Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 304 - AVS Forum
First ... 302  303  304 305  306  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide
Tim Winders's Avatar Tim Winders 09:39 PM 09-17-2007
OK! Do you ever get tired of hearing "Thanks, Bob!" ?

You're right. I did not *NOT* understand that 5.1 HDMI PCM == 5.1 Analog when the player has the decoder and can send the PCM signal.

So, it is not a problem to have separate dedicated BD and HD-DVD players, each connected only via HDMI to the D2, each set to send decoded PCM over HDMI to the D2 and get full audio resolution of whatever audio formats the player can decode.

The D2 cannot handle lossless bitstream formats and if we ever see 7.1 discs, we'll be limited to the 5.1 soundtracks, but, we can enjoy full decoded lossless formats now. (As you've been saying for"ever").

OK. I think I get it. Now I have to start over in my qwest in looking at BD/HD-DVD players. Of course, the Samsung combo is still not out of the question. The specs look good. But, it's a Samsung. Just doesn't quite feel right connecting a Samsung to the D2.

I've got my Pioneer Elite DV-79av I'll be using, connected via HDMI outputting 480i to the D2 until I make the plunge to BD/HD. I'll probably keep the Pio player for standard DVDs even after I get BD/HD player.

So much to learn. So little time. I have to learn it all now so I can enjoy my D2 when it gets here.

Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 09:45 PM 09-17-2007
By George he's got it!

(grin!)

Do cast a sharp eye over the specs of the new Samsung player as they come out. I believe it may be one of the ones that only does "fake" DTS-HD MA decoding.

Also be aware that what few 7.1 tracks there are are being mixed in full knowledge that they are being sold into a world that is, in many cases, using only 5.1 speaker setups.

I'm still awaiting some good analysis of how 5.1 input raised to 7.1 speaker output by a quality audio processor such as the Anthem compares to 7.1 input passed through to 7.1 speakers. With the exception of the VERY aggressive surround tracks found in games, I suspect there will not be much real world difference. But this is largely an unknown right now.
--Bob
Tim Winders's Avatar Tim Winders 09:51 PM 09-17-2007
I expect you are right with the 5.1 raised to a 7.1 system vs. 7.1 discrete inputs. I've had my 7.1 system for ages. Couldn't image "only" having 5.1 again. Of course, it's not discrete, but, it doesn't matter. It sounds amazing. Can only imaging how much better it will be with the D2.

Yes, I will watch carefully what comes out about the Samsung. It might be "the one", but there are too many unknowns, and with DTS-HD MA "in the future", it's going to be hard to nail them down on how it's going to be implemented and then hold them to it.

But, now with a full understanding of HDMI PCM, I'm no longer limited to a combo player. So, I'm back to trolling the dedicated BD and HD forums to see what's out there now and what on the horizon. Seems in the BD camp, the PS3 gets high praise. DTS-HD MA is not there now, but many people keep hoping. Now I'm looking for what audio formats it does support and can send out decoded PCM over HDMI. This is so much fun!
Tim Winders's Avatar Tim Winders 10:21 PM 09-17-2007
2 questions -

1. What specs should I be looking at/for in re: decoding of audio formats to determine if it's done "correctly" in the player, or if it's "fake"?

2. The D2 only has a single HDMI output. Is there anyway to connect a 2nd HDMI display. Discussing with the wife, she'd like to be able to connect both our projector (HC 1080) and Plasma (HP 42") to all the equipment. I've read through the D2 manuals (online) and see that the Zone2 component output could be used. I can output 1080p60 to the display, but, any HDCP/HDMI inputs would be forced to 480p output to the Zone2 component. Honestly, for *that* display and what it will be used for, it might not matter. Just thinking if there was a different way. Also need to consider audio for that display. As it's in a different room, don't know what we'll do. Perhaps an inexpensive receiver, maybe just use the internal display speakers at first. The idea is to be able to connect to all the source components and not have to "duplicate" much of it.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 10:42 PM 09-17-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Winders View Post

2 questions -

1. What specs should I be looking at/for in re: decoding of audio formats to determine if it's done "correctly" in the player, or if it's "fake"?

2. The D2 only has a single HDMI output. Is there anyway to connect a 2nd HDMI display. Discussing with the wife, she'd like to be able to connect both our projector (HC 1080) and Plasma (HP 42") to all the equipment. I've read through the D2 manuals (online) and see that the Zone2 component output could be used. I can output 1080p60 to the display, but, any HDCP/HDMI inputs would be forced to 480p output to the Zone2 component. Honestly, for *that* display and what it will be used for, it might not matter. Just thinking if there was a different way. Also need to consider audio for that display. As it's in a different room, don't know what we'll do. Perhaps an inexpensive receiver, maybe just use the internal display speakers at first. The idea is to be able to connect to all the source components and not have to "duplicate" much of it.

1) I don't think you need worry about TrueHD. I think everyone is doing that OK. For DTS-HD MA it is not yet clear how the manufacturers will disclose what they are doing. Look for fine print that says DTS-HD MA decoding is "core". That would be bad.

2) If an HDMI input source is copy protected -- which means just about everything -- the processed Component outputs of the Anthem will be turned off. I.e., it won't come out at all, rather than coming out at 480p. So if you are using Zone 2 Component outputs it is wise to have Component cables connected from your sources as well. Then you can do unprocessed pass-through of Component in to Zone 2 out as a fall back.

We've had a few posters here who have had luck using an HDMI 1 input 2 output adapter between the D2 and 2 TVs. But I forget the details as to which such products seem to work.
--Bob
Tim Winders's Avatar Tim Winders 10:47 PM 09-17-2007
1. OK. Since DTS-HD MA is a big mystery, I don't have to worry about that immediately, but will look for exactly how it's handled in the future. Very helpful.

2. Some type of HDMI "splitter" may work. Kinda scarry at 1080p. Well, nothing is in stone yet, just flushing out some possible ideas. Having the fallback to component sounds like a good plan if we do go that way.
|M|B.M.F.'s Avatar |M|B.M.F. 02:46 PM 09-18-2007
I think we would all agree that the OPPO is a great match to the D2 - 480I through HDMI - in terms of value... a good source taking advantage of all of the D2 processing.

Do we have such a perfect match between the D2 and say a 50 inch flat panel display? Which Plasma or LCD would bethe perfect partner with the D2 in terms of value? The display that has everything it needs and takes advantage of the DSP power of the D2 to display the best picture posssible without waisting the processing power ($$) of the display.

Panasonic?
Sony?
Pioneer?
Samsung
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 03:03 PM 09-18-2007
I've been keeping an eye on Pioneer's new 1080p 50" plasma models, but I haven't done any detailed study yet. They are now out in both "normal" and "Elite" flavor. I believe they MAY do both 1080p/60 and 1080p/24 input well, and they are reputed to have largely fixed, if not completely solved, Pioneer's problem with producing a decently black "Black".

However, if you are in no rush to purchase, you may want to wait to see if quality displays capable of /120Hz refresh rate hit the market next year as expected. The idea is that a well engineered display of that type will be able to take both film and video rate content and display both of them without having to change refresh rate since 120 is an even multiple of both 24 and 30.

-------------------------------------

Note that even that style of TV would have difficulty with video content overlayed (PIP style) on film content *UNLESS* the player raises both to /120Hz internally prior to mixing them and outputs it that way after the mix (i.e., as /120Hz video). And that won't work through the Anthem. /120Hz video stream support is an optional feature of HDMI V1.3 or higher which means the D2 and AVM-50 can't play. Note that this is different from sending /24 or /60 to a display which then raises either of them INTERNALLY to a /120 refresh rate. And also note that there is only an issue if the two types of content are supposed to be mixed into the same picture.

The Anthem would receive such mixed stuff likely as either /24 or /60 which means one of the two picture elements would still have some judder while the other would be judder free.
--Bob
BillW's Avatar BillW 03:16 PM 09-18-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by |M|B.M.F. View Post

I think we would all agree that the OPPO is a great match to the D2 - 480I through HDMI - in terms of value... a good source taking advantage of all of the D2 processing.

Do we have such a perfect match between the D2 and say a 50 inch flat panel display? Which Plasma or LCD would bethe perfect partner with the D2 in terms of value? The display that has everything it needs and takes advantage of the DSP power of the D2 to display the best picture posssible without waisting the processing power ($$) of the display.

Panasonic?
Sony?
Pioneer?
Samsung

I would have to vote for the 720p 10UK Panasonics is the best value. You are not paying for a great scaler in the Panny and then not using it, and you get the great blacks. I think most people sit far enough away from their 50 inch - I sit about 11 feet away, that they can't see the improvement 1080p gives you.
|M|B.M.F.'s Avatar |M|B.M.F. 03:26 PM 09-18-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

I've been keeping an eye on Pioneer's new 1080p 50" plasma models, but I haven't done any detailed study yet. They are now out in both "normal" and "Elite" flavor. I believe they MAY do both 1080p/60 and 1080p/24 input well, and they are reputed to have largely fixed, if not completely solved, Pioneer's problem with producing a decently black "Black".

However, if you are in no rush to purchase, you may want to wait to see if quality displays capable of /120Hz refresh rate hit the market next year as expected. The idea is that a well engineered display of that type will be able to take both film and video rate content and display both of them without having to change refresh rate since 120 is an even multiple of both 24 and 30.

-------------------------------------

Note that even that style of TV would have difficulty with video content ovelayed (PIP style) on film content *UNLESS* the player raises both to /120Hz internally prior to mixing them and outputs it that way after the mix (i.e., as /120Hz video). And that won't work through the Anthem. /120Hz video stream support is an optional feature of HDMI V1.3 or higher which means the D2 and AVM-50 can't play. Note that this is different from sending /24 or /60 to a display which then raises either of them INTERNALLY to a /120 refresh rate. And also note that there is only an issue if the two types of content are supposed to be mixed into the same picture.

The Anthem would receive such mixed stuff likely as either /24 or /60 which means one of the two picture elements would still have some judder while the other would be judder free.
--Bob

I have also been "watching" the pioneer models and have been wondering if I need the "elite" version when matched up with the D2? Perhaps the D2 paired with pioneer's standard kuru will look just as good as with the elite version?

Samsung and sony currently have 120hz displays out do they not. I think sony's is their xbr4 and xbr5? If so, is that the way to go?

If I understand correctly, the D2 will still need to output the signal at 24 or 60and then sony or samsung would then convert the signal to /120 correct? The D2 is not capable of outputting /120 right now right?

Anyway, I guess the important informaiton is what is the most important technology to look for in a diplay when the DSP is being done primarily by the D2. Black level, contrast ration, latest generation of glass, refresh rates, 1080p etc.

Without thinking about it too much it might seem that in the case of the pioneer you might be paying an extra $2000 for the elite for the extra processing power which would be a waist (not utilized) when paired with the D2... so you might as well just get the "standard" version... or not?

-b
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 03:35 PM 09-18-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW View Post

I would have to vote for the 720p 10UK Panasonics is the best value. You are not paying for a great scaler in the Panny and then not using it, and you get the great blacks. I think most people sit far enough away from their 50 inch - I sit about 11 feet away, that they can't see the improvement 1080p gives you.

The thing that I think people overlook in this is that "fewer" processing steps are almost always better.

If all interesting content is going to 1080p, then a native 1080p display is an advantage simply because there's at least one scaling step that doesn't have to happen. The assumption is that scaling artifacts might be more noticeable at normal watching distance than fine detail resolveable at 1080p but not at 720p.

Now 1080p displays are still premium priced at the moment. But I fully expect their prices to plummet after Christmas. And I do mean plummet.

------------------------------------------------

The issue of paying for a scaler in your TV is an important one of course. But keep in mind that there's a fair bit of sophisticated processing the TV *ALWAYS* has to do. For example, the phosphors in a plasma don't blaze up and fade away at the same rate for the three colors. So the TV has to adjust timing a bit. And the TV has the most important part of the job of making sure that it faithfully reproduces the input signal -- things like basic level setting and Gamma Correction. The smarts to do that may be more of the cost than the de-interlacing or scaling solution found in the TV. And cutting corners in that stuff will damage the image in ways the Anthem can't fix.

I'd be more worried about paying for things like an SD or HD TV tuner, or an audio solution inside the TV. I.e., your best bet is to get a "monitor" design that just handles the video fed from the Anthem, rather than a conventional "TV" design.
--Bob
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 03:41 PM 09-18-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by |M|B.M.F. View Post

I have also been "watching" the pioneer models and have been wondering if I need the "elite" version when matched up with the D2? Perhaps the D2 paired with pioneer's standard kuru will look just as good as with the elite version?

Samsung and sony currently have 120hz displays out do they not. I think sony's is their xbr4 and xbr5? If so, is that the way to go?

If I understand correctly, the D2 will still need to output the signal at 24 or 60and then sony or samsung would then convert the signal to /120 correct? The D2 is not capable of outputting /120 right now right?

Anyway, I guess the important informaiton is what is the most important technology to look for in a diplay when the DSP is being done primarily by the D2. Black level, contrast ration, latest generation of glass, refresh rates, 1080p etc.

Without thinking about it too much it might seem that in the case of the pioneer you might be paying an extra $2000 for the elite for the extra processing power which would be a waist (not utilized) when paired with the D2... so you might as well just get the "standard" version... or not?

-b

The Elite models offer a more sophisticated set of setup controls that can be used by a trained video calibration tech (an "ISF" tech) to refine the calibration of the TV. Ideally, this is stuff which SHOULD be adjusted inside the TV. The fact that the Anthem offers some additional control can be helpful, but it really shouldn't be the primary way of tackling this style of setup stuff.

Beyond that, I'm not really sure what the Elites give you except for a longer warranty and the joy of paying more money to your favorite dealer.

------------------------------------------

There are /120Hz LCD sets out now, but as far as I've been able to figure out NONE OF THEM are using that yet to tackle film vs. video content reproduction properly. They are using the /120 stuff to fix the bane of LCD -- motion blur.
--Bob
|M|B.M.F.'s Avatar |M|B.M.F. 03:53 PM 09-18-2007
[quote=Bob Pariseau;11660045]The Elite models offer a more sophisticated set of setup controls that can be used by a trained video calibration tech (an "ISF" tech) to refine the calibration of the TV. Ideally, this is stuff which SHOULD be adjusted inside the TV. The fact that the Anthem offers some additional control can be helpful, but it really shouldn't be the primary way of tackling this style of setup stuff.

Beyond that, I'm not really sure what the Elites give you except for a longer warranty and the joy of paying more money to your favorite dealer.

------------------------------------------

There are /120Hz LCD sets out now, but as far as I've been able to figure out NONE OF THEM are using that yet to tackle film vs. video content reproduction properly. They are using the /120 stuff to fix the bane of LCD -- motion blur.
--Bob[/QUOTE

OH YEA...(ISF) I forgot about that one... that is nice.

I wonder if there are any other advantages for the elite vs. the standard offering?

Anyone?
cecaa850's Avatar cecaa850 11:37 AM 09-19-2007
I went for the 60" Elite 1080P plasma. I picked it up yesterday. It was the last piece of my HT makeover (including the D2!) Impressions should come shortly. I did however check out my panel in the store before I bought it. They had it hooked up to a 1080p Blueray player. The picture was absolutely captivating. It was hard to look away. My wife was afraid the 60" would be too big but after she saw the PQ, I never heard another word about the size. I've got to get a couple more cables and it should be up and running. I've got an IFS calibrator scheduled for next month.
cecaa850's Avatar cecaa850 11:42 AM 09-19-2007
Oh, yea, I think the Elites have an extra year of warranty over the non Elite's.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 12:13 PM 09-19-2007
cecca850,
I'll be very interested to learn how well your new Pioneer Elite 1080p 60" works for 24fps film content via the D2.

---------------------------------------------------

And I'm still hopeful that Anthem will have a breakthrough on 480i/60Hz input to 1080p/24Hz output conversion with the next software update.
--Bob
cecaa850's Avatar cecaa850 01:13 PM 09-19-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

cecca850,
I'll be very interested to learn how well your new Pioneer Elite 1080p 60" works for 24fps film content via the D2.

--Bob

Me too!
|M|B.M.F.'s Avatar |M|B.M.F. 03:10 PM 09-19-2007
Ok, so I currently have my D2 hooked up to my PJ through HDMI. I am adding another display to the room that I would also like to hook up to the D2

Ideally I would like to hook up the second display through the D2 via HDMI. Since the D2 only has one HDMI output is my only option (for HDMI) a HDMI splitter? If so, does anyone have a suggestion for a good splitter? Keep in mind that the current HDMI run to the PJ is about 50ft. The run to the second display will be about 6 feet.

I believe from previous posts that my other option would be to run component cable from the D2 to the second display...but the negative is that the image would be down processedsince the incoming source video is coming through HDMI..correct?

Thus the best option component option is to run a component connection from the sources to the d2 (for the second display) and then component to the second display to take advantage of the D2's processing. Do I have this right?

My current sources are cable... HDMI, DVD HDMI, and XBOX -Component.

-b
Tim Winders's Avatar Tim Winders 03:28 PM 09-19-2007
b -

Bob answered this same question for me recently. You can connect your 2nd display via component, but any sources with HDCP will not output to the component. So, you would have to connect component cables from the sources to the D2 as well.

You can try an HDMI splitter. monoprice has some active and passive splitters. I don't know which ones work and which don't. Even the active seems fairly inexpensive at under $100. The specs do say it will pass 1080p. At 50', I would use an active splitter beforehand.
KX250F's Avatar KX250F 08:59 PM 09-19-2007
I'm sure this question has been ask before but here it goes anyway. Does the D2 scale to 1080p/24 if it doesn't is there a way to pass it through so it takes the audio from the HDMI and just passes the video to the projector. I would like to to set my Blu-ray player to 1080p/24 and send the signal over HDMI to the D2 and then have it go to the projector (The projector is 1080p/24 capable).
drhankz's Avatar drhankz 09:01 PM 09-19-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by KX250F View Post

I'm sure this question has been ask before

Only about 100 times - maybe more.
Germ@n's Avatar Germ@n 09:14 PM 09-19-2007
Bob,
I recently had Direct Tv integrate the HR20 into my system. I have tried connecting the HR20 to a Sharp LCD (LC-32D5U) directly via HDMI with no success. I have also tried going to the AVM50 first and then to the TV also unsuccessfully. When connectd directly to the TV I get a pink screen. When connected to the AVM50 and then to the TV I get no picture. Is there any way to fix this? Thanks.
KX250F's Avatar KX250F 09:14 PM 09-19-2007
I knew I should have just PMed Bob.
FilmMixer's Avatar FilmMixer 09:49 PM 09-19-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germ@n View Post

Bob,
I recently had Direct Tv integrate the HR20 into my system. I have tried connecting the HR20 to a Sharp LCD (LC-32D5U) directly via HDMI with no success. I have also tried going to the AVM50 first and then to the TV also unsuccessfully. When connectd directly to the TV I get a pink screen. When connected to the AVM50 and then to the TV I get no picture. Is there any way to fix this? Thanks.

I've had issues with one of my HR20's HDMI outputs going bad.... but try a couple of things first.

Make sure you have the latest software for the HR20... To do this, restart the receiver... (under setup >restart receiver or push the little red button on under the little flap on the front right bottom corner.)

When you see the first blue screen come up (assuming you've hooked up via component or s-video) type 0 2 4 6 8 on the remote... this will force a software download if you aren't up to date..

If this doesn't fix the problem, you may try changing the repeater options in the source setup on the AVM...

If this doesn't fix it... use component and optical for sound until you can get a new box... you will see no difference on these boxes between HDMI and Component.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 10:04 PM 09-19-2007
No time for detailed answers tonight.

GERM@N: The fact that you can't get a direct HDMI connection working from the HR20 to your Sharp is not a good sign. If HDMI from the AVM-50 to the Sharp is working for other stuff the odds are either that your HR20 is faulty or that the HDMI cable from the HR20 is bad.

Make sure HDMI output from the AVM-50 to the Sharp is working using the Anthem's own video tests -- you don't need any source device for this. For example the Setup menu itself and also Video Source Adjust / Patterns for any input that doesn't have a video source attached.

Also, Setup / Source Select / HDMI Repeater = NO should be set in the Anthem input for the HR20.

-------------------------------------------------------------

KX250F: The latest software (V1.12s, AKA V1.2) -- available from Anthem tech support -- has improvements for 1080p/24 stuff.

1080p/24 in to 1080p/24 out will work fine with that. This software lets you define 2 video out setups. Set one for 1080p/24 out to your display. Set the other for 1080p/60. Assign each one to each of your inputs as appropriate. You can use the overlayed input definitions (i.e., DVD1, DVD2, etc.) to set up two definitions for your Blu-Ray player if you want.

However, 480i/60 to 1080p/24 and 1080i/60 to 1080p/24 conversions are still not working correctly. For 480i/60 or 1080i/60 input sources, use 1080p/60 output for now even when viewing film based content.
--Bob
legacyrocks's Avatar legacyrocks 10:10 PM 09-19-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post

I went for the 60" Elite 1080P plasma. I picked it up yesterday. It was the last piece of my HT makeover (including the D2!) Impressions should come shortly. I did however check out my panel in the store before I bought it. They had it hooked up to a 1080p Blueray player. The picture was absolutely captivating. It was hard to look away. My wife was afraid the 60" would be too big but after she saw the PQ, I never heard another word about the size. I've got to get a couple more cables and it should be up and running. I've got an IFS calibrator scheduled for next month.

Very Nice. Looks like you are headed in the same direction as me. I just bought a AVM 50 a couple of months ago and now I just bought the Pioneer Elite 150FD. I just started the break in DVD for the tv and I am only a little over 24 hours in. I think I will use the breakin DVD for the first 300 hours just to be safe for no IR or burn in. What an awesome tv. I cant wait to get it hooked up through my AVM 50. I guess I should follow Bobs set up that is posted on the first few pages on this thread. Bob any suggestions on setting up a AVM 50 using the HDMI switching, scaling to a Pioneer Elite 1080p plasma? Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks!
ILJG's Avatar ILJG 06:09 AM 09-20-2007
I know the XA2 HD DVD player has some issues with 1080p24 from the recent firmware update, but has anyone tried the A30 (or FW updated A20) 1080p24 out to their D2? Is it working properly and has anyone done some A/B tests on noticebly juddery scenes, like the beginning of Sahara for example?
~Ohdee~'s Avatar ~Ohdee~ 08:22 AM 09-20-2007
I’ll keep this as short as possible.

Right now I’m running a HD-PVR Sat, Xbox360, 1080i panny plasma, Panny up-converting DVD player, Merantz receiver (used as a pre-amp) and a Bryston 9bst amp.

I will be making the change to Bluray or HD DVD one of these days.

My question is simple. Is the Anthem AMV50 worth the money? Will I actually be able to see and hear a tangible improvement? I have the opportunity to purchase an AMV50 for 4000.00 (cdn) no tax’s. 4000.00 that’s it! I could also sell my current receiver for 250/300 bucks. It’s 8 months old and was used by the owner of the electronics store I’ve been buying my HT equipment from for years.

But 4000.00 now is steep. It’ll have to go on my VISA and it’ll take a while to pay off. I’ll be paying interest on the purchase for sure.

Would the processor make that big of a difference? Is this too good a deal to pass up? Any and all advice is welcome. This one is stressing me out!
Kris Deering's Avatar Kris Deering 08:27 AM 09-20-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILJG View Post

I know the XA2 HD DVD player has some issues with 1080p24 from the recent firmware update, but has anyone tried the A30 (or FW updated A20) 1080p24 out to their D2? Is it working properly and has anyone done some A/B tests on noticebly juddery scenes, like the beginning of Sahara for example?

The HD-A20 works perfectly with the D2 at 1080p24. Set up the video mode for that output to 1080p24 in the D2 and it will pass it through with no hiccups and no audio delays at all.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 08:44 AM 09-20-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ohdee~ View Post

I'll keep this as short as possible.

Right now I'm running a HD-PVR Sat, Xbox360, 1080i panny plasma, Panny up-converting DVD player, Merantz receiver (used as a pre-amp) and a Bryston 9bst amp.

I will be making the change to Bluray or HD DVD one of these days.

My question is simple. Is the Anthem AMV50 worth the money? Will I actually be able to see and hear a tangible improvement? I have the opportunity to purchase an AMV50 for 4000.00 (cdn) no tax's. 4000.00 that's it! I could also sell my current receiver for 250/300 bucks. It's 8 months old and was used by the owner of the electronics store I've been buying my HT equipment from for years.

But 4000.00 now is steep. It'll have to go on my VISA and it'll take a while to pay off. I'll be paying interest on the purchase for sure.

Would the processor make that big of a difference? Is this too good a deal to pass up? Any and all advice is welcome. This one is stressing me out!

It's not worth getting stressed out over a home theater purchase. It's just a hobby!

Yes the AVM-50 will improve your video in ways you can see, and yes the audio will also be improved -- particularly when you eventually go to HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. But if the financial pain is such that you'll be feeling it every time you turn on your system it just isn't worth it.

Odds are there will be more used Anthem stuff available next year because the used equipment market always gets larger in proportion to the number of new units sold no matter how much people like the new units. And you don't even have your HD-DVD or Blu-Ray yet.
--Bob
Tags: Receivers Amplifiers
First ... 302  303  304 305  306  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop