Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 1483 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 124Likes

post #44461 of 44573 Old 05-02-2016, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrinch View Post
I have attached a pic of the sub settings... it might be a bit dark, so the settings are as follows:

variable low pass filter = just below 95
variable phase alignment = 0
variable high pass filter = just above 95
I suggest you set the sub low pass filter to 180 or all the way right and the high pass filter to all the way left (max) or 40.
Then I would redo ARC.

Last edited by thestewman; 05-03-2016 at 07:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44462 of 44573 Old 05-02-2016, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi guys been awhile since my last post, being running a 5.1 setup for awhile now and decided on going back to a 7.1 setup. Decided to introduce some Tripole's (New purchase Klipsch Rs62 Ii) and use them as the surrounds and the JTR Direct speakers (Slanted 8's) for back channels. My mains are JTR Triple 8's and running a single Seaton Submersive with the HP amp upgrade. Ran ARC and here are the results. Tested some BD's and the sound is excellent . Really happy with it and I have increased the gain to 2.5 and changed the sub to Flat under advanced setting and like what I'm hearing. The graphs are before adding more gain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Graph 1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	613.8 KB
ID:	1419850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Graph 2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	605.2 KB
ID:	1419874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Targets.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	620.4 KB
ID:	1419882  

Last edited by SimonNo10; 05-03-2016 at 04:57 AM.
post #44463 of 44573 Old 05-03-2016, 06:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1989 Post(s)
Liked: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
I suggest you set the sub low pass filter to 40 or all the way left and the high pass filter to all the way right (max) or 180.
Then I would redo ARC.
Shouldn't it be the other way around? Lowpass filter (passes frequencies below) should be set as high as possible, and Highpass filter (passes frequencies above) should be set as low as possible.
post #44464 of 44573 Old 05-03-2016, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Shouldn't it be the other way around? Lowpass filter (passes frequencies below) should be set as high as possible, and Highpass filter (passes frequencies above) should be set as low as possible.
I was incorrect. Thanks for catching it. I edited my quote above to reflect the changes.
post #44465 of 44573 Old 05-03-2016, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Long time viewer of this thread. Excellent info over the years!

I just replaced my front three speakers and decided to re-run ARC. Take a look and let me know if all looks well.

Did the following prior to running ARC.

1. Save user settings.
2. Reset to Factory Default
3. Load user settings.
4. Set all speakers to zero and balanced to 75db with spl meter
5. ARC based on five microphone position

Anthem 50v firmware v3.09j
MrGrinch I think I found the problem with your ARC sub performance

It was noted I made a error in my posting about setting the high and low pass filters.
My concern how I did this centered around the fact his sub had both a high and low pass control. Unusual for a sub. I checked further and found the manufacturer Definitive Technology has implemented a different kind of connection setup which centers round passing the signal through the sub and controlling your main speakers.

The following are the technical specifications for his sub:

Low-Level High-Pass Filter 12 dB/octave continuously variable(40 – 150 Hz)
Speaker Level High-Pass Filter 6 dB/octave (80 Hz)
Low-Level Low-Pass Filter 24 dB/octave continuously variable (40 – 150 Hz) plus unfiltered LFE direct coupled input

Manufacturers notes:

Low Pass Filter
Your subwoofer’s back panel features a continuously variable low pass filter.
This filter is continuously variable between 40 and 150 Hz. It rolls off the high frequency response of your subwoofer.
This low pass filter control is used to obtain the optimum transition between the subwoofer and your main speakers. We receive many questions from subwoofer owners asking us where to set the filter controls in a variety of different setups. Although many people think that there is a specific frequency at which to set the controls in their system, this can only be determined by you. Experimentation is recommended (due to system placement and subjectivevariables) to obtain the best sound for you.

High Pass Filter
Your subwoofer is equipped with a continuously variable high pass filter which is
used when you wire the low-level inputs of your subwoofer to a full-range signal
and the low-level outputs of your subwoofer to the left and right channel inputs of your amplifier. [See Diagram 3.] When hooked up thusly, it allows you to vary the low-frequency roll-off of your main speakers. This control only works using the low-level inputs and outputs.

What I found is in your photo of your existing connections you have the Anthem sub output connected directly to the LFE input.

I suggest you obtain a female input/double male output Y cable connector and connect the Anthem Sub 1 output to the subs low level inputs. Then set the low level control to its highest setting 140hz. The high pass control will not be activated or used

Now rerun ARC and post your charts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Def tech S ub.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1420298  
post #44466 of 44573 Old 05-03-2016, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
High Pass Filter
Your subwoofer is equipped with a continuously variable high pass filter which is
used when you wire the low-level inputs of your subwoofer to a full-range signal
and the low-level outputs of your subwoofer to the left and right channel inputs of your amplifier. [See Diagram 3.] When hooked up thusly, it allows you to vary the low-frequency roll-off of your main speakers. This control only works using the low-level inputs and outputs.
Is that a typo? That says (according to the figure) that the High Pass filter only works on the RCA inputs. I suspect (hope?) they meant to say "high-level inputs", ie the speaker inputs.
post #44467 of 44573 Old 05-03-2016, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is that a typo? That says (according to the figure) that the High Pass filter only works on the RCA inputs. I suspect (hope?) they meant to say "high-level inputs", ie the speaker inputs.
That is what Def Tech says

https://www.definitivetech.com/downl...12909_read.pdf

They seem to have a different method of connecting their sub.
Check Diag #3
post #44468 of 44573 Old 05-03-2016, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

From that, it sounds like the LFE input is the one you'd want to use with an Anthem:

Quote:
You can feed the mono or LFE subwoofer output of your receiver or decoder to the LFE input on the subwoofer and achieve full performance. [ See Diagram 1. ] Usually, these outputs have their own low-pass filter built into the circuit, and if this is the case, you would normally input them into the LFE input. The LFE inputs on your SuperCube subwoofer are direct coupled inputs which arenot affected by the subwoofer’s low-pass filter or low-pass crossover control.
I would assume the High-pass filter would be bypassed as well, it reads like it only applies to the high level outputs.
post #44469 of 44573 Old 05-03-2016, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
From that, it sounds like the LFE input is the one you'd want to use with an Anthem:

I would assume the High-pass filter would be bypassed as well, it reads like it only applies to the high level outputs.
Good point.
Since they are direct coupled and bypass the low pass filter the LFE input will work.
post #44470 of 44573 Old 05-03-2016, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 40
thestewman and stranger89.....among others, just wanted to say it's very nice of you to take the time to help people the way you do.

Anthem AVM 60, Paradigm Sub 2, Paradigm S8s with C5, Anthem Statement M1 Amps, 174" Curved AT Scope Screen, Epson Pro Cinema LS10000 Laser 3D Projector, Samsung 4K Blu-ray Player
post #44471 of 44573 Old 05-03-2016, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
MrGrinch I think I found the problem with your ARC sub performance

It was noted I made a error in my posting about setting the high and low pass filters.
My concern how I did this centered around the fact his sub had both a high and low pass control. Unusual for a sub. I checked further and found the manufacturer Definitive Technology has implemented a different kind of connection setup which centers round passing the signal through the sub and controlling your main speakers.

The following are the technical specifications for his sub:

Low-Level High-Pass Filter 12 dB/octave continuously variable(40 – 150 Hz)
Speaker Level High-Pass Filter 6 dB/octave (80 Hz)
Low-Level Low-Pass Filter 24 dB/octave continuously variable (40 – 150 Hz) plus unfiltered LFE direct coupled input

Manufacturers notes:

Low Pass Filter
Your subwoofer’s back panel features a continuously variable low pass filter.
This filter is continuously variable between 40 and 150 Hz. It rolls off the high frequency response of your subwoofer.
This low pass filter control is used to obtain the optimum transition between the subwoofer and your main speakers. We receive many questions from subwoofer owners asking us where to set the filter controls in a variety of different setups. Although many people think that there is a specific frequency at which to set the controls in their system, this can only be determined by you. Experimentation is recommended (due to system placement and subjectivevariables) to obtain the best sound for you.

High Pass Filter

What I found is in your photo of your existing connections you have the Anthem sub output connected directly to the LFE input.

I suggest you obtain a female input/double male output Y cable connector and connect the Anthem Sub 1 output to the subs low level inputs. Then set the low level control to its highest setting 140hz. The high pass control will not be activated or used

Now rerun ARC and post your charts.
I agree with the incredible response on this post!

I did happen to run ARC again prior to reading the y cable suggestion.

Low Pass Crossover = 40
Phase Alignment = 0
High Pass Crossover = 150

Attached the results.... let me know if it still makes sense to try the y cable suggestion.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cap1.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	1421602   Click image for larger version

Name:	cap2.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	1421610  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B&W 804-D3, B&W HTM2-D3, B&W 685, Def Tech Supercube Ref, Anthem 50v, Rotel RMB-1095, Oppo 103D, Sony VPL-HW40ES
post #44472 of 44573 Old 05-03-2016, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I suggest you set the sub low pass filter to 180 or all the way right and the high pass filter to all the way left (max) or 40.
Then I would redo ARC.
Quote:
I agree with the incredible response on this post!

I did happen to run ARC again prior to reading the y cable suggestion.

Low Pass Crossover = 40
Phase Alignment = 0
High Pass Crossover = 150

Attached the results.... let me know if it still makes sense to try the y cable suggestion.
I know its complicated. If you still have the Anthem Sub 1 output connected to your subs LFE input the low pass and high pass sub settings are bypassed so it does not matter where they are positioned and you can disregard the y cable.

The sub graph shows the sub output is still pretty narrow.

Post your targets so we can make some additional changes.
You will not have to rerun ARC.
Compare the attached graph. I know we cannot duplicate it but anything near it is what would be ideal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sub.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1421746  
post #44473 of 44573 Old 05-03-2016, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 12
ARC and/or PBK

Hi
Looking to get a new sub, to replace my 13 year old Velodyne DD15. I favoring the Paradigm Prestige 2000SW. Should I just use ARC on my D2v 3D or use the PBK? Or both?
Also how does the 2000SW go with my processor? I have heard nothing but good things about it!

Thanks for any responses!

Rob
post #44474 of 44573 Old 05-04-2016, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDec View Post
Hi
Looking to get a new sub, to replace my 13 year old Velodyne DD15. I favoring the Paradigm Prestige 2000SW. Should I just use ARC on my D2v 3D or use the PBK? Or both?
Also how does the 2000SW go with my processor? I have heard nothing but good things about it!

Thanks for any responses!

Rob
As far as I know run PBK and then ARC

Anthem AVM 60, Paradigm Sub 2, Paradigm S8s with C5, Anthem Statement M1 Amps, 174" Curved AT Scope Screen, Epson Pro Cinema LS10000 Laser 3D Projector, Samsung 4K Blu-ray Player
post #44475 of 44573 Old 05-04-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I know its complicated. If you still have the Anthem Sub 1 output connected to your subs LFE input the low pass and high pass sub settings are bypassed so it does not matter where they are positioned and you can disregard the y cable.

The sub graph shows the sub output is still pretty narrow.

Post your targets so we can make some additional changes.
You will not have to rerun ARC.
Compare the attached graph. I know we cannot duplicate it but anything near it is what would be ideal.
Here are the targets...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cap3.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1423610  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B&W 804-D3, B&W HTM2-D3, B&W 685, Def Tech Supercube Ref, Anthem 50v, Rotel RMB-1095, Oppo 103D, Sony VPL-HW40ES
post #44476 of 44573 Old 05-04-2016, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

Your results are fine. Since we went digital 15+ years ago all you need is the LFE input. The other inputs, outputs and associated filters are for analog stereo systems.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #44477 of 44573 Old 05-04-2016, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Here are the targets...
Those settings do not look correct.
Please describe the speaker make and models you are using.
The surrounds should not have a cutoff of 110hz and the sub 85hz.
We can manually adjust it properly but I wonder why this occurred.

Please double check your connections to and from each speaker.
Especially the surrounds and sub.
post #44478 of 44573 Old 05-05-2016, 02:32 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone want to comment on my ARC results post was 44476. Thanks in advance.
post #44479 of 44573 Old 05-05-2016, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Well it seems my D2v is not playing nice. Recently found out the HDMI-out #1 board has an intermittent problem of video going out. I'm using the HDMI-out #2 port, no problems with that port.

I've had the unit out of the chain recently to try a replacement processor and receiver. Yesterday when I put the Dv2 back in, my speakers sound muddy. Loss of high's. None of the setting in the D2v have changed, that I noticed. (Sounds muddy on all sources, dvd, blu-ray, Tivo)

Confirmed it's not the Mcintosh amp nor the speakers, for the Denon receiver and the Marantz processor I'm trying in place of the D2v, speakers sound fine.

Is there some way to do a reset by turning the unit off, unplug, holding some buttons on the unit or remote when powering back on that will clear everything? A factory reset by chance?
I'm optimistic that may clear up the problem.

Thoughts?
post #44480 of 44573 Old 05-05-2016, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post
Well it seems my D2v is not playing nice. Recently found out the HDMI-out #1 board has an intermittent problem of video going out. I'm using the HDMI-out #2 port, no problems with that port.

I've had the unit out of the chain recently to try a replacement processor and receiver. Yesterday when I put the Dv2 back in, my speakers sound muddy. Loss of high's. None of the setting in the D2v have changed, that I noticed. (Sounds muddy on all sources, dvd, blu-ray, Tivo)

Confirmed it's not the Mcintosh amp nor the speakers, for the Denon receiver and the Marantz processor I'm trying in place of the D2v, speakers sound fine.

Is there some way to do a reset by turning the unit off, unplug, holding some buttons on the unit or remote when powering back on that will clear everything? A factory reset by chance?

Thoughts?
Anthem Setup

Hopefully you have saved the USERS Settings previously
If not you should Save Users Settings
Then Load Default Savings and then Reload Load Users Settings
i believe using HDMI2 you will not have on screen display of settings.

Last edited by thestewman; 05-05-2016 at 12:30 PM.
post #44481 of 44573 Old 05-05-2016, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Anthem Setup
i believe using HDMI2 you will not have on screen display of settings.
No, you will indeed...I use a little 7 inch monitor via HDMI2 out to a little monitor in my rack itself, and the Setup menus and settings appear there just fine. You just don't get OSD.
post #44482 of 44573 Old 05-05-2016, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithAPlan View Post
No, you will indeed...I use a little 7 inch monitor via HDMI2 out to a little monitor in my rack itself, and the Setup menus and settings appear there just fine. You just don't get OSD.
I have never used the HDMI 2 output connector
So, I clearly understand.
Pressing and holding the Sub/LFE button until Setup appears works.
Pressing the Select button for the OSD does not work
post #44483 of 44573 Old 05-05-2016, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
I have never used the HDMI 2 output connector
So, I clearly understand.
Pressing and holding the Sub/LFE button until Setup appears works.
Pressing the Select button for the OSD does not work
Correct.
post #44484 of 44573 Old 05-05-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Those settings do not look correct.
Please describe the speaker make and models you are using.
The surrounds should not have a cutoff of 110hz and the sub 85hz.
We can manually adjust it properly but I wonder why this occurred.

Please double check your connections to and from each speaker.
Especially the surrounds and sub.
Double checked the connections and all look good.

Front - B&W 804 D3
Center - B&W HTM2 D3
Surr - B&W 685 S2

post #44485 of 44573 Old 05-05-2016, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Front - B&W 804 D3
Center - B&W HTM2 D3
Surr - B&W 685 S2
You posted this previously
Did the following prior to running ARC.

1. Save user settings.
2. Reset to Factory Default
3. Load user settings.
4. Set all speakers to zero and balanced to 75db with spl meter
5. ARC based on five microphone position

The speakers should all be set to zero and only the Left Front speaker is set to 75db.
ARC sets the levels as the test progresses
You do have to set the sub level at the sub not in the setup.
I don't have the answer why ARC set your speakers incorrectly. The B&W's have an excellent frequency response range and the surrounds should not have a cutoff of 110hz and the sub 85hz.

Three choices

Do nothing and continue to listen with the system crippled response.

Rerun ARC and as ARC runs make sure the speakers are being tested in exactly this order.
Starting with the Left Front, Center, Right Front, Right Surround, Left Surround and the Sub. Exactly in that order. If the previous test was in error maybe this test will be OK.

My Recommendation as a test

Connect your ARC USB cable to the Anthem
Open the ARC program.
Select Manual or Existing file
Open your previous ARC file.
Select Target
Set the cutoff's as follows

Fronts 40
Center 50
Surrounds 60
Sub 120
Go to the advanced tab
Set Sub High Pass Order to FLAT
Calculate if it looks good Upload
Do this. Go to file and SAVE AS with a different file name. Then you will have your original targets to go back to if it does not sound good.
Post your graphs and listen to your system
Hope I didn't forget anything
MrGrinch likes this.
post #44486 of 44573 Old 05-05-2016, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post

Thoughts?

Make sure you haven't accidentally engaged the tone controls. They should be set to bypassed.

It's also possible your ARC solution has become corrupted. Try re-uploading it from your saved session on your computer. No need to go through the whole measurement process unless your have moved speakers or furniture. As a quick check turn off ROOM EQ for the source you are using to test. Even with NO ARC it should be a great sounding preamp.

- AVStefan
post #44487 of 44573 Old 05-05-2016, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonNo10 View Post
Anyone want to comment on my ARC results post was 44476. Thanks in advance.

I've never seen ARC set room gain that low (0.8). The algorithm must have recognized the solid response of your sub because it ended up giving the mains a break below 100Hz. You could push the fronts a bit lower if you wanted but the sub is probably doing a better job filling in the bass.

The HF looks solid out to 10k and maybe even 20k for those new Klipsch tripoles. Is the right rear in a corner by the way?

ARC appears to have also tamed a nasty midrange peak in your Center.

You will definitely prefer the sound if this system with ARC ON and using the sub at all times.

- AVStefan
post #44488 of 44573 Old 05-05-2016, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Front - B&W 804 D3

Center - B&W HTM2 D3

Surr - B&W 685 S2

Check your crossovers in the SETUP menu and compare them to the "Response cutoffs" in the ARC Targets window. Did ARC set the crossover frequencies much differently than the values in the ARC Targets window? This is entirely possible, as the note in the middle of the window reminds us, the two sets of parameters have different meanings. Let us know the actual crossover values.

Looking at the red measurement lines, the bass seems very peaky for your 685's (relatively small speakers). I'm guessing they are close to the walls. If the green target lines are to be believed, ARC made aggressive reductions in the bass peaks despite the seemingly high EQ cutoff value of 85Hz, which is good news but somewhat surprising.

However I would be more concerned with the drop above 5 kHz in most of your green target lines, which is where ARC stops working by default. You should try raising it to 10 kHz. Assuming your measurements were valid (mic positioned correctly and pointed straight up at the ceiling) open your last saved ARC session. Set the Max EQ frequency to 10000 under your Music Config in the Targets window and then re-Calculate. Make sure you select to view the Music charts and compare them to the Movie charts. If they look good or interesting enough to try, just re-Upload. Once uploaded setup another source to use the Music EQ (with all other settings being equal to your Movie source) and you will have two ARC solutions at your fingertips.
MrGrinch likes this.

- AVStefan

Last edited by AVfile; 05-06-2016 at 06:46 AM.
post #44489 of 44573 Old 05-06-2016, 02:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
I've never seen ARC set room gain that low (0.8). The algorithm must have recognized the solid response of your sub because it ended up giving the mains a break below 100Hz. You could push the fronts a bit lower if you wanted but the sub is probably doing a better job filling in the bass.

The HF looks solid out to 10k and maybe even 20k for those new Klipsch tripoles. Is the right rear in a corner by the way?

ARC appears to have also tamed a nasty midrange peak in your Center.

You will definitely prefer the sound if this system with ARC ON and using the sub at all times.
Thanks for the feedback. You are correct that the Right Rear is in a corner near curtains and a window. I have a few room treatments on the side walls as well as diffusor panels on the ceiling (Had a professional company do room measurements and installed the panels), but that was when I had 2 submersives and not running a 7.1 system.
AVfile likes this.
post #44490 of 44573 Old 05-06-2016, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 55
4k workaround?
I don't believe the D2v can currently be upgraded to 4k.
Any rumors on that?
Using a 2 HDMI out 4k blu-ray is a work around.
What about streaming devices?
If streaming 4k from the tv, the tv's digital output is limited to lower quality digital formats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page