.
The unit is mounted into a 19" equipment rack and the temp on a warm summer day is 90 degrees F.
There is cooling air ventilation being drawn in at the bottom and below the D2 that exits out the ceiling of the equipment rack room when the temp exceeds 88 F..
There is something weird about the coincidence of you owning two different units that might just be the key to the problem,
tngiloy likes this.
post #44019 of 44612 Old 06-29-2015, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
.......There is something weird about the coincidence of you owning two different units that might just be the key to the problem,
Tom, I wonder what we both have in common. Like you, both my D2 and D2v/D2v3D exhibit the same symptoms. Both of them were purchased new, and from day 1, the problem was there.

Ben
post #44020 of 44612 Old 06-29-2015, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benleeys View Post
Tom, I wonder what we both have in common. Like you, both my D2 and D2v/D2v3D exhibit the same symptoms. Both of them were purchased new, and from day 1, the problem was there.

Ben

Being from the Denver area, we usually blame weird stuff on the mile high altitude.
Maybe I'll put the D2v on a lower shelf and see if that helps.

Since it really is not a big problem and the unit works perfectly otherwise I'm not going to worry too much about it. Would like to know what others have their video config and display settings (13.1-main) at just to make sure its not something there, although if the settings were wrong I should not get the on screen set-up display at all.

Tom

post #44021 of 44612 Old 06-29-2015, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

^
I did some more testing this evening thinking that it might be a over-heating problem, since the set-up menu would work when cool on start up but would stop working after it had run for a while. After reading how Stew had his ventilation/cooling system for his rack I decided to try an experiment.
I took a small room/desk fan and set it up to help cool the D2v. As usual the menu worked shortly after start up. I set a timer for 30 min and tried to bring up the menu again. It did not come up, but it did come up right after a power cycle. I set the timer for another hour and retried. Again it did not come up then, but did come up immediately after another power cycle. It seems as if the S-video system for the set-up menu is susceptible to overheating, even if the rest of the audio/video functions work fine.

Ben,
this leads me to believe that my unit was not as well ventilated as I thought. I will be rearranging my components to allow better ventilation for the D2v. I would suggest you try this experiment and if you have similar results you may want to adjust your spacing also.

Thanks to Stew for the insight.

Tom

post #44022 of 44612 Old 06-29-2015, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^
I did some more testing this evening thinking that it might be a over-heating problem, since the set-up menu would work when cool on start up but would stop working after it had run for a while. After reading how Stew had his ventilation/cooling system for his rack I decided to try an experiment.
I took a small room/desk fan and set it up to help cool the D2v. As usual the menu worked shortly after start up. I set a timer for 30 min and tried to bring up the menu again. It did not come up, but it did come up right after a power cycle. I set the timer for another hour and retried. Again it did not come up then, but did come up immediately after another power cycle. It seems as if the S-video system for the set-up menu is susceptible to overheating, even if the rest of the audio/video functions work fine.

Ben,
this leads me to believe that my unit was not as well ventilated as I thought. I will be rearranging my components to allow better ventilation for the D2v. I would suggest you try this experiment and if you have similar results you may want to adjust your spacing also.

Thanks to Stew for the insight.

Tom
You might want to try sitting the D2v on top of a laptop cooler or place a small silent computer fan behind the unit
post #44023 of 44612 Old 06-30-2015, 01:08 AM

Quote:
^
Ben,
Tom
Tom, my D2v3D sits on the top shelf of a 3ft high open rack. There's nothing on that level near it and it is in the direct path of the aircon draft. Sitting on the shelf below it is an Oppo 93, and below that an Oppo 83. The shelves are of 2 inch thick solid walnut. The unit feels lukewarm even after 2 hours of use, so I cannot see how I can improve further on the ventilation in my setup. Which leads me to think that ventilation is not the cause .... unless it needs to be seated on top of an ice pack.

Nevertheless, I shall be very interested in the result of your experiments.

Ben

Last edited by benleeys; 06-30-2015 at 01:14 AM.
post #44024 of 44612 Old 07-03-2015, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Looking for a little help, have been slowly switching everything over to MAC and the last thing i have left is ARC, I no it does not run on iOS but i was wondering if anybody has any success running it using a third party piece of software that would let me run ARC on a MAC book pro.
post #44025 of 44612 Old 07-03-2015, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recommend you carefully read the ARC manual. I believe it states that ARC does NOT work with Windows emulation software. I also have a Mac, but I installed bootcamp on it, which means that windows is running on a separate partition just as if it is an actual windows machine.

If my memory is correct, you need to borrow a windows laptop from someone, or reinstall the Mac OS on your your main Mac, and while you do that, create a separate partition for for bootcamp and windows. If you do that, go to the Mac website and read the help files on Bootcamp. I think it only works with Windows 7.
post #44026 of 44612 Old 07-03-2015, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emosewa09 View Post
Recommend you carefully read the ARC manual. I believe it states that ARC does NOT work with Windows emulation software. I also have a Mac, but I installed bootcamp on it, which means that windows is running on a separate partition just as if it is an actual windows machine.

If my memory is correct, you need to borrow a windows laptop from someone, or reinstall the Mac OS on your your main Mac, and while you do that, create a separate partition for for bootcamp and windows. If you do that, go to the Mac website and read the help files on Bootcamp. I think it only works with Windows 7.
I use an older Macbook with bootcamp, running XP.
post #44027 of 44612 Old 07-03-2015, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
That should work unless there is an issue between ARC and XP. XP is very old Windows OS and no longer supported by anyone. The main point is to use bootcamp and not an emulation program.
post #44028 of 44612 Old 07-03-2015, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

Ben

You mentioned you are using the video processor (i.e. not set to Pass Through like me) in the Anthem. What is your Video Output Config?

I wonder if there is something unique about the HDMI format you guys are using. Have you tried different configs (resolution, interlaced, frame rate, RGB/YCbCr, or bit depth) to see if one works better with the Setup menu?

The SETUP menu is supposed to adopt the video output Config of the current source but I have seen it act up (only when using Passthrough though, in which case it is undefined!)

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #44029 of 44612 Old 07-03-2015, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide

Quote:
That should work unless there is an issue between ARC and XP. XP is very old Windows OS and no longer supported by anyone. The main point is to use bootcamp and not an emulation program.

Nothing wrong with XP and lack of so-called support just means less annoying Windows updates

Section 3.15 (p.47) of the Anthem user manual states XP or later (remember ARC is also "old") and a PC with a 9-pin serial port (also old) is ideal.

- AVStefan
post #44030 of 44612 Old 07-04-2015, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
As I noted, I use it. It works fine with XP. I need to use a portable occasionally for a few programs including ARC, and I use my old Macbook/XP for that purpose. If one happens to have access to XP or prefers it over the newer OS's, it works perfectly well and I have no problems with updates to those programs so far. XP of course, no longer gets updates.
post #44031 of 44612 Old 07-05-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
You mentioned you are using the video processor (i.e. not set to Pass Through like me) in the Anthem. What is your Video Output Config?

I wonder if there is something unique about the HDMI format you guys are using. Have you tried different configs (resolution, interlaced, frame rate, RGB/YCbCr, or bit depth) to see if one works better with the Setup menu?

The SETUP menu is supposed to adopt the video output Config of the current source but I have seen it act up (only when using Passthrough though, in which case it is undefined!)
My Video Configs are set with 1080p/60 (DVD), 1080p/24 (BR), YCbCr 444, 12 bit. Since the problem doesn't occur within and hour or so of switching on, I don't believe the problem is caused by any of these settings.
post #44032 of 44612 Old 07-05-2015, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My Video Configs are set with 1080p/60 (DVD), 1080p/24 (BR), YCbCr 444, 12 bit. Since the problem doesn't occur within and hour or so of switching on, I don't believe the problem is caused by any of these settings.
Ben
My own interpretation of what is occurring. Consider that the same situation happened with two different units.
One which I believe was the later design D2v.
This has to be a positional problem.
In other words where you have the unit located must be causing a localized heating of the board or components.
Can you move or reposition the unit at least enough so that you create a different flow of air ? Or another idea if it is shelf mounted raise it up on some small blocks off the shelf ?

Stew
post #44033 of 44612 Old 07-05-2015, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're right it shouldn't matter but we could be dealing with a very strange bug that only manifests due to several compounding factors. I think most people use 8-bit data. There is no reason to complicate things by using 12-bit. Also try 4:2:2.

- AVStefan
post #44034 of 44612 Old 07-06-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Ben
My own interpretation of what is occurring. Consider that the same situation happened with two different units.
One which I believe was the later design D2v.
This has to be a positional problem.
In other words where you have the unit located must be causing a localized heating of the board or components.
Can you move or reposition the unit at least enough so that you create a different flow of air ? Or another idea if it is shelf mounted raise it up on some small blocks off the shelf ?

Stew
Stew,

I did think of this possibility before so I shifted it to the current position. But it made no difference. Let's wait for the result of Tom's experiment.

Ben

Last edited by benleeys; 07-06-2015 at 07:45 AM.
post #44035 of 44612 Old 07-06-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
You're right it shouldn't matter but we could be dealing with a very strange bug that only manifests due to several compounding factors. I think most people use 8-bit data. There is no reason to complicate things by using 12-bit. Also try 4:2:2.
Tried them all, but it made no difference. After so many years, I've given up fiddling and have learnt to live with this anomaly and enjoy what I have.

Ben
post #44036 of 44612 Old 07-06-2015, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Stew,

I did think of this possibility before so I shifted it to the current position. But it made no difference. Let's wait for the result of Tom's experiment.

Ben
I sure would like to see if you raised it up preferably an inch or more and see if it cured the problem.

Stew
post #44037 of 44612 Old 08-04-2015, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Is it just me or is this the quietest I've seen this forum

post #44038 of 44612 Old 08-05-2015, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
Is it just me or is this the quietest I've seen this forum
I was thinking the same thing.
I was going to see if everyone was waiting for the new Anthem D3 they have been showing at private trade functions.
post #44039 of 44612 Old 08-09-2015, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Have an AVM50v (non-3D) running 3.09h that is being underused in a 3.1 setup. When watching 7.1 audio tracks, I get occasional blips of silence. Most recent example was the movie Insurgent dolby atmos 7.1. I've experienced this with other 7.1 audio movies and find I have to switch to my UV/iTunes digital copy of the movie to watch as the other audio options are 5.1 for different languages or have commentary. No trouble with any 5.1 audio options.
post #44040 of 44612 Old 08-09-2015, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 183
^ It could be that the player doesn't fully support seamless branching (contact tech support otherwise). Details:

www.audioholics.com/news/dolby-atmos-old-blu-ray-players
MrKegFlex likes this.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page