Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 1498 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 170Likes

post #44911 of 44913 Old 07-23-2017, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyflag View Post
To Bob and all:

I picked up a used 103D to see what the Darbee might do for cable, DVDs, and BluRay. I am running a single HDMI cable to the Anthem, and have disabled scaling for the source on the Anthems scaler menu.

1. Will that also prevent the Anthem from determining the frame rate as well? The Oppo is set to Auto.

2. Would I be better of using the split AV setting and sending only audio to the Anthem as per the Oppo manual?

I'm running my cable box (no option for native resolution) at 1080i into the Oppo and get a handshaking noise when switching channels. Could split AV solve this?

Thanks, as always.

Glenn
Glenn ... I'll try to answer your questions for you.

1. No.... First of all, set the Oppo output to match the optimized settings for your TV. If your TV set is 1080p60 and prefers the YCrCb color space, then set these settings explicitly in the Oppo to minimize handshake errors. And also, do the same for the Anthem video settings, so that it just passes video thru from the Oppo to your TV without changing its color or resolution modes.

2. Not really. It depends....The Split AV setup was devised as a work around for video modes not supported by the Anthem unit you may have. You didn't say which Anthem unit you had, but if you have the newer MRX systems, then only use 1 video cable from the 103D --->MRX ---> TV.

If you have the 3D versions of the AVM50 and D2v and your TV also supports 3D, then also use the connection described earlier.

If you have the non-3D AVM or D2v processors and have a 3D TV, THEN use the SPLIT AV option where the video goes directly from the 103D to your TV and another cable from the 103D to your Anthem.

I have a similar cable box setup like yours where I use the Oppo to clean up my cable box video. Handshaking will be reduced if you have video settings as described in #1 above. The Oppo always receives a 1080i signal, fed into the Anthem to output a 1080p60 (if in the US or 1080p50 elsewhere) output signal to the TV, with similar color space settings in the Oppo, Anthem, and TV.

I believe the handshaking noise you are getting now is due to the AUTO setting in the Oppo where it has to constantly renegotiate video settings with the TV and that process is somewhat slow. AFter all, it takes place using a slow 100kHz 2-wire control bus, part of the HDMI standard.

Hope that helps...

- David

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44912 of 44913 Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
Glenn ... I'll try to answer your questions for you.

1. No.... First of all, set the Oppo output to match the optimized settings for your TV. If your TV set is 1080p60 and prefers the YCrCb color space, then set these settings explicitly in the Oppo to minimize handshake errors. And also, do the same for the Anthem video settings, so that it just passes video thru from the Oppo to your TV without changing its color or resolution modes.

2. Not really. It depends....The Split AV setup was devised as a work around for video modes not supported by the Anthem unit you may have. You didn't say which Anthem unit you had, but if you have the newer MRX systems, then only use 1 video cable from the 103D --->MRX ---> TV.

If you have the 3D versions of the AVM50 and D2v and your TV also supports 3D, then also use the connection described earlier.

If you have the non-3D AVM or D2v processors and have a 3D TV, THEN use the SPLIT AV option where the video goes directly from the 103D to your TV and another cable from the 103D to your Anthem.

I have a similar cable box setup like yours where I use the Oppo to clean up my cable box video. Handshaking will be reduced if you have video settings as described in #1 above. The Oppo always receives a 1080i signal, fed into the Anthem to output a 1080p60 (if in the US or 1080p50 elsewhere) output signal to the TV, with similar color space settings in the Oppo, Anthem, and TV.

I believe the handshaking noise you are getting now is due to the AUTO setting in the Oppo where it has to constantly renegotiate video settings with the TV and that process is somewhat slow. AFter all, it takes place using a slow 100kHz 2-wire control bus, part of the HDMI standard.

Hope that helps...

- David
Thanks David,

It's an original AVM50 (albeit with ARC). TV is a KRP600m which will be replaced this year, probably with a LG OLED. I'll set up the Oppo as described and go back to 1080p/60 for Video Config. 1, and 1080p/24 for Anthem Video Config 2, and set the Oppo up for that as well for film based material.

I may replace the processor to an AVM60 anyway. I have an Oppo UDP 205 as well for the future, but I wanted to fool with the Darbee. I've started with Hi-Def 35 on the Darbee to start for cable. What has worked for you?

Glenn

Last edited by greyflag; Yesterday at 02:08 PM.
post #44913 of 44913 Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyflag View Post
Thanks David,

It's an original AVM50 (albeit with ARC). TV is a KRP600m which will be replaced this year, probably with a LG OLED. I'll set up the Oppo as described and go back to 1080p/60 for Video Config. 1, and 1080p/24 for Anthem Video Config 2, and set the Oppo up for that as well for film based material.

I may replace the processor to an AVM60 anyway. I have an Oppo UDP 205 as well for the future, but I wanted to fool with the Darbee. I've started with Hi-Def 35 on the Darbee to start for cable. What has worked for you?

Glenn
In my case, I have 1080p60 all the way for TV and DVD/BD watching. I have a 60" Pioneer Elite Kuro Plasma as well, which triples the frame rate from 24Hz to 72Hz much like yours. I never saw much difference between 60Hz and 72Hz frame rates, so I decided to leave it at 60Hz all the way.

Since you plan to use 1080p24 for BD watching, remember to turn 1080p24 to ON (or is is Auto?) in the Oppo. That way, any BR authored at 24Hz will be output at 24Hz, else it'll play at 1080p60. Just remember, for video config 2, to set the output frame rate to 24Hz, with appropriate color space. In my case its RGB (dithered) all the way from the Oppo to my D2v to my Plasma. I believe your KRP600M was optimized for RGB color-space as well, but please verify with your manual.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page