Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 316 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9451 of 42981 Old 10-12-2007, 06:41 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbui57 View Post

I set up the AVM50 video out to 1920x1080p/24, preferred input to HDMI as specified in the manual. If I select BD player to ouput 1080p/24, standard def DVD looks good. If I set the BD player to "source direct" to let the AVM do the video upscaling, the picture is not as good as before.

My understanding is the Gennum video processing is much better than my BD player. Did I miss-configure the AVM50 ? or the video upscale only apply to component input ?

Thanks a bunch,

What is being sent to the Anthem when you set "source direct" in the player? You can tell by looking at the Video Source Adjust / Info panel (hold the "7" key on the Anthem remote while viewing that source).

If you are sending 480i/60 or 1080i/60 then you will see problems, even if the content is a movie. 480i/60 or 1080i/60 to 1080p/24 conversion in the Anthem is not working yet. Anthem is still working on that. 480i/60 or 1080i/60 input should be output as /60 video from the Anthem.

------------------------------------------

If your TV can accept 1080p/24 *AND ALSO* will display it at a multiple of 24 fps, then you should install the V1.12s Anthem software (also labeled V1.2 when installed by the factory). This software has significant improvements for those wanting to view /24 video.

With that software you can set up two Video Output configurations that can be assigned to any input device. Set up one as 1080p/24 output from the Anthem, set up the other as 1080p/60.

When viewing a Blu-Ray disc, have the player output 1080p/24, and set the Anthem to use its 1080p/24 Video Output configuration.

When viewing a standard DVD dsc, have the player output 480i/60, and set the Anthem to use its 1080p/60 Video Output configuration.

Switching between 1080p/24 and 480i/60 according to the type of disc you are playing should be what your "source direct" setting is doing in the player, but perhaps not.

[NOTE: When playing SACD or DVD-Audio discs, make sure the player is sending out 720p or higher video over HDMI. You should use /60 video for these discs as well.]

When viewing television, also use the Anthem's 1080p/60 Video Output configuration. For SDTV, send 480i/60 to the Anthem. For HDTV send 720p or 1080i/60 to the Anthem according to what's coming in on the channel at the moment.

To make things more convenient for using the Blu-Ray player, define two "overlayed" input definitions in the Anthem (e.g., DVD1 and DVD2). Assign the two Video Output configurations to each of them much the way you could assign the Cinema or Music speaker configuration to any input. Use the one with the 1080p/24 Video Output assigned to watch Blu-Ray discs. Use the one with the 1080p/60 Video Output assigned to watch standard DVD discs.

Video Source Adjust / Output / Frame Lock should be set to OFF for all your inputs when doing things this way.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9452 of 42981 Old 10-12-2007, 06:50 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_fitz View Post

Well I think I figured out the problem. When my box is outputting 480i standard, it will not allow me to do a stretch only normal, zoom1 and zoom2. But on 1080i it has normal, stretch, zoom1 and zoom2. Anyone know why? Should I be using 480i widescreen in the setup of the 8300?

Thanks

John

480i widescreen does allow me to do stetch but when I set the box for pass-through it does not recognize sd material as 480i wide but as 480i standard. If I force the box by selecting fixed output mode to 480i standard it does allow me to stretch but it stretches the picture vertically.

If I force the box to 480i wide and leave it on normal, the picture has the proper height but is skinnier than regular sd material with pillar boxes on the sides. When I select stretch on 480i wide it the fills the proper width for sd material with the pillar boxes on the sides. My tv channel guide for my cable is also much skinnier than normal when on this mode. Is this right??

If you can't get your box to NOT generate pillar box bars around SD content, and if it is not sending the correct aspect ratio stuff to the Anthem for the Anthem to know the box is providing the bars then:

* Let the box generate pillar box bars for SD content. This is not ideal for best viewing quality, but you've got to work with what the box will do.

* Set Video Source Adjust / Scale Out = Anamorphic in the Anthem.

This combo should give you a properly shaped image for both SD and HD viewing.

Consider getting a new TV set top box.

Also consider trying Component video and optical audio from the box to the Anthem. The box may work more intelligently over Component than over HDMI.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #9453 of 42981 Old 10-12-2007, 07:04 AM
Member
 
tbui57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Bob.

I have AVM firmware version 1.2 (aka 1.12). I will try the 1080p/60 for the standard DVD tonight. My best regards to you...
tbui57 is offline  
post #9454 of 42981 Old 10-12-2007, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Milt99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: West Of California
Posts: 5,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREVLAN View Post

Ouch what happend to the love in this thread?

I hope you know I was making a dumb joke. Seriously no offense intended in the slightest.

 

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Milt99 is online now  
post #9455 of 42981 Old 10-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Member
 
TREVLAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Use bitstream when playing legacy "lossy" packed audio formats -- i.e., DD5.1 or DTS from standard DVDs. The Anthem will decode those for you.

Use PCM for everything else -- including Blu-Ray packed audio formats and raw PCM tracks, and SACD.

I don't own a PS3, but there should be an "automatic" setting in it for HDMI audio that does just this.
--Bob


No auto mode so I must remember to switch back-n-forth.

Milt99, none taken at all I know you meant it as a joke I can see from the posts in this thread that none of that crap goes on in it.
TREVLAN is offline  
post #9456 of 42981 Old 10-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
cosmos5861's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone here using Anthem with Panasonic TH50pf9uk?
cosmos5861 is offline  
post #9457 of 42981 Old 10-12-2007, 01:28 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
rudolpht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Boxborough, MA, USA
Posts: 7,566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Is 12s the version shipping with NEW UNITS?

It just seems wrong that you are getting blue
screens with DVR Component out to Anthem.

There is NO Handshake with any Component
signals.

It appears there is a delay in resolution switching. That said I just received the production 1.21 which is imminent. It appears to be more stable, but still has some blue screen res switching still. I can live with a blue pause if the video is getting properly upconverted from native source res.

Tim

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
rudolpht is offline  
post #9458 of 42981 Old 10-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht View Post

It appears there is a delay in resolution switching. That said I just received the production 1.21 which is imminent. It appears to be more stable, but still has some blue screen res switching still. I can live with a blue pause if the video is getting properly upconverted from native source res.

Tim

Interesting news Tim! Any other info on what is supposed to have change in V1.21?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #9459 of 42981 Old 10-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos5861 View Post

Anyone here using Anthem with Panasonic TH50pf9uk?

What's the nature of your question? Folks using other Panasonic models may also be able to help.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #9460 of 42981 Old 10-12-2007, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
drhankz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht View Post

It appears there is a delay in resolution switching. That said I just received the production 1.21 which is imminent. It appears to be more stable, but still has some blue screen res switching still. I can live with a blue pause if the video is getting properly upconverted from native source res.

Tim

I think - [of course I could be wrong] - but I
think it is IMPOSSIBLE to make the HDMI
blue screen switching go away. I assume that
is coming directly from the DVR box as a Blue
Screen while it decides yet one more time if
everything is OK
drhankz is online now  
post #9461 of 42981 Old 10-12-2007, 03:27 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
rudolpht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Boxborough, MA, USA
Posts: 7,566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

I think - [of course I could be wrong] - but I
think it is IMPOSSIBLE to make the HDMI
blue screen switching go away. I assume that
is coming directly from the DVR box as a Blue
Screen while it decides yet one more time if
everything is OK

I'm still going to guess it is resolution changes since I only use component with DVRs unless you think it's the HDMI to DVI to projector that's thinking even if the inbound source is component ?

Bob,
I know a support link went out with some updated materials (but it looks like for a new beta 1.21b vs the production rev). I don't notice any new features (there may be) but the stability is the key for me.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
rudolpht is offline  
post #9462 of 42981 Old 10-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Senior Member
 
|M|B.M.F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am seeing a lot of Posterization on my screen from any source...dvd, hd dvd, comcast dvd through my infocus. If you do not know what it is (i didn't) here is a link explaining it. Needless to say it drives me crazy.

http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_te...i=49550,00.asp


I have an infocus 7205 hooked up to the D2 via hdmi. I see this artifact all the time. Could there be something wrong with my D2 to cause this or would it be my display?

Anyone else experience this? Anyone able to eliminate or mostly elimate this with their set up? If so, let me know what you are running!
|M|B.M.F. is offline  
post #9463 of 42981 Old 10-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by |M|B.M.F. View Post

I am seeing a lot of Posterization on my screen from any source...dvd, hd dvd, comcast dvd through my infocus. If you do not know what it is (i didn't) here is a link explaining it. Needless to say it drives me crazy.

http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_te...i=49550,00.asp


I have an infocus 7205 hooked up to the D2 via hdmi. I see this artifact all the time. Could there be something wrong with my D2 to cause this or would it be my display?

Anyone else experience this? Anyone able to eliminate or mostly elimate this with their set up? If so, let me know what you are running!

Artifacts like that could be the result of a poorly engineered projector or a fault in the D2, but almost always this sort of stuff just boils down to improper video setup and calibration.

Take a look at the "Video Calibration for non-ISF Techs" post found in the collection of links in the first post of this thread.

Double check the picture mode you are using in the projector and whether you have turned off its video "enhancement" features. Double check your D2's Setup / Video Output settings. Preference should be HDMI or Component depending on what you are using for the projector. Color Space should be HDTV if you are sending 720p or higher to the projector. Also check the options for Data Format. Your projector may be happier receiving RGB instead of YCbCr, or YCbCr 4:4:4 instead of 4:2:2.

If these checks don't give you an easy answer, then the next step is to carefully and patiently follow the instructions in that post on how to set up, first, the D2's video output and your projector's video level settings to best reproduce that output, and, second, the video into the D2 from each source and the D2's input level setting adjustments found in the Video Source Adjust menu.

Also, make sure you have not accidentally turned on Video Source Adjust / Scale Out = Zoom. The "Zoom" feature should never be used for normal viewing.

When you have finished with the instructions in that post, look for smooth gray scale and color ramp charts in your video calibration DVD. Do you still see significant signs of banding in those? If so, something is still misadjusted. Indeed, there may be stuff that needs to be adjusted in the service menus of your projector. You can learn more about video calibration in the video calibration forum here (or just ask in this thread), or you can hire a professional -- an ISF Technician -- to come in and do the job for you.

Another test is to connect a source such as your DVD player directly to the projector, adjust the projector's video levels with the aid of your calibration DVD, and see if you still get banding. This will help you figure out if the fault lies in your projector.

Modern digital displays are finicky about correct level settings. Posterization is usually a result of poorly set Blacks and Whites levels (Brightness and Contrast control respectively.)
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #9464 of 42981 Old 10-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Member
 
TREVLAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK my remote guy came today.
I am now hooked up with version 1.21b for the software.

Don';t know what to tell you guys that is defferant.
My 1080i/p over component bug went away.
I still "sometimes" get the blue screen its more when it switched the cable box from a 480i/720p up to 1080i this is the only time I see it other wise when I go from 1080i to 1080i channel it does not do this.
Ok Im going to watch a movie chat soon and thx again to everyone for the help here and there.

P.S. waiting for my ISF guy to come back as the cable channels HD or not look like crap again.
TREVLAN is offline  
post #9465 of 42981 Old 10-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREVLAN View Post

OK my remote guy came today.
I am now hooked up with version 1.21b for the software.

Don';t know what to tell you guys that is defferant.
My 1080i/p over component bug went away.
I still "sometimes" get the blue screen its more when it switched the cable box from a 480i/720p up to 1080i this is the only time I see it other wise when I go from 1080i to 1080i channel it does not do this.
Ok Im going to watch a movie chat soon and thx again to everyone for the help here and there.

P.S. waiting for my ISF guy to come back as the cable channels HD or not look like crap again.

The HDMI handshake from the cable set top box to the Anthem only needs to be redone when you change output resolutions.

So there will be no new handshake when you change between SD channels or HD channels at the same video resolution.

The source device periodically checks the copy protection while you are viewing, but you won't see that unless the check fails and the handshake has to be redone (rare in a properly installed setup).
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #9466 of 42981 Old 10-12-2007, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
drhankz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht View Post

I'm still going to guess it is resolution changes since I only use component with DVRs unless you think it's the HDMI to DVI to projector that's thinking even if the inbound source is component ?

Tim - that is a GOOD POINT.

Are you saying you have BOTH a HDMI connector in
your DVR as well as COMPONENT?

On my SONY DVRs -- If I plug any HDMI connector
in my DVR - It disables Component. Maybe yours
keeps them BOTH active and you get the HDMI
delays even if you are not really using them
drhankz is online now  
post #9467 of 42981 Old 10-12-2007, 07:49 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
rudolpht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Boxborough, MA, USA
Posts: 7,566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Tim - that is a GOOD POINT.

Are you saying you have BOTH a HDMI connector in
your DVR as well as COMPONENT?

On my SONY DVRs -- If I plug any HDMI connector
in my DVR - It disables Component. Maybe yours
keeps them BOTH active and you get the HDMI
delays even if you are not really using them

No, only using component. The HDMI connector I was talking about was from the AVM to the projector (with a DVI adapter). I don't think that connection would trigger a resync on a component source so I'm left thinking, like TREVLAN, that it is the video res change that's causing the blue screen before the video syncs. Typically happens in a 720p to 1080i source shift.


I know I could get the DVR to output 1080i all the time, but I really want the native rate into the AVM, and can live with the blue screens (with latest software at least the picture comes back after a couple seconds)

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
rudolpht is offline  
post #9468 of 42981 Old 10-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Member
 
TREVLAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
rudolpht same thing when going from 480i to 1080i no blue screen.
but 720p tp 1080i always for 1/2 a sec or so I get it.
I am using the 3250 rogers HD box if that even helps at all.
TREVLAN is offline  
post #9469 of 42981 Old 10-13-2007, 03:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
randman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht View Post

No, only using component. The HDMI connector I was talking about was from the AVM to the projector (with a DVI adapter). I don't think that connection would trigger a resync on a component source so I'm left thinking, like TREVLAN, that it is the video res change that's causing the blue screen before the video syncs. Typically happens in a 720p to 1080i source shift.


I know I could get the DVR to output 1080i all the time, but I really want the native rate into the AVM, and can live with the blue screens (with latest software at least the picture comes back after a couple seconds)

I have a similar issue with my TiVo Series 3. My D2 is connected to my projector (Marantz VP-12S3) via HDMI to DVI cable. In the past, my TiVo was connected to my D2 via HDMI. I was getting the blue screen when switching resolutions (this was with v1.11 and 1.11g firmware on the D2). I switched to using component out from TiVo to the D2. Same problem - I would get the bluescreen occasionally when resolution would switch. When switching from one 1080i channel to another 1080i channel, no problem. But sometimes when switching to different resolutions, I would get the blue screen. Note that the native resolution of TiVo menus is 720p, so bringing up the menu may also cause a resolution switch. I also have this problem with version 1.20 of the D2 firmware. When I get the blue screen, switching sources on the D2 and back to the Tivo might help, but sometimes I have to restart the D2. I got tired of this issue, so I made my TiVo always output 1080i. With 1080i, things work fine, but I'm not taking advantage of the D2's scaler with non-1080i sources. Anyone else have this issue with the TiVo Series 3 and the D2?
randman is offline  
post #9470 of 42981 Old 10-13-2007, 07:45 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post

I have a similar issue with my TiVo Series 3. My D2 is connected to my projector (Marantz VP-12S3) via HDMI to DVI cable. In the past, my TiVo was connected to my D2 via HDMI. I was getting the blue screen when switching resolutions (this was with v1.11 and 1.11g firmware on the D2). I switched to using component out from TiVo to the D2. Same problem - I would get the bluescreen occasionally when resolution would switch. When switching from one 1080i channel to another 1080i channel, no problem. But sometimes when switching to different resolutions, I would get the blue screen. Note that the native resolution of TiVo menus is 720p, so bringing up the menu may also cause a resolution switch. I also have this problem with version 1.20 of the D2 firmware. When I get the blue screen, switching sources on the D2 and back to the Tivo might help, but sometimes I have to restart the D2. I got tired of this issue, so I made my TiVo always output 1080i. With 1080i, things work fine, but I'm not taking advantage of the D2's scaler with non-1080i sources. Anyone else have this issue with the TiVo Series 3 and the D2?

It is very strange to have a problem like this with Component input unless the source device itself has a problem.

The Anthem converts all processed video input to 1080p regardless of what's being sent in. That intermediate result is then converted to your Video Output setting. So long as you have Frame Lock = Off set for the input, the video ouput from the Anthem does not change due to the input resolution changing. So there's no reason for a new HDMI handshake on the output side just because Component input video resolution changed.

So either the source has a problem and isn't really sending out what it is supposed to be sending out, or the Anthem is having a problem recognizing and locking on to the Component video input signal.

When receiving Component video input the Anthem has to recognize and sync to the signal. For anyone familiar with multi-sync monitors you'll know that this will result in a brief flicker, but that's it. The change should be very quick (there's no refresh rate to change or anything). It should be way faster than the 1-2 seconds needed for an HDMI handshake.

----------------------------------

In any event, the Tivo S3 is a popular enough device that Anthem should already be familiar with it. If they are not seeing this problem in the lab then that points to either a faulty S3 or a faulty Anthem in your house, or just possibly faulty Component cables.

I take it you've tried Component from the S3 directly to your TV and you've seen no problems when switching resolutions in the S3?

Are there any firmware updates pending for the S3?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #9471 of 42981 Old 10-13-2007, 08:04 AM
Member
 
uberanalyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Great Falls, VA
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Interesting news Tim! Any other info on what is supposed to have change in V1.21?
--Bob

Here's the list from Anthem relative to v1.20:

CHANGE LIST

v1.21b:

1. 2-line display shows input resolution in upper line and volume in lower line.

2. Menus 6 and 7 show renamed source names beside factory source names.

3. Enabled HDMI audio-in when no HDMI display is connected.

4. Fix in handling of macrovision encoded analog video sources, especially if both video-out configurations are used.

5. Fixed Component2 passthrough mode.

6. Improvements to installer stability with various PC and hardware combinations.

IF YOU ARE USING PROCESSED COMPONENT OUTPUT FROM THE PREAMP, DO NOT INSTALL THIS VERSION WITHOUT CONTACTING ANTHEM TECH SUPPORT FIRST - picture artifacts may otherwise result.
uberanalyst is offline  
post #9472 of 42981 Old 10-13-2007, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AnthemAVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bob,

Quick question, I am starting to see more blue screens when watching my 8300HD passed to the D2 with on a HDMI cable. The picture switches to blue, during a program, not a commercial, I don't loose sound just the picture for a second then it comes back on.

Any ideas?

I am using 1.20.

Thanks
AnthemAVM is offline  
post #9473 of 42981 Old 10-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
cosmos5861's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

What's the nature of your question? Folks using other Panasonic models may also be able to help.
--Bob

Trying to share setting info.
cosmos5861 is offline  
post #9474 of 42981 Old 10-13-2007, 08:30 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

Bob,

Quick question, I am starting to see more blue screens when watching my 8300HD passed to the D2 with on a HDMI cable. The picture switches to blue, during a program, not a commercial, I don't loose sound just the picture for a second then it comes back on.

Any ideas?

I am using 1.20.

Thanks

The HDMI source periodically rechecks the copy protection while you are watching. Normally you won't see that. But if it fails, the video will be muted for a second or two while it retries.

Usually this is a result of an inadequate HDMI cable or of a cable that's not fully inserted straight into the socket with no stress to any side.

You could also see this if your cable TV signal is marginal and you are momentarily losing the signal for that channel. Try a different channel. If the problem occurs on lots of channels then check your HDMI cabling.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #9475 of 42981 Old 10-13-2007, 08:32 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberanalyst View Post

Here's the list from Anthem relative to v1.20:

CHANGE LIST

v1.21b:

1. 2-line display shows input resolution in upper line and volume in lower line.

2. Menus 6 and 7 show renamed source names beside factory source names.

3. Enabled HDMI audio-in when no HDMI display is connected.

4. Fix in handling of macrovision encoded analog video sources, especially if both video-out configurations are used.

5. Fixed Component2 passthrough mode.

6. Improvements to installer stability with various PC and hardware combinations.

IF YOU ARE USING PROCESSED COMPONENT OUTPUT FROM THE PREAMP, DO NOT INSTALL THIS VERSION WITHOUT CONTACTING ANTHEM TECH SUPPORT FIRST - picture artifacts may otherwise result.

Thanks! I see a few V1.20 bugs have been fixed that we've been discussing here. I take it you've got no details on the processed Component output issue.

And apparently there's been no progress on 480i or 1080i conversion to 1080p/24 yet, either. I guess that's proving a tough nut for them to crack.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #9476 of 42981 Old 10-13-2007, 08:39 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
rudolpht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Boxborough, MA, USA
Posts: 7,566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post

I have a similar issue with my TiVo Series 3. My D2 is connected to my projector (Marantz VP-12S3) via HDMI to DVI cable. In the past, my TiVo was connected to my D2 via HDMI. I was getting the blue screen when switching resolutions (this was with v1.11 and 1.11g firmware on the D2). I switched to using component out from TiVo to the D2. Same problem - I would get the bluescreen occasionally when resolution would switch. When switching from one 1080i channel to another 1080i channel, no problem. But sometimes when switching to different resolutions, I would get the blue screen. Note that the native resolution of TiVo menus is 720p, so bringing up the menu may also cause a resolution switch. I also have this problem with version 1.20 of the D2 firmware. When I get the blue screen, switching sources on the D2 and back to the Tivo might help, but sometimes I have to restart the D2. I got tired of this issue, so I made my TiVo always output 1080i. With 1080i, things work fine, but I'm not taking advantage of the D2's scaler with non-1080i sources. Anyone else have this issue with the TiVo Series 3 and the D2?

This is exactly my experience with the S3. Exactly. I'm just too stubborn to switch to 1080i constant output.

Bob,
I believe "Anthem is having a problem recognizing and locking on to the Component video input signal" is the issue. With the newer firmware at least the picture doesn't go tango uniform, BUT there is a momentary blue screen 720p->1080i & a shorter interval 1080i-> 720p. The newer firmware is better to the extent that the picture doesn't get lost requiring a toggle between resolutions or a reboot of the Anthem or Tivo.

Tim

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
rudolpht is offline  
post #9477 of 42981 Old 10-13-2007, 09:02 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Tim Winders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Levelland, TX
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I broke down and bought a TivoHD to replace my LG 3410. I have it connected by HDMI. I tried to use Native resolution, but the constant blue screens when changing channels really bothered my wife, so I changed to fixed 1080i output from the THD. I never tried component connections (yeah, yeah, I know everything I said above, blah!). With fixed 1080i output and HDMI I haven't seen any bluescreens or other problems. I'd be willing to bet the picture is just about the same as Native with Component cables plus TOSLink audio.

If I "run out" of HDMI connections on the D2, I'll switch the THD to component, but, for now, I only have 2 sources, so it's not a problem.

=== Tim
Tim Winders is offline  
post #9478 of 42981 Old 10-13-2007, 09:12 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
rudolpht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Boxborough, MA, USA
Posts: 7,566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Winders View Post

Well, I broke down and bought a TivoHD to replace my LG 3410. I have it connected by HDMI. I tried to use Native resolution, but the constant blue screens when changing channels really bothered my wife, so I changed to fixed 1080i output from the THD. I never tried component connections (yeah, yeah, I know everything I said above, blah!). With fixed 1080i output and HDMI I haven't seen any bluescreens or other problems. I'd be willing to bet the picture is just about the same as Native with Component cables plus TOSLink audio.

If I "run out" of HDMI connections on the D2, I'll switch the THD to component, but, for now, I only have 2 sources, so it's not a problem.

=== Tim

This seems to indicate it is the res changes, not HDMI specific.

Maybe Anthem can work this. They do know about the issue from several folks.

I Hate to think about going fixed 1080i. No don't do it. No don't do it. If Tivo menus were 1080i it would be less an issue. No don't do it. No don't do it. Don't give up a multi-thousand dollar processor for momentary blue screens.... I guess I'll try it. Noooooooooooooooooooh.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
rudolpht is offline  
post #9479 of 42981 Old 10-13-2007, 10:26 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Tim Winders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Levelland, TX
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht View Post

This seems to indicate it is the res changes, not HDMI specific.

Maybe Anthem can work this. They do know about the issue from several folks.

I Hate to think about going fixed 1080i. No don't do it. No don't do it. If Tivo menus were 1080i it would be less an issue. No don't do it. No don't do it. Don't give up a multi-thousand dollar processor for momentary blue screens.... I guess I'll try it. Noooooooooooooooooooh.

I'm thinking it's the res change and not an HDMI issue. I'll be if I put the THD on native resolution with component connections, I'd see the same blue screens. Just a hunch, but not sure I want to rip apart everything just to test this when I have it working.

Fortunately for me, most, if not all, of the HDTV programming I watch is 1080i native. So, leaving the THD in 1080i fixed mode isn't a problem. I only get the THD doing scaling on it's own menus and on 480i SD content. That content is usually so "bad" anyway, I don't think there would be an appreciable difference between the D2 doing the scaling and the THD. And if there is, I don't know if it's worth the blue screen headaches.

Now, if there was significant (any?) 720P HDTV content I wanted to watch, I might be willing to deal with the blue screens so not to have the THD monkeying with the signal.

Yeah, it would be nice if the D2 could haven't resolution changes better. I haven't seen how other video processors handle this to make a comparison.

=== Tim
Tim Winders is offline  
post #9480 of 42981 Old 10-13-2007, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
drhankz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht View Post

If Tivo menus were 1080i it would be less an issue.

Tim - Now I have yet another reason to LIKE my (5) SONY DVRs

All the menus are 1080i. I can't imagine a brain dead unit
sending 1080i Video and then Low-Resolution Menus. That
is 1990 technology
drhankz is online now  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off