Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 1470 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 83Likes
post #44071 of 44096 Old 08-18-2015, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 266
New Anthem AVRs soon. Looking to get into Atmos and DTS:X. As I'm also considering Yamaha and Marantz, what feature distinguishes the Anthems from these other brands to warrant an Anthem purchase?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44072 of 44096 Old 08-18-2015, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitron View Post
new anthem avrs soon. Looking to get into atmos and dts:x. As i'm also considering yamaha and marantz, what feature distinguishes the anthems from these other brands to warrant an anthem purchase?

Anthem Room Correction (ARC)

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #44073 of 44096 Old 08-18-2015, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Excellent point about the pass through of 1080p...I had forgotten that, so it definitely makes sense to run those through the D2 as there is no loss in quality. Only those that aren't 1080P will be double scaled, but I suspect that will be such a rare occurrence that I have a non-1080P source it will not be an issue.

So the question comes, how would you change this if you added a 4K source to the system? That is easy for the Oppo 103D: one HDMI to the TV and second HDMI to the D2. No signal loss there. I guess the only time I'll have a problem is another 4K source in the future that doesn't have a secondary HDMI output.

I'd just love to get a few more years out of my D2...that may not be possible though. I guess I could also look at a different 4K TV that has HDMI output (or something that still passes the PCM and Bitstream signals).

Thanks for your insight! It was really helpful.
post #44074 of 44096 Old 08-18-2015, 06:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
Also the excellent Anthem build quality, support, and they way they integrate so well (ergonomically) into a system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnodgrass View Post
Excellent point about the pass through of 1080p...I had forgotten that, so it definitely makes sense to run those through the D2 as there is no loss in quality. Only those that aren't 1080P will be double scaled, but I suspect that will be such a rare occurrence that I have a non-1080P source it will not be an issue.
Frankly, the double scaling is likely the least of the "problems" you'll have with sub 1080p sources. Also there's a good chance that the Gennum deinterlacer in the Anthem is still better than whatever is in your TV, for things like DVD and 1080i (TV). And maybe the most important question is: Can your source devices all output native resolution without scaling? Most sources you must pick an output resolution and they only output that, regardless of what the source's resolution is.

Quote:
So the question comes, how would you change this if you added a 4K source to the system? That is easy for the Oppo 103D: one HDMI to the TV and second HDMI to the D2. No signal loss there. I guess the only time I'll have a problem is another 4K source in the future that doesn't have a secondary HDMI output.
Yeah, once you start getting 4K sources without dual outputs you're going to have to upgrade your SSP to one with HDMI 2.0, or maybe get a video processor with HDMI 2.0 that can split the audio out for you.

Quote:
I'd just love to get a few more years out of my D2...that may not be possible though. I guess I could also look at a different 4K TV that has HDMI output (or something that still passes the PCM and Bitstream signals).
There's no such thing. See thestewman's post above, TV's aren't allowed to pass audio to another device due to HDCP rules.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #44075 of 44096 Old 08-18-2015, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnodgrass View Post

Thanks for your insight! It was really helpful.
The OPPO 103 is not 4K though it can upscale to 4K. I would only pass the 1080P and let the Samsung do the upscaling. They are supposed to have a good system.
Most new 4K displays only have one HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 input. If you were to get multiple 4K sources a 4K switch that does HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 would eliminate the problem.
post #44076 of 44096 Old 08-18-2015, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Regarding ARC, if doing 5.1.4 Atmos with modules atop fronts and rears, is the microphone aimed at the ceiling just above each module?
post #44077 of 44096 Old 08-18-2015, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
Regarding ARC, if doing 5.1.4 Atmos with modules atop fronts and rears, is the microphone aimed at the ceiling just above each module?

The mic is always aimed at the ceiling above the mic. You're not supposed to aim the mic at different spots.

see also this discussion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswiger View Post
I'd worry more about how the speakers perform over such a wide angle of incidence than I would be concerned about the ARC mike, which should be fairly a decent omnidirectional variant.
(note: click the above link to be taken to the appropriate thread)

- AVStefan

Last edited by AVfile; 08-18-2015 at 11:24 PM.
post #44078 of 44096 Old 08-18-2015, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The mic is always aimed at the ceiling above the mic. You're not supposed to aim the mic at different spots.

see also this discussion:
Can you even do ARC with more than a 7.1 system ?
post #44079 of 44096 Old 08-18-2015, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
Can you even do ARC with more than a 7.1 system ?

He's talking about the new models, not out yet, but here is the answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post
Same ARC 1M mic kit, modified ARC 2 software to support 11.1, wireless connection and new DSP hardware. As well, two speaker profile memories have been added for a total of four to allow, primarily, ceiling speaker vs Dolby-enabled vs no-height comparative demos.

(note: click the above link to be taken to the appropriate thread)

- AVStefan
post #44080 of 44096 Old 08-19-2015, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 261
I'm so excited about the new models coming out. Considering the relatively modest estimated prices of the new models, I can't imagine why anyone would choose any other receiver apart from lacking patience (which, TBH, is a real challenge for me). I've read a few articles on ARC and the post calibration results are amazing (matching the target almost perfectly). I have a question for those that have an Anthem receiver - when you run ARC, can you look at a pre calibration sweep and stop it there? I say this because I'm planning on doing some room treatments so I'm hoping that I can correct my room a bit beforehand and make an easier job for ARC.

Here's a link to one of the articles (which probably many of you have read, but here it is):

http://www.audioholics.com/room-acou...m-eq-interview
post #44081 of 44096 Old 08-19-2015, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 391
What you're looking for is called "Quick Measure". It will just run a quick sweep and show you the result. I think it keeps running it over and over again until you tell it to stop, which is useful, for example, if you want try different subwoofer positions.

Besides that, you can always just run ARC, and then not upload the results.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #44082 of 44096 Old 08-19-2015, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
I'm so excited about the new models coming out. Considering the relatively modest estimated prices of the new models, I can't imagine why anyone would choose any other receiver apart from lacking patience (which, TBH, is a real challenge for me). I've read a few articles on ARC and the post calibration results are amazing (matching the target almost perfectly). I have a question for those that have an Anthem receiver - when you run ARC, can you look at a pre calibration sweep and stop it there? I say this because I'm planning on doing some room treatments so I'm hoping that I can correct my room a bit beforehand and make an easier job for ARC.

Here's a link to one of the articles (which probably many of you have read, but here it is):

http://www.audioholics.com/room-acou...m-eq-interview
Yes to your question. It is called Quick Measure
In response to your other statements patience is going to really be a virtue.
The Anthem Statements are not inexpensive. With a constantly moving technology you would not want to spend 5 to 10 thousand and find out a key piece is suddenly missing. I am sure that is why we do not see a new Anthem Statement currently.
post #44083 of 44096 Old 08-20-2015, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Yes to your question. It is called Quick Measure
In response to your other statements patience is going to really be a virtue.
The Anthem Statements are not inexpensive. With a constantly moving technology you would not want to spend 5 to 10 thousand and find out a key piece is suddenly missing. I am sure that is why we do not see a new Anthem Statement currently.
That's my take on the lack of a Statement prepro in the near future. 4k is still in it's infancy on the consumer side, and the new surround codecs are as well.
thestewman likes this.
post #44084 of 44096 Old 08-20-2015, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Can ARC be added to a D2 or AVM 50 that does not come with it?

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk 1801-TLs, Salk 1801b center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #44085 of 44096 Old 08-20-2015, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Can ARC be added to a D2 or AVM 50 that does not come with it?

Bill
Yes, read here : http://www.anthemav.com/downloads/ARC-1_PDS.pdf
I see several for Anthem Statement AVRs listed on Ebay
post #44086 of 44096 Old 08-20-2015, 12:55 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
^ D2, yes. The necessary hardware is built in. You just need the Windows PC software and the calibrated mic. Anthem should still be selling those kits.

AVM 50, probably not. The DSP hardware needs to be swapped out (in addition to the stuff above), and I don't believe Anthem is still making those DSP upgrade kits.
--Bob
post #44087 of 44096 Old 08-20-2015, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Yes, read here : http://www.anthemav.com/downloads/ARC-1_PDS.pdf
I see several for Anthem Statement AVRs listed on Ebay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ D2, yes. The necessary hardware is built in. You just need the Windows PC software and the calibrated mic. Anthem should still be selling those kits.

AVM 50, probably not. The DSP hardware needs to be swapped out (in addition to the stuff above), and I don't believe Anthem is still making those DSP upgrade kits.
--Bob
Thank you both for your thoughts . I was looking at an AVM 50 on Audiogon but that won't work. I'll be staying with the XMC-1 and Dirac for now as it's a great prepro but does have a few bugs.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk 1801-TLs, Salk 1801b center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #44088 of 44096 Old 08-24-2015, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The bare wire is the ground. You will use that wire for the connectiom. You will ignore either the white or the red wire. But you must use the ground wire.
post #44089 of 44096 Old 08-24-2015, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbanev View Post
On the extension cable, I cut the end off and their is a white wire and a red wire, along with lose copper wires around the jacket. I ignore the power jack on the thumb strip and I tried hooked up the white wire to GND and red to IR1. After that didn't work, I switched the white and red connections. Still no go.

Thanks,
Joe
My previous post was in response to the above.
post #44090 of 44096 Old 08-26-2015, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am considering selling my 3 year old D2V 3D. it is just too complicated for me. What would be a fair price? Original box, 2 remotes, ARC kit. The reason i am thinking of selling is it will not stay hand shaked to a balun that has HDBaseT technology. The balun works fine if I bypass the D2V.
post #44091 of 44096 Old 08-27-2015, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohaiboy View Post
I am considering selling my 3 year old D2V 3D. it is just too complicated for me. What would be a fair price? Original box, 2 remotes, ARC kit. The reason i am thinking of selling is it will not stay hand shaked to a balun that has HDBaseT technology. The balun works fine if I bypass the D2V.
I have a monoprice HD Tbase and it works just fine.If I were you I would change the balun rather than the DV2 3D.It is a superb piece of equipment,unfortunately I hear it may soon become obsolete with the new formats like Dolby Atmos etc.
post #44092 of 44096 Old 08-27-2015, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar75 View Post
 purchasing an Anthem 50v
PM sent
post #44093 of 44096 Old 08-28-2015, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I have a D2 that is about 8 years old, it is starting to give me trouble when i power it on, it just sits with the display saying Anthem D2 Powering On, and doesn't do anything else after about 3 shutdowns and startups finally move off that and recognizes the input that is attached to the HDMI port, never had this before and was wondering if anybody else had experienced this kind of behaviour.
post #44094 of 44096 Old 08-29-2015, 06:29 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
^ Start by disconnecting everything from the D2 -- even the power plug for a bit. Then with just power connected, see if it boots up normally as seen in the Front Panel. If so, you likely had a faulty cable or device connected.

If not, I suggest you reinstall the firmware. There's a way for the original D2 firmware to get corrupted if the power fails, and one symptom of that is that the D2 seems to run in slow motion.

If a firmware re-install (which also means you Reset Factory Defaults) doesn't fix the problem -- still with only power connected -- then the D2 will need hardware service.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 08-29-2015 at 06:30 AM.
post #44095 of 44096 Old 08-30-2015, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 100
If the software installer says it cannot find the D2 (non-v and depending on production date) then erasing flash memory before installing software may help - contact tech support for details.

Noting that the original problem description indicates that the bootup period is unusually long after which the unit remains fairly unresponsive, this condition is not to be confused with a similar-looking one where the unit never gets out of the startup screen. In that case one of two internal fuses may be blown and the cure depends on whether the replacement fuse also blows.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #44096 of 44096 Unread Today, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post
If the software installer says it cannot find the D2 (non-v and depending on production date) then erasing flash memory before installing software may help - contact tech support for details.

Noting that the original problem description indicates that the bootup period is unusually long after which the unit remains fairly unresponsive, this condition is not to be confused with a similar-looking one where the unit never gets out of the startup screen. In that case one of two internal fuses may be blown and the cure depends on whether the replacement fuse also blows.
Bob and Nick

Thanks for the info, the problem occurs if the unit is turned off overnight, the next morning it will take turning it on and off about 3 times and then it will finally move off the "Powering on" screen and finish booting up all the way. If it is just turned on for a few hours it will boot up completely with no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page