21Likes

post #811 of 43386 Old 07-11-2006, 04:42 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Greetings,

I downloaded and installed 1.06 last night. No problems...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 43386 Old 07-11-2006, 05:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I installed 1.06 and had to restore factory defaults to get video back.

I have an issue with OPPO though. I cannot get a multi-channel from SACD, defaults to 2-channel. This worked before in 1.04.

I have OPPO (with 6/13 beta) set to RAW/SPDIF. I see it switch to "multi-channel" when playing back by going to "setup" menu when SACD is playing. Pre-amp just sees 2 channel.

I tried every 6-ch map (option "i") to see if pre-amp could find the 6 channels and no luck.

I have reported problem to Anthem but wanted to see if anyone else had this issue also.

Anthem has been good in fixing other issues I have had with OPPO and am very happy with their dedication to customer service.
post #813 of 43386 Old 07-11-2006, 07:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
NOTE THE NAME OF THIS THREAD...."Anthem D2 and Gennum VXP scaler. Tweak guide"

Please keep it on topic and not used for other motives. THIS IS THE ONLY WARNING THAT WILL BE GIVEN.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #814 of 43386 Old 07-11-2006, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Max... what version of software are you on? I had some similar issues on 1.00 and they went away with the newer software revs..
post #815 of 43386 Old 07-11-2006, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Randman,

I would use this as a starting point and go from there:

Set the S3 for RGB & Normal and the D2 to 1280x720p/60 & RGB. In the D2 VP menu (7 key access) under the picture menu make sure the input color space is set to Auto & Studio RGB. This combination should produce optimal results. Video Levels In (16-235) and Video Levels Out.

DVI in is inherently RGB. As a result, the signal must be converted at some point. Since you can do the convrsion in the D2 or the S3 try it both ways and see what you think produces a better image to your eyes. Short of a professional calibration, this is the best you can do.

Possible Alternative Configuration, try the following despite the descriptions:

Set the S3 to YCbCr or YPbPr, whichever works, (it should be YCbCr since this is the digital nomenclature for Component in the digital domain, but based upon there description it may have a limitation on the signal. YPbPr signafies analog component...) and Normal for black. Set the D2 to 1280x720p/60 YCbCr 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 (try both combinations along with the S3 combination also) & RGB. Same settings apply in the VP menu.

With the alternative settings the S3 will be doing the RGB conversion. Based upon some reports, RGB conversion in the D2 seems to be the cause of some of the problems reported with green and magenta screens. Try it and see how it goes. Finding the right combination that is optimal for your setup is the key to getting the most out of the D2.

Hope this helps.

Phil C.
"Where does he get all those wonderful toys"
Jack Nicholson as the Joker in Batman
post #816 of 43386 Old 07-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 946
pciav and notanewbie,
The floating blacks and noise problems also show if the DVD player sends 720x480p to the D2 (HDMI to HDMI) and the D2 then sends 720x480p to the Fujitsu (HDMI to DVI).

The problem does NOT show if the DVD player is directly connected to the Fujitsu at 720x480p (HDMI to DVI).

I've not tried 720p from the D2. I've tried 1080i from the D2 briefly, but not enough to be sure of the answer there.

In any event, all further testing on this will be place on hold while we attempt an upgrade to the new software!
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #817 of 43386 Old 07-11-2006, 12:51 PM

BOB: It is clearly the D2 at this point. All other options I can think of have been eliminated. Perhaps you will find a resolution that will not display this issue but, in the end I think if a firmware update doesnt cure the problem it is something you will have to live with.

Can you live with it?
post #818 of 43386 Old 07-11-2006, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Max... what version of software are you on? I had some similar issues on 1.00 and they went away with the newer software revs..

I'm on original firmware for both D2 and Oppo. Will update tonight.
post #819 of 43386 Old 07-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

When my AVM 50 is working, I love it. However, I'm getting a little frusttrated with a few issues. My wife can't believe the money we have spent on my equipment, and then I have to show her how to respond to the various glitches. Of course, her frustration adds to mine. If anyone has any suggestion/tips, please let me know.

I have corresponded with Nick via e-mail after various beta release were sent to me. The following e-mail was sent today.

Nick,

I wanted to mention a few problems with the latest software installed.

Moto 6412 (9.19) connected via HDMI/DVI---Better than half of the time I get a squished image in the middle about 1/3 the size of the screen with both HD an SD. A power toggle (AVM 50 or 6412)) fixes the issue. This usually happens when powering everything on, but sometimes happens when changing channels on the fly.

When watching a DVD on the Oppo 970 (latest software installed) and switching to the Moto 6412, I get a green screen and need to power toggle the AVM 50. This happens 100% of the time. I have attempted to power toggle the Moto 6412, but it has never worked.

I Mentioned before about using the Intel Mac Mini, and mentioned it was working well. I had to resort to plugging (HDMI/DVI) it back in to the Sony SXRD instead of the Anthem. Whenever I have to do a restart to the Mac Mini, I get a black screen. The only fix is to plug DVI from the TV to the Mac, then back to (HDMI/DVI) the Anthem.

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - - Stephen Roberts
post #820 of 43386 Old 07-11-2006, 04:39 PM

Yatchaks,

I have a similar setup as you, AVM-50 with OPPO and 6412 (71.44 / 09.17) from Brighthouse MI.

I found that if I have the OPPO sending 480i to the preamp and 6412 sending either 720p or 1080i to the preamp then when I switch from 6412 to OPPO and back I lose the picture. I get a black screen instead of green.

If I set the OPPO to output either 720p or 1080i to the preamp then I can switch between the 2 without a loss of picture.

Note that the output resolutions on the 6412 and OPPO do not have to match i.e. one can be 720p and the other 1080i.

Also, this problem only happens on the HDMI inputs. I have DISH/TIVO feeding the preamp via S-Video at 480i and do not have an issue switching between 6412 and those inputs.

I am having an issue with the latest firmware 1.06 as noted in a post above where I cannot get multi-channel SACD to work.
post #821 of 43386 Old 07-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pciav View Post

Randman,

I would use this as a starting point and go from there:

Set the S3 for RGB & Normal and the D2 to 1280x720p/60 & RGB. In the D2 VP menu (7 key access) under the picture menu make sure the input color space is set to Auto & Studio RGB. This combination should produce optimal results. Video Levels In (16-235) and Video Levels Out.

DVI in is inherently RGB. As a result, the signal must be converted at some point. Since you can do the convrsion in the D2 or the S3 try it both ways and see what you think produces a better image to your eyes. Short of a professional calibration, this is the best you can do.

Possible Alternative Configuration, try the following despite the descriptions:

Set the S3 to YCbCr or YPbPr, whichever works, (it should be YCbCr since this is the digital nomenclature for Component in the digital domain, but based upon there description it may have a limitation on the signal. YPbPr signafies analog component...) and Normal for black. Set the D2 to 1280x720p/60 YCbCr 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 (try both combinations along with the S3 combination also) & RGB. Same settings apply in the VP menu.

With the alternative settings the S3 will be doing the RGB conversion. Based upon some reports, RGB conversion in the D2 seems to be the cause of some of the problems reported with green and magenta screens. Try it and see how it goes. Finding the right combination that is optimal for your setup is the key to getting the most out of the D2.

Hope this helps.

Phil:

Thanks for the info. Once I get home from travelling, I'll give this a try. Don't recall if I tried the first option you specified (but various combinations that I tried resulted in green/magenta screens).

Thanks.
post #822 of 43386 Old 07-12-2006, 04:24 AM
Advanced Member

Updated both Oppo and D2. Still get the green dots when signal from Oppo is 480i. No problem with other resolutions. Any ideas?

I also connected Oppo directly to the pj, bypassing D2. No dots.
post #823 of 43386 Old 07-12-2006, 05:33 AM

Have you been trying the Oppo on different HDMI inputs? I know with my D2, only certain devices will work on certain inputs, ie: My Toshiba XA1 will only work on HDMI2.

Also, have you another HDMI input device you can try? Perhaps you can borrow one. You may also want to try different HDMI cables.

If all else fails, contact Nick at Anthem. He will probably initially blame the problem on the Oppo, and whine about how he always has to fix others problems. Ignore his martyrdom act and remind him that there are many of us out here using the Oppo with the D2 without issues.

Jerry Rappaport
post #824 of 43386 Old 07-12-2006, 07:32 AM
Read the FAQ!

Max,
Are you by any chance using rather long HDMI cables when hooked up through your D2? What you are seeing as green dots might possibly be bit dropout due to a weak digital signal over a long (or otherwise flakey) cable.

However, usually such bit dropout would be much more randomized in screen position. And it is hard to see how a cable problem would show when your input is 480i and go away when your input is 480p.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Here's another experiment to try: Lower both Brightness and Contrast on your display substantially, and also lower them in the D2 for the Oppo's input. Do the green dots go away?

If so, then you are likely overdriving black levels on either the D2 or the display (or both). A digital signal path like this will have trouble if you try to set black levels so high that it tries to make black into very dark gray. It can't light all the pixels "just a little bit" since the minimum step is one step up in digital value, so instead it tries to dither by turning on just a few of the pixels. This can result in a regular pattern of wrong color pixels like you are seeing -- think of it as a rounding error.

To test this you need to lower the settings both on the D2's input for the Oppo and on the display since the rounding error could happen at either of those points. If the Oppo has its own output level controls you might want to try lowering them as well. If lowering levels makes the green dots go away, then use the re-appearance of the green dots as an upper limit on suitable settings when you are picking proper levels for normal viewing.

Now many source devices, including some DVDs, handle Black levels differently for 480i vs. 480p output. On analog outputs this is due to market research confusion over whether more customers will find an easy match of source to display if the source, by default, puts out Black as zero voltage vs. the small positive voltage corresponding to 7.5 IRE. There should be no such confusion regarding the digital outputs, but nevertheless many many source devices still confusingly switch between Black = digital 0 and Black = digital 16 when you change output resolution from 480i to 480p or vice versa.

The result is that your source's output Black levels will unexpectedly shift by 16 steps when you change between those two resolutions. And that may be enough to overdrive blacks at your current level settings.

If THAT'S the culprit, then look for a "Black Level" control on the Oppo. It will have two choices, but they could be called just about anything since the marketing guys have no clue how to describe this: E.g., Normal vs. Enhanced, or 0 vs 7.5, or Lighter vs. Darker. When you switch to 480i just switch that Black Level control to the other setting as well and see if the problem goes away.

Since 480i directly to the display shows no problem, the expectation would be that you are overdriving blacks on the digital input into the D2. But it could be that your levels are set so close to the upper limit on the display, that just the subtle differences in processing between 480i and 480p in the D2 are shifting things just over the limit on the output to the display.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this is a device flaw, as opposed to cable problems or level setting problems, isolating which device is at fault is the next step.

You can "borrow" another cheap HDMI source device from a store like Best Buy with an easy 30 day return for refund policy. If the green dots don't show, then the finger points at the Oppo.

If the green dots do show, then the finger points at the D2 since you already know you have no green dots with the Oppo directly connected to the display.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #825 of 43386 Old 07-12-2006, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for your replies guys.

Bob,

Cable from Oppo to D2 is about 3 ft copper that came w/Oppo. D2 to pj is 20m fiber DVI w/HDMI-DVI adapter. I will buy and try a different cable between Oppo and D2. The long optical would be very hard to replaces (in-sofft long run) and it works directly b/t Oppo and pj.

Interesting point about blacks. I'll experiment tonight. None of the three devices in the chain -- oppo, D2, or projector -- have been calibrated yet.

DrJRapp,

I'll try different HDMI inputs -- good one.

I sent Nick an email last night with problem and photo. He asked a couple of follow-on questions and tried to reproduce problem inhouse. Something he suggested trying is to set D2 output to something other than 720p. He also asked if it happens with another, different source. I'll need to try tonight.

Which brings me to the question of a different source to try. Since the problem is when oppo is sending 480i to D2, can anyone suggest a source that outputs 480i HDMI that I can "borrow" from a store? I don't have a cable box. And none of the big box stores around here is selling Pioneer 59 or 79 DVD player.

Heck, I guess I can send an email to Oppo -- see if they've ever seen this.

Thx,
Max
post #826 of 43386 Old 07-12-2006, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Spivak View Post

Which brings me to the question of a different source to try. Since the problem is when oppo is sending 480i to D2, can anyone suggest a source that outputs 480i HDMI that I can "borrow" from a store? I don't have a cable box. And none of the big box stores around here is selling Pioneer 59 or 79 DVD player.

Hello Max,
Here are the players that can send 480i over HDMI
Pioneer Elite 79avi
Pioneer Elite 59avi
Sony DVP-NS975V
Arcam DV79
Marantz DV9600
Classe CDP-300
SigmaTek XMB-510
LG LDA-511
NeuNeo HVD2085 (latest firmware as of 3-14-2006)
LG DVX9900H
Oppo 970HD
Pio DV490-V

May be New to this site but old to HT :)
MY HT
post #827 of 43386 Old 07-12-2006, 03:00 PM

Max

Why don't you ask the dealer that sold you the D2 if they have a DVD to lend you that does 480i over HDMI.

Jerry Rappaport
post #828 of 43386 Old 07-12-2006, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Oppo says they've never seen it:
---
We have not heard of this error before, either from end users or beta
testers. We do know that Antem recently updated their firmware, and it
may be adventageous to update the firmware to see if this does not fix
your 480i error.
---

elmac -- good list. I guess I could've searched for it
post #829 of 43386 Old 07-12-2006, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Spivak View Post

elmac -- good list. I guess I could've searched for it

Some time is easier to ask

May be New to this site but old to HT :)
MY HT
post #830 of 43386 Old 07-13-2006, 08:11 AM

Just took the AVM50 plunge! I should get it in a week or so. Thanks Placidman for your comments! I felt the 50 was a better choice for me than the D2 for much the same reasoning as yours. I'm sure there will be bugs to explore with my equipment as well and I'll post my experiences as they develop.
DJ
post #831 of 43386 Old 07-13-2006, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post

Is anyone using the AVM50 with a Panasonic plasma, using either DVI or HDMI input? If so I would appreciate any comments on problems, PQ, etc. Thanks.

So no one on the planet is using the AVM50 (or D2) with a Panasonic plasma?!!

"The truth is out there!"
post #832 of 43386 Old 07-13-2006, 08:54 AM
Read the FAQ!

New improved continuing saga, V1.06 --

I'm a Mac kind of guy so I originally tried doing the upgrade from V1.00 to V1.06 using Virtual PC on the Mac with a Belkin USB to Serial adapter that I've used for other applications. My intent was to verify the connection using Live Video Settings Editor, and then go from there.

But Live Video Setting Editor was not able to get a good lock on the connection. It would sometimes find the D2 but would then promptly lose it again.

OK, so I abandoned the Mac and switched to an older Windows PC that I keep around for just such purposes.

Son of a gun but Live Video Settings Editor wouldn't communicate properly that way either!

So I tried the new Setup Editor that came with V1.06 and that worked fine! And based on that confidence check, I ran the upgrade and that ran fine as well.

Although I didn't go back to the Mac to try again, it is quite possible doing this stuff on the Mac would ALSO have worked if I'd just ignored Live Video Settings Editor. Live Video Settings Editor was identified as V1.04, so it may simply not be compatible with the original V1.00 D2 software. I didn't try it again on the PC after the upgrade either, so it might work now, I just don't know.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I used Settings Editor to save my settings to the PC prior to the upgrade and to restore them after the upgrade. That worked fine as well.

As warned in the included docs, the output resolution to my Fujitsu ended up at a strange setting (1280 x 980 or some such) after this, but resetting that was no problem.

Other settings seemed to come through unscathed.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The new software seems to have fixed the HDMI connection problems between sources and the D2, and between the D2 and the display. Yay!

Other observations are:

1) The "floating blacks" are still present

2) The low gray scale noise is still present, but at a much more manageable level. That is, it is much easier to find Contrast/Brightness settings that work for basic level and also minimize, if not quite completely eliminate this noise.

3) I'm still seeing the Bottom two lines cropped on my 1360 x 768 output to the Fujitsu. Since I have no other device that can drive the Fujitsu at that resolution, I'm not sure whether this is a D2 problem or a Fujitsu problem. Left, Right, and Top go right out to pixel 0 on the Avia Pro pixel cropping test screen. Of course the left most 3 pixels and rightmost 2 pixels of each line are not driven since the Fujitsu can't accept it's full native matrix (a known Fujitsu limitation). But except for the loss of the bottom two lines of pixels, the pixels that ARE being driven appear to be matched 1 to 1. [By the way, the AVMII processing in the Fujitsu can not be bypassed, but when fed a 1360 x 768 signal, it is, apparently, not scaling -- just doing it's other processing as for example the low gray dithering that I suspect is battling with the D2's dithering and resulting in the noise I see if Contrast/Brightness levels are set wrong.]

4) The Polk XM receiver has a video display that only offers S-video output. It's kind of a grim reminder of just how bad TV used to be before Component and digital connections. However the new S-video adjustments in D2 V1.06 go a long way towards cleaning up that display. They seem to work just fine.

5) For some reason the new V1.06 software disables the Color and Hue input Video Source Adjustment / Picture settings for HDMI inputs. Shifting Color and Hue in the D2 to either end of their range has no effect whatsoever, whereas they worked just fine in V1.00. That means any color/hue adjustments have to be made either in the source device or at the display. I don't know if this is a new bug or if they decided it has to be this way for some reason.

6) The delay in startup of audio on changing channels from the Comcast HD/DVR remains as before if the audio is sent over HDMI. The workaround, as before, is to send audio over, say, the optical digital connection.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calibration:

First I checked the default settings on the Fujitsu (Contrast, Brightness, Color, and Hue all at 0, and Sharpness at -4, its minimimum setting for this resolution) against the D2's built in test patterns. By eye and using the R, G, B color gelatin filters, the default settings seem to be a fine match for what the D2 is putting out. I assumed I would just leave them there and do everything else in the D2's input controls, but see color adjustment below.

Using Avia Pro I then spent quite a bit of time trying variations on D2 input settings for my Pioneer Elite DV-59avi DVD player. The best Contrast/Brightness settings are indeed different from V1.00. Although "floating blacks" and low gray noise are still present, it is much MUCH easier to come up with a good pair of Contrast/Brightness settings that largely if not quite completely eliminates the noise without having to drive Blacks so high that excessive Blacker than Black detail becomes visible on nearly black scenes. I was able to set Black levels "normally" for 7.5 IRE and 10 IRE screens and have them carry through reasonable for the 55 IRE screen. Meanwhile Peak Whites were not crushed on the 100 IRE screen and the Deep Double X test screen showed a nicely sharpened Peak White level for the range between 235 and 254.

The final settings on the D2 input for the 59avi were:

Contrast: 47
Brightness: 46

These settings also look great on the Banding Check chart and the other Ramp charts. Default Gamma settings seem to be OK as well.

Then I went to adjust Color, and found that the default 50/50 settings were a little off compared to being quite good for V1.00. So I tried to adjust them and discovered that unlike V1.00, these controls have NO EFFECT on the HDMI input from the 59avi.

Scratch head, scratch head. Well the 59avi has it's own color output adjustments, but I decided to do the adjustment on the Fujitsu instead since I'm used to doing it that way from previous configurations.

I use the Color Checkerboard chart in Avia Pro which allows me to see the effect on Red, Green, and Blue simultaneously to pick the best "compromise" setting for saturation and tint for all three colors simultaneously. I've had good luck with doing it this way in the past -- finding that such a compromise setting is startlingly superior in real movie watching to the traditional user level approach of setting Color and Hue according to just the Blue channel and then reducing Color (only) as necessary to compensate for any Red push.

The final, compromise settings on the Fujitsu were:

Color: -1
Hue: +3

Both just a hair different from the Fujitsu's default 0/0.

Rechecking color to the Fujitsu with the D2's own, new SMPTE Color chart showed that indeed these settings were slightly off (i.e., 0/0 was better). But using the whole data path from the 59avi to the display, the settings above were superior.

But of course that means the Comcast HD/DVR would also be using these settings.

Lacking any obvious way to calibrate the Comcast HD/DVR separately (does INHD or whoever broadcast test screens periodically that I can record like HDNET does on DirecTV?), I just copied the Contrast /Brightness settings to the D2 input for the Comcast box and left the Fujitsu color settings as above.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

With these settings, and after (only) several hours of critical viewing my results so far are as follows:

The DVD imagery is spectacular.

It is simply the best I've seen so far. Problem scenes were cleaned up even more than with the V1.00 software -- which I attribute to being able to find settings that greatly reduce the inherent low gray noise without also forcing Blacker than Black data to appear in near black scenes.

I have seen a very few instances of instantaneous drop out in the HDMI video path from the DVD player (i.e., a brief white flash -- probably just one frame and not reproduceable if the scene is played again). But since I was playing problem DVDs that may be the cause, or there may have been some other source of transient interference affecting the signal. I'll keep an eye out for this, but right now it is not a problem.

Comcast SDTV is very very good for SDTV. Sometimes I will need to turn "Edges On" in the Video Source Adjustment / Cropping menu since otherwise I've allowed no overscan and will see the source station's noise data -- usually at the top of the screen. This is an easy adjustment when needed, but it would be nice if Anthem could make it an automatic setting on any given input for incoming 480i vs. 1080i.

Comcast HDTV is also very very good, but not quite spectacular yet. I suspect I may need to adjust black levels a bit more as I'm seeing a bit more low level graininess than I think should be there. This could be Blacker than Black data creeping up into visibility, or could be the inherent low gray noise that will be eliminated by a slight tweaking of D2 input settings. Edges On is sometimes needed here as well if a digital station is transmitting 4:3 content in a 1080i frame. Colors look just fine given that I'm sharing the Fujitsu's color settings between the Comcast and DVD paths.

All in all I'm quite pleased by the progress in this software upgrade.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Audio sounds very good using default settings and having only adjusted speaker type, distance and level, but I still have to tune the bass response for my room, so any critical listening will wait until I've done that.
--Bob

post #833 of 43386 Old 07-13-2006, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

New improved continuing saga, V1.06 --
5) For some reason the new V1.06 software disables the Color and Hue input Video Source Adjustment / Picture settings for HDMI inputs. Shifting Color and Hue in the D2 to either end of their range has no effect whatsoever, whereas they worked just fine in V1.00. That means any color/hue adjustments have to be made either in the source device or at the display. I don't know if this is a new bug or if they decided it has to be this way for some reason.
--Bob

Bob:

Thanks for the detailed info. If color and hue settings aren't available, that's not good. My display's DVI input doesn't allow setting of color and hue, so having the D2 provide these settings is a really nice benefit. Have you been able to confirm with Anthem if this is indeed a problem inadvertently introduced in v1.06?

Thanks.
post #834 of 43386 Old 07-13-2006, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post

So no one on the planet is using the AVM50 (or D2) with a Panasonic plasma?!!

Apparantly, the D2 does not provide the correct timing to output native rate to a commercial Panasonic display. Supposedly Anthem is working on a fix. There was a huge ugly thread about it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=anthem+d2
post #835 of 43386 Old 07-13-2006, 10:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

1.04 Live Video came with the briefly released 1.04 and 1.06. It did not work for me under 1.0 (major differences in interface), 1.04 nor 1.06. As you mention Bob it looses lock and typically hangs on a save or load operation.

The 7 key is my friend.

On Comcast I noticed I needed to set 16:9 vs HDMI inputs (which works on some sources to maintain aspect ratio), bot not with the Moto boxes, it just stretches the horizontal on SD material.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #836 of 43386 Old 07-13-2006, 10:52 AM

I have an H79 projector which has a native rate of 720p so I am not expecting an issue passing native resolution from the AVM50. I would not have purchased the Anthem if the situation were otherwise.
DJ
post #837 of 43386 Old 07-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Read the FAQ!

randman,
I haven't had any direct contact with Anthem yet. I was kind of holding off until I had a problem that didn't have an obvious workaround or pending software fix, and I really haven't hit that yet. If I'm right on this Color/Hue thing, and I can't imagine how I could have fooled myself on this one, I suspect they'll get any number of phone calls shortly.
--Bob

post #838 of 43386 Old 07-13-2006, 02:32 PM
Read the FAQ!

rudolpht,
Try this: Set HDMI "16:9" output on the Comcast HD/DVR. And leave it that way.

Using your friendly, neighborhood "7" key, set the D2's Video Source Adjustment / Scale Output to "Letter/Pillar Box" for the Comcast input.

For me that produces a proper 16:9 wide image for HDTV channels, and a 4:3 image with D2-manufactured pillar box bars on either side for SDTV channels on my Comcast/Motorola 3412 HD/DVR.

Automatically.

The D2's pillar box color is adjustable in the Setup menu.

[If you prefer to see your 4:3 content in wide screen -- for example if you are concerned about burn-in on a plasma -- select "Anamorphic" in this menu instead. That too will work just fine for both HDTV and SDTV. Personally I leave it on Anamorphic for casual viewing (since I use a plasma) and temporarily switch it to Letter/Pillar Box for critical SDTV viewing, e.g., those all important Addams Family reruns.]

This D2 function does NOT work automatically for my 59avi DVD player, so I leave that one on Anamorphic in the D2 and switch to Letter/Pillar Box manually as necessary for watching older movies or DVDs of TV programs. You can also get to this D2 setting via a fancy pressing combo of the Mode key -- see the new V1.06 documentation.
--Bob

post #839 of 43386 Old 07-13-2006, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I've only had my D2 a few hours so far so good but still setting up. Quick question about the "7" Video menu settings are they global or input specific?
post #840 of 43386 Old 07-13-2006, 05:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

rudolpht,
Try this: Set HDMI "16:9" output on the Comcast HD/DVR. And leave it that way.

Using your friendly, neighborhood "7" key, set the D2's Video Source Adjustment / Scale Output to "Letter/Pillar Box" for the Comcast input.

For me that produces a proper 16:9 wide image for HDTV channels, and a 4:3 image with D2-manufactured pillar box bars on either side for SDTV channels on my Comcast/Motorola 3412 HD/DVR.
--Bob

That's what I meant to say, only less eloquently I meant "HDMI stream timings" vs "4:3" vs "16:9" vs using HDMI as an input (I actually use Component on the Moto to avoid the side issues to good effect). Bottom line as I got from you, 16:9 is the appropriate default. I wonder if any source uses the HDMI aspect ratio metadata correctly.

I use your methodology described on the 59Avi also. Thanks!

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page