Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 1496 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 176Likes

post #44851 of 44960 Old 05-22-2017, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Based on your picture above, I'm going to assume that you do not sit in between the sofa cushions ("REAL CENTER"), right? That would be odd but your choice, nonetheless. Can you move the couch to the left so that seat position #1 is within the centerline of the TV?

if you can't and you actually sit in positions 1 or 2 (like I do), that's ok since the D2v accepts your speaker distance measurements relative to your MLP and adjusts the speaker trims and delays accordingly so that you always hear a center image wherever you are seated.
Nyutu likes this.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44852 of 44960 Old 05-23-2017, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
Based on your picture above, I'm going to assume that you do not sit in between the sofa cushions ("REAL CENTER"), right? That would be odd but your choice, nonetheless. Can you move the couch to the left so that seat position #1 is within the centerline of the TV?

if you can't and you actually sit in positions 1 or 2 (like I do), that's ok since the D2v accepts your speaker distance measurements relative to your MLP and adjusts the speaker trims and delays accordingly so that you always hear a center image wherever you are seated.
In reality, I do seat just directly in front of the middle of the TV/Center speaker where I pasted the camera icon, but it is not between the cushions as the sofa design has very big seats that fit almost 2 people each, just couldn't find a similar one for the mockup.

So just to clarify the numbers on the photo are "ARC positions for the mic" you recommended, while the camera is where I actually seat and my wife would seat in a couch position between "ARC 1" and "ARC 3"

Moving the couch to the left is not possible as it would block the door that you can see to the bottom left corner, it is as left as it gets so 1 is off-center to the right as in the picture above.

So with that explained, you still recommend those 5 positions for measurement and then introducing speaker distance measurements to the MLP (REAL CENTER, which is not the same position as the "1")? Or you recommend matching MLP with position 1 which will make the sound shift towards the "unused" area of the sofa?

Last edited by Nyutu; 05-23-2017 at 10:56 AM.
post #44853 of 44960 Old 05-23-2017, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyutu View Post
In reality, I do seat just directly in front of the middle of the TV/Center speaker where I pasted the camera icon, but it is not between the cushions as the sofa design has very big seats that fit almost 2 people each, just couldn't find a similar one for the mockup.

So just to clarify the numbers on the photo are "ARC positions for the mic" you recommended, while the camera is where I actually seat and my wife would seat in a couch position between "ARC 1" and "ARC 3"

Moving the couch to the left is not possible as it would block the door that you can see to the bottom left corner, it is as left as it gets so 1 is off-center to the right as in the picture above.

So with that explained, you still recommend those 5 positions for measurement and then introducing speaker distance measurements to the MLP (REAL CENTER, which is not the same position as the "1")? Or you recommend matching MLP with position 1 which will make the sound shift towards the "unused" area of the sofa?

Now that you've explained that you have wide seat cushions, then ARC position 1 should be directly where you sit, in front of the middle of the TV/Center speaker, by the camera icon.

The very first ARC microphone position is where the listener sits. Then, you can move 2 feet to the left and right of it for ARC positions 2 and 3. Positions 4 and 5 would not change as they are in between ARC positions 1 & 2 and 1 & 3, but placed in front of you.

Hope this makes sense...

- David
Nyutu likes this.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630

post #44854 of 44960 Old 05-23-2017, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Smile

Quote:
Now that you've explained that you have wide seat cushions, then ARC position 1 should be directly where you sit, in front of the middle of the TV/Center speaker, by the camera icon.

The very first ARC microphone position is where the listener sits. Then, you can move 2 feet to the left and right of it for ARC positions 2 and 3. Positions 4 and 5 would not change as they are in between ARC positions 1 & 2 and 1 & 3, but placed in front of you.

Hope this makes sense...

- David
Thanks a mill, will try that
post #44855 of 44960 Old 05-25-2017, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
update to 44854

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacht422 View Post
this is an update re: cables.. hooked up the OPPO(203) anthem -60 , bought a 4K movie (Arrival 4K, but not HDR ) and ran it thru my 15 Y/O cable (do not recall where I bought the thick thing) all with no problems at all.
perhaps with HDR this will not be the case - - - waiting for the new JVC projector to arrive for the 'final smoke test'. (HDR) Update after the new projector..
Walt
hooked up new JVC to AMV-60 to OPPO 203 all running thru a (actually only 10 Y/O cable) cable. Tested with 4-K, then 4K HDR, and all ran perfectly! I remember that cable issues included drop-outs, Sparklies, or no pic at all. So, I assume that since I have none of those issues, a newest hi-speed, guaranteed super duper cable will not improve on the fantastic pic on my 123" Stewart 1.3 gain screen.
Only wish I could find the receipt for the cable so as to share. Sorry.
My only complaint is it takes the Anthem forever to recognize changing sources.( Sat to Blu Ray for instance)
Walt
post #44856 of 44960 Old 05-25-2017, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyutu View Post
Thanks so much for the suggestion and also the reasoning behind it and explanation.

One question though (Maybe my understanding is wrong, so apologies in advance), if I measure it like you suggest the whole sofa will be corrected and it would look something like the following picture,

But it is my understanding that I will not hear the same when seated at position 2 or 3 no matter how good ACR is, to get started due to distance to speakers, right?

So considering that, wouldn't I be hearing a worse performance from the speakers when I seat in my "Real Center" MLP (which is between positions 2 and 1 and just behind position 4) when compared to the "measured MLP" which is in the middle of the sofa and where ACR averaged the 5 measurements?

Or Should I measure it like the picture above, but then input the speaker distances to the "real center" MLP to ensure I get the full benefit of it?
It looks like your seat is up against the back wall, so you might want to try this pattern from the Persona ARC manual. It's the newest Paradigm/Anthem product with ARC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARC .jpg
Views:	71
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	2155290  
AVfile likes this.
post #44857 of 44960 Old 05-26-2017, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ interesting... Is this a new configuration from Anthem?

post #44858 of 44960 Old 05-26-2017, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
^^^ interesting... Is this a new configuration from Anthem?
Check out the video on their new Persona flagship speaker....impressive.

http://persona.paradigm.com/persona/index.php
post #44859 of 44960 Old 05-26-2017, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, nice and impressive video but I still missed that ARC configuration you mentioned above in the video. That's ok though. No biggie!

post #44860 of 44960 Old 05-28-2017, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I'm sure it's been asked..
I want to ARC for 1 main listening position..
What is the best ARC mic layout to use for just this one seat...

I heard. Maybe to use positions near where my ears will be, the width of my head...

Just want your thoughts...
Thanks

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
post #44861 of 44960 Old 05-28-2017, 07:04 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 3783 Post(s)
Liked: 4925
Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post
I'm sure it's been asked..
I want to ARC for 1 main listening position..
What is the best ARC mic layout to use for just this one seat...

I heard. Maybe to use positions near where my ears will be, the width of my head...

Just want your thoughts...
Thanks

Definitely not. ARC has to be able to distinguish between the inherent output of the speakers and what the room is doing to that output, otherwise it can't do its job. And THAT means you have to have mic positions which are spaced out -- not clustered near one head position.

Put mic position #1 near your head position, as that's the one that is used for setting speaker levels.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #44862 of 44960 Old 05-28-2017, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Definitely not. ARC has to be able to distinguish between the inherent output of the speakers and what the room is doing to that output, otherwise it can't do its job. And THAT means you have to have mic positions which are spaced out -- not clustered near one head position.

Put mic position #1 near your head position, as that's the one that is used for setting speaker levels.
--Bob
Interesting...

And thanks...

See my photo..

With this layout, would it be best to cluster the mic readings on the love seat... The chairs are for over flow of guests.. ☺️

So love seat is the prime area...
Would you mabe take 5 readings over the width of love seat..

post #44863 of 44960 Old 05-28-2017, 08:23 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Put mic #1 at center seating. Pick the other 4 positions such that:

1) The mic positions span the listening area you want to correct -- both side to side and front to back,

2) Each subsequent mic position in sequence alternates from one side to the other of #1 ,

3) The mic positions are not all at the same distance from the screen -- for example have some set up near the back of the headrests and some at the front of the seats

4) No two mic positions -- whether or not sequential -- should be set up closer than 24 inches apart. I use 30 inches as my minimum.

5) The mic tip is not set closer than 18 inches from a blocking or reflecting surface like a wall or high seat back. If necessary raise the mic tip a bit to clear a seat back, or shift the mic position closer to the screen to get distance from a wall.

6) The mic tip should point straight up towards the ceiling. The mic tip should be set at seated ear height for all positions (adjusted as necessary for rule (5)).

The mic hears audio from the entire hemisphere -- 360 degrees around -- above the tip. So that's the area you want to keep clear of nearby things that block or reflect the sound.

Here's a pattern that should work for you:

(back wall)

(screen)

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #44864 of 44960 Old 05-28-2017, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

1) The mic positions span the listening area you want to correct -- both side to side and front to back,

2) Each subsequent mic position in sequence alternates from one side to the other of #1 ,

3) The mic positions are not all at the same distance from the screen -- for example have some set up near the back of the headrests and some at the front of the seats

4) No two mic positions -- whether or not sequential -- should be set up closer than 24 inches apart. I use 30 inches as my minimum.

5) The mic tip is not set closer than 18 inches from a blocking or reflecting surface like a wall or high seat back. If necessary raise the mic tip a bit to clear a seat back, or shift the mic position closer to the screen to get distance from a wall.

6) The mic tip should point straight up towards the ceiling. The mic tip should be set at seated ear height for all positions (adjusted as necessary for rule (5)).

The mic hears audio from the entire hemisphere -- 360 degrees around -- above the tip. So that's the area you want to keep clear of nearby things that block or reflect the sound.

(back wall)

(screen)

--Bob
Cool and thanks for great procedure..

Curious as to why they suggest in front or behind listening position...
I ask as you dont actually sit there and those spots might have big bass peaks or dips...

Thanks

post #44865 of 44960 Old 05-28-2017, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

(back wall)

(screen)

--Bob
the ARC #1 from the D2 days required cancelling out left speaker and then create a 75DB tone for the reference testing signals.
I do not see that requirement for ARC #2.(actually , have not found any advise other than mic positions from BOB)
Do we no longer need to zero out prior to testing?
( also sent an inquiry to Anthem re: Long delay times for feed changes (TV Box feed changing to OPPO -60 feed) and issues with ARC not being recognizes by -60 etc etc)
Walt
post #44866 of 44960 Old 05-29-2017, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Did more testing with ARC-2 and found a cool bug concerning max correction eq..

I found a way to correct to any Max EQ you choose...

This is how I did it...

Load ARC program.
Load your saved reading file..
Goto target icon.
Choose profile #1

Enter the Max frequency you want upto 20k.
Now the trick...
After you enter the max eq, press tab profile #2

Then.
Goto tab profile #1 again..
You will see your max eq has changed to default 5k, BUT it really is at your max freq. You set..

Now select OK.

And run the calculate tab.
When it's done, you will see that it indeed did correct to your max freq...

If you do above but don't goto profile #2 then back to profile #1 , your max correction won't stick.. It will just use the standard 5k..

See screen shots.
And I do hear a difference
The screen shots are the default 5k, 12k, and 20k..(not in that order).

If anyone with REW and a mic can test that would be great...
To my ears, I do hear a difference just not sure of its what the graphs say...

But either way interesting bug with graphs changing...

dmusoke likes this.

Last edited by muad'dib; 05-29-2017 at 10:11 AM.
post #44867 of 44960 Old 05-31-2017, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ now that you've spilled the beans, guess what Anthem will do for its next FW update?

post #44868 of 44960 Old 06-01-2017, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
^^^ now that you've spilled the beans, guess what Anthem will do for its next FW update?
Actually in the AVM60 thread Nick@Anthem said even easier thing to do is just hit enter after entering the max EQ limit.

Evidently it will EQ Upton 24k but he added the disclaimer that the microphone is only confirmed accurate upto 5k.
post #44869 of 44960 Old 06-01-2017, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Would you what ARC does for frequencies under 20Hz? No correction or some correction?

post #44870 of 44960 Old 06-09-2017, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hi guys. I'm considering moving on my D2v (3D) and getting the AVM60. Will it be an upgrade in audio and is ARC-2 better than the first version?
post #44871 of 44960 Old 06-09-2017, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
D2V3D Setup

I apologize if I'm butting in here but I was wondering if someone could answer a few really tech heavy questions about a D2V3D.

I get a bad monitor screen flicker when scrolling thru the setup menus and sometimes the monitor screen goes black. Also sometimes when I exit setup the blue background screen stays on my monitor, (TV). It will usually go away if I turn the D2 off then back on.
-Would this be video, motherboard or touchpad?
-Was the older D2 power supply with the Toroidal transformers better sounding than the newer version power supply?
-Is the AVM50V video board the same as the D2V video board?
Thanks
post #44872 of 44960 Old 06-10-2017, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchup57 View Post
I apologize if I'm butting in here but I was wondering if someone could answer a few really tech heavy questions about a D2V3D.

I get a bad monitor screen flicker when scrolling thru the setup menus and sometimes the monitor screen goes black. Also sometimes when I exit setup the blue background screen stays on my monitor, (TV). It will usually go away if I turn the D2 off then back on.
-Would this be video, motherboard or touchpad?
-Was the older D2 power supply with the Toroidal transformers better sounding than the newer version power supply?
-Is the AVM50V video board the same as the D2V video board?
Thanks
Yes you are correct. They are the same part number so that's good for a spare part thanks. I also think your right about the power board. I'm going to swap them. The setup video has not been doing that again. I'm letting it get warmed up pretty good and I'll check it again. Thanks tons.
post #44873 of 44960 Old 06-10-2017, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So, what does the D2v have that the AVM60 doesn't have to justify its much higher price than the D2v?

post #44874 of 44960 Old 06-15-2017, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Well after getting the 3D upgrade when it became available, I've not had a single issue until now. The issue is I'm using HDMI output 1 to my JVC X-35 projector and now I'm constantly getting a pink screen sometimes red as well for all sources going through that HDMI. If I tap the cable it goes back to normal or tap the back of the unit itself it goes back to normal only to go bad within a min or so. I have removed the cable and reinserted it to no avail. I haven't touched the back of the unit for ages and this issue has just started 2 days ago. I'm thinking that maybe after many years with the bass that the board may have become loose or something? I don't believe its the cable as its a high quality one and never touched it after installing. I know things can fail over time but I still think it's the unit.

Anyone else had a similar problem like this?
post #44875 of 44960 Old 06-15-2017, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonNo10 View Post
Well after getting the 3D upgrade when it became available, I've not had a single issue until now. The issue is I'm using HDMI output 1 to my JVC X-35 projector and now I'm constantly getting a pink screen sometimes red as well for all sources going through that HDMI. If I tap the cable it goes back to normal or tap the back of the unit itself it goes back to normal only to go bad within a min or so. I have removed the cable and reinserted it to no avail. I haven't touched the back of the unit for ages and this issue has just started 2 days ago. I'm thinking that maybe after many years with the bass that the board may have become loose or something? I don't believe its the cable as its a high quality one and never touched it after installing. I know things can fail over time but I still think it's the unit.

Call Anthem, sounds like you need to have the HDMI board replaced. I have the D2v 3d and also had a fouled up image on my projector 2 years ago. Anthem replaced the board, all good since then.
post #44876 of 44960 Old 06-16-2017, 06:19 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonNo10 View Post

The upper HDMI output is on a daughter board and may need to be reseated in its socket. But it is far more likely that your cable has gone bad. Before you do anything else, try a new cable.
--Bob

post #44877 of 44960 Old 06-16-2017, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the replies. It's not the cable as I've placed it into the 2nd HDMI output and it's been perfect for 2 days. I'm in Australia and have contacted the company I purchased it from (they no longer sell Anthem products) and referred me to Audio Active:

https://audioactive.com.au/anthem/

I will contact them next week. The other issue which has come back is the main display doesn't illuminate all the characters with the same brightness. I've had this issue before and the display was replaced under warranty by Audio Active (they did the 3D upgrade for me). It's hard to take a pic of it as it doesn't come out well enough to show the issue.
post #44878 of 44960 Old 06-17-2017, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Liked: 1384
Quick question:

I have three identical speakers for LCR (Hsu CC8's). ARC says the ideal crossover for the center is 80Hz but the LR is 120Hz.

Is it best to leave the center at 80Hz or take its crossover to 120Hz to match the Left and Right?

Use is strictly HT (no music).

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #44879 of 44960 Old 06-17-2017, 02:59 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Quick answer. Leave it at 80 Hz.
--Bob

post #44880 of 44960 Old 06-17-2017, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Liked: 1384
Quote:
^ Quick answer. Leave it at 80 Hz.
--Bob
Thanks Bob!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk