post #6211 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatchaks View Post

I wish I could listen to a D2 in my system, that way I could put any doubts to rest.

Mark

I assume your local Anthem dealer does not
have a D2 in-stock you could try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6212 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Hey are there any D2 with silver face?

I call an installer for avm 50 in silver b/c most of my component are silver face. I guess he did 'nt really hear me saying Avm 50 or something hey quote me a price for a D2 in silver! Then said Anthem stop making them, but he has seen a few.

I wouldn't mine one in silver face, if there is such a thing...I think he was just confuse.

If not does anyone know of a place where they can dip the face to silver.

DJOEL
post #6213 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 11:44 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

I assume your local Anthem dealer does not
have a D2 in-stock you could try?

While Anthem the company is top-notch, the same cannot necessarily be said of the dealer network, at least in my experience.

At the very least, my local dealer employs the single most confident, uninformed, snobby little bastard with whom I have ever had the unpleasantness to deal.

Don't get me wrong, I can handle high-end snobbery. I can't handle misinformation. The Anthem dealer in my area told me that there was no "real" difference between the AVM-50 and D2, that Anthem would not let me try it out before I bought it, and that I couldn't see one running *at all* first because they wouldn't order one unless somebody was buying it. Then they told me that there are *no* projectors on the market that have the necessary pixels for 1080p so I should just buy a 480p one. (I already owned a 720 at the time) Then, when I told him that Sony, at least, had two on the market, he said that the Sony Ruby and Pearl and all the other 1080p projectors on the market were, in fact, using a smaller physical panel and only *really* supported 720p and just used scaling to fool the user. I tried to explain to him that his information might be, at best, out of date, and he told me that 1080p was impossible and that nobody needed it. Then he told me that there aren't any sources at all that can pass it. When I mentioned HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, not to mention the ability to deinterlace 1080i to 1080p, he told me that the new formats only did 1080i and that nothing on the market did 1080i deinterlacing. I told him that the Anthem would deinterlace 1080i and he once again told me that no projectors or TVs would do 1080p. Then he said that a 480p projector hooked up via s-video would always look better than 720 via component because all DVDs are 480. This man should *not* be selling video processors.

This was no more than 3 months ago. I have never spent a dime in that store, nor will I ever. The guy is smug, rude, unhelpful, and WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

Fortunately, I purchased a D1 on Audiogon and dealt with Anthem directly. They were helpful, communicative, friendly, and well-informed. I now have my D2 (D1-HD) in my room and I couldn't be happier. I have a bit of an odd set up, in that I use 2 preamps. The Anthem is used solely as an SSP and video processor. The audio output then runs to an EMM Labs Switchman preamp, which stays at a constant volume on that input, allowing me to adjust the volume with the Anthem remote. All music-only sources go through the Switchman directly, becuase it is a better analog preamp. All game, video, and movie sources go through the Anthem, which handles digital signals better than anything I've ever heard. The Anthem replaced a Sunfire Theater Grand 3, which was used in the same way, and the Anthem is in a different league than the TG-3. The upsampling and processing of DD and other lossy signals is inspired and brilliant. I never, never, never thought DD, DTS, and cable could sound so real.

My hifi consists of some esoteric and expensive(even by audiophile standards) equipment, and I cannot stress enough how well the Anthem fits in along side the rest of it. The difference in sound quality between the Sunfire and the Anthem is remarkable and not at all subtle, if you have the right downstream component. I've *never* been happier with an SSP, a device I never though could actually be made well.

On a different tangent: the people in this thread rock. You guys are helpful, honest, and friendly. THANK YOU for answering so many of my questions without me even having to ask!

My only request: I have yet to be initiated with the bouncing smileys. Please make my pain end. =)
post #6214 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus28 View Post

My only request: I have yet to be initiated with the bouncing smileys. Please make my pain end. =)

Why we just happen to have a fresh batch in today!

For any newbies, this is our mascot. Back around the holidays I commented on the exuberance in this thread with words to the effect of:

"Oh those Anthem owners! Silly grins on the lot of them! Hopping up and down in glee!"

The rest is history.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #6215 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WOW that is some dealer indeed.

Anthem should YANK his franchise for sure.

I'm glad you are a HAPPY D1-HD Owner
post #6216 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Hey are there any D2 with silver face?

I call an installer for avm 50 in silver b/c most of my component are silver face. I guess he did 'nt really hear me saying Avm 50 or something hey quote me a price for a D2 in silver! Then said Anthem stop making them, but he has seen a few.

I wouldn't mine one in silver face, if there is such a thing...I think he was just confuse.

If not does anyone know of a place where they can dip the face to silver.

DJOEL

If they do it, it would likely be a special order: Add 4-6 weeks on to what would otherwise be the lead time.

I believe we had some reports here of European D2's shipping in silver, but that would have been some time ago.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #6217 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I HAVE A NEED to OUTDO BOB
post #6218 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 11:59 AM

Yeah I know the difference between the D2 and the AVM50 is mostly just audio.

$2000 for better audio with the possibility of not being able to discern the difference with my untrained ears, lack of decent amps, and probably compared to you guys mediocre speakers ... I can't really advocate the price difference for the D2.

But you guys are really making me cry.
post #6219 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Morton View Post

I'm not an audiophile and I use my system for home theater only. Going from the 5800 to the D2 was an eye opening(ear opening?) experience. I have the P5 and I never hear any humming or hiss. in quiet passages at reference volume it is totally quiet. In movie viewing I think this adds to the startle factor when the sounds change dramatically for effect. The amp is probably more than I need, but I felt like it would be future proof. The D2 made a much larger difference to me than the amp.

As I'm also a Denon 5800 owner, I would like it if you could expand on your feeling that the D2 is a noticable improvement in sound quality. What is it about the sound of the D2 that you feel is better than the Denon?
post #6220 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Simply because I had been using Lexicon since 1988 - all
the various Models. I honestly never tried any other Pre-Pro
than Lexicon.

I tried Denon 5805 for 48 hours. I decided I would rather
listen to my OLD Lexicon using Optical [non-HDMI] inputs
than the Denon. It just does not compare in sound quality.

The one thing Denon did prove was that I needed a HDMI
Pre-Pro for Blu-Ray and HD DVD listening.

Therefore - Anthem D2 - After I did extensive Research.

Can you describe what it was about the sound quality that "didn't compare".
post #6221 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 12:09 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreborS View Post

Yeah I know the difference between the D2 and the AVM50 is mostly just audio.

$2000 for better audio with the possibility of not being able to discern the difference with my untrained ears, lack of decent amps, and probably compared to you guys mediocre speakers ... I can't really advocate the price difference for the D2.

But you guys are really making me cry.

Remember that there's a comparison sheet in the AVM section of the Anthem site that includes the AVM-50 and the D2.

The video solution is identical in the two of them.

The D2 has a more "exotic" audio solution, a better power supply, and spare DSP processing power that is expected -- eventually -- to be used by the long, long, LONG awaited Anthem Room EQ solution.

There are a scant handful of feature differences between them -- all listed in that comparison sheet.

---------------------------------------------------------

It is perfectly reasonable that the D2 would sound better than the AVM-50 due to the better power supply (a critical factor in any analog circuitry), the higher digital upsampling and the quality of its DACs.

It is also perfectly reasonable that some owners may not hear the difference due to the nature of the rest of their equipment, the conditions of their listening room, and/or their own ability to judge audio.

The AVM-50 is no slouch, by any means, and if you have concerns about other aspects of your home theater you may, quite reasonably, decide to get the AVM-50 and put that money into something else.

But if you can afford the D2, and have nothing more important to spend that money on in your home theater, then by all means get the D2.
--Bob

post #6222 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdguru View Post

Thanks Rob, I remember you from the Pioneer 59avi thread back when I owned that player. I'm looking for either the avm40 or avm50 and don't want to have to replace it for a long time. I'm looking to upgrade due to some of my current prepro's shortcomings which are: unable to apply dolby prologic 2x over the analog inputs, no hdmi, no independent LFE channels boost settings to counter the low lfe problem with hd dvd/bluray, etc. I'm hoping anthem is the answer for me and am in the research process now.

You've come to the right place!

Take some time to read through this mega thread. Lots of great info! And the people here are always willing to help.
post #6223 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I HAVE A NEED to OUTDO BOB

Since I am the one who officially introduced our mascot, I have a NEED to outdo drhankz!

post #6224 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

post #6225 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

Can you describe what it was about the sound quality that "didn't compare".

I'm afraid I can't.

Even though I am an Electrical Engineer - Sound to
me is something personal. I am not qualified to describe
it the way reviewers do in terms I can even equate to.

I did A/B comparisons between the Lexicon and the Denon.
If you had been here - I'm sure you would have heard the
difference. Even my wife - who has no engineering training
of any kind - said I don't like that sound. AGAIN - it is after
a Comparison.

In a vacuum - Denon only - it would have sounded great.
Side-by-Side - a way different story.

I did the same A/B with the Lexicon and D2.

The D2 won. It is sound the way I like it. I know that
is not a professional opinion - but SOUND is personal
post #6226 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Question the AVM 50 vs the D2. The only feature that stands out is the DTS 192. Am I correct to assume an upgrade will allow both of these receivers to play DTS-HD?

Currently I have a Lexicon MC-1 and really really want to upgrade, but I also do not need a digital projector as mine is CRT based right now.

So I'm sure sound wise this is much better than the LEX ( I do like logic 7) , but when is Dolby True HD going to come into the picture.

I was lucky in the order, but I've always been lucky when it comes to killin' folk - Unforgiven cannot wait for the hd-dvd of this gem
post #6227 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

If they do it, it would likely be a special order: Add 4-6 weeks on to what would otherwise be the lead time.

I believe we had some reports here of European D2's shipping in silver, but that would have been some time ago.
--Bob

Thanks Bob good to know.

I'll take silver face if someone has one, and store it till I am ready to upgrade.

Djoel
post #6228 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank527 View Post

Question the AVM 50 vs the D2. The only feature that stands out is the DTS 192. Am I correct to assume an upgrade will allow both of these receivers to play DTS-HD?

Currently I have a Lexicon MC-1 and really really want to upgrade, but I also do not need a digital projector as mine is CRT based right now.

So I'm sure sound wise this is much better than the LEX ( I do like logic 7) , but when is Dolby True HD going to come into the picture.

The D2 has more DSP which may be used for future features (room eq, etc.) and also upconverts everything internally to 24/192k for processing. As it stands, I don't think the AVM's or D2 will ever internally decode DTS HD... but that's a moot point, as all that is required is decoding inside the player.

TureHD is already in the picture if you have an HDMI equiped processor... it is decoded to PCM in the player and passed along to the proc.. all of the new codecs must be converted to PCM prior to processing (bass management, time delay, etc.) and in regards to the new optical formats, I see no benefit to doing it in the processor over doing it in the player.

Also, as far as HD DVD goes, 99% of the titles out there now will not pass the lossy or lossless HD codecs over HDMI as bitstreams because they are authored in the advanced format.

And as far as Logic 7 is concerned, the Anthems have their own version of that in addition to Dolby PLIIx.

As a side note, while the Anthems (current models) will never accept 7.1 inputs on the HDMI ports, I am firmly in the camp that believes that discrete 7.1 trakcs will be indecernable from 5.1 extractions using DPLIIx.... why? If I want to pan something to the back center of the room, and I am using stereo surrounds, I will get the signal in both the LS and RS channel.. If I use a DPLIIx decoder, and have a 6.1 or 7.1 setup, it will end up on the CS area... since the decoder doesn't have to worry about a surround channel like straight DPL does (i.e. decoding and LCRS from LtRt), it doesn't suffer from as many steering artifacts, and should be hard to discern from discret LS LSB RSB RS sources...

Although I am working on some 7.1 tracks myself, this once again, in my opinion, is a lot of marketing that ends up making consumers nervous.... in the same way that HDMI 1.3 does.

Don't believe the hype
post #6229 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Although I am working on some 7.1 tracks myself, this once again, in my opinion, is a lot of marketing that ends up making consumers nervous.... in the same way that HDMI 1.3 does.

Don't believe the hype

Well said.

And since it's coming from you, it's adding alot of weight to it.
post #6230 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 01:21 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank527 View Post

In addition to what FilmMixer said, understand that changing the AVM-50 or D2 to include internal decoding of the new lossles audio formats (TrueHD or DTS-HD MA) can *NOT* be done by software change alone.

Getting these undecoded bitstreams into an AV processor requires HDMI V1.3 (or higher) and the HDMI chips for V1.3 are different. So at the very least a hardware change would be needed for that. In reality, other hardware would likely have to change as well.

Now no device -- no player and no AV receiver or pre/pro -- is shipping today with DTS-HD MA decoders. This is due to hold ups between DTS and the hardware manufacturers. Once DTS-HD MA decoders start shipping, the expectation is that they will appeal in new players, or be added as upgrades to existing players, so that DTS-HD MA will play into the Anthem exactly the same way TrueHD works today -- i.e., the track is decoded into its constituent PCM digital audio streams in the PLAYER and the resulting, multi-channel, high bandwidth PCM is then sent to the Anthems over HDMI V1.1. This will work without any change needed in either the AVM-50 or D2. All we are waiting on is players that include the DTS-HD MA decoders to match with the TrueHD decoders already found in players.
--Bob

post #6231 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

As I'm also a Denon 5800 owner, I would like it if you could expand on your feeling that the D2 is a noticable improvement in sound quality. What is it about the sound of the D2 that you feel is better than the Denon?

You people are hard. I'm not really a sound person. I use the D2 in my home theater and not normally for listening to music. It has to do with the fullness of the sound, the placement and movement of the sound around the room. Voices sound clearer and cleaner. The channels are more discrete. Explosions have more realism, etc.

I was not expecting a big difference in going from my 5800 to the D2 so this was a huge bonus for me. I didn't realize how lacking the 5800 was. When I first received the D2 I didn't have an external amp and ran it through the 5800 ext. in. It was a huge improvement and the Denon amp side seemed to work very well with the D2. I then purchased the P5 to replace the Denon and there was improvement, but nowhere near the improvement I got from the D2.

In fairness to the amp, I do not have the large speakers that this amp is capable of driving. I purchased the amp with future proof in mind. I have B&W speakers, HTM1 center and 805Ss and a B&W sub. These speakers don't even begin to tax the amp. Right now I'm happy with these speakers, but I may upgrade to 803s or 804s for my mains in the future.
post #6232 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Morton View Post

You people are hard. I'm not really a sound person. I use the D2 in my home theater and not normally for listening to music. It has to do with the fullness of the sound, the placement and movement of the sound around the room. Voices sound clearer and cleaner. The channels are more discrete. Explosions have more realism, etc.

Sorry, not trying to grill you, I'm just very interested in knowing what other people equate to "better" sound quality. It is hard to describe, but you have done a fine job. Thanks for sharing.
post #6233 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 04:14 PM
aus

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This thread is just amazing, and I've read a lot of it, but I'm still working my way through the manual... and this thread.

I can't seem to get my Oppo970 to work with the AVM50. I get bars on the side and the picuture is "squished" sideways. I have the output at 480i from the 970. The Anthem ouput's 1280 x720/60, which is the highest resolution my panel will accept.

Also, anyone have success getting a DirecTV HR10-250 TiVO unit to output 1080i and get a picture? I only get a picture when I output 720p to the Anthem.

Thanks for any help.
post #6234 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 06:30 PM
gdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumikola View Post

Levesque, do you have any documents that prove this approach from Rotel. I'm using Rotel RMB-1077 (D class 7x100W) with Anthem D2 and it's working perfectly. D2 does the job and 1077 doesn't change anything. I've heard and owned other Rotels and they sound very good, but 1077 is by far the most pleasing experience so far.

I'm also using the Rotel RMB-1077 and it is definitely not laid back. The 1077 is of course a totally different design than the 1075 and is IcePower (modified Class D). I'm not sure anyone would want to make a Class D design laid back, anyway.

The stereo and monoblock versions are even better. Must... upgrade... soon...

- Gordon

We don"t see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin
post #6235 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post

This thread is just amazing, and I've read a lot of it, but I'm still working my way through the manual... and this thread.

I can't seem to get my Oppo970 to work with the AVM50. I get bars on the side and the picuture is "squished" sideways. I have the output at 480i from the 970. The Anthem ouput's 1280 x720/60, which is the highest resolution my panel will accept.

Also, anyone have success getting a DirecTV HR10-250 TiVO unit to output 1080i and get a picture? I only get a picture when I output 720p to the Anthem.

Thanks for any help.

Re your Tivo problem: You could have a cabling problem with your DirecTivo, but the most likely explanation is that you've been bitten by the now infamous 1080i/1080p bug that has affected a small but significant number of owners using the V1.10 or V1.11 software.

Talk to Anthem tech support and they will likely email you the V1.11e test software to eliminate this as the possible cause.

Re your Oppo problem: Tell the Oppo that you have a 16:9 TV. Set the Oppo so that 4:3 content fills the 16:9 screen side to side. (4:3 content will be on DVDs of old movies and also on DVDs of TV shows). Although this appears to stretch such content, in fact it is telling the Oppo to do nothing to the data coming off the disc. The pixels are just interpreted as fatter.

Now tell the Anthem to leave this data untouched. Do that in the Video Source Adjust menu for your Oppo input. Select the Oppo input on the Anthem and then press and hold the "7" key on the Anthem remote until that menu comes on screen. Scroll over to the Scale Out panel and then scroll down and Select "Anamorphic" as the scaling option.

Please note: The V1.10 and V1.11 software has a bug which causes the Scale Out setting to change unexpectedly at power up for the input that happens to be selected at power up. Just go into Video Source Adjust / Scale Out and reset your desired setting as necessary.
--Bob

post #6236 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 07:55 PM

i am building a new house and therefore a new home theater room (18x30). in my research for components and speakers i have found the d2 to be the most intriguing and cutting edge a/v component i have found. my question is regarding how the d2 will work with the b&w 703s i anticipate buying and which amp will work best with a (subdued) speaker system like the b&ws, and the d2. i agree with prior posts that test driving these components would be impossible as the anthem dealers are few and far between and don't seem to have any d2s on hand (and they dont carry b&w). any thoughts would be appreciated. i love the openness of this thread.
post #6237 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 09:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quick update on my OSD issue with Setup Menu:

Nick had me go through and do some very specific things with the OSD/Setup menu. Some of the things he asked me to try seemed to work, others didn't.

The most interesting was to connect an S-Video cable from the Z2 output to the Aux S-Video input and access the Setup menu via Zone2. Not only did the OSD not appear on screen, but it didn't appear on the front panel of the D2 either.

But things continue to get stranger. Since trying the things Nick asked me to try (none of which changed any of the settings I had), the OSD has been working perfectly for almost 2 days now!

2 days ago, the OSD came up looking like it should (in color). Then it slowly started to have horizontal lines going through it, then it started "shaking", turned to black and white, and then disappeared completely, leaving a blank blue screen!

After explaining this to Nick, and trying the steps he asked me to try, he has very generously offered to completely replace my unit! The positive feedback that others have discussed in this thread regarding Anthem's customer support is 100% on the money. I have been very impressed. Nick has been great to work with. Very patient, responsive, and professional!

At this point I told Nick that I will play with my D2 over the weekend to see how the OSD behaves. Weird electric things like this have been known to happen, and resolve themselves. About 6 months ago my prior DLP projector started getting weird looking lines going through the screen on a regular basis. It was happening regularly for about 2 or 3 weeks. The night before I was going to pack it up and mail it to the manufacturer for repair, it worked perfectly. I decided to not send it in, to see if the problem came back. It never did.

We will see if I get as lucky with this OSD issue.

I am concerned that the OSD for the Setup menu didn't come up at all for Z2 though, even on the D2's front panel.
post #6238 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Quick update on my OSD issue with Setup Menu:

Nick had me go through and do some very specific things with the OSD/Setup menu. Some of the things he asked me to try seemed to work, others didn't.

The most interesting was to connect an S-Video cable from the Z2 output to the Aux S-Video input and access the Setup menu via Zone2. Not only did the OSD not appear on screen, but it didn't appear on the front panel of the D2 either.

But things continue to get stranger. Since trying the things Nick asked me to try (none of which changed any of the settings I had), the OSD has been working perfectly for almost 2 days now!

2 days ago, the OSD came up looking like it should (in color). Then it slowly started to have horizontal lines going through it, then it started "shaking", turned to black and white, and then disappeared completely, leaving a blank blue screen!

After explaining this to Nick, and trying the steps he asked me to try, he has very generously offered to completely replace my unit! The positive feedback that others have discussed in this thread regarding Anthem's customer support is 100% on the money. I have been very impressed. Nick has been great to work with. Very patient, responsive, and professional!

At this point I told Nick that I will play with my D2 over the weekend to see how the OSD behaves. Weird electric things like this have been known to happen, and resolve themselves. About 6 months ago my prior DLP projector started getting weird looking lines going through the screen on a regular basis. It was happening regularly for about 2 or 3 weeks. The night before I was going to pack it up and mail it to the manufacturer for repair, it worked perfectly. I decided to not send it in, to see if the problem came back. It never did.

We will see if I get as lucky with this OSD issue.

I am concerned that the OSD for the Setup menu didn't come up at all for Z2 though, even on the D2's front panel.

Rob,
See if he will let you keep the one you have until you get the replacement.
post #6239 of 42976 Old 05-04-2007, 11:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

as far as Logic 7 is concerned, the Anthems have their own version of that

They don't. Instead they have a Hafler-like ambience extraction mode with no adjustable parameters.

L7, when applied to discrete multi-channel sources (3.0 to 6.1 channels), will not only scale the 2 (or 3) surround channels to 4 outputs but will also steer any dual-mono content in the front L/R channels to the centre output (so you don't have to rely on phantom centre imaging when listening to multi-channel music). It will also steer decorrelated info in the front L/R channels to the surrounds, for movies like 'Forrest Gump' or 'Immortal Beloved', that have little-to-no information in the surround channels (but do contain ambience information in the front channels). The front and surround steering are user adjustable, along with 10 other parameters to customize the surround processing to your particular tastes.

PLIIx cannot do that when applied to multi-channel sources. AnthemLogic cannot even be applied to multi-channel sources. Just wanted to be clear on how differently they operate.

Sanjay

Sanjay
post #6240 of 42976 Old 05-05-2007, 01:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Just wanted to drop a quick thank you note to everyone that has contributed to this thread...The information has been very valuable in helping me make my decision.

I just dropped my deposit down on my brand new D2 and it should arrive in this next 2 weeks!!

Looking forward to this upgrade! Coming from a Pioneer 49txi w/B&k Reference 200.7.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page