Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 370 - AVS Forum
First ... 368  369  370 371  372  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide
PooperScooper's Avatar PooperScooper 02:27 PM 02-06-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by slots1 View Post

I own a four year old gateway laptop which has a serial port and usb.
I assume I do not need the usb to serial converter. I can just go serial to serial on the d2 and gateway.
But, I am still on 1.11 and I am having no problems. So I figure I will wait until the ARC is available.

If it's not broke, don't fix it. The direct serial port should work just fine when you need to load new firmware or save/edit settings.

larry

Kensmith48's Avatar Kensmith48 02:29 PM 02-06-2008
I tried some different settings today with the D2, Pioneer 710, and the Sony S7000. I have everything hooked up with component cables. I set the D2 at 480i & 480p, and also the 1920x180 60hz settings Everything else in between didn't work (lost video). I'm assuming the higher settings are passing thru since the picture didn't improve.
The only question I have now is: Do I set the D2 at 480i and let it scale it to 480p, or do I just set the D2 at 480p. The Sony player is only capable of 480i.
gdc's Avatar gdc 02:40 PM 02-06-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensmith48 View Post

I tried some different settings today with the D2, Pioneer 710, and the Sony S7000. I have everything hooked up with component cables. I set the D2 at 480i & 480p, and also the 1920x180 60hz settings Everything else in between didn't work (lost video). I'm assuming the higher settings are passing thru since the picture didn't improve.
The only question I have now is: Do I set the D2 at 480i and let it scale it to 480p, or do I just set the D2 at 480p. The Sony player is only capable of 480i.

Set your D2 output for 480p. It will do a better job of deinterlacing than the vast majority of equipment available.
esander3's Avatar esander3 05:16 PM 02-06-2008
wabbit636,

I sent you a personal note. I own an AVM-50 and would be interested in your Audyssey if you decide to sell it. Please check your personal notes for my note with email address. Thanks

esander3
etrexler's Avatar etrexler 05:42 PM 02-06-2008
I just received my new D2 today and have a few questions.

Foolish me, I cannot find a way or any mention of bi-amp/bi-wiring capability in the Anthem. I have the D2 and A5 Amp, but nothing is mentioned regarding bi-amp/bi-wiring capability. My old Pioneer receiver supported taking the read channels and outputting a full front l/r signal to them so I assumed that the ANthem did also.

Finally, OSD (on screen display) was working, but is now not working after I made a few changes. Any idea what they could have been? All HDMI to a Pioneer Pro-FHD1 monitor and I can see the screen color change and also the bottom information on the screen, but the OSD setup is not functioning.

Thanks,

Eric
ninja12's Avatar ninja12 05:48 PM 02-06-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolstoi View Post

Please report this problem to Anthem. It is essential that all problems be reported to Anthem this is the only way they could be aware of them and work on a resolution.

Yes, I have been exchanging e-mails with tech support at Anthem. They have told me several things to try. The bottom line is that I might have to find a computer that has a serial port on it. Do they even make computers with serial ports on them anymore? I haven't seen one of those in years. Will Anthem come up with a better way to apply firmware updates in the future other than using serial port?
ninja12's Avatar ninja12 05:51 PM 02-06-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranle View Post

Once I got that error I had to to use the flash eraser (multiple time) until it succeed cleanly to remove all traces of the half downloaded firmware. Then took the D2 next to my other pc which has a real serial port which then successfully flashed the new firmware.

Yes, the tech from Anthem told me to use the flash eraser before I try to update the firmware again.
ninja12's Avatar ninja12 05:53 PM 02-06-2008
Thanks for the info. I will check them out.
chas's Avatar chas 06:48 PM 02-06-2008
I have posted in the past about my video problems (no video on startup one third of the time--apparently no HDMI handshake). The problems continued in spite of all efforts and after trying suggestions from this forum and Anthem support.

Anthem support finally sent me a file to interrogate my D2--Video Board Questioner 1.02. I used the same technique as firmware upgrade--laptop via serial to D2.

The Questioner asked Question 1 and Question 2 (no details of the questions were disclosed). My D2 answered to #1: No. No.; to #2 Yes.

When I transmitted this info, they replied that I had a hardware problem and I have shipped the unit to them.

Does anyone have any idea what this means? I'd have to say that I thought my unit worked fine with 1.11 and I only noticed problems after installing 1.21d.

My installer gave me an Integra DTC-9.8 as a loaner--I have to say I'm very impressed...

C.
Milt99's Avatar Milt99 07:12 PM 02-06-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolstoi View Post

The ARC-A is worth every penny it cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmabuse View Post

i second that!
/\\/\\

So do you guys have the ARC software up and running?
Anything details you can share? I assume if you could you would.

Someone mentioned a price of $300.
I'm not knocking Anthem but in the past, the early leaks on their pricing have always been cheaper than the reality.
My guess is ARC will cost $400 not $300.
Unclejeff's Avatar Unclejeff 07:54 PM 02-06-2008
I just got my new Anthem. The first problem was the 'Pink' and I contacted Anthem support. They instructed me to download the latest software...which turns out to be v1.11.

Now the Anthem talks to my NEC 50XM5 plasma through both component and HDMI but I can't get it to pass the signal from the source, be it Satellite or DVD.

The Anthem seems to register reception of the Satellite, with stereo light coming on but i can't pass signal along. Is there something I need to instruct the Anthem to do?

previously, even though 'Pink' I was able to get a signal from Satellite box to my plasma.

The connection is with a HDMI/DVI cable which I don't think is a problem as I can get the Anthem logo on the screen when I power up the Anthem.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 08:11 PM 02-06-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclejeff View Post

I just got my new Anthem. The first problem was the 'Pink' and I contacted Anthem support. They instructed me to download the latest software...which turns out to be v1.11.

Now the Anthem talks to my NEC 50XM5 plasma through both component and HDMI but I can't get it to pass the signal from the source, be it Satellite or DVD.

The Anthem seems to register reception of the Satellite, with stereo light coming on but i can't pass signal along. Is there something I need to instruct the Anthem to do?

previously, even though 'Pink' I was able to get a signal from Satellite box to my plasma.

The connection is with a HDMI/DVI cable which I don't think is a problem as I can get the Anthem logo on the screen when I power up the Anthem.

If your display is a DVI display, set Setup / Video Output/ Data Format to RGB rather than relying on the "Auto" setting. This should cure the "shocking pink" problem.

For your HDMI sources, set Setup / Source Setup / HDMI Repeater = NO and see if that gets the source happy again.

The latest software for the Anthem D2 is actually V1.29j, which is accessible only through a password protected web site, as opposed to V1.11 which is on the public web site. Anthem tech support would normally have sent you to the password protected site to get that version.
--Bob
Bigmoviefan's Avatar Bigmoviefan 10:29 PM 02-06-2008
Quote:

You got a Brand new Anthem D2 and it did not have the newest software update loaded into it? That doesn't sound right? Is Anthem really shipping new Anthem D2's without the newest software upgrades?
abc999's Avatar abc999 10:45 PM 02-06-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post

I have posted in the past about my video problems (no video on startup one third of the time--apparently no HDMI handshake). The problems continued in spite of all efforts and after trying suggestions from this forum and Anthem support.

Anthem support finally sent me a file to interrogate my D2--Video Board Questioner 1.02. I used the same technique as firmware upgrade--laptop via serial to D2.

The Questioner asked Question 1 and Question 2 (no details of the questions were disclosed). My D2 answered to #1: No. No.; to #2 Yes.

When I transmitted this info, they replied that I had a hardware problem and I have shipped the unit to them.

Does anyone have any idea what this means? I'd have to say that I thought my unit worked fine with 1.11 and I only noticed problems after installing 1.21d.

My installer gave me an Integra DTC-9.8 as a loaner--I have to say I'm very impressed...

C.

I had the same problem with my AVM50 before. Upgrading to 1.21 mess up everything and I could not revert back to older firmwares. since I am from the Philippines , it would be very expensive to ship back the unit, Anthem sent a new video board (through my dealer) with a NEW revision letter. It was pink in color different from the original greenish board. I believe that the firmware is not compatible with OLD boards .
work permit's Avatar work permit 12:34 AM 02-07-2008
Quote:

Strange. I just got my new Anthem as well, and it came installed with v1.30
Bigmoviefan's Avatar Bigmoviefan 12:53 AM 02-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by work permit View Post

That makes me feel better. I can't imagine Anthem is sending new D2's out to consumers with old software.
bluemark81's Avatar bluemark81 04:31 AM 02-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottshd View Post

ninja12 can"t help you with error message but I recently loaded 1.29j using a usb to serial adapter . I used a keyspan you can go to keyspan.com to find them

Do you know what the Keyspan model # is? I purchased the Keyspan USA-19HS through advice from Anthem, but the serial end does not fit the back of the Anthem because of the screw attachments on the Keyspan.
jkmw's Avatar jkmw 05:33 AM 02-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post

Do you know what the Keyspan model # is? I purchased the Keyspan USA-19HS through advice from Anthem, but the serial end does not fit the back of the Anthem because of the screw attachments on the Keyspan.

Bluemark81,

I'm using the USA-19HS with a serial male to female patch cord, (about 40' long as part of a permanently installed and routed attachment to a somewhat remote laptop). I seem to remember having a problem attaching the Keyspan to the patch cord, and the two PC adapter screws laying next to the laptop attest to this. As I remember it, I removed the two screws from the Keyspan.

FYI - My Keyspan adapter is about two years old and the firmware wasn't up to date. Anthem clearly states that the adapter's software Must be up to date. Keyspan provides a fairly seamless upgrade path which I was able to perform before I downloaded the new D2 firmware.

I found running a permanently attached patch cord allowed me Much greater ease of attachment. This also allowed me to use the Keyspan for other serial devices, like a serial barcode scanner for the movie collection, when it wasn't hooked up to the D2.

mark
PooperScooper's Avatar PooperScooper 05:34 AM 02-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by etrexler View Post

I just received my new D2 today and have a few questions.

Foolish me, I cannot find a way or any mention of bi-amp/bi-wiring capability in the Anthem. I have the D2 and A5 Amp, but nothing is mentioned regarding bi-amp/bi-wiring capability. My old Pioneer receiver supported taking the read channels and outputting a full front l/r signal to them so I assumed that the ANthem did also.

Finally, OSD (on screen display) was working, but is now not working after I made a few changes. Any idea what they could have been? All HDMI to a Pioneer Pro-FHD1 monitor and I can see the screen color change and also the bottom information on the screen, but the OSD setup is not functioning.

Thanks,

Eric

bi-wiring is just using speaker wire that essentially has 2 pair of speaker cables in one package minus one set of amp connectors. bi-amping or using more than one channel in the A5 for one speaker is an amplifier specific thing. Check the A5 manual or A5 threads here. If all else fails you can always just connect a Y-cable from 1 output on the D2 and feed 2 channels on the A5.

Your OSD problem could be a know issue with the D2 s-video circuitry. Try using a DVD player with s-video out into the D2 s-video input. See how well that works for 5-10 minutes. However, you may want to try resetting to factory defaults and try again.

larry
ninja12's Avatar ninja12 08:22 AM 02-07-2008
Quote:

I got my D2 at the beginning of January this year, and it has v1.21.
Unclejeff's Avatar Unclejeff 09:16 AM 02-07-2008
Bob, thanks for getting me to pause and carefully read the Email from anthem. I did not load the link to technical support so I quickly went to the main (public) anthem site and downloaded 'the latest software' which turned out to be version 1.11.

The result was total loss of any video transfer from my source to monitor.

Last night I got the right software loaded and component works really good but the HDMI is now bright green...looks like what happened way back when I tried to copy a DVD onto a VCR tape (macrovision effect).

Keeping in mind that I am using HDVI/DVI. Yes,I have it set to RGB. At 'prefer HDMI' I get the green and no component. At 'prefer component' I get component and still get the green. It only works with component from source (Satellite) to component to monitor (plasma).
ninja12's Avatar ninja12 10:30 AM 02-07-2008
I downloaded Flash Eraser from Anthem's website. When I try to run it, I get the following error: "Component 'MSCOMM32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.". I downloaded it by clicking on the disc icon instead of clicking on link4 which I believe will give me the same thing. Anyway, has anyone seen this error before, and what is this really telling me? Did Anthem forget to package something in the zip file?

If I can't get Flash Eraser to execute, will that be a big problem? The reason for me asking is because my past attempts to update the firmware to 1.29j has failed; but, I think that some of the update worked because I am seeing four Video Configurations now instead of two.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 10:30 AM 02-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post

As another poster mentioned, just remove those end pieces. This is typical of serial adapters. They come with two REMOVABLE female/female threaded pieces on each screw end so that they can be used with both styles of serial connection (i.e., if you are screwing the end of another serial cable into them you want female ends on the adapter's screws, and if screwing into a socket you want male ends on those screws). Just remove the little adapter pieces at the end of each screw.
--Bob
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 10:43 AM 02-07-2008
Quote:

Bob, thanks for getting me to pause and carefully read the Email from anthem. I did not load the link to technical support so I quickly went to the main (public) anthem site and downloaded 'the latest software' which turned out to be version 1.11.

The result was total loss of any video transfer from my source to monitor.

Last night I got the right software loaded and component works really good but the HDMI is now bright green...looks like what happened way back when I tried to copy a DVD onto a VCR tape (macrovision effect).

Keeping in mind that I am using HDVI/DVI. Yes,I have it set to RGB. At 'prefer HDMI' I get the green and no component. At 'prefer component' I get component and still get the green. It only works with component from source (Satellite) to component to monitor (plasma).

You want Preferred=HDMI for a DVI connection.

When using copy protected HDMI sources, the Anthem's Component outputs will be disabled as required by the copy protection licensing.

If you are seeing a video picture (i.e., not just a solid green screen) and it is colored either ghastly green or shocking pink, then you have a mismatch of "Data Format" -- usually on the output (display) side of the Anthem.

First, select an Anthem input that has no video source connected to it. Then press and hold the "7" key until the Video Source Adjust menu comes up. Then go to the Patterns panel and view the test bar patterns. The test bar patterns are generated internally in the Anthem and are independent of any source device. Use these to setup the output (display side) of your D2's settings and to adjust the settings in your display itself.

If you still have ghastly green when viewing these, then bring up the Setup / Video Output menu and try adjusting the Data Format setting manually instead of using the "Auto" setting. For a DVI display, RGB would normally be the one you want. But ghastly green imagery would imply that your display is actually expecting YCbCr 4:4:4 instead. Also check the manual for your display and look for a setting that configures its DVI input for use with home theater devices (instead of computers) as well as whether it has an RGB vs. YCbCr setting for that input.

Remember that settings in the Setup / Video Output menu will not take effect until you leave the menu and "accept" the changes.

Also remember that the new software you are using has multiple Video Output configurations and so you have to specify which one you want to use in the Setup / Source Setup menu for each input or you won't see the effect of any changes when viewing that input.

See the "Video Calibration for non-ISF Techs" post linked in the first post of this thread for more tips on video setup.
--Bob
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 10:49 AM 02-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja12 View Post

I downloaded Flash Eraser from Anthem's website. When I try to run it, I get the following error: "Component 'MSCOMM32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.". I downloaded it by clicking on the disc icon instead of clicking on link4 which I believe will give me the same thing. Anyway, has anyone seen this error before, and what is this really telling me? Did Anthem forget to package something in the zip file?

If I can't get Flash Eraser to execute, will that be a big problem? The reason for me asking is because my past attempts to update the firmware to 1.29j has failed; but, I think that some of the update worked because I am seeing four Video Configurations now instead of two.

You only need to use Flash Eraser if the previous (failed) attempt to load firmware left the Anthem in a state where it won't accept another firmware install.

If you can load a version of the firmware without error, then you are fine, even though you didn't run Flash Eraser in between.

So just try re-installing the firmware on top of the failed install. Do not skip any steps in the instructions. Do it as if you were doing it for the first time.

------------------------------

The error message means an optional component of the Windows operating system was not included when you did your Windows install (Visual Basic or something like that I suspect). I know it has been discussed in this thread but I can't recall which component is the one you need. The solution is to use your Windows install discs and tell it to add that component to your current Windows software. Try a search in this thread, or give Anthem tech support a call.

But again, you don't NEED to run Flash Eraser unless your Anthem was bricked by the failed firmware install so that it can't accept a new try.
--Bob
Unclejeff's Avatar Unclejeff 10:49 AM 02-07-2008
Bob;

Thanks, I will try this tonight.
ninja12's Avatar ninja12 12:05 PM 02-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

You only need to use Flash Eraser if the previous (failed) attempt to load firmware left the Anthem in a state where it won't accept another firmware install.

If you can load a version of the firmware without error, then you are fine, even though you didn't run Flash Eraser in between.

So just try re-installing the firmware on top of the failed install. Do not skip any steps in the instructions. Do it as if you were doing it for the first time.

------------------------------

The error message means an optional component of the Windows operating system was not included when you did your Windows install (Visual Basic or something like that I suspect). I know it has been discussed in this thread but I can't recall which component is the one you need. The solution is to use your Windows install discs and tell it to add that component to your current Windows software. Try a search in this thread, or give Anthem tech support a call.

But again, you don't NEED to run Flash Eraser unless your Anthem was bricked by the failed firmware install so that it can't accept a new try.
--Bob

Thanks Bob. I really appreciate your response. I will wait until my new serial cable comes in, and I will try it again.

BTW: I was sitting down at my computer and asking myself where can I get a computer that has a serial port on it. Well, the answer hit me right in my face. When I was booting up my desktop, Windows 2000 flashed on the screen. I was like "OH", I looked on the back of my desktop machine and found a serial port. It was there all the time. So, I have ordered a serial cable to reach to my D2 since my desktop is about 15ft away from my D2.

Anyway, once again Thanks!!! What would we do without you on this forum? Hope we don't have to find out.
Tolstoi's Avatar Tolstoi 01:21 PM 02-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

So do you guys have the ARC software up and running?
Anything details you can share? I assume if you could you would.

Someone mentioned a price of $300.
I'm not knocking Anthem but in the past, the early leaks on their pricing have always been cheaper than the reality.
My guess is ARC will cost $400 not $300.

Only one comment, be patient its coming.
Tolstoi's Avatar Tolstoi 01:22 PM 02-07-2008
Quote:

You got the latest software.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 01:38 PM 02-07-2008
It's beyond me why Anthem doesn't at least take the old software download and manual off the public site. It is good for nothing but confusion at this point.
--Bob
Tags: Receivers Amplifiers
First ... 368  369  370 371  372  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop