post #4381 of 42948 Old 02-28-2007, 09:04 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted W View Post

I assume the D2 does not have this .1 LFE bug I've been reading about...?

This is a very important question, and I wish I felt more confident about the answer.

I pushed on this here with folks who should be able to test and confirm the answer back around the holidays (I don't have the player to do this myself), and the consensus result was that the D2 and AVM-50 do *NOT* suffer from this problem. But I'm not really sure any of the folks responding actually tested the right thing. They may have, but the folks who responded didn't actually spell it out enough for me to be sure.

If the D2 had the problem I would expect more complaints from the folks who populate this thread, but the comments in other threads make it clear that people can confuse themselves into thinking there is no problem here.

--------------------------------------------------

For folks who don't know what we are talking about, see this thread in the Audio Theory forum here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748147

In short, any receiver or pre/pro that handles multi-channel analog audio input via RCA, or multi-channel PCM input via HDMI, should, by default, boost the LFE input signal by 10dB prior to mixing with any other base signals and output to the subwoofer.

Failure to do this will lead to weak bass when listening to multi-channel analog tracks or multi-channel PCM tracks (as from HD-DVD or Blu-Ray players). To fulfill its role as a channel for recording *LOUD* bass (explosions and stuff), the LFE channel is deliberately recorded 10dB low so as to avoid clipping in processing and transmission prior to output. This is by design. It is not a mistake in the audio track or a bug in the player. It is the job of the receiver or pre-pro to boost LFE to get it back to where it is supposed to be prior to output. LFE for Dolby Digital and DTS has worked this way for years.

Boosting total subwoofer output in the receiver or pre-pro is not a proper fix for this since that also incorrectly boosts bass steered to the subwoofer from the main speakers.

The LFE boosting also happens when standard Dolby Digital or DTS is decoded in the receiver or pre/pro, but since that's such a commodity technology EVERYBODY gets that right. The only issue is with LFE on multi-channel analog or multi-channel PCM input.

There ARE a few odd-ball cases where the LFE boost is INCORRECT (see the cited thread), and thus the receiver or pre/pro needs a feature for the user to temporarily *CUT* LFE by 10dB. The D2 and AVM-50 do have that feature -- a temporary cut of JUST the LFE available as a second press under the Subwoofer key on the remote. However that feature only allows LFE to be cut, so it can't be used to boost just LFE to fix the bug at issue here if the D2 or AVM-50 actually have that bug.

The test of whether the D2 or AVM-50 have the bug involves playing the same track via multi-channel PCM over HDMI and also as the compatibility "bitstream" track over HDMI or (optical/coax digital audio cabling) that gets decoded in the D2 as an incoming DTS track. If the D2 or AVM-50 has the bug, bass in the PCM version will be significantly weaker. The effect is not subtle. For correct operation, bass in the two tracks needn't be completely identical, but if the bug is in there the PCM version will be noticeably anemic.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4382 of 42948 Old 02-28-2007, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVESQUE View Post

Pooper.

The D2/AVM50 is REALLY popular and demand is sky high. Anthem are barely able to meet that demand. They sell alot more units then what was expected.

The AVM50/D2 are unique and breakthrough products on the market right now. That combination of world class sound and top notch video processing is unique, and they are really popular with custom installers.

You wouldn't believe how many people I know with high-end rooms and set-ups (and not posting on the internet) that are using the D2 or AVM50. Alot of those made the switch from Lexicon to Anthem in the last year.

Anthem did hit a home-run with the D2/AVM50, and all the other pre/pros manufacturers were totally caught with their pants off.

I believe it. The dealer I got mine from was my first dealing with him, and only because he was the local Anthem dealer. He said he doesn't have to "sell" the D2's, he just takes orders. One thing I believe I knew at one time, but forgot, is that Anthem is Sonic Frontiers (basically).

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #4383 of 42948 Old 02-28-2007, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bob,
You might consider a Logitech Harmony 670 or 880 (depending on budget). They are macro-programmable via a PC and provide USB connection. It is an "activity" based setup that allows easy setup of all of your components for watching TV, watching a movie, or listening to music with the touch of a single button. My wife is a technophobe and i had to come up with a solution that would make it easy for her to use and the Harmony fit the bill. It even has a simple troubleshooting guide that she can work through and get things corrected if a component gets out of sync with the macro's. I have had Zero complaints from her since having the 670. The 880 is a bit nicer with the color display. And the position of the buttons for DVR operation is in a better location than the 670. You can find them cheaper than MSRP. Good luck.
AG
post #4384 of 42948 Old 02-28-2007, 11:59 AM

Thanks, Bob.
post #4385 of 42948 Old 02-28-2007, 12:41 PM

The linked post on audio was good reading, I hadn't seen it before. Using a HD-DVD combo disc on a player might be a good test disc. Use coax out for playing the SD side with DD or DTS and then the HD-DVD side with multichannel (decoded audio) PCM via HDMI or analog. The audio for the same movie should make it easy to hear difference in certain scenes depending on which flavor of video format. From what I read today it looks like the Tosh problems may be sending LFE 20db low only for HD audio, maybe getting mixed up when trying to BM also.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #4386 of 42948 Old 02-28-2007, 12:57 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

The linked post on audio was good reading, I hadn't seen it before. Using a HD-DVD combo disc on a player might be a good test disc. Use coax out for playing the SD side with DD or DTS and then the HD-DVD side with multichannel (decoded audio) PCM via HDMI or analog. The audio for the same movie should make it easy to hear difference in certain scenes depending on which flavor of video format. From what I read today it looks like the Tosh problems may be sending LFE 20db low only for HD audio, maybe getting mixed up when trying to BM also.

larry

A simpler test for a player that can send either PCM or bitstream over HDMI from a given high bandwidth track would be to play the SAME track as full bandwidth PCM and as "core" or "compatibility" bitstream. If there's a bug in the Anthem the bass from the PCM version will be weak.

To be sure no speaker configuration stuff is being done inside the player, lie to the player and tell it all of your speakers are large, all at the same distance, and all at the same volume.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #4387 of 42948 Old 02-28-2007, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bob: I eluded to the fact that the last software that I downloaded (1.11e), seems to give a better picture than previous versions. Is this possible or just my imagination?

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

Click here for pic of my 2 channel system.

post #4388 of 42948 Old 02-28-2007, 02:24 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post

Bob: I eluded to the fact that the last software that I downloaded (1.11e), seems to give a better picture than previous versions. Is this possible or just my imagination?

It is certainly possible, although I haven't seen any changes listed by Anthem that would specifically address this.

I'm convinced that V1.11 gave me better video from my Comcast HD/DVR (connected via HDMI) compared to V1.06 for example. I'm not sure why. HDMI from my standard DVD player does not seem to have changed. It was and is still very good.
--Bob

post #4389 of 42948 Old 02-28-2007, 04:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzzdoc View Post

I'll be happy to, but I'm in the second batch of orders (I presume), so it will be a few weeks at best. Hopefully someone in the first group will beat me to it and provide an answer.

It initially looks like the RS1 will benefit greatly from an external scaler with SD material as there are reports of what looks like a CUE/Scaling issue with 576i (and possibly 480i) signals based on the CINE4Home review and comments from VirusKiller:

post #4390 of 42948 Old 02-28-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

A simpler test for a player that can send either PCM or bitstream over HDMI from a given high bandwidth track would be to play the SAME track as full bandwidth PCM and as "core" or "compatibility" bitstream. If there's a bug in the Anthem the bass from the PCM version will be weak.

To be sure no speaker configuration stuff is being done inside the player, lie to the player and tell it all of your speakers are large, all at the same distance, and all at the same volume.
--Bob

Yes, good point, as long as the "down" conversion to DTS from the DD+ or TrueHD is done properly. The biggest problem seems to be knowing whether or not the player is working correctly.

larry

post #4391 of 42948 Old 02-28-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
It initially looks like the RS1 will benefit greatly from an external scaler with SD material as there are reports of what looks like a CUE/Scaling issue with 576i (and possibly 480i) signals based on the CINE4Home review and comments from VirusKiller:

Many players don't filter ICP for 480i/576i ouptut and some deinterlacers don't also. And from what Stacey says most, if not all, MPEG decoders suffer from ICP to some degree. CUE is an added bonus sometimes.

larry

post #4392 of 42948 Old 02-28-2007, 05:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolstoi View Post

How do you qualify long delay?

like 90-180 seconds to sync. Problem went away going backwards to 1.11e.

It was truye both before and after upgrading the XA2 to firmware 1.3, so the problem was on the Anthem end. I also lost total picture on S3 Tivo, so I just think the f release was not for me

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #4393 of 42948 Old 02-28-2007, 05:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Interesting, and disturbing. Please do let Anthem know that V1.11f might have been a step backwards.
--Bob

Absolutely keep Nick appraised, including stepping back. If we don't tell the support it doesn't get better, and it's a big juggling act to begin with. This is the first release I had to do a roll back on so I was surprised.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #4394 of 42948 Old 02-28-2007, 05:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post

It may be mass hysteria, but I thought I did get a better picture from 11.e also vs prior updates/versions. Strange (but good).

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #4395 of 42948 Old 02-28-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:

As I recall there is a check box in the Setup Editor for whether you want the video settings to be saved as well.

That said, I only use it during software upgrades and I have noticed occassional settings that were not restored correctly. But I've assumed that was due to differences between the old and new software.

If you are playing with this now, perhaps you can check and report. I would consider it a bug if it can't handle the complete set of settings -- including custom video resolution for example -- saved and restored on the same software.
--Bob

An update -

Anthem have confirmed that the Setup Editor is not meant to handle the Video Settings, only the configuration that is set via the setup menu on the OSD. All video settings accessed via "7" (including custom video resolutions) are handled with the Live Video Settings Editor. I today received a new beta release (1.11g) of the Live Video Settings Editor and I am happy to report that it now fetch and save settings for all sources (not only the active source). So, by taking configuration backups from both the Setup Editor and the Live Video Settings Editor we should get a complete configuration backup.

Overall I am very happy with these PC based tools as a means to manipulate and save the complete AVM50/D2 configurations! This is yet another reason I am VERY satisfied with this product!!

Lars Berglund
Plano, TX
post #4396 of 42948 Old 02-28-2007, 07:07 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars158 View Post

An update -

Anthem have confirmed that the Setup Editor is not meant to handle the Video Settings, only the configuration that is set via the setup menu on the OSD. All video settings accessed via "7" (including custom video resolutions) are handled with the Live Video Settings Editor. I today received a new beta release (1.11g) of the Live Video Settings Editor and I am happy to report that it now fetch and save settings for all sources (not only the active source). So, by taking configuration backups from both the Setup Editor and the Live Video Settings Editor we should get a complete configuration backup.

Overall I am very happy with these PC based tools as a means to manipulate and save the complete AVM50/D2 configurations! This is yet another reason I am VERY satisfied with this product!!

Thanks for the update!

I'm glad that they fixed Live Settings Editor to do this correctly, but it's odd that Setup Editor can't do this as well. Setup Editor is described as the tool for moving a configuration from one unit to another, and if it doesn't handle the Video Source Adjust settings then obviously that doesn't work.

Oh well, no big deal so long as folks know they need to use both. Once we get this as a public release of the software we should probably add a link to this info in the links collection in the first post. (LEVESQUE?)

---------------------------------------

Any other info on what V1.11g is supposed to address?
--Bob

post #4397 of 42948 Old 02-28-2007, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:

but it's odd that Setup Editor can't do this as well.
--Bob

Well there are still more Setup Editor problems that I mentioned
before - that I am sure Anthem will fix. We don't need to air
them here.
post #4398 of 42948 Old 03-01-2007, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

An update -

How about when you use the Anthem itself to save user settings? Does that also save the video settings? I know when I upgraded my firmware to 1.11, some of my video settings didn't get saved.
post #4399 of 42948 Old 03-01-2007, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

An update -

Cool.
post #4400 of 42948 Old 03-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Anthem just sent me v1.11g. It contains a fix so that an iPod dock with S-Video OSD will work with it. Haven't tried it with my Velodyne SMS-1 yet though. I'll see if I get some time this weekend to play with it. Anyone else with a Velodyne SMS-1 or DD sub that got 1.11g?
post #4401 of 42948 Old 03-01-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post

Anthem just sent me v1.11g. It contains a fix so that an iPod dock with S-Video OSD will work with it. Haven't tried it with my Velodyne SMS-1 yet though. I'll see if I get some time this weekend to play with it. Anyone else with a Velodyne SMS-1 or DD sub that got 1.11g?

Hi,
I have an SMS-1 how do I get 1.11g?
/\\/\\
post #4402 of 42948 Old 03-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmabuse View Post

Hi,
I have an SMS-1 how do I get 1.11g?
/\\/\\

Contact Anthem tech support. Understand that this is test software so it may have a few surprises.
--Bob

post #4403 of 42948 Old 03-01-2007, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I am sorry if this has been asked , but is the warranty on the D2 transferable?
Thanks

Kaboom.
post #4404 of 42948 Old 03-01-2007, 09:58 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

I am sorry if this has been asked , but is the warranty on the D2 transferable?
Thanks

Anthem's warranty for Canada and the USA is not transferable unless the product is "traded in" to an authorized dealer who then resells it with the remaining warranty.

The complete warranty terms can be found towards the back of the D2 owner's manual, which is available for free download from the Anthem web site.

I don't know if Anthem will make any exceptions if, say, you ask them nicely and it is clear that there are no shenanigans going on. Your safest bet is probably to get an authorized dealer involved in the transaction.
--Bob

post #4405 of 42948 Old 03-01-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:

I was advised by Anthem support today that I likely have a hardware problem, so I have notified my dealer to arrange for an exchange.

Well, as I was waiting for an exchange unit to ship I was contacted by Anthem technical support (Nick) to test yet another software release where an issue had been corrected related to the analog component inputs. He thought this could resolve the problem I had reported where the AVM50/D2 incorrectly detects a 1440x480i frame when feeding a 480i source over component, with a resulting poor picture (jaggies etc). Well, I am happy to report that with the 1.11g release all these issues are resolved!! The AVM50/D2 now correctly detects a 720x480i frame when feeding 480i over component and the resulting picture quality is excellent!!

Thanks to Nick and the technical support team for nailing this issue in just a few days. I must say that the support level on this product is excellent!

Case closed... /LB

Lars Berglund
Plano, TX
post #4406 of 42948 Old 03-01-2007, 11:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

Lars158,
Outstanding! I think they may have found something fundamental here for the analog video inputs. This new software, when it finally becomes available as a public release, should be pretty nifty.
--Bob

post #4407 of 42948 Old 03-02-2007, 09:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Lars158,
Outstanding! I think they may have found something fundamental here for the analog video inputs. This new software, when it finally becomes available as a public release, should be pretty nifty.
--Bob

Actually this could conceivably be huge for some of us............I think of my own situation with the sony 777ES mega changer (400 DVD's) with the Escient box to manage my library of SD DVD's. If the fix truly fixes the resolution with 480i over component to the D2, I could be a very happy camper.

Bob P, how does the current versioning of the software on the site work? Is the 1.11 a or b or f or g????? will their likely be a formal announcement for a full production sanctioned release with say a version 1.12 on the website? I believe that although most of my stuff works with 1.10 that there are now enough fixes and refinements to warrant an upgrade but I think I will wait for a formal announcement unless there won't be one and the current download is quietly substituted with 1.11g.

Any advice????

Peter
post #4408 of 42948 Old 03-02-2007, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine ball View Post

Actually this could conceivably be huge for some of us............I think of my own situation with the sony 777ES mega changer (400 DVD's) with the Escient box to manage my library of SD DVD's. If the fix truly fixes the resolution with 480i over component to the D2, I could be a very happy camper.
Peter

Peter - I run 480i [via component] from a OLD Sony 7700 DVD
Player and I have absolutely NO trouble with my D2, running
vanilla 1.11.

What is the problem you are having?

Hank
post #4409 of 42948 Old 03-02-2007, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

This just means the player they used has CUE issues and the RS-1 doesn't have a CUE filter. They are using the VXP chip but they might not have the feature enabled on the chip or in the menu.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #4410 of 42948 Old 03-02-2007, 10:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Peter - I run 480i [via component] from a OLD Sony 7700 DVD
Player and I have absolutely NO trouble with my D2, running
vanilla 1.11.

What is the problem you are having?

Hank

The Sony 777ES is a 400 DVD megachanger (sort of in the same league as the Pio Elite series, I think). I am controlling it with an Escient box that provides the graphical overlay to manage your library. Sorry Hank, I know you probably already know all this but when I force the Sony to output ONLY 480i by setting a physical switch on the back of the Sony the resulting image is totally distorted and all colours are corrupted. I fixed it By forcing the Sony to output only 480P and at least the result is watchable BUT far from what it could be if the D2 received the raw 480i signal in the first place. This was the case with ver 1.06. I had not tried it again with ver 1.10 because (are you ready for this?) there is about a three hundred foot walk from the front of my equipment rack to the access port on the back.

This is what happens Hank, when you build your home theater FIRST and then add your house as an afterthought. As noted earlier, although ideal and likely every hometheater buffs wetdream a totally separate single purpose Home Theater building can have its disadvantages to the lazy owner who fails to plan on the long walk to go from the front to the rear access port.

Sooooo I have been waiting for a somewhat stable platform release to go back there and unhook all the HDMI cables to do the next upgrade and then change the switch setting on the back of the sony at the same time!!!!!!! I'll bet you are sorry you asked after all this...........

Still your friend........... albeit lazy but loyal,
Peter
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page