post #10441 of 42973 Old 12-28-2007, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

The problem with taming peaks and dips is that they are not constant throughout the room. That -15db dip at 45hz in the front row might be a +5 db peak in the back row. Moral of the story is you can only do so much electronically, you will still need to treat your room for optimal results. One encouraging aspect of the upgrade is that the EQ software takes reading at several positions and not just the listening spot.

Ditto. SPeaker placement and careful work to tame 1st/ 2nd order reflections and controlling reverb time will go further than any electronic advice to help a room's sound. EQ is best employed after the fundamentals are well under control. Don't expect EQ / room correction to turn your system into a reference system in a live room with poor speaker placements and and big room modes..

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10442 of 42973 Old 12-28-2007, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

The problem with taming peaks and dips is that they are not constant throughout the room. That -15db dip at 45hz in the front row might be a +5 db peak in the back row. Moral of the story is you can only do so much electronically, you will still need to treat your room for optimal results. One encouraging aspect of the upgrade is that the EQ software takes reading at several positions and not just the listening spot.

You are quite right about that, obie.

Ben
post #10443 of 42973 Old 12-28-2007, 12:48 PM

I am seeing red banding and thousands of red dots when using HDMI to my H79 projector. I started getting this noise issue about three months ago. I am having this problem with both my HR20 Direct tv HD sat box as well as with the Oppo 970hd Dvd player. It looks fine with component but every time I change the channel I loose the video. So; its either loss of resolution and change channels using HDMI or nice video until I change the channel using component. Any thoughts?
post #10444 of 42973 Old 12-28-2007, 03:30 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewolf1 View Post

I am seeing red banding and thousands of red dots when using HDMI to my H79 projector. I started getting this noise issue about three months ago. I am having this problem with both my HR20 Direct tv HD sat box as well as with the Oppo 970hd Dvd player. It looks fine with component but every time I change the channel I loose the video. So; its either loss of resolution and change channels using HDMI or nice video until I change the channel using component. Any thoughts?

This sounds like a marginal HDMI cable problem. Make sure your HDMI plugs are fully inserted straight into their sockets. Even the weight of the cable can loosen them enough to cause problems. Since you are using a projector, you may be running into length issues for that HDMI cable, or signal degradation through wall plates/adapters. Try temporarily setting your output resolution to 480p and see if the problem goes away when running that lower bandwidth video. If so, try upgrading/shortening your cable.

Also, see if you can reproduce the problem using the Anthem's internally generated video (the Setup menus and the test patterns in the Video Source Adjust menu under the "7" key). If so, then you know the problem is entirely on the output side of the Anthem, and not related to any issue with your source devices or their cabling. If not, then check your input cabling as well.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #10445 of 42973 Old 12-28-2007, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there any concern using hollow point RCA interconnects like the Eichmann Bullets with the AVM50? It seems to me that I read that I should not use them for either my Anthem or Simaudio Titan power amp, but I can't find anything in the manuals regarding this, so I'm not sure where I read it. Anyone hear this before?

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

Click here for pic of my 2 channel system.

post #10446 of 42973 Old 12-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

I see ghosting of white text on black background now that I do not think I saw before adding the D2 to my Dwin TV3. Anyone else?
FREAK!

3X SUPERBOWL CHAMPION PATRIOTS!
post #10447 of 42973 Old 12-28-2007, 06:25 PM

Hello all,

I'm a frequesnt reader of this thread but rarely post.

I've had an Anthem D2 for about 13 months now (love it) and just did my 2nd firmware upgrade to version 1.21d.

Everything seemed to go well but now I get no picture to my Pioneer Elite.
I realized, after the upgrade, that I failed to save my previous video setting in video editior. I tried to set video 1 and 2 settings using the panel display of the D2 but still can not get sync to my display. I tried doing the upgrade again but still no luck.

The native res of my display is 1365 X 768 so I'm using that as my output but I've also tried 1080i with no luck. I have a very upset wife who is missing her shows and I don't wan to miss the Patriots game tomorrow.

Any ideas????

I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.
post #10448 of 42973 Old 12-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doright View Post

Hello all,

I've had an Anthem D2 for about 13 months now (love it) and just did my 2nd firmware upgrade to version 1.21d.

I realized, after the upgrade, that I failed to save my previous video setting in video editior. I tried to set video 1 and 2 settings using the panel display of the D2 but still can not get sync to my display. I tried doing the upgrade again but still no luck.

The native res of my display is 1365 X 768 so I'm using that as my output but I've also tried 1080i with no luck. I have a very upset wife who is missing her shows and I don't wan to miss the Patriots game tomorrow.

Any ideas????

Most likely it is something simple like a loose cable.

Power off the D2 with the remote. Then also power it off with the back panel switch. Double check your input and output cables (both ends). Power things up and see if you can get the internally generated D2 video to show on your display (Setup menu and Video Source Adjust/Patterns under the "7" key). The internally generated video is independent of any input source. Double check that you have the correct input selected on your display as well.

If you don't get video, go into Setup / Video Output and select 480p for the D2 output (the simplest signal to send to your display). Remember that you have to "accept" any changes in that menu before they will actually take effect.

If you still don't get video, try hooking up Component cables from the Main Component output to your display. Again, stay with 480p for now. Again this is likely to be something simple so don't overlook obvious stuff like you are using the remote controls incorrectly.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #10449 of 42973 Old 12-28-2007, 07:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Hello all,

Any ideas????

Did you save off the file to the computer or depending on style save to a user setting on the front panel (or by computer), which may have survived the upgrade.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #10450 of 42973 Old 12-28-2007, 07:24 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicafreak View Post

I see ghosting of white text on black background now that I do not think I saw before adding the D2 to my Dwin TV3. Anyone else?
FREAK!

Check the video internally generated by the Anthem -- the Setup menus and the various panels of the Video Source Adjust menu (under the "7" key). These are independent of any input source, and can help you isolate whether the problem is on the input or output side of the Anthem.

If you are seeing "haloing" at contrasty vertical edges, then that just means you have somehow turned up Sharpness (vertical edge enhancement) too high -- either in your display or in the Video Source Adjust / Picture menus of the Anthem (for each input), or in the output menus of your source devices.

You will also get unwanted edge enhancement if you accidentally select the wrong "picture mode" in your display or in your sources. Re-read the "Video Calibration for non-ISF Techs" post found in the collection of links in the first post of this thread for reminders about how to set things up properly.
--Bob

post #10451 of 42973 Old 12-28-2007, 08:31 PM

Bob,

Thanks for the suggestions.
It ended up being an HDMI switch that I use between my display and my overhead projector. I had to unplug it and plug it back in.

The problem I'm having now is that the 1366X768 setting on "Video 1" produces no picture on my Plasma (it's a 60" Elite). If I set the output at 1080i I get a good picture.

Is this what I should be using? Or should the native resolution work?

post #10452 of 42973 Old 12-29-2007, 01:56 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Bob,

Thanks for the suggestions.
It ended up being an HDMI switch that I use between my display and my overhead projector. I had to unplug it and plug it back in.

The problem I'm having now is that the 1366X768 setting on "Video 1" produces no picture on my Plasma (it's a 60" Elite). If I set the output at 1080i I get a good picture.

Is this what I should be using? Or should the native resolution work?

Good job figuring out the switch was the problem.

Not every display will accept its true native resolution as a valid input resolution. You need to check the owner's manual for your display. If it won't accept it's native resolution (or something quite close to it) then try the 2 standard HDTV resolutions (720p and 1080i) and see which looks better when the display scales that to its native resolution internally. Also look for issues such as excessive loss of pixels around the edges of the image. If you can't see a difference, then use 720p to your 768p display so that the display's internal de-interlacer and scaler has the least amount of work to do.

If your display IS supposed to accept that 768p resolution as input, but it isn't working, then you may need to set up some custom video output timings using the Anthem Live Video Settings Editor application.
--Bob

post #10453 of 42973 Old 12-29-2007, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Bob, will do.
Anyother little problem, I have lost the ability to see the setup menu on my HDMI fed display. I only get the blue screen.
FREAK!

3X SUPERBOWL CHAMPION PATRIOTS!
post #10454 of 42973 Old 12-29-2007, 07:17 AM

Thanks for the info Bob! I have connected the hdmi cable directly from the projector to the HR20 with no degradation so I suspect I have an AVM50 problem. I do notice a note on startup saying the video is muted due to hdcp and I wonder this has any affect? I do have a 12' length on my hdmi cable and a wall plate. I did not have any problem for about a year til recently so unless hdmi is acting differently it appears to be with the AVM50. I will try the 480p sugesstion and see if it helps.
DJ
post #10455 of 42973 Old 12-29-2007, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks Bob, will do.
Anyother little problem, I have lost the ability to see the setup menu on my HDMI fed display. I only get the blue screen.
FREAK!

Oh no.

Sounds to me like this is becoming a more common problem.

Do you get the setup menu occasionally, or never?
post #10456 of 42973 Old 12-29-2007, 01:16 PM

I know you can display the number of channels and the sampling rate of digital audio on the D2's front panel and OSD. Is there a way to see the bit depth? I have a new blu-ray player (Sony BDPS-500) and want to ensure I'm getting the most out of the new audio codecs.

thx guys
post #10457 of 42973 Old 12-29-2007, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
AFAIK there is no way to see the bit depth, although I and others have requested that function a few times in the past.
post #10458 of 42973 Old 12-29-2007, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblack View Post

I know you can display the number of channels and the sampling rate of digital audio on the D2's front panel and OSD. Is there a way to see the bit depth? I have a new blu-ray player (Sony BDPS-500) and want to ensure I'm getting the most out of the new audio codecs.

thx guys

A little confused by how you think an OSD of bit depth will help ensure that you are getting more out of the codecs..... but I think the Sony will show you that information, and the D2 isn't truncating the PCM words over HDMI.

You can safely assume if you are listening to anything 96k (either PCM or decoded Ture HD, or DTS 96) it will be 24 bit... afaik, there hasn't been a piece of professional gear that can produce 16/96...
post #10459 of 42973 Old 12-29-2007, 09:13 PM

thx FilmMixer. The Sony doesn't decode DTS-MA. I have a BR movie encoded in that format. Sending bitstream sends the 1.5kbps stream to my D1-HD. Sending PCM shows 6-CH 48KHz. Is that what the core DTS audio file gets decoded as into LPCM? (which I believe the sony BR player will do with DTS-MA)
post #10460 of 42973 Old 12-30-2007, 06:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks Bob, will do.
FREAK!

Well I hope you didn't miss te undefeated season last game in HD on 4 networks.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #10461 of 42973 Old 12-30-2007, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by funlvr1965 View Post

I am getting an error that says " VIDEO PROCESSOR uC FLASH programming failed(error code = 0x3066660a) I have tried several times to reflash, all other areas of the 1.21d firmware upgrade process seems to work except this last part, seems that this is an important part of the process, I havent [/b]even tried to see if my unit will work yet, any ideas?

well after unsuccesfully trying to load 1.21d Anthem sent me ver 1.20 which loaded successfully, the blue screens that I previously got when switching inputs previously never really bothered me since I would only get bluescreen/snow once or twice however now after the 1.20 update im getting more snow and bluescreens switching inputs, any one know if there is any difference between 1.20 and 1.121d?oh and by the way clicks and pops continue randomly.

Also is Anyone using the D2 with an anamorphic lens? I thought once I put the Anthem in anamorphic mode it would fill out the screen but I am still having to use the vertical crop feature in the scaler to get rid of the black bars,is this normal? also the vertical crop numbers needed to get rid of the black bars on the hdvd input are different than the input I have my ps3 on which makes me wonder if im losing tons of vertical resolution (I know you lose some in a scope setup) I have been using it this way ever since I started my scope setup using the D2 but im not sure if this is the correct way to get the desired anamorphic strech using the D2.
post #10462 of 42973 Old 12-30-2007, 08:58 AM

I have a question about Bluray/HDDVD being output from the D2 to a 720P projector. Given the spectacular picture I'm getting from my standard DVD's being upscaled by the D2, am I likely to see a significant improvement by adding a Blu ray player to this setup? (I'm thinking of the PS3 but mainly for movies). Or would I be better off waiting until I upgrade my PJ to a 1080P model before getting into the Bluray/HDDVD players?

Assuming that the there is a noticeable improvement, would you send the D2 the full resolution (1080P) from the Blu ray and then let the scaler downgrade the output to 720P? I'm guessing that's the best way.

One other question; what is the fan noise level like on the PS3? I have a very quiet HT room and a noisy fan would be a deal breaker.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
post #10463 of 42973 Old 12-30-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by learflyer View Post

I have a question about Bluray/HDDVD being output from the D2 to a 720P projector. Given the spectacular picture I'm getting from my standard DVD's being upscaled by the D2, am I likely to see a significant improvement by adding a Blu ray player to this setup? (I'm thinking of the PS3 but mainly for movies). Or would I be better off waiting until I upgrade my PJ to a 1080P model before getting into the Bluray/HDDVD players?

Assuming that the there is a noticeable improvement, would you send the D2 the full resolution (1080P) from the Blu ray and then let the scaler downgrade the output to 720P? I'm guessing that's the best way.

One other question; what is the fan noise level like on the PS3? I have a very quiet HT room and a noisy fan would be a deal breaker.

As a recent Blu-Ray buyer and owner of a 720p TV (768P plasma actually), I can definitely say there is a marked improvement in picture quality over DVD. So no need to wait for a 1080P projector. Put another way, a BR player with your current 720P projector will give a much better picture than your existing upconverted (by the D2) DVD player and a 1080P projector.

Whether you can see the difference of 720P and 1080P is a function of how close you sit to your screen and what the screen size is. For example my 50" TV from 10' away, the human eye can't discriminate the difference between 720P and 1080P.

As for how to hook up, yes, have the BR-player output "Source Direct" picture. Meaning if a BR disc is in, it will output 1080P, if a DVD is in the player it will output 480i and then use the scaler in the D2 to scale to your projectors NR. Also, you want the player to output BR movies as 24 FPS (which Source Direct mode will do). Then your D2 will perform the pull-down to make it 60 FPS for your projector.

As for fan noise, the newer (40 and 80 Gig) PS3's use a newer chipset that and run cooler than the original PS3. That being said, before I bought my BR player, a buddy lent me his PS3 and I couldn't hear it while watching a movie - and his is the original 60Gig model that runs hotter.
post #10464 of 42973 Old 12-30-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblack View Post

As a recent Blu-Ray buyer and owner of a 720p TV (768P plasma actually), I can definitely say there is a marked improvement in picture quality over DVD. So no need to wait for a 1080P projector. Put another way, a BR player with your current 720P projector will give a much better picture than your existing upconverted (by the D2) DVD player and a 1080P projector.

As for fan noise, the newer (40 and 80 Gig) PS3's use a newer chipset that and run cooler than the original PS3. That being said, before I bought my BR player, a buddy lent me his PS3 and I couldn't hear it while watching a movie - and his is the original 60Gig model that runs hotter.

Thanks for the quick response. Will likely head out to the stores and see if there are any PS3's left in the city.
post #10465 of 42973 Old 12-30-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hello all. Took a month hiatus from the forum... have actually been WATCHING movies. Go figure. ;-)

Read that last months worth of posts. Doesn't look like I've missed anything. No new firmware updates and Room EQ still isn't shipping.

I did get an 80GB PS3 from Xmas which I've told my family is ONLY for playing Bluray movies. So far they are going for it. :-) Oh, it's running Folding@Home also.

We got a Wii for games. It's in the playroom connected to a 42" plasma which we mounted to the wall with a full motion mount. My wife wants to put the Wii, DVD player and VCR in the corner, opposite from the TV. I had to get a way to get video from everything to the TV. The simplest seemed to run a single long HDMI cable so I bought an inexpensive receiver with HDMI ports... got the Integra 5.8 for this tast. Unfortunatley, audio wouldn't pass over HDMI to the TV so I had to connect a pair of cheap speakers I had available. Will add more speakers later.

In the main theater room, haven't experimented much with Bluray. I play to watch Cars tonight. Supposed to be reference quality. Did get the Harry Potter deluxe box set on BR. We watched some choice scenes and everyone agrees it's not much different than we had before. My oldest son's comment is "Bluray is a ripoff". LOL. Speaks volumes for how good the D2 actually is!

Also got a Harmony 880 remote. Wow. I'm impressed. Highly recommended!
post #10466 of 42973 Old 12-31-2007, 11:01 AM

Why can't I get my component video to work on my main output. I am running version 1.2 on my D2. Up to date, I have been running HDMI as my main output to my display - JVC RS-1.

So, for my video output 1 configuration on the D2, I selected component 1080i/60 - no display. I must be doing something obviously wrong - and yes - I did change the input signal on the JVC to component. I did NOT make any other changes on the D2 - someone please tell my what I am doing wrong. Much Thanks, DD
post #10467 of 42973 Old 12-31-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Just the D2 (with it's extra "horsepower").

Does anyone know if upgraded D1's will be able to use the microphone upgrade? That will really affect the price of used D1's.

Anthem D2-ARC with Sunfire Signature Stereo - Series II, Sunfire Cinema Grand, Seaton Submersive F2, B&W Matrix 802 S3, Matrix 805, Matrix HTM, B&W CDM 7NT
post #10468 of 42973 Old 12-31-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Good job figuring out the switch was the problem.

Not every display will accept its true native resolution as a valid input resolution. You need to check the owner's manual for your display. If it won't accept it's native resolution (or something quite close to it) then try the 2 standard HDTV resolutions (720p and 1080i) and see which looks better when the display scales that to its native resolution internally. Also look for issues such as excessive loss of pixels around the edges of the image. If you can't see a difference, then use 720p to your 768p display so that the display's internal de-interlacer and scaler has the least amount of work to do.

If your display IS supposed to accept that 768p resolution as input, but it isn't working, then you may need to set up some custom video output timings using the Anthem Live Video Settings Editor application.
--Bob

Bob,

Well I thought it was the HDMI switch but apparently it's not.
Since the upgrade I've had problems syncing to my display - especially when the D2 is cold. So I completely removed the switch and thought everything was Ok. This afternoon I turn on the system and no display.

I have 2 Tivo boxes hooked up, one via HDMI and the other one component. I have a single HDMI cable going directly to the Plasma.

I was able to go into setup, using the s-video connection to my plasma, and tried a few different resolutions. When I switched it back to the way it was I finally got a picture (after about 15 minutes of playing with it).

This upgrade really messed things up. Any other ideas?

post #10469 of 42973 Old 12-31-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airboyd View Post

Does anyone know if upgraded D1's will be able to use the microphone upgrade? That will really affect the price of used D1's.

There's no reason why not. A D1-HD is identical to a D2.
post #10470 of 42973 Old 12-31-2007, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by learflyer View Post

OH YEAH, you will notice a BIG difference in HD-DVD and Blu-ray on a 720p projector! ( assuming you are not seated unusually far from an unusually small projector screen). There are a few HD movies that didn't convert very well, but most of them look far better than the SD version, especially on a bigger screen you typically have with a projector. I have a D2 and a 720p projector shooting to a 126" diagonal 2.37 screen, and it's NIGHT and DAY better! And yes, output 1080p to the D2, and native 720p to your projector. Lastly, I have a 40g PS3 and it is very quiet.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page