Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

Bob,

Thank you very much for your help. I ran a firmware update on the 3910 and it know works.

My wife told me the HDMI stopped working when I did the last firmware to the D2, guess I didn't notice.

Thanks again for your time Bob.

Michael

That's good to know. Thanks for the follow-up report.

Just in case we have any other Denon 3910 users here, what was the version number of the new Denon 3910 firmware that worked for you?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9182 of 43418 Old 09-23-2007, 10:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm still seeing Issue #2 on my D2 as well, are you using a power conditioner? Anthem told me to unplug from that and plug it straight into the wall and see if i still have the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash2003 View Post

I have had my D2 for six months and am really enjoying it, but it has a few issues for which I would like some input. System is a Simaudio Orbiter DVD player connected to the D2 (Version 1.11) via component feeding a 480i signal. The D2 is connected to a Sharp XVZ-3000 projector via HDMI cable with the D2 outputting 720p/60.

Issue #1:
I am seeing a blue screen periodically but it only lasts for a second. It usually happens at the beginning of a DVD when the menus change, or sometimes (intermittently) during the movie, when the scene changes. I also tried connecting the D2 to the projector via component cable, but this has not solved my problem.

Issue #2:
The D2 sometimes shuts itself off a few seconds after powerup; after this initial shutoff and my immediate repowering of the unit, it never spontaneously shuts off again. This happens approximately one out of every four times that the unit is powered up. This spontaneous shutdown problem never happens again after the D2 has warmed up.

Has anyone experienced these issues, and how did you address them? Thanks in advance for any advice.

post #9183 of 43418 Old 09-23-2007, 10:32 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschamis View Post

So here's my question, which probably has already been answered:

When you're receiving Linear PCM 5.1 uncompressed from a Blu-ray player and outputting to a 7.1 setup, what is the consensus favorite audio format to use on the D2? It seems as though PLIIx is widely used - is that better than DDEX? How about the Anthem proprietary formats?

Thanks,

David

I don't think there is a consensus. Try the various options and see what you like.

One thing that seems clear is that if the movie you are playing does not ALREADY have re-equalization applied, then the THX re-equalization post processing is a good thing. Read the fine print on the movie. Ones that don't need THX re-equalization sometimes say so. The Anthem lets you engage the THX re-equalization with or without the rest of the THX post processing.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #9184 of 43418 Old 09-23-2007, 10:40 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseliger View Post

I'm still seeing Issue #2 on my D2 as well, are you using a power conditioner? Anthem told me to unplug from that and plug it straight into the wall and see if i still have the issue.

I would guess they are thinking the power conditioner may not have enough capacity to handle the draw from the D2's power supply when it is woken up cold -- particularly since other equipment is likely also making significant power demands at that point.

Did plugging directly into the wall cure your power downs?
--Bob

post #9185 of 43418 Old 09-23-2007, 11:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

I havent been able to test it a lot since then, because it doesnt do it once its warmed up. I'll probably test it all this week and see.

The strange thing is, it powers up, and you actually get the "Powering Down" message so its not like it just shuts off totally due to lack of power.
post #9186 of 43418 Old 09-23-2007, 11:15 AM

Liked: 10
Bob:

Quote:

The D2 has some issues with COMPONENT 480i input that were fixed in V1.11g. Blue screen was not typically reported. It was more an image quality thing -- the defect looks like de-interlacing problems but is really something else.

To tell if you have been bitten by this bug, play the Component 480i source and, while it is playing, go to Video Source Adjust / Info and look at what it says for the video input resolution. If it says something like 1440x480i instead of the correct 720x480i then you have this problem.

I checked Video Source Adjust/Info, and it shows as 720 x 480i. I kept watching the screen while the DVD was playing and I noticed that the input went to 0 X 0 when the blue screen appeared. It then returned to 720 x 480i when the picture reappeared.

Quote:

EDITED TO ADD: Another good test is to switch (temporarily) to Component 480p input. If the problem goes away then you have the Componen 480i input bug. You can use 480p as a workaround until you get the new firmware.

It does exactly the same thing in 480p.

Quote:

We've had a few reports of spontaneous power off during a cold start, but I don't think we've had enough feedback from the folks reporting to be sure whether this is a software problem or a hardware problem in their unit. Anthem tech support more than likely has a better handle on this. So tell them about this problem as well, and if they don't know it to be a problem fixed in new software they may have you do some diagnostic steps to see if your unit has a hardware fault.
--Bob

The D2 is connected to a Panamax 5100 surge protector/line conditioner. I am using it because the power grid in my area is very unstable, with frequent power outages. I will try plugging the D2 directly into the wall outlet to see if this solves the problem, although if it does, I have another problem.

Thanks for your help.
post #9187 of 43418 Old 09-23-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am using a power conditioner. Please see my reply to Bob Pariseau for the details. I will post if I find a solution.
post #9188 of 43418 Old 09-23-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:

I havent been able to test it a lot since then, because it doesnt do it once its warmed up. I'll probably test it all this week and see.

The strange thing is, it powers up, and you actually get the "Powering Down" message so its not like it just shuts off totally due to lack of power.

I am not getting the "powering down" message before the D2 shuts off. My D2 shuts off immediately after I hear the "thunk" of the relay. I will have to do some more testing withought my power conditioner in the circuit. Maybe I will try a simple surge protector...
post #9189 of 43418 Old 09-23-2007, 11:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Just out of curiosity, people that are not having any problems...what Power Conditionter are you using?

I'm using a Monster Signature Series 5100 UHC20A (full 20A version).
post #9190 of 43418 Old 09-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Read the FAQ!

I don't use a power conditioner. I use an APC brand UPS (battery backup) that doubles as a surge protector and lets the unit ride through any power glitches, but the APC unit doesn't try to condition the power beyond providing the battery backup. My DVR runs off that as well. Primarily this avoids the nuisance of having to wait for things to reboot if there's a power glitch.

I'm still on the original V1.11 software and have had no such power-down problems with my D2.
--Bob

post #9191 of 43418 Old 09-23-2007, 12:26 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Bob:

I checked Video Source Adjust/Info, and it shows as 720 x 480i. I kept watching the screen while the DVD was playing and I noticed that the input went to 0 X 0 when the blue screen appeared. It then returned to 720 x 480i when the picture reappeared.

It does exactly the same thing in 480p.

The D2 is connected to a Panamax 5100 surge protector/line conditioner. I am using it because the power grid in my area is very unstable, with frequent power outages. I will try plugging the D2 directly into the wall outlet to see if this solves the problem, although if it does, I have another problem.

Thanks for your help.

Well I suppose you DVD player may be having some problems of its own. If you can hook it directly to a TV via its component outputs you'll be able to check this. If the problem doesn't show up except when running through the Anthem, then you'll need to call Anthem tech support.

Also, double check that your Component cables are fully inserted in their sockets. A weak signal will make it harder for the Anthem to lock on to the incoming Component video signal.
--Bob

post #9192 of 43418 Old 09-23-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Well I suppose you DVD player may be having some problems of its own. If you can hook it directly to a TV via its component outputs you'll be able to check this. If the problem doesn't show up except when running through the Anthem, then you'll need to call Anthem tech support.

Also, double check that your Component cables are fully inserted in their sockets. A weak signal will make it harder for the Anthem to lock on to the incoming Component video signal.
--Bob

Thanks. I'll try your suggestion re: the TV hookup next, and see if it helps (the component cable was properly connected).
post #9193 of 43418 Old 09-23-2007, 02:14 PM

Issue #2:
The D2 sometimes shuts itself off a few seconds after powerup; after this initial shutoff and my immediate repowering of the unit, it never spontaneously shuts off again. This happens approximately one out of every four times that the unit is powered up. This spontaneous shutdown problem never happens again after the D2 has warmed up.

Has anyone experienced these issues, and how did you address them? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I used to have the same problem with my D2, I've learned when I power up
the unit I hold down the main power button 2 to 3 seconds, and since then
have never had the problem of the D2 shuting off after intial power up..
If I hold the power button for a split second, it's likely to power off.

Bob
post #9194 of 43418 Old 09-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwit View Post

Issue #2:

I used to have the same problem with my D2, I've learned when I power up
the unit I hold down the main power button 2 to 3 seconds, and since then
have never had the problem of the D2 shuting off after intial power up..
If I hold the power button for a split second, it's likely to power off.

Bob

That's interesting! Are you talking about the Main power button on the remote or on the front panel? Are you using the Anthem remote or some other, programmable remote? If you are using the Anthem remote, have you tried the second remote that came with your Anthem to see if it does the same thing?

I wonder if there is a problem with the cold unit misreading a remote control code as power down instead of power up? I.e., this could merely be a remote control problem rather than something more serious with power supply or whatever.

Now these two codes are different (i.e., two different buttons on the remote each producing a unique code, rather than a single power toggle button/code), but if this is what's going on then there are some things to try.

The remote probably sends the Power On code more than once for each press of the button (this is typical for remotes), and if a trailing one of those is getting mis-read as Power Off, then the Anthem may queue it up and execute it just after it powers on! Or the remote itself could simply be faulty. The remotes are electronic devices too, and some small percentage of them will fail.

So for example, you could go into Setup / Triggers & IR & RS232 and make sure the internal IR sensors for the REAR IR control ports are turned off. There are situations where the light from a remote can penetrate the vents of the chassis and be picked up, perhaps incorrectly, by those internal sensors. As the unit warms up, those sensors will see the heat of the unit itself and be less sensitive to the infrared light from a remote.

If you are using a programmable remote, you could set the remote to only send the Power On code once per press of the button. If it is getting misread you might have to press the power on more than once, but at least it wouldn't power right back down on you.

If you are using the Anthem remote, try the OTHER Anthem remote, or try powering up using the front panel button to see if a momentary press works reliably.

If anyone has success with these suggestions, please do post your results here.
--Bob

post #9195 of 43418 Old 09-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Thanks. I'll try your suggestion re: the TV hookup next, and see if it helps (the component cable was properly connected).

You said you typically get the blue screen going in and out of menus on the DVD player -- which I presume means you are doing remote control commands to the DVD player

Is there any chance the Anthem is seeing these commands itself and doing something like changing inputs? If you are using a programmable remote, it is possible it is not programmed correctly. Or there could be a remote control code set conflict (some DVD remote commands for your player also match Anthem remote commands). To test this, shield the Anthem so that it can not see the remote control commands intended for the DVD player and then do the DVD commands to enter and leave menus. Do you still get the blue screen?

If not, then try the reverse. Shield the DVD player and point the remote at the Anthem and do *DVD COMMANDS* while the DVD is playing. The Anthem should ignore those commands and nothing should happen since the DVD player isn't seeing them either. Is that what you get, or is the Anthem unexpectedly responding in some fashion?
--Bob

post #9196 of 43418 Old 09-23-2007, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I had this problem with my AVM50 when I would press the button on the unit not the remote, but held it too long. It would come on and then turn off. Since I experienced this I now press the power button quickly and don't hold it. Hasn't powered off since.

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #9197 of 43418 Old 09-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

I had this problem with my AVM50 when I would press the button on the unit not the remote, but held it too long. It would come on and then turn off. Since I experienced this I now press the power button quickly and don't hold it. Hasn't powered off since.

That makes sense, I think.

Unlike on the remote, the Main power button on the front panel is a toggle. Press it once to turn on, and press it again to turn off. I suspect if you press and hold it gets treated as two presses.

But the power on button on the remote is distinct from the power off button, so it SHOULDN'T be queueing up a power off.

---------------------------------------------------

Folks, I like this idea a lot. I think there is an excellent chance that the rapid power downs are due to a power-off command getting mistakenly queued up somehow. This strikes me as much more likely than that some flaw in the power supply would force a shutdown like this.

My key suspect now would be the internal IR sensors for the rear panel IR control ports since the problem seems to be associated with powering up a cold unit.

If we can show this is what's happening, Anthem may be able to modify the power up sequence a bit to be less likely to queue up an erroneous power down command.
--Bob

post #9198 of 43418 Old 09-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

I had two other ideas worth checking. It is likely your player shuts off the video momentarily as it goes in and out of menus. Anything which slows down how the Anthem locks on to the new video once it starts up again could result in a short blue screen. And the prime suspect in such a delay would be the Anthem's Frame Lock feature.

So while viewing your DVD input, go to Video Source Adjust / Output scroll down to Frame Lock and insure Frame Lock = OFF is set for that input.

[Frame Lock should be OFF for ALL your inputs unless you are experimenting with 1080p/24Hz film based content on some input.]

----------------------------------------------

It is also possible your player is putting out an "unusual" analog Component video signal -- particularly when it is generating the graphics for its menus. This may be confusing the video digitizer in the Anthem. Some minor adjustments in Video Source Adjust / Picture / Video ADC might possibly help the Anthem to sync up faster.
--Bob

post #9199 of 43418 Old 09-23-2007, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Dolby Digital EX is a format... the center surround is matrixed into the stereo surround channels... this provides compatibility for 5.1 and 6.1 systems.

Dolby Pro Logic IIx is a decoding algorithm. It creates three or four surround channels from mono or stereo surround channels, EX encoded or not.

FilmMixer,

I think I understand your response, but the question still remains, since the D2 allows you to select either PLIIx or DDEX for 5.1 PCM source material - what is the consensus best choice?
post #9200 of 43418 Old 09-23-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:

So while viewing your DVD input, go to Video Source Adjust / Output scroll down to Frame Lock and insure Frame Lock = OFF is set for that input.

Frame Lock should be OFF for ALL your inputs unless you are experimenting with 1080p/24Hz film based content on some input.
--Bob

The frame-lock is (and was) set to OFF.

Quote:

It is also possible your player is putting out an "unusual" analog Component video signal -- particularly when it is generating the graphics for its menus. This may be confusing the video digitizer in the Anthem. Some minor adjustments in Video Source Adjust / Picture / Video ADC might possibly help the Anthem to sync up faster.
--Bob

Let me clarify exactly when I see the blue screen(s). I see the blue screen mainly at the beginning of DVDs when the film studio's initial identification (ID) sequence (e.g., MGM's roaring lion) is presented; the sequence goes something like this (I'm not sure if this is exact since it is from memory and varies with the DVD):

1. DVD starts playing
2. Blue screen flashes for an instant and disappears
3. The film studio's ID sequence is presented
4. Blue screen flashes again for a second
5. The movie trailers play
6. Blue Screen flashes for a second
7. The main menu appears

In my case, I don't believe my problem is related to the remote control, but is instead a synching issue (as you suggested) because the appearance of the blue screen is not generally associated with pressing the buttons on the remote. The blue screen is not associated with my selecting something from the menu, but shows up when the menu initially appears onscreen (after the film studio's ID sequence).

Sometimes, the blue screen appears DURING the movie, when a scene fades and another begins (may be a chapter change??). Some DVDs are more problematic than others. For example, I just watched a 2006 remastered James Bond DVD, and the blue screen did not make an appearance.

One other thing I am going to try is to swap out the component cable. The cable is a 10-foot long Wireworld Ultraviolet III+, but it is quite old (7 years) and may have some internal corrosion.

I'll keep you posted.
post #9201 of 43418 Old 09-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Winders View Post

We did watch MI:III last night. The kids really enjoy the quality of the picture and sound. My oldest even commented on how much he liked the new system.

Tom - what format were you using last night?
post #9202 of 43418 Old 09-23-2007, 07:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

I just tried turning the D2 on before ANYTHING else in my rack and it didnt power off...

I usually turn the projector on first (the amps dont turn on until the D2 triggers them)

Give that a shot and see, i'll be testing some more during them week when i know its cooled down.
post #9203 of 43418 Old 09-23-2007, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:

FilmMixer,

I think I understand your response, but the question still remains, since the D2 allows you to select either PLIIx or DDEX for 5.1 PCM source material - what is the consensus best choice?

In a 7.1 setup? PLIIx.
post #9204 of 43418 Old 09-23-2007, 09:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Tom - what format were you using last night?

I think it was the Ultra2 THX setting.
post #9205 of 43418 Old 09-24-2007, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Just out of curiosity, people that are not having any problems...what Power Conditionter are you using?

I'm using a Monster Signature Series 5100 UHC20A (full 20A version).

This is what I use. I have my entire HT plugged into it including 4 Crown 300WPC (x2) Amps. It's on a dedicated 20 Amp circuit.
http://www.furmansound.com/product.p...id=ELITE-20PFi

120@20@14'
post #9206 of 43418 Old 09-24-2007, 08:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Thats a nice unit, did it come with rackmount ears?
post #9207 of 43418 Old 09-24-2007, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiman View Post

Now that the Canadian $ is at par with the American $, why is it that the upgrade cost 200$ for Canadians ? Especially when anthem is a Canadian cie ?

Most of the manufacturers adjust their price a few times per year not a weekly/daily basis.
post #9208 of 43418 Old 09-24-2007, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

FWIW, in my opinion, the sound quality of the D2 is even more impressive than it's video capabilities.

Dead on. The audio is amazing.
post #9209 of 43418 Old 09-24-2007, 03:24 PM

Hello again.

OK I'm am very close to getting the AVM50

But a few more questions if I may.

-If my TV is ISF'd will I have to "redo" anything, Im asking because my set was configured for each input [PS3/ denon 2910 via HDMI] and [cablebox component] and [360 compontent] 360 and cable are a little different due to brightness.
So now all inputs will go out the AVM50 with one HDMI to one input in the TV so thats Why I ask.
So do I need to ISF the tv again or leave the tv as is and isf the avm50?

-does anyone have cable delay times? What I mean is hooked up Via hdmi the HD channels take from 5-30secs to load? [had this issue with the denon 4308]

- how close does the Amp have to be to the AVM50?

-pva5 vs mca50 using studio20 for L/R CC590 for center and ADP390 for surround , PS1200 sub in a 5.1 setup , whould I be OK with the pva5 or would it be best to go for the mca?

Thx in advanced "BOB" and whom ever else answers...lol I say Bob because he is always doing most of the replies.
post #9210 of 43418 Old 09-24-2007, 03:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREVLAN View Post

If my TV is ISF'd will I have to "redo" anything, Im asking because my set was configured for each input [PS3/ denon 2910 via HDMI] and [cablebox component] and [360 compontent] 360 and cable are a little different due to brightness.
So now all inputs will go out the AVM50 with one HDMI to one input in the TV so thats Why I ask.
So do I need to ISF the tv again or leave the tv as is and isf the avm50?

Technically, yes. As your output to your TV will now be the AVM50, you will need to recalibrate the set for the output from the AVM50 to the specific input on the TV. This will be calibrated using the output from the AVM50 scaler and no other input. You will then calibrate each source component making changes on the input to the AVM50 as necessary for each input.

Quote:

how close does the Amp have to be to the AVM50?

I have two different AMPs. One is in the same rack as my D2, I'm using 2M cables. The other is across the room connected via 75' balanced cables. If your amp is more than 10-15', you probably want to use balanced connections if possible. Otherwise, distance shouldn't matter.

Quote:

Thx in advanced "BOB" and whom ever else answers...lol I say Bob because he is always doing most of the replies.

I'm not Bob, and so I've only answered the questions I felt I could handle. I'm sure someone else will chime in with more info.

=== Tim
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers