Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #11521 of 43014 Old 02-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Engaget cites an Oppo development VP saying that Oppo is in the "early stages" of producing its first Blu-Ray player. Whatever you think of the Oppo products (I happen to think they are great), this is good news at it means Blu-Ray is approaching a glimmer of a possibility of a chance that its becoming a commodity technology is something just over the horizon. That's when we'll finally be able to pick and choose players based on price/performance/convenience features as opposed to who has just fired their latest bolt closest to a still moving target.

Oh happy day!

(If Anthem doesn't ship ARC soon I think I'm going to have to resort to posting comments on how much I hate going to real movie theaters these days...grin!)
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11522 of 43014 Old 02-20-2008, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
(If Anthem doesn't ship ARC soon I think I'm going to have to resort to posting comments on how much I hate going to real movie theaters these days...grin!)
--Bob[/quote]

I spoke to Nick at Anthem yesterday, he made no promises but hopes to start shipping the ARC-1 upgrade kit in 2 weeks....lets hope everything goes well for the next 2 weeks.
post #11523 of 43014 Old 02-20-2008, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Engaget cites an Oppo development VP saying that Oppo is in the "early stages" of producing its first Blu-Ray player. Whatever you think of the Oppo products (I happen to think they are great), this is good news at it means Blu-Ray is approaching a glimmer of a possibility of a chance that its becoming a commodity technology is something just over the horizon. That's when we'll finally be able to pick and choose players based on price/performance/convenience features as opposed to who has just fired their latest bolt closest to a still moving target.

Oh happy day!

--Bob

This is a good news. I know a lot of peoples who would by such a player. On top of that, if it comes with SACD and DVD-A support, this is even better and this will force pioneer and Denon to follow on the SACD and DVD-A support.
post #11524 of 43014 Old 02-20-2008, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolstoi View Post

This is a good news. I know a lot of peoples who would by such a player. On top of that, if it comes with SACD and DVD-A support, this is even better and this will force pioneer and Denon to follow on the SACD and DVD-A support.

Quote:

Oh happy day!

--Bob

Yes very good news. Hopefully it will have onboard audio processing. SACD and DVD-A would be doubtful I'd think.
I'd look for it by this Christmas.
Funny you should mention going to the movies.
Went to No Country For Old Men last weekend.
There were 4 of us and about 10 people total in the theater when 2 more people walked in and you guessed it, sat right in front us.
We got up and moved back a couple of rows for a clear field of view.
Good movie. Hated the ending.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #11525 of 43014 Old 02-20-2008, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Yes very good news. Hopefully it will have onboard audio processing. SACD and DVD-A would be doubtful I'd think.
There were 4 of us and about 10 people total in the theater when 2 more people walked in and you guessed it, sat right in front us.

This week end I want to watch Spiderwick Chronicles one of the best theater in my area and at the end of the movies my kids (8 and 10) look at me and they both said Dad the image quality was really not good.....
post #11526 of 43014 Old 02-20-2008, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

We need to push more with some manufacturer such as Pioneer we are at fourth generation (with the 05FD) and there is still no SACD/DVD-A support.
post #11527 of 43014 Old 02-20-2008, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

--Bob

Has Anthem made is possiable for us to be able to order the ARC?
post #11528 of 43014 Old 02-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Read the FAQ!

My local Anthem Statement dealer got a price quote ($499) from Anthem and his rep a week or so back and managed to queue up my order somehow. It may be something he worked between his store and the rep.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11529 of 43014 Old 02-20-2008, 02:14 PM
gdc

Quote:

Oh happy day!

--Bob

Oppo is one company that could likely do it right and respond to issues quickly. I would buy a BD player from them in a heartbeat.

It seems with a moving target such as a BD player that initial engineering is only half the story - it requires responsive support. Something that Panasonic hasn't been too good at (with their LFE issue).

- Gordon

We don"t see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin
post #11530 of 43014 Old 02-20-2008, 02:17 PM
gdc

Quote:

My local Anthem Statement dealer got a price quote ($499) from Anthem and his rep a week or so back and managed to queue up my order somehow. It may be something he worked between his store and the rep.
--Bob

Same here, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I think that they have plenty of microphones and software discs, but they may be finalizing the firmware for us current owners.

- Gordon

We don"t see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin
post #11531 of 43014 Old 02-21-2008, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I hope that the ARC comes out soon because each time there is news the price seems to go up by a 100 bucks!

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #11532 of 43014 Old 02-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Since we get asked often, here are the correct settings for the Oppo 970 and 980 when connected to our pre/pros (the same generally applies to all players). Starting with defaults and with tray open or no disc:

- change Down-mix to 5.1*
- change Center and Rear speakers to Large
- change Subwoofer to On
- (970 only) change Channel Delay to 0 for the surrounds
- change HDMI Audio to Auto
- if you watch both NTSC and PAL discs, set TV Type to Auto

*setting the 980 to 7.1, tempting as it may be, restricts sampling rate to 48 kHz, and DVD-A contains six channels at 96 kHz (or rarely 88.2 kHz, which is normal for SACD)

Outside of the menu, press HDMI to set 480i/576i before watching DVD and 720p or higher before playing DVD-A. HDMI audio on all DVD-A players is restricted to 48 kHz when video is SD.

No calibration is needed in the pre/pro's video processing menu - brightness etc can be left at 50 although if you have a test disc you can verify.

If there are further questions, sfitech at sonicfrontiers dot com - there is too much here for me to monitor. If that doesn't work due to spam filtering, please use the form under tech support on anthemav dot com. If there's something here that you want me to see, send a link to the post, *not* the thread. Thanks

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #11533 of 43014 Old 02-21-2008, 04:48 PM

Hello, I have read that there was an issue with passing 1080P through the
the AVM40 and AVM50. Does anyone know if this is still an issue or if this
has been fixed with past updates....Thanks
post #11534 of 43014 Old 02-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Read the FAQ!

The current software for the AVM-50 and the D2 has no problems that I know of in handling HDMI 1080p/60 input to HDMI 1080p/60 output or HDMI 1080p/24 input to HDMI 1080p/24 output. It is not a "pass through" (i.e., not simply some form of switched HDMI video). The HDMI input video is processed to extract audio and etc., and the output signal is generated after that. But I know of no issues with that -- certainly no image quality issues.

However, 480i/60 input to 1080p/24 output, or 1080i/60 input to 1080p/24 output for film based sources (e.g., standard DVD movies or movies on HDTV) is not currently working in the AVM-50 and D2. Use 1080p/60 output instead, just as you would have to do anyway for video based sources.

I'm not familiar enough with the AVM-40 to answer your question for that unit.
--Bob

post #11535 of 43014 Old 02-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post

Do you think there will possibly be a fix sometime soon. That's a pretty big problem Panasonic has. With the LFE down -5 db. Why haven't they(Panasonic) fixed that with a firmware update? Do many D2 owners have this Blu-ray player? If so, how have you worked around it?

There's a thread in the Blu-Ray Player forum that says Panasonic now has a fix for this problem with their BD30 player, and that the firmware is expected to come out on 2/25. Presumably they are still testing it, so that date may not be solid.
--Bob

post #11536 of 43014 Old 02-22-2008, 05:10 PM

I've been reading through the posts to see if I can find any information on why the D2 and my new Tivo Series 3 unit have a major problem syncing when the Tivo is set to native output. I am using the HDMI input and firmware v1.21b. Also, I noticed that others are using version 1.29xx. The anthem site has only version 1.11. Do I need to contact Anthem for the new firmware?

John
post #11537 of 43014 Old 02-22-2008, 05:14 PM

Try connecting audio with either optical or coax, problem will probably dissapear
post #11538 of 43014 Old 02-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post

I've been reading through the posts to see if I can find any information on why the D2 and my new Tivo Series 3 unit have a major problem syncing when the Tivo is set to native output. I am using the HDMI input and firmware v1.21b. Also, I noticed that others are using version 1.29xx. The anthem site has only version 1.11. Do I need to contact Anthem for the new firmware?

Yes. Contact Anthem tech support for one of the test versions in the 1.29 range (the versions leading up to the 1.3 release). Let them know the specific problem you are trying to resolve.
--Bob

post #11539 of 43014 Old 02-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:

There's a thread in the Blu-Ray Player forum that says Panasonic now has a fix for this problem with their BD30 player, and that the firmware is expected to come out on 2/25. Presumably they are still testing it, so that date may not be solid.
--Bob

Thanks Bob. I was about to return it. I actually have not even opened it yet. The BD50 is probably a better to get if it comes out pretty soon.
post #11540 of 43014 Old 02-23-2008, 04:53 AM

Hi all.
I have a D2 for a few months now and just recently I found that there isn't any sound coming from the center channel during mono or prologic (2.0) films. Sound is only coming from the front left and right.
I'm only have my OPPO connected via HDMI.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
post #11541 of 43014 Old 02-23-2008, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post

Why beat yourself up

You'll find TiVo works best via Component and
FIXED output resolution. You can't see any difference.

At least that is how us TiVo and D2 Owners connect it.
post #11542 of 43014 Old 02-23-2008, 07:04 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditcin View Post

Hi all.
I have a D2 for a few months now and just recently I found that there isn't any sound coming from the center channel during mono or prologic (2.0) films. Sound is only coming from the front left and right.
I'm only have my OPPO connected via HDMI.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

This could be perfectly normal. Many Mono films are actually put on the DVD as stereo with the same audio being sent to the LF and RF speaker channels. I.e., there's no sound coming in on the Center speaker channel. And the audio steering of voice frequencies to the Center channel in the Anthem may be minimal depending on the audio mode you have selected (and any adjustments you have made to its default settings) and the actual program content.

To get the Anthem to mix the LF and RF inputs (when listening to 2-channel source content) and produce a single speaker output to the Center speaker channel you need to select the Mono audio mode (or Mono Academy if listening to an old Mono movie that needs the extra high frequency filtering applied). This is a matter of taste of course. If you are getting sound you like using the LF and RF speakers then you can leave it that way too.

If you have still believe you are missing something on the Center speaker, then the next thing to do is to double check that you haven't actually set any of the "temporary" audio level adjustments with your remote. These are remembered on a per-source and per-audio-input-style basis, so it is easy to think you have cleared a setting you have played with when in fact you cleared it for a different source or audio input style.

To clear ALL of the "temporary" settings at once, do this:

* Go to Setup / Save & Restore Settings

* Save User Settings

* Restore Factory Settings (you may lose video at this point but you can continue using the Front Panel display)

* Restore User Settings (video should be back now)

The "temporary" audio level settings aren't saved so this clears them all back to their default state.

Please also note that the audio modes available at any given moment depend not only on the style of the incoming audio, but also whether or not you have THX post processing turned on. Mono and Mono Academy modes are not available with THX post processing. If you don't see Mono or Mono Academy as available options when you cycle through the audio modes, then press the THX button and use the up or down arrow to toggle THX post processing off.
--Bob

post #11543 of 43014 Old 02-23-2008, 07:22 AM

Thanks for responding.

I don't even get a center channel when set to Dolby Pro-logic. I've also tried the MONO and MONO Academy setting as well.

The weird thing is that when I go to the menu screen to calibrate each channel's volume level there's a MUSIC and MOVIE SUB setting. When I highlight the music setting the center channel comes on! Yet in that mode I don't have a center channel (or rears chosen - only front L&R)

Also, I never use any THX settings.

My center channel was working fine for few months I had the unit - I just don't get it.?!?!
post #11544 of 43014 Old 02-23-2008, 08:07 AM
aus

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post

Since we get asked often, here are the correct settings for the Oppo 970 and 980 when connected to our pre/pros (the same generally applies to all players). Starting with defaults and with tray open or no disc:

- change Down-mix to 5.1*
- change Center and Rear speakers to Large
- change Subwoofer to On
- (970 only) change Channel Delay to 0 for the surrounds
- change HDMI Audio to Auto
- if you watch both NTSC and PAL discs, set TV Type to Auto

*setting the 980 to 7.1, tempting as it may be, restricts sampling rate to 48 kHz, and DVD-A contains six channels at 96 kHz (or rarely 88.2 kHz, which is normal for SACD)

Outside of the menu, press HDMI to set 480i/576i before watching DVD and 720p or higher before playing DVD-A. HDMI audio on all DVD-A players is restricted to 48 kHz when video is SD.

No calibration is needed in the pre/pro's video processing menu - brightness etc can be left at 50 although if you have a test disc you can verify.

If there are further questions, sfitech at sonicfrontiers dot com - there is too much here for me to monitor. If that doesn't work due to spam filtering, please use the form under tech support on anthemav dot com. If there's something here that you want me to see, send a link to the post, *not* the thread. Thanks

Thanks Nick. Could this be put in the first post as a reference?

Has anyone noticed this problems with 480i via HDMI on a 970?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post12330946

And does anyone have a link for Levesque's PS3 review somewhere in this thread? I've searched and can't find it.
post #11545 of 43014 Old 02-23-2008, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

However, 480i/60 input to 1080p/24 output ... is not working...

It's not? I use it and I don't see anything wrong and my glasses aren't that old. I'll have to go double check in case I use a different output setting for the Oppo. However, after I got my PRO-150FD, I tried 1080p24 output from the D2 from 480i and I thought it worked ok.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #11546 of 43014 Old 02-23-2008, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post

Thanks Nick. Could this be put in the first post as a reference?

And does anyone have a link for Levesque's PS3 review somewhere in this thread? I've searched and can't find it.

Interesting. I've never heard of sending 1440x480 instead of double clocking 480i. I can't say I've noticed a issue, although, every now and then I notice a stutter, but that can be from many different reasons. I wonder if the 980 does the "correct" thing.

larry

I just now double checked and with 480i from my Oppo 970 to the D2 and 1080p24 from the D2 to PRO-150FD things look ok. I wonder if the issue stated above has anything to do with it.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #11547 of 43014 Old 02-23-2008, 09:21 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditcin View Post

Thanks for responding.

I don't even get a center channel when set to Dolby Pro-logic. I've also tried the MONO and MONO Academy setting as well.

The weird thing is that when I go to the menu screen to calibrate each channel's volume level there's a MUSIC and MOVIE SUB setting. When I highlight the music setting the center channel comes on! Yet in that mode I don't have a center channel (or rears chosen - only front L&R)

Also, I never use any THX settings.

My center channel was working fine for few months I had the unit - I just don't get it.?!?!

OK, you may have to work this with Anthem Tech Support.

I can't recall any similar problems reported in this thread.
--Bob

post #11548 of 43014 Old 02-23-2008, 09:27 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

It's not? I use it and I don't see anything wrong and my glasses aren't that old. I'll have to go double check in case I use a different output setting for the Oppo. However, after I got my PRO-150FD, I tried 1080p24 output from the D2 from 480i and I thought it worked ok.

larry

It's not SUPPOSED to be working! If it is working for you that is interesting news!

Anthem has been working on 480i/60 or 1080i/60 to 1080p/24 conversion (of course only for film-based source content) off and on for some time. They made some improvements in it with the V1.12 software but acknowledged even then that it wasn't right, and that was confirmed here -- loss of lock with the cadence leading to stuttering in the movie playback. For some folks it worked kind of OK with 1080i/60 input but nobody reported it working well at all with 480i/60 input.

Anthem has promised to get back to finishing this after ARC ships.

So if 480i/60 to 1080p/24 is working fine for you for film-based content (no stuttering) we should try to figure out how that's happening -- which Anthem software and which combo of source and display devices.
--Bob

post #11549 of 43014 Old 02-23-2008, 09:31 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post

We've had no reports of loss of resolution with the Oppo 970 here that I'm aware of.

There is a bug in the V1.11x series Anthem software where COMPONENT input could get seen as 1440x480i (or something close to that) which resulted in significant loss of image quality. That was fixed around V1.11g as I recall. But that would have been an Anthem problem.

It is possible that even if the Oppo 970 is doing this, that the Anthem is picking the right pixels to get the imaging correct anyway. There are so many 970s in use with the Anthems right now, that I'd be surprised if a problem exists here and it hasn't been spotted yet.
--Bob

post #11550 of 43014 Old 02-23-2008, 11:08 AM
aus

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I haven't had any problems with the 970 with my AMV50, but stumbled across that issue when I was asking about the HDMI/Component outputs both being active at the same time with the 970 (both are), because I can't seem to get video out to my Zone 2.

I thought I would post it since I haven't seen this brought up here and I know the 970 is a popular DVD player with these Anthem units.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page