post #9361 of 43161 Old 10-05-2007, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Switch the HDMI repeater settings in the CD source setup?

Thanks Mark,

How is the new house?

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9362 of 43161 Old 10-05-2007, 08:40 PM

Milt99 thx for the reply. HDDVD.. lol no thanks and I mean that with no offence.
one is good enough for me although i do love the matrix...
ok back on track.
i can get a good deal but my 10month old daughter comes first now to me.
as you can see i do like my toys but again priorities.

i really do think the problem with me is that anthem doesn't seem to be giving any updates and i get a feel from alot of ppl in this thread that anthem is getting dated.
and I don't mean anything bad in that from my end or heck i would be off to the 4308 denon and stop cluttering this great thread with my bad typing.

I don't want to spend 8000$ only to find out anthem is now making a new model and the avm50 can not be upgraded.

i "heard" that the dsp's are tapped or will be once the [room mic thing..lol sorry can't remember what it was] then what will they do?

or i can just spend 2000$ on the 4308 denon and call it a night but i just wasn't all that hyped about it when i demoed it.

i hate the state of electronics now...ok rant over.
i gotta get some sleep and do more thinking.
post #9363 of 43161 Old 10-05-2007, 10:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

OK, ready to BURST.

14 hour work day. Want to finish day and chill with some junk TV (as I call it), the end of recent episode of Supernatural in HD. Up comes voices on HD Tivo. Blue screen. Well I think that bouncing back to a menu and back will fix that. Menu comes up in wrong RGB format (posterized colors). No video. (You say Studio RGB? It's OK, after about 3 startups I'll have to set it back and reboot to get it working.) Go to back room. Do settings to Studio RGB to "unstick it" power down and up. Back into Theater and it boots OK to where I paused the HD Tivo. What a pain in the @ss.

This lack of stability is what we call "unsat"!!!!!! Just turning on the system to watch TV should just.... work.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #9364 of 43161 Old 10-06-2007, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Well at least you are not waiting for your 4th unit....

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #9365 of 43161 Old 10-06-2007, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddimberio View Post

OK. I am considering "dumping" my comcast service (Using Motorola 6412 DVR's) and going with Direct TV - or Verizon FIOS potentially. Are there any warnings out there that I should be aware of concerning Direct TV HD DVR's and my D2. A few key questions I have are:

Are there any "glitches" via HDMI and the D2 and Direct TV?
Do I gain any video quality w Direct TV?
Do the Direct TV DVR's output video simultaneously over component and HDMI? (I have two displays in my media room and I am only watching 1 at a time - one via component and the other HDMI)

Thoughts and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

The comparison of services and stb features should be done in the HDTV programming and hardware forums. Set top boxes and the D2 via HDMI have been known to be "finnicky" (see Tim's post above) depending on the particular model. A lot of people use component output from stbs because of this. I just got a TivoHD to replace my 6412 and I have no intention of using HDMI to connect it.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #9366 of 43161 Old 10-06-2007, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

OK. I am considering "dumping" my comcast service (Using Motorola 6412 DVR's) and going with Direct TV - or Verizon FIOS potentially. Are there any warnings out there that I should be aware of concerning Direct TV HD DVR's and my D2. A few key questions I have are:

Do the Direct TV DVR's output video simultaneously over component and HDMI? (I have two displays in my media room and I am only watching 1 at a time - one via component and the other HDMI)

1) I would not go with DirecTV. They were sued over there
advertising a better HD Picture - because it is NOT TRUE.
Also - come Feb 2009 - when all stations go digital - I doubt
their birds will be able to keep up without using extreme
compression which works against HDTV PQ.

2) As for Verizon - I'm aware of long wait times for installation
and lots of service calls to keep it going. It is bleeding edge
technology - which might be a bit early to market.

3) I would stay with Comcast. If you are like Bob a Motorola
DVR hater - then you have two other choices.

___A) Buy the new TIVO that can use the new Comcast two-way
Cable Card.

___B) Buy a Sony DHG-500 and use the new Comcast two-way
cable card. That is what I use for Comcast with my D2 - I
have (5) of the Sony DVRs. They are the BEST. And Like Rudolph
- I use Component out of the SONY DVR - Only because I don't
like the HDMI handshake delay. The SONY HDMI does work
perfectly with the D2 - just a pain in the butt handshaking
when you change channels.

post #9367 of 43161 Old 10-06-2007, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

I have a weird one that I am hoping someone can help with.

I have my Denon 3910 hooked up to the D2 via a HDMI cable. When I have the D2 on and the CD player, it isn't getting any sound. When I turn the TV on, I get sound? Seems weird that the TV is needed to make the connection work, and ideas?

Michael

Hi Michael,
I had the 3910 on a D2 for about 6 months and had lots of HDMI issues to the point where I finally moved to the Oppo 970 letting the D2 do all the work and in the bargain also got a multi-region DVD player and SACD/DVD-A thru HDMI.
There is no question the 3910 is a fantastic DVD player but the HDMI was really wonky for me. I am very happy with the Oppo which is shockingly low priced for what you get.
I hope to move back to Denon when they unleash their high end BluRay player.
What is my point? LOL...well I guess it is just that my suspicion is that the 3910 is just kinda wonky on the HDMI side so anything that happens, although they can be corrected, don't surprise me - I had all sorts of weird problems when using it.
Cheers!
/\\/\\
post #9368 of 43161 Old 10-06-2007, 07:59 AM

drmabuse same deal with my denon 2910 worked great for some time ,then all of a sudden.
HDMI issues popped up.
I think it's denon..lol another reason why i'm looking more at anthem avm50 then the denon 4308
post #9369 of 43161 Old 10-06-2007, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmabuse View Post

Hi Michael,
I had the 3910 on a D2 for about 6 months and had lots of HDMI issues to the point where I finally moved to the Oppo 970 letting the D2 do all the work and in the bargain also got a multi-region DVD player and SACD/DVD-A thru HDMI.
There is no question the 3910 is a fantastic DVD player but the HDMI was really wonky for me. I am very happy with the Oppo which is shockingly low priced for what you get.
What is my point? LOL...well I guess it is just that my suspicion is that the 3910 is just kinda wonky on the HDMI side so anything that happens, although they can be corrected, don't surprise me - I had all sorts of weird problems when using it.
Cheers!
/\\/\\

My Denon was perfect tell I updated to the V1.20 on the D2. It seems to be working better, so lets hope is stay stable, like I really want to go out and buy a new CD player.
post #9370 of 43161 Old 10-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I would not dump Comcast. It would be a mistake. I have never been happier since leaving DirecTV. With a 107 Hour TIVO S3 and a 107 Hour TivoHD with better PQ than D-TV (and no new dish installation issues) and the Red Sox on HD for the Playoffs, I cannot complain. If I had the bleeding technlogy Verizon Fios (I almost jumped to it) in the Boston area-I would be watching TBS on SD.

I am using Component out on both with my D2 because I avoid delays in handshaking and get an equal picture to HDMI connections.

Stan
post #9371 of 43161 Old 10-06-2007, 01:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

I just got a TivoHD to replace my 6412 and I have no intention of using HDMI to connect it.

larry

Good call, but my issues in not being able to just watch TV was on a Tivo S3 via component. I love the S3 & TivoHD as a replacement for two Comcast Moto boxes (the later has single one of the new dual cards, but it's not two way).

My issue is purely on the AVM50 side. Component is my DVR "standard" but the blue screens, delays in res changes, and losing format (RGB vs Studio RGB) is happening increasingly more often and for longer intervals. I did ratchet back from 12s to get more stability, but it's VERY frustrating. Of course I could backtrack to the posted production release but I would inherit 2 major issues with 1.3 devices.

PLEASE, a stable baseline update PLEASE. It shouldn't be this hard to watch TV.....

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #9372 of 43161 Old 10-06-2007, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht View Post

G
My issue is purely on the AVM50 side. Component is my DVR "standard" but the blue screens, delays in res changes, and losing format

Rudolph - I can't be 100% sure - but I'm
using FW 1.11 Vanilla - NO BETA Software.

My SONY DVRs are using Component out to
the D2. I have none of your problems with
Blue Screens.

Maybe it is not a Anthem FW issue. Maybe it
is a DVR issue.

The one other factor I have MY DVRs set to 1080i
always and then I let the D2 convert it to 1080p
for my Ruby.

Have you tried setting your DVR to FIXED output
Resolution?
post #9373 of 43161 Old 10-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

DirecTV's HD picture quality has improved substantially with the new satellite launches and MPEG4 compression that just went on line in September. I thought the PQ looked pretty darn good before, but it looks great now. The new H20 HD-DVR's work very well, though they do not output HDMI and component simultaneously. I only use component video output from the H-20. Why use HDMI if you don't need too? I only use HDMI to my projector and HD-DVD player. I try to avoid any potential HDMI conflicts whenever possible, which may be why my D2 has been running rock solid on the current software release that's on the Anthem web site. If it ain't broke, don't break it! For a lot of good info on DirecTV, DISH, etc. check out dbstalk.com
post #9374 of 43161 Old 10-06-2007, 03:20 PM

Update:

I played around by connecting via DVI-VGA to a Samsung computer LCD monitor and the video card was able to recognize it. However, switching to the second DVI output, it seems like this is not working, so my PC manufacturer is sending a replacement.

I also ordered a new DVI-HDMI cable (thinking my existing 3-yr-old cable may be defective) but still no luck. When I have the PC connected to the Anthem via DVI-HDMI and I press Select on the D2's remote, it says there is no video signal. However, I know there is a video signal since it sent signal to the Samsung monitor mentioned above.

In general, if the video card doesn't recognize the D2's EDID, does that it mean won't output a signal? Or in other words, does it have to recognize the display before it sends a signal?

Maybe the replacement video card will have better luck...

Another question...would a DVI to component (YPrPb) converter allow me to view my PC's higher resolutions (eg. 1920 x 1200) thru the D2 and projector? I was thinking maybe if I get the PC's output converted to component 1080i/p I could then feed it into the D2 and...voila? How about something like this:

http://www.ambery.com/dvtocovidvto.html

Thanks again...

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krops View Post

The monitor does not need to be present at the time of driver installation. Also, I would try getting things to work first with a direct connection from the NVidia card to the D2, i.e. bypass the Gefen DVI Detective to eliminate a variable.

Start the D2, set it to the PC's HDMI input and then power-cycle your PC. In my case when Windows XP starts, the D2 will receive a signal from the card. At this point, I can see my desktop background. Once XP finishes loading, I go into the NVidia control panel and set the proper mode for a 2-monitor display ("clone" in my case).

Once you verify things are working with a direct connection, then introduce the DVI Detective.

Joe's Movie Mutterings

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9375 of 43161 Old 10-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmabuse View Post

Hi Michael,
Cheers!
/\\/\\

I have a Denon 3910 connected via HDMI for DVD-videos, and 5.1 analog for DVD-Audio and SACD. I never had any problems with the various D2 firmware versions that I've had. I use it mainly for DVD-Video. No problems whatsoever for me. I assume you upgraded to the latest 3910 firmware (which came out a long time ago)?
post #9376 of 43161 Old 10-07-2007, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post

I have a Denon 3910 connected via HDMI for DVD-videos, and 5.1 analog for DVD-Audio and SACD. I never had any problems with the various D2 firmware versions that I've had. I use it mainly for DVD-Video. No problems whatsoever for me. I assume you upgraded to the latest 3910 firmware (which came out a long time ago)?

I loaded the multi region patch into it as that was a key thing I wanted with the 3910 as I buy a lot of music dvd's from other regions. I did not upgrade the firmware after that so it may indeed have been a source of some of my issues.
/\\/\\
post #9377 of 43161 Old 10-07-2007, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

ddimberio.... take a look at Dish Network, if you have it avail in your area... They provide a great product, with none of the poor customer service found with Directv. I switched over 2 years ago, and never looked back !!!! On a side note about Dish, I have yet to hear about 1 single user to have HDMI handshake issues. Maybe there are some, but I have never had an issue switching with any of my 3 receivers.

Their HD content channels are second to none... IMO
And they get more channels faster then any other service that I know of...

Good luck buddy...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9378 of 43161 Old 10-07-2007, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 217
This product has been out for about 9 months and there is still no official firmware update for it, despite the fact that the last time I tried it HDMI audio was still not working on the Tosh XA2.

Does anyone have any info about this?

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #9379 of 43161 Old 10-07-2007, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbrand View Post

DirecTV's HD picture quality has improved substantially with the new satellite launches and MPEG4 compression that just went on line in September. I thought the PQ looked pretty darn good before, but it looks great now. The new H20 HD-DVR's work very well, though they do not output HDMI and component simultaneously. I only use component video output from the H-20. Why use HDMI if you don't need too?

Agree about the picture quality...

The HR20's HDMI and component outputs do work at the same time... I had one hooked to my TV via HDMI and the component hooked up to my SlingBox at 1080i,
post #9380 of 43161 Old 10-07-2007, 06:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Rudolph - I can't be 100% sure - but I'm
using FW 1.11 Vanilla - NO BETA Software.

My SONY DVRs are using Component out to
the D2. I have none of your problems with
Blue Screens.

Hank,

With res stuck at 1080i I have less pauses between res switches, but I have the downside of if the Tivo S3 starts blue it stays blue. Sometimes (actually mostly) if video is blue the kick into 720p (left arrow) gets me a picture back and if not posterized it will return me to correct 1080i or 720p video depending on network.

I still end up with posterized screens intermittently, no video syn, and blu screens even on 1080i stuck DVR, aside from intermittent no sound on some HDMI sources (Pio DVD).

I'll chock it up to beta software, but I have issues going back to old rev so I'm stuck.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #9381 of 43161 Old 10-07-2007, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll chock it up to beta software, but I have issues going back to old rev so I'm stuck.

Are you up to Beta 1.12 Yet?
post #9382 of 43161 Old 10-08-2007, 05:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Are you up to Beta 1.12 Yet?

12s

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #9383 of 43161 Old 10-08-2007, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

12s

Is 12s the version shipping with NEW UNITS?

It just seems wrong that you are getting blue
screens with DVR Component out to Anthem.

There is NO Handshake with any Component
signals.

It almost seems like the DVRs are losing
sync while channel surfing.
post #9384 of 43161 Old 10-08-2007, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
In case you haven't seen it, a very nice and detailed review of the AVM 50 at the Ultimate AV website:

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/surroun...rs/1007anthem/

"it earns as high a recommendation as I can offer, and a tip of this reviewer's cap."

Highs
Blu-ray and HD DVD ready with HDMI processing of 1080p video in all flavors and hi-res multichannel PCM
Superlative, full-featured video processing
Excellent sound quality
Outstanding support through frequent firmware updates
Deep, complex functionality for power users and tweaks
Outstanding, straightforward user interface
Ton of features, functions and performance for the money

Lows
May curb desire to upgrade
Too many buttons on front panel
So-so remote has multiple labels that confuse clumsy reviewers

The author of the review notes that he's about to get his hands on an updated version of the D2 and thus will be providing a review of that unit in a few months.

- Dave

post #9385 of 43161 Old 10-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Agree about the picture quality...

The HR20's HDMI and component outputs do work at the same time... I had one hooked to my TV via HDMI and the component hooked up to my SlingBox at 1080i,

FilmMixer,

You are right, and in fact ALL of the video output options on the HR-20 are hot. Of course only the HDMI and component connections output HD signals. I was relying on my memory, and was probably thinking about one of my previous units. Sorry for any confusion.
post #9386 of 43161 Old 10-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Typically what you want for an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player is an "auto" setting that sends decoded PCM to the Anthem when playing a PCM or TrueHD track (or a DTS-HD MA track in the future) and sends the "lossy" DD5.1 or DTS bitstream to the Anthem when playing standard DVDs.

Two questions about this:

1. Does anyone know if the PS3 has this option? I don't think it does but I can easily have missed it.

2. What happens if you output Linear PCM on a standard DVD? Does the DVD players somehow convert DD5.1 to 2-channel PCM?
post #9387 of 43161 Old 10-09-2007, 06:52 AM

I bought the AVM50 & black pearl. The picture is pristine clear with my blu-ray BDP-S300. The sound is so sweet with my two Diana Krall DVDs.

The system costs me an arm and a leg, but I could not be any happier...

One note though, the S300 must have the latest firmware 2.60, otherwise there is no picture via HDMI.

Thank you, drhankz and Bob. You inspire me...

PS: If there is any good music DVDs (jazz & opera & classical) that you would recommended, please let me know, grazie mille
post #9388 of 43161 Old 10-09-2007, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbui57 View Post

Thank you, drhankz and Bob. You inspire me...

Great Choices - Anthem and the Black Pearl.

I'm sure the PQ of the Black Pearl is awesome.

I have an OLD Ruby - and waiting for the Diamond if
it ever shows up

FYI - you will find the ARM and LEG grow back from ENJOYMENT [GRIN]
post #9389 of 43161 Old 10-09-2007, 07:44 AM

drhankz, you are right again...they are growing back.
We are so impressed with the sound from our Diana Krall DVDs. The best experience I have ever had with a sound system.
post #9390 of 43161 Old 10-09-2007, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbui57 View Post

drhankz, you are right again...they are growing back.

YUP - the more pleasure you experience - the
more they grow back

Especially with Wives or Girlfriends.

The more they enjoy it - the more forgiving
of the SPENDING they are
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page