Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 1487 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 124Likes

post #44581 of 44589 Old 08-27-2016, 08:54 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
What type of cord do I need to buy to run ARC1M? The cord that comes with the AVM 60 kit is really really short and won't even reach a couple of feet into my room more less to all the seats?

Do I just need a USB extension cord or is there a specific type of cord I need to buy?

Thanks all
Alex
There are two cables used to run ARC for the D2v. First is the mic cable which is a long USB cable with a regular USB jack for the computer end and a mini USB jack for the mic end. That should have come with your kit. It is about 20 feet long as I recall.

The other is an RS232 serial cable that runs between the computer and the RS232 port on the back of the D2v. Since most computers these days do not have RS232 ports anymore Anthem has been including a USB to serial adapter which may be the short cable you are talking about. Plug the USB end of that into your computer and run a serial cable from the other end of the adapter to the RS232 port on the back of the D2v. The serial cable Anthem provides is about 6 feet long, so perhaps that's the cable you are referring to.

If you need to buy the serial cable, be sure you get one that is a "straight through" cable -- i.e., pins 1-9 at one end connected to pins 1-9 at the other end. Do not confuse it with the identical looking cable -- sometimes identified as a "null modem" cable -- which swaps one pair of those pins.

If you need to buy the USB mic cable, get a good quality USB cable with the correct plugs on each end.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44582 of 44589 Old 08-27-2016, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
There are two cables used to run ARC for the D2v. First is the mic cable which is a long USB cable with a regular USB jack for the computer end and a mini USB jack for the mic end. That should have come with your kit. It is about 20 feet long as I recall.

The other is an RS232 serial cable that runs between the computer and the RS232 port on the back of the D2v. Since most computers these days do not have RS232 ports anymore Anthem has been including a USB to serial adapter which may be the short cable you are talking about. Plug the USB end of that into your computer and run a serial cable from the other end of the adapter to the RS232 port on the back of the D2v. The serial cable Anthem provides is about 6 feet long, so perhaps that's the cable you are referring to.

If you need to buy the serial cable, be sure you get one that is a "straight through" cable -- i.e., pins 1-9 at one end connected to pins 1-9 at the other end. Do not confuse it with the identical looking cable -- sometimes identified as a "null modem" cable -- which swaps one pair of those pins.

If you need to buy the USB mic cable, get a good quality USB cable with the correct plugs on each end.
--Bob
Oh. I see now. No I was talking about the mic usb cable but I thought it plugged into the PrePro which made its length of 12' nowhere near long enough to reach from my exterior rack room to the theater. Need about 25-30' to reach all seats from rack. But if I just hook the mic up to a computer that changes everything. I didn't bother reading instructions since didn't have time to calibrate and test it out. Was either listen to it or calibrate and listening sounded much better.

Is it Mac compatible? That's all we have is MacBook. So just need to calibrate mic through Mac and then hook up Mac to AVM 60.
post #44583 of 44589 Old 08-27-2016, 10:07 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Oh. I see now. No I was talking about the mic usb cable but I thought it plugged into the PrePro which made its length of 12' nowhere near long enough to reach from my exterior rack room to the theater. Need about 25-30' to reach all seats from rack. But if I just hook the mic up to a computer that changes everything. I didn't bother reading instructions since didn't have time to calibrate and test it out. Was either listen to it or calibrate and listening sounded much better.

Is it Mac compatible? That's all we have is MacBook. So just need to calibrate mic through Mac and then hook up Mac to AVM 60.
The ARC setup software is a Windows program. So it won't run directly on the Mac.

If you don't want to buy or borrow a Windows computer, you can get Parallels Desktop 12 for the Mac, and then use a Windows 10 install disc to create a Windows 10 environment in Parallels. I.e., you'll have Windows running in a window on the Mac. You'll have to buy Parallels, and a full (not upgrade) Windows 10 install disc.

Are you talking about an AVM 60 or a D2v? (This being the D2v thread.) The newer ARC software for the AVM 60 connects to it over the network rather than via serial cable. Once you've got Ethernet or Wifi networking running on the AVM 60 (and on Windows), the ARC software for the AVM 60 (running on Windows) will be able to find it on the network and communicate with it that way during ARC Measurement and Upload. So that means you'll only need the USB cable between the computer and the mic. No serial cable.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #44584 of 44589 Old 08-27-2016, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The ARC setup software is a Windows program. So it won't run directly on the Mac.

If you don't want to buy or borrow a Windows computer, you can get Parallels Desktop 12 for the Mac, and then use a Windows 10 install disc to create a Windows 10 environment in Parallels. I.e., you'll have Windows running in a window on the Mac. You'll have to buy Parallels, and a full (not upgrade) Windows 10 install disc.

Are you talking about an AVM 60 or a D2v? (This being the D2v thread.) The newer ARC software for the AVM 60 connects to it over the network rather than via serial cable. Once you've got Ethernet or Wifi networking running on the AVM 60 (and on Windows), the ARC software for the AVM 60 (running on Windows) will be able to find it on the network and communicate with it that way during ARC Measurement and Upload. So that means you'll only need the USB cable between the computer and the mic. No serial cable.
--Bob
AVM 60. That's why I cross posted. I saw this with ARC so posted here too as well as the 60 thread.

Oh well I won't ever have a Windows network per se but can buy a tablet if that will work. I have all Apple networking airports and extenders etc... That might explain why it couldn't connect to my network manually or automatically even though it saw the network.

This Mac change over has been great except with audio modeling programs and equipment but yet most professionals say Mac is the best for most studio stuff. And now even schools are teaching with Mac instead of Windows but yet many many basic programs aren't compatible. Ughh. I like the change but don't now after a few months. A cheap tablet will be very helpful I guess.

Last edited by audiovideoholic; 08-27-2016 at 10:26 AM.
post #44585 of 44589 Old 08-27-2016, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

What about android tablets? Any way to do anything with say the Sony tablet that came with my VW1100es?
post #44586 of 44589 Old 08-27-2016, 10:31 AM
Read the FAQ!

The AVM 60 works just fine with Apple Airport Wifi hardware (or Ethernet from an Apple AirPort Extreme acting as your router). I have one set up that way.

Wifi for the AVM 60 gets set up using the DTS Play-Fi app (e.g., their iOS app). For Ethernet you just plug in the cable. You need to unplug the Ethernet cable if you want to switch later to Wifi.
--Bob
post #44587 of 44589 Old 08-27-2016, 10:34 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
What about android tablets? Any way to do anything with say the Sony tablet that came with my VW1100es?
ARC for the AVM 60 runs on Windows. Only.

I believe DTS also has an Android version of their Play-Fi app.
--Bob
post #44588 of 44589 Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
^^ Doubleroll,

Fujitsu would recommend you use 1360x768p even though that means losing a 3 pixel wide strip on each side. Why?

16:9 content has an aspect ratio of 16/9 = 1.77777... But if you do the math, 1366/768 = 1.77864, which is slightly wider.

To get a 16:9 shape that's 1366 pixels wide you'd need 1366*9/16 = 768.375 rows. Which means the 16:9 content you are displaying is going to be squished vertically by a tiny amount during scaling since there are only 768 rows available. Small scaling changes like this are how you get scaling artifacts.

Meanwhile 1360/768 = 1.7708, which is slightly narrower.

To get a 16:9 shape that's 1360 pixels wide you'd need 1360*9/16 = exactly 765 rows. Displayed on a 1366x768 panel, that's exactly 16:9 so long as you don't use 3 pixels on either side and also don't use 3 rows vertically -- for example 2 on the top and 1 on the bottom.

When you send 1360x768 to the Fujitsu it will automatically center it horizontally in its 1366x768 pixel matrix -- which gets you those narrow strips unused left and right.

But what about the difference between 765 rows (your desired result) and 768 rows (the output going to the Fujitsu)?

For THAT what you do is set Scale Out = Pillar Box in the D2v's Video Source Adjust menu! The scaling in the D2v will then turn 1920x1080 content into 1360x765 (i.e., preserving the 16:9 aspect ratio) but padded with 2 additional black lines on top and 1 on the bottom to make 1360x768 output. The D2v provides the black lines top and bottom, and the Fujitsu provides the black strips left and right and you are left with perfect, 16:9 content on the display.

You set the output resolution just once (in the Video Output Configuration menu). But the Scaling has to be selected separately for each of your Source definitions in the D2v. I.e., there's a separate Video Source Adjust menu for each Source and you'll want to specify Scale Out = Pillar Box in each of them by selecting that Source for viewing and then doing Press and Hold on the "7" button to bring up its Video Source Adjust Menu.

Adjusting the Scale Out like this for each Source is tweaking for improving your image -- you don't need to do it up front. But what you should probably do up front is selecting 1360x768p output from the D2v to begin with, instead of 1366x768p.

--------------------------------------------

You should use DVI (i.e., an HDMI to DVI cable) from the D2v to the Fujitsu. Not Component.

The D2v will not convert HDMI input to Component output.

--Bob

Bob you are truly a wealth of knowledge! Thank you for the excellent tips!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #44589 of 44589 Old Today, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I apologize if this has been asked before, but a search didn't turn anything up.

Is it possible to convert the Anthem .cal file into a text file that Room EQ Wizard can understand? I'd like to try using the ARC microphone that came with my unit to calibrate a different setup (my 2-channel in another room).

Thanks,

- Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers