Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 1478 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 96Likes

post #44311 of 44338 Old 01-27-2016, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked: 583
There's an AVM60 that's the AVM50V replacement. HDMI 2.0, Atmos, DTS-X, but no video processor, just passthrough (though it does have an OSD).

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44312 of 44338 Old 01-27-2016, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
There's an AVM60 that's the AVM50V replacement. HDMI 2.0, Atmos, DTS-X, but no video processor, just passthrough (though it does have an OSD).
Wow, I did not know that either, thanks. I need to get out more.

Anthem Statement D2v3D, Paradigm Sub 2, Paradigm S8s with C5, Anthem Statement M1 Amps, 174" Curved AT Scope Screen, Epson Pro Cinema LS10000 Laser 3D Projector
post #44313 of 44338 Old 01-30-2016, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by studlygoorite View Post
Wow, I did not know that either, thanks. I need to get out more.
AVM 50v 3D: $8999CDN
AVM 60: $3499CDN

Makes you wonder what was comprised. Personally I just took ownership of an AVM50v 3D. What a beautiful piece of hardware. Just got to figure out the ARC calibration to finalize my setup.
post #44314 of 44338 Old 01-30-2016, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin. W View Post
AVM 50v 3D: $8999CDN
AVM 60: $3499CDN

Makes you wonder what was comprised. Personally I just took ownership of an AVM50v 3D. What a beautiful piece of hardware. Just got to figure out the ARC calibration to finalize my setup.
Mostly the video processor.
post #44315 of 44338 Old 01-30-2016, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide

That and no longer made in Canada as an analog preamp first.

It's an MRX without amps, better ADC and balanced outputs added.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #44316 of 44338 Old 01-30-2016, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I was wondering if anyone can help me on this issue. Have my computer(its a beast) hooked up to the Anthem via HDMI, which then runs to the tv.

1. When I turn on the computer I'm not able to get a picture on the screen until it gets to the Win 10 login screen, so I am unable to access the BIOS.

2. Playing COD, my audio is cutting in and out. Didn't happen with my Yamaha CX-A5000

Video Card is an AMD FuryX. Audio is via AMD High Def Audio Device
post #44317 of 44338 Old 01-30-2016, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I was wondering if anyone can help me on this issue. Have my computer(its a beast) hooked up to the Anthem via HDMI, which then runs to the tv.

1. When I turn on the computer I'm not able to get a picture on the screen until it gets to the Win 10 login screen, so I am unable to access the BIOS.

2. Playing COD, my audio is cutting in and out. Didn't happen with my Yamaha CX-A5000

Video Card is an AMD FuryX. Audio is via AMD High Def Audio Device
1. This is probably because your bios is set to auto or intergrated graphics as primary GPU, so it doesn't display anything until Fury is detected by os.

Not sure about item 2. If you don't have an issue with the sound when watching a movie then it might be to do with Windows audio settings not being setup correctly for non bitstreamed audio. (e.g. sending out 16bit audio or too high a sampling rate).
post #44318 of 44338 Old 01-31-2016, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
That and no longer made in Canada as an analog preamp first.

It's an MRX without amps, better ADC and balanced outputs added.

Kind of makes you wonder how the AVM60 will stack up against a D2V on the audio side? Is the D2V a product anyone would want to purchase anymore? If a D3 (if we ever see one) doesn't include video processing, what will its price point be?
post #44319 of 44338 Old 02-01-2016, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
In the end the video processing is more important to me than the “3d” audio. But if it’s truly going to be their Flagship processor than it really has to include the Video, and the new 3D audio. There is a significant amount of “legacy” inputs on the back of this unit. But if you are going to rearrange the real-estate on the back of the unit that means redoing established boards, so almost a new unit.

I'd be up for either providing they provide original owners an upgrade "assist"
post #44320 of 44338 Old 02-01-2016, 07:51 AM

In the end the video processing is more important to me than the “3d” audio. But if it’s truly going to be their Flagship processor than it really has to include the Video, and the new 3D audio. There is a significant amount of “legacy” inputs on the back of this unit. But if you are going to rearrange the real-estate on the back of the unit that means redoing established boards, so almost a new unit.

I'd be up for either providing they provide original owners an upgrade "assist"
post #44321 of 44338 Old 02-01-2016, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerard1meehan View Post
In the end the video processing is more important to me than the “3d” audio. But if it’s truly going to be their Flagship processor than it really has to include the Video, and the new 3D audio.
The problem IMO, is that they don't include flagship video processing. That's my biggest gripe with my AVM50V. I was forced to pay an enormous premium for video processing, and it wasn't even flagship-class. Sure they use good components, but video is just not Anthem's forte and it shows. I ended up getting a Lumagen Radiance XE anyway. Despite them using the same Genum chip inside, they're just not remotely on the same level. Not only is the video quality better through the Lumagen, but the features and flexibility just obliterate Anthem's offering.

And on top of all that, the Lumagen was likely cheaper than the video processor surcharge of the 50V.

I'd much rather have a video processor-less Anthem with a Lumagen Radiance Pro than any in-house Anthem video processor.
AVfile likes this.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #44322 of 44338 Old 02-01-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
The problem IMO, is that they don't include flagship video processing. That's my biggest gripe with my AVM50V. I was forced to pay an enormous premium for video processing, and it wasn't even flagship-class. Sure they use good components, but video is just not Anthem's forte and it shows. I ended up getting a Lumagen Radiance XE anyway. Despite them using the same Genum chip inside, they're just not remotely on the same level. Not only is the video quality better through the Lumagen, but the features and flexibility just obliterate Anthem's offering.

And on top of all that, the Lumagen was likely cheaper than the video processor surcharge of the 50V.

I'd much rather have a video processor-less Anthem with a Lumagen Radiance Pro than any in-house Anthem video processor.
An interesting perspective. The processing in the Anthem was, and is better than anything I had experienced in house. But I'm still waiting to upgrade to projection so the Anthem's 'week spots" are not so prevalent to my eyes. (although it would be nice to try the Lumagen!!) I've been putting more resources into my Two Channel sources and the D2V handles those very well IMO.

The tough part is everyone's "silver bullet" is different from the others. It will be interesting what direction they choose to go.
post #44323 of 44338 Old 02-01-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:

An interesting perspective. The processing in the Anthem was, and is better than anything I had experienced in house. But I'm still waiting to upgrade to projection so the Anthem's 'week spots" are not so prevalent to my eyes. (although it would be nice to try the Lumagen!!) I've been putting more resources into my Two Channel sources and the D2V handles those very well IMO.

The tough part is everyone's "silver bullet" is different from the others. It will be interesting what direction they choose to go.
post #44324 of 44338 Old 02-01-2016, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerard1meehan View Post
An interesting perspective. The processing in the Anthem was, and is better than anything I had experienced in house.
Don't get me wrong, it's not bad by any means. That said, I had an AVM 20V2, I upgraded to an AVM50V. The 50V was over $3000 more. Now granted there were new features (ARC, audio decoding), but that's still more expensive than the Radiance XE I later added. Even if we go with just the difference between the AVM50V and AVM 40, that's a price difference of about $2000, which is still more than the cost of a Radiance Mini.

When I added the Lumagen it was a noticable (if subtle) improvement in just the scaling, but then you add all the features of the Lumagen, like 125 point 3D LUT calibration, completely configurable aspect ratio control (no lack of horizontal squeeze, for example) and it's just no contest. To give you an idea, the 50V's video processor manual covers 10 pages, the Lumagen's manual is 48, almost five times the size.

Anthem's video processor settings/configurability is rudimentary at best. If you've just got a 16:9 TV, you probably wouldn't run into these things but when you've got a more advance projection setup (with anamorphic lens and scope screen) you run into walls pretty quickly with what Anthem provides.

I guess what I'm getting at, is if I'm going to pay a $2000+ premium for integrated video processing, it needs to be on par with what I can get externally for a similar cost. I was glad to see the AVM60 doesn't have video processing included for that very reason.
AVfile likes this.

post #44325 of 44338 Old 02-01-2016, 01:56 PM
sfm

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, it's not bad by any means. That said, I had an AVM 20V2, I upgraded to an AVM50V. The 50V was over $3000 more....
I guess what I'm getting at, is if I'm going to pay a $2000+ premium for integrated video processing, it needs to be on par with what I can get externally for a similar cost. I was glad to see the AVM60 doesn't have video processing included for that very reason.
Agreed... I have an AVM 60 on order (to be delivered this week) to replace my aging D2 (originally purchased in 2006)... I recently installed a couple of ceiling speakers so I now have a 5.1.2 speaker configuration in my small dedicated theater and wanted a Atmos capable pre/pro with no video processing (with a price point south of 4K) as I already have a Lumagen 2020 doing all of that work. The Marantz 8802 certainly is a cadidate but its lack of input configuration flexibility (as compared to Anthem designs) just kept me away. Much to my surprise, along came the AVM 60 that fits the bill (at least on paper). Hopefully the audio won't be compromised too much as compared to the D2.
post #44326 of 44338 Old 02-01-2016, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
AVM 40: $3699
AVM 50: $4699

= $1K difference, and the AVM 40 was short-lived because hardly anyone bought it. Eight years later, the AVM 60 has a video processor but since the chip can't upscale to 4K60 it's only used to generate on-screen graphics.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #44327 of 44338 Old 02-01-2016, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfm View Post
Agreed... I have an AVM 60 on order (to be delivered this week) to replace my aging D2 (originally purchased in 2006)...
Yeah, I keep waffling on how bad I want Atmos and if the 60+amplification would really do me any good over an MRX1120 since I run a full Klipsch setup which barely needs any power at al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post
AVM 40: $3699
AVM 50: $4699

= $1K difference, and the AVM 40 was short-lived because hardly anyone bought it. Eight years later, the AVM 60 has a video processor but since the chip can't upscale to 4K60 it's only used to generate on-screen graphics.
Thanks for the info, I was thinking of the 50V which was at least $5999 when I bought it and it's $6499 now. And I assume that since the AVM60's VP isn't used for video that it's not of the same caliber as that in the 50V. Regardless my point stands, I much prefer Anthem to focus on what they do best (Audio) and save me some money to give to someone else who's forte is video (like Lumagen). Absolutely no offense to Anthem, but I don't think Anthem would match a Lumagen Radiance Pro with an integrated video processing solution, there's just no the expertise or motivation there.

post #44328 of 44338 Old 02-03-2016, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDec View Post
Hi
Been researching new amps for my D2v 3D. Considering Anthem A5 and A2. How do these amps do with the D2v 3D? I also have B&W 804n fronts and 805n surrounds and rears, and an HTM center. Also considering Parasound A51 and A21. But am leaning on the A5 and A2 combo because I have the Anthem processor.
Ill be replacing Krell Kav 250a amps.

Thank you
Rob
I had both the A5, A51 and A21 with Studio 100s. The A5 was too bright for me. Preferred the A51 and A21.
post #44329 of 44338 Old 02-03-2016, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks Leeshanok
Ive been going back and forth between the A5 & A2 combo or the A51 & A21. Been given a decent offer for the Parasounds. And I like a warmer sound Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...

Rob
post #44330 of 44338 Old 02-04-2016, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks Leeshanok
Ive been going back and forth between the A5 & A2 combo or the A51 & A21. Been given a decent offer for the Parasounds. And I like a warmer sound Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...

Rob
look into the P-5
It is a powerful beast, driving my hard to drive Revel Salons.
very happy with the choice.
and it is Anthem, so agrees with the other components.
never an easy choice, for certain, with so many options available.
walt
post #44331 of 44338 Old 02-04-2016, 04:16 PM

Thanks yacht422
Id love to get an P5 and P2 combo. I heard some very good things about them, but its over my budget.

Thanks again for the info!
Rob
post #44332 of 44338 Old 02-05-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Thanks yacht422
Id love to get an P5 and P2 combo. I heard some very good things about them, but its over my budget.

Rob
I am using a the P series with my D2v and Signature speakers and since they are the same family they play very well together.

You do see them come up on Audiogon (there is one now along with an A). Perhaps used is a way to go as one of my P2's is a used unit and its great. No worries.
post #44333 of 44338 Old 02-05-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks yacht422

Rob
I am using a the P series with my D2v and Signature speakers and since they are the same family they play very well together.

You do see them come up on Audiogon (there is one now along with an A). Perhaps used is a way to go as one of my P2's is a used unit and its great. No worries.
post #44334 of 44338 Old 02-05-2016, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I just picked up a used Anthem D2 for my 5.1 mancave / office. This is first Anthem product, I've wanted one for a while.

I haven't run ARC yet. Just basic manual test tones. Want to make sure my four sources work first. PS3 slim (DVD1 input) and Apple TV (TV1 input) connect fine via HDMI.

Have the following setup issues:
1) Trigger 1 turned on my Emotiva UPA500 fine when I first put the D2 in my system (with the previous owner's settings). After I loaded Factory Defaults (13e), I selected enable trigger. But none of the 3 now switch on my Emotiva amp

2) Oppo 981H doesn't seem to have any sound or video via HDMI. I have the D2 video at 1080P (60 fps), as my Samsung Plasma is 1080P (3D..I only watch in 2D). There is sound via Coax to the CD input.

3) HTPC is not recognizing the D2 as a "monitor". It had no problems with two previous prepros the past year or so: Emotiva UMC1 and later Onkyo SC5508.

Thanks!
Rick

LIVING ROOM (Atmos 7.2.4): Marantz 7702 prepro & 7055 amp, Emotiva UPA700 amp, NHT Classic 3 mains, 3C center, 8 Focal Sib speakers, NHT B12 12" sub, Earthquake 15" sub, Panasonic 65VT50 plasma, Oppo 103, Roku 3

MAN CAVE (5.1): Anthem D2 prepro, Emotiva UPA500 amp, 3 Focal Solo6 Be (LCR), Focal Sib rears, NHT U1 12" sub, Samsung PN60F5500 plasma, HTPC, PS3 Slim, Oppo 981, Apple TV
post #44335 of 44338 Old 02-05-2016, 08:02 PM

Thanks Gerard
Im going to have to think about a used amp. I generally just deal with new products. Thank you for the Heads-up!
Rob
post #44336 of 44338 Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Have a question about ARC. Before I run it do I set my Speaker Size, crossover and distance before running?

On the video side I have a OLED should I pick 4:4:4 or 4:2:2
post #44337 of 44338 Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Have a question about ARC. Before I run it do I set my Speaker Size, crossover and distance before running?

On the video side I have a OLED should I pick 4:4:4 or 4:2:2
ARC will pick speaker size and crossovers based on the test results, you just have to set the distances after it finishes. If you have a serious subwoofer, you may want to set it to Flat in the Targets.

You should look at your TV thread for the colour space question, just send it what it likes to minimize conversions.

Last edited by MitchPope; Yesterday at 12:26 PM.
post #44338 of 44338 Old Today, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 148
So I can't seem to get my TiVo (roamio pro) and apple TV (2nd generation) to play nice with a D2v.

The meny on the apple TV works fine, but anytime I try to watch contect.....it displays the spinning gear icon and nothing loads. If I change inputs to TV (tivo), it seems its also forced my tivo to reboot. Even if I disconnect the tivo hdmi cable, still cant get the apple TV to play anything.

I've disablked ARC & CEC from all my stuff, and have tried differrent HDMI ports and cables.....same issue.

Everything works dine if I connect it back to a MRX 710.

Pretty sure its a handshake issue, but I cant seem to fix it. Any suggestions?

Salk Speakers. Deep Sea Sounds Subwoofer. Mastiff Dog
My Living Room HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page