Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 379 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #11341 of 43496 Old 02-12-2008, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just installed my D2, after upgrading from the avm50. All went well, except I only get blue screen when trying to connect my pc to the d2 using a dvi to hdmi cable and/or adapter (as I tried using different cables and adapters to see if this would fix the problem). The pc works fine when using the dvi to vga adapter to hook up to my existing monitor, but the d2 can't seem to find it when set to tv, hdmi 3, which is the input location. What steps should I go through to isolate and fix the problem? I'm using a pretty fancy nvidia card with 2 dvi outs. The d2/marantz 15vp is a great combination.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11342 of 43496 Old 02-12-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

I doubt it is something Apple can FIX with Software

I'm afraid you may be right....more cable clutter. I think you'll agree that component level video/D2 combo isn't bad, and no issues of course with optical.

I primarily use the ATV for iTunes (Apple lossless) playback and viewing our accumulating cache of digital pictures that before went unenjoyed, but this could change depending on what Apple has on the horizon ahead for video. If you haven't already, check out iLounge for an early glimpse of ATV2 software......now back to our original program.....

Reject Passivity, Accept Responsibility,
Lead Courageously, Live for the Greater Reward

Rick
post #11343 of 43496 Old 02-12-2008, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalarsons View Post

I'm afraid you may be right....more cable clutter. I think you'll agree that component level video/D2 combo isn't bad, and no issues of course with optical.

I primarily use the ATV for iTunes (Apple lossless) playback and viewing our accumulating cache of digital pictures that before went unenjoyed, but this could change depending on what Apple has on the horizon ahead for video. If you haven't already, check out iLounge for an early glimpse of ATV2 software......now back to our original program.....

I have DVRs that I compared frame by frame between
Component at 1080i and HDMI at 1080i. I could not see
the difference.

I just bought my Apple TV when Apple announced HD
Movie Rentals. I'm still waiting for the software update
to enable that feature
post #11344 of 43496 Old 02-12-2008, 12:37 PM

The software update was released this am.
post #11345 of 43496 Old 02-12-2008, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorse4765 View Post

Yippee - I can't wait until tonight to turn my theater on
post #11346 of 43496 Old 02-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorse4765 View Post

Does anyone know if it solves the D2 HDMI issue?
post #11347 of 43496 Old 02-12-2008, 01:05 PM

From what I have read it only enables the download of movies from iTunes. Said nothing about any other updates.
post #11348 of 43496 Old 02-12-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschamis View Post

From what I have read it only enables the download of movies from iTunes. Said nothing about any other updates.
post #11349 of 43496 Old 02-12-2008, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschamis View Post

An iTunes SW update is not going to do anything with HDMI. '

Component out of the Apple TV looks just fine with a D2.
The Apple TV won't output more than 720p and the D2
does a great job converting that to 1080p.

==================================
I just did the Apple TV SW update - it takes at least 15
minutes will all the reboots. FYI
post #11350 of 43496 Old 02-12-2008, 01:45 PM

New D2 with v1.21, Set it up and saved User Settings. Great Video & Audio.

After making some changes in setup, I re-loaded the User Settings. Immediately the picture began to shake/jitter, horizontal lines and horizontal dots all across. All sources have the same problem, Audio is fine. I proceeded to disconnect my 3 HDMI sources and just put the OSD on screen. Still the same problem. Turn both TV & D2 OFF then back then back ON). Same problems on all sources and on OSD. To eliminate the TV, I connected the sources directly, problem gone (not the TV).

I contacted Anthem service via email and they recommended that I load v1.29k, which I did last night. Powered the D2 back ON after install and all is fine. New firmware loaded perfectly and version confirmed by Status.

I tuned off the D2 from the front panel and turn it back ON later to find that the video problem is the same as before. Proceeded to turn TV & D2 off (front panel) then back ON a few times. Same issue. I then powered Off the D2 (with the rear switch) and then back ON. Problem the same. I found that if I power Off the D2 (rear switch) for more than 5 minutes and then back on the video is fine. I can switch sources back & forth and video remains OK.

I also noted that if I change the Video Out Config from 1 to 2 (scrolling down in setup) the problem re-occurs (Config 2 is same as 1). The only way to get the D2 to perform is by powering it off for 5-10 minutes. The D2 is in the open so it is not a heat problem. I also tried different Video Out resolution to TV.

I re-loaded the v1.29k firmware but this has not resolved this issue. I tried to turn the TV ON way before the D2 of after the D2 w/o success.

Note that I had a loaned D2 (v1.2) for a few weeks prior to this w/o having any of those issues. My setup/components are identical.

Any recommendations/suggestions?

TV: Panasonic TH-65PZ750U (Output 1: NTSC, HDMI, 1920 x 1080p/60, Data: YCbCr 4:4:4) All HDMI sources have Repeater set to No.

All sources are HDMI
post #11351 of 43496 Old 02-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by buyrightlow View Post

Just installed my D2, after upgrading from the avm50. All went well, except I only get blue screen when trying to connect my pc to the d2 using a dvi to hdmi cable and/or adapter (as I tried using different cables and adapters to see if this would fix the problem). The pc works fine when using the dvi to vga adapter to hook up to my existing monitor, but the d2 can't seem to find it when set to tv, hdmi 3, which is the input location. What steps should I go through to isolate and fix the problem? I'm using a pretty fancy nvidia card with 2 dvi outs. The d2/marantz 15vp is a great combination.

A number of posters here have found the "DVI Detective" product, which I believe is from Gefen, helps solve such issues. The problem is usually EDID issues (i.e., passing the acceptable configuration info between the devices), and with PC cards this is often compounded by the fact that they like to change resolutions while coming alive.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11352 of 43496 Old 02-12-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

You may be the victim of "floating black levels" in your RPTV when the RGB input is used. If the TV is expecting that input to be used for computer output it may be automatically or accidentally changing the black levels according to the average signal brightness to give you more dynamic range. Not so much a problem if you are viewing the mostly static imagery from a computer.

To test this use a test chart which has moving black bars on one half of the screen and a solid gray patch on the other half of the screen where you can select different brightness levels of the solid gray patch from black to white. If you have floating blacks in the TV then the Brightness setting that is correct for the moving black bars when the gray patch is dark will not also work when the gray patch is light (i.e., when the average screen brightness varies because you are viewing a different brightness for that gray patch).

There may be a way in the display's service menu to disable that (assuming it is an option and not just a mistake). But I have no idea.

I also don't know why it would work OK for you at 480p but not at higher res.
--Bob

JoeC5 and Bob P, thanks for your replies. Just tried Pioneer tech support and there is no way to change this setup via the service menu or tweaking the set.

Bob, as you are the master of video settings for the Anthem, what would you recommend in this context where I have an HDMI cable leaving the Anthem to the HDFury and into an RGB input on the RPTV? I know I need to set the resolution to the native resolution of the RPTV but what about the other settings in Video Output? I've probably tried them all but I might have not tried all possible permutations!!

Andy
post #11353 of 43496 Old 02-12-2008, 02:24 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Pierre View Post

New D2 with v1.21, Set it up and saved User Settings. Great Video & Audio.

After making some changes in setup, I re-loaded the User Settings. Immediately the picture began to shake/jitter, horizontal lines and horizontal dots all across. All sources have the same problem, Audio is fine. I proceeded to disconnect my 3 HDMI sources and just put the OSD on screen. Still the same problem. Turn both TV & D2 OFF then back then back ON). Same problems on all sources and on OSD. To eliminate the TV, I connected the sources directly, problem gone (not the TV).

I contacted Anthem service via email and they recommended that I load v1.29k, which I did last night. Powered the D2 back ON after install and all is fine. New firmware loaded perfectly and version confirmed by Status.

I tuned off the D2 from the front panel and turn it back ON later to find that the video problem is the same as before. Proceeded to turn TV & D2 off (front panel) then back ON a few times. Same issue. I then powered Off the D2 (with the rear switch) and then back ON. Problem the same. I found that if I power Off the D2 (rear switch) for more than 5 minutes and then back on the video is fine. I can switch sources back & forth and video remains OK.

I also noted that if I change the Video Out Config from 1 to 2 (scrolling down in setup) the problem re-occurs (Config 2 is same as 1). The only way to get the D2 to perform is by powering it off for 5-10 minutes. The D2 is in the open so it is not a heat problem. I also tried different Video Out resolution to TV.

I re-loaded the v1.29k firmware but this has not resolved this issue. I tried to turn the TV ON way before the D2 of after the D2 w/o success.

Note that I had a loaned D2 (v1.2) for a few weeks prior to this w/o having any of those issues. My setup/components are identical.

Any recommendations/suggestions?

TV: Panasonic TH-65PZ750U (Output 1: NTSC, HDMI, 1920 x 1080p/60, Data: YCbCr 4:4:4) All HDMI sources have Repeater set to No.

All sources are HDMI

In your Video Output configuration, make sure Preferred = HDMI.

For each input, make sure Video Source Adjust / Output / Frame Lock = OFF.

Also try using the alternate setting for Video Output / Sync. The correct setting should produce a solid picture on your TV that requires essentially no horizontal repositioning.

If none of those does it, you may have a cabling problem. The act of removing the HDMI cables and reinserting them changes the connection characteristics. First carefully remove them and use a flashlight to check for any signs of pin damage in the plugs or sockets. Presuming you find none, carefully reinsert them and make sure they are inserted all the way in without any pressure on the cable pushing or pulling the plug in any direction. If necessary, find a way to support the cable. It only takes a little looseness in the socket to screw up the connection.

You didn't mention how long your cable was between the Anthem and the TV, but if it is longer than 10 feet it might be wise to try this experiment:

* Power everything down, disconnect everything from the Anthem.

* Move the Anthem closer to your TV temporarily. You won't need any sources or speaker connections for this test.

* Hook up a good quality HDMI cable that's around 6 feet long or so and see if you can get solid video when viewing the Anthem's internally generated video (Video Source Adjust / Patterns)

If the shorter cable seems to work reliably at 1080p for you then your current cable might just not be making good electrical contact for some reason.

You might also want to bring the Anthem to your dealer and hook it up to a TV there. If it still shows the problem then it will be pretty obvious it is a video board failure in your Anthem.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11354 of 43496 Old 02-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruginator View Post

Panasonic 50XVS30 (plasma). All D2 firmware upgrades versions that I have loaded have worked fine with the TV. My problems stem more from the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD set top box. Even with 1.29j I have HDMI handshake issues, but a second boot of the D2 sorts that out.

I have that same HD DVR box Kruginator. I get my D2 installed Thursday. They said currently the Scientific Atlantic 8300HD does the HDMI handshake. But I do worry it may be problematic. I also have a DirecTV HDDVR. I use both. I wonder if I should just go component out the 8300HD and HDMI out the DirecTV?
Thank you everyone for your replies. I was just curious on how many are using HDMI from the D2 to their HDTV and if overall you were happy on how it has worked so far. I am excited and nervous about the install. I don't want tons of problems and for the HDTV to work 50% of the time.
post #11355 of 43496 Old 02-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygiddings View Post

JoeC5 and Bob P, thanks for your replies. Just tried Pioneer tech support and there is no way to change this setup via the service menu or tweaking the set.

Bob, as you are the master of video settings for the Anthem, what would you recommend in this context where I have an HDMI cable leaving the Anthem to the HDFury and into an RGB input on the RPTV? I know I need to set the resolution to the native resolution of the RPTV but what about the other settings in Video Output? I've probably tried them all but I might have not tried all possible permutations!!

Andy

If your TV has a bad case of "floating blacks" on that input, there is nothing I can think of that you can do in the Anthem settings to counter that. I don't know the HDFury product, so I don't think I've got any suggestions for you except for the obvious (a different TV).

Really about the only thing you can play with on the Anthem side is the output Data Format (Setup / Video Output). The fancier controls for Gamma and such available through the Live Video Settings Editor will not fix the problem you have described. So try the other Data Format choices. You might just luck out.
--Bob

post #11356 of 43496 Old 02-12-2008, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

You might want to try the SW update.

Some people from another forum are speculating
that the update might fix our Anthem HDMI problem.

All my gear is rack mounted and I'll wait until the
weekend to try it myself or one of you can tell me
before hand that it DID or DIDN'T WORK.

I did do the software update today - but I didn't
switch to HDMI OUT.
post #11357 of 43496 Old 02-12-2008, 04:18 PM

I've place an order for the detective. Anything else I might try while waiting? Would really like to see the pc working throught the D2. The Marantz VP15 with the D2 is nothing short of awesome. Makes my old AVM50/Optoma7100 look like chopped liver.
post #11358 of 43496 Old 02-12-2008, 04:20 PM

I just read on the AppleTV discussion forum that the software update will upconvert to 1080P if you connect to the TV with HDMI cable. This was with a Yamaha receiver which has no scaling like the D2 does. Someone will have to try it.
post #11359 of 43496 Old 02-12-2008, 06:48 PM
RMK

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I updated my Apple TV to version 2.0 and tried connecting via HDMI to the D2 running 1.30. With output set to 1080i the D2 showed no video input signal. The display showed the Apple logo right after restarting the Apple TV, then disappeared completely after displaying some screen garbage.

With the output set to 720P the D2 showed a video input signal of 720P but the display was a solid red. I saw no option to allow for 1080P but this might only be available if you have a stable HDMI connection.

I went back to component video at 1080i and the toslink connection. It works just fine and saves an HDMI input on the D2 for something else. If someone gets this working, please let us know your configuration.

Robert
post #11360 of 43496 Old 02-12-2008, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Yes.

Check Video Source Adjust / Picture / Color Space for the HDTV input in the Anthem and make sure you have Studio RGB checked (as well as Auto YCbCr).

In your HDTV set top box, see if you have a setting for its output data format. If it is an HDMI box you should be using YCbC4 4:4:4 from it, but it may default to RGB for some silly reason.

Make sure you have properly set up the black levels (Brightness) and white levels (Contrast) in your TV using the Anthem's internally generated test patterns (Video Source Adjust / Patterns / Color Bars). See the Anthem manual for guidance. This is independent of any source.

After doing that, you should not need to make any significant adjustment in the Anthem's input level settings (Video Source Adjust / Picture) for your HDMI inputs if they are sending the proper Data Format to the Anthem.

When checking the Oppo, the test pattern in DVE for setting black levels (Brightness control in the Anthem's input level settings), has 3 moving black bars. However the rightmost bar is actually "Blacker Than Black". The background is digital 16, the right bar is digital 7, the middle bar is digital 25 and the left bar is digital 21.

So crank up Brightness until you can see all 3 moving black bars (just to verify all the data is getting into the Anthem), but then turn Brightness back down until the right hand bar vanishes completely (i.e., merges into the surrounding black background) and the left hand bar either vanishes or is just barely visible. Depending on your TV you may prefer either way for that.

Again, check the level controls in your TV *FIRST* using the Anthem's internal test chart. Then, don't fiddle with the TV controls after that. Use the Anthem's input level controls to fine tune for each source device.

Now, if you have DVE's moving black bars showing the proper results then you should trust those results. If you are still seeing HDTV as darker then it is probably the HDTV side which is not calibrated properly. This could easily be the result of the HDTV set top box sending Extended RGB to the Anthem instead of YCbCr 4:4:4 (for and HDMI output from the box) or Studio RGB (for a DVI output from the box).

=================================

EDITED TO ADD: I don't know what HDTV set top box you are using. My Comcast box is made by Motorola, and the way you get to its video setup stuff is that you power it off with its remote, and then, while it is off, hit menu on the remote. There is a second page of settings just for HDMI outptut. When those settings are right, hit menu again to save them, and then power on to turn the box on normally. I just mention this because the method for getting to the video setup stuff in your HDTV set top box may be equally arcane.
--Bob

Bob:

I believe I have done all those steps correctly. There are no adjustments of that type with my Satellite receiver. It is a Bell Expressvu 9200, which I believe is an older version of Dishnets 622?

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

Click here for pic of my 2 channel system.

post #11361 of 43496 Old 02-12-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:

In your Video Output configuration, make sure Preferred = HDMI.

For each input, make sure Video Source Adjust / Output / Frame Lock = OFF.

Also try using the alternate setting for Video Output / Sync. The correct setting should produce a solid picture on your TV that requires essentially no horizontal repositioning.

If none of those does it, you may have a cabling problem. The act of removing the HDMI cables and reinserting them changes the connection characteristics. First carefully remove them and use a flashlight to check for any signs of pin damage in the plugs or sockets. Presuming you find none, carefully reinsert them and make sure they are inserted all the way in without any pressure on the cable pushing or pulling the plug in any direction. If necessary, find a way to support the cable. It only takes a little looseness in the socket to screw up the connection.

You didn't mention how long your cable was between the Anthem and the TV, but if it is longer than 10 feet it might be wise to try this experiment:

* Power everything down, disconnect everything from the Anthem.

* Move the Anthem closer to your TV temporarily. You won't need any sources or speaker connections for this test.

* Hook up a good quality HDMI cable that's around 6 feet long or so and see if you can get solid video when viewing the Anthem's internally generated video (Video Source Adjust / Patterns)

If the shorter cable seems to work reliably at 1080p for you then your current cable might just not be making good electrical contact for some reason.

You might also want to bring the Anthem to your dealer and hook it up to a TV there. If it still shows the problem then it will be pretty obvious it is a video board failure in your Anthem.
--Bob

Bob, thanks for the response.

D2 is setup as you suggested.

Tried it with a short 4-ft 1080p capable cable with same problem.
Also tried it on different TV (with different cables) and with only 1 HDMI source connected ... same problem.
I then change the source to component... again same problem.

The interesting thing is that if I power off the D2 for 5-10 min and then back ON, I get a rock solid picture. It's only when I shut it down from the front panel and back ON that I have the video problem. Can it be due to new firmware version?
post #11362 of 43496 Old 02-12-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK View Post

I updated my Apple TV to version 2.0 and tried connecting via HDMI to the D2 running 1.30. It works just fine and saves an HDMI input on the D2 for something else. If someone gets this working, please let us know your configuration.

Robert

With the D2 running 1.29J, no video or audio from HDMI after ATV update and various resolution settings. Back to component/optical.

Reject Passivity, Accept Responsibility,
Lead Courageously, Live for the Greater Reward

Rick
post #11363 of 43496 Old 02-12-2008, 08:08 PM
ASW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Pierre View Post

Bob, thanks for the response.

D2 is setup as you suggested.

Tried it with a short 4-ft 1080p capable cable with same problem.
Also tried it on different TV (with different cables) and with only 1 HDMI source connected ... same problem.
I then change the source to component... again same problem.

The interesting thing is that if I power off the D2 for 5-10 min and then back ON, I get a rock solid picture. It's only when I shut it down from the front panel and back ON that I have the video problem. Can it be due to new firmware version?

Try rolling back to 1.21d - always works for me.
post #11364 of 43496 Old 02-13-2008, 01:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
What was software update 1.29j suppose to fix? Is 1.3 on the new D2's the same?
post #11365 of 43496 Old 02-13-2008, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalarsons View Post

I ordered the ARC upgrade from the dealer where I originally purchased the D2.

I called Anthem yesterday, and I was told that the ARC-1, for existing D2 owners, is still in beta and no due date has been set yet for when it will be available. So what gives? Is it still in beta or is it available? My local dealer told me that right now they are only shipping with the new D2s, and he has not heard when they will be available for existing D2 owners.
post #11366 of 43496 Old 02-13-2008, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does anyone know how to get to the system menu on a Verizon FIOS DVR/HDMI set top box?
post #11367 of 43496 Old 02-13-2008, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK View Post

I updated my Apple TV to version 2.0 and tried connecting via HDMI to the D2 running 1.30. With output set to 1080i the D2 showed no video input signal. The display showed the Apple logo right after restarting the Apple TV, then disappeared completely after displaying some screen garbage.

With the output set to 720P the D2 showed a video input signal of 720P but the display was a solid red. I saw no option to allow for 1080P but this might only be available if you have a stable HDMI connection.

I went back to component video at 1080i and the toslink connection. It works just fine and saves an HDMI input on the D2 for something else. If someone gets this working, please let us know your configuration.

Robert

Thanks Robert for that update. That is the exact
behavior I got also BEFORE the Apple TV update.
So they didn't fix anything. Of course since others
on a different forum say it works on their setup.

Could that mean a finger point at Anthem
post #11368 of 43496 Old 02-13-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyrightlow View Post

works just fine with mine. having connected a IBM thinkpad on docking station trough DVI/HDMI to D2 on AUX input. important: set resolution (e.g. 1920x1080) and display option for laptop and external monitor on windows. I am able to display 720p or 1080i or 1080p material from the PC (and the 720p and 1080i is transformed into 1080p by the D2). Great pictures and sound (sound does not go through the DVI/HDMI but by an analog cable)
post #11369 of 43496 Old 02-13-2008, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja12 View Post

Does anyone know how to get to the system menu on a Verizon FIOS DVR/HDMI set top box?

On the Fios/DVR thread there are some directions.
post #11370 of 43496 Old 02-13-2008, 06:49 AM

Is it possible for the D2 to play a 7.1 truehd source? If the HDMI in the D2 can only pass 5.1, is there any way to send those other 2 channels through the D2?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers