Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 388 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

Old 02-29-2008, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wife was watching cable last night and heard a large pop and audio went down quite a bit, (video comes through fine in HDMI).

She did not say anything to me till lunch time today and I immediately went and checked.

There is no amplification of the audio signal coming in from either the PVR or the DVD/CD, (both HDMI).

One can hear the TV vocals but with no amplification, it is just being past through. Turning volume on the D2 has no effect.

The D2 is at original F/W levels, (March 07).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 979
You may have taken a power hit that crashed the HDMI audio processing. If you are lucky, restarting the D2 might clear that.

Turn off the D2 using the Remote, then also turn it off using it's back panel switch. Disconnect everything else in your system from wall power. Now plug that stuff back in and turn on the D2 again. Do you have good HDMI audio now?

If not, see if you can get the speaker calibration tones out of the D2 (Setup / Level Calibration). This will tell you that the output side of the D2 and the path through your Amp and your speakers are in good shape. If the output side of things is working it's time to concentrate on the input side.

Power everything down again. Disconnect your HDMI input sources. Now use a digital optical or coax audio cable from some source and see if you can get proper audio through the D2 when playing DD5.1 content. This will show that the digital audio portion of the D2 is operating correctly.

If all this is good, and if you have any other HDMI source device around, try temporarily hooking it up to the D2. See if the issue happens with that device as well (since your other 2 HDMI sources may be what broke). You may have to try each of the HDMI sockets in turn. Be careful removing and plugging in HDMI connections -- they are delicate.

All of this should help you isolate what portion of the system has failed.

There are settings that would almost complete mute the audio. For example, if the D2 thinks headphones have been plugged in. So take your time and be logical about working through this stuff. Make sure the remote control is controlling the "Main" path of the D2 for example.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 02-29-2008, 02:23 PM

Hi Bob

First, thanks for the fast response, it is appreciated.

I have a Panamax 5400 Power conditioner in front of the D2/A5 feeding off a dedicated 20 amp service. Hopefully no spikes got through that but who knows.

Did a power reset, (both D2 and A5 from rear).

Tried the calibration tones and only sound coming out is of from front mains. Center and rears are stone quiet!

Lots of static when moving volume control when piping in cable source, (HDMI).

Cheers

Bob
Old 02-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Read the FAQ!

Make a written record of your D2 settings. Don't forget the settings in the Video Source Adjust menu for each input. You'll want this anyway if you have to send the D2 to Anthem for service so you might as well do it now.

Power down and disconnect everything from the D2 except for the power cord and the speaker outputs to your amp and subwoofer. This is to eliminate the possibility that some sort of short or power surge is coming into the D2 over any of those cables.

Power up the D2 and your amp.

Now, using the Front Panel display (because you've just disconnected your TV) go to Setup / Save & Restore Settings and do:

* Save User Settings. With any luck we'll get you going again and you can restore these from here as well.

* Reload Factory Defaults.

Now go to Setup / Calibrate Levels again and see if you are getting the calibration tones on all speaker channels. The factory default settings include a full (7.1) set of speakers so you won't have to make any setting changes before doing this test.

If you can get calibration tone audio on all speaker channels using the Factory Default settings, then try a Restore User Settings and see what you get.

If, on the other hand, you still only get audio on the LF and RF speaker channels then the next thing to do is temporarily move either one of those outputs from the D2 to each of the other inputs in turn on your power amp to make sure the audio gets through the power amp to each of the other speakers. This will eliminate the power amp or the speakers as the problem. Once you've tried that, put the output cables from the D2 to the power amp back as normal.

If the power amp and speakers are good on all channels and you can still only get proper output from the LF and RF outputs of the D2 (using the D2's internally generated calibration tones) then you've likely had a failure of the D2's output stage. I don't believe there is any way for you to fix this yourself. You will need to contact Anthem technical support.

ETA: But while you are back there doing these cabling tests, double check to make sure nothing is shorted at either end of any cable. It only takes one loose hair of wire to short things.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 02-29-2008, 08:27 PM

Hi Bob

Can't say how much I appreciate your guidance.

Unfortunately, looks like the D2's output stage is fried.

I have completed all the testing you suggested and at least the amp is working great for all channels. Setting up L-Front to manually ouput and then changing to each amp input, proved down-stream is fine.

Doing the calibration tone audio at Factory settings did not change anything. Output on L/R fronts okay but center is silent and rears just scream. Cannot change the output at all on them.

Contacted Truetone who sold me the complete rig and they were going to send someone over but I'll speak with them tomorrow and see if I can drop it off at Anthem as their here in Mississauga where I live on Monday.

At least, I can get the firmware upgraded and perhaps, they can return it with the ARC1 packaged in the box!

Cheers

Bob
Old 03-01-2008, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Bob

This past summer I was able to drop my D1 off directly at the factory in Mississauga. There is a Service door on the side. I was also able to have it upgraded to a D2 at the same time so I think you should be able to get the ACR too. Rather drastic measures to have to have a broken machine just so you could get the ARC quicker
Old 03-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Anderson View Post

Wife was watching cable last night and heard a large pop and audio went down quite a bit, (video comes through fine in HDMI).

She did not say anything to me till lunch time today and I immediately went and checked.

There is no amplification of the audio signal coming in from either the PVR or the DVD/CD, (both HDMI).

One can hear the TV vocals but with no amplification, it is just being past through. Turning volume on the D2 has no effect.

The D2 is at original F/W levels, (March 07).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

I lost the surround channels on my A5 about three weeks ago. I sent it back to Anthem about two weeks ago and have not received it back. I too have a power conditioner feeding my D2 and A5. I don't know what caused the amp to blow but I do know it happened during POCAWE. During the big scene at the end I heard crackling from the surrounds then they went silent.

anseK®
My DVD Collection

Format War Neutral
Panasonic DMP-BD55K
Samsung BD-P1200
Toshiba HD-A2
Old 03-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostan View Post

Can you tell us if the ARC changed some of the typical l user settings such as speaker distance, cross-overs, sound levels, or the like, etc. from those that you had set up manually.

I know it did change the sound levels and it did change crossover points. The Tech set up the Microphone in 5 different locations and each time a loud whooop, whoop whoop emitted. All the info was then downloaded into the Processor. One of the big results is you can really crank the heck out of the volume and not get rattling or room distortion. Bass information is tight as a drum. The Installer said your system is now equalized to the room.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:46 AM

Well, I'm very disappointed in the D2 and Anthem technical support in one regard. I have a new Nvidea 8600GTS video card with 512mb(with DVI-I out), certainly a well regarded and widely used card. Tech support at Anthem has informed me that the D2 (I'm runnning v 1.21) has many problems with video cards and that the D2 is not well suited to hook up to a PC and they can do nothing about the fact that my Marantz VP15(which is really wonderful) works perfectly when hooked up directly to the PC, but when connected through the D2, crashes the PC almost every time I hook it up through the D2, albeit not every time. When I disconnect the cable from the D2 and run to the projector and it works, I have repluged it into the D2, sometimes the D2 will handle it, but eventually it crashes. I also went out and purchased the Gefen DVI Detective, to no avail. They advise there is nothing they can do to help me with this problem and I shouldn't be using the D2 as part of a media center hub that includes PC's I find this very troubling and not the kind of support that should be expected from Anthem on their high end product. If I knew then what I now know, that Anthem will not support the D2 in a media center with PC set-up, I would have purchased another product. I'm now thinking my only alternative is to run the PC directly to the 2nd hdmi input on the Marantz. Sadly, that will require more wall breaking to hide the cable and lose the ability of the D2 on the video side. I hope the D2 will support the digital audio coming out of my high end Creative Blaster audio card. :-(
Old 03-01-2008, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by buyrightlow View Post

Well, I'm very disappointed in the D2 and Anthem technical support in one regard. I have a new Nvidea 8600GTS video card with 512mb(with DVI-I out), certainly a well regarded and widely used card. Tech support at Anthem has informed me that the D2 (I'm runnning v 1.21) has many problems with video cards and that the D2 is not well suited to hook up to a PC and they can do nothing about the fact that my Marantz VP15(which is really wonderful) works perfectly when hooked up directly to the PC, but when connected through the D2, crashes the PC almost every time I hook it up through the D2, albeit not every time. When I disconnect the cable from the D2 and run to the projector and it works, I have repluged it into the D2, sometimes the D2 will handle it, but eventually it crashes. I also went out and purchased the Gefen DVI Detective, to no avail. They advise there is nothing they can do to help me with this problem and I shouldn't be using the D2 as part of a media center hub that includes PC's I find this very troubling and not the kind of support that should be expected from Anthem on their high end product. If I knew then what I now know, that Anthem will not support the D2 in a media center with PC set-up, I would have purchased another product. I'm now thinking my only alternative is to run the PC directly to the 2nd hdmi input on the Marantz. Sadly, that will require more wall breaking to hide the cable and lose the ability of the D2 on the video side. I hope the D2 will support the digital audio coming out of my high end Creative Blaster audio card. :-(

We can understand your unhappiness with Anthem's
Support of PCs - but I doubt you would find any other
equivalent products to the Anthem that would play nice
with Media Center PCs. The Incompatibility problem is
wide-spread with PCs - they just don't play by the proper
Rules.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
After getting my D2 back from Anthem a few months back for a video board problem I have been using it for audio processing only and I have connected my dvd and satellite dvr directly to my hdtv via hdmi. After reading in this thread that the newer video boards that Anthem was using ran cooler I decided to try using the Anthem for video processing again. I have been pleasantly surprised at how much cooler it runs and how many fewer blue screens I encounter and how much faster they resolve. They upgraded the software from v1.11 to v1.20 and I assume that the blue screen improvement is due to the software, but the heat issues I was having with the original green video board have been cured with the newer red one that is installed now. I am so happy that I ordered an Oppo 980h to replace my Denon 3930ci (its listed on videogon if you know anyone looking for one) since I don't need the Denon's video processing any more.
I have some ?'s about the set up between the D2 and Oppo that weren't answered by Nick's post a few pages back and was wondering if anybody out there who uses the Oppo with the D2 could help me?
Do I still need to use the 5.1 analog out of the Oppo to the 6 ch in on the D2 for dvd-a and sacd or can you output uncompressed audio from the Oppo via hdmi?
I also am not sure about the whole RGB or YPbPr thing. Is RBG for hdmi and YPbPr for component? Should I set the Oppo to 480i RBG or YPbPr, or does it matter? I am using a 1080i dlp hdtv connected to the D2 with hdmi at 1080i/60 output if that matters.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Read the FAQ!

tngilloy,
When playing standard DVDs, set the Oppo to send HDMI 480i YCbCr (which is the digital version of analog YPbPr used on Component video cabling). Audio can come over HDMI as traditional bitstreams (DD5.1 or DTS) for decoding in the Anthem.

I'm pretty sure the Oppo 980 can use HDMI for SACD and DVD-Audio playback as well. Set the Oppo to decode the SACD or DVD-Audio and send multi-channel, high bandwidth PCM to the Anthem (not just stereo, and not DSD). You will also have to raise the output video resolution of the Oppo to 720p or higher when playing SACD and DVD-Audio this way due to the way HDMI allocates audio bandwidth as a percentage of your currently selected video bandwidth. If you leave it at HDMI 480i you won't get the full set of high bandwidth audio channels.
--Bob

Old 03-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

I don't have any idea what the specific issue is with your card's DVI output, but I can tell you that running a DVI or HDMI source through an AVR is more difficult for the source. The AVR's role as a repeater puts greater demands on the source programming, and the source will typically be presented with many more connection options when talking to the AVR (i.e., acceptable audio and video types) than will happen when connected directly to a typical TV.

For example, when the D2 first came out, some cable set top boxes locked up when connected to it because their programming was not prepared to be offered that many options. This was true even using the HDMI Repeater = NO option in the D2 which unburdens much of the repeater handshake processing from the source.

Typical problems with computer cards are that they like to change what they are outputting as they boot up, which further complicates the handshake -- again made more difficult due to an AVR in the middle.

I'm surprised DVI Detective isn't doing the trick for you. I don't know if anyone else here is using your card with DVI Detective, but perhaps another poster will chime in here.

One point however: You say that the symptom is that the PC crashes. It should not be possible for the D2 to crash your PC. The PC card is in charge of making the connection happen -- i.e., it is all driven by software/firmware in the PC. All the D2 does is let the PC know what options are available for the connection (when asked), accept or decline the connection (perhaps requiring a retry on the part of the PC card), and inform the PC card, when asked, if HDCP copy protection is valid through to any connected display. The rest is all audio/video data transfer which, again, is driven by the source device.

The point is, if the software and firmware for the PC card are properly written to work with an HDMI AVR in between the card and the TV, then there's not really anything the D2 COULD do which would cause a PC crash.

Which means you may be fighting two issues here: (1) The need to use DVI Detective at all due to the way the PC card boots up and tries to handshake with the D2, and (2) a graphics card software driver problem on your PC that makes it not work well when connected through an AVR to the TV -- particularly one that offers the range of connection options offered by the D2.

Getting fixes for such issues can be a pain in the neck -- even when it is patently obvious that it is source device programming that is the culprit (as with the locked up cable and satellite boxes I mentioned above.).

We have a number of people who have posted here that they've had success with HTPC setups through the D2. We might need to start making a list of which graphics cards are known to work (including version number of the card, OS version, software/firmware version for the card, software version in the Anthem, and whether DVI Detective was required).
--Bob

Old 03-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim E. View Post

Actually ARC does not set speaker distance. This MUST be done manually.

Jim

The D2 V1.3x manual agrees with what you say (i.e., there's no mention that you can ignore the Setup / Listener Position menu if you are using ARC for all sources), but I'm surprised that this is true.

Adjusting the timing delay should be one of the easier things for an auto EQ system to do. You just send out two distinct pulses simultaneously from pairs of speakers and detect the arrival time difference between them. You just have to be careful to catch the first arrival to avoid measuring later repeats due to wall/ceiling/floor reflections.

I wonder why they decided to leave this up to manual settings?
--Bob

Old 03-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

tngilloy,
When playing standard DVDs, set the Oppo to send HDMI 480i YCbCr (which is the digital version of analog YPbPr used on Component video cabling). Audio can come over HDMI as traditional bitstreams (DD5.1 or DTS) for decoding in the Anthem.

I'm pretty sure the Oppo 980 can use HDMI for SACD and DVD-Audio playback as well. Set the Oppo to decode the SACD or DVD-Audio and send multi-channel, high bandwidth PCM to the Anthem (not just stereo, and not DSD). You will also have to raise the output video resolution of the Oppo to 720p or higher when playing SACD and DVD-Audio this way due to the way HDMI allocates audio bandwidth as a percentage of your currently selected video bandwidth. If you leave it at HDMI 480i you won't get the full set of high bandwidth audio channels.
--Bob

Thanks Bob,
Can you refresh my memory on a couple of things? Is the D2 hdmi1.1, or 1.2 compliant?
Does the D2 accept 192K audio?
With the YCbCr setting should I use 4:4:4 or 4:2:2, or would I find that info in my TV's manual??
It looks like I can sell my 6 Speltz analog cables in addition to the Denon and can put that money toward the ARC!

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:31 PM

Does anyone know how to use the IR Database codes from the Anthem website for Pronto remotes in Windows XP? I've installed the IRDatabase program, but it doesn't seem to want to run under XP, even in Windows 98compatability mode. I'm having trouble with some of the Anthem codes and wanted to get their clean codes to use in my CCF file.

Buddy
Old 03-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post

Thanks Bob,
Can you refresh my memory on a couple of things? Is the D2 hdmi1.1, or 1.2 compliant?
Does the D2 accept 192K audio?
With the YCbCr setting should I use 4:4:4 or 4:2:2, or would I find that info in my TV's manual??
It looks like I can sell my 6 Speltz analog cables in addition to the Denon and can put that money toward the ARC!

The D2 is HDMI 1.1.

Anthem has been a bit vague on this, but my understanding is that the D2 accepts up to 96KHz audio per channel. It internally upsamples that to 192KHz before doing any processing, and the DACs convert 192KHz to analog for output. I don't believe anyone has posted here that they've been able to configure higher than 96KHz input into the D2 from any source.

For an HDMI source or display device, use YCbCr 4:4:4 to start. See the posts in the Data Format section of the links collected in the first post of this thread for some insight into 4:2:2 and when/why you might want to check it out.

And of course the "Video Calibration for Non-ISF Techs" post in those links is your starting point for video setup in general.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:35 PM
3no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

We have a number of people who have posted here that they've had success with HTPC setups through the D2. We might need to start making a list of which graphics cards are known to work (including version number of the card, OS version, software/firmware version for the card, software version in the Anthem, and whether DVI Detective was required).--Bob

XFX 6600GT with only one DVI connected
84.43 driver
XP/MCE with all updates (although I don't fire up the MCE UI anymore)
1.12s
DVI Detective

Very reliable. Even before adding the DVI Detective I did not get PC crashes, just resolution problems on bootup.

I use the HTPC for my SD DVD player (TheaterTek), either from DVDs or NAS.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:53 PM

I've never had the D2 crash a computer. I use the Gefen device also but only to keep the connection active when changing sources. I've used all NVidia cards and XP Pro. I'm currently using an 8800GTS 512, before that 8800GTS 640, before that SLI 7800 GTs.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:21 AM

Liked: 12
My HTPC has an ATI 3870 card in it and I have no problem connecting it to my AVM-50 via DVI... Thank god for SlySoft Any DVD, because my old RPTV is component only and Any DVD allows me to send upconverted video via DVI to the Anthem and have the Anthem output thru the component output....

Ed
Old 03-02-2008, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have had my d2 for more than a year working great, and just recently when I try to power(2 or 3 times in the past two weeks) down the system the d2 will not shut off unless I pull the plug out of the unit.

any thoughts? thanks, bob
Old 03-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post

I have had my d2 for more than a year working great, and just recently when I try to power(2 or 3 times in the past two weeks) down the system the d2 will not shut off unless I pull the plug out of the unit.

any thoughts? thanks, bob

Literally pull the plug? You mean it won't even power down if you use the back panel power switch?

Try to power it down using the front panel power buttons (one for each Zone). Remember that the unit can't shut down unless all Zones are turned off. Think of the Anthem as 4 separately controllable devices all in one box (Main, Zone 2, Zone 3, Record -- where Record does not have its own power on/off). You may power off one Zone and discover the unit is not completely shut down because some other Zone is still On.

I haven't tried this myself, but if you have set COPY MAIN -> ZONE 2 for audio or Zone 2 = Main (processed or unprocessed) for Video, then you may not be able to shut off Main itself if Zone 2 happens to be in use.

If you can't power down the unit using the front panel buttons, then contact Anthem tech support.

If you find the problem is that some Zone has been turned on unexpectedly, then you may have a conflict with some other remote control (for another device) being picked up by the Anthem, or you may need to go into Setup and turn off the REAR remote control inputs in the Anthem to avoid accidental triggering of remote operations by those inputs (Section 3.11 of the Manual, read "Set IR Inputs", insure the front input is enabled -- perhaps for Main only -- and the the rear inputs are disabled). Or it may simply be that someone in your house doesn't understand how to use the Anthem remote and is accidentally turning on that Zone.

If power down via the front panel power buttons works, and it is not just a matter of a Zone being left on unexpectedly, then you may have a problem with the remote control itself. Try the 2nd remote that came with your D2. If you can isolate the problem to just one remote control, then try resetting the remote control to factory defaults (Section 5.6 in the Manual). If you are using the Anthem remote to control any other devices, you will need to reprogram the remote.

Also make sure the Remote has fresh batteries in it.

Remotes are electronic devices and some small percentage of them will fail. If that's what appears to have happened, contact Anthem tech support.

Also, check the Timer settings in the Anthem to make sure you don't have a Timer set to keep turning the Anthem on. Section 3.2 of the Manual. This is another way a Zone might have turned on unexpectedly.

Finally, clear any "temporary" settings you may have set with the remote and reestablish your normal Setup settings. This is grasping at straws, but it is possible that some setting may have gotten corrupted. To do this, go to Setup / Save & Restore Settings and:

* Save User Settings

* Restore Factory Defaults. You may lose video at this point but you can continue using the Front Panel buttons.

* Restore User Settings. Video should be back now.

The "temporary" settings are things like the temporary speaker level adjustments you can make with the remote (different from the permanent level settings in the Setup menu). These are not Saved, and will all be reset to factory defaults when you do this.

If all this doesn't lead you to a solution, you will likely need to work the problem with Anthem tech support.
--Bob

Old 03-02-2008, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
as always thanks bob!

I will follow those steps.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:24 PM

Perhaps it's something in the D2 settings. Please detail how you set-up the D2 for a HTPC, e.g., do you use extended rgb, something else. How about the resolution-auto?
Old 03-02-2008, 04:06 PM
3no

Quote:

Perhaps it's something in the D2 settings. Please detail how you set-up the D2 for a HTPC, e.g., do you use extended rgb, something else. How about the resolution-auto?

It ain't the D2 settings that are causing your PC to crash. Look harder at the forceware driver. Try a different version here. Make sure it's a WHQL version.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:56 PM

Hi all,

This may be off-topic. If it is, please let me know and I will move to appropriate forum.

I have an AVM-50 (upgraded AVM20) running 1.2.x and it works beautifully with my equipment - knock on wood. The equipment list is:
- JVC RS1 - video @ 1080p: hdmi
- Oppo 970 HD - video @ 480i: HDMI; audio: coax
- PS3 - video @ 1080p: HDMI; audio: optical
- Mac Mini (Intel) - video @ 480i: dvi-to-hdmi; audio: optical
- Bell ExpressVu 9200 - video @ ??? (can't recall): HDMI; audio: optical
This all works very well indeed. In fact, given all the posts about equipment incompatibilities I am wondering if something is wrong with my setup!

Anyway, my question is not about hooking up equipment, but rather about choice of input device for standard definition DVD. Given the choice of watching either from a ripped version on the Mac or the disk itself on the Oppo, which would produce the better image (and sound)?

I have done a comparison (not A/B yet) and I really don't see a big difference.

Any opinions/advice?

Thanks,
Martin
Old 03-02-2008, 06:16 PM

Martin,

I was watching SD-DVD's via my newly-purchased Toshiba HD-A35 - upconverted in the DVD player. As an experiment, I had the A35 output 480i via HDMI, and let the Anthem do all the image processing: it really made a difference. The clarity and color were both much improved. It makes sense, since the Gennum video processor in the AVM50 is probably much more powerful than the Anchor Bay chip in the A35.

I wouldn't be surprised if you had similar results by outputting 480i from the Oppo. Let us all know how it turns out.

Ron
Old 03-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike645 View Post

Bob

This past summer I was able to drop my D1 off directly at the factory in Mississauga. There is a Service door on the side. I was also able to have it upgraded to a D2 at the same time so I think you should be able to get the ACR too. Rather drastic measures to have to have a broken machine just so you could get the ARC quicker

I am lucky enough to live ab out a 20-30 min drive from Paradigm(same location as Anthem in Mississauga?). Literally a drive from downtown to the subs.

If the only way to get this done in a reasonable amount of time would be to bring my unit there, then I will. Hopefully it could be by appointment and done while I wait or something. Would kinda suck if Anthems desire to ensure there is no "sharing" of the arc between users like a SPL meter can be is so rabid that it has a significant impact on its availability, accessability and convinience of acquisition.

I certainly understand the business drivers and they have every right to protect their investment here, but I am alowed to wish for a perfect world lol. I will gladly fork over the money, Anthem just needs to meet me half way and find a way to take it from me as quickly as possible hahaa.

Really sounds like a win win for everyone ;-)

Cheers
Old 03-03-2008, 05:39 AM

Hi guys,

My D2 feeds a CRT projector with component interconnects and video output set at 720p. So I run into Macrovision copy protect on some SDVDs and the D2 telling me that output is only available at 483p.

When I encounter this, I switch the D2 to DVD2 output which I set to 576p/50. Well, it works with the D2 nicely sending 576p/50 to the projector. Now, my eyesight isn't what it used to be, so I can't really say for sure I see an improvment in the picture. But psychologically (and logically?), I tell myself there IS an improvement and am happy. Or supposed to be ... (otherwise there won't be this post )

But can you folks tell me frankly, whether there is technically an advantage in 570p/50 over 480p/60. Or for that matter, 1080p/60 over 1080p/50 when I eventually switch to HDMI connections some day.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Ben
Old 03-03-2008, 07:00 AM
Read the FAQ!

Ben, 1080p/60 has higher bandwidth than 1080p/50 but the difference might not be enough for you to see.

However if you do the math 480p/60 and 576p/50 have essentially the same bandwidth. You are trading off increased vertical resolution vs. refresh rate. The two schemes each have their advocates (static resolution vs. smoothness of motion for example), but there's not really that much difference between them. The information reaching the eye each second is coming at essentially the same rate.

There are a few more subtle advantages, such as the fact that standard DVDs in 50 Hz markets are played at 25Hz instead of the normal 24Hz rate for film-based content -- i.e., they are sped up a bit for playback. The eye doesn't see this for the video, but the audio has to be pitch corrected when making such discs so that it sounds right. But the advantage is that the playback rate now divides evenly into the display's refresh rate, which means you have no "cadence judder", and no need to change refresh rate of the display when viewing video-based content vs. film-based content.

The problem with what you are doing is that your player is NOT sending 25Hz video to the Anthem. It is sending 480i/60 or 480p/60. That means the audio pitch is right, but that the Anthem has to compensate to reduce the /60 frame rate to /50 for output by discarding some of the frames. The Anthem is probably doing this well (we've not had much discussion of it here) but it is added processing which it is probably better to avoid lest you introduce a different type of judder in the video.

So although you may not see any issues, you'd probably be better off sticking with 480p/60 output from the Anthem into your Component video projector.
--Bob

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers