post #10891 of 42948 Old 01-27-2008, 07:09 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja12 View Post

I just received my new D2 a couple of days ago. I have completed my set, and it was pretty smooth. I do have a couple of questions.

Q1) Is the Main Audio Out (balanced and unbalanced) available at the same time? For example, if I connect FL-balanced to a balanced connection on one amp, can I also connect FL-unbalanced to an unbalanced connection on a different amp?

Q2) I have a Mitsubishi Diamond 65831 which is capable of doing split screen. My TV has a cable card which is used for doing split screen. In order for me to do split screen, will I need to use Video Configuration 2? Also, should I use a component connection for split screen since I am using HDMI for Video Configuration 1? I apologize if I am sounding a little confused here; but, I am confused. So, if you can shed some light on the split screen scenario here, I will truly appreciate it.

The balanced and unbalanced outputs of the Anthem are live at the same time. If you have a reason to want to hook up a combination of them, feel free to do so. Be aware that the balanced and unbalanced outputs for any given channel differ by a fixed dB level in output volume due to historic, technical reasons that have become standardized.

Doing split screen means that your TV has to receive two different video signals. If your cable card does that, then that means it essentially feeds two, distinct cable TV tuners.

The Anthem has only one signal path for processed video. So it can only feed one processed video signal at a time to your TV.

This is a common problem. Split screen stuff in modern TVs seldom works well with external video sources.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10892 of 42948 Old 01-27-2008, 07:14 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottshd View Post

just up graded my display and can"t get hdmi to work I have a pioneer pro-150 fd plasma denon 3930-ci dvd player and direct tv standard for now. I can"t get any picture on display thru hdmi only with s-video hooked up hdmi from dvd to tv and that works so problem is in the d2 running firmware ver. 1.20 which came with it.settings source setup b.vid out confg. 1 c.scaler input hdmi 4 d.comp. in none e d-video in dvd f. comps. in none g. audio in dig hdmi h. auto dig yes i. hdmi map auto repeater no also tried yes video out settings tried different resulutions didn't help when I exit the setup screen the picture flashes on for a second and then nothing in the video source adj.#7 key says no video signal thanks for any help scott

Scott, check the "Video Calibration for non-ISF Techs" post found in the collection of links in the first post of this thread. It is likely something simple.

Focus first on seeing if you can get the Anthem's own, internally generated video to display on your TV -- i.e., the Anthem Setup menus and the test patterns found in the Video Source Adjust menu (under the "7" key).

If you can get that working, then you know the output side of your Anthem setup to the TV is correct and you can then focus on the input side settings in your sources and the Anthem.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #10893 of 42948 Old 01-27-2008, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bob thanks for the quick response. If I un hook the s-video cable I get a blue screen and in#7 screen info it says no video signal so I can only get the test patterns. If I leave the s-video cable hooked the tv shows a black screen and in #7 it is in black and white info s-video in 720x480i 59.94hz when I exit setup menu I get a flash of picture and sometimes a flash of blue and green screens and then back to black
post #10894 of 42948 Old 01-28-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

There are HDMI repeaters intended for what you originally thought. It was a reasonable question.

larry

I wish Anthem would revise their manual and provide more explicit information on a lot of the features that the D2 offers. As it is, most of the comments are so cryptic, like that on the HDMI Repeater - "If an HDMI input is assigned correctly yet it doesn't work, try this setting to 'No'." Seems the manual assumes all users are technically savvy guys. For comparison, people like Rotel really do provide an excellent manual for their products. They bother to explain why such a setting is necessary and its resultant effects.

Having said that, I think the latest edition of the manual (1.3x) is a slight improvement over the previous one. For instance, Aspect Ratio Control is now well illustrated with pictorial examples.

Perhaps they should engage Bob Pariseau to rewrite their manuals.

Ben
post #10895 of 42948 Old 01-28-2008, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Winders View Post

I installed 1.29j and haven't seen any of the problems you mention.

Neither have I. On the contrary, there is definitely an improvement to the picture on my Sony CRT - fantastic colors and no more loss of display which used to plague me when using ver 1.11.

Ben
post #10896 of 42948 Old 01-28-2008, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

I would buy a manual if Bob Pariseau wrote it.
post #10897 of 42948 Old 01-28-2008, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfm View Post

Was wondering if anyone has successfully updated their D2 using the 1.29j beta firmware?

I was currently running the 1.21d beta which worked reasonably well except for the following issues:

- JVC 5U D-VHS won't handshake with the D2 via hdmi... when no tape is playing things are fine (480i) but attempting to play either a HD (1080i) or SD (480i) tape they refuse to talk (endless loop of a few seconds of picture, few seconds of blue screen, few seconds of an error screen from the JVC stating that it is not connected to a device capable of HDCP). So I use component.

- switching between 480i and 720p/1080i channels from the cable box or Tivo is problematic... sometimes it works and sometimes not (blue screen or video but no audio)... switching input on the D2 away and then back usually fixes things.

So I thought I would try 1.29j to see if these issues are addressed or better but the first attempt resulted in the following issues:

- osd messed up... text okay but the background was a rainbow of colors along with some "twittering"

- for all devices connected via component I no longer had any video!

Hdmi appeared to be okay (but the problems with 1.21d remain). So I switched back to 1.21d but, yikes, had the same issues as with 1.29j (messed up osd and component video not working). So then I switched back to 1.29j but this time could get no audio/video out of the D2 regardless of what I tried!

It took several more attempts at loading 1.21d before things returned to normal (osd display okay and component video working)... Was worried for a bit but things are working now as they were before I tried 1.29j the first time.

Is it normal for these firmware loads to be so non-deterministic? I believe I follow the instructions to the letter (even used the flash erase tool in between when trying to restore) but it took a couple of attempts before things became normal again.

I had no issue with loading 1.29j. Have you reset all the setting to default before doing the upgrade? Have you unplug all the HDMI sources?
post #10898 of 42948 Old 01-28-2008, 10:44 AM

On the OSD screen I had the rainbow and jittering. I turned the D@ off then back on and all was fine. Everything else is fine...
post #10899 of 42948 Old 01-28-2008, 10:51 AM

How do I get a copy of the 1.29j update?
post #10900 of 42948 Old 01-28-2008, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnisiv View Post

How do I get a copy of the 1.29j update?

Send a request to Nick at Anthem support.
post #10901 of 42948 Old 01-28-2008, 11:10 AM
sfm

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolstoi View Post

I had no issue with loading 1.29j. Have you reset all the setting to default before doing the upgrade? Have you unplug all the HDMI sources?

Sorry... forgot to mention that. I am using the same PC (XP with true serial port) that I have always used to apply firmware to the D2 (which I have had since July of 2006). I have installed and tested every beta firmware since 1.11 on without these types of issues. I reset to factory defaults, unplug all hdmi cables, install the firmware, turn on and let sit for 30 seconds and then turn off and plug everything back in.

Perhaps I'll give it another go again to see if I can get it to take. It did take several attempts to restore 1.21d properly... perhaps the same persistence is required to get 1.29j to install correctly.
post #10902 of 42948 Old 01-28-2008, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by benleeys View Post

I wish Anthem would revise their manual and provide more explicit information on a lot of the features that the D2 offers. As it is, most of the comments are so cryptic, like that on the HDMI Repeater - "If an HDMI input is assigned correctly yet it doesn't work, try this setting to 'No'." Seems the manual assumes all users are technically savvy guys. For comparison, people like Rotel really do provide an excellent manual for their products. They bother to explain why such a setting is necessary and its resultant effects.

Having said that, I think the latest edition of the manual (1.3x) is a slight improvement over the previous one. For instance, Aspect Ratio Control is now well illustrated with pictorial examples.

Ben

I've talked to Nick many times and it's not out of the question that he would forward well written and correct "pieces" to their documentation folks. Wrt HDMI repeater in the manual I can see why they didn't want to get into EDID explanations and the unlimited combinations of issues that can happen.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #10903 of 42948 Old 01-28-2008, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The balanced and unbalanced outputs of the Anthem are live at the same time. If you have a reason to want to hook up a combination of them, feel free to do so. Be aware that the balanced and unbalanced outputs for any given channel differ by a fixed dB level in output volume due to historic, technical reasons that have become standardized.

Doing split screen means that your TV has to receive two different video signals. If your cable card does that, then that means it essentially feeds two, distinct cable TV tuners.

The Anthem has only one signal path for processed video. So it can only feed one processed video signal at a time to your TV.

This is a common problem. Split screen stuff in modern TVs seldom works well with external video sources.
--Bob

Bob, thanks for the reply.

I do have another question. When I do split screen, I see the TV program from my cable box, and I also see the TV program from my cable card. My TV is taking the HDMI input for the cable box, and it's using the cable card too to show the second program. Is there any way I can tell the D2 to just take the audio feed I'm sending from the TV back to the D2 instead of trying to process the video? I have a digital audio cable connected from my TV back to the D2 digital audio for SAT. Should I connect the digital audio to another input that does not require any video processing?
post #10904 of 42948 Old 01-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Ben

I can't seem to find anything in the manual regarding the ADC, other than on p.36. I'd love to see how its going to work when it finally comes out.
post #10905 of 42948 Old 01-28-2008, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

I wish Anthem would revise their manual and provide more explicit information on a lot of the features that the D2 offers.

How about Anthem post their existing manual in a wiki format somewhere, and let registered users edit it? Given the user communities interest in the Anthem, I bet the manual would get really good really quickly.

Alex
post #10906 of 42948 Old 01-28-2008, 06:11 PM

Bob or anyone I still can"t get hdmi to my tv pioneer pro-150 tryed changing all settings and the same thing happens. when I exit the setup menu the picture flashes on for a second or two and then blank screen again. I can get #7 key menu on but its only in black and white.think possibly the hdmi output on the d2 is bad or do I still have something set wrong? I"ll try and call anthem tomarrow. thanks for any replies scott
post #10907 of 42948 Old 01-28-2008, 06:12 PM

wow. Posting manuals in wiki....Great idea; 'course what would hapen to AVSFORUM.com.........
post #10908 of 42948 Old 01-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Bob or anyone I still can"t get hdmi to my tv pioneer pro-150 tryed changing all settings and the same thing happens. when I exit the setup menu the picture flashes on for a second or two and then blank screen again. I can get #7 key menu on but its only in black and white.think possibly the hdmi output on the d2 is bad or do I still have something set wrong? I"ll try and call anthem tomarrow. thanks for any replies scott

Scott,
It could be a bad cable (or a cable that is too long) or it could be a bad HDMI output from the Anthem or input in the TV.

If the TV has more than one input, try the other input.

The easiest way to check the Anthem is with another HDMI TV -- perhaps at your Anthem dealer. You won't need any sources or speaker connections hooked up to do that -- just use the internally generated Anthem video.

There have been a few cases where people had HDMI problems with the Anthem which were resolved by doing a complete power cycle of the Anthem. To do that, turn off the Anthem with the remote and then ALSO turn off the Anthem using the back panel switch. Wait a few seconds and turn things on again.

Try running the video at 480p to see if that works. 480p is the easiest resolution for an HDMI connection. If that works, and your normal (higher) resolution does not work, then that suggests a cabling problem. Remember that whenever you make any changes in the Anthem's Setup / Video Output menu, you will have to "accept" these changes before they actually take effect.

If these suggestions don't help then working with Anthem tech support is your best option.
--Bob

post #10909 of 42948 Old 01-28-2008, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the replt Bob already tried everything you suggested other than a different tv. Cable is 7ft. and worked fine from dvd player straight to tv. One more question is it possible to output from the d2 in component to tv if I"m not useing any component cables into any d2 inputs? tried running component cables from d2 main out to tv component in and could"t get that to work either.
post #10910 of 42948 Old 01-28-2008, 07:21 PM
Read the FAQ!

You can set up S-video or Component cabled inputs to produce Component output from the D2. You can not set up HDMI inputs to produce Component output due to copy protection on HDMI.

That said, you shouldn't be using ANY input sources at this point. Concentrate on getting the Anthem's own internally generated video to show up on your display. That can be done with either the Component or HDMI Anthem outputs. Until you can get that working, adding in source devices just complicates things to no good end. Your best bet until you know you have the Anthem output side working correctly with your TV is simply to select an Anthem input that has nothing connected to it.
--Bob

post #10911 of 42948 Old 01-28-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the replt Bob already tried everything you suggested other than a different tv. Cable is 7ft. and worked fine from dvd player straight to tv. One more question is it possible to output from the d2 in component to tv if I"m not useing any component cables into any d2 inputs? tried running component cables from d2 main out to tv component in and could"t get that to work either.

If you haven't upgraded to version 1.29j you shoud give it a shot.

If you don't have it just PM me with an email address that can accept zipped files that include .exe files.

Make sure you reload factory defaults before you upgrade the software.

Jim
post #10912 of 42948 Old 01-28-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by work permit View Post

How about Anthem post their existing manual in a wiki format somewhere, and let registered users edit it? Given the user communities interest in the Anthem, I bet the manual would get really good really quickly.

That... is an awesome idea.
post #10913 of 42948 Old 01-28-2008, 08:33 PM

thanks again Bob when I select a input with nothing connected and go to #7 key menu comes on in full color. input with source #7 back&white. go into setup menu and exit picture for a second or two thanks for your help. I"ll see if anthem can figure it out for me scott
post #10914 of 42948 Old 01-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

thanks again Bob when I select a input with nothing connected and go to #7 key menu comes on in full color. input with source #7 back&white. go into setup menu and exit picture for a second or two thanks for your help. I"ll see if anthem can figure it out for me scott

OK this is progress.

If, with no input video selected, you can view the Setup menu on your TV, and if you can view the Video Source Adjust menu on your TV, and both of those look correct, then the output side of your setup is in good shape.

Now, if the video is going away when you select an HDMI source then the problem is on the INPUT side off your Anthem setup.

First, go into Setup / Source Setup for that HDMI input and confirm that you have HDMI Repeater = NO selected.

Then, with that input still selected, bring up the Video Source Adjust menu again, go to the Output panel, and make sure you have Frame Lock = OFF selected.

Then go to the Info panel of the Video Source Adjust menu and report what it is showing for video input and output.

If you are using software version 1.12 or later there are TWO Video Output configurations which can be separately set up and then assigned to each input. Make sure you have selected the Video Output configuration you actually want to use in Setup / Source Setup for the Anthem HDMI input which is failing.

If you are using an HDMI input, then you must also use the HDMI output from the Anthem. The processed Component video output from the Anthem will be muted (black) when you select just about any HDMI input source.

Carefully review your Setup / Video Output settings and your Setup / Source Setup settings for the input which isn't working. Post them here if you would like.
--Bob

post #10915 of 42948 Old 01-28-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by work permit View Post

I don't think Anthem would take to this idea with any amount of enthusiasm. It would not do their corporate image any good to show the world that they are not capable of producing a manual worthy of their world class product.

Ben
post #10916 of 42948 Old 01-29-2008, 05:32 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Greetings,

I installed the 1.29j beta on Friday. I powered everything up and my AVM-50 would not handshake/synch with my projector. I recycled power on the AVM-50 twice with no luck.

I re-installed the update again and this time it synched no problem. The following day I powered everything up and same thing. I cycled power on the AVM-50 and it synched.

Sunday it worked fine. Yesterday morning it would not synch so again I cycled power on the unit and it synched up. Last night it worked fine.

This morning I powered everything up and no synch. I cycled power 3 times on the unit and nothing. I powered it off and disconnected power and still nothing.

I re-installed 1.21d and it worked fine.

I had no issues with 1.21d. I can remember having a problem like this intermittently prior to 1.11 (I believe) but it was only every now and then.

This will not do.

I will give Nick a call today.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #10917 of 42948 Old 01-29-2008, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Any update on the room correction?
post #10918 of 42948 Old 01-29-2008, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

Any update on the room correction?

Soon!
post #10919 of 42948 Old 01-29-2008, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfm View Post

Sorry... forgot to mention that. I am using the same PC (XP with true serial port) that I have always used to apply firmware to the D2 (which I have had since July of 2006). I have installed and tested every beta firmware since 1.11 on without these types of issues. I reset to factory defaults, unplug all hdmi cables, install the firmware, turn on and let sit for 30 seconds and then turn off and plug everything back in.

Perhaps I'll give it another go again to see if I can get it to take. It did take several attempts to restore 1.21d properly... perhaps the same persistence is required to get 1.29j to install correctly.

It should work. Contact Nick at Anthem he will be able to help. 1.29j is a beta software and it is essential to pass back to him any issues with it.
post #10920 of 42948 Old 01-29-2008, 06:42 AM

Just wondering if there has been any fix yet for the clicks and pops when watching BD movies on my ps3 hooked up hdmi to my D2?

John
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page