post #5761 of 43422 Old 04-15-2007, 01:48 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Well, it looks like the video section in my D2 may have died. Since last weekend I've only used it for audio for watching cable TV (component straight to display). Went to watch a BD disc today and no video output from the D2. No setup screen. Hdmi cable is fine and so is input on display - DVD player works just fine directly connected. D2 never sees video input from DVD player via HDMI or Tivo via s-video. Did a power cycle or two and nothing is different. So, I'll guess I'll email Nick and see if he has any ideas.

larry

Larry,
If you want to try to diagnose this further yourself, start by focussing on the video output from the D2. Turn off or disconnect all your input sources so that there is no video input. Then see if you can get the Anthem generated video to your display from either the Main Component or HDMI outputs. This would include the blue screen background (the default with no video input), the Setup menu, and the Video Source Adjust menu.

Work it like you are setting things up from scratch. Try setting a different Setup / Video Output resolution for example. Try both settings of Setup / Video Output / HDMI Sync.

Make sure you have the remote sending commands to the Main path, and that what is supposed to be happening is actually happening in the Anthem's front panel display.

All that sort of basic stuff.

But I'll tell you the first thing I always check if there is an HDMI video problem is whether the HDMI plugs are fully inserted in the sockets at both ends. It only takes a little bit of slippage (under the weight of the cable for example) to lose the connection.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5762 of 43422 Old 04-15-2007, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Another intersting discovery (for me anyway). The Bell Expressvu 9200 series receiver (PVR + HDTV) does not output multi-channel sound over the HDMI output - only 2-channel - which means I have to leave my optical hooked up....anyone else experienced this?

Edit: Upon further review it appears that the 9200 HDMI is outputting PCM that the AVM50 is interpreting as 2-channel .... are there any Canucks out there with the Expressvu 9200 working over the HDMI with sound? what am i doing wrong? I thought i tried ALL the audio options out from the 9200 (and the Bell helpdesk, as usual, was HELPLESS) -

thanks

bill
post #5763 of 43422 Old 04-15-2007, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Which device is confusing you here? The XA2 or the D2?

For HD-DVD playback over HDMI to the D2 you want to set the XA2 to PCM output. Then select a high quality track from your disc (typically the TrueHD track). The XA2 decodes it and sends it to the D2 as a set of PCM streams.

The D2 sees it as multi-channel, high bandwidth, digital audio. There's no DTS or DD involved at all because there's no "bitstream" going to the D2. If you have a 7.1 speaker setup, you should be able to engage one of the post processing modes (such as Dolby Pro Logic IIx) to raise the 5.1 channel PCM input to the 7.1 speaker output.
--Bob

Thanks Bob,

One more question, when I go to setting on the disk, all I see under Menu Audio is a check box for Button Audio, am I doing something wrong?
post #5764 of 43422 Old 04-15-2007, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:

Larry,
If you want to try to diagnose this further yourself, start by focussing on the video output from the D2. Turn off or disconnect all your input sources so that there is no video input. Then see if you can get the Anthem generated video to your display from either the Main Component or HDMI outputs. This would include the blue screen background (the default with no video input), the Setup menu, and the Video Source Adjust menu.

Work it like you are setting things up from scratch. Try setting a different Setup / Video Output resolution for example. Try both settings of Setup / Video Output / HDMI Sync.

Make sure you have the remote sending commands to the Main path, and that what is supposed to be happening is actually happening in the Anthem's front panel display.

All that sort of basic stuff.

But I'll tell you the first thing I always check if there is an HDMI video problem is whether the HDMI plugs are fully inserted in the sockets at both ends. It only takes a little bit of slippage (under the weight of the cable for example) to lose the connection.
--Bob

I did some of that. I had to disconnect the HDMI cable output to connect to my Oppo to verify the cable and P50 were working. After putting it back still zip on HDMI output. No blue screen (for once I'd like to see a blue screen ) and no setup output. It doesn't see any video input, HDMI or s-video (according to status display).

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #5765 of 43422 Old 04-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard_king View Post

Another intersting discovery (for me anyway). The Bell Expressvu 9200 series receiver (PVR + HDTV) does not output multi-channel sound over the HDMI output - only 2-channel - which means I have to leave my optical hooked up....anyone else experienced this?

Edit: Upon further review it appears that the 9200 HDMI is outputting PCM that the AVM50 is interpreting as 2-channel .... are there any Canucks out there with the Expressvu 9200 working over the HDMI with sound? what am i doing wrong? I thought i tried ALL the audio options out from the 9200 (and the Bell helpdesk, as usual, was HELPLESS) -

thanks

bill

It is not unusual for older HDMI devices to only put out stereo audio on HDMI (which goes out as 2 channels of PCM) since they expect the HDMI to be hooked directly to a TV and most TVs only handle stereo. Even the Anthems only put out stereo (a 2 channel, PCM "downmix" of the Main path's multi-channel audio) on their HDMI output for precisely this reason.

Some HDMI devices have separate audio output settings for digital audio on their optical output and on their HDMI output. Look for both places to set this. You have to set the digital audio for "bitstream" output (possibly labeled "Dolby Digital") to get the multi-channel bitstream sent to the D2. By default it will likely be set to "PCM" output (possibly labeled "stereo") under the assumption the other side of the HDMI cable can't handle a Dolby Digital bitstream.

Also be aware that even if you have everything set up correctly, the vast majority of cable TV programs are only broadcast in normal mono or stereo sound. This will come across either the optical cable or the HDMI cable as 1 or 2 channels of PCM. Only those programs broadcast in Dolby Digital audio can be played as multi-channel. And even then, not all DD programs are DD5.1. Some are merely DD2.0 -- still stereo but sent as a Dolby Digital bitstream.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #5766 of 43422 Old 04-15-2007, 03:09 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

I did some of that. I had to disconnect the HDMI cable output to connect to my Oppo to verify the cable and P50 were working. After putting it back still zip on HDMI output. No blue screen (for once I'd like to see a blue screen ) and no setup output. It doesn't see any video input, HDMI or s-video (according to status display).

larry

Yes it sounds like your video board is dead. You should be able to get the Anthem's internally generated video independent of any input video sources, and indeed that's the way to test it. Focus on getting the Anthem output working correctly first, and then see if there are still problems when you actually turn on your video input sources.

I would try Main Component output as well (again using just the Anthem's own internally generated video), as that would eliminate the possibility that it is just the HDMI output socket which is bad.
--Bob

post #5767 of 43422 Old 04-15-2007, 03:10 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

Thanks Bob,

One more question, when I go to setting on the disk, all I see under Menu Audio is a check box for Button Audio, am I doing something wrong?

I'm afraid your question has me confused. I'm not sure which menus you are talking about. Perhaps one of the XA2 owners here could chime in.
--Bob

post #5768 of 43422 Old 04-15-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:

I'm afraid your question has me confused. I'm not sure which menus you are talking about. Perhaps one of the XA2 owners here could chime in.
--Bob

He's talking about the HD DVD Movie menu, NOT the player Setup menu. The button option turns the clicks on and off when navigating the menu.
post #5769 of 43422 Old 04-15-2007, 05:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Well, it looks like the video section in my D2 may have died. Since last weekend I've only used it for audio for watching cable TV (component straight to display). Went to watch a BD disc today and no video output from the D2. No setup screen. Hdmi cable is fine and so is input on display - DVD player works just fine directly connected. D2 never sees video input from DVD player via HDMI or Tivo via s-video. Did a power cycle or two and nothing is different. So, I'll guess I'll email Nick and see if he has any ideas.

larry

This happened to me once about a month after I had the unit.

I did a backup of settings, then did a reinitialization to original configuration, video came back and then I reset to later software update and restored settings.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #5770 of 43422 Old 04-15-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard_king View Post

thanks

bill

Sadly we also discovered the same issue with the 9200, we currently have it connected to the optical connection for audio. The manual also indicates that multi channel will only be output on the optical connection.

Although a fairly new device for Bell, its an obsolete Dish Network device, and Bob's comments certainly likely apply here.

Brian
post #5771 of 43422 Old 04-15-2007, 06:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

It should do it just fine. I had the Sony BD player passing 24 through the D2. You just have to set the Frame Lock on and it will pass it through while leaving the other inputs at 60hz. I did have audio issues doing this though, for some reason the newest firmware I got from Anthem made it so I could get 24 video just fine, but I would lose audio. The firmware I had before (e?) worked just fine for both audio and video.

Thanks Kris, this sounds promising. Obviously it would be nice if they could get any potential audio problems worked out as well!

Quote:

larry

Unbelievable. This has been one hell of a week for D2 issues. I can't help but wonder if this has anything to do with the bad video boards that I was told about, as your unit is one of the newer ones.

I hope you get this resolved quickly Larry.
post #5772 of 43422 Old 04-16-2007, 05:08 AM

Quote:

Unbelievable. This has been one hell of a week for D2 issues. I can't help but wonder if this has anything to do with the bad video boards that I was told about, as your unit is one of the newer ones.

Looks that way. Mine was never flakey, it just stopped working (video, audio is fine). Must be payback for only having to wait 1.5 weeks to get it.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #5773 of 43422 Old 04-16-2007, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht View Post

This happened to me once about a month after I had the unit.

I did a backup of settings, then did a reinitialization to original configuration, video came back and then I reset to later software update and restored settings.

I did download the PC program and save my settings and was going to trying that. I ran out of time, hopefully tonight I'll get a chance. Maybe there's hope...

larry

post #5774 of 43422 Old 04-16-2007, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Looks that way. Mine was never flakey, it just stopped working (video, audio is fine). Must be payback for only having to wait 1.5 weeks to get it.

larry

Well, at least you appear to have a positive attitude about it. I don't know that I would.
post #5775 of 43422 Old 04-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 66
1080p/24...

With pre-Frame Lock software:
Use Live Video Settings Editor and trial and error in hope of finding magic numbers.

With current software:
If source puts out 23.976 Hz (technically, Blu-ray is not 24.000) and display accepts that, set Frame Lock to Auto in the video processing menu Preamp output frame rate will be identical to source frame rate, overriding menu 8 setting.

Suggestion - set one layer with Frame Lock Off (e.g. DVD1) and another with Frame Lock Auto (e.g. DVD2) all else being equal. Press the DVD button to toggle between the two (you will have to unless you never watch 60 Hz sources). There is no On setting because some sources cannot be locked on to.

Back door in case Frame Lock is turned on and screen becomes blank (i.e. your display does not accept source's rate) - press and hold Mode, when front panel says Scale Output press Mode twice again so Frame Lock is displayed, then press up or down arrow key to change setting from Auto to Off.

Further questions or comments: sfitech at sonicfrontiers dot com

Edit: Set menu 8 output to 60 Hz (or 50 Hz if you are in a PAL region) regardless of Frame Lock status

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #5776 of 43422 Old 04-16-2007, 12:27 PM

I had forgotten about the frame lock setting when I tried the 24fps output to the RS1. I went back and changed frame lock to auto and the 24fps seems to be working correctly with my Toshiba XA2 as far as I can tell. I've only looked at one HDDVD, but it seems like the motion is smoother. I haven't tried an SD DVD yet, but I will check more this evening.
post #5777 of 43422 Old 04-16-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Well, at least you appear to have a positive attitude about it. I don't know that I would.

That's just my "forum face". You win some, you lose some. It's not like I can go get my money back and buy something comparable from another manufacturer unless I went to a 2 piece solution (which is not out of the question).

larry

post #5778 of 43422 Old 04-16-2007, 07:02 PM

With Frame lock set to auto and output set to 1080P/24 I am having trouble with other sources such as my desktop. On the desktop I get horizontal lines scrolling up the screen. I guess the Auto should take care of this but I don't think it is glitch free.
Looks like I will have to change the output anytime I want to watch in 24 fps unless I bypass the Anthem with a player that will output 24 fps directly to the projector.
post #5779 of 43422 Old 04-16-2007, 07:29 PM

Hi. I am a new member and I have also been waiting 4 weeks now for a AVM 50. I will be hooking up all my video sources with HDMI. What source input should I use if connecting to a 1280x720p dlp tv. PS3 720p or 1080i? Oppo DV-98HD 480p or 720p or 1080i? Directv HDR 10-250 480i or 720p or 1080i? Hp Digital Entertainment pc DVI to HDMI 720p or 1080i? Thanks.
post #5780 of 43422 Old 04-16-2007, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post

1080p/24...

With pre-Frame Lock software:
Use Live Video Settings Editor and trial and error in hope of finding magic numbers.

With current software:
If source puts out 23.976 Hz (technically, Blu-ray is not 24.000) and display accepts that, set Frame Lock to Auto in the video processing menu Preamp output frame rate will be identical to source frame rate, overriding menu 8 setting.

Suggestion - set one layer with Frame Lock Off (e.g. DVD1) and another with Frame Lock Auto (e.g. DVD2) all else being equal. Press the DVD button to toggle between the two (you will have to unless you never watch 60 Hz sources). There is no On setting because some sources cannot be locked on to.

Back door in case Frame Lock is turned on and screen becomes blank (i.e. your display does not accept source's rate) - press and hold Mode, when front panel says Scale Output press Mode twice again so Frame Lock is displayed, then press up or down arrow key to change setting from Auto to Off.

Further questions or comments: sfitech at sonicfrontiers dot com

Edit: Set menu 8 output to 60 Hz (or 50 Hz if you are in a PAL region) regardless of Frame Lock status

Thanks for posting this Nick, much appreciated!

For Nick or anyone else: what software is considered "pre-Frame Lock"? Edit: nevermind, looks like Frame Lock was added with version 1.10.
post #5781 of 43422 Old 04-16-2007, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I am running a JL F113 sub, and not getting the Bass I was looking for. I am running V1.10 software on the D2.

I have the front speakers set to small, and crossover at 80hz THX. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks
post #5782 of 43422 Old 04-16-2007, 09:08 PM

Is there any way to select stereo audio out when DD5.1 is fed into the D2? There are times when watching cable tv that I would prefer to listen to it in stereo rather than DD5.1.
post #5783 of 43422 Old 04-17-2007, 07:42 AM

Quote:

I am running a JL F113 sub, and not getting the Bass I was looking for. I am running V1.10 software on the D2.

I have the front speakers set to small, and crossover at 80hz THX. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks

If it's multiple channel PCM source you are probably hitting the "LFE bug" that is fixed in 1.11. Does raising the subwoofer +10db on the D2 make things sound about right?

larry

post #5784 of 43422 Old 04-17-2007, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If it's multiple channel PCM source you are probably hitting the "LFE bug" that is fixed in 1.11. Does raising the subwoofer +10db on the D2 make things sound about right?

larry

A little better. I will try the upgrade this weekend.

Michael
post #5785 of 43422 Old 04-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_fitz View Post

Is there any way to select stereo audio out when DD5.1 is fed into the D2? There are times when watching cable tv that I would prefer to listen to it in stereo rather than DD5.1.

The easiest way is likely to switch the digital audio output of your cable TV box to "PCM", possibly labeled "stereo", which tells it not to send the DD5.1 bitstream to the D2. You will get the standard stereo program audio instead (sent to the D2 as 2 channels of PCM).

There's no way I know of to get the D2's Main path audio to downmix to stereo and come out the main speaker outputs.

However you will always get a stereo downmix on the HDMI output if you are using the TV's speakers. You will also always get a stereo downmix if you Copy Main to the Zone2, Zone3, or VCR/Tape analog Record outputs.
--Bob

post #5786 of 43422 Old 04-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Thanks

Also make sure you have the crossover in the sub itself either disabled or cranked up the highest frequency to keep it out of the way. The D2 is already doing the crossover processing and you don't want it done twice.

This may sound silly, but make sure you have the D2 connected to the line level input on the sub and not to its speaker level inputs.

And make sure you haven't accidentally engaged any of the temporary audio adjustments on the D2 that might lower bass output, such as Dynamics or the Sub/LFE adjustments available via buttons on the remote control.

Finally, use a Sound Pressure Level (SPL) meter when setting the Sub output level in the D2's Setup / Speaker Level menu. The inexpensive Radio Shack meter is the one everyone uses. It is MUCH tougher to set Sub levels well by ear alone.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Measure the different frequencies of test tones available in the Setup / Speaker Configuration / Room Resonance Filter menu. You will likely discover that you have signifcant peaks and dips in your bass response. Substantial dips can sound like weak bass when in fact it is just that your room is sucking up the bass (cancelling it due to reflection). Moving the Sub around a bit can have a big impact on these. You may also have cancellation around the cross-over frequency if you have not properly adjust the Bass Polarity and Phase to keep Sub output from being cancelled by main speaker bass output.
--Bob

post #5787 of 43422 Old 04-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacyrocks View Post

Hi. I am a new member and I have also been waiting 4 weeks now for a AVM 50. I will be hooking up all my video sources with HDMI. What source input should I use if connecting to a 1280x720p dlp tv. PS3 720p or 1080i? Oppo DV-98HD 480p or 720p or 1080i? Directv HDR 10-250 480i or 720p or 1080i? Hp Digital Entertainment pc DVI to HDMI 720p or 1080i? Thanks.

Welcome! There's a collection of links with all sorts of useful info in the first post in this thread.

Check out the one marked "video calibration for non-ISF techs". That should get you going.
--Bob

post #5788 of 43422 Old 04-17-2007, 12:04 PM

Talked to Nick today, my D2 is getting replaced. Supposedly replacement units get a high priority in the distribution queue. We'll see...

larry

post #5789 of 43422 Old 04-17-2007, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Talked to Nick today, my D2 is getting replaced. Supposedly replacement units get a high priority in the distribution queue. We'll see...

larry

That is the PROPER priority. Owners have already
paid and committed - they should get priority.
post #5790 of 43422 Old 04-17-2007, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

larry

You'll probably be getting my unit then!

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page