Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 1495 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 158Likes

post #44821 of 44837 Old 04-06-2017, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 151
OK, got it now. Is there a simple way to switch between movie and music modes using the remote w/o having to go through the setup screen?

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44822 of 44837 Old 04-06-2017, 03:59 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Liked: 3543
^ The easiest way is just to set up two identical entries in Setup > Source Setup with one using Movie and the other using Music.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #44823 of 44837 Old 04-09-2017, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Finally fixed my EDID issue. A BIOS setting change was in order to make my Intel GPU the "primary" GPU. Once I did that, the D2 shows up as an audio device and the PC and D2 actually connect fine even if I change sources. It does stop playback on Roon when I do so, but that's a very minor thing compared to having to unplug HDMI from the nVidia GPU, plug into onboard HDMI, wait for the D2 to "sync" and then move the HDMI cable back to the nVidia GPU for playback. Otherwise, no ill effects.
AVfile likes this.

post #44824 of 44837 Old 04-17-2017, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm toying with the idea of finally replacing my AVM 50 (upgraded with ARC) that has served me well for the last nine years. It's in a living room 5.1 system that will remain that way. I have no need for immersive audio or additional channels. Any lossless decoding can be done from an incoming Oppo 203.

I have a very attractive trade in offer from a dealer who is a member here on another manufacturer's processor. I'm only interested in a potential improvement in sound (which I know is somewhat subjective).

Are the DACs in the Oppo superior to the old ones in the Anthem? It seems to me that it would make sense to run analog from the Oppo then set the Anthem to Analog/DSP to utilize ARC. Also, the 203 could eventually migrate downstairs and be replaced by the yet to be released Oppo 205.

Or.......

Replace the AVM 50 with an AVM 60 or another processor.

So, to Bob P. and all, any opinions?
post #44825 of 44837 Old Yesterday, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyflag View Post

I am not Bob but I am an Anthem Owner.

The Anthem Brand will always sound better.

My VOTE is the AVM 60.

The reason the dealer is giving you a better deal on a Non-Anthem
product is because that is the only way they can entice you to buy
something LESS.
post #44826 of 44837 Old Yesterday, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
I am not Bob but I am an Anthem Owner.

The Anthem Brand will always sound better.

My VOTE is the AVM 60.

The reason the dealer is giving you a better deal on a Non-Anthem
product is because that is the only way they can entice you to buy
something LESS.
Thanks! Do you or anyone else have any experience with using the analog inputs of a AVM 50 with any of the Oppos? I'm reluctant to give it up unless there's a significant improvement with the AVM 60. The only Anthem dealers in my area that I've contacted are custom install guys and don't appear to be interested in trades. There's always the classifieds....
post #44827 of 44837 Old Yesterday, 07:51 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
I'm toying with the idea of finally replacing my AVM 50 (upgraded with ARC) that has served me well for the last nine years. It's in a living room 5.1 system that will remain that way. I have no need for immersive audio or additional channels. Any lossless decoding can be done from an incoming Oppo 203.

I have a very attractive trade in offer from a dealer who is a member here on another manufacturer's processor. I'm only interested in a potential improvement in sound (which I know is somewhat subjective).

Are the DACs in the Oppo superior to the old ones in the Anthem? It seems to me that it would make sense to run analog from the Oppo then set the Anthem to Analog/DSP to utilize ARC. Also, the 203 could eventually migrate downstairs and be replaced by the yet to be released Oppo 205.

Or.......

If you want to go the all-Analog route, you should look at the OPPO UDP-205 instead of the 203. Details on the 205 are evidently coming out this week with first ship by month's end. The expected difference in the 205 vs the 203 will be an improved Analog output stage -- much as with the OPPO 105 vs. 103.

However, I think you should think seriously about what you are giving up if you move away from Anthem Room Correction. Take a look at your ARC charts and see how much correction ARC is doing in your room. If it is substantial, you won't have that in an all-Analog solution -- i.e., without an AVR or pre-pro that re-digitizes the Analog input so it can be processed for Room Correction.

Now, you can achieve improved results in all-Analog by doing room treatments in your listening room -- primarily targeted at addressing room bass response issues. But that's a good deal more complicated than letting ARC do it. In addition, since it is your living room, you may not appreciate the aesthetics of what room treatments do to that room.

If you are going to use ARC, you should probably stick with HDMI audio -- HDMI LPCM into your existing AVM 50, or HDMI Bitstream into, say an AVM 60. You might also want to check into an AVM 50v or D2v. That avoids the step of re-digitizing the Analog input so it can be processed.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #44828 of 44837 Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
If you want to go the all-Analog route, you should look at the OPPO UDP-205 instead of the 203. Details on the 205 are evidently coming out this week with first ship by month's end. The expected difference in the 205 vs the 203 will be an improved Analog output stage -- much as with the OPPO 105 vs. 103.

However, I think you should think seriously about what you are giving up if you move away from Anthem Room Correction. Take a look at your ARC charts and see how much correction ARC is doing in your room. If it is substantial, you won't have that in an all-Analog solution -- i.e., without an AVR or pre-pro that re-digitizes the Analog input so it can be processed for Room Correction.

Now, you can achieve improved results in all-Analog by doing room treatments in your listening room -- primarily targeted at addressing room bass response issues. But that's a good deal more complicated than letting ARC do it. In addition, since it is your living room, you may not appreciate the aesthetics of what room treatments do to that room.

If you are going to use ARC, you should probably stick with HDMI audio -- HDMI LPCM into your existing AVM 50, or HDMI Bitstream into, say an AVM 60. You might also want to check into an AVM 50v or D2v. That avoids the step of re-digitizing the Analog input so it can be processed.
--Bob
Bob, your expertise is always appreciated! Does redigitizing the analog signal to utilize ARC defeat the purpose of using analog in the first place? I may look for a used D2V or 50V also. Besides lossless decoding, what have you experienced comparing a 50 to a 50V? Even with the search function it will take hours looking through this thread. I've seen the comparison sheet on The Anthem site as well.

I have a 203 on order BTW.

Glenn
post #44829 of 44837 Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Bob, your expertise is always appreciated! Does redigitizing the analog signal to utilize ARC defeat the purpose of using analog in the first place? I may look for a used D2V or 50V also. Besides lossless decoding, what have you experienced comparing a 50 to a 50V? Even with the search function it will take hours looking through this thread. I've seen the comparison sheet on The Anthem site as well.

I have a 203 on order BTW.

Glenn
It doesn't defeat it. Analog sources should sound very good. But since you've got digital content and a digital way to transmit it over HDMI, there's not really much to gain by converting to Analog, then re-digitizing for processing, then converting back to Analog again.

I've never used a 50 or 50v. When I moved from my D2 to the D2v I was not expecting an improvement in audio, and was quite surprised to find there was an easy to hear audio improvement (for LPCM formats they could both handle).
--Bob

post #44830 of 44837 Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM
Read the FAQ!

By the way, OPPO just now put up their product page for the new, UDP-205 UHD player:

http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-2...-Overview.aspx

--Bob
joydevivre likes this.

post #44831 of 44837 Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM

Of course! My 203 arrives tomorrow. As I understand that I've got a case of upgraditis, I have to remember that I have a dedicated 2 channel system for music. I actually had a high end dealer who carries Anthem tell me that I was better off keeping what I have unless I wanted to upgrade to a $10k+ processor.

If I'm going to use HDMI for movies, TV, and multi-channel SACD, the variable would be the processor, no?

However, at least two dealers want to sell me power cords....
post #44832 of 44837 Old Today, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am curious if there are any D2v users who run analog sources via AnaologDSP vs AnaolgDIR.

I have been flipping between the two for my turntable and able to do it on the fly with interesting results. I wanted to know if others utilize this or not. I have done it with ARC on, and off where I am just using the unit’s internal digital crossovers. The results are actually very good, and I am thinking of lowering the EQ frequency for my music configuration to 500 and just see if I can make my base linear and leave the rest alone. I am fortunate that my room is dedicated to listening and is acoustically treated.

Anyone have any experience in this realm? Thoughts?
post #44833 of 44837 Old Today, 07:16 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ I've done that in my D2v /3D and I've been very pleased with how well the Analog to Digital to Analog path works through the D2v -- i.e., ANALOG DSP with ARC.

Basically the differences I hear are the improvements applied by ARC. I'm NOT hearing any downside to use of the re-digitized path through ARC, but of course that may be masked a bit by the fact that my room is not "treated" so ARC actually has work to do.
--Bob

post #44834 of 44837 Old Today, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Oppo 205

Quote:
By the way, OPPO just now put up their product page for the new, UDP-205 UHD player:

--Bob
I called this a.m. re: taking orders. The response was vague but I was told that the units
would be ready to ship towards the end of the month (11 days more).
post #44835 of 44837 Old Today, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

--Bob
Thanks Bob!
You are one of the reasons why I also went from a D2 to a D2V.
Now you are sending me links to the new OPPO!

Now if Anthem were to introduce a D3 or an upgrade to the D2V HDMI board to support 4K, HDR, HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0b I will be a happy camper.

As it stands now I'll keep on running the D2V and just use players with dual HDMI outs to get by.
post #44836 of 44837 Old Today, 12:23 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Weinman View Post
I called this a.m. re: taking orders. The response was vague but I was told that the units
would be ready to ship towards the end of the month (11 days more).
Folks in the US who previously signed up on the interest list are already getting emails with pre-order options quoting one week to shipment.

The regular "Buy" button on OPPO's web site will only go live after the initial rush of interest list orders get handled.
--Bob

post #44837 of 44837 Old Today, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Folks in the US who previously signed up on the interest list are already getting emails with pre-order options quoting one week to shipment.

The regular "Buy" button on OPPO's web site will only go live after the initial rush of interest list orders get handled.
--Bob
Well, Bob

I just placed my order including card info, etc. with a 3-day delivery request. I hope that it comes yesterday! And, my card was just debited.

Last edited by Ed Weinman; Today at 01:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers