Forum Jump: 

Old 05-26-2007, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishysan View Post

Well I think I just experienced the PS3 causing a heat problem with my D2 to the RS1 tonight. Watched a BD movie with it, and then dropped in my first game (hadn't bothered buying one since I got it a few months ago!!) and I started getting audio crackling. At first it didn't occur to me that it might be the D2 overheating but maybe something else.

Shortly there after I powered down the D2 via the remote, and then powered up again to get no sound at all. The D2 (and PS3 for that matter) was quite warm. I shut it all down for tonight and I'll have to see about adding a fan if I want to use the PS3 until they fix that issue.

Hopefully it's nothing.. I'll cry if the D2 flakes out now that I have the RS1 with it.. hehe I'm sure it's fine though and just a fluke. I've had no issues after updating to 1.11e to fix the 1080i bug.

Ciao.

Keep in mind if you are using the PS3, that Sony just released firmware 1.80
which is a major upgrade for HDMI video output. It has helped my PS3 work
far better with the D2..

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2007, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Thanks. Since there will be young kids around too, I will probably go with something like you suggest: Open Season , Happy Feet, or Chicken Little!

I watch POTC with my kids yesterday. Conclusion tou should add that to the list.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwit View Post

Keep in mind if you are using the PS3, that Sony just released firmware 1.80 which is a major upgrade for HDMI video output. It has helped my PS3 work far better with the D2..

I totally concur with that. I just installed a PS3 in my room yesterday (Tolstoi's wife said I lost all credibility with that move! ) 1080p24, Media gallery... I couldn't resist and bought one. I just drank Sony's Kool-Aid!

But handshake is now rock-solid and so fast between the D2 and PS3, it's really impressive. Compared to the Toshiba HD-XA2 and the Pioneer BDP-HD1, it's a breath of fresh air...

The PS3 picture with the latest firmware is easily on par with the Pioneer BDP-HD1, and 1080p24 is rock-solid directly to the JVC HD-1/RS-1. But since I'm now using 1.11e again, I'm using 1080p60 from the PS3, and there is no differences with the BDP-HD1 picture quality with the same resolution. BUT! The PS3 is so fast and handshake is rock-solid! It takes like 10 seconds to put a Blu-ray disk in it and start the film. Just like my Oppo with DVDs. The PS3 is 20-30 seconds faster then the Pioneer Elite BDP-HD1 or Toshiba HD-XA2 for booting and starting to play a Blu-ray disk.

But PQ is just great. On the same level with the Pioneer. After watching 2 films yesterday evening, I'm so happy I bought the PS3... I was only waiting for 1080p24 before making my move...

And the Media Gallery is working alot better and faster on the PS3 then the Pioneer. Faster and easier to use.

IMHO, the latest firmware for the PS3 just made all the other Blu-ray players already on the market or coming out this summer OBSOLETE. I'm sure alot of Sony's partners making Blu-ray players are not really happy about that latest firmware for the PS3... Sony is probably paying ALOT of money to those manufacturers and "partners" to keep them "happy" after coming out with that firmware...

I'm sure Drhankz won't talk to me anymore (and I lost all credibility with Tolstoi's wife ) but the PS3 is an awesome Blu-ray player, even if not considering the price alone!

The only "problem" is the PS3 fan noise... It's like having a plane in my rack. It's behind a closed door, so I can't hear it, but I can only imagine what it would be like if it was directly in the room! The Pioneer BDP-HD1, fanless, was SOOOO silent...
Old 05-26-2007, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVESQUE View Post

I'm sure Drhankz won't talk to me anymore

How True How True How True.

My empty box for my PS3 should arrive Wednesday
so I can send it in for EXCHANGE.

I have only used mine 4 times and 4 times I had to
call Sony Tech Support. It won't run more than an
hour before CRASHING and hanging up - DEAD

I suppose that is OK for a GAME QUALITY!
Old 05-26-2007, 08:46 AM

Just updated to 1.8 last night have not watched a Blu-ray yet though. Maybe pick up Apocalypto today....
Old 05-26-2007, 09:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

No, I didn't check it. Whatever it was, it sounded great. Very impressive mixing job!

I agree, mind blowing. They don't give specs other than uncompressed 5.1.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I totally concur with that. I just installed a PS3 in my room yesterday (Tolstoi's wife said I lost all credibility with that move! ) 1080p24, Media gallery... I couldn't resist and bought one. I just drank Sony's Kool-Aid!

But handshake is now rock-solid and so fast between the D2 and PS3, it's really impressive. Compared to the Toshiba HD-XA2 and the Pioneer BDP-HD1, it's a breath of fresh air...

The PS3 picture with the latest firmware is easily on par with the Pioneer BDP-HD1, and 1080p24 is rock-solid directly to the JVC HD-1/RS-1. But since I'm now using 1.11e again, I'm using 1080p60 from the PS3, and there is no differences with the BDP-HD1 picture quality with the same resolution. BUT! The PS3 is so fast and handshake is rock-solid! It takes like 10 seconds to put a Blu-ray disk in it and start the film. Just like my Oppo with DVDs. The PS3 is 20-30 seconds faster then the Pioneer Elite BDP-HD1 or Toshiba HD-XA2 for booting and starting to play a Blu-ray disk.

But PQ is just great. On the same level with the Pioneer. After watching 2 films yesterday evening, I'm so happy I bought the PS3... I was only waiting for 1080p24 before making my move...

And the Media Gallery is working alot better and faster on the PS3 then the Pioneer. Faster and easier to use.

IMHO, the latest firmware for the PS3 just made all the other Blu-ray players already on the market or coming out this summer OBSOLETE. I'm sure alot of Sony's partners making Blu-ray players are not really happy about that latest firmware for the PS3... Sony is probably paying ALOT of money to those manufacturers and "partners" to keep them "happy" after coming out with that firmware...

I'm sure Drhankz won't talk to me anymore (and I lost all credibility with Tolstoi's wife ) but the PS3 is an awesome Blu-ray player, even if not considering the price alone!

The only "problem" is the PS3 fan noise... It's like having a plane in my rack. It's behind a closed door, so I can't hear it, but I can only imagine what it would be like if it was directly in the room! The Pioneer BDP-HD1, fanless, was SOOOO silent...

I was impressed on first release, but the lack of integration with existing automation systems (ie needed an extra Bluetooth remote, even after I rigged up the pseudo-PS2 to PS3 minimal controls) is a non-starter.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolstoi View Post

I watch POTC with my kids yesterday. Conclusion tou should add that to the list.

That's good to know....since I just got it 2 days ago!
Old 05-26-2007, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As great as the PS3 is, this is the main issue I have with it, and it was enough that I really couldn't use it as a stand alone BD player, which is why I got the Pioneer Elite HD1.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Just a cautionary note for folks looking to jump into Blu-Ray right now: Be aware that the Blu-Ray world is about to undergo the long awaited transition from player profile 1.0 to player profile 1.1. This will happen before the year is out. The new player profile includes things like PIP video overlay (for producer comments for example) and in-player audio mixing, a la "advanced" content for HD-DVD. It was delayed because the authoring tools weren't quite ready and Blu-Ray had to ship product to compete with HD-DVD. Blu-Ray titles that DEPEND ON the player having the new profile will likely be on the shelves for Christmas.

The problem is that current players will likely not be upgradeable to the new profile. This is due to the extra hardware demands of the new profile (more memory for buffering things for example).

And some players that MIGHT be upgradeable might not get that upgrade if the manufacturers believe they can get you to buy a new player instead.

As usual, if you want to have fun now, go ahead and buy a player now. But expect that you may NEED to buy a NEW player before the year is out to take full advantage of the new disc titles.

My guess is that the long awaited DTS-HD MA decoders in Blu-Ray players will also be bundled by manufacturers with the 1.1 profile stuff, to help encourage sales of the 1.1 profile stuff.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 05-26-2007, 09:44 AM
aus

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

As great as the PS3 is, this is the main issue I have with it, and it was enough that I really couldn't use it as a stand alone BD player, which is why I got the Pioneer Elite HD1.

You just need a dedicated, venitlated, closet like LEVESQUE has. I agree, it is kinda loud.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:46 AM
aus

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Some TV's can be turned on via the 12 volt trigger from the Anthem. If that's the case with your TV then you can instruct the Harmony to leave the TV turned on all the time (i.e., the Harmony won't send power on/off commands to the TV) and then you can actually turn on the TV using the Anthem trigger -- either whenever the Anthem is on, or only when certain sources are selected.

The three Anthem triggers have a 1/4 second delay between them, so if you put the amp on trigger 1 and the TV on trigger 3 that may give you the delay you need.

But really your best bet here is to have an electrician install an additional circuit for your amp.

---------------------------------------------------------

In the interim, it might be best for you to tell the Harmony to leave the TV on all the time, and then manually turn it on and off yourself.
--Bob

Thanks Bob. I'm so pissed at my builder for putting the media outlet on the same circuit with other outlets/lights int he same room. And at my self for not getting a 20 amp outlet back there like I was thinking of getting.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht View Post

I was impressed on first release, but the lack of integration with existing automation systems (ie needed an extra Bluetooth remote, even after I rigged up the pseudo-PS2 to PS3 minimal controls) is a non-starter.

Absolutely agree - No IR - No RS232 - My Crestron Control
System can not control it.

Therefore I use it as a GAME Machine Only.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Just a cautionary note for folks looking to jump into Blu-Ray right now: Be aware that the Blu-Ray world is about to undergo the long awaited transition from player profile 1.0 to player profile 1.1. This will happen before the year is out. The new player profile includes things like PIP video overlay (for producer comments for example) and in-player audio mixing, a la "advanced" content for HD-DVD. It was delayed because the authoring tools weren't quite ready and Blu-Ray had to ship product to compete with HD-DVD. Blu-Ray titles that DEPEND ON the player having the new profile will likely be on the shelves for Christmas.

The problem is that current players will likely not be upgradeable to the new profile. This is due to the extra hardware demands of the new profile (more memory for buffering things for example).

And some players that MIGHT be upgradeable might not get that upgrade if the manufacturers believe they can get you to buy a new player instead.

As usual, if you want to have fun now, go ahead and buy a player now. But expect that you may NEED to buy a NEW player before the year is out to take full advantage of the new disc titles.

My guess is that the long awaited DTS-HD MA decoders in Blu-Ray players will also be bundled by manufacturers with the 1.1 profile stuff, to help encourage sales of the 1.1 profile stuff.
--Bob

This is a good cautionary/advisory note.

Unfortunately it looks like these new BD players won't be available until at least October.

As I understand it, the new profile will mostly impact the playability of the extra features and some menu items. You will still be able to play the movie itself with the current crop of BD players.

The only other advantage to waiting will be if they add decoding for some of the audio formats such as DTS-HD MA, as Bob mentions. Of course, as long as studios like Sony and Disney keep giving us the uncompressed PCM tracks, this doesn't matter. But there are those Fox titles that only use DTS-HD MA, and more titles are coming.

And it has been established that NONE of the current BD players (with the possible exception of the PS3, but this is still undetermined) will be capable of a FW update to ever allow decoding of DTS-HD MA. FW updates to current BD players are possible to allow decoding of TrueHD etc.

Such is life in the early adopter world....
Old 05-26-2007, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post

You just need a dedicated, venitlated, closet like LEVESQUE has. I agree, it is kinda loud.

I need a LOT of things like LEVESQUE has!
Old 05-26-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:

Randall, do you have some inside info on this, or is it just a guess?

Personally, I think that once they get the video timings right (apparently already known to be fixed in V1.12) the proper cadence detection and handling should not be that much harder.
--Bob

No inside info. Just a guess that this is not one of their higher priorities right now. I hope you are right and I am wrong.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Blu-Ray players launched after October HAVE TO BE player profile 1.1. But that doesn't mean that 1.1 players can't be launched before that. Some players may even offer a subset of 1.1 features before that. But profile 1.0 players launched before that are not required to be upgraded.

Nobody really knows yet how much dependency the studios will build in to new, profile 1.1 titles. Obviously the hardware companies are depending upon 1.1 titles to drive sales of new 1.1 players which can only happen if 1.1 titles include things that people want to play, which don't play correctly on 1.0 players. In any event, current 1.0 titles will play in both styles of player.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 05-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I bought my PS3 last December '06 and have been very happy with it. At the time I purchased it, I compared it with other Blu-Ray players available at the time and thought it was the best deal, in terms of price (almost half the price of Blu-Ray players), features and functionality; it also had the greatest potential for upgradeability via firmware upgrades. I figured it is a good choice as a Blu-Ray player, until things settle down somewhat in the future, given how fast Blu-Ray and HD-DVD technology is changing now. And, if Blu-Ray loses out in the High-def war (which I don't think it will), the PS3 still makes a nice gaming machine.

FYI, earlier (last December/January), I was experiencing "freezing/hang" problems, in which the PS3 would stop playing the Blu-Ray disc. It didn't hang completely, since I can still bring up the PS3 menu, but it just stopped playing the disk. I no longer have this problem. I'm not sure what fixed it. I had upgraded to a newer firmware, and at the same time changed a video-related setting from "automatic" to another mode (don't recall off the top of my head what the non-auto setting is called). Anyway, now the PS3 is rock-solid for me.

I do agree that not having a true IR remote is a pain. I am using the PS2->PS3 remote solution that has been documented elsewhere, and surprisingly, other than power on and power off, the PS2->PS3 remote solution gives everything I normally need. I have programmed the necessary commands into my Pronto TSU7000 remote. Yes, having power on/off remote commands would be nice, but it really isn't as big a deal as one would think for movie watching. You have to get off the couch/chair and insert the disk and eject it anyway. Given the popularity of the PS3 (at least relative to the typical high-end home theater component), I wouldn't be surprised if Sony or a 3rd party company will come with a USB IR receiver for the PS3.

I'm currently at firmware 1.70. I haven't upgraded to 1.80 yet. I've read reports in other threads that the fan is a bit louder in 1.80 than previous firmware.

Anyway, the PS3 has worked flawlessly with my D2 (using HDMI!), and am very happy with it.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

IThe PS3 picture with the latest firmware is easily on par with the Pioneer BDP-HD1, and 1080p24 is rock-solid directly to the JVC HD-1/RS-1. But since I'm now using 1.11e again, I'm using 1080p60 from the PS3, and there is no differences with the BDP-HD1 picture quality with the same resolution.

Can you elaborate on this a little LEvesque? I just bought a PS3 myself and am wondering what to send to a 720p BenQ 8720. Any suggestions on what to set the PS3/D2 to for an optimal picture? What is it about 1.11e that had you alter your setting?

I am allowing 1080p to go to the D2 because my thinking was that I would rather the D2 scale down than the PS3.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expletive View Post

Can you elaborate on this a little LEvesque? I just bought a PS3 myself and am wondering what to send to a 720p BenQ 8720. Any suggestions on what to set the PS3/D2 to for an optimal picture? What is it about 1.11e that had you alter your setting?

I am allowing 1080p to go to the D2 because my thinking was that I would rather the D2 scale down than the PS3.

Maybe it is time to think about upgrading your PJ.

You are MISSING a lot!
Old 05-26-2007, 10:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think your thinking is correct. Send 1080p from the PS3 to the D2, and set the D2 to send 720p to your pj.

I would also try sending 1080p/24 to the D2 and see how it handles that. Theoretically this would be best, since the disc is encoded at 1080p/24 the PS3 would be acting as a transport without doing any processing of its own (in theory anyway).
Old 05-26-2007, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I read in the Home Theater Mag review that the Statement gear comes in a 17" wide option (upon special request). Any of the owners here have one of these? If yes, please post pics. It will be a stretch to fit the standard 19.25" model into my equipment cabinet.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Maybe it is time to think about upgrading your PJ.

You are MISSING a lot!

You are right I am overdue! I'm gonna hold out for 120hz and deep color though, just in case.

Rob,
Thanks for the vote of confidence, I picked up Casino Royale last night so i'll do some testing today with the D2 and 1080p24sf.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are right I am overdue! I'm gonna hold out for 120hz and deep color though, just in case.

Rob,
Thanks for the vote of confidence, I picked up Casino Royale last night so i'll do some testing today with the D2 and 1080p24sf.

Where are you getting 1080p24sf?
Old 05-27-2007, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Rob,

1) That will be a VERY Long Wait. Your Choice.

2) Professional Testing that has been done by the Studios
and equipment Manufacturers with Humans - has not yet
found the Human that can SEE the difference.

Test Equipment is the only thing that can see the difference.

Therefore - you won't be seeing Movies and equipment rushing to market.

As for Rob's Suggestion - In THEORY he is right.

However the results will probably be not very good.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

Where are you getting 1080p24sf?

I think he means fps
Old 05-27-2007, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think he means fps

Yes youre right, sorry.

I was under the impression that the Sony Pearl replacement would have 120hz? (Deep color is not as much of a big deal for me) Not to mention a lower price next year.

If you keep up this logic i'll have an RS1 here next week!

Incidentally, can i get the D2 to output 720p/72 from a 1080p24 signal? Would that eliminate judder?
Old 05-27-2007, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think he means fps

Just as an aside, 1080p24sf output capability would be a nice addition for the D2/AVM50. It seems to be a way to get judder-free playback which has already "had the kinks worked out" so to speak. Both the Ruby and Pearl take 1080p24sf, I don't know about the RS1.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Incidentally, can i get the D2 to output 720p/72 from a 1080p24 signal? Would that eliminate judder?

Yes, in theory. You should also be able to do the same thing from any interlaced film source (480i or 1080i) but it seems these issues are still being worked out (for the D2/AVM50 as well as other scalers out there).
Old 05-27-2007, 09:22 AM

The PS3 1.80 firmware update, just confirms how software based everything is
with HDMI and all these frustrating HDMI-HDCP problems..

I currently am using 1.11e, and still have problems with resolutions over 720P.
After having such a positive experience with the PS3 1.80 firmware upgrade, I
have re-newed hope that future software releases from Anthem, will correct
the many nagging HDMI problems with the D2 and hopefully get the most out of the Gennum processor .

Bob..

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers