6Likes

post #6691 of 43161 Old 05-22-2007, 04:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Of course. The more hard sources you have, the less you rely on phantom imaging. The less you rely on phantom imaging, the more stable your soundstage. Fairly straightforward concept.

We're comparing imagined (phantom) localization created in the brain vs an object physically pressurizing the air at that location. No contest. The latter will more closely mimic things like a live trumpet solo or vocalist standing in the middle of the soundstage. Sure. Three S8s laid out in an arc in front of you can create a wavefront that will be closer to the original live event than two S8s could. Wow, that'll teach me to recommend one of the AnthemLogic modes.

Sanjay

Thanks to both of you for thoughts, suggestion. I tried the Anthem-Logic cinema mode and it sounded much better to me than PLII. I am either sitting in the sweet spot, or playing pool directly behind my HT. Either way, using the surrounds I find detracts from the great music I have coming from my front stage. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6692 of 43161 Old 05-22-2007, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

The room equalizer firmware is already in place starting with the 1.12k firmware. We just can't access it yet.

Wow. Great news. The obvious next question.....what microphone can to be used with it?? Has Anthem specified one yet? Anyone know who's EQ (Audyssey, etc)?

Last....as my upgraded D1-HD arrived two weeks ago, and I have finally had time to set it up, can I be officially annointed to the club yet?

I don't really like talking about my flair

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6693 of 43161 Old 05-22-2007, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post

Wow. Great news. The obvious next question.....what microphone can to be used with it?? Has Anthem specified one yet? Anyone know who's EQ (Audyssey, etc)?

Last....as my upgraded D1-HD arrived two weeks ago, and I have finally had time to set it up, can I be officially annointed to the club yet?

If it is UP and RUNNING - you can be anointed
post #6694 of 43161 Old 05-22-2007, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

For those of you using r2-232 to control your D2 or D1-HD, did you know that you can send custom text to the OSD to be displayed?? This is pretty cool.

You can specify 2 lines of Text to pop up on the OSD by sending it in a string via RS-232. The command to display text is: P1z1yourtext. Therefore, I send a confirmation that the bass shakers have been turned on by sending this string:
P1z1Bass Shakers: On

It pops up just on the OSD just like the volume does. Too Cool. I'm going to implement a pop-up for an upstairs motion detector for my daugher's room who has a tendency to wake up late at night (when we are watching movies) and come and find us. I'm also going to tie in a few of the secutity system events, etc. Right now, if you push a button on the remote the status (armed, unarmed) pops up, as well as directions (what buttons to push) to arm or disarm the sytem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6695 of 43161 Old 05-22-2007, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If it is UP and RUNNING - you can be anointed

Yep! Up and Running. No issues to report with stock 1.11 firmware. Sources are HD-Tivo, Pioneer 59-AVI, Toshiba XA1 and a HTPC all via HDMI all controlled via rs-232 and touchscreens (see above)! Wow. Went from no to 4 HDMI's overnight. how did I fill up them up so fast?? The only thing left is to hook the XBox 360 up via component. Guess I don't have to worry about the Elite since I'm full. Anyone running an XBox 360 Elite through their D2 yet?

post #6696 of 43161 Old 05-22-2007, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep! Up and Running. No issues to report with stock 1.11 firmware. Sources are HD-Tivo, Pioneer 59-AVI, Toshiba XA1 and a HTPC all via HDMI all controlled via rs-232 and touchscreens (see above)! Wow. Went from no to 4 HDMI's overnight. how did I fill up them up so fast?? The only thing left is to hook the XBox 360 up via component. Guess I don't have to worry about the Elite since I'm full. Anyone running an XBox 360 Elite through their D2 yet?

I filled up my HDMI ports initially ALSO.

Then I took my TWO HDMI Connected DVRs and
switched them over to Component. There is no
NEED to have them connected via HDMI and now
I have TWO Spare HDMI ports. The ONLY REAL
Reason you need HDMI is for 1080p sources and
PCM Audio over HDMI.

Therefore - I have only my Blu-Ray and HD DVD
hooked up via HDMI now.

There is actually a side benefit to switching the DVRs
to Component - Channel Surfing is much faster because
there is NO HDMI handshake every time you switch
Channels.
post #6697 of 43161 Old 05-22-2007, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Morton View Post

The room equalizer firmware is already in place starting with the 1.12k firmware. We just can't access it yet.

Wow, stop reading for a few days and we pass V1.12 and are up into the 'k' revision already. There's a version 1.12k?

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #6698 of 43161 Old 05-22-2007, 06:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Very cool. Interested to hear how your HD-Tivo works out at stock 1.11 on HDMI. Are you going native res for all programming to let the Anthem deinterlace & scale?

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #6699 of 43161 Old 05-22-2007, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone know who's EQ (Audyssey, etc)?

It's Anthem's home-made solution. Some of the programmers working on the D2/AVM50 at Anthem are the same that were working on the Athena Project at the NRC's facilities, so I'm sure it will be unique and... really something...

post #6700 of 43161 Old 05-22-2007, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Morton View Post

I didn't knew if I could post that info, but since you did...

Until the stupid HDMI-HDCP incompatibilities are not fully solved, the room-eq will be push back a little bit... Anthem are fighting for us to solve the HDMI incompatibilities caused by the poor implementations of other manufacturers, paticularly satellite and cable STB, so they don't want to fight on 2 fronts at the same time...

post #6701 of 43161 Old 05-22-2007, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVESQUE View Post

Until the stupid HDMI-HDCP incompatibilities are not fully solved, the room-eq will be push back a little bit... Anthem are fighting for us to solve the HDMI incompatibilities caused by the poor implementations of other manufacturers, paticularly satellite and cable STB, so they don't want to fight on 2 fronts at the same time...

Makes PERFECT sense to me - I'm not sitting around
waiting for Room EQ When it comes it comes.
post #6702 of 43161 Old 05-22-2007, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very cool. Interested to hear how your HD-Tivo works out at stock 1.11 on HDMI. Are you going native res for all programming to let the Anthem deinterlace & scale?

So Far, So Good. Unfortunately I don't belive the HD-Tivo has native res pass through...so the output is constant. Therefore, don't seem to have any problems over hdmi when I switch channels. I can change from HD to 480i output on the Tivo by pressing the up arrow....so I switch to 480i when watching SD content and let the D2 do the deinterlacing and scaling. The picture does seem to be better. Is there an (easy) way to have the D2 stretch a 4:3 image?

post #6703 of 43161 Old 05-22-2007, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Hey Randall, do you know what the latest info is on fixing the 1080p/24 stuttering with the Pioneer?

post #6704 of 43161 Old 05-22-2007, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVESQUE View Post

Good News! We are slowly progressing toward the right direction.
post #6705 of 43161 Old 05-22-2007, 09:16 AM

Quote:

So Far, So Good. Unfortunately I don't belive the HD-Tivo has native res pass through...so the output is constant. Therefore, don't seem to have any problems over hdmi when I switch channels. I can change from HD to 480i output on the Tivo by pressing the up arrow....so I switch to 480i when watching SD content and let the D2 do the deinterlacing and scaling. The picture does seem to be better. Is there an (easy) way to have the D2 stretch a 4:3 image?

The HD Tive has native rate pass thru, it's the main reason I lust after it (but can't justify the expense ,yet). If Verizon's new software upgrade sucks I may switch then.
post #6706 of 43161 Old 05-22-2007, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW View Post

The HD Tive has native rate pass thru, it's the main reason I lust after it (but can't justify the expense ,yet). If Verizon's new software upgrade sucks I may switch then.

Barhoram must have the HR10-250 HD Tivo (for satellite and/or OTA), not the Tivo Series 3 HD Tivo, which most certainly does have Native Pass-through mode for passing the exact same rez as the initial signal that comes in for a given channel. That alone is one of the best things about moving to the Series 3 from the HR10-250 - of course, it means switching from satellite to cable, a change that has worked out very well for me, but YMMV (and I still keep satellite service thru the HR10-250 just for NFL Sunday ticket).

Just wanted to clarify, there are 2 HD Tivo devices that exist in the marketplace, let's be clear which we are talking about. Barhoram, can you clarify which HD Tivo you have?

Thanks,
Brian
post #6707 of 43161 Old 05-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW View Post

If it helps Bill, there is a new Father's Day 200 dollar rebate available from Tivo on it I guess, so it's now coming down in price more. Just FYI. And yeah, I'm with ya on the Native pass thru, it kicks butt. Lets the D2 do the heavy lifting as it should.

Brian
post #6708 of 43161 Old 05-22-2007, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep. The HR10-250. If I wasn't such a Sunday Ticket fan, I would probably investigate options other than D*. However, my theater has been the hangout pretty much every Sunday during football season.

I do have a question on the component ouputs on the D2. I would like to use the main or zone 2 component outs of the D2 to drive a LCD display in my office. Configured either as a copy of the Main Zone or Zone 2 would be fine. Is the D2 able to take HDMI inputs and send them out via component as a copy of the main or to zone 2?? If so, how do I go about doing this? The only thing that I can get to display on the component output is the OSD. Currently the Main output is set to HDMI with HDTV and RBG ( using hdmi to dvi at my projector). Can this be done?

post #6709 of 43161 Old 05-22-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Hey Randall, do you know what the latest info is on fixing the 1080p/24 stuttering with the Pioneer?

As far as I can tell it is fixed in the 1.12k but for some reason this version has trouble with the XA2. Since I'm not watching any HDDVD lately and the BDP HD1 works really good with SD outputting 480i to the D2, I've been running the 1.12k. The XA2 is the only thing that gives me a problem and the only problem I have with it is audio. If I had an HDDVD I wanted to watch I could watch and get the sound through SPDIF. Now it seems that 24P for the Toshiba has been moved back to October.
post #6710 of 43161 Old 05-22-2007, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks Randall. I wonder if we will ever get 1080p/24 working with a 1080i source, which would solve your issue with Toshiba not releasing the FW update for 1080p/24.

post #6711 of 43161 Old 05-22-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithAPlan View Post

If it helps Bill, there is a new Father's Day 200 dollar rebate available from Tivo on it I guess, so it's now coming down in price more. Just FYI. And yeah, I'm with ya on the Native pass thru, it kicks butt. Lets the D2 do the heavy lifting as it should.

Brian

Now thats getting very tempting.

In talking to Frank at Anthem (my D2 is going back for a new power supply for the video- it has a high pitched whine coming out of it that changes pitch as the scene changes) he said the next software should be out very soon and when pushed with-in a month. The room eq should be available before the end of summer.
post #6712 of 43161 Old 05-22-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Thanks Randall. I wonder if we will ever get 1080p/24 working with a 1080i source, which would solve your issue with Toshiba not releasing the FW update for 1080p/24.

I think they are working on it but I doubt it is high priority.
You would think if the VP50 could do it everyone else could also. Seems like there are too many unresolved HDMI issues at this point and then the room equalization. I'm not too worried about the Toshiba as it seems like almost everything coming out that I want to see is on Blu Ray.
post #6713 of 43161 Old 05-22-2007, 01:31 PM

I have a squeezebox ( ipod like music player ) connected to anthem avm 50. To get the best quality sound should I go with analog or digital connection. Do I need to set up analog bypass in my anthem avm and if so how do I do it
thanks
post #6714 of 43161 Old 05-22-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankita View Post

I have a squeezebox ( ipod like music player ) connected to anthem avm 50. To get the best quality sound should I go with analog or digital connection. Do I need to set up analog bypass in my anthem avm and if so how do I do it
thanks

I would use a digital input becuase although the DAC in the squeezebox is pretty good, considering the price, the D2's DAC is better.
post #6715 of 43161 Old 05-22-2007, 06:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

1) It does have native passthrough. Go to settings. Note menus are 720p. Some channels are 720p or 1080i based on cable system. If you are not having stock 1.11 issues it's likely because you are one set resolution and not using the Anthem to do it's stuff.

2) There are aspect ratio changes. Hold down the 7 on the Anthem and do it there, or suffer some degredation of already bad SD quality and let the Tivo do the Height/Width stuff.

You need to explore the Settings menus OR head over to the board Tivo forums. Good Series 3 info. If you have the DirecTivo you are SOL.

EDIT: Just read... You are SOL :{

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #6716 of 43161 Old 05-23-2007, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Still struggling with component out to a secondary display. Can the D2 take an HDMI input and output via component to Zone 2 or as the Main?? I can see the OSD and my XBox360 (hooked via component to the D2) but the screen goes blank when I switch to any of the sources that use HDMI in. Have tried both sets of componenet ouptuts....anyone???

post #6717 of 43161 Old 05-23-2007, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankita View Post

thanks

Definitely digital. I find much better sound with it on my Squeezebox / Slimp3s. No comparison. The DAC is pretty good on the Squeezebox (much better than the Slimp3s), but it is far better still on the D2/AVM50.

He who laughs last...Thinks slowest.
post #6718 of 43161 Old 05-23-2007, 06:56 AM

Quote:

Still struggling with component out to a secondary display. Can the D2 take an HDMI input and output via component to Zone 2 or as the Main?? I can see the OSD and my XBox360 (hooked via component to the D2) but the screen goes blank when I switch to any of the sources that use HDMI in. Have tried both sets of componenet ouptuts....anyone???

No. This is because of HDCP(copy protection).
post #6719 of 43161 Old 05-23-2007, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought that might be the case. Does the D2 look for copy protection and disable, or just not allow HDMI in to component out of any sort?

post #6720 of 43161 Old 05-23-2007, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I watched Apocalypto on Blu-ray last night. Wow, what a movie! Very well done. But the reason I am posting about it here is because of the sound quality. It was amazing! This disc has a LPCM track, and I was extremely impressed. It's one of the best mixes I have heard yet from any of the new HD formats. The subtleties and ambiance was very impressive. Made me feel like I was in the middle of the movie. Great demo material for the D2!

Marc, if you are reading, I would be interested in hearing your opinion on this (if you have seen it yet).

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page