Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 179 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #5341 of 43014 Old 03-29-2007, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ah, ok. It's been mentioned the Anthem has a default 2.35:1 setting and I wondered why I had not seen it in the scaler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5342 of 43014 Old 03-29-2007, 02:18 PM
3no

I too have set up overlays for those inputs which might have 2.35 material.

From the math, the vertical size (Crop Input/Custom Setting/Vertical Size) should be 1920/2.35=817. Empirically, I've found that I'm happier with about 805 to ensure vertical stretch all the way to the screen frame, even though that is probably distorting the image vertically by 1.5%, given that my anamorphic lens does the horizontal stretch to 2.35 (times the screen height) and 805 is a vertical stretch for 2.385.
post #5343 of 43014 Old 03-29-2007, 06:25 PM
3no

Well, the HVAC tech came today and fixed my A/C. Plus the temp in Atlanta dropped this afternoon into the 60s. Didn't get very far into a BD on the PS3 this evening when occasional blue screens started appearing. After a few that input (HDMI1) locked up totally. Came back after a while, but I'm not sure whether it was my reload of factory defaults, multiple power cycles, or just waiting.

In any case, the air temp at the D2 inlet at the time all of this happened was 78F. Maybe not as cool as it could be, but well below the point where it was rock solid previously. Could my thermal problems have damaged the VP or some other component so that it is now even more sensitive to heat? I'll ask Nick tomorrow.

This is a real PITA. Out of desperation I'll see if I can exchange the PS3 for another one. Maybe they aren't all created equal and that's why not everyone is seeing the same problems...
post #5344 of 43014 Old 03-29-2007, 07:11 PM

Anyone else having problems with 480i output from the Toshiba A2 HD-DVD player?
Since I installed 1.11g (and now 1.11e) all my colors are screwep up when I select 480i output from the Tosh, works fine with 480p, 720p and 1080i though.

Tried every color settings and that did nothing. Colors are fine if I connect directly to my TV.
Wish I had stayed with 1.06 now - it was working back then.
post #5345 of 43014 Old 03-29-2007, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3no View Post

Well, the HVAC tech came today and fixed my A/C. Plus the temp in Atlanta dropped this afternoon into the 60s. Didn't get very far into a BD on the PS3 this evening when occasional blue screens started appearing. After a few that input (HDMI1) locked up totally. Came back after a while, but I'm not sure whether it was my reload of factory defaults, multiple power cycles, or just waiting.

In any case, the air temp at the D2 inlet at the time all of this happened was 78F. Maybe not as cool as it could be, but well below the point where it was rock solid previously. Could my thermal problems have damaged the VP or some other component so that it is now even more sensitive to heat? I'll ask Nick tomorrow.

This is a real PITA. Out of desperation I'll see if I can exchange the PS3 for another one. Maybe they aren't all created equal and that's why not everyone is seeing the same problems...

If heat has damaged a part, it's a "out of margin" piece. The heat tolerance of all parts is taken in consideriation in designing these things and the thermal shut off of the unit should kick in before any of the parts fry. Also, I would hope the D2s are tested at or slightly above thermal shutoff for long periods of time to make sure everything is ok. I don't mean each unit, but during the first production unit(s) phase. I still think it can be the PS3 (maybe here and there just to throw you off), those puppies run very warm. I don't recall if you took it out of the cab and ran it where it would be unlikely to over heat.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #5346 of 43014 Old 03-29-2007, 08:19 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyenna View Post

Anyone else having problems with 480i output from the Toshiba A2 HD-DVD player?
Since I installed 1.11g (and now 1.11e) all my colors are screwep up when I select 480i output from the Tosh, works fine with 480p, 720p and 1080i though.

Tried every color settings and that did nothing. Colors are fine if I connect directly to my TV.
Wish I had stayed with 1.06 now - it was working back then.

Can you describe the color screwup more precisely? Are you using HDMI or Component?

Double check the settings in the Video Source Adjust menu to be sure nothing odd got introduced there in the course of the software changes.

Insure that Video Source Adjust / Output / Frame Lock = OFF.

If using HDMI, insure that Setup / Source Select / HDMI Repeater = NO.

If using HDMI, insure that Setup / Video Output / Preferred = HDMI.

Double check that any overlayed inputs (DVD1 vs. DVD2, etc.) that you are not using are "disabled" so that you can't select one of them by accident. Do this in Setup / Source Select for each input in turn.

=======================================

EDITED TO ADD: If the above doesn't lead to a fix for your problem, switch your A2 to 480i (so that you have the problem) and see if you can bring up the Video Source Adjust menu. If you can, go to the Info panel and report what it is showing for both the input and output values.

Back out of the Video Source Adjust Menu and, presuming you are still seeing the problem, press the Select button on the remote repeatedly and report what it is showing for each set of status (except we won't need your unit serial number). This status info can also be read on the Anthem's front panel display if your TV imaging is so screwed up that you can't read it there.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #5347 of 43014 Old 03-29-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:

My A/C is being repaired as I type this. But why do you need A/C in Finland? Just bring in outside air

Summers can be very warm, but nothing compared to your conditions, of course I got mail from Nick and he asked me to position a small fan to draw air away from the top of the D2. I try this during weekend. Let's see what happens.
post #5348 of 43014 Old 03-30-2007, 04:41 AM
3no

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumikola View Post

Summers can be very warm, but nothing compared to your conditions, of course I got mail from Nick and he asked me to position a small fan to draw air away from the top of the D2. I try this during weekend. Let's see what happens.

I thought this time of year you would still have piles of lumi everywhere.

The small fan worked for me, until last night anyway. I placed a PC case fan directly on top of the D2, resting on the slots in the center of the case, oriented so that it was blowing directly up, drawing hot air out of the case.
post #5349 of 43014 Old 03-30-2007, 04:46 AM
3no

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

I still think it can be the PS3 (maybe here and there just to throw you off), those puppies run very warm. I don't recall if you took it out of the cab and ran it where it would be unlikely to over heat.

Nick had me take the PS3 out of the rack (easy to do, it's just sitting on a shelf) and repeat the test. No change in behavior.

I'm swapping out the PS3 later today, just in case...
post #5350 of 43014 Old 03-30-2007, 09:57 AM

Quote:

I thought this time of year you would still have piles of lumi everywhere.

The small fan worked for me, until last night anyway. I placed a PC case fan directly on top of the D2, resting on the slots in the center of the case, oriented so that it was blowing directly up, drawing hot air out of the case.

Lumi (how do you know that word ) has gone, this spring's been extremely warm near Helsinki.

Nick strongly believes that the reason is heat in my case. After this weekend I can be sure if that's true. First air conditioning on Saturday and if it doesn't help, on Sunday I will install a huge fan. I'll keep you informed.
post #5351 of 43014 Old 03-30-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

As DRHANKZ notes, setting the S3 to always output 1080i, regardless of what channel you are watching, will keep it from having to do as many HDMI re-handshakes. [Every time it changes output resolution it has to re-establish the HDMI connection anew.] You will still have re-handshakes going in and out of its menus however.

The scaler in the S3 is better than most set top boxes, but still not as good as what's in the Anthem. So if you can live with the problem, or when you get a fix from Anthem, it is best to return to "native" output so that SDTV is sent to the Anthem as HDMI 480i and HDTV is sent as HDMI 720p or 1080i and the Anthem takes it from there.

Again, this problem appears to be in the S3 itself. So what Anthem is trying to do is find a way to workaround the S3's limitations without damaging how HDMI input works from other devices.
--Bob

Thanks Bob - I've set the S3 to native 1080i and improved the dBi several points.
post #5352 of 43014 Old 03-30-2007, 12:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbn04 View Post

Thanks Bob - I've set the S3 to native 1080i and improved the dBi several points.

Native or 1080i?

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #5353 of 43014 Old 03-30-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht View Post

Native or 1080i?

Sorry - yep, 1080i always
post #5354 of 43014 Old 03-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Read the FAQ!

For folks having issues with Apple TV HDMI connections, there's not really any new news. But it has become a common enough complaint that it's now an item on the MacFixIt site:

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...70330090814465

You might want to keep an eye out there for any updates.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #5355 of 43014 Old 03-30-2007, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
FWIW guys, I continue to "suffer" through in Native mode as always since the day the S3 came out. Though as I've said before there are occasional losses of signal when switching between HD and SD channels, this is fairly rare, rare enough for me and the better half to have no issues leaving it on this setting. The high quality of the D2 scaling/deinterlacing is a joy to behold, so I leave it in Native mode. It just doesn't seem as bad in my setup as you guys are reporting.

I am running 1.10 still, stable as can be, and I feel no need to jump off of it.

-Brian
post #5356 of 43014 Old 03-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Oh, guys, with AppleTV, use Component, it works flawlessly and looks gorgeous when the AppleTV is set to 720p, its native output. Let the D2 scale that and enjoy!

All this worry about HDMI is making me nutty with regards to this device. The output is 720p, there is no need for HDMI from this thing, you'll never see a difference...use Optical and Component, and be done with it....

Great device by the way, I love it! Pictures and HD video's look amazing on the thing through the D2.

My 2 cents,
Brian
post #5357 of 43014 Old 03-30-2007, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Got my XA2, plugged it in and it works perfect with the D2.
post #5358 of 43014 Old 03-30-2007, 09:12 PM

Before doing anything else, I moved PS3 two meters away from D2. And now, after two hours playing etc., there haven't been any blue screens. I didn't notice and believe before that PS3 creates a huge (!) amount of heat, but I'll keep it far away from other equipment now.

It's evident that there's nothing wrong with 1.11g and PS3. D2 just seems to be slightly heat sensitive with PS3, which must be taken into account. If this problem doesn't appear anymore, everything works perfectly in my D2 system. I can only thank Nick for fast and clear support
post #5359 of 43014 Old 03-30-2007, 09:16 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumikola View Post

Before doing anything else, I moved PS3 two meters away from D2. And now, after two hours playing etc., there haven't been any blue screens. I didn't notice and believe before that PS3 creates a huge (!) amount of heat, but I'll keep it far away from other equipment now.

It's evident that there's nothing wrong with 1.11g and PS3. D2 just seems to be slightly heat sensitive with PS3, which must be taken into account. If this problem doesn't appear anymore, everything works perfectly in my D2 system. I can only thank Nick for fast and clear support

Hmmm. I wonder whether it's really heat or if the PS3 is perhaps putting out RF interference -- maybe only when it has an HDMI cable connected to it -- that is giving the D2 grief.
--Bob

post #5360 of 43014 Old 03-30-2007, 09:19 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

Gee, I don't know what to say. Given it's the weekend and all -- I realize this may not be what you want to hear -- but you may just need to wait until Monday to contact Anthem tech support.

(grin!)
--Bob

post #5361 of 43014 Old 03-30-2007, 10:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithAPlan View Post

FWIW guys, I continue to "suffer" through in Native mode as always since the day the S3 came out. Though as I've said before there are occasional losses of signal when switching between HD and SD channels, this is fairly rare, rare enough for me and the better half to have no issues leaving it on this setting. The high quality of the D2 scaling/deinterlacing is a joy to behold, so I leave it in Native mode. It just doesn't seem as bad in my setup as you guys are reporting.

I am running 1.10 still, stable as can be, and I feel no need to jump off of it.

-Brian

Brian,

I've gone native, I mean stayed native too. But it works much better via component (like the advice you cave on Apple TV ))

I have to admit I listened to Hank and it was the right thing to do going component and leaving the source change startup issues behind.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #5362 of 43014 Old 03-30-2007, 10:17 PM

Quote:

Hmmm. I wonder whether it's really heat or if the PS3 is perhaps putting out RF interference -- maybe only when it has an HDMI cable connected to it -- that is giving the D2 grief.
--Bob

This is from Nick's email:

"...It ('problem') is not a result of the PS3, which gets hot itself, creating enough heat to cause problem because the problem exists (in the last system) when PS3 is used outside of the rack, away from the D2. Furthermore, many people are using a PS3 with a D2 without a problem.
We reproduced the problem here after putting the D2 in a box and connecting a PS3, which we had since not long after they came out. This is not the normal way to use a D2 of course."

According to Nick, all reported three PS3 blue screen cases before me were heat related. After four hours of enjoying PS3 this morning, there are still no problems in my system. Temperature close to D2 is appr. 3 degrees lower than before moving PS3.
post #5363 of 43014 Old 03-31-2007, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

What FW version are you using?
post #5364 of 43014 Old 03-31-2007, 08:20 PM

Air conditioning was installed yesterday. I moved PS3 to it's original place appr. one meter below D2. After couple of hours, there are no blue screens and temperature in the back of D2 is couple of degrees lower than in original situation (no A/C). Everything's working well.
post #5365 of 43014 Old 04-01-2007, 07:10 AM
Read the FAQ!

http://www.cnw.ca/fr/releases/archiv.../30/c8798.html

What does this mean for Anthem? Will we see a Wave D2?
--Bob

edit: april fool!

post #5366 of 43014 Old 04-01-2007, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:

--Bob

I think your link is broken.
post #5367 of 43014 Old 04-01-2007, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

--Bob

Boy I hope they get that noise cancellation going on the D2 too...maybe that is the fancy EQ solution Lev keeps talking about.
post #5368 of 43014 Old 04-01-2007, 07:29 AM

Quote:

--Bob

AF to you too

"One of the problems of taking things apart and seeing how they work--supposing you're trying to find out how a cat works--you take that cat apart to see how it works, what you've got in your hands is a non-working cat."
-- Douglas Adams
post #5369 of 43014 Old 04-01-2007, 07:35 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

I think your link is broken.

I can't understand it. Try searching using today's date.
--Bob

post #5370 of 43014 Old 04-01-2007, 09:22 AM

I am not finding any news articles referenced to Anthem, Paradign or Bose....

Reject Passivity, Accept Responsibility,
Lead Courageously, Live for the Greater Reward

Rick
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page