Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 205 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #6121 of 43104 Old 05-01-2007, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would, but I don't really think it is a timing issue. I think it has something to do with the HDMI handshake. Sometimes the stutters are very subtle and if there is motion when the stutter occurs, it can be hard to recognize. That is probably the reason it seems like I can watch several minutes without a problem. It also seems like some of the stutters are much less severe. When the severe ones happen it is easy to see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6122 of 43104 Old 05-01-2007, 10:05 PM

If I hook all my audio/video sources to the Anthem AVM 50 (hdmi, comp video + optical, comp video + digi coax).. what's the best way to send the audio to my Yamaha RX-V2700? I don't have any amps other than my receiver.

I assume the AVM 50 does all the video/audio switching, outputs the sound to the receiver, the receiver stays on the same input all the time. Am I correct in this?
post #6123 of 43104 Old 05-01-2007, 10:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Morton View Post

I would, but I don't really think it is a timing issue. I think it has something to do with the HDMI handshake. Sometimes the stutters are very subtle and if there is motion when the stutter occurs, it can be hard to recognize. That is probably the reason it seems like I can watch several minutes without a problem. It also seems like some of the stutters are much less severe. When the severe ones happen it is easy to see.

This is exactly what I see as well.

In other news: my OSD problem with the Setup menu is not resolved. Currently I am only getting a black and white version of it, and I can't highlight the menu I want to enter. Made sure I was using "main". Changed inputs. Changed a few settings and backed out. Nothing helped.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6124 of 43104 Old 05-02-2007, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

In other news: my OSD problem with the Setup menu is not resolved. Currently I am only getting a black and white version of it, and I can't highlight the menu I want to enter. Made sure I was using "main". Changed inputs. Changed a few settings and backed out. Nothing helped.

Biiizzzaaare.. Rob.

Loving mine so far.. despite minor issues (it's a complex world!)

Nick sent me 1.11e to see if it will solve my 1080i input over component, no clue yet what to do about the HTPC not recognizing the D2 - might have to get a DVI Detective, not sure yet. Maybe a new new vid card might work, I might trade in two cards to get a newer one. (running x1900xt right now)

Nick was kind enough to also forewarn me that the PS3 might not like v1.11e and such, so I'm not 100% sure I want to upgrade yet unless I can rollback to v1.11 as the PS3 and the HD DVD players are more important for now than 1080i over component for the xbox, etc.

However, I might need it if I switch my 8300HD to component to get around HDCP issues with remote usage over coax (channel 3 old school!) - my wife uses the PVR for a remote TV. Stupidly the 8300HD considers coax output an HDCP threat!!! Nothing to do with the D2, but that might force me to upgrade to 1.11e & risk PS3 playback.

But I must say I love the configuration options, the scaler side, and all with the D2 - brilliant!

For my HD-A2 I'm using DVD1 for 1.78 aspect, DVD2 for 1.85 (minor vertical stretch and minor horizontal crop to maintain aspect), DVD3 for 2.35 (full vertical stretch) and DVD4 for 2.40 (full vertical stretch and minor horizontal crop to maintain aspect).

And then using TV1-4 with my PS3 with the same aspect based config using the "copy from" thing in setup then simply change HDMI input & name.. love it. Of course doing it from Live Config would have been even easier, but I like how it's quite dooable without.

Of course now I need my RS1 back so I can hook up my CIH lens & such. Can't wait!

Ciao.
post #6125 of 43104 Old 05-02-2007, 06:46 AM

PS: forgot to ask specifically if there are a number of you using v1.11e with a PS3 and not having any problems? As soon as I find out I can roll back I'm trying v1.11e.
post #6126 of 43104 Old 05-02-2007, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreborS View Post

If I hook all my audio/video sources to the Anthem AVM 50 (hdmi, comp video + optical, comp video + digi coax).. what's the best way to send the audio to my Yamaha RX-V2700? I don't have any amps other than my receiver.

I assume the AVM 50 does all the video/audio switching, outputs the sound to the receiver, the receiver stays on the same input all the time. Am I correct in this?

To make the best use of the AVM50 you should connect the 6ch analog (or 8ch if your receiver can handle it or send sub output direct to sub) outputs to the receiver and put the receiver in "direct mode" so it does not process the incoming audio (sent direct to amplifier section). If you can't do that you're "crippling" the audio from the AVM50. Get a multichannel amp ASAP.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #6127 of 43104 Old 05-02-2007, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Good News! Bad News!

Good News: got my new HDMI cable and connected it from the D2 to the RS1. I now have 1080p/60 working! Confirmed this with both 1080i from my 8300, as well as 480i from my Pioneer Elite player. 480i to the D2 and 1080p/60 to the RS1 looks pretty good! I'm pleased (and relieved) by this.

More Good News: Frame Lock with 1080p/24 seems to be working again. Not sure why a new HDMI output cable would affect this, or even if it did. But it was definitely working and locked on as confirmed by the info screen.

Bad News: Even with Frame Lock working and sending 1080p/24 to the RS1, I was getting a stutter in the picture about once every minute. Haven't had time to change to 1080p/60 to see if the stutter disappears, but I would guess that it would (I would just need to turn Frame Lock to off to di this, correct?).

More Bad News: My OSD issue has come up again. Not sure what is going on. Checked all the setting again, and they were correct. Sometimes the OSD would pop up on the screen after being in the Setup menu for about a minute or more. Very confusing.

Good News: I have been in contact with Nick, and he has confirmed that he has ordered a Pioneer Elite BD player to see what is going on with the stuttering at 1080p/24. They also have the JVC projector, so it will be the exact combo that both Randall and I are using. Nick, if you read this, thanks!

Cool to see that you now got a stable of 1080p60 setup with the D2 and RS1. NOw lets Anthem come up with a solution to stabilize 1080p24 through the D2.
post #6128 of 43104 Old 05-02-2007, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

I am on my PDA and can't search the thread. I am heading over after work to order a AVM50 or D2. Which way should I go? Is the D2 worth the additional $2K.

anseK®

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Format War Neutral
Panasonic DMP-BD55K
Samsung BD-P1200
Toshiba HD-A2
post #6129 of 43104 Old 05-02-2007, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

OK guys I appreciate your thoughts and expertise in this thread.

Talked to my local dealer and he gave me what seem like pretty good prices on an AVM50 or D2. The D2 would be $1700 more. Use will be 80% HT-20% Music.

I am awaiting a JVC RS1 pj, and will be shooting on a 122" wide 2.35:1 screen. Haven't decided HD or BD, but will have one of them. Warner HD cable is my other source.

Torn between the AVM50 ort D2 for my application. I could get the AVM50 and use the $1700 towards a high end touch screen universal remote (need a universal remote eventually), but OTOH could spend the $ on a D2 if there is a real upgrade path future for it over the AVM50 and get a cheaper remote.

I've read a lot of this thread and am concerned about what seems to be buggy firmware. Am I being

Thoughts? Feel free to PM me as well. I thank you in advance
post #6130 of 43104 Old 05-02-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishysan View Post

Nick sent me 1.11e to see if it will solve my 1080i input over component, no clue yet what to do about the HTPC not recognizing the D2 - might have to get a DVI Detective, not sure yet. Maybe a new new vid card might work, I might trade in two cards to get a newer one. (running x1900xt right now)
Ciao.

Are you going from DVI to HDMI with the PC? The DVI Detective will not help establish a connection. Once you make the connection it works great to maintain it when switching sources. I had to have my PC source selected and boot the PC to establish a connection. Without the detective if I switched sources I would lose the PC connection and would have to reboot again.
post #6131 of 43104 Old 05-02-2007, 08:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Mike,
That sounds like an 8300 problem. Trying a different 8300 would certainly make sense.

I believe the 8300 can be set to send analog audio program content out its digital feed, so you should be able to use the coax for both digital audio programming and analog audio programming. The analog programming will be sent over the digital coax output as 1 or 2 channels of PCM.

Try turning off AutoDig for that input in the Anthem and see if you can set the 8300 to send everything over the coax feed.

It is also possible that you have ground loop power coming in on your cable feed and the popping is a symptom of that.
--Bob

I set the D1 to only receive the digital signal and not switch to the analog. No change, still have the popping.

The 8300HD has two settings for audio out: Two-channel only and dolby digital. When it is set in two-channel only it provides a 2 channel signal for all channels. When set to dolby digital it sends the 5.1 signal for those channels that provide the 5.1 signal and a 2-channel signal for those that don't. The popping only occurs when I have the audio out set to dolby digital and can occur when I switch between two digital cable channels that have different audio signals, but it always occurs when I switch between a digital and analog channel.

My next step will be to switch out the 8300HD.

Thanks,
Mike

"A banker: the person who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it rains" - Mark Twain
post #6132 of 43104 Old 05-02-2007, 08:50 AM

I figured I'd chime in for this one this time, save the regulars saying this..

As people have said, a lot of discussion goes on about "bugs" because people are looking to solve problems, and there's more happy people trying to work these things out and posting than people just saying "it's great" over and over. Not much to talk about when it's just working.

The point to remember is it's a complex piece surrounded by buggy sources. The whole HDMI thing is a mess. (and throw HDCP in there too.. ugh)

Cable/satellite boxes are generally crap, and cause problems..

HD DVD & BluRay are very new and also buggy.

Every manufacturer out there has implemented HDMI differently and often incorrectly.

Everything has software now so that products can be shipped before they are finished and we are forced to update. Anthem fortunately is doing that though so they can change and accommodate all these other devices out there that are moving targets.

A processor ( AVM50 or D2 ) is stuck in the middle trying to make sense of all this and overcome all the problems that other devices have and connect all the dots while accounting for all the flake factor, etc. etc.

I'm surprised any of our new stuff works at all it's so buggered!

But it's fun - and when it's all working it's sweeeeet.
post #6133 of 43104 Old 05-02-2007, 08:55 AM
gdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANSEK View Post

I am on my PDA and can't search the thread. I am heading over after work to order a AVM50 or D2. Which way should I go? Is the D2 worth the additional $2K.

Well, D2 owners will say yes, and AVM-50 owners will say no.

Plus, any D2 owners from last year didn't even have the choice (AVM-50 wasn't out). It was D2 or nothing.

D2 has an extra DSP chip that is for future enhancements such as room EQ. Currently it is unused, so you're paying for some future potential.

I think that the audio section is a bit more high-end on the D2, but the video processing is the same.

So it comes down to - do you want to spend $2K on *maybe* improved audio - subject to ALL the other equipment in the chain? Plus potential audio enhancements in the future?

- Gordon

We don"t see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin
post #6134 of 43104 Old 05-02-2007, 09:06 AM
gdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lem View Post

OK guys I appreciate your thoughts and expertise in this thread.

Talked to my local dealer and he gave me what seem like pretty good prices on an AVM50 or D2. The D2 would be $1700 more. Use will be 80% HT-20% Music.

I've read a lot of this thread and am concerned about what seems to be buggy firmware. Am I being ...

Based on your requirements (80% HT) you might want to go with the AVM-50. The D2 offers a bit higher end audio (imperceptible to many) and future enhancements using it's second DSP chip (AVM-50 has one). Video features are identical.

The reason you read about buggy firmware - Anthem is commited to updating the firmware, so there is avid interest in testing it and reporting on it. So you end up with a lot of chatter about this component and that component and HDMI etc.

I guess you must have missed our mascot, the Trampoline Man?

The Anthem processors frankly push the envelope so far that there is bound to be a lot of odd stuff happening. There really isn't a better choice for the capabilities. You can either jump in now, or wait 2 years until all this becomes mainstream.

The nice thing is that Anthem is very responsive to their customers. That has made me more comfortable with my investment.

- Gordon

post #6135 of 43104 Old 05-02-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishysan View Post

PS: forgot to ask specifically if there are a number of you using v1.11e with a PS3 and not having any problems? As soon as I find out I can roll back I'm trying v1.11e.

I am running 1.11e with PS3 and have seen no issues what so ever. I also needed the e code to solve my 1080i issue through component from my cable box. e code had been the magic code for me XA2 and PS3 passing 1080p with no issues.
post #6136 of 43104 Old 05-02-2007, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdc View Post

So it comes down to - do you want to spend $2K on *maybe* improved audio - subject to ALL the other equipment in the chain? Plus potential audio enhancements in the future?

It is more than "maybe".... The D2 audio improvement are significantly better but you need to have a good system to enjoy and appreciate the benefice. The room EQ is a big plus too.
post #6137 of 43104 Old 05-02-2007, 09:20 AM
gdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolstoi View Post

It is more than "maybe".... The D2 audio improvement are significantly better but you need to have a good system to enjoy and appreciate the benefice. The room EQ is a big plus too.

Yes, having not experienced it myself, and knowing that the rest of the components will affect the perceived improvements, I felt I needed to qualify my statement.

In my case, I was an audiophile before becoming a videophile - so top notch audio is high priority for me. I am actually glad that the AVM-50 wasn't available last spring, or else I might have gone with that. I'm super interested in the room EQ - combining that with some room treatments.

- Gordon

post #6138 of 43104 Old 05-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks fishy, gdc, tolstoi...

I know the folks here are as critical as they get, so I wasn't sure if the buggy posts were minor or they prevented picture and audio from going through. Fishy, didn't think about the D2 (AVM50) being in the middle of the mess- thanks for pointing that out and makes my thought process more clear.

I have B&W 803s, accompanying center and surrounds (please not trying to start a side thread by stating this), with separate 7x300w amp power, so that's what a D2/AVM50 would be sending audio to. Room is dedicated room 14x21, front wall 1 inch acoustic treatments over it's entirety, acoustic panels at first reflection points, base traps in rear corners. Does my situation sound like you would hear a difference between the D2 & AVM50 in my room?

Cannot audition either the D2 or AVM50 at home, so no way to really tell. Some of the posts have alluded to the upgradability of the D2 as a benefit, so I guess I'm debating as to whether $1700 is a worthy investment down the road or not...
post #6139 of 43104 Old 05-02-2007, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lem View Post

Thanks fishy, gdc, tolstoi...

I know the folks here are as critical as they get, so I wasn't sure if the buggy posts were minor or they prevented picture and audio from going through. Fishy, didn't think about the D2 (AVM50) being in the middle of the mess- thanks for pointing that out and makes my thought process more clear.

I have B&W 803s, accompanying center and surrounds (please not trying to start a side thread by stating this), with separate 7x300w amp power, so that's what a D2/AVM50 would be sending audio to. Room is dedicated room 14x21, front wall 1 inch acoustic treatments over it's entirety, acoustic panels at first reflection points, base traps in rear corners. Does my situation sound like you would hear a difference between the D2 & AVM50 in my room?

Cannot audition either the D2 or AVM50 at home, so no way to really tell. Some of the posts have alluded to the upgradability of the D2 as a benefit, so I guess I'm debating as to whether $1700 is a worthy investment down the road or not...

With the B&W 803 you will hear improvement provide by the D2. Which brand and model of amp are you using?

Yes the D2 will have a better upgrade path. Anthem is apparently working on the D3. What it will include I really don't know.
post #6140 of 43104 Old 05-02-2007, 09:46 AM

For what it's worth-

My post from last week describes my problems with a new D2 and AVM50 going into my home system upgrade. They would not pass 1080i although I could do 720p in any form. NuTech the regional distibutor trouble shot them for an hour with Anthem Friday. Both are defective and going to be replaced. They could not figure out why they behaved as described but determined the fault was inside them and not with the rest of my system.

My dealer called me today having just discussed things with Anthem this morning. He said my units were shipped with the Gennum 9350 board. This board can NOT handle the bandwidth required for the 1080p protocol. As of 4/28, the Gennum 9531 board is being used. It WILL handle up to 2000p protocols for the future. I am being FedExed new units with the new boards already tested to work right with the latest software.

Does this answer a lot of people's questions now? Does this sound right?

Scott
post #6141 of 43104 Old 05-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

I'm in a similar boat. I have all Axiom speakers (M80's floors, VP150 center, and QS8's surround). Will buy an A5 to go along with my choice of pre_proc. I'm leaninf AVM50 but can be swayed.

anseK®

Format War Neutral
Panasonic DMP-BD55K
Samsung BD-P1200
Toshiba HD-A2
post #6142 of 43104 Old 05-02-2007, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNORD View Post

For what it's worth-

My post from last week describes my problems with a new D2 and AVM50 going into my home system upgrade. They would not pass 1080i although I could do 720p in any form. NuTech the regional distibutor trouble shot them for an hour with Anthem Friday. Both are defective and going to be replaced. They could not figure out why they behaved as described but determined the fault was inside them and not with the rest of my system.

My dealer called me today having just discussed things with Anthem this morning. He said my units were shipped with the Gennum 9350 board. This board can NOT handle the bandwidth required for the 1080p protocol. As of 4/28, the Gennum 9531 board is being used. It WILL handle up to 2000p protocols for the future. I am being FedExed new units with the new boards already tested to work right with the latest software.

Scott

Very timely for me as I am about to order either an AVM50 or D2 tomorrow. Sounds like I need to have the dealer confirm that it has the Gennum 9531 board?
post #6143 of 43104 Old 05-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 867
I seriously doubt the chip change story has been properly explained. The two chips just aren't that different and there are plenty of current owners who are using 1080p/60Hz with the original chip.

At most I suspect it is a case of Anthem getting a bad batch of boards.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #6144 of 43104 Old 05-02-2007, 11:00 AM

Bob, anyone else, do you know whether we can go backwards in versions?

AKA if I try v1.11e and have trouble, can I go back to v1.11 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDL View Post

I am running 1.11e with PS3 and have seen no issues what so ever. I also needed the e code to solve my 1080i issue through component from my cable box. e code had been the magic code for me XA2 and PS3 passing 1080p with no issues.

Thanks Jeff - I want to try it for sure then.

Thanks!
post #6145 of 43104 Old 05-02-2007, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Others have already answered this question very
well. VIDEO is the SAME in both units. The DACs
are better in the D2 and the 2nd DSP is currently
idle waiting for some future upgrade from Anthem.

The decision really comes down 100% to your AUDIO
chain beyond the Pre-Pro.

If your AMPs and Speakers are top notch - go with
the D2.

If the rest of your chain is not top notch - but you
someday plan to upgrade - then go with the D2.
When the rest of the chain is upgraded - then the
AVM50 becomes the weak link.

If your audio chain is NOT TOP NOTCH and you
have no plans to upgrade - by all means go with
the AVM50.

I hope that logic helps.
post #6146 of 43104 Old 05-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 867
Fishysan,
You can go back, *BUT* a number of folks have had problems with the software install application itself for V1.10 and V1.11. These were fixed in roughly V1.11c. The problems are related to how the installer app talks to the Anthem and so it depends on the computer you are using and whether you are trying to use a USB to Serial adapter for example.

So there is a smallish risk that attemtping a V1.11 install will fail for you. If the install works then you will have a good V1.11 software set even though you are backing up from V1.11e.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #6147 of 43104 Old 05-02-2007, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNORD View Post

Scott

I agree with Bob - PURE BS from your dealer.
He is trying to impress you with Chaff.

I have been running 1080p with my D2 for a year. ROCK SOLID.

It makes 100% logic that Anthem would switch over to the
9351 - BECAUSE the 9350 is not being manufactured any more.
The Specifications are the same for both chips. The Power
Dissipation for the 9351 is significantly lower - always a good
thing.
post #6148 of 43104 Old 05-02-2007, 11:58 AM

Thanks Bob!

I decided to not go the USB route and bought a serial cable last night, but can't easily fish it through the wall. Oh well. I'll bring a PC into the room connect it directly to the projector as a display (having disconnected all HDMI wires from the D2) and update it. Hope for the best..

I also have a query in with Nick, so I'll see what he says about the other issues.

Just can't wait till all the pieces are inline! ( new CIH lens, RS1 & the D2 in action! )

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Fishysan,
You can go back, *BUT* a number of folks have had problems with the software install application itself for V1.10 and V1.11. These were fixed in roughly V1.11c. The problems are related to how the installer app talks to the Anthem and so it depends on the computer you are using and whether you are trying to use a USB to Serial adapter for example.

So there is a smallish risk that attempting a V1.11 install will fail for you. If the install works then you will have a good V1.11 software set even though you are backing up from V1.11e.
--Bob

post #6149 of 43104 Old 05-02-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Morton View Post

Are you going from DVI to HDMI with the PC? The DVI Detective will not help establish a connection. Once you make the connection it works great to maintain it when switching sources. I had to have my PC source selected and boot the PC to establish a connection. Without the detective if I switched sources I would lose the PC connection and would have to reboot again.

Woah - I'd missed this, thank god I just did a search about HTPC again.. Thanks Randall. That's unfortunate!! Glad I spotted this as I might have ordered a Detective for nothing.

I thought of trying again making sure that it was selected on the D2 then booting. I thought I tried that but I can't remember 100% I had the HTPC selection on the D2.

Also, I thought I could try with the HDCP repeating thingy set on so that maybe EDID info will pass through the D2 to the projector and back to the PC.. but not likely .. So not sure yet how to get the HTPC to work via HDMI.

I had the HTPC going through component (only at 720p until I upgrade to v1.11e to fix my 1080i issue with component) and it worked OK. Obviously I want 1080p via digital..

I'll try what you suggested tonight.

Thanks.
post #6150 of 43104 Old 05-02-2007, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

I agree with Bob - PURE BS from your dealer.
He is trying to impress you with Chaff.

I have been running 1080p with my D2 for a year. ROCK SOLID.

It makes 100% logic that Anthem would switch over to the
9351 - BECAUSE the 9350 is not being manufactured any more.
The Specifications are the same for both chips. The Power
Dissipation for the 9351 is significantly lower - always a good
thing.

I agree with Bob and DrHankz 100%.

One of the dealers that I was talking to regarding a D2 purchase did something similar to this. He indicated that it would be about 3 or 4 weeks to get a D2, but it would be worth the wait because these new D2's "have a new upgraded chip in them". He implied that it would have improved performance, and even said that it would probably support HDMI 1.3!!!

I'm sure the "new chip" he was referring to is the Gennum 9351, but as Drhankz says, the actual video performance and capabilities will remain the same.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page