Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 301 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9001 of 43014 Old 09-13-2007, 09:46 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiman View Post

Since the D2 is not decoding the DTS-HD MA, what exactly is coming out of it ? i thought it was getting only the DTS core on the LPCM track.

Also, i played a DTS 96/24 from the PS3. One time on lpcm and one time on bistream. I got 6 ch 48 khz (pcm) and DTS 96/24 signal (bistream) at 1536 kbps. Is it normal ?

DTS-HD MA is made up of a "core" (lossy) audio track and extensions that add back in the parts that would otherwise be lost. It is done that way quite deliberately so that the "core" track is easy to extract -- essentially no processing is involved.

Traditional, lossy, DTS bitstreams come in a high and low bit rate form. The low bit rate form has about 1/2 the bandwidth of the high bit rate form. Early DTS tracks on standard DVDs were almost always the high bit rate form as DTS was trying to carve out its competitive position. DTS tracks on many standard DVDs today, however, are the low bit rate form.

The "core" track subset of a DTS-HD MA track is a high bit rate, lossy, traditional DTS bitstream.

-------------------------------------------

The raw PCM track found on many Blu-Ray discs is an uncompressed copy of the studio mix for the movie at a given bandwidth -- usually 48KHz. Since it has never been encoded, it is, by definition, a lossless track.

The result of fully decoding a DTS-HD MA track is a PCM track. The reductioin in size and bit rate resulting from the packing (encoding) of that track into DTS-HD MA means the studios have THE OPTION of using a higher quality PCM track as the source mix -- higher than 48KHz -- while still staying within the capacity and reading-the-disc bit rate limitations of the Blu-Ray disc format.

However, as of today, essentially nobody is taking advantage of that yet.

That is, the PCM which has been used as the source for the DTS-HD MA track is, quite likely, *ALSO* that same 48KHz mix. Which means the raw PCM track is identical to what would come out of fully decoding the DTS-HD MA track!

This may change over time, but right now, that's what most studios are doing. By the way, the PCM mix used as the source for the lossless Dolby TrueHD tracks is also, almost always, a 48KHz mix. As with DTS-HD MA, studios have THE OPTION of using a higher quality PCM mix as the source for their TrueHD tracks, but right now they don't.

[Note: There is a strangeness in the Toshiba HD-DVD players where a setting intended for the SPDIF output can cause the HDMI PCM output to upsample the 48KHz PCM to 96KHz -- and quite poorly by all accounts. If your Toshiba is sending out 96KHz from a 48KHz track you should make it stop doing that.]

--------------------------------------------

However, when you tell the player to send a bitstream version of the DTS-HD MA track over an SPDIF output or over HDMI V1.1 all you will get is the "core" or "compatibility" track. Again that is a LOSSY subset of the DTS-HD MA track -- essentially at the quality level of standard DVD DTS tracks.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9002 of 43014 Old 09-13-2007, 10:35 AM
Member
 
Jim E.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure if this was talked about but at CEDIA, Anthem "teamed up" with Panamorph which is a maker of anamorphic lenses for HT projectors. I'm not implying that this was some sort of partnership. They just so happened to be in the same booth which I believe helped show off how both products could complement one another.

This is panamorph's site: http://www.panamorph.com/

They had the JVC RS1 sitting behind the panamorph lense and used this setup to project the movie (Phantom of the Opera) on a masking 2:35 screen.

They first showed it masked in a 16 x 9 format and then hit a button where the masking came up to expose the 2:35 screen.

Basically you use the custom setting in the D2 to crop the specific input by adjusting (i.e. stretching) the vertical to 810 and use the anamorphic lens to optically stretch the image.

According to panamorph, about 70% of motion pictures are shot in 2:35. I believe that most of those are also 24 hz too.

I'm sure this was touched on in the past but just in case....

Jim
Jim E. is offline  
post #9003 of 43014 Old 09-13-2007, 11:07 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Yup! There's discussion of the Scale Out = Custom settings in the links collected in the first post of this thread.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #9004 of 43014 Old 09-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 838
By the way, this thread just crossed 9000 posts.

Amazing.

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #9005 of 43014 Old 09-13-2007, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rob Tomlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

By the way, this thread just crossed 9000 posts.

Amazing.

--Bob

Rob Tomlin is offline  
post #9006 of 43014 Old 09-13-2007, 12:42 PM
gdc
Senior Member
 
gdc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

By the way, this thread just crossed 9000 posts.

Amazing.

--Bob

Yes, and a substantial percentage of those has been you helping others out and disseminating valuable information in a very concise and accurate way.

Thanks a bunch from the club!

- Gordon

We don"t see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin
gdc is offline  
post #9007 of 43014 Old 09-13-2007, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tolstoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 2,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post


And I read all of them at least once
Tolstoi is offline  
post #9008 of 43014 Old 09-13-2007, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AnthemAVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

I have asked this question before but no answer. My AVM 50 never displays anything but 5.1 with any pcm output from my ps3. It never says PCM. Should it? With TrueHD again it displays 5.1. I have nothing overlayed over the original signal so this is what's on the display. Not to belabour the point but it would irritate me if my unit was not displaying the correct info even though it sounds like it is.

When I watch a DTS or 96/24 DVD on my 3910 I see the DTS or 96/24 on the Anthem Display, but when I play the same on the Xa2, all I see if a 5.1 on the Anthem display, why?


Thanks
AnthemAVM is offline  
post #9009 of 43014 Old 09-13-2007, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jayray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mississauga, Canada
Posts: 4,708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

When I watch a DTS or 96/24 DVD on my 3910 I see the DTS or 96/24 on the Anthem Display, but when I play the same on the Xa2, all I see if a 5.1 on the Anthem display, why?


Thanks

Finally someone with the same issue. I don't get pcm anywhere on the screen. Just 5.1. This happens with both my XA2 and ps3.

Also would like to ask Bob, how do I tell my XA2 to stop upping the 48khz to 96? I don't see anything in the XA2 setup to change this behaviour.

John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
jayray is offline  
post #9010 of 43014 Old 09-13-2007, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

When I watch a DTS or 96/24 DVD on my 3910 I see the DTS or 96/24 on the Anthem Display, but when I play the same on the Xa2, all I see if a 5.1 on the Anthem display, why?


Thanks

The XA2 is decoding the audio.... you need to set the "Digital Output HDMI" on the XA2 to Auto if you want the bitstream sent down HDMI.
FilmMixer is offline  
post #9011 of 43014 Old 09-13-2007, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Also would like to ask Bob, how do I tell my XA2 to stop upping the 48khz to 96? I don't see anything in the XA2 setup to change this behaviour.

John

To change the HDMI PCM sample rate out of the XA2, toggles the Digital Output SPDIF between Bitstream and PCM.

When the player is decoding into PCM, 5.1 is the correct display for the Anthem.
FilmMixer is offline  
post #9012 of 43014 Old 09-13-2007, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jayray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mississauga, Canada
Posts: 4,708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Filmmixer,

I haven't been on the Anthem for very long but I would like to add my thanks to you for your help and patience. I too think that this is one of the best if not best, threads on AVS. I can't recall a snarky response from anyone on this thread and it makes it easier to ask a question in the face of so many expert owners. Hopefully you will continue to frequent the forum.

thanks,
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
jayray is offline  
post #9013 of 43014 Old 09-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
rx-8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mermaid, PE, Canada
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Filmmixer,

I haven't been on the Anthem for very long but I would like to add my thanks to you for your help and patience. I too think that this is one of the best if not best, threads on AVS. I can't recall a snarky response from anyone on this thread and it makes it easier to ask a question in the face of so many expert owners. Hopefully you will continue to frequent the forum.

thanks,
John

+1

I am a lurker...I've been on the forum for a few years now but my post count is not very high. We are presently living in a condo so my HT are still ahead of me...hopefully that will happen next year. I've already planned most of the equipment that I'll need and the D2 is at the top of the list. Hope to be posting my own personal comments then.

As for the quote above...this is the BEST thread without any doubt...you guys are GREAT !!!

Cheers,
Bill
rx-8 is offline  
post #9014 of 43014 Old 09-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Member
 
TREVLAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I've been in need of a new Reciver/AMP and currently having a hard time looking for one
Currently have a STRDA5ES from SONY.
I was looking at the DENON 4308 but I'm not sold on it.

So I was talking to my local dealer about the ANTHEM AVM50. is this the same as the "D2"??
Sorry I'm very much new to this.

I have STUDIO20';s for the front STUDIO CC-590 center and ADP390 for the surrounds and PS1200 sub.

How does this compare to the DENON4308 or even my current Sony 5ES?

the dealer said I should add the PVA5 to match up with the AVM50 is this the best match up?

I should note I watch 90% movies [blu-ray and dvd] DVD-Audio and SACD
have a PS3 for the bluray player a denon 2910 for the SACD and DVD-A and an HDcable box.
Tv set is SXRD XBR260' if this all even matters.

Sorry for such a long post but i'm at a lost and want to know if this would be my best bet I've never heard THX besides theaters so don't know how it is in a HT room. I will stop for now.

i am looking for the best bang for my buck without going broke and really want it to be worth it.
my wife and I really enjoy watching movies at home.



Thx for reading my sloppy typing.
TREVLAN is offline  
post #9015 of 43014 Old 09-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Member
 
jluloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The video solution, and the degree of audio/video integration is identical in the AVM-50 and the Statement D2.

The D2 has a better power supply, a more "exotic" audio solution, spare DSP processing power that is expected to be utilized in a Room EQ solution "real soon now", and a bare handful of feature differences over the AVM-50

Information above thanks to Bob!!

I have the AVM50, MCA-50, MCA-20 and Studio 100's and the Sony "Pearl" and I love this setup. On the other hand I would have loved to have a D2, A5 and A2 instead but money was limited to get everything i wanted in my home theater...and I need something to dream about

There are a number of great individuals who post in this thread that could add more then I but I don't think you can go wrong with either choice...you will be happy!!
jluloff is offline  
post #9016 of 43014 Old 09-13-2007, 06:56 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
nine ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Oakville Ontario
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREVLAN View Post

Hi everyone,

I've been in need of a new Reciver/AMP and currently having a hard time looking for one
Currently have a STRDA5ES from SONY.
I was looking at the DENON 4308 but I'm not sold on it.

So I was talking to my local dealer about the ANTHEM AVM50. is this the same as the "D2"??
Sorry I'm very much new to this.

I have STUDIO20';s for the front STUDIO CC-590 center and ADP390 for the surrounds and PS1200 sub.

How does this compare to the DENON4308 or even my current Sony 5ES?

the dealer said I should add the PVA5 to match up with the AVM50 is this the best match up?

I should note I watch 90% movies [blu-ray and dvd] DVD-Audio and SACD
have a PS3 for the bluray player a denon 2910 for the SACD and DVD-A and an HDcable box.
Tv set is SXRD XBR260' if this all even matters.

Sorry for such a long post but i'm at a lost and want to know if this would be my best bet I've never heard THX besides theaters so don't know how it is in a HT room. I will stop for now.

i am looking for the best bang for my buck without going broke and really want it to be worth it.
my wife and I really enjoy watching movies at home.



Thx for reading my sloppy typing.

This question has been asked in various forms around 758 times in this thread and the overwhelming consensus is that either the AVM50 or D2 bests any of the brands you are considering and they are all excellent products.

This is the wrong environment to seek a destination as those of us who have come to the Anthem technology would be the first ones to insist that the discussion and selections are a part of a processs and not an ultimate static choice. We have ALL spent too much.....obsessed too much and agonized too much to have anything rational to offer other than an expression of hope that we have inched one step closer to the Home Theater Holy Grail with the purchase of the AVM 50 or the D2.

This obtuse answer is in liew of the profoundly logical and correct observations offered in the response above.

Peter

ps.....take the time if you are serious and read the thread.....it will either kill you or strengthen your budding resolve.
nine ball is offline  
post #9017 of 43014 Old 09-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Member
 
TREVLAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok I'll go back and read the thread a little more.

but why this set up?
AVM50, MCA-50, MCA-20
or
D2, A5 and A2

do you need all 3 or is this for 7.1 systems.
I'm only doing 5.1 and don't plan on upgrading for a while.

Also could I just buy the D2 or AVM50 and use my DA5ES to run it??
with plans on getting the A5 at a later time.
Or is this not recommended.

Thanks again
TREVLAN is offline  
post #9018 of 43014 Old 09-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Member
 
rmarcoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bloomington, Illinois USA
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdc View Post

Yes, and a substantial percentage of those has been you helping others out and disseminating valuable information in a very concise and accurate way.

Thanks a bunch from the club!

+ 1
rmarcoot is offline  
post #9019 of 43014 Old 09-13-2007, 07:34 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
rudolpht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Boxborough, MA, USA
Posts: 7,566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREVLAN View Post


I should note I watch 90% movies [blu-ray and dvd] DVD-Audio and SACD
have a PS3 for the bluray player a denon 2910 for the SACD and DVD-A and an HDcable box.
Tv set is SXRD XBR260' if this all even matters.

Sorry for such a long post but i'm at a lost and want to know if this would be my best bet I've never heard THX besides theaters so don't know how it is in a HT room. I will stop for now.

i am looking for the best bang for my buck without going broke and really want it to be worth it.
my wife and I really enjoy watching movies at home.



Thx for reading my sloppy typing.

Trevlan,

Think long and hard. The AVM-50 is serious money & the D2 is an extra 2K on top of that. If you like to tinker and appreciate the ability to go through progressions of firmware improvement (I do) then the Anthem provides serious flexibility. I have become disappointed in the current stall in software with some noticeable shortcomings, but I have confidence they will be fixed.

There are folks currently "downgrading from the Anthem to the Integra 9.8 which I'm interested in seeing the comparison.

The high end video was state of the art, but like much technology becomes commoditized and actually surpassed at much cheaper costs. But like waiting to buy a computer while waiting for the inevitable cheaper and faster one, you miss out on the joy of a solution in the interim.

I will probably be pilloried but the Anthem is stalled and there are newer generations of better and cheaper hardware coming out. The D3 will set a new technology standard on the curve when it comes out, but the current generation is ebbing as new products from other vendors come out with more of everything built in.

That said I love my Anthem, and I'm glad I did not add the 2K on top to get the D2, as the cost proposition is just not there (for me), despite extreme disappointment on the eq- solution not being available for the folks paying 4K plus the cost of Amps. I'm an Anthem fan, and even though I can easily afford the D2 upgrade, I'm not an Anthem fanboy or zealot. There are deficiencies, stability issues, and high cost, balanced with great service (until lately) and a well integrated solution which unfortunately doesn't have the capacity to support all my devices without external switchers and a variety of compatibility problems. So, especially because of the high cost, it will have to be pried out of my cold dead hands. OR being a realist, until a better solution comes around (look at the CEDIA news) for everyones subjective and configuration specific needs. Every home theater is a balance and just think hard what gives YOU the most enjoyment (typically the projector in most theaters) and build out from there.

Fan but not Fanboy,
Tim

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
rudolpht is offline  
post #9020 of 43014 Old 09-13-2007, 08:36 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Trevlan,
Just to make sure you don't draw the wrong impression from Tim's otherwise excellent post, the "D3" he refers to is, at this point, just a gleam in our eye -- the eventual new product platform that Anthem must, at some point, introduce.

But we have pretty active rumor mongers on this thread and so far there is not even the hint of a rumor that any such product is likely to come out soon.

------------------------------------------

As with all home theater products, the decision to buy at any point in time is fraught with difficulty. Where is this product in its
life cycle? What is the competition? Who do I trust to support their product better? What are the key factors in surrounding technology that will drive whether this given product satisfies me long enough to be a worthwhile purchase -- or will frustrate me because this product missed the mark in support for some feature or another?

And all of that has to be analyzed according to YOUR buying personality. Are you an "early adopter"? Or do you prefer "tried and true"?

-----------------------------------------

The earlier posts have stated the differences between the D2 and the AVM-50. Anthem also has a feature comparison chart in the AVM section of their web site. I'll just add that the long awaited Room EQ solution from Anthem (now apparently slated for around January) looks like it will only be available on the D2.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #9021 of 43014 Old 09-13-2007, 08:41 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREVLAN View Post

Ok I'll go back and read the thread a little more.

but why this set up?
AVM50, MCA-50, MCA-20
or
D2, A5 and A2

do you need all 3 or is this for 7.1 systems.
I'm only doing 5.1 and don't plan on upgrading for a while.

Also could I just buy the D2 or AVM50 and use my DA5ES to run it??
with plans on getting the A5 at a later time.
Or is this not recommended.

Thanks again

The MCA-50 and the A5 are 5-channel power amps. The MCA-20 and A2 are 2-channel power amps. Your subwoofer will undoubtedly contain its own power amp.

So for a 5.1 speaker setup you don't need either the MCA-20 or the A2.

The same is true for Anthem's more expensive P5 and P2 power amps.

--------------------------------------

The AVM-50 or D2 are "pre-amp/processors". For audio, they put out line level outputs that will drive ANY multi-channel home theater power amp or combination of power amps. Whether you buy new power amps when you buy the AVM-50 or D2 is up to you.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #9022 of 43014 Old 09-13-2007, 09:59 PM
gdc
Senior Member
 
gdc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREVLAN View Post

Ok I'll go back and read the thread a little more.

but why this set up?
AVM50, MCA-50, MCA-20
or
D2, A5 and A2

do you need all 3 or is this for 7.1 systems.
I'm only doing 5.1 and don't plan on upgrading for a while.

Also could I just buy the D2 or AVM50 and use my DA5ES to run it??
with plans on getting the A5 at a later time.
Or is this not recommended.

Thanks again

No, you don't need all three for a 5.1 system if your sub is powered.

I'm actually using a Rotel 7 channel ICE-power amp. I'm sure the Anthem amplifiers are great, but they would be overkill for my room.

Does the DA5ES allow you to go direct in and use just the amps? If they are decent amps that might work fine for now.

Ultimately you will probably want a dedicated multichannel amp (or even pairs of monoblocks) that matches the quality level of the AVM/D2. I'm not familiar with the speakers, but the idea is to have all the components be playing in the same league.

AVM50 vs. D2 - as Tim said, it's a lot of coin. When I purchased, it was the D2 or nothing, as the AVM50 wasn't around. Now the choice is - do you NEED the room eq feature that is upcoming? If so, you will have to pay the extra. If not, you still have one of the top video and audio prepros around.

I love to watch movies as well, a LOT - but I am also a former professsional musician/recording engineer, so I also have to have the best audio I can get. Knowing I am going to spend close to two grand on room treatments, I myself would pay the extra and buy the D2 again in a heartbeat.

But you may find that the extra 2 grand could get you most of the way to a front projector - which is the one thing I would recommend for you if you love movies. You just can't believe how nice a good 1080p PJ and the AVM/D2 make your movie viewing experience! (My wife and were averaging 4 movies a week all this summer...)

- Gordon

We don"t see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin
gdc is offline  
post #9023 of 43014 Old 09-14-2007, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
obie_fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: SpaceCoast, FL
Posts: 1,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
This talk of a D3 got me to thinking. Does anyone think we may see a D2 upgrade or refresh (call it Series II) before a totally new platform is introduced? I wouldn't mind seeing an update to add HDMI 1.3 and possibly an updated Gennum video processor. I realize that high speed bitstream and decoding of the newer codecs isn't really required today but sooner or later Anthem will move to this pardigm. I'm just curious if it has to wait for a total platform redesign, i.e. the mythical "D3".
obie_fl is offline  
post #9024 of 43014 Old 09-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

This talk of a D3 got me to thinking. Does anyone think we may see a D2 upgrade or refresh (call it Series II) before a totally new platform is introduced? I wouldn't mind seeing an update to add HDMI 1.3 and possibly an updated Gennum video processor. I realize that high speed bitstream and decoding of the newer codecs isn't really required today but sooner or later Anthem will move to this pardigm. I'm just curious if it has to wait for a total platform redesign, i.e. the mythical "D3".

The audio processing board and the video processing board are both modular.

Anything that requires connector changes (i.e., more HDMI ins and outs) is a problem.

The power supply is probably good. The analog output design is good -- although they'd probably add a few more channels.

So when and if they do a platform revamp, providing an upgrade should not be impossible. However you ARE talking about replacing pretty much all the smarts and signal paths so I would imagine an upgrade would be quite expensive.

I guess my point is that if and when they decide to go HDMI V1.3 and/or 7.1 channel it would probably make more sense to offer it as a new product rather than just an incremental improvement to the D2 / AVM-50 stuff.

Which is another reason to think it is probably quite a ways off.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #9025 of 43014 Old 09-14-2007, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Milt99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: West Of California
Posts: 5,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 69
My view?
D2 w\\ Room EQ, has seen all that can be done to it.
D3? 2010 maybe.

I would also like to give kudos to all who provide advice on this thread.
I think it's a testament to the gear and the owners.

 

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Milt99 is offline  
post #9026 of 43014 Old 09-14-2007, 01:30 PM
Member
 
im the man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, Im new to the D2 family. I bought my D2 less than 2 weeks ago. My dealers installer came over and hooked it up, it was working fine. Over the last couple of days though I have been having problems with the D2. It is having problems locking onto a signal when I turn it onto my cable box or xbox 360. When the problem first started the screen would flicker I would get the blue screen but eventually it would lock on and I would get a picture. Now it's become progressively worse and all I have is just a blue screen or I'll see the picture for a split second and then it will be gone and go back to the blue screen. There is sound but no picture. Both the cable box and 360 are running through component video. I aslo have a PS3 and my DVD player running through it, which are running HDMI. I do not have any of these issues with these components.

Could somebody please help with this issue. I would greatly appreciate it, thanks!
im the man is offline  
post #9027 of 43014 Old 09-14-2007, 01:58 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by im the man View Post

Hello, Im new to the D2 family. I bought my D2 less than 2 weeks ago. My dealers installer came over and hooked it up, it was working fine. Over the last couple of days though I have been having problems with the D2. It is having problems locking onto a signal when I turn it onto my cable box or xbox 360. When the problem first started the screen would flicker I would get the blue screen but eventually it would lock on and I would get a picture. Now it's become progressively worse and all I have is just a blue screen or I'll see the picture for a split second and then it will be gone and go back to the blue screen. There is sound but no picture. Both the cable box and 360 are running through component video. I aslo have a PS3 and my DVD player running through it, which are running HDMI. I do not have any of these issues with these components.

Could somebody please help with this issue. I would greatly appreciate it, thanks!

Since yours is a new D2, the odds are you have the latest software, but it is best to start with that.

Press Select once on the D2 remote and the software version number will come up at the end of the first line of status text on the front panel display -- and also on your TV if you have the On Screen Display turned on. It will likely be something like V1.2. Let us know precisely what it says.

Since you are running other sources which are HDMI, I presume you are running HDMI to your TV when you are having these input problems from your Component sources. If that is not correct please tell us.

View one of the Component sources that is giving you the blue screen. Press Select on the remote repeatedly (to bring up the various status messages) and tell us what it is showing for video input signal (if anything) and any other info that appears odd to you.

With that same Component source selected, press and hold "7" on the remote until the Video Source Adjust menu comes up. Scroll right to the info panel. Please report what it is showing for both video input and video output.

Now scroll left to the Output panel, scroll down to the Frame Lock item and confirm that Frame Lock = OFF is set. If by any chance it was set to Auto, see if setting it to OFF fixes your problem.

Since you are seeing this on two different Component sources and not on two other, different HDMI sources, I think it unlikely that you have a cable problem or a scaler problem but you might have a problem in the circuit that syncs to, and digitizes, the analog Component video input signal. Let's see if the problem is input resolution dependent.

Take either Component video source and set its output to the D2 to 480i. Do you get a good picture? Now try 480p. Do you get a good picture?

If you get a good picture at 480i or 480p, go back into Video Source Adjust / Info and confirm that the video input resolution is reporting 720x480i or 720x480p respectively. Then try setting the Component video source's output to 720 and then to 1080i. Do you lose the picture? Does any message come up that mentions "Macrovision"? Macrovision is a copy protection scheme for Component video.

Let's leave it at that to start. I'm afraid, the most likely answer here is that you have a hardware fault in the Component input portion of your D2. If nothing obvious suggests itself in what you report back, your best bet is to talk to your dealer about arranging a swap out of your new D2 for a replacement D2 (i.e., where you hold on to your current D2 until the replacement arrives). That way you won't be completely without a D2 in the interim.

While awaiting the swap unit, you may be able to use your Component sources via either processed Component output, or unprocessed "pass through" of the Component video on the Zone 2 outputs. Either of those would involve running Component output cables from the D2 to your TV in addition to the HDMI cable.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #9028 of 43014 Old 09-14-2007, 02:43 PM
Member
 
im the man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Since yours is a new D2, the odds are you have the latest software, but it is best to start with that.

Press Select once on the D2 remote and the software version number will come up at the end of the first line of status text on the front panel display -- and also on your TV if you have the On Screen Display turned on. It will likely be something like V1.2. Let us know precisely what it says.

Since you are running other sources which are HDMI, I presume you are running HDMI to your TV when you are having these input problems from your Component sources. If that is not correct please tell us.

View one of the Component sources that is giving you the blue screen. Press Select on the remote repeatedly (to bring up the various status messages) and tell us what it is showing for video input signal (if anything) and any other info that appears odd to you.

With that same Component source selected, press and hold "7" on the remote until the Video Source Adjust menu comes up. Scroll right to the info panel. Please report what it is showing for both video input and video output.

Now scroll left to the Output panel, scroll down to the Frame Lock item and confirm that Frame Lock = OFF is set. If by any chance it was set to Auto, see if setting it to OFF fixes your problem.

Since you are seeing this on two different Component sources and not on two other, different HDMI sources, I think it unlikely that you have a cable problem or a scaler problem but you might have a problem in the circuit that syncs to, and digitizes, the analog Component video input signal. Let's see if the problem is input resolution dependent.

Take either Component video source and set its output to the D2 to 480i. Do you get a good picture? Now try 480p. Do you get a good picture?

If you get a good picture at 480i or 480p, go back into Video Source Adjust / Info and confirm that the video input resolution is reporting 720x480i or 720x480p respectively. Then try setting the Component video source's output to 720 and then to 1080i. Do you lose the picture? Does any message come up that mentions "Macrovision"? Macrovision is a copy protection scheme for Component video.

Let's leave it at that to start. I'm afraid, the most likely answer here is that you have a hardware fault in the Component input portion of your D2. If nothing obvious suggests itself in what you report back, your best bet is to talk to your dealer about arranging a swap out of your new D2 for a replacement D2 (i.e., where you hold on to your current D2 until the replacement arrives). That way you won't be completely without a D2 in the interim.

While awaiting the swap unit, you may be able to use your Component sources via either processed Component output, or unprocessed "pass through" of the Component video on the Zone 2 outputs. Either of those would involve running Component output cables from the D2 to your TV in addition to the HDMI cable.
--Bob

Yes I have the v 1.2, yes I am running HDMI to my TV. Video input signal 720x480i is the signal. Video input 4:44 component Video output, 1080Px1920. Frame lock is off. While doing your recommendations I tried to bring up the setup menu, it won't let me access it looks scrambled. When I did this I lost my picture again. I hit the select button again and it said the video input had no signal. How do I access the 480i and 480p to change my resolution?
im the man is offline  
post #9029 of 43014 Old 09-14-2007, 03:01 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by im the man View Post

Yes I have the v 1.2, yes I am running HDMI to my TV. Video input signal 720x480i is the signal. Video input 4:44 component Video output, 1080Px1920. Frame lock is off. While doing your recommendations I tried to bring up the setup menu, it won't let me access it looks scrambled. When I did this I lost my picture again. I hit the select button again and it said the video input had no signal. How do I access the 480i and 480p to change my resolution?

Let me see if I understand you.

You were getting a GOOD Component video input picture when the D2 said it was receiving 720x480i? And then when you attempted to go into the D2's own Setup menu you lost the picture?

Or when you went into the setup menu of your Component source device you lost the picture?

-----------------------------------------------

I'm assuming the HDMI output side of your D2 setup is solid. That is, bringing up the D2's own Setup menu, or the Video Source Adjust menu (including its test Patterns) works just fine when you select an input that has no video source device connected, as does regular video programming from your HDMI source devices. If any of that is not true, then we need to check the output side of your D2 setup further.

-----------------------------------------------

If what you meant was that you lost the picture while trying to bring up the setup menu of your Component source device then that's more of the same problem we were tackling with the previous set of suggestions.

I don't know what you have available in your Component cable box or Xbox to set its video output without a working TV image. The Motorola cable boxes have a front panel display that you can use for this for example. Barring that, you may have to attach them via Component cables directly to your TV to check their settings.

Another thing to try: Turn off the D2 with the remote. Then power off the D2 using the power switch on it's back panel. Then turn the D2 back on again (back panel, and then remote). It is barely possible that this may clear whatever problem it is having on the Component input.

Also, consider whether your D2 might not be getting enough ventilation. This is UNLIKELY to be the problem since your HDMI sources are working fine, but if you have any reason to be concerned that the ventilation might not be adequate, see if using an external fan or some such helps.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #9030 of 43014 Old 09-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Member
 
im the man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Let me see if I understand you.

You were getting a GOOD Component video input picture when the D2 said it was receiving 720x480i? And then when you attempted to go into the D2's own Setup menu you lost the picture?

Or when you went into the setup menu of your Component source device you lost the picture?

-----------------------------------------------

I'm assuming the HDMI output side of your D2 setup is solid. That is, bringing up the D2's own Setup menu, or the Video Source Adjust menu (including its test Patterns) works just fine when you select an input that has no video source device connected, as does regular video programming from your HDMI source devices. If any of that is not true, then we need to check the output side of your D2 setup further.

-----------------------------------------------

If what you meant was that you lost the picture while trying to bring up the setup menu of your Component source device then that's more of the same problem we were tackling with the previous set of suggestions.

I don't know what you have available in your Component cable box or Xbox to set its video output without a working TV image. The Motorola cable boxes have a front panel display that you can use for this for example. Barring that, you may have to attach them via Component cables directly to your TV to check their settings.

Another thing to try: Turn off the D2 with the remote. Then power off the D2 using the power switch on it's back panel. Then turn the D2 back on again (back panel, and then remote). It is barely possible that this may clear whatever problem it is having on the Component input.

Also, consider whether your D2 might not be getting enough ventilation. This is UNLIKELY to be the problem since your HDMI sources are working fine, but if you have any reason to be concerned that the ventilation might not be adequate, see if using an external fan or some such helps.
--Bob

Yes I was getting a good picture when it said 720x480i. Tried resetting the unit no luck. I have plenty of venilation so I don't think that's the problem. Thanks for your suggestions. Im having the installer come back on Monday and take a look at it then. I'll keep you posted. One other thing, how do select what your picture is going to be 480i 480p etc. How do I pull that up. Do I have to change it back and fourth everytime I switch from TV to blue ray for instance?
im the man is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off