Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

Old 06-29-2006, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FYI.....Software update 1.04 is now available for download for the AVM 50 from Anthem's website http://www.anthemav.com/NewSitev2.0/...areUpdate.html

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - - Stephen Roberts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2006, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

I also just noticed another download for "video settings editor". I hadn't noticed this before. Anyone know what this is for? I'll have to check it out tonight when I get home.

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - - Stephen Roberts
Old 06-29-2006, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
FYI, v1.04 of the D2 firmware is available online:

http://statement.anthemav.com/HTML/P...e/Upgrade.html

The following is from its readme file:

CHANGE LIST

v1.04:

1. Increased compatibility with HDMI-connected equipment that doesn't follow all of the HDMI spec.

2. Added adjustments for analog video inputs - see pdf file.

Tip: If you are using S-Video inputs and prefer the appearance of the hi-def OSD characters vs the default S-Video ones, you can enable the HD characters with S-Video inputs, although they will appear only when a video signal is present - change first item in menu 11 to HD Only.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:07 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatchaks View Post

I also just noticed another download for "video settings editor". I hadn't noticed this before. Anyone know what this is for? I'll have to check it out tonight when I get home.

Greetings,

This is so that the settings made in the video setup menu can be saved on your PC. Nick sent me this program along with the latest software update.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Old 06-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by placidman View Post

Greetings,

This is so that the settings made in the video setup menu can be saved on your PC. Nick sent me this program along with the latest software update.

Regards,

I though "settings editor" did this? Or is "video settings editor" for the scaler?

Old 06-29-2006, 02:43 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

I though "settings editor" did this? Or is "video settings editor" for the scaler?

Greetings,

Settings editor saves everything in the setup menu. Video settings saves everything associated with the video setup menu.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 06-29-2006, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post

Yes, passthrough would be a nice feature, particularly for misbehaved sources!

Try online video editor, bypass may be something that you are looking for.
You can do all kind of neat things online now.
Cool

May be New to this site but old to HT :)
MY HT
Old 06-30-2006, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmac View Post

Try online video editor, bypass may be something that you are looking for.
You can do all kind of neat things online now.
Cool

But the bypass is only for the video processing, and not for HDMI.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:22 PM

The 1.0.4 update is no longer on the web site--the 1.0 version is back...

Have there been problems with 1.0.4?
Old 06-30-2006, 01:53 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post

Greetings,

My guess would be that perhaps they found they needed to make an adjustment to it. I suspect it will be back up next week sometime.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 06-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, Placidman is correct. The problem is when a 1080i input is fed via component connection, and edge cropping is turned on, the picture gets scrambled, requiring a power-down.

1.05 should be available shortly after the Canadian holiday.

This information is from Nick.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:54 PM

Quote:

Yes,
Only if you use component
HDMI inputs are OK

MY HT
Old 07-02-2006, 12:53 AM
nkb

Witht the v1.04 upgrade my HDMI inputs and outputs were working.

Today I was working to get the triggers setup to power up my amps. That all worked out.

In the process, the HDMI video out cable fell out of the D2 (not uncommon with HDMI). I simply plugged it back in (I think the unit was on).

Now, I cannot get any picture. I have tried:

a. Removing the HDMI inputs, HDMI output only (see if I can get Setup)
b. Disabling the triggers, this was the one thing I changed.
c. Various sequences of power up/down of D2/components, source selection, etc.

Nothing works. Just get the "green screen".

I even reloaded v1.04 which had cured my HDMI problems.

Again, no change. Always the green screen.

Guess I am stuck again, until Anthem gives a clue of what to try next. Anybody have any suggestions?

Too bad, I thought I was past the HDMI issues.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

nkb - Did you try using another HDMI cable just to be sure?
Old 07-02-2006, 09:25 AM

I have repeatedly stated that I feel heat is the culprit. Try powering OFF the unit and removing the power cord. Give the unit several hours to cool down. It is overkill as it should be cool much faster than that but, give it a few hours anyway.

Put the cord back in and power it back up with the HDMI cord already plugged in.

Report back
Old 07-02-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanewbie View Post

Try powering OFF the unit and removing the power cord. Give the unit several hours to cool down. It is overkill as it should be cool much faster than that but, give it a few hours anyway.

Put the cord back in and power it back up with the HDMI cord already plugged in.

Report back

I will agree with this,
Also try to use diffrent HDMI input and Cable
Hope this helps you

MY HT
Old 07-02-2006, 03:04 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

If I had to guess it is possible that you damaged the HDMI output by making connection while the unit was powered up. The owner's manual clearly states that no connections should be made while the unit is turned on.

Hopefully that is not the case and you can get it working.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 07-03-2006, 12:54 AM
nkb

Upon close inspection of my HDMI cable (main out) it looked to me like a pin was missing. So I went out and bought a new cable. The old HDMI cable did work fine from the SAT receiver direct to the plasma. But, perhaps the "missing pin" didn't matter to the SAT but did to the D2.

In any event, the new cable didn't help ($70 down the drain). Now, no green screen. But no "certifying HDMI" message. Just black.

Gave up on HDMI for now. Hooked everything back up with component. Lot more cables, but the PQ still looks good. So maybe I don't need HDMI. On the other hand, what the hell did I pay for?
Old 07-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

I just wanted to clarify one post that I made earlier regarding how warm the AVM 50 gets. I stated that it did not run that warm.

I stand corrected. The unit does run warm when both the video/audio processing is running for extended periods ( say two hours or more ).

This should in no way be construed to mean that there is a performance issue related to this. So far my unit has been fine. I point this out because those considering the AVM 50 should ensure that it is placed in a location that provides proper ventilation.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 07-06-2006, 05:26 PM

mine is black too
Old 07-06-2006, 06:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Sorry dear people have to intervene, even if it is somewhat out of the context. First i am grinding my teeth for the AVM50 big time. I am waiting for the beta testers to give the final word though.

I notice quite a few talking about cable HD boxes. Just want to tell you that i got rid of my cable HD (5 channels) in favor of the Dish/Voom 23 HD channel lineup and will never look back. I have a 622 DVR unit and it can store 12 HD movies at a time. Awesome entertainment for 28 bucks/mo as i strictly get HD from them. Bought everything on ebay and installed it myself. Just my c2, and mainly because you Anthem people deserve better quality than the pathetic copper cable narrow bandwidth pixelatronics. Of course FIOS availability changes everything.

Sorry, dont mean to hijack the tread, hope this will help you enjoy some quality HD upscaled to 1080p.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

I wanted to give a quick follow up to my Oppo 970HD purchase. If you are on the fence on purchasing this player, place your order, you will love it.

480i run through the AVM 50's scaler is incredible. The 5.1 signal ran through the HDMI cable works great.

I recently subsribed to Widescreen Review, and they sent me a free copy of the HQV benchmark DVD. I ran the various tests from the disc. I have not been able to find any flaws. I'm now going to run the DVD through one of my other DVD players just to see what the flaws actually look like.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:58 PM

Is anyone using Dish DVR with the AVM-50 ? Any issues ?
Old 07-06-2006, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpaule View Post

Sorry dear people have to intervene, even if it is somewhat out of the context. First i am grinding my teeth for the AVM50 big time. I am waiting for the beta testers to give the final word though.

I notice quite a few talking about cable HD boxes. Just want to tell you that i got rid of my cable HD (5 channels) in favor of the Dish/Voom 23 HD channel lineup and will never look back. I have a 622 DVR unit and it can store 12 HD movies at a time. Awesome entertainment for 28 bucks/mo as i strictly get HD from them. Bought everything on ebay and installed it myself. Just my c2, and mainly because you Anthem people deserve better quality than the pathetic copper cable narrow bandwidth pixelatronics. Of course FIOS availability changes everything.

Sorry, dont mean to hijack the tread, hope this will help you enjoy some quality HD upscaled to 1080p.

Bob,
I currently have Comcast and the buggy 6412. I have been thinking of getting the 622 for the added HD content as well as the much improved HD recording capabilities.

A couple issues keep me from switching. I'm very satisfied with 480i (run through the AVM scaler) as well as the geat HD picture Comcast provides. I also like On Demand. As I understand it, all the Voom HD channels are HD lite. Tivo will soon release their Series 3 for cable. I"m having a hard time switching to Dish based on the above thoughts.

Since you recently made the switch, do you have any thoughts on my hesitation to switch?

Sorry guys, I know we have a seperate forum for Dish, but this could still be good information since most Motorolla boxes also give the Anthem problems. I have grown impatient over time with the Moto, and now owning the AVM, it is even more of a headache.

Old 07-07-2006, 06:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

For what it's worth, all my AVM-50 and DCT-3412 problems went away when I followed some suggestions from the Anthem folks. I'm not sure how they fixed my problems, but they did.

PSN: KyFriedNate | XBL: KyFriedNate
My SACD Collection | My DVD-A Collection
Old 07-07-2006, 07:24 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

I wanted to give a quick follow up to my Oppo 970HD purchase. If you are on the fence on purchasing this player, place your order, you will love it.

480i run through the AVM 50's scaler is incredible. The 5.1 signal ran through the HDMI cable works great.

I recently subsribed to Widescreen Review, and they sent me a free copy of the HQV benchmark DVD. I ran the various tests from the disc. I have not been able to find any flaws. I'm now going to run the DVD through one of my other DVD players just to see what the flaws actually look like.

Greetings,

Yatchaks, thanks for sharing. I have been thinking about the move to an inexpensive 480i (HDMI) equipped player. I have a Denon 3910 which I run at 720p through the AVM 50 and out ( unprocessed ) to my Sony HS51a projector. The Denon's scaler is very good and picture quality is as well. The Gennum is a better solution though. I really figured I would wait until a HD disc player with 480i/HDMI became available. However for the Oppo's price it might be worth giving it a shot to see how it compares to the Denon.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 07-07-2006, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For those searching for a 480i over HDMI DVD player to use with the D2, the Oppo 970HD is working great with the latest Oppo firmware.

I didn't had alot of time before to play with SD DVDs (since I'm busy listening to HD disks!), but yesterday I was able to look at 3 SD films with the Oppo 970. I'm impressed.

I was also able to try some SACDs finally over HDMI. The Oppo is still a little bit "buggy". When switching tracks with SACDs, I miss a couple of seconds at the beginning. But sound quality is surprinsigly good for a 149$ player. DVD-As are working pretty good also.

Oppo did it again.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

LEVESQUE

What are your thoughts on the build of the HDMI inputs and outputs. It seems this is the reason why most peoples units are failing. Of course people should be turning the unit off before making connections. I have no problems with any of my current components with the cable falling out.

Do you know the part number for the HDMI receptacle and is it on the HDMI approved connector list

"You can safely assume that you've created a Dog in your own image when it turns out that Dog hates all the same people you do."
Old 07-07-2006, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkb View Post

Upon close inspection of my HDMI cable (main out) it looked to me like a pin was missing. So I went out and bought a new cable. The old HDMI cable did work fine from the SAT receiver direct to the plasma. But, perhaps the "missing pin" didn't matter to the SAT but did to the D2.

In any event, the new cable didn't help ($70 down the drain). Now, no green screen. But no "certifying HDMI" message. Just black.

Gave up on HDMI for now. Hooked everything back up with component. Lot more cables, but the PQ still looks good. So maybe I don't need HDMI. On the other hand, what the hell did I pay for?

Do both cables work going direct?

"You can safely assume that you've created a Dog in your own image when it turns out that Dog hates all the same people you do."
Old 07-07-2006, 09:15 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVESQUE View Post

For those searching for a 480i over HDMI DVD player to use with the D2, the Oppo 970HD is working great with the latest Oppo firmware.

I didn't had alot of time before to play with SD DVDs (since I'm busy listening to HD disks!), but yesterday I was able to look at 3 SD films with the Oppo 970. I'm impressed.

I was also able to try some SACDs finally over HDMI. The Oppo is still a little bit "buggy". When switching tracks with SACDs, I miss a couple of seconds at the beginning. But sound quality is surprinsigly good for a 149$ player. DVD-As are working pretty good also.

Oppo did it again.

Greetings,

Levesque, this is good to hear. I am considering a 480i/HDMI DVD solution and the Oppo is a consideration. I am currently running a Denon 3910 at 720p through my AVM 50 ( pass through ) to my Sony HS51a front projector ( 1280x720 ). The Denon does a great job deinterlacing/scaling however I believe the Gennum would be a better option. The Denon is not capable of 480i/HDMI.

I love the Denon's audio reproduction and would keep if for SACD/CD playback. I will probably give the Oppo a shot.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers