Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #541 of 43086 Old 06-05-2006, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My new AVM 50 (warranty replacement) has been on my rack now for a few days. I didn't realize I had as many quirks with the other AVM 50, until playing with this one. I had software issues with the other unit which created quite a few problems.

I had nick e-mail me the latest beta software, and it installed without a problem. A download should be available from the Anthem website by the end of the week.

Is anyone using a Motorola cable box? Currently, I have the box set at 1080i output and 4:3 override set at 480i. Is this the correct setting? I do need to learn more about using the scaler. If anyone has any good links, please share them.

A few problem's I've noticed, I sometimes see a black screen. Shutting the AVM 50 off and turning it back on fixes this. Next... when the AVM 50 scaler out is set at letter/pillarbox, the 4X3 material might be normal size and the next time it may be slightly stretched. The same thing will happen to HD material, sometimes showing as 4x3 material, and another time, full screen. Again, turning off and on fixes the problem. Next...Sometimes when turning the volume up or down, the screen shakes up and down, I'd say around 1/4 of an inch.

I have no doubt the above issues will be taken care of by a software update. HDMI and scaling can be very touchy and this is all new territory for Anthem. I have no problems waiting for the software updates, I look forward to them.

If anyone else has bought an AVM 50, please share your experiences.

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - - Stephen Roberts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 43086 Old 06-05-2006, 05:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

I have a Motorola box (DCT-3412) and it has been a headache with my AVM-50. Mine is set to 16x9, 1080i and 4x3 override OFF. To be honest, I never watch SD, so I don't even know how it displays through the Anthem's scaler. I've been following the D2 tweaks thread, but I haven't seen any specific reference to the Moto boxes yet in that thread.

I have the same problem you do when I switch sources. A power toggle of the AVM-50 fixes it. However, the Moto box goes back to its defaults of 4x3 and 480i. Grr. I'm pretty sure this is not a problem with the Anthem, but rather the fantastic Motorola architecture we've all come to love. Other than that, I've had no aspect ratio issues with the combination. The Gennum scaler is set to send out Anamorphic stretch @ 1080p/60 to my display, and I don't have to do any other aspect ratio changes to get a properly formatted picture. I've experienced no picture issues (wobbles/shakes) when changing the volume.

My main issue in my setup is not Anthem related, but if anyone knows how to set a Harmony 880 remote to send short (discrete?) bursts for volume +/- to the Anthem, I'd greatly appreciate any tips. As it stands, my 880 moves the volume in 4.5 to 5 db increments. Until I figure this out, I'm using the Anthem's remote to control everything.

What's in the beta firmware, by the way?

PSN: KyFriedNate | XBL: KyFriedNate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #543 of 43086 Old 06-05-2006, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_R View Post

My main issue in my setup is not Anthem related, but if anyone knows how to set a Harmony 880 remote to send short (discrete?) bursts for volume +/- to the Anthem, I'd greatly appreciate any tips. As it stands, my 880 moves the volume in 4.5 to 5 db increments. Until I figure this out, I'm using the Anthem's remote to control everything.

Using the advanced setup options (More Options for the device) on the Harmony config web pages, you can specify the time delays for the remote. I'd play with these options and set a shorter Inter-Key delay. I suspect the Harmony is sending too long an IR signal which is causing the Anthem volume to move more.
post #544 of 43086 Old 06-05-2006, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Kris Deering "This is a known issue between the two pieces and Anthem is working on it. It will be fixed very shortly as they are currently working on it."

I am scheduled to pick up my D2 from my dealer this coming Friday. Should I postpone the pickup until this imminent software upgrade is done and can be installed by the dealer, or can I do the upgrade at home without violating the warranty? I ask this because I am a 4 1/2 hour drive from my dealer!
post #545 of 43086 Old 06-05-2006, 05:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for the tip. I finally found an acceptable delay timing. It's still not perfect, but I'm happier now.

|
post #546 of 43086 Old 06-05-2006, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

It is just about complete. I am waiting on the next firmware to address some issues that I know are going to be resolved before I publish though.

Kris,

Thanks bud. I know you've heard it many times, but for contributions such as yours it always bears repeating:

Thanks for your very thorough reviews that can always be counted upon by those of us in this community. I am patiently awaiting your review prior to making my processor choice.

May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields, May your toilet always flush, etc., etc. .......you get the point

CHT SHO-10 x 5 powered by Denon 4311 and Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #547 of 43086 Old 06-05-2006, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=What's in the beta firmware, by the way?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure of what all is included, no notations were included. When I initially talked to Nick about the problem's I had with my first AVM, he mentioned that he could send me beta firmware for my replacment AVM. He didn't want me to install it on the original AVM in fear it may cause it to crash. He also wanted the people at Anthem to see the problems to figure out what may have happened.

A couple things I do see with the update...Video output (8) now has an OSD line for NTSC and PAL. Under the "picture" setting in the scaler menu, Video ADC replaces s-video. Included is s-video chroma TI level, s-video luma DNR level, video input gain and sampling phase. I wish I understood what these setting do.

I believe this also fixes the image shifting to the left. I no longer have this problem. However, I downloaded the update to the new AVM before using it, so I don't know If I would have had the problem with this unit anyway. Nick mentioned something to the extent of TV signals not following protocol with HDMI. Anthem had it programmed per specs, but this doesn't jive with the signal sent by the provider (they may not follow HDMI protocol) and this caused a shift issue with the AVM. Please don't quote me on the last few sentences, I'm going from memory and this is the information as I remember and I don't have a very good understanding of the technology so I could be a little off. I don't want to misrepresent nor misquote Nick as he is a wealth of information and very helpful.

If someone is interested, I could send the file (only good for the AVM 50!). Or if your more comfortable dealing with Anthem, just e-mail Nick at sfitech@sonicfrontiers.com He usually responds within hours. Or simply wait until the end of the week, possibly next week and you can download it from Anthem's website.

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - - Stephen Roberts
post #548 of 43086 Old 06-05-2006, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbrand View Post

I am scheduled to pick up my D2 from my dealer this coming Friday. Should I postpone the pickup until this imminent software upgrade is done and can be installed by the dealer, or can I do the upgrade at home without violating the warranty? I ask this because I am a 4 1/2 hour drive from my dealer!

You will not void you warranty. Your owners manual explains how to do an update and Anthem offers the update on their website for you to download. I believe the only issue, which Anthem mentions, is when using a USB to serial adapter. If it is not Windows certified, don't use it as this can cause a problem. You will then pay to have it fixed.

Firmware updates is one of the major benefits to owning equipment like this.

So, four more days and it's all yours!

post #549 of 43086 Old 06-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by yatchaks "You will not void your warranty. ........ So, four more days and it's all yours!

That's what I wanted to hear! (I was pretty sure we could do software updates ourselves, but was starting to get a little spooked.) Look out equipment rack, there's a new "sheriff" coming to town!
post #550 of 43086 Old 06-05-2006, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Even if a soundtrack was 7.1 discrete, it could be decoded/unpacked in the player and sent as 8 channels of linear 96/24 PCM via the Anthem's HDMI 1.1 connection. So, audio-wise, no advantage to HDMI 1.3 spec. Certainly no difference in sound quality.

Sanjay

But can the Anthem processing (such as notch filter, center channel EQ, etc.) be used on HDMI 1.1 PCM?
post #551 of 43086 Old 06-05-2006, 09:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post

But can the Anthem processing (such as notch filter, center channel EQ, etc.) be used on HDMI 1.1 PCM?

Everything (DD, DTS, analogue) gets converted to PCM at some point. There's no reason why the Anthem should treat PCM coming from the HDMI inputs any differently from any other PCM source.

Sanjay

Sanjay
post #552 of 43086 Old 06-06-2006, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbrand View Post

That's what I wanted to hear! (I was pretty sure we could do software updates ourselves, but was starting to get a little spooked.) Look out equipment rack, there's a new "sheriff" coming to town!

Sheriff!!

I like that

May be New to this site but old to HT :)

post #553 of 43086 Old 06-06-2006, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post

All input signals can have anything applied to them, no worries there. I am currently using the HDMI 1.1 function for HD DVD and DVD Audio and I can apply any processing I want.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

post #554 of 43086 Old 06-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

All input signals can have anything applied to them, no worries there. I am currently using the HDMI 1.1 function for HD DVD and DVD Audio and I can apply any processing I want.

Wonderful! Thanks.
post #555 of 43086 Old 06-06-2006, 09:54 AM

Speaking of upgrades. Has anyone here yet found a USB>serial adapter that works reliably with Anthem FW? I don't have a single computer at home with a serial port on it.

Jerry Rappaport
post #556 of 43086 Old 06-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJRapp View Post

Speaking of upgrades. Has anyone here yet found a USB>serial adapter that works reliably with Anthem FW? I don't have a single computer at home with a serial port on it.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that they successfully used the Keyspan usb/serial adapter with the settings editor. They have different models. The following is Microsoft WHQL certified:

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/USA19HS/

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/389...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I just picked one up. Haven't tried it yet, but plan on using it for my Velodyne SMS-1 (and with the Anthem when I get one).
post #557 of 43086 Old 06-06-2006, 03:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

I've exchanged a couple of emails with Nick concerning the Motorola 64xx/34xx cable boxes.

First, he told me to change the Gennum scaler output to Letter/Pillar Box, as opposed to the anamorphic stretch mode I was using. That seems to have fixed my aspect ratio issues, however, the Moto box is still losing its handshake through the AVM-50, as well as resetting itself to 480i.

When I switch inputs on the Anthem, I've also noticed that the 3412 briefly (like for half a second) displays a code to the effect of "du1" on the front panel. I can't be sure of the exact text, as it happens so quickly. Anyway, at this point, I go into the 3412's setup menus, and as I scroll down to the resolution section, I see "YPP Out" and "L" before any of the output (720p, 1080i, etc.) resolutions. I'm going to assume the "YPP Out " and "L" notations refer to the fact my HDCP handshake has been lost and the unit is trying to output video over component (which is no longer used in my setup). Once I change the 3412's menus to 16x9 and 1080i, reboot the cable box, and reboot the Anthem, I have cable again.

|
post #558 of 43086 Old 06-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Is your 79AVi's HDMI indicator light still active on the front panel? Is it possible the Pioneer reverted to component-only output when you changed your equipment setup? I initially forgot to switch the video output to 480i on my 79AVi before connecting the my AVM-50.

I ordered a couple of new hdmi cables and when they get here in a day or two I'll try again. I didn't specifically check the front panel, but all I did was unplug the hdmi from the back of my tv and plug it in the d2 so I wouldn't think the pioneer would default back to component. When I plugged the hdmi cable back into the tv it worked OK.
But thanks, I'll be sure to check the front panel on the pioneer when I set it up with new cables.
I can only pray that it was something that simple.

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #559 of 43086 Old 06-06-2006, 04:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:

This is a known issue between the two pieces and Anthem is working on it. It will be fixed very shortly as they are currently working on it.

Thanks for that info, I'm having the same problem with a Denon 3806. I'll have to contact Denon and see what they say. Do you know if the issue is with the Oppo or on the recvr/pre-pro side?
post #560 of 43086 Old 06-06-2006, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've exchanged a couple of emails with Nick concerning the Motorola 64xx/34xx cable boxes.

First, he told me to change the Gennum scaler output to Letter/Pillar Box, as opposed to the anamorphic stretch mode I was using. That seems to have fixed my aspect ratio issues, however, the Moto box is still losing its handshake through the AVM-50, as well as resetting itself to 480i.

When I switch inputs on the Anthem, I've also noticed that the 3412 briefly (like for half a second) displays a code to the effect of "du1" on the front panel. I can't be sure of the exact text, as it happens so quickly. Anyway, at this point, I go into the 3412's setup menus, and as I scroll down to the resolution section, I see "YPP Out" and "L" before any of the output (720p, 1080i, etc.) resolutions. I'm going to assume the "YPP Out " and "L" notations refer to the fact my HDCP handshake has been lost and the unit is trying to output video over component (which is no longer used in my setup). Once I change the 3412's menus to 16x9 and 1080i, reboot the cable box, and reboot the Anthem, I have cable again.

I wonder if you ran a set of component cables from the 3412 to the AVM, and unplugged the HDMI cable, would the 3412 still reset itself? This would eliminate a possible HDMI problem if the same problem occured again.

post #561 of 43086 Old 06-08-2006, 01:10 PM

Nathan,

I get the du1 on my Moto 6416 as well, when the cable box is off and I happen to switch my tv to the HDMI input. Doesn't appear to do anything beyond display that code. Oh, and tell me that my cable box is off. Interesting that the box is off but still outputs (via hdmi) a black screen with white letters telling me the box is off in text when the tv's corresponding input is selected.

Ah, those wonderful Moto boxes. I have Cox cable and had an issue with the boxes resetting themselves constantly and losing all my DVR settings. This then progressed to macroblocking on the HD channels. Well 5 techs and many months later nothing really changed, it just seemed to happen in varying forms. Each time I got a new box and actually in 4 months went through several versions of the 6412 and 6414. They also preceeded to replace all cabling in my house in the process. The final tech finally listened to my thought that if he tested the line at the street it would tell if the problem was my house or the branch line. Well it was the branch line, so all that wiring (free) was just chasing their tail. Supposedly they came out to fix the brank line on two occasions but nothing really changed. The test readings basically read strength, of which I always had plenty and a second reading that I am not sure the name of. I think it has to do with draw and line splitting. Well anyway this second figure never really improved and I got tired of taking days off.

I got fed up and went with my theory that the variations were the box, as the tech had said that soft and esp. the hard hits they send seem to damage the delicate Moto boxes. Also that most boxes seem to be shuffled around to different customers or are refurbs. Well each week I went to the cox counter to exchange my box (a bunch of 6414s) and they each worked to differing degrees, some were better and some didn't pass a HD pic. since the macro blocking was so bad. THEN I got what finally appeared to be a NEW box and a 6416 to boot. Cable has been perfect since. No resets, perfect HD picture. So don't take the box for granted and exchange it if you even think its the problem. Afterall you are renting it so it costs nothing to keep exchanging until you find one that works better.

OH, and I am an AVM30 owner, since this is a bit off topic. ;-)

Derek N
post #562 of 43086 Old 06-08-2006, 01:15 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the tip. I finally found an acceptable delay timing. It's still not perfect, but I'm happier now.

I have the 880 as well and have noticed this BUT the Anthem remote does the same thing for me. As such I think its the Anthem HEX code that actually has a fast repeat built in. A quick jab yields a small increase and longer push yields a fast increase, on both remotes for me.

The delay setting could certainly modify this behavior to your liking though, with the 880 at least.

Derek N
post #563 of 43086 Old 06-08-2006, 04:12 PM

I have a motorola DVR also (not sure which model, its a dual tuner) and I believe the display means "dvi", it just lookslike "dui" (at least thats what I think it says).

I leave my dvr box on all the time and I see this flash by when I turn the anthem on.
post #564 of 43086 Old 06-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Greetings,

I just pulled the trigger on the AVM 50. I will be mating it with a Denon 3910, Scientific Atlanta 8300HD ( Time Warner - Passport software ) DVR/STB, Sony DVP-CX995VP DVD/SACD 400 disc jukebox, D link DSM 520 Media Bridge all connected via HDMI ( hopefully ).

My display is a Sony VPL-HS51 which is 1280x720 native resolution display. I am sure there will be some challenges with the SA Box although time Warner recently updated the firmware so I will have to see how that works out.

I look forward to receiving this superb machine......woo hoo!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #565 of 43086 Old 06-09-2006, 04:43 PM

just got my avm50 here in the Philippines. from my initial setup, everything looks great. Used the HQV disc and it has much better picture quality than my Iscan hd+
post #566 of 43086 Old 06-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc999 View Post

just got my avm50 here in the Philippines. from my initial setup, everything looks great. Used the HQV disc and it has much better picture quality than my Iscan hd+

Im curious, do you find it better to calibrate video using the scaler adjustments, or do you leave the video adjustments at default?

post #567 of 43086 Old 06-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by placidman View Post

Greetings,

I just pulled the trigger on the AVM 50. I will be mating it with a Denon 3910, Scientific Atlanta 8300HD ( Time Warner - Passport software ) DVR/STB, Sony DVP-CX995VP DVD/SACD 400 disc jukebox, D link DSM 520 Media Bridge all connected via HDMI ( hopefully ).

My display is a Sony VPL-HS51 which is 1280x720 native resolution display. I am sure there will be some challenges with the SA Box although time Warner recently updated the firmware so I will have to see how that works out.

I look forward to receiving this superb machine......woo hoo!

Regards,

I also have the Denon 3910 and SA 8300HD (Time Warner in upstate NY). I'd be interested to know how these 2 components work with the AVM 50. I'm looking into getting the AVM 50 as well.

Thanks.
post #568 of 43086 Old 06-10-2006, 04:26 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Greetings,

Quote:

I also have the Denon 3910 and SA 8300HD (Time Warner in upstate NY). I'd be interested to know how these 2 components work with the AVM 50. I'm looking into getting the AVM 50 as well.

Randman, I will be sure to post my findings once I have things up and running.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #569 of 43086 Old 06-10-2006, 06:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Follow to my DCT-3412 issues. Nick and another Anthen employee told me to set "16x9 on Crop Input and Letterbox/Pillar box on Scale Out." For whatever reason, this has solved my resetting problem. I can now switch back and forth from the 3412 to another source and have the 3412 remember its 16x9 and 1080i settings. Weird.

|
post #570 of 43086 Old 06-10-2006, 07:35 AM

Hello everyone. For several months, I've been reading the Anthem AVM 50 AND Statement D2 threads while anticipating the arrival of my AVM 50, MCA 50, and MCA 20 amplifiers. They finally arrived two weeks ago, but I have yet to hook anything up, as I am in the process of building an equipment rack to house them in. I have taken them out of the box and admired them for many an hour. My wife and kids think I'm nuts!

I have plugged both the MCA 50 and MCA 20 into the wall outlet to make sure they turn on. When I did this, I listenened to see if I could hear any noise, but they are both dead silent. When I plugged the AVM 50(version 1.o1) in, I turned the little switch above the power cord on and it was dead silent. When I press the Main button on the front cover to turn the unit on, however, I could hear a low level electronic humming noise. The noise seems to be coming from the right front side of the unit. Looking into the vents, I can see what looks like a torroidal transformer. I believe the sound is coming from this part. I have tried plugging the unit into other outlets in my house, but it's still there. It's a low level sound, which I can hear while I'm approx. 2 feet away from the unit.

Does anyone else's AVM 50 make this noise? Is this normal for this unit? I've read the FAQ section on the Anthem website and ensured that the one dimmer I have in my house was turned off.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page