Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 1477 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 121Likes

Old 01-16-2016, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ What firmware do you have installed in the D2v? Press Select once on the remote and it will show in the on-screen display.

You should have v3.09 installed in a D2v, or v3.10 installed in a D2v / 3D.
--Bob
Hello again, I just read the part about the v3.10, I must have missed that when it was available, I am currently on v3.09f with my D2v3D, can you tell me the changes from v3.09f to v3.10? I see that v3.09 is the last stable though but if the changes can help me then I am in.

John

Anthem AVM 60, Paradigm Sub 2, Paradigm S8s with C5, Anthem Statement M1 Amps, 174" Curved AT Scope Screen, Epson Pro Cinema LS10000 Laser 3D Projector, Samsung 4K Blu-ray Player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2016, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Dmusoke

Before condemning the unit I would go this route.
Disconnect all input and output, cable TV and radio antenna connections
Leave 1 amp right or left front connected so you can hear any signal
Now with absolutely no input or output ,cable tv or antennas connected do you hear the FM signal ?
If not connect the cable TV coax. Test for FM bleed. None
Now try the radio antenna. Test again
Continue adding an input one at a time
The go to the output connections and finally the amps

By process of elimination you may find the source of the radio signal.
It can take a badly soldered shield or ground to allow a stray signal in and then be modulated.
If you isolate the connection source then try cable replacement with that source.

Let us know
studlygoorite likes this.

Last edited by thestewman; 01-17-2016 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Someone asked recently if there was a summary of useful posts from this thread. I recall that a kind person (Emosewa09) put a sort of "digest" document together a couple years ago, and have linked the following post for your information:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emosewa09 View Post
Those who are new to these pre-pro processors might find the attached Word document to be helpful as you learn how to use your new unit.

I'd like to thank Bob and all of you for the great service that you provide through this forum. You provide invaluable information that is not covered in the D2v manual, and my understanding of the D2v has greatly improved as a result of the comments posted in this thread.

My first step was to read all of the links posted by Bob at the beginning of this thread. But I often wanted to go back and read a specific comment again, but coudn't quickly find it among the long list of the posts. So I copied and pasted almost of the linked posts recommended by Bob, at the start of this thread, into a Word document, which is attached -- and might be helpful to anyone who just purchased one of these pre-pros as I did.

Several caveats. I copied and pasted quickly, and might have missed a post or two. I also did not include the posts about upgrading ARC for those with older units, as that was not of concern to me when I started my copying and pasting. I did include the posts about how to upgrade firmware though. I also tried to differentiate between a posted question and Bob's response by inserting "response," but I might have missed that in a few cases. Finally, I tried to broadly divide the posts between audio and video.

So the bottom line is that I prepared the Word document quickly, and while it might be useful for others, I don't claim I picked up all the posts or pasted correctly.

What is most noteworthy is the sheer length of the document. Using 11 point type, it is 120 pages long. That underscores the number of clarifying posts made by Bob and all of you for the direct benefit of new owners of these processors, such as myself. The amount of information is incredible and it is very comprehensive.

And the credit for those posts goes to Bob and to all of you. All I did was copy and paste without any edits or other comments

The document also underscores the underlying weakness of the D2v manual -- a point I already made to Nick. I initially compared the D2v manual to the Lexicon MC12HD manual. The Lexicon manual is far more comprehensive in how it covers operational issues. Where the D2v manual is really skimpy and inadequate is on ARC and all ARC associated issues, including how to set up one or more subwoofers. Compare the D2v or ARC manual to the coverage of those issues in this forum and in the attached Word document.

Nick responded that some owners wanted a manual that is shorter and easier to understand. Frankly, I doubt that, and believe that most of us would rather have a manual that is more comprehensive rather than less so. After all, the D2v is $9500 at MSRP. Anyone who buys it is looking for a very sophisticated and complex piece of electronics, and wants to have a full understanding of the subtle operation of the unit.

Nick needs to only compare the attached Word document to the manual, and prepare a list of the issues that are not adequately covered by the manual. Frankly, another example of the inadequate manual is provided in my post directly above this one. The manual provides only two sentences -- yes, two brief sentences -- about OSD using HDMI 2 Output. And that sentence is very vague and confusing. That explains why the experts in this forum also apparently did not fully understand how OSD operates. How could they, given the inadequate coverage in the manual?

Nick, again, go through the Word document, especially on ARC, to see areas where the manual could be improved. Alternatively, consider covering the more technical issues in a separate manual or in separate web pages in the support section of the Anthem web site.

<aclass="attachment loginreq" href="/attachments/67547" title="">AVS Recommended Posts on Anthem processors.doc 396k .doc file

I haven't read the attached doc file, but hopefully someone finds it useful.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:03 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by studlygoorite View Post
Hello again, I just read the part about the v3.10, I must have missed that when it was available, I am currently on v3.09f with my D2v3D, can you tell me the changes from v3.09f to v3.10? I see that v3.09 is the last stable though but if the changes can help me then I am in.

John
These are the changes posted by Anthem for firmware after v3.09f and up to v3.10. As a reminder to folks who don't have the 3D upgrade, firmware after Official v3.09 is not approved for that hardware. Use v3.09 for the D2v. Use v3.10 for the D2v / 3D.

"CHANGE LIST

v3.10 release candidate

1. Rotating knob very quickly caused front panel display to freeze - fixed.

v3.09l beta

1. Fixed issue where Dolby Pro Logic IIx Music was not available for 2-channel 24/192 input.

v3.09j beta

1. Fixed serial control issue where Zone 2 had no audio if powering on to tuner.

2. Fixed AVM 50v issue where noise was present when playing 176.4 kHz source.

v3.09h release candidate:

1. When Dolby TrueHD 2-channel source was playing, a surround upmix mode couldn't be selected - fixed.

2. False "No Input Signal" status info when receiving 2-channel input - fixed.

3. "Last Used" mode preset reverted to "None" under certain conditions - fixed.

4. Previous DTS changes now certified."

To me the most important of these is the last line: Firmware v3.10 has passed a new certification by DTS for all the myriad combinations of DTS Bitstream audio. And you've got no idea how bizarre that is!
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 01-17-2016, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
These are the changes posted by Anthem for firmware after v3.09f and up to v3.10. As a reminder to folks who don't have the 3D upgrade, firmware after Official v3.09 is not approved for that hardware. Use v3.09 for the D2v. Use v3.10 for the D2v / 3D.

"CHANGE LIST

v3.10 release candidate

1. Rotating knob very quickly caused front panel display to freeze - fixed.

v3.09l beta

1. Fixed issue where Dolby Pro Logic IIx Music was not available for 2-channel 24/192 input.

v3.09j beta

1. Fixed serial control issue where Zone 2 had no audio if powering on to tuner.

2. Fixed AVM 50v issue where noise was present when playing 176.4 kHz source.

v3.09h release candidate:

1. When Dolby TrueHD 2-channel source was playing, a surround upmix mode couldn't be selected - fixed.

2. False "No Input Signal" status info when receiving 2-channel input - fixed.

3. "Last Used" mode preset reverted to "None" under certain conditions - fixed.

4. Previous DTS changes now certified."

To me the most important of these is the last line: Firmware v3.10 has passed a new certification by DTS for all the myriad combinations of DTS Bitstream audio. And you've got no idea how bizarre that is!
--Bob
Thanks for this Bob

Anthem AVM 60, Paradigm Sub 2, Paradigm S8s with C5, Anthem Statement M1 Amps, 174" Curved AT Scope Screen, Epson Pro Cinema LS10000 Laser 3D Projector, Samsung 4K Blu-ray Player
Old 01-20-2016, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i reloaded the firmware in my D2v and it did NOT fix my TiVo problem
have to keep 1080p unchecked in TiVo

mark
Old 01-20-2016, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anthem amps

Hi
Been researching new amps for my D2v 3D. Considering Anthem A5 and A2. How do these amps do with the D2v 3D? I also have B&W 804n fronts and 805n surrounds and rears, and an HTM center. Also considering Parasound A51 and A21. But am leaning on the A5 and A2 combo because I have the Anthem processor.
Ill be replacing Krell Kav 250a amps.

Thank you
Rob
Old 01-20-2016, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the A5+A2 on my 50v and love it. This setup blew away my previous Lexicon on a simple music concert DVD and that was without even running ARC.
RobDec likes this.

- AVStefan
Old 01-22-2016, 09:25 PM

Hi again
Talked to an A/V salesman, and he told me the Anthem A5 & A2 sound "old and tired". He was pushing the Parasound A51 and A21, and said they are much better than the Anthems. I also was researching online and basically found out you cant go wrong with both brands. However a couple of posts said the Anthems were "bright and thin". I personally was thinking about going with the A5 and A2 because I have the D2v 3D and was thinking I would get more synergy. Im hoping the Anthems will destroy my aging Krell KAV 250
Any input or thoughts would be appreciated.
Thank you
Rob
Old 01-23-2016, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

You need to believe in your ears. Find a dealer who is not pushing "his product of the month" and get a demo to use in your home.
Personally I like the Brystons better than either of the two you are looking at
AVfile likes this.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:41 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Be sure to ask which one "lifts the veil". The answer will be meaningless, but it's fun to watch the sales guy try to remember all his cliches.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 01-23-2016, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^ Be sure to ask which one "lifts the veil". The answer will be meaningless, but it's fun to watch the sales guy try to remember all his cliches.
--Bob
Well put. !
Old 01-23-2016, 08:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 24
Quote:
--Bob

Ha-ha! Good one Bob. I'll use that one in future conversations just to see reactions. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve
Old 01-23-2016, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide

I have Bryston too, on my stereo. They're awesome but much more expensive. I would say the A2 is a touch warmer and better bang for the buck.

The amps with the silver faceplates lift the veil and have more air. The black faceplates gives you a darker, quieter background. The blue LED option sounds cooler; the standard green LED more organic

- AVStefan

Last edited by AVfile; 01-23-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:59 AM

Thanks guys
And LOL Bob and Stefan!

Rob
Old 01-23-2016, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Anthem AVM50/3D or Yamaha CX-A5000. Which one would you choose. Setup is Paradigm Studio 100(v3)/CC690(v5)/ADP590(v5), powered by and Anthem MCA5.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Try a dart board.

In all seriousness go watch the type of videos you watch. 1080p 4k etc. Then carefully listen to each. Check and make sure the features and applications you need are there. Then decide if the cost is in your budget
Old 01-24-2016, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I need help activating the ARC program.

I've reinstalled the program from the disc several times and the message that I get is
"failed to find microphone calibration files for unit no...."

What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Sent you a PM with Sage Advice™.
--Bob

Old 01-24-2016, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Bob,

Thank you
Ed
Old 01-24-2016, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDec View Post
Hi
Been researching new amps for my D2v 3D. Considering Anthem A5 and A2. How do these amps do with the D2v 3D? I also have B&W 804n fronts and 805n surrounds and rears, and an HTM center. Also considering Parasound A51 and A21. But am leaning on the A5 and A2 combo because I have the Anthem processor.
Ill be replacing Krell Kav 250a amps.

Thank you
Rob
Researching amps for the D2v 3D. Consider researching which amps sound good with the brand of speakers you're using too. My research said that B&W speakers sound good with McIntosh. I'm very happy with that combination.

That may be a question for the D2v / D2v3D guys here. Did you, do you, put more weight on the processor/amp combination or amp/speaker combination.

Life is a garden, dig it.
PRO-70X5FD, D2v, Oppo 103, JL Audio f113, Richard Gray 400S, Harmony one

Last edited by bekindrewind; 01-24-2016 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
^ What firmware do you have installed in the D2v? Press Select once on the remote and it will show in the on-screen display.

You should have v3.09 installed in a D2v, or v3.10 installed in a D2v / 3D.
--Bob
Bob, wanted to post a thank you for chimming in on how to fix the problem I had.
I updated the D2v firmware and it fixed the problem.
You so smart.
We're lucky to have you help us.
Cheers.

Life is a garden, dig it.
PRO-70X5FD, D2v, Oppo 103, JL Audio f113, Richard Gray 400S, Harmony one
Old 01-25-2016, 06:13 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Fortunately, my Plan comes with Extra Nights and Weekends Minutes of Fame.

I'm glad the fix was as simple for you as updating the firmware!
--Bob

Old 01-26-2016, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
Try a dart board.

In all seriousness go watch the type of videos you watch. 1080p 4k etc. Then carefully listen to each. Check and make sure the features and applications you need are there. Then decide if the cost is in your budget
Either one would fit the bill. My setup is 5.1/1080p so 4k is irrelevant right now. I can get a 2.5yr old AVM50V 3D for $2300CDn. What you think?
Old 01-26-2016, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin. W View Post
Either one would fit the bill. My setup is 5.1/1080p so 4k is irrelevant right now. I can get a 2.5yr old AVM50V 3D for $2300CDn. What you think?
Sent you two PMs but I can't see that they went through.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

If Anthem was to offer an upgrade to 4K video for the unit like they did for 3D would you buy it?
Old 01-27-2016, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin. W View Post
If Anthem was to offer an upgrade to 4K video for the unit like they did for 3D would you buy it?
I am waiting and would.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:43 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ The question to ask is if you would be satisfied with just 4K "pass through", or would it only make sense if the unit also offered video processing for 4K content?

Keep in mind that in addition to the higher resolution (much more processing power needed), 4K processing is complicated by Wide Color Gamut and High Dynamic Range which comes in several flavors. Video processing would also require the unit to handle the conversion between 4K input and less than 4K output when connected to non-4K displays. (With pass-through, it is the source device that handles that.) Processing 4K video would absolutely require replacing the video board in the unit, not just the HDMI hardware. The video board is the single most expensive piece in the unit.

Then tack on "3D" audio and you've pretty much got a whole new device -- hardware and firmware. The bottom line being that an "upgrade" seems unlikely. At best Anthem would likely offer some sort of subsidized "trade in" plan.

If you are going to go for 4K "pass through" then it would likely have to function like the "through" mode in the D2v/3D today. I.e., *NO* access to video processing or conversion features on either input or output. Which pretty much means what you are paying for is audio quality alone. And as an "upgrade" that would almost certainly mean no "3D" audio support (Atmos, etc.) because there's no real estate left on the back panel for the extra speaker outputs.
--Bob

Old 01-27-2016, 06:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1863 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Keep in mind that in addition to the higher resolution (much more processing power needed), 4K processing is complicated by Wide Color Gamut and High Dynamic Range which comes in several flavors. Video processing would also require the unit to handle the conversion between 4K input and less than 4K output when connected to non-4K displays. (With pass-through, it is the source device that handles that.) Processing 4K video would absolutely require replacing the video board in the unit, not just the HDMI hardware. The video board is the single most expensive piece in the unit.
Yeah, just go look at the cost of a Lumagen Radiance Pro for an idea of what good 4K video processing costs.

Interestingly, I was playing my new Roku 4 and Integral, and when I had the second output send just audio to my AVM50V, it actually displayed 2160p on the display
Old 01-27-2016, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^ The question to ask is if you would be satisfied with just 4K "pass through", or would it only make sense if the unit also offered video processing for 4K content?

Then tack on "3D" audio and you've pretty much got a whole new device -- hardware and firmware. The bottom line being that an "upgrade" seems unlikely. At best Anthem would likely offer some sort of subsidized "trade in" plan.

If you are going to go for 4K "pass through" then it would likely have to function like the "through" mode in the D2v/3D today. I.e., *NO* access to video processing or conversion features on either input or output. Which pretty much means what you are paying for is audio quality alone. And as an "upgrade" that would almost certainly mean no "3D" audio support (Atmos, etc.) because there's no real estate left on the back panel for the extra speaker outputs.
--Bob
I noticed the new MRX-1120 has everything needed for 4K with pre-outs and power, I wonder if this may be the D2v replacement...........

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers