Old 05-07-2007, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lem View Post

AM updating to a new HD or BD dvd player as well. Will the HD XA2 serve OK as a CD player/transport?

Thanks in advance...Mark

Just ordered the XA2 so I can tell you in a few days, at least as far as the AVM50 is concerned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The MX-700 or 850 will do what ever I need plus I have the upgradeable software. I could not last without it. It replaces 4 remotes has hard buttons and no color lcd screens who could need more
Old 05-07-2007, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

On another note I emailed support both Sunday and today and no response.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by billatlakegeorge View Post

The MX-700 or 850 will do what ever I need plus I have the upgradeable software. I could not last without it. It replaces 4 remotes has hard buttons and no color lcd screens who could need more

What are the main differences between the 700 and 850?
Old 05-07-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

What are the main differences between the 700 and 850?

RF mainly and new style centre button.

http://www.universalremote.com/produ...l.php?model=46
http://www.universalremote.com/produ...l.php?model=38

"One of the problems of taking things apart and seeing how they work--supposing you're trying to find out how a cat works--you take that cat apart to see how it works, what you've got in your hands is a non-working cat."
-- Douglas Adams
Old 05-07-2007, 07:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulT_BC View Post

RF mainly and new style centre button.

http://www.universalremote.com/produ...l.php?model=46
http://www.universalremote.com/produ...l.php?model=38

There is a great remote forum here on AVS

Note: The big issue with URC is to buy from an authorized dealer or you will NOT get software downloads, editors or updated firmware, no matter how hard you try.

Note 2: Note I had a wink above, the 850 is one of the best all around remotes, but it does not have all the code learning functionality if you need it (like JVC projector hold downs). I miss the 850 operated on batteries given the 950 has to be power cradled every few days even with negligible use. We still use the 850s for some work applications, but are being phased out because of some support issues.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht View Post

Note: The big issue with URC is to buy from an authorized dealer or you will NOT get software downloads, editors or updated firmware, no matter how hard you try.

That's not true.. there is a link on their installer support page that lets anybody with a serial number download the latest software... they just don't allow for live updates anymore.

URC Download Page
Old 05-07-2007, 08:51 PM

We're drifting away it seems

Sort of back on topic, while waiting with anticipation for the AVM30 - 50 upgrade I purchased an A5.
Nice piece of gear - at least this refers to Anthem

"One of the problems of taking things apart and seeing how they work--supposing you're trying to find out how a cat works--you take that cat apart to see how it works, what you've got in your hands is a non-working cat."
-- Douglas Adams
Old 05-07-2007, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht View Post

Point taken.

And thanks for indulging my OT discussion for a bit. And thanks to those who have PM'ed me on this issue as well.....they were helpful!
Old 05-07-2007, 10:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

That's not true.. there is a link on their installer support page that lets anybody with a serial number download the latest software... they just don't allow for live updates anymore.

URC Download Page

Have you tried with a serial number from an unauthorized dealer? Have you tried more than once? Don't even think of trying this with a newer remote that usually takes multiple software downloads (many more updates than Anthem) to get it right. Note even for authorized dealer users it requires redownloading most of the time to get an update vs live update anymore.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Tim.. I have an unathorized TX-1000 from ebay... I have downloaded at least 4 different times..
Old 05-08-2007, 01:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

FM, thanks for the heads up. You beat the system better than me. I sold off twi 850s because of the inane policy.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

Just ordered the XA2 so I can tell you in a few days, at least as far as the AVM50 is concerned.

Thanks a bunch, let me know, seems my question got lost in the sauce with the remote topic.

Just found out RS1 is on the way, so I need to act this week on a HD or BD player connected to D2. TO refresh, my question is I need a solution for CD music, and also need either HD or BD dvd player. Any comments on using the XA2 as a cd player or transport to D2 (am I correct that BD does not play CD's)...
Old 05-08-2007, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Thanks a bunch, let me know, seems my question got lost in the sauce with the remote topic.

Just found out RS1 is on the way, so I need to act this week on a HD or BD player connected to D2. TO refresh, my question is I need a solution for CD music, and also need either HD or BD dvd player. Any comments on using the XA2 as a cd player or transport to D2 (am I correct that BD does not play CD's)...

I believe you are correct - BD players do not play CDs.

However with that said - I think the Panny might. But
I don't know for sure. In my decision tree - the Video
quality [1080p/24] was #1 priority on my buying decision
list, which is why I waited for the Pioneer BDP-HD1.

Don't tell me you don't have some OLD PLAYER hanging
around? I have a 10 year old SONY DVD player I use
for that.

BTW - WHEN I went to the CES Show in Las Vegas - the
Blu-Ray Standards organization says Blu-Ray players are
suppose to play CDs. But for some reason - they don't.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

I believe you are correct - BD players do not play CDs.

However with that said - I think the Panny might. But
I don't know for sure. In my decision tree - the Video
quality [1080p/24] was #1 priority on my buying decision
list, which is why I waited for the Pioneer BDP-HD1.

Don't tell me you don't have some OLD PLAYER hanging
around? I have a 10 year old SONY DVD player I use
for that.

BTW - WHEN I went to the CES Show in Las Vegas - the
Blu-Ray Standards organization says Blu-Ray players are
suppose to play CDs. But for some reason - they don't.

I do have an old Sony 7700 dvd, but my thinking was that the DAC's in that player might be inferior to the D2. OTOH I am more the HT enthusiast than music. I believe it does have an optical out, though...

Not to start a BD vs. HD off topic thread, but my real hesitence on buying the Pioneer player over an XA2 is 1) BD standard is going to change at end of year, what impact does that have on the current players, and 2) is the Pioneer BD comparable to the XA2 in playing SD dvd's.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreborS View Post

Can someone elaborate, provide links to this issue? About to set up the 8300HD under a AVM 50. Thanks

It's just that in general many advise to use the various cable/sat boxes via component as they tend to be flaky and misbehave when it comes to HDMI protocols and the like.

They often work, but some who channel surf (actively change channels that have different resolutions - 480i,720p, 1080i, etc. ) find they get HDMI handshake delays or annoyances. If you loose your HDMI handshake on the D2 you get the "no signal" blue screen (or black if you set it to that) for a flash.

I wanted to try it via HDMI anyway to just have one cable and all that. I've not had any problems and since I only watch recorded HD content and don't channel change, I'm OK with the resync when I select a different recorded show to watch 45mins later.

That being said - I might end up switching to component because the 8300HD gives you a hard time when using any other connector, even the coax channel 3/4 oldschool output when an HDMI connection is in use.. very annoying. This has nothing to do with the D2 however - I had that before the D2. My wife uses the 8300HD PVR for SD recorded stuff remotely over a long coax run (quality doesn't matter).

I think there are links at the beginning of the thread that point to Tivo/8300HD type posts..

Hope this helps.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:07 AM

Anthem just sent out a email to their dealers stating they are backordered and will be resuming shipments of D2s and AVM50s in about 10-14 days.

Anyone know where I can get a AVM50 or a D2 quickly? Do any dealers have these in stock in the southeast? I need one in less than 8 days. NC/SC/VA/GA/TN area?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:13 AM

Quote:

On another note I emailed support both Sunday and today and no response.

Depending on how busy they are it can take a day or two - they have to catch up with all of us firing emails at them over the weekend on Monday!

I've got various different response times depending on what it was about - some same day when already in a support situation, and for new stuff, or inquiries might be a few days. But who knows, that's just my impression/illusion.

They'll fix you up, don't worry.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:59 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Here's an odd one for people keeping track of strange behavior from cable TV boxes. I have a Comcast/Motorola HD-DVR which happens to have two tuners that independently buffer and record. You "Swap" to change from using one tuner to the other. This box happens to be on the latest Comcast software and Motorola firmware (as reported in the Wikipedia article on these Motolora HD-DVRs). I use HDMI for video and optical cable for audio from this box. I'm beginning to believe I have more nuisance issues with HDMI handshaking when using one tuner as opposed to the other tuner.

There's no logical reason why this should be the case. Go figur....
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 05-08-2007, 09:20 AM

The Panny BD player DOES play CD's. I have one and use it myself for my CD transport.

Quote:

Old 05-08-2007, 09:30 AM

Let me be one new user to chime in and say that I have had ZERO problems with my AVM50, which I have had for a few weeks now.

The rattling around I heard, as reported earlier, was a loose screw that my dealer, authorized to service the units, opened up and quickly resolved.

I am continuously amazed by the sound and picture quality of this unit, this coming from a former VP50 and Aragon Stage One user. Setup was a breeze, not one hiccup.

Very happy with my purchase. My only possible regret is not holding out for a D2, but I'll revisit that sometime in the future.

One comment that I'd like to make regarding the previous discussion on amps. I can highly recommend the Aragon 8008 and Paladium line of amps as an affordable alternative, which were made before the Klipsch buyout. They represent the oldest pieces of equipment I have in my setup and each time I try to upgrade them, they end up winning out over their challenger. The only other amps that have sounded better to me (including the Anthems) were the Bryston's, which are in another price echelon altogether.

Something to consider - used 8008x5's run about $1500 to $2000 on Audiogon.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not to start a BD vs. HD off topic thread, but my real hesitence on buying the Pioneer player over an XA2 is 1) BD standard is going to change at end of year, what impact does that have on the current players, and 2) is the Pioneer BD comparable to the XA2 in playing SD dvd's.

1) The BD-J spec for Blu-ray will only affect the interactive extra features....if that is important to you, you should wait.. 2) The XA2 has a very good reputation for upscaling, but I doubt it would beat a 480i signal straight to the Anthem's Gennum for deinterlacing and scaling.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:35 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Foo View Post

I am continuously amazed by the sound and picture quality of this unit, this coming from a former VP50 and Aragon Stage One user. Setup was a breeze, not one hiccup... I can highly recommend the Aragon 8008 and Paladium line of amps as an affordable alternative, which were made before the Klipsch buyout. They represent the oldest pieces of equipment I have in my setup and each time I try to upgrade them, they end up winning out over their challenger. The only other amps that have sounded better to me (including the Anthems) where the Bryston's, which are in another price echelon altogether.

What speakers are you using if you don't mind me asking?

My current pre-amp and amps are also from Mondial Designs (Acurus ACT-3 prepro and A200x3 and A100x2 amps) and am considering upgrading [eventually] to a D1/D2 and the P5 amp. I'm happy to hear that you heard a large quality difference since your old equipment is already considerably better than my current stuff!

Edit: My current speakers are Paradigm S8/C5/ADP with a Servo-15.

kal
Old 05-08-2007, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

I have emailed Anthem customer support twice, sunday & monday, and no return email. Is it better to call or do they require a few days to respond.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:47 AM

I just had installed an JVC RS1 and a D2. I have a Pio 59 dvd via hdmi which is working fine. My Toshiba A2 via hdmi cannot negotiate properly with the D2/RS1 combo and I get no picture or sound. The A2 has the latest firmware and the D2 has 1.11j firmware. Have tried everything I could think of. Any ideas?
Old 05-08-2007, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do have an old Sony 7700 dvd, but my thinking was that the DAC's in that player might be inferior to the D2. OTOH I am more the HT enthusiast than music. I believe it does have an optical out, though...

I have the same Sony 7700 - why do you need DACs.
The signal on the CD is digital and you send it out
digitally over Fiber Cable to the DACs in the D2.

NONE of the Toshiba's output 1080p/24. I have had
the Toshiba HD-A1 for over a year now - aka DAY ONE.

I have not bought a HD DVD since December 2006 when
I got the Pioneer.

FORGET about which technology - JUST LOOK AT THE
CONTENT. That is why I have not bought a HD DVD
since December. MUCH MUCH MUCH More is available
on BD and the PQ is Better because of the TRUE 1080p/24.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have emailed Anthem customer support twice, sunday & monday, and no return email. Is it better to call or do they require a few days to respond.

IF YOU DO CALL - you get a person to HELP
YOU IMMEDIATELY.

Which would you say is BETTER?
Old 05-08-2007, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Foo View Post

I am continuously amazed by the sound and picture quality of this unit, this coming from a former VP50 and Aragon Stage One user. Setup was a breeze, not one hiccup.

Very happy with my purchase. .

Hello Mr. Foo - then you need a SUPPLY of THESE
Old 05-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

They do respond to emails (way more promptly than most places) but for quickest action, given them a call.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 05-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrebo View Post

I just had installed an JVC RS1 and a D2. I have a Pio 59 dvd via hdmi which is working fine. My Toshiba A2 via hdmi cannot negotiate properly with the D2/RS1 combo and I get no picture or sound. The A2 has the latest firmware and the D2 has 1.11j firmware. Have tried everything I could think of. Any ideas?

First of all, *V1.11j* firmware? This is the first report we've had of any version later than V1.11h. Are there any release notes indicating what it might have fixed and what might have been in any V1.11i version?

Now on your A2 problem: Of course you should talk to Anthem tech support and see if they have any suggestions, but the basics are to first unplug and examine the HDMI plugs and sockets at both ends with a flashlight looking for any signs of pin damage. If there are no such signs, then try hooking the A2 directly to your TV to verify that its HDMI output is working at all. As always, be gentle when making your HDMI connections, but make sure that the plugs are FULLY inserted STRAIGHT into the sockets with no stress (cable weight for example) to the side.

If that's OK, then try the A2 through the Anthem with the A2 set to 480p resolution and playing a standard DVD disc. This is the least demanding HDMI connection for the A2.

Let's start with that and see if anything suggests itself.

==================================================

EDITED TO ADD: A few D2 settings to check. In the D2's Setup / Source Select for the A2 input, verify that HDMI Repeater=NO and Auto Dig=NO are both set. Back out of the Setup menu. With the A2 input selected, bring up the Video Source Adjust menu (press and hold the "7") key. Scroll to the Output panel and then down the Frame Lock line and verify that Frame Lock = OFF is set. Then scroll over to the Info panel and see if it is reporting anything at all for input from the A2.
--Bob

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers