6Likes

post #10621 of 43099 Old 01-09-2008, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Is Windows XP truly the minimum? Firmware installs and the editor applications still run on Windows 98 for example.
--Bob

Bob, I was just passing on the spec but I would venture a guess and say Win 98 should work just fine.

Are you seriously still using Win 98???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10622 of 43099 Old 01-09-2008, 06:52 PM

I've been reading this thread on and off and the addition of room eq is enough to sway me towards buying a D2. Will the room eq feature be standard on the next round of D2's or is there a newer model on the horizon? I am going to try to find an Anthem dealer in the next few weeks to audition a D2.

Does anyone have an Anthem dealer near them that has one set up in a theater? The nearest to my home is 70 miles and is more than likely just a dealer. They wont have one in stock. I travel constantly and would like to find a dealer that has them in stock and in use in a respectable set up.

Thanks,

Ross

**Disclaimer** The information provided above is my opinion.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10623 of 43099 Old 01-09-2008, 06:56 PM

Liked: 11
I just applied the 1.21d firmware update to my AVM-50. It did everything I was hoping it would. I love the dual video output configuration. It also fixed my 1080p24 issue with my HD-A30.

The only thing is, now when I view the AVM-50 setup menu, the picture is all garbled up. It has diagonal black, red, and blue lines that are flickering. I can still read the menus, and video of my source signals are fine. It is only the menus.

Any ideas?

Thanks again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10624 of 43099 Old 01-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim E. View Post

Bob, I was just passing on the spec but I would venture a guess and say Win 98 should work just fine.

Hey, I'm a Mac user! I said it was an OLD PC....
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #10625 of 43099 Old 01-09-2008, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross E View Post

I've been reading this thread on and off and the addition of room eq is enough to sway me towards buying a D2. Will the room eq feature be standard on the next round of D2's or is there a newer model on the horizon? I am going to try to find an Anthem dealer in the next few weeks to audition a D2.

Does anyone have an Anthem dealer near them that has one set up in a theater? The nearest to my home is 70 miles and is more than likely just a dealer. They wont have one in stock. I travel constantly and would like to find a dealer that has them in stock and in use in a respectable set up.

Thanks,

Ross

I am sure many D2 owners would invite you into there house to see the D2 in action.
post #10626 of 43099 Old 01-09-2008, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

LOL! As soon as I know they've released it you guys will be the first to hear the news.

Of course your best bet is to purchase it from your local dealer.

And you are NOT our INTERNET DEALER?
post #10627 of 43099 Old 01-09-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

And you are NOT our INTERNET DEALER?

Sort of. A more accurate statement would be that I'm a dealer on the internet.
post #10628 of 43099 Old 01-09-2008, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:

Sort of. A more accurate statement would be that I'm a dealer on the internet.

There you go a Man who Switches Words
post #10629 of 43099 Old 01-09-2008, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Considering getting a Blue Ray player (at least now that Warner has announced going with BR), and since the Anthem doesn't decode the new audio formats, I'm wondering what player I should be considering with internal decoding of DTS-MA and Dolby True HD so that the Anthem can receive and output the signal. What do I need to look for in order for it to work with the Anthem?

Click
for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and
for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

Click
for pic of my 2 channel system.

post #10630 of 43099 Old 01-09-2008, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post

Considering getting a Blue Ray player (at least now that Warner has announced going with BR), and since the Anthem doesn't decode the new audio formats, I'm wondering what player I should be considering with internal decoding of DTS-MA and Dolby True HD so that the Anthem can receive and output the signal. What do I need to look for in order for it to work with the Anthem?

I went with the Sony Playstation 3 for my bluray player. I thought the idea was crazy at first, but it really has some cool options, and lots of power. It seems to be one of the few players that can be upgraded to 2.0 via a firmware.

Michael
post #10631 of 43099 Old 01-09-2008, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

I went with the Sony Playstation 3 for my bluray player. I thought the idea was crazy at first, but it really has some cool options, and lots of power. It seems to be one of the few players that can be upgraded to 2.0 via a firmware.

Michael

Does it decode the new audio formats that I asked?

Click

Click

post #10632 of 43099 Old 01-09-2008, 08:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post

I'm wondering what player I should be considering with internal decoding of DTS-MA and Dolby True HD so that the Anthem can receive and output the signal.

From word at CES, both Pioneer and Sony are due to come out with players in 2008 that decode all the advanced audio codecs (including TrueHD and DTS-MA). No time frame or price given.

In the mean time, Panasonic has a new player almost ready to ship. It not only decodes all the codecs internally but it has Blu-ray's final profile (2.0 - BD Live) for interactivity. Price is rumoured to be around $699.

There's a thread about it in the BD hardware section of the forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=970806

Sanjay

Sanjay
post #10633 of 43099 Old 01-09-2008, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Denon and Marantz also announced players that will internally decode MA and TrueHD, albeit still BD profile 1.1
post #10634 of 43099 Old 01-09-2008, 09:58 PM

Here's a question for all the PS3 owners out there. Has anyone tried to play the latest Harry Potter movies on Bluray? I borrowed two of them from my neighbour last weekend and tried to play them on my PS3, but couldn't get a picture other than a few brief flashes at the beginning. Then nothing but the blue screen of death. Thje sound track was coming through ok but no picture. The rest of the night was a complete disaster with every other video component causing nothing but grief with HDMI handshakes. It took a complete power down of all my equipment everytime I switched from one source to another.

The bluray discs were brand new - I watched him take the shrink wrap off the box before he gave me the discs. The discs came with a warning that they might not play on older Bluray players without a firmware update. My PS3 had been updated less than 24 hours before trying to watch the discs. My neighbor tried them last night and he had no trouble playing them on his much older PS3 although he doesn't have HDMI which I suspect is the problem.

My D2 is less than 2 months old and is, I believe, running version 1.2 firmware. If anyone else is experiencing trouble with watching new Bluray discs on their PS3 / D2 combo I'd like to hear about it and any fixes you have found. I bought the PS3 for its Bluray capabilities and am sure this is just a glitch but if I can't get it work I'll need to take it back and try a standalone player.

RW
post #10635 of 43099 Old 01-10-2008, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

From word at CES, both Pioneer and Sony are due to come out with players in 2008 that decode all the advanced audio codecs (including TrueHD and DTS-MA). No time frame or price given.

In the mean time, Panasonic has a new player almost ready to ship. It not only decodes all the codecs internally but it has Blu-ray's final profile (2.0 - BD Live) for interactivity. Price is rumoured to be around $699.

There's a thread about it in the BD hardware section of the forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=970806

Sanjay

According to CNET, the Panny does not decode the audio formats:

http://reviews.cnet.com/video-player...-32730548.html

Click

Click

post #10636 of 43099 Old 01-10-2008, 04:03 AM

Your link is for the BD30 which is available now and not the new BD50.

troy
post #10637 of 43099 Old 01-10-2008, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 73
All the HDM player info can be found in their respective forums. Please lets try to restrict this to player->D1/D2/AVM50 issues. Thanks.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #10638 of 43099 Old 01-10-2008, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCWolfPck View Post

I just applied the 1.21d firmware update to my AVM-50. It did everything I was hoping it would. I love the dual video output configuration. It also fixed my 1080p24 issue with my HD-A30.

The only thing is, now when I view the AVM-50 setup menu, the picture is all garbled up. It has diagonal black, red, and blue lines that are flickering. I can still read the menus, and video of my source signals are fine. It is only the menus.

Any ideas?

Thanks again.

That's interesting. Others, including myself, have had problems with seeing setup text on the display. There is known issue with the s-video "circuitry" that causes problems with the setup menu because s-video is used to generate the text. However, this issue seems to be more prevalent since 1.21d. I do know they slightly modified some clocking to fix the "crackling with mch PCM audio" bug, but don't know if the changed clocks would affect the s-video or other video sections. It may just be conincidental also.

Once thing to try is connect a s-video source and see how it works.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #10639 of 43099 Old 01-10-2008, 06:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by learflyer View Post

Here's a question for all the PS3 owners out there. Has anyone tried to play the latest Harry Potter movies on Bluray? I borrowed two of them from my neighbour last weekend and tried to play them on my PS3, but couldn't get a picture other than a few brief flashes at the beginning. Then nothing but the blue screen of death. Thje sound track was coming through ok but no picture. The rest of the night was a complete disaster with every other video component causing nothing but grief with HDMI handshakes. It took a complete power down of all my equipment everytime I switched from one source to another.

The bluray discs were brand new - I watched him take the shrink wrap off the box before he gave me the discs. The discs came with a warning that they might not play on older Bluray players without a firmware update. My PS3 had been updated less than 24 hours before trying to watch the discs. My neighbor tried them last night and he had no trouble playing them on his much older PS3 although he doesn't have HDMI which I suspect is the problem.

My D2 is less than 2 months old and is, I believe, running version 1.2 firmware. If anyone else is experiencing trouble with watching new Bluray discs on their PS3 / D2 combo I'd like to hear about it and any fixes you have found. I bought the PS3 for its Bluray capabilities and am sure this is just a glitch but if I can't get it work I'll need to take it back and try a standalone player.

RW

I have a PS3 and D2. We have played all the BR discs from the HP ultimate BR collection, no problem.

|
post #10640 of 43099 Old 01-10-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

That's interesting. Others, including myself, have had problems with seeing setup text on the display. There is known issue with the s-video "circuitry" that causes problems with the setup menu because s-video is used to generate the text. However, this issue seems to be more prevalent since 1.21d. I do know they slightly modified some clocking to fix the "crackling with mch PCM audio" bug, but don't know if the changed clocks would affect the s-video or other video sections. It may just be conincidental also.

Once thing to try is connect a s-video source and see how it works.

larry

I don't have an s-video cable long enough to reach my projector (which is hooked up via HDMI only from the AVM-50 monitor out). I was just making sure that I wasn't missing a setting somewhere. It's not the end of the world for me as I'm not in the menus very often....it's just one of those nagging things. Hopefully it'll get fixed in a future update.

post #10641 of 43099 Old 01-10-2008, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What info did he give you?

I'm not going to pass on information that I believe is inaccurate. I would like info as to Price and Availability of the room correction system, though.

He who laughs last...Thinks slowest.
post #10642 of 43099 Old 01-10-2008, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No sound card is needed.

Both a serial and a USB port are needed along with windows XP.

If you've used a USB to serial adapter that has worked in the past then that should work to cover the serial connection to the D2.

HTH

Sure makes me happy I bought a PC card serial adapter for my tablet PC. With all the flaky USB-Serial adapters out there (I've had to buy 3 different ones to get them to work with various components), it's worked much better for me. That being said, the Keyspan USB-Serial adapter that Anthem suggested works just fine for the D2.

He who laughs last...Thinks slowest.
post #10643 of 43099 Old 01-10-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Jim, sorry to bother you about operating systems but one more quetion should do it, at least as far as Windows is concerned...Have you heard whether the Room EQ software will run in Windows Vista?

mark

Life's a Beach,
or at least it was supposed to be.

post #10644 of 43099 Old 01-10-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzzdoc View Post

I'm not going to pass on information that I believe is inaccurate. I would like info as to Price and Availability of the room correction system, though.

THe range of prices that's being thrown around is $350-400 but to my knowledge, no final price has been disclosed to the dealers.

Availability is still up in the air a but but not less tha 4 weeks at a minimum.
post #10645 of 43099 Old 01-10-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmw View Post

Jim, sorry to bother you about operating systems but one more quetion should do it, at least as far as Windows is concerned...Have you heard whether the Room EQ software will run in Windows Vista?

mark

Still waiting to hear from the powers that be.

Will follow-up.

Jim
post #10646 of 43099 Old 01-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross E View Post

Thanks,

Ross

Yeah, I've found that not all Anthem dealers necessarilly have the D2 setup. I've had good luck with 6th Avenue Electronics, a chain in New Jersey having them on display with the Paradigm Statement speakers and a projector. So, if you're in the area, you can check them out. They're a chain store, not an independent mom&pop dealer (I got an ok deal from them, but I can usually squeeze out a few more percentage discount from independent dealers, at least from my experience).
post #10647 of 43099 Old 01-10-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCWolfPck View Post

I don't have an s-video cable long enough to reach my projector (which is hooked up via HDMI only from the AVM-50 monitor out). I was just making sure that I wasn't missing a setting somewhere. It's not the end of the world for me as I'm not in the menus very often....it's just one of those nagging things. Hopefully it'll get fixed in a future update.

I meant s-video out from DVD player or Tivo to D2. See if D2 can display s-video input via HDMI to your PJ properly. If it can't, it's a symptom of the problematic s-video board/circuits. The s-video circuit feeds the HDMI output - just like how the OSD is displayed. Once the D2 is setup, it's not bad. But, going through a new setup - like when ARC arrives - can be a pain.

larry

post #10648 of 43099 Old 01-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Did you ask the Anthem CES guys about any new products slated for later this year?
--Bob

No, I was just too darn excited about the room correction to ask about anything else. The room was packed for the demo's which ran every 20 mins or so. It was interesting that they chose an Oppo for standard def stuff and the Play Station for Blu Ray.

Another interesting but off topic observation: I didn't see a single room that had cable elevators, and power cords were often entangled with ICs and speaker cables. Yeah, it is just a show, but you'd think that if the esoteric cable management stuff could make an audible, difference........

With my system, In my room, to my ears......
post #10649 of 43099 Old 01-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
So how does this room eq work? I understand for your $400 you get a widows download and a microphone.
Does the computer need to be connected to the D2 during the room eq, as it does for D2 software upgrades, via a serial port rs-232 cable?
Does the micophone connect to the computer or the D2?
Is the room correction done automatically?
Can the room eq be set up for different speaker configurations? I use my cd's in 'analog dsp' for stereo w/subs, my sacd's in '6 ch', and movies in 7.2. Can the d2 be set up for different eq's for different speaker configuations?
If anyone has actually seen the Anthem room eq in action could you please enlighten me.
Tom

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #10650 of 43099 Old 01-10-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

I meant s-video out from DVD player or Tivo to D2. See if D2 can display s-video input via HDMI to your PJ properly. If it can't, it's a symptom of the problematic s-video board/circuits. The s-video circuit feeds the HDMI output - just like how the OSD is displayed. Once the D2 is setup, it's not bad. But, going through a new setup - like when ARC arrives - can be a pain.

larry

Yeah, I realized that shortly after I posted. Funny thing, when I got home and powered it up today....everything worked fine. I must have just needed a restart?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page