Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 1486 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 121Likes

post #44551 of 44574 Old 06-11-2016, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
We changed the sub input going under the assumption as Anthem states they send low freq sub signal and LFE whereas the LFE input is not setup for both.
The LFE input is direct with no filters and doesn't care if the signal also contains redirected bass. It is the correct input to use for a dedicated sub channel unless it is broken.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.

Last edited by AVfile; 06-11-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44552 of 44574 Old 06-18-2016, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Looks like I am jumping on the 4K system. LG just came out with a great looking 65 TV. I have loved my AVM-50V and all these great guys helping me over the years. I just don't see needing this type of unit. I asked Anthem if it will be able to be upgraded, they said no.

What are some of you other guys going to do? There has to be something with the quality of Anthem that does 4k and amazing sound.
post #44553 of 44574 Old 06-18-2016, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1863 Post(s)
Liked: 814
I sold my AVM50V and amp and got an MRX1120. I haven't noticed any change in audio quality.
post #44554 of 44574 Old 06-18-2016, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by budeone View Post
Looks like I am jumping on the 4K system. LG just came out with a great looking 65 TV. I have loved my AVM-50V and all these great guys helping me over the years. I just don't see needing this type of unit. I asked Anthem if it will be able to be upgraded, they said no.

What are some of you other guys going to do? There has to be something with the quality of Anthem that does 4k and amazing sound.
If there is such a unit no one has been talking about it.
The Anthem AVM 60 is as good as you can get and should equal your AVM50 though I am not aware that anyone has said the sound is as good as a D2v.
If you like your AVM50 why not continue to use it by running 2 HDMI cables. One direct to your display and the other to the Anthem for sound.
budeone likes this.
post #44555 of 44574 Old 06-18-2016, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If there is such a unit no one has been talking about it.
The Anthem AVM 60 is as good as you can get and should equal your AVM50 though I am not aware that anyone has said the sound is as good as a D2v.
If you like your AVM50 why not continue to use it by running 2 HDMI cables. One direct to your display and the other to the Anthem for sound.
I have to read about this 60. I just pulled it up. It looks like I will get the sound I love from Anthem and 4k will just pass right through it. The only thing it does not do is video processing. This cool.. Thanks thestewman
post #44556 of 44574 Old 06-18-2016, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have to read about this 60. I just pulled it up. It looks like I will get the sound I love from Anthem and 4k will just pass right through it. The only thing it does not do is video processing. This cool.. Thanks thestewman
Just a quick heads up most of the new units do not do video processing. It is one of the things the units become "old" with right away as the technology is progressing so fast.
Again your AVM50 can be used. I watch 4k with my D2v by bypassing the video direct to m 4k display and I am not giving anything away except the new multichannel audio formats.
post #44557 of 44574 Old 06-27-2016, 07:34 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Best charts yet and the sub should sound even better now.
How does it sound with various media ?
At this point I am very pleased with the results.

Music (CD, Vinyl or Squeezebox) sounds incredible!

Movies (Oppo 103d) take some 'effort' at times. Volume levels can range from -25 to -10 depending on material.

Any reason to change sub targets in advanced from Auto to Flat?

Or

MUSIC config with Max EQ Freq=10000?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B&W 804-D3, B&W HTM2-D3, B&W 685, Def Tech Supercube Ref, Anthem 50v, Rotel RMB-1095, Oppo 103D, Sony VPL-HW40ES
post #44558 of 44574 Old 06-27-2016, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrinch View Post
At this point I am very pleased with the results.

Music (CD, Vinyl or Squeezebox) sounds incredible!

Movies (Oppo 103d) take some 'effort' at times. Volume levels can range from -25 to -10 depending on material.

Any reason to change sub targets in advanced from Auto to Flat?

Or

MUSIC config with Max EQ Freq=10000?
I think not. The sub chart looks good and the sub is doing all it can without over driving it.
I don't agree in bumping the Max freq to more than 5 khz. It is not recommended by Anthem or the ARC designers as the microphone was not designed for it
The displayed volume levels are relative and vary from source to source or the media being played. Use any sound level that appeals to you but don't damage your speakers or your ears.
Enjoy the sounds your hearing

Last edited by thestewman; 06-27-2016 at 07:50 PM.
post #44559 of 44574 Old 06-28-2016, 11:06 AM
sfm

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I've been running a D2 for nearly 10 years... but I wanted to support 4K (down the road) and have recently installed a 7.1.4 atmos speaker setup in our theater so I needed to "upgrade". I went with a AVM60 and haven't looked back. While I was not able to A/B between the D2/AVM60 properly from an audio standpoint the material that I am very familiar with sounds, to my ears, very much the same as it did before. The lack of video processing in the AVM60 (well, it does process but only enough to support the OSD) I actually like as I have a Lumagen (haven't used the D2 video for years). I did compare the video from "source -> Lumagen -> Projector" to "source -> Lumagen -> AVM60 -> Projector" and couldn't detect any difference indicating that the AVM60 is, for all intents and purposes, transparent. So I am now using "source -> AVM60 -> Lumagen -> Projector" for my video chain and have my pre/pro OSD back (which I was only able to view previously by switching projector inputs).
AVfile likes this.
post #44560 of 44574 Old 07-01-2016, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfm View Post
I've been running a D2 for nearly 10 years... but I wanted to support 4K (down the road) and have recently installed a 7.1.4 atmos speaker setup in our theater so I needed to "upgrade". I went with a AVM60 and haven't looked back. While I was not able to A/B between the D2/AVM60 properly from an audio standpoint the material that I am very familiar with sounds, to my ears, very much the same as it did before. The lack of video processing in the AVM60 (well, it does process but only enough to support the OSD) I actually like as I have a Lumagen (haven't used the D2 video for years). I did compare the video from "source -> Lumagen -> Projector" to "source -> Lumagen -> AVM60 -> Projector" and couldn't detect any difference indicating that the AVM60 is, for all intents and purposes, transparent. So I am now using "source -> AVM60 -> Lumagen -> Projector" for my video chain and have my pre/pro OSD back (which I was only able to view previously by switching projector inputs).
I am a former D2 owner and had not visited this thread in a while. When I read your post, I agreed that AVM 60 + Lumagen looks like a good solution at probably half the cost. Congrats!
post #44561 of 44574 Old 07-06-2016, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

I am selling my AVM-50

Anthem Avm50-v

If anybody is interested. Its time to move on.
post #44562 of 44574 Old 07-08-2016, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 192
ARC-1 question:
Is there anyway to get the Anthem Mic to work on a Windows 10 PC with only USB 3.0 ports?

I had an MRX520 briefly with Arc 1M and it worked completely fine on my Windows 10 PC (Asus Maximus Gene VIII motherboard with only USB 3.0 ports) but had to sell for money and just purchased a used MRX 700. No issues at all communicating with the receiver using a Keyspan adapter, but no matter what I do I cannot get Windows to recognize the microphone. It either shows up as Arc 1M, tARC AN, or Generic Audio Device all with an exclamation mark due to a Code 10 error ('This device will not start"). If I try to manually force it to update the driver using the driver file from the ARC installation software, it tells me the driver is up to date. Tried disabling all other audio drivers and restarting the PC, no go. I even just tried a USB 2.0 motherboard PCI card but the microphone still gives an error under device manager (this time Code 43, "Windows has stopped this device due to an error").

I tried my fiancee's laptop, which also has Windows 10 and only USB 3.0 ports and it is the same exact issue as above. I even tried installing the ARC 1M software to see if it's drivers (which worked with the Anthem microphone that came in my now sold MRX520) would fix the issue and it doesn't. No matter what I do the microphone will not work (seller, who is very reputable, assured me microphone worked fine for him with no issues on Windows 7). My fiancee has an old Windows 8 laptop but forgot the password so I need to reset it and than will try if the mic works on at least Windows 8 with USB 2.0 ports.

In the meantime, is there a known issue with ARC-1 on Windows 10 and/or USB 3.0 that is not fixable?
Would getting a cheap USB 2.0 hub work (I have heard it fixes issues with older USB devices that have trouble working on USB 3.0 ports)?

Thanks!
post #44563 of 44574 Old 07-08-2016, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
ARC-1 question:
Is there anyway to get the Anthem Mic to work on a Windows 10 PC with only USB 3.0 ports?

I had an MRX520 briefly with Arc 1M and it worked completely fine on my Windows 10 PC (Asus Maximus Gene VIII motherboard with only USB 3.0 ports) but had to sell for money and just purchased a used MRX 700. No issues at all communicating with the receiver using a Keyspan adapter, but no matter what I do I cannot get Windows to recognize the microphone. It either shows up as Arc 1M, tARC AN, or Generic Audio Device all with an exclamation mark due to a Code 10 error ('This device will not start"). If I try to manually force it to update the driver using the driver file from the ARC installation software, it tells me the driver is up to date. Tried disabling all other audio drivers and restarting the PC, no go. I even just tried a USB 2.0 motherboard PCI card but the microphone still gives an error under device manager (this time Code 43, "Windows has stopped this device due to an error").

I tried my fiancee's laptop, which also has Windows 10 and only USB 3.0 ports and it is the same exact issue as above. I even tried installing the ARC 1M software to see if it's drivers (which worked with the Anthem microphone that came in my now sold MRX520) would fix the issue and it doesn't. No matter what I do the microphone will not work (seller, who is very reputable, assured me microphone worked fine for him with no issues on Windows 7). My fiancee has an old Windows 8 laptop but forgot the password so I need to reset it and than will try if the mic works on at least Windows 8 with USB 2.0 ports.

In the meantime, is there a known issue with ARC-1 on Windows 10 and/or USB 3.0 that is not fixable?
Would getting a cheap USB 2.0 hub work (I have heard it fixes issues with older USB devices that have trouble working on USB 3.0 ports)?

Thanks!
I have an MRX700 and use windows 10 too. I tried a usb 2.0 hub but it didn't work, but the usb 2.0 ports on the MS Surface pro 3 docking station do work.

You sure your motherboard doesn't have any usb 2.0 ports? I have the Asus Maximus VIII Hero motherboard and it has 2 x usb 2.0 ports under the keyboard/mouse ps2 port.

Also make sure you uninstall the ARC M1 microphone driver and delete it from your system as it may be messing things up.

Sent from my LG-D802T using Tapatalk
post #44564 of 44574 Old 07-08-2016, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apgood View Post
I have an MRX700 and use windows 10 too. I tried a usb 2.0 hub but it didn't work, but the usb 2.0 ports on the MS Surface pro 3 docking station do work.

You sure your motherboard doesn't have any usb 2.0 ports? I have the Asus Maximus VIII Hero motherboard and it has 2 x usb 2.0 ports under the keyboard/mouse ps2 port.

Also make sure you uninstall the ARC M1 microphone driver and delete it from your system as it may be messing things up.

Absolutely no USB 2.0 ports on my motherboard. It has USB 2.0 headers on the motherboard itself but when I tried using them with an add on USB 2.0 controller it still didn't work probably due to the fact that those USB 2.0 headers still run off the Intel USB 3.0 driver/software.

And all of the previous drivers were uninstalled.

About to try my fiancée's Windows 8 laptop.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #44565 of 44574 Old 07-08-2016, 07:24 PM

Checked the ASUS website and see what you mean.

So even the usb 2.0 motherboard headers don't work? That's a bit strange.

Sounds like I'm lucky that the ARC mic detects properly on the Surface Pro docking station.

By the way I've been told it is only the ARC mics that have a serial number that starts with 2 that have this problem, so if you can get it to work on the old laptop an option is to contact Anthem about buying a new ARC microphone that works with usb 3, but no idea how much they cost.

post #44566 of 44574 Old 07-08-2016, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

It has to be the mic itself. Wouldn't work at all on the Windows 8 laptop. So I even pulled out an old old old Windows Vista desktop tower PC and no go on that either.

Going to email Anthem and see how much a replacement will cost. And check eBay.
post #44567 of 44574 Old 07-08-2016, 09:27 PM

Man that bites

post #44568 of 44574 Old 07-08-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
It has to be the mic itself. Wouldn't work at all on the Windows 8 laptop. So I even pulled out an old old old Windows Vista desktop tower PC and no go on that either.

Found this one on ebay and mic serial number starts with a 3 based on what I've read previously it should work with a USB3.0 port, but Anthem support should be able to confirm this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-in-Box-A...4AAOSwhOVXdDau
post #44569 of 44574 Old 07-09-2016, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apgood View Post
Found this one on ebay and mic serial number starts with a 3 based on what I've read previously it should work with a USB3.0 port, but Anthem support should be able to confirm this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-in-Box-A...4AAOSwhOVXdDau
I found another one with a '3' serial # that's cheaper, also new in box.

Before I pull the trigger...an ARC 1M kit will work just fine too, right? If I go to the support section of Anthem, a microphone serial # works for both ARC-1 and ARC-1M downloads and the mic calibration file for both downloads is identical. As far as I can tell, if I get an ARC-1M kit and use the mic cal file from it with the ARC-1 software there shouldn't be any issues.

I ask because I have a local Anthem/Paradigm dealer who may have a 1M kit I can pick up today (waiting until they open to call) which would be easiest and allow a quick return if it doesn't work.

Thanks!
post #44570 of 44574 Old 07-09-2016, 05:35 AM

Quote:
I found another one with a '3' serial # that's cheaper, also new in box.

Before I pull the trigger...an ARC 1M kit will work just fine too, right? If I go to the support section of Anthem, a microphone serial # works for both ARC-1 and ARC-1M downloads and the mic calibration file for both downloads is identical. As far as I can tell, if I get an ARC-1M kit and use the mic cal file from it with the ARC-1 software there shouldn't be any issues.

I ask because I have a local Anthem/Paradigm dealer who may have a 1M kit I can pick up today (waiting until they open to call) which would be easiest and allow a quick return if it doesn't work.

Thanks!
Don't know I would call Anthem to check before buying an ARC 1M kit.

post #44571 of 44574 Old 07-09-2016, 06:27 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 1331
Quote:

Could be the USB cable has gotten damaged. Try another USB cable.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #44572 of 44574 Old 07-09-2016, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Could be the USB cable has gotten damaged. Try another USB cable.
--Bob
I did

I have a small collection of USB cables and none made a difference but they all worked fine with the Keyspan adapter/MRX 700 interface.

I got a good enough deal on this MRX700 so I don't mind spending a little more on a new ARC kit. Will give it a try.
post #44573 of 44574 Old 07-11-2016, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Just got a response from Anthem while at the same time trying an ARC-1M kit my local dealer lent me: any microphone with Serial # 312000 or higher "should do the trick" for Windows 10/USB 3.0 support. I also confirmed that getting an ARC-1M kit and using the calibration file with the ARC-1 software also works just fine. A replacement mic can be ordered from Anthem for $69 plus shipping.

Looks like I am set to go.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #44574 of 44574 Old 07-11-2016, 06:39 PM

That's great news!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors