Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #6721 of 42976 Old 05-23-2007, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My next question for the day.....channel level calibration. I used my Dolby check disk to set up the channel levels for SD-DVD for my Pioneer 59avi (HDMI). I saved these in the menu, and all seemed good. I then used the same disk to verify channel levels for my Toshiba XA1, and noticed that both of my side surrounds were about 3 db low. I boosted these for the HD-DVD input via the "on the fly" setting for that input, but it seems to loose the setting every time I change sources....as they are back to 0. Is there a way to set specific levels per each input? Or am I going to have to make the adjustments outside the D2 in each individual component?

I don't really like talking about my flair

My Home Theater Project:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6722 of 42976 Old 05-23-2007, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

I watched Apocalypto on Blu-ray last night. Wow, what a movie! Very well done. But the reason I am posting about it here is because of the sound quality. It was amazing! This disc has a LPCM track, and I was extremely impressed. It's one of the best mixes I have heard yet from any of the new HD formats. The subtleties and ambiance was very impressive. Made me feel like I was in the middle of the movie. Great demo material for the D2!

Marc, if you are reading, I would be interested in hearing your opinion on this (if you have seen it yet).

Do you know what resolution was used for the audio?
post #6723 of 42976 Old 05-23-2007, 09:03 AM
gdc

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post

My next question for the day.....channel level calibration. I used my Dolby check disk to set up the channel levels for SD-DVD for my Pioneer 59avi (HDMI). I saved these in the menu, and all seemed good. I then used the same disk to verify channel levels for my Toshiba XA1, and noticed that both of my side surrounds were about 3 db low. I boosted these for the HD-DVD input via the "on the fly" setting for that input, but it seems to loose the setting every time I change sources....as they are back to 0. Is there a way to set specific levels per each input? Or am I going to have to make the adjustments outside the D2 in each individual component?

It's a little unclear - are you talking about setting speaker (not channel) levels in the D2? If so, I'd recommend doing that with the internal test tone in the D2.

If you are using THX, then any "on-the-fly" settings you make are reset.

Do you have settings in the SD and HD DVD players that could affect the surrounds? Like with video, it's best to bypass ALL processing or settings and have them done in the D2.

- Gordon

We don"t see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin
post #6724 of 42976 Old 05-23-2007, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolstoi View Post

No, I didn't check it. Whatever it was, it sounded great. Very impressive mixing job!
post #6725 of 42976 Old 05-23-2007, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:

It's a little unclear - are you talking about setting speaker (not channel) levels in the D2? If so, I'd recommend doing that with the internal test tone in the D2.

If you are using THX, then any "on-the-fly" settings you make are reset.

Do you have settings in the SD and HD DVD players that could affect the surrounds? Like with video, it's best to bypass ALL processing or settings and have them done in the D2.

Correct...I was/am tyring to set the speaker levels. I first did it with the internal test tones, setting the main volume to "0" and adjusting to 75db on my radio shack meter. I also tried it with my Dolby Digital trailer disk using their "channel check" tones with my 59AVI via HDMI as the source. The levels were a little different, but the channel check disk settings seemed to sound better to me. I repeated with my XA1, but as mentioned, the surrounds were too low. It looks like all of the settings in both the XA1 and 59AVI for sound are set to defaults.....I guess there is no way to set it for 2 different sources...or I should go back to the interal test tones setting?

I don't really like talking about my flair

My Home Theater Project:
post #6726 of 42976 Old 05-23-2007, 11:11 AM
gdc

Quote:

Correct...I was/am tyring to set the speaker levels. I first did it with the internal test tones, setting the main volume to "0" and adjusting to 75db on my radio shack meter. I also tried it with my Dolby Digital trailer disk using their "channel check" tones with my 59AVI via HDMI as the source. The levels were a little different, but the channel check disk settings seemed to sound better to me. I repeated with my XA1, but as mentioned, the surrounds were too low. It looks like all of the settings in both the XA1 and 59AVI for sound are set to defaults.....I guess there is no way to set it for 2 different sources...or I should go back to the interal test tones setting?

I haven't used the Dolby Digital disk, but I get great results setting levels with the internal feature. I recently moved my sub to the back of the room, and moved my L/R mains a little, and recalibrated. Wow! Big jump in quality. All I need to do now is get some bass traps and bit of diffusion and it will be a good summer.

You don't need to worry about setting main volume, since that is bypassed when using the speaker level setup. Make sure to set the Tone level at 75 dB. Also, make sure the RS meter is set for C weighting, slow response. I like to point it at the ceiling - I have it mounted on a mini-tripod.

Make sure neither of your players are doing any bass management - that usually means setting speaker size to Large in the player, and then letting the D2 do bass management by setting speaker size to Small and setting crossover frequencies.

Default settings for some players may include a lot of junk you don't want. I remember with my Oppo 970, I had to change a number of settings (with unclear names) to get it to spit out unprocessed video and multichannel audio via HDMI.

- Gordon

post #6727 of 42976 Old 05-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:

You should calibrate using the D2's own internal test tones. They are very accurate. Understand that depending upon your speaker placement and room acoustics, the best level settings may be a "compromise" of the measurements made at your various listening positions.

The test tones you get from a calibration DVD will be altered if you have any of the D2's surround processing or audio content steering turned on.

If you do feel the need to adjust levels for a particular source, the level adjustments available via the buttons on the remote will be remembered indpendently for each source FOR EACH AUDIO INPUT FORMAT. However, due to THX requirements, they are disabled if you turn on THX.

Also, these "temporary" audio level adjustments are not saved as part of Saved Settings. So if you want to discard ALL of them all at once, you can go to the Setup menu, Save User Settings, Reload Factory Defaults, and finally Restore Saved User Settings.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #6728 of 42976 Old 05-23-2007, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:

I thought that might be the case. Does the D2 look for copy protection and disable, or just not allow HDMI in to component out of any sort?

ONLY I have the secret to this MYSTERY

FYI - It is ILLEGAL.
post #6729 of 42976 Old 05-23-2007, 01:46 PM

Liked: 12
So which software are we at? I here in the PS3 thread that a 1080/24 playback is coming with the 1.80 update possibly tomorrow and I am still on 1.11g with no problems a long as the fan is on .

Jeremy
post #6730 of 42976 Old 05-23-2007, 04:22 PM

So, I'm new to this thread and I'm trying to help out my parents who just purchased and installed this hometheater. Anyway, they bought the AVM50 with the PVA7 along side the Sony "ruby" projector. My question is about the DVD player. The company that sold them the equipment recommended that they stay away from the next gen HD dvds because of the undecided format. They did however say that because of the pre-amps ability to scale almost any source up to 1080p that they should just get a DVD player that outputs 480i over HDMI not component. So they sold us the Sony 9100es dvd player. Now I tried configuring it and the best I could set it too was 1080i because I didn't see an option for 480i, only 480p-720p or 1080i. Should this be a big deal? Should they insist on getting a player to output 480i over hdmi or will the sony 9100es output the picture as well at 1080i over hdmi? Please help.
post #6731 of 42976 Old 05-23-2007, 04:41 PM
gdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyorder1 View Post

So, I'm new to this thread and I'm trying to help out my parents who just purchased and installed this hometheater. Anyway, they bought the AVM50 with the PVA7 along side the Sony "ruby" projector. My question is about the DVD player. The company that sold them the equipment recommended that they stay away from the next gen HD dvds because of the undecided format. They did however say that because of the pre-amps ability to scale almost any source up to 1080p that they should just get a DVD player that outputs 480i over HDMI not component. So they sold us the Sony 9100es dvd player. Now I tried configuring it and the best I could set it too was 1080i because I didn't see an option for 480i, only 480p-720p or 1080i. Should this be a big deal? Should they insist on getting a player to output 480i over hdmi or will the sony 9100es output the picture as well at 1080i over hdmi? Please help.

The recommendation to use 480i over HDMI was good - since 480i is the native storage format of standard DVD, you're handing the D2/AVM50 an unprocessed signal. You do not want your DVD player to deinterlace, scale, or apply signal processing like noise reduction, sharpening etc. Let the D2/AVM50 do the work.

The 9100 looks like it is a decent unit, but a lot of the value is in it's internal processing (which you don't want) and it's analog audio path (which you don't need). So in your situation you're paying for stuff you don't need - something I personally avoid. I'm not sure if it can do 480i over HDMI - not many DVD players can. The one that gets mentioned here a lot is the Oppo 970 - because it's dirt cheap, no frills, but solid at providing an unprocessed signal over HDMI.

I also have a Ruby, and the PQ is better with 480i vs. having the Oppo upscale to 1080i. The difference isn't huge, but it's not super subtle either.

I think the MSRP on the Oppo is a ridiculous $179 or so. And it will play CD, HDCD, DVD-A, and SACD as well.

- Gordon

post #6732 of 42976 Old 05-23-2007, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdc View Post

I think the MSRP on the Oppo is a ridiculous $179 or so. And it will play CD, HDCD, DVD-A, and SACD as well.

It's actually 149 and it's a steal IMO if you have a D2/AVM50.
post #6733 of 42976 Old 05-23-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:

I haven't used the Dolby Digital disk, but I get great results setting levels with the internal feature. I recently moved my sub to the back of the room, and moved my L/R mains a little, and recalibrated. Wow! Big jump in quality. All I need to do now is get some bass traps and bit of diffusion and it will be a good summer.

You don't need to worry about setting main volume, since that is bypassed when using the speaker level setup. Make sure to set the Tone level at 75 dB. Also, make sure the RS meter is set for C weighting, slow response. I like to point it at the ceiling - I have it mounted on a mini-tripod.

Make sure neither of your players are doing any bass management - that usually means setting speaker size to Large in the player, and then letting the D2 do bass management by setting speaker size to Small and setting crossover frequencies.

Default settings for some players may include a lot of junk you don't want. I remember with my Oppo 970, I had to change a number of settings (with unclear names) to get it to spit out unprocessed video and multichannel audio via HDMI.

How do other members have their OPPO 970's settings (audio and video) set to the D2? I just bought one and would like it with Forum consensus' settings.
post #6734 of 42976 Old 05-23-2007, 06:16 PM
gdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddimberio View Post

How do other members have their OPPO 970's settings (audio and video) set to the D2? I just bought one and would like it with Forum consensus' settings.

General Setup page-
TV display: 16:9 Wide/Auto
SACD priority: Multichannel (only if you use SACD)

Speaker Setup page-
Downmix: 5.1 ch
Front speaker: LARGE
Center speaker: LARGE
Rear Speaker: LARGE
Subwoofer: ON

Audio Setup page-
SPDIF output: RAW
HDMI audio: Auto

Video Setup page-
Color Space: YCbCr 4:4:4
(all other video settings to 0 or OFF)

with the player stopped, press HDMI on the remote until the dislay says 480i. You're good to go.

- Gordon

post #6735 of 42976 Old 05-23-2007, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The correct DVD choice would have been the Blu-Ray Pioneer
BDP-HD1 or the new replacement unit announced last week
by Pioneer.

Why?

Two Reasons.

1) Although I am FORMAT neutral - I have owned both formats
from DAY-ONE - Blu-Ray will win - not based on better technology
which is Sony's Opinion - but because more CONTENT will be
available on Blu-Ray than HD DVD.

2) The Pioneer Blu-Ray player does output 480i over HDMI
for SD DVDs into my D2 for GREAT SD DVD quality and
on Blu-Ray titles outputs 1080p/24 the only player on the
market to do that. I also feed a RUBY from my D2. JUST
STUNNING PQ and STUNNING Audio from the D2 and
Uncompressed Lossless PCM tracks on Blu-Ray Movies.

My TWO CENT OPINION is your dealer is WRONG!
post #6736 of 42976 Old 05-23-2007, 07:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have to agree with Hank to a large degree. Obviously a lot of money was invested in this system. It really doesn't make any sense to me to tell someone not to get one of the new HD players just because there is a format war. Not when this kind of money is being put into the rest of the system, and now you are going to cripple it's abilities by not feeding it the best source material: Blu-ray and HD-DVD! HT enthusiasts typically spend a lot of time and money trying to get the best picture possible, and while the AVM50 receiving a 480i signal will certainly help improve PQ on standard DVD's, it still won't hold a candle to what you will get from the new HD formats.

As Hank said, the Pioneer BD players also output 480i, so you can still use it for your standard dvd's, sending that signal to the AVM50.

If possible, I would try to return the Sony and get a Pioneer Blu-ray player, or, at a minimum an HD-DVD player (although you won't get 480i output).

Good luck.
post #6737 of 42976 Old 05-23-2007, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Question for the group.

I am playing around with HD True Dolby, and am adding THX Ultra 2, what other processing do you like to add to you HD True Dolby, I am trying to get it to put out a 7.1.

Thanks
post #6738 of 42976 Old 05-23-2007, 07:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

Question for the group.

I am playing around with HD True Dolby, and am adding THX Ultra 2, what other processing do you like to add to you HD True Dolby, I am trying to get it to put out a 7.1.

Thanks

Dolby Digital EX or Pro Logic IIx. I prefer the latter.
post #6739 of 42976 Old 05-23-2007, 08:12 PM
gdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

by Pioneer.

Why?

Two Reasons.

Can the BDP-HD1 be set to output 480i for SD, and automatically switch to 1080p for the BD discs? If yes, I may need to add that soon.

- Gordon

post #6740 of 42976 Old 05-23-2007, 08:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Can the BDP-HD1 be set to output 480i for SD, and automatically switch to 1080p for the BD discs? If yes, I may need to add that soon.

Yes.

But to be more specific: you must engage the "source direct" option in the Pioneer. Blu-ray movies are encoded at 1080p/24....so the Pioneer will output 1080p/24 (not 1080p/60) since that is what is on the disc.

When you put in a standard DVD, it will output 480i...since that is what is on the disc.

Pretty cool feature!

The issue here is that the Anthem is currently having an issue with the Pioneer at 1080p/24 for some of us, resulting in stuttering. Someone with a Ruby (Hank) should chime in here.
post #6741 of 42976 Old 05-23-2007, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolstoi View Post

24/48.

Rob.. haven't heard it yet, but I am sure it is awesome... I am a big fan of those mixers, and I heard the track was great/
post #6742 of 42976 Old 05-23-2007, 10:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

24/48.

Rob.. haven't heard it yet, but I am sure it is awesome... I am a big fan of those mixers, and I heard the track was great/

Cool. Would like to hear (pun intended ) your thoughts after you give it a spin.

These untrained ears thought it was fantastic.
post #6743 of 42976 Old 05-23-2007, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

by Pioneer.

Why?

Two Reasons.

Don't forget that the BDPHD1 does not play CD's. One advantage to the Oppo is that in addition to 480i HDMI DVD you also get CD, SACD, DVD-A.

You could easily have both an HDDVD player and an Oppo 970 for less than the BDPHD1. If it were me, I'd get the A20/Oppo 970. No reason to spend extra for the XA2 (although I did). Both the XA2 and A20 should have 1080p24 output capability soon.

It seems there just isn't a true universal player right now.
post #6744 of 42976 Old 05-24-2007, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

The issue here is that the Anthem is currently having an issue with the Pioneer at 1080p/24 for some of us, resulting in stuttering. Someone with a Ruby (Hank) should chime in here.

The D2 timing with the Ruby is rock SOLID @ 24 or 48 fps.

With that said - I don't use it because the PQ is actually
better going 1080p/24 to D2 to 1080p/60 to Ruby.

WHY - that is a long story. It has nothing to do with the
D2 - it was the first PJ to handle 24 fps and the Ruby
has some issues that Sony refuses to fix - but it certainly
is NOT Shuttering - just a softer picture at 24 fps versus
60 fps.
post #6745 of 42976 Old 05-24-2007, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

Don't forget that the BDPHD1 does not play CD's. One advantage to the Oppo is that in addition to 480i HDMI DVD you also get CD, SACD, DVD-A.
(

True - but tyorder1 should buy the New Pioneer which does play CD's
and is less money than the BDP-HD1 which he probably could not find any more.
post #6746 of 42976 Old 05-24-2007, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Personally I'd still get a PS3 for Blu-ray, especially considering that they added 1080P24 and DLNA support last night.
post #6747 of 42976 Old 05-24-2007, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I would also go with the PS3, or the new Samsung BD-P1200 (1080p24) + Oppo 970HD (480i). The new Samsung can also output 1080p24 just like the Pioneers to the D2, and with the new Reon-VX chip, it got the highest score ever on the Secrets Shoot-out by kris Deering (a D2 owners btw...). The Samsung can also be update on the fly via the ethernet connection, and cost less money then the Pioneers.

I sold my Pioneer BDP-HD1 last week, bought the new Samsung BD-P1200, and put alot of money back in my pocket.

With the Samsung, you can then choose the chip you prefer or the best for a particular situation (mixed content, etc), HQV Reon-VX or Gennum VXP in the D2. Best of both worlds...
post #6748 of 42976 Old 05-24-2007, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

24/48.

Thanks!
post #6749 of 42976 Old 05-24-2007, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVESQUE View Post

I would also go with the PS3, or the new Samsung BD-P1200 (1080p24) + Oppo 970HD (480i). The new Samsung can also output 1080p24 just like the Pioneers to the D2, and with the new Reon-VX chip, it got the highest score ever on the Secrets Shoot-out by kris Deering (a D2 owners btw...). The Samsung can also be update on the fly via the ethernet connection, and cost less money then the Pioneers.

I sold my Pioneer BDP-HD1 last week, bought the new Samsung BD-P1200, and put alot of money back in my pocket.

With the Samsung, you can then choose the chip you prefer or the best for a particular situation (mixed content, etc), HQV Reon-VX or Gennum VXP in the D2. Best of both worlds...

I agree with you that the Samsung player with its Reon chip will perform well on HQV tests as the Toshiba XA2 is doing. Meanwhile the crowd in this thread mainly bought the D2 not to worry about player VP performance. What we are looking for is good transports no matter the format.

I prefer the BDP-HD1 as a Blu-Ray transport because I got stability. Yes the Samsung BD-1200 could represent a saving but until we get feedback from users it still represent a risk in terms of product quality and stability.

One of the reason peoples agree to pay more for a Pioneer Elite product or a high end Denon etc... is to get stability. The XA2 is performing well on HD HQV test meanwhile we just finally achieve stability on that product 5 months after its release with firmware 1.6. Before that release we had to suffer freeze and playback issues on some titles. The fact that the Samsung performs well in test is a good start but doesn't guaranty quality and stability.
post #6750 of 42976 Old 05-24-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVESQUE View Post

Where did you get it? I am in Canada as well and am saddened by the good deals south of the border yet unavailable to us....
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page