Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 346 - AVS Forum
First ... 344  345  346 347  348  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide
cargen's Avatar cargen 01:38 PM 12-19-2007
I have both a regular NON-rack mount Anthem D2 and a regular NON-rack mount Anthem A5 mounted in my Middle Atlantic rack. See my photo attached.

They are both mounted on standard middle atlantic shelves concealed by vented spacer panels. I purchased some rubber washers to use a shunts under legs to manage height of each component. Works fine. Looks fine.

Chris

cargen's Avatar cargen 01:42 PM 12-19-2007
Whoops! Tried to attach a jpg photo to the above, but it didn't work. If anyone wants me to email a photo, send me a PM.

Chris
|M|B.M.F.'s Avatar |M|B.M.F. 03:23 PM 12-19-2007
Hi all... i just added a pioneer plasma to the mix... a 5010 kuro...looks great. Question... i seem to remember that the "data " setting under video output in the menu should be set to a specifc output such as RGB or 4,4,4, etc. rather than than just AUTO? Is that still the case? Am i getting this confused with another setting such as color input HDTV vs. SDTV?

Also, if anyone with a 5010 and a D2 want to comment on the best setting please chime in.

-Bob
cecaa850's Avatar cecaa850 03:59 PM 12-19-2007
Here's how I've got mine rackmounted.

Jim E.'s Avatar Jim E. 05:12 PM 12-19-2007
Ok, the word from Anthem is they'll sell the dealer a rack-mount kit ($75/pair)on a case-by-case basis for the 19-1/4 version but it takes a little work to install.

The swap is performed by removing the top cover and loosening screws under face to tilt face forward. The handles can now be unbolted/installed.

If you have the 17-1/4 version of the D2 it needs to go back to the factory for a complete faceplate swap. I'm told it's cost prohibitive.

HTH
abc999's Avatar abc999 06:19 PM 12-19-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post

Saw your rack, but how do you keepout the noise from the XLS402's, they have dual fans at the rear and I just can't stand fan noise. If you close the rack, how can you control the D2? Unless , you have a Pronto or the like.
ninja12's Avatar ninja12 06:09 AM 12-20-2007
I am in the process of replacing my current receiver, RX-V2500, with the Anthem D2. I would like to get it by February 2008. I was wondering if you know if Anthem has any changes in the near future for the D2 or if they will be coming out with a D3. If so, then I will just wait if I can. I really don't know if I can wait much longer since I had a chance to listen to it and go through all the menus. It was me and the D2 for 2 hours in the store. The sound was spectacular as well as the picture. Anyway, if you know about any near future changes for the D2 or a new D3 coming out, could you please let me know. As always, your response is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
drhankz's Avatar drhankz 06:21 AM 12-20-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post

Cool - THOSE Rank Handles look JUST LIKE the ones I made

Where the D2 is so close to all those Crowns - I'm surprised
you don't have a heat problem. I made sure my D2 had open
space all around it.
mr_fitz's Avatar mr_fitz 06:25 AM 12-20-2007
Just ordered my RS-1 to go with my D2

Finally gonna get the great picture to go with the fabulous sound.

John
cecaa850's Avatar cecaa850 06:58 AM 12-20-2007
As far as the fan noise from the crown go, I clipped off the shrouds on the back of the cases and replaced the fans with some 14dB bearingless Enlobal fans. The room has to be dead silent to hear them. As far as the heat goes, if you notice on top of the D2 there's a black box on the right side. It contains a fan that pulls heat off the top and exhausts it out the rear. On the rear of the unit on top rear, you can barely see the top of one of the 2 exhaust fans. They are the same fans that I used in the Crowns except I've slowed them down with a resistor to make them even quieter. The 3 cooling fans are on a triggered outlet in the Furman and turn on and off via the 12V trigger signal outputed by the D2. The whole thing runs very cool to the touch, just slightly warmer than ambient temperature and is very quiet.

cecaa850's Avatar cecaa850 07:01 AM 12-20-2007
One question that I just realized I missed. Even though the front doors are not clear, you can still use the remotes for the D2 and (not pictured) XA2, Oppo and 94HD. The only drawback is that you can't actually read the front of any of the components but the remotes work just fine.
gdc's Avatar gdc 09:01 AM 12-20-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja12 View Post

I am in the process of replacing my current receiver, RX-V2500, with the Anthem D2. I would like to get it by February 2008. I was wondering if you know if Anthem has any changes in the near future for the D2 or if they will be coming out with a D3. If so, then I will just wait if I can. I really don't know if I can wait much longer since I had a chance to listen to it and go through all the menus. It was me and the D2 for 2 hours in the store. The sound was spectacular as well as the picture. Anyway, if you know about any near future changes for the D2 or a new D3 coming out, could you please let me know. As always, your response is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

No D3 on the horizon, and the only change to the D2 is a room EQ feature that existing users can upgrade to in the field (apparently being beta tested currently). So go ahead and do the right thing!
Jim E.'s Avatar Jim E. 03:43 PM 12-20-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdc View Post

No D3 on the horizon, and the only change to the D2 is a room EQ feature that existing users can upgrade to in the field (apparently being beta tested currently). So go ahead and do the right thing!

And I suggest that he pulls the trigger quickly since Anthem (and Paradigm) just announced another price increase for 2008 which is supposedly somewhere between 8-12%!

The alleged culprit is the weakened U.S. dollar.
ninja12's Avatar ninja12 04:02 PM 12-20-2007
gdc and Jim E,

Thanks for the info. Do you guys know when the price is going to increase in 08? Will it be before February 08?
randman's Avatar randman 04:37 PM 12-20-2007
Quote:

gdc and Jim E,

Thanks for the info. Do you guys know when the price is going to increase in 08? Will it be before February 08?

Get it earlier and treat yourself to an X'mas present!
Jim E.'s Avatar Jim E. 05:09 PM 12-20-2007
Quote:

gdc and Jim E,

I was informed that it will take effect January 1, 2008 and I assume the price list is on its way. I'll let you guys know as soon as I hear/see it.
ninja12's Avatar ninja12 05:42 PM 12-20-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post

Get it earlier and treat yourself to an X'mas present!

Well, it will be a post Christmas present. I just need to make sure that I order it before the price increase.
ninja12's Avatar ninja12 05:44 PM 12-20-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim E. View Post

I was informed that it will take effect January 1, 2008 and I assume the price list is on its way. I'll let you guys know as soon as I hear/see it.

Ok. Well, I guess I will be placing my order either tomorrow or early next week. Thanks again Jim.
mlbrand's Avatar mlbrand 07:04 AM 12-21-2007
I'm considering upgrading my HD-DVD player, to the A30 or A35. The High Bit Rate audio output option of the A35 is of NO benefit to D2 owners, correct?
drhankz's Avatar drhankz 07:13 AM 12-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbrand View Post

I'm considering upgrading my HD-DVD player, to the A30 or A35. The High Bit Rate audio output option of the A35 is of NO benefit to D2 owners, correct?

RIGHT

What is IMPORTANT is Internal Decoding Done by the PLAYER.
randman's Avatar randman 08:25 AM 12-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

RIGHT

What is IMPORTANT is Internal Decoding Done by the PLAYER.

Yes, I also opted for the HD-A30, since the HD-A35's additional features were of no use to me (and in the future, when they might be of use, it would be about time to upgrade to a newer HD-DVD player anyway). FYI, for you PS3 owners, there's a new firmware upgrade that supports Blu-Ray Profile 1.1:

http://www.audioholics.com/news/indu...ay-profile-1.1

I got my PS3 a little over a year ago, and I'm very happy how Sony continually comes out with firmware upgrades to enhance its Blu-ray capabilities. If I had bought a standalone Blu-ray a year ago, it would be out of date already.
drhankz's Avatar drhankz 08:29 AM 12-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post

FYI, for you PS3 owners, there's a new firmware upgrade that supports Blu-Ray Profile 1.1:

I JUST turned my PS3 Off. I'll have to go back online
now and update

Thanks for the heads up.
Kensmith48's Avatar Kensmith48 09:08 AM 12-21-2007
Just wanted to clarify something:
I can only use the component in's & out's on my present dvd player, the D2, and rptv and I can only do 480p. If I purchase an upconverting or a hd player can I send 1080i from the hdmi in-out of the D2 and hd or upconverting dvd player out to the rptv with component?
Rob Tomlin's Avatar Rob Tomlin 09:11 AM 12-21-2007
Quote:

I JUST turned my PS3 Off. I'll have to go back online
now and update

Thanks for the heads up.

But you don't use a GAME CONSOLE to play movies in your HOME THEATER, right?!
drhankz's Avatar drhankz 09:27 AM 12-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

But you don't use a GAME CONSOLE to play movies in your HOME THEATER, right?!

I have three theaters.

I do use the PS3 for movies in one of them.
rudolpht's Avatar rudolpht 09:47 AM 12-21-2007
Quote:

I have three theaters.

I do use the PS3 for movies in one of them.

Yes, it's embarrassing that you have an incredibly capable Profile 1.1 player in one of your THREE (amazing) home theaters (which plays video games, tangentially) when I have no Profile 1.1 players in either my home theater or family room. . How dare you. . (Kicking myself for returning my PS3, but glad I didn't grab a 94 or 95HD to replace my HD1).

Happy holidays all
DrTim
drhankz's Avatar drhankz 10:10 AM 12-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht View Post

Yes, it's embarrassing that you have an incredibly capable Profile 1.1 player in one of your THREE (amazing) home theaters (which plays video games, tangentially) when I have no Profile 1.1 players in either my home theater or family room. . How dare you. . (Kicking myself for returning my PS3, but glad I didn't grab a 94 or 95HD to replace my HD1).

Happy holidays all
DrTim

I really only have the PS3 for gaming - but the
fact that it plays movies in Theater #2 is and OK thing

Merry Christmas
christiandumas's Avatar christiandumas 10:24 AM 12-21-2007
I'm still waiting for my D2 purchase, (trying to avoid buying on credit).
Just to keep me focus, i would like some news about the coming upgrades, specially the room EQ; is it still in testing, is it working good, ?

Another question; I live in Quebec, with a good canadian dollar right now, would you consider it risky to buy in the US instead of Canada, I'm close to vermont ? I know i save somme $ but what about support, it seems I can find everything right here!

Thank's
(love this thread)
gdc's Avatar gdc 10:39 AM 12-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiandumas View Post

I'm still waiting for my D2 purchase, (trying to avoid buying on credit).
Just to keep me focus, i would like some news about the coming upgrades, specially the room EQ; is it still in testing, is it working good, ?

Another question; I live in Quebec, with a good canadian dollar right now, would you consider it risky to buy in the US instead of Canada, I'm close to vermont ? I know i save somme $ but what about support, it seems I can find everything right here!

Thank's
(love this thread)

The only upgrade on the horizon is the room EQ. It was apparently in beta testing recently. No word on when it will ship, but it has to be soon. Anyone who has actually heard it is probably bound by non-disclosure agreement to say nothing, so there really is no information available.

Many of us expect the EQ to meet or exceed the Audyssey system, for ~$300! It is highly anticipated.

You might call Anthem or a dealer and ask if buyng in the US presents a problem with warranty and support.

There is a price increase (8-10%) going into effect Jan 1st. I didn't notice if that is US prices only, but nevertheless you might want to get the purchase done quickly!
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 10:46 AM 12-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensmith48 View Post

Just wanted to clarify something:
I can only use the component in's & out's on my present dvd player, the D2, and rptv and I can only do 480p. If I purchase an upconverting or a hd player can I send 1080i from the hdmi in-out of the D2 and hd or upconverting dvd player out to the rptv with component?

No. If the content coming in to the D2 over HDMI is copy protected (which will be the case for essentially all commercial DVD discs) then only the HDMI, processed videdo outputs of the D2 will be live. See Section 2.1 of the manual.

However if you are playing HD-DVD or Blu-Ray discs then you will find you CAN, at least today, get high res video out of the player over Component and the D2 will then process that further for its Component output. Please note that both the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray specs include a mechanism for this to be turned off on a disc by disc basis if any given disc producer decides to do so, but so far no discs have been sold that prohibit that, and there is no reason to believe any studio will start prohibiting it any time soon on new discs.
--Bob
Tags: Receivers Amplifiers
First ... 344  345  346 347  348  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop